Xbox

Madden and Destiny launch events at local Microsoft Stores

Microsoft Store allegedly coming to New York City

Editor's rant

Trading in a MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3

New Microsoft Store locations revealead

Microsoft to keep adding retail store locations even with restructuring

Xbox

Destiny beta event to be held at Microsoft's San Diego store Wednesday

Unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 now available from the Microsoft Store, supports LTE on T-Mobile

Editorials

Is there a new Lumia tablet coming this holiday?

Microsoft will open its 100th retail store Saturday ... sort of

Windows Phones

Microsoft won't charge people who pre-ordered Lumia 635 from its store site

Surface

Microsoft will give you $650 to trade your MacBook Air for a Surface Pro 3

Surface

Surface Pro 3 128 GB ship date pushed back by 10 days for new orders

Surface

Microsoft US cuts pricing of its Surface Pro 2 range of tablets by up to $200

Surface

Surface Pro 3 launch events to be held June 20 at Microsoft Store locations

Windows Phones

You can now buy a Windows Phone at Microsoft's UK store

This is where Microsoft Specialty Stores are opening this week in the US

Your local Microsoft Store just picked up the ultimate gaming laptop, the new Razer Blade

Contests

Win a free Windows Phone at your local Microsoft Store this weekend

Microsoft Store offering 10% + $100 off the Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 LTE for education customers

Eleven new Microsoft Specialty Stores opening next month in the United States

< >

Unofficial list of new Microsoft Store openings

Microsoft Store

With the announcement of a new Microsoft Store being built for Boston, lots of our readers anxiously await to see if Redmond will be coming to their areas soon. While Microsoft does not pre-announce these stores too far in advance, one way you can easily figure out is by simply looking up where they are hiring.

Yup, on the Microsoft Store Careers site they have many positions open and looking to be filled. What's more, these jobs are in cities not yet announced (but you can bet they will be soon). So, are you lucky?

We are. A store is opening in Huntington Station, NY, most likely at the Walt Whitman Mall. What else is at that shopping center? Why one the busiest Apple stores in New York (besides the Manhattan store). It certainly appears that Microsoft is gunning for Cupertino on their own turf and we'll be there to cover it.

Without further ado, the unofficial Microsoft Store list as compiled by reader Travis:

• White Plains, NY
  • Huntington Station, NY
  • Newark, DE
  • Overland Park, KS
  • Salem, NH
  • Orlando, FL
  • Arlington, VA
  • Bridgewater, NJ (Bridgewater Commons)
  • Freehold, NJ (Raceway Mall)
  • Danbury, CT (Danbury Fair Mall)

Great to see the East coast finally getting some stores. Celebrate in comments. Thanks, Travis B., for the list; Image via the Denver Post

Comments

PapiChulo74 says:

I wish they would build one in Sacramento, CA!

EJNelly says:

Agreed. Keep thinking the Roseville Galleria would be perfect.

NIST says:

Arden Mall

EJNelly says:

No reason we can't have one competing with the Apple stores at both locations.

Sumit8 says:

STUTTGART, GERMANY
please.

neo158 says:

Not a chance, don't forget there isn't any other countries outside America!!!

MediaCastleX says:

Pish-posh...don't Cali already have like a thousand Microsoft stores?! =/

Quin 2013 says:

No, Cali doesn't have bunch. Although I would love to see a MS store open up directly across from an apple store in San Francisco, Ca.

stacero says:

Life complete if they open a store in Arden.

Newark is NJ. Capital of New Jersey.

lol, this is true but in this case it is refering to Newark, DE ;-)

blnwp says:

WTF?

1- It's Newark, DE and not Newark, NJ
2- Newark is the largest city in NJ, not the capital city. Capital is Trenton.

I'm not even from US and I know this. You need to go back to school.

JamesDax3 says:

I'm from Wilmington, DE though I currenty live in Philadelphia, PA.  There is indeed a Newark, DE and it's the home of the University of Delaware.  Though I'm disapointed that there still no annoucement of a store coming to Philly, a store in my home state is close enough.

ahuczek says:

Yeah same here. It would be really interesting if they built one on walnut st to compete w the apple store there. That's like apple central though so it would surely be a tough fight. Maybe when they've got more momentum with windows 8!

I live in Newark, DE so this is def awesomeness.  But you guys in Philly, it's not too far, atleast there is now going to be one in Delaware Valley...  I am a little suprised myself they didn't build it in Philly, but atleast a 40 min drive down 95 beats hundreds of miles....

pjs37 says:

Yeah first off the whole Newark, NJ thing boggled my mind but 50 people pointed out the error so I will move on...as for the Philly store stuff I agree.  I am shocked that like King of Prussia doesn't have a store yet planned.  In terms of retail space is the largest in the US and in terms of store numbers its like the second largest. Plus there is empty spaces like right near the Apple store there so its perfect for MS to target.  Oh well maybe I will make a trip to Newark, DE at least there is no sales tax there...

vizagdude says:

Dude... Newark is in a lot of other states and for your information, Trenton is the the capital of NJ.
Here is a test for you, What is the capital of New York? (Hint: Not Manhattan).

mccasive says:

Having a lots of fun here. Manhattan is a borough of New York City and certainly cannot be the capital of New York State, Albany actually is the capital of NY. Any prize for me?

XboxOmac says:

Laredo, TX! :[

ejlee072006 says:

I have 2 stores in orange county cali

Duffau says:

Why not go with the top 10 cities in the US population wise? I can understand that they may not be the best choice simply because they have a lot of people, but the sheer amount of people has to be worth something. Im honestly wondering why Dallas and San Antonio, TX dont have stores. Here in SA, we have 2 Apple stores and one of them is in one of the most unique malls in the US, La Cantera (check it out online).

gdarlington says:

We need one in Las Vegas, NV

Yes! The Fashion Show mall would be perfect!

We need one in dallas

parthp90 says:

I can say that there is in fact one opening in freehold mall

Phen0m24 says:

Freehold.. I applied to hear...nothing.

WPSteve says:

Grr... NYC :[

soulzero says:

One is openning in the Danbury Fair Mall in Danbury, CT which is not too far from NYC...

smoledman says:

I don't think MSFT will get to 75 stores by end of 2013.

cool8man says:

I think they will. They only have to open 3 stores a month to reach 75 stores by end of 2013 and they're already close to that pace right now.

Tahiti Bob says:

Have they ever mentioned building stores outside the US? Apple Stores are unchallenged in the rest of the world.

Chicken7 says:

Damn straight. I don't think we'll see Microsoft Stores in Australia for another 3 years, yet Apple Stores are popping up at every major shopping centre, not just one per city.

smoledman says:

That would be ridiculous if Microsoft takes another 3 years to open up stores in Europe, Japan, China, Australia. They should start with a Toronto store this fall.

shinho says:

Cardiff Uk!
Get on it Microsoft :D

Marco300 says:

He he he... In St David's?

MediaCastleX says:

Second! Windows for the Doctor..? =P

Nakazul says:

Wish there would be on where i live here in Sweden. We got a Apple store....feels like MSFT is late to the game in the store selection, i pray it will go faster.

MediaCastleX says:

No one is ever late for anything until they're dead...I hate when people say things like that. -_-

AriesDog says:

King of Prussia, PA. Please, please, please.

CAVX says:

While I've never liked the "call a company by the city it operates in" tactic, it's especially confusing in this article, where you're already talking about cities.

issieman says:

Why does Microsoft need a store? Unless they are going to show something unique. Of course they could always show the surface table as used in Hawaii 5-0.

cool8man says:

Things like Zune and webTV and Ultimate TV might not have failed if Microsoft owned a giant retail footprint. Look at how Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Apple have been able to quickly establish proprietary media devices like Kindle, Nook, and iPod. They were only able to do that because of their retail backing. It also lessens Microsofts reliance on Gamestop for Xbox and may one day enable them more freedom in business models.

Microsoft needs to control the retail experience. Have you purchased a PC at a Best Buy or Staples? You don't always have knowledgeable sales people, good demo units, the best hardware, a pleasant buying experience, etc. At the end of the day so much of what Microsoft does must be in response to Apples wild success. The iPad and even Mac has started to make too many inroads into the Windows PC business. There is no PC response to the Apple stores and that quality of retail experience. Many PC and electronic stores have disappeared over the past decade (CompUSA, Circuit City, etc.) and nothing has replaced them other than Apple stores. Apple stores don't sell PCs.

I've long felt of all the things Microsoft is doing the retail stores may be the most important.

Michigan gets NO love! Lol. I don't even think we have an Apple store.

Unfortunately, we have many Apple stores. The one in Troy's Summerset Mall smells like a combination of BO and weed. Drop a Microsoft store in there to balance out the sh@t pumped out by that store.

nizzon says:

To show of the upcoming Win8 tablets and hybrid laptops. It will be awesome!

dougwallace says:

Toronto? It is just the 5th largest city in North America Microsoft.

Crocography says:

Agreed, and why all of those small time towns in the USA?

mythos13 says:

It would be nice if they would move into Canada but it would definitely complicate the building, shipping, accounting etc. so I can see why they want to get well established in the US first. Hopefully it will be soon time to being their international expansion. I know Apple really benefits from their stores and they are grabbing higher market share in countries where they have a big presence. If you look at the statcounter stats for OSes you can see that Apple’s share in Canada and Australia is the highest in the world and these are two countries where there are a lot of Apple Stores and no Microsoft stores.

Apple is building a store in Halifax now but considering Toronto doesn’t have any Microsoft stores yet I’m sure it is going to be a long time before we see a Microsoft store in Halifax. Meanwhile Apple’s share keeps rising.

stevethenerd says:

Once again no love outside the US :(

LDragon2000 says:

Well I only live 4 hours from Orlando. Guess that's not too far...

Verkunder says:

North Carolina gets the shaft. Two Apple stores here in Charlotte....

Los says:

I really hope they open one in Hartford, CT

Edit: They should also update the Microsoft Store app. Add more features like being able to browse all their products, and make purchases straight from the app without even having to sign in cause your Live ID is tied to your phone

DavidinCT says:

Well, Danbury fair mall is about 2 hours from me but, I have family who lives there, I'll have to see a Microsoft store and stay the night :)

They should put one in one of the Casinos here in CT. They do have a Apple store....

I just want to see one, Just to see the lineup and what they are selling... Not that I can't buy anything for less money on-line someplace :)

Mr4eyes86 says:

Tampa,Florida please!!!!!

greendude33 says:

I'm with you there!

dameon_03 says:

arlington, va I'm from dc not living there now but arlington is close

oasis1489 says:

i think mr. rubino is a little late to the microsoft store party -- they have always opened their stores directly across from or in the same plaza/street as apple stores.  its their strategy for a little healthy competition. they're quite open about it.

Smg-Uk says:

Basildon,Essex,UK Please ! :D

jkercado says:

Wishing we had one in San Antonio. The drive to Austin is around 45 minutes...

gmantione says:

Lol wtf, White Plains? Maybe that's for the Palisades Mall, but idk why they would choose that over someplace else in NY like Albany, Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse... Heck, put one in the Smithaven Mall!... But White Plains? -_-

erzhik says:

So, VA gets 2 stores now? Having a store in Arlington seems kinda unnecessary. There is not much flow of shoppers there. They already have a perfect store in Tyson's.

rubenbest says:

YAY!! I LIVE IN NEWARK DE THEY ARE THINKING OF US IN THE SMALLL STATE WOOT!!

arwind24 says:

Screw NYC how about Albany NY the state capital

MediaCastleX says:

What, where the governor is would probably never get anything done! Lol, jk... =P

JoePR31 says:

The Dallas-Fort Worth metropolitan area is one of the top 5 largest in the country. What are you waiting for, Microsoft??

NIST says:

What about all the Walmarts and Targets that have those gawd awful mini apple store displays? Lets get some presence in there. They move a ton of product.

jyerby says:

Guess I shouldn't hold my breath for a location near Birmingham =P

coeus89 says:

Yessss Danbury!!!

venetasoft says:

Bassano del Grappa, Vicenza, Italy pleaseeeeee :D

aeronaught says:

They need a store in Birmingham, AL!

tboggs13 says:

First, we need a few MS stores in the Dallas - Fort Worth area, we have Apple Stores all over the place. We also have a MS Campus next door to a Nokia Campus, suprised me the first time I drove by that they are actually neighbors. They would have some built in customers if they built it in the Irving area.
Miscrosoft needs to accelerate things as retail electronics stores are failing other than Apple. Best Buy is in trouble, Circuit City is gone and Fry's doesn't seem to be growing quickly. I think MS should do a deal with Best Buy. No serious Apple user buys their hardware from Best Buy, as one put it "that's blasphemy". Let's push out the in store Apple aisle and replace it with MS stores. Maybe they could even take a few of buildings off Best Buys hands and convert the whole store to MS Stores.
I know it wouldn't be upscale, but I also thought Mall Kiosks could be a hit. Take up some floor space, put a kinnect running Dance Central at each end, line the sides with Tablets and Phone you would get some traffic.

holmesr says:

+1 for DFW. They obviously don't know how I like my toys are they would already be making a place for me to come visit. :)

sholokov says:

Why Danbury CT? It is on the west border of the state. I would have thought they would choose a mall somewhere in the center of CT, e.g. Buckland Hill Mall or West Farm Mall. West Farm Mall has an Apple store.

danielm298 says:

There is one in Lenox mall, buckhead .Atlanta Ga

RaRa85 says:

I'm in Baltimore so looks like I'll be gassing up the car to check out NY. Plus I have never been so this is the perfect excuse.

jabtano says:

Salem NH YES!!

chucky78 says:

We definitely need some here in Canada. Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal would make sense. Apple already has there presence here.

Dorknight says:

Yes!! Totally going to Arlington when it opens

TheStav says:

What is Microsoft selling in existing stores other than
software? Please enlighten me I live in Australia.
 Apple has recently opened a very slick looking 600 square
metre store in the city centre.
 The other morning whilst sitting in a cafe across the
road from the Apple store, sipping my skinny soy chi latte
with a hazelnut twist, I found it difficult to look in any other
direction. The place was buzzing at 9.30am on a monday.
I counted at least 40 potential customers and 8 or so sales
persons.
 A trillion dollar corporation by years end......probably.
 If we get a Microsoft store here, I'm hoping it will have the
same presence.
 Windows smart phones can be counted on one hand and
not all phone sales outlets carry all brands. In some stores
you have to ask the question 'Do you have any Windows
7.5 phones in store'? The desktop or notebook experience
by potential customers is not in their mindset when it comes
to a new phone.
 iPhones virtually sell themselves and Android phones offer
a mindboggling array, in terms of both choice and pricepoint.
 I do see a Windows store in the near future full of Windows 8
tablets, ultrabooks and 7.5 or 8 smartphones. The usual
ensemble of professionally presented software with a range of
quality accessories tastefully placed in store. Importantly, highly
trained personel that don't shove product down your throat.

blessthejon says:

San Antonio, Texas. :P

Send me your resumes at jayesh.amin@collabera.com
I'm hiring for this stores :)