Microsoft unveils Windows Phone 7.8 update for current hardware

WP Central

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7.8

The question of what Microsoft would do for those current Windows Phone users who have generation 1 and generation 1.5 devices like the HTC Titan or the highly popular Nokia Lumia 900 for Windows Phone 8 has finally been answered.

Windows Phone 8’s main features involve new hardware like multi-core processors, NFC and higher resolution displays. Phones like the Lumia 900 cannot take advantage of these new features but Windows Phone 8 also brings additional changes to the Start screen which current users can take advantage of.

In able to ensure that current customers have the best and latest from Microsoft, the company is officially offering Windows Phone 7.8 as an OS upgrade. Windows Phone 7.8 will still be based on the CE kernel and won’t enable advanced Windows Phone 8 features like app and games that use native programming, but it will give current users the new Start screen and appearance of Windows Phone 8.

The new Start screen in Windows Phone 8 has three new elements, including

• Variable tile sizes, including user customizable selection between small, medium and so-called “double wide” tiles
  • Removal of the “gutter” aka “the gap” known as the off-centered space to the right of the Start screen. The gutter was a carry-over from the Zune days but now Tiles will be evenly distributed on the Start screen
  • New tile colors – yes, while the 10 + 1 model of Accent colors for Windows Phone carried us for nearly two years, Windows Phone 8 and Windows Phone 7.8 will offer a wider selection of colors

Although not being able to directly upgrade to the new NT kernel of Windows Phone 8 may be a bit of a letdown for current users, the Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade should offer new Windows Phone users nearly the same experience considering their lack of advanced hardware.

Update: Nokia just announced Play To DLNA support, Counters for data information, Nokia Music 3.0 and Camera Extras for all current Lumia phones

Do you think it’s a fair compromise and are you satisfied? Let us know in comments.

WP Central

Comments

cliff08er says:

I was itching to buy a new WP over the last couple of months glade I waited and didn't buy.

iggypop120 says:

I doubt the trophy even gets 7.8. I wonder how much I can get to sell this. I'd rather go back to android. At least I can root my way to ice cream sandwich

hyperova says:

Lol did you even read the article? Gen 1 and Gen 1.5 get the 7.8 update, also if your going to downgrade to android go do it, instead of bringing your problems here, good day to you sir I look forward to you inevitable return to WP :P

AzD says:

LOL? The article says the update will be "offered". It doesn't say carriers will have to push it out. I wonder what resources carriers will put into upgrading these old phones?

Im_On_One says:

Shut up stupid idiot

I wasn't aware you could root ICS ROMs onto 1st gen Android devices. Or even 2nd gen Android devices, for that matter. Hmmm, IIRC, even some 3rd gen Android devices can't get ICS. What was your point again?

Satisfied :D but I don't count I bought my lumia 900 outright and still have my upgrade coming at the end of the year but I won't upgrade till next April to keep the 2 year mark from my Samsung focus phone so Dan I'm pleased with windows/Microsoft ideas and support :D keep up the flawless work wer keepn up on the reading

Im excited for the changes and I think its definately fair. I just love my phone and missing out on a few games is the least of my worries.  Cant wait to resize tiles, more color options, and Im sure optimised code that will only make my device that much better!

Fiann says:

Except it won't be a few games, it will be pretty much ALL games and likely the vast majority of other apps too. You see that Chase app in the demonstration? Yeah, you probably won't be getting that either.

No way - non CPU intensive apps will be written in .net. You've got to really need performance to write in C++. Games aside I doubt anything will use native C++ other than to reuse current code.

diplomat696 says:

Precisely why I have not upgraded my V1 WP7 Focus to this point. I suspected based on the fact that they would not come out and say they would upgrade all phones that they would not be completing a full upgrade to the current line of users.
Anyone who is disappointed though to me should probably check those emotions because WP7.5 is already sexy and smooth and what we saw this morning looks awesome for the start screen etc in WP8. I bet there will still be tons of apps for current handset users who eventually upgrade to 7.8.
Enjoy the ride everyone!!!

Will the dvp get the update? I highly doubt it.

hyperova says:

Haha my 2year contract runs out november-October some time so I think it works out well for me :P sorry other people! And it was obviously going to be something like this we all knew duel core ect. Was coming so obviously we weren't going to be able to run everything WP8 could so im happy that they at least gave us that new awesome home screen among other things no doubt and don't forget people its still more love than people that have bought apple products receive when an upgrade is released haha :P

21stNow says:

How do you figure this?  When the iPhone 4S came out with iOS 5, the iPhone 4 and 3GS were able to update to iOS 5, as well.  True, the older hardware didn't get Siri, but there was a 16 month gap between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.  Estimates are that there will be a seven month gap between the Lumia 900/Titan II and a Windows Phone 8.
To me, it seems like Apple users get the love while Windows users got the door with a nice wave (home-screen change, really?!) bye-bye.

Thamuz says:

Like you said, older hardware didn't get everything out of the update. And the reason iPhone 4 didn't get Siri wasn't even hardware related! The only thing current phones will be missing out on (excluding support for new hardware features, duh) are apps written using native code but that's actually also a hardware problem so there is not much anybody can do about it. Yes it sucks but it would always suck, no matter when they would have done it. What did you expect, that they wouldn't release or even sell any phones for a year so that no people feel left out? No matter when they had done it, there would alwas have been people who would have just bought a phone, just like there probably are people you will buy an iPhone 4s a month before the iPhone 5 is released. They had to do it sometime, better to do it now than later.

jdep1 says:

Yes bc the goal is to have the best experience on there OS

Jazmac says:

I think I'm comfortable with 7.8. My main issue was hearing what was to come from the horses mouth. I have that now and my Lumia 900 still rocks. Did I miss if either platform is getting notification?

sdreamer says:

What features do we get exactly? Do we get ye new maps and turn by turn at least? I really feel shafted. Probably get an iPhone next time seeing how ios 6 still supports all the way up to the 3GS, apple has better legacy support than MS. I think Microsoft should offer a 100$ credit to recent purchasers of Windows Phone for sticking them in this situation.

Im_On_One says:

Do you know how to read? We get everything WP8 is getting except for NFC and native code apps.

walnutcrunch says:

That's not what's being reported by Paul Thurrott today (one of the original people who reported months ago that no existing devices will get the upgrade)... He's specifically saying only new Start Screen, tile sizes, and Windows Update (no more carrier blocking updates) will come to WP7.8.

Sounds good to me. We will still be able to run WP8 apps so long as they don't use native code, and of course we can't take advantage of new features based on new hardware.
Nobody should be disappointed really. They've brought WP 7.x devices up to par as much as possible to WP8.

walnutcrunch says:

I think you're underestimating what apps can't run in WP7.8. In addition to DirectX games written in native code, apps that are written for the WinRT API (the API for Metro apps) will also not run on WP7.8. This means most new apps will not run on WP7.8 because developers will choose the newer API which supports code sharing between WP8 and Win8, vs the legacy Silverlight API which only runs on WP7.x.
A good portion of existing WP7.x apps will likely update to take advantage of new tile sizes. But IMO the devs will soon focus development on WinRT.

Is this definitely the case? I would have expected 7.8 will include support for apps written in .net using the later environment, just excluding specific featured and native code. Just postulating though.

Thamuz says:

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-officially-announces-windows-phone-8   Daniel Rubino clearly writes (and I quote) "Moreover, applications for Windows Phone 7.x will automatically run on Windows Phone 8 with little or no changes to the code of the app.  Apps coded on Windows Phone 8 will conversely run on Windows Phone 7.x as well so long as they don’t use native coding"

blackhawk556 says:

The only biG problem I see, is current users not being able to run native apps. When the big name apps start showing up, people who bought their phone today (2yr) contract, will not be able to play those games four/five months from now when they are released. This is the only big problem I see. All the new big games will keep showing "your device is not supported" on phones they buy today and up until wp8 is released.

deadwrong03 says:

This is fine I was planning to pay full retail for my next phone anyway so I can keep my unlimited data anyway hopefully by the fall Verizon releases something
New

valapsp says:

From my understanding current Windows Phoners get the new Start Screen only? No other new features of Windows Phone 8?

JoeScuba says:

Just because you CAN upgrad to WP7.8 doesn't necessarily mean AT&T is going to LET you upgrade to it!  I know they're no longer supporting a LOT of WP7 devices, so it's just a matter of months before the Titan II and Lumia are tossed aside by them.
Sounds like the long-time WP users are getting a little screwed over on this deal.

paschott says:

According to one of Paul Thurrott's posts, MS will push 7.8 directly to devices - totally bypassing carriers (about time).

pLUSpISTOL says:

@paschott - that's brilliant!

mvierling says:

I don't care what Paul says.  The carriers will NEVER allow that to happen.

They already do allow it -- for iOS. Apple pushes updates whenever they want to. Is Microsoft not big enough to work out the same deal?

pittphan says:

I think it makes sense. I was always going to upgrade anyway for NFC, high res display etc.

FFugue says:

It's ok. I would have liked to have WP8, but 7.8 still seems pretty good. I just wish it will have Smart Glass to connect to my XBOX and my future Surface Pro!!!

pavvento says:

I think MSFT can go a long way by pushing 7.8 much sooner than WP8 since it doesn't require the hardware upgrades/changes.  This will probably make current users (myself included) happier and if I really like what I see I'll bite the bullet (who am I kidding, I'm doing it anyway...) and upgrade contract free for a WP8 device.
I do however find it a terrible marketing strategy to push the Lumia 900 as heavy as Nokia, MSFT and AT&T did while also stating it will be obsolete in less than 8 months time.  A flagship phone should be a phone that performs optimally for the length of a contract.

can't upgrade from my L900 until spring 2014 (!) *sigh* WP9, maybe

Caslav says:

The solution that nobody wants to hear is to not take the discounted price and subsidize the cost of your phone over a 24 month contract.  Your $199 (now $99) Lumia 900 was/is really a $600 or $700 device.  It's not MS's fault the entire cost model for purchasing cell phones was botched from the start...blame the carriers for that.

21stNow says:

Are those non-US prices? I paid $449 no-commitment from AT&T.

big dooze says:

man, some of you are hillarious.  we get an update...a major one, and you are still pissed.  I have a lumia 900, and yes, i wish i could get all the bits, i am still excited about WP7.8.

fogel35 says:

This is hardly a major update.  This is cosmetic config file changes, sorry support a lot of Unix machines at work,  to wp7.5 to just look like wp8.  There is absolutely no under the hood work for CE.  Titan 1&  2, Lumia 710,800, 900 and the current Samsung phones are dead ends.

Rob41664 says:

I imagine now we can watch all the momentum with the Lumias fall off a cliff until WP8 hits. I wasnt expecting a full upgrade for my Lumia but was hoping for everything that wasnt hardware dependent. Oh well I was planning on getting a new phone once WP8 hit anyway.
I agree could have still called it WP8 lite or something for the upgrade.

big dooze says:

No one EVER said the 1st & 2nd Gen devices were getting the upgrade.  if you ae pissed off because you bought a Lumia 900 "hoping" it would get WP8, then you are a fool.  I bought one, knowing it wouldnt get WP8, but its a great phone, and when my contract renews, guess what, i will get the latest and greatest WP phone at that time...
Just be glad that we are getting an upgrade, we could be like Android and take a year to roll it out, or not get it at all.

pLUSpISTOL says:

What it seemingly comes down to is the single processor. In theory, 7.8 would be fair for 1st gen devices such as my Omnia7 but not for 2nd gen such as the Lumia range. Sadly this won't be the case. I will buy a new WP8 but it is nice to know whoever I give my Omnia7 to will get a good experience; those who have 2nd gen phones, I think you're right to feel a little aggrieved.

ooblyboo says:

Meh. As an omnia 7 user I am not too upset. Had I taken the plunge on a lumia 900 I might feel a bit more aggrieved. But then this was to be expected right? I will wait for next gen windows phones before upgrading.

helio2k says:

I think it's a fair traid Great Job MS keep it comming.
Cheers.

ChrisSnazell says:

Satisfied? Not really.

With the exception of the screen size there's not really anything in the hardware requirements for Window 8 on ARM that isn't in my HTC HD7 or Lumia 800. So why WP8 needs new hardware's a bit of a mystery.

As a developer I've now got two different Windows Phone platforms to support. Since WinRT and Silverlight have less in common than MS would have you think. I think the current updates in work for my apps will be the last on WP7 & I'll focus on W8 & WP8.

walnutcrunch says:

I totally agree. I'll upgrade existing apps to support new tile sizes, then probably not much more than that. Effort will then be focused on porting them to WinRT.

conorn says:

Seems fair enough.  Existing hardware can't support more than the Start Screen.  Only fear is if app development for 7 will stall, as 8 has more native code, etc.

jdevenberg says:

Unless they come up with a way for my Lumia 900 to keep getting new apps,  no I'm not satisfied.  I've been using WP7 since the day the HD7 launched on T-Mobile, and now my Lumia 900, which will be approx. 6 months old when WP8 comes out, will likely not get any additional updates beyond 7.8 and will see few new apps.  Why did I leave Android again?

Im_On_One says:

Would you rather not get an update at all? Stop being an entitled brat

fogel35 says:

This isn't being an entitled brat.  This is watching the "ecosystem" getting splintered into people with a robust app selection to a dead end ecosystem.  That screeching halt you heard, was development for Windows CE/7.5 apps.  Micrsoft could always compound their mistake by throwing good money after bad money to try to keep 7.5's ecosystem on life support but what company is stupid enough to do that?

Im_On_One says:

The ecosystem will be fine, who cares about apps? Integrated features are better

Auric Jarrel says:

Why did you buy a lumia so soon? I've had my HD7 since launch and still have it. Know why? Because I know the hardware our phones have can only do so much and I knew by the time WP8 came out that I would want a device that could support everything it had to offer.

chall3ng3r says:

Man!!! MS should have supported at least 2nd Gen WP devices with 1.4+GHz processors.
Also so far no mention of some kind of notification center, so all missed notifications of not tiled apps can be seen.
MS, listen to the users!!!
// chall3ng3r //

1101x10 says:

This is bad for existing customers. You will get a bit of window dressing but the core feature which is native code is missing. So apps will be easier to be ported from other systems but you won't be able to run them. The excuse that existing devices can't run win8 is BS. The iPhone 3GS can run iOS5 and thats single core with 256mb of memory. Microsoft has shafted it's customers again.

Im_On_One says:

We are not shafted, would you rather not get an update at all?

Ticomfreak says:

Nope. You fail to realize that WP8 has a new kernel, while iOS 1-6 have never changed the kernel

Thamuz says:

Exactly. The only thing you can say is that it is unfortunate that they chose to change the kernel but if it has to be done, I'd rather have it sooner than later. No matter at which point they did it, changing the kernel would always be a pita but all in all I think current users are off just fine.

They need to pay for peoples with 2nd gen devices upgrades fees $200 would be a nice start

Mio_Ray says:

This is fine by me. At least some apps for wp8 will also run on Wp7.8. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Really looking forward to the update hitting mu NL800 :)

walnutcrunch says:

This is not technically correct. WP7 apps written in Silverlight/XNA will also run on WP8. Apps written for WP8 are written in WinRT/DirectX, which won't run on WP7.8. While it's true that developers can target Silverlight/XNA when they write new apps, chances are they will target WinRT instead to get a common code base between Win8 and WP8. New apps support on WP7.8 looks bleak, IMHO as a developer.

samuch says:

Lumia 900 owner and pissed. If there wasn't a complete divide of app support id be fine with just not being able to install apps that use NFC and so on. But no, this screws us.

rceballos10 says:

You'll be fine. Nokia will still be updating their phones to get as much as the wp8 experience as possible.

mjfadaway says:

I have a Lumia 900, and I think this approach is fair by Microsoft. So im not upset, but will be selling my phone for an Apollo device. Cheer up guys. This was the only way! At least they acknowledged us. They didn't have to do anything.

mythos13 says:

It's exaclty what I expected. I wanted to buy an unlocked cyan Lumia 900 to run on Bell knowing that it would likely not get the full WP8 but I was not able to get one. I guess I'll wait for WP8 now but I still wouldn't rule out buying an unlocked Lumia 900 in cyan to do me becuase that is how much I want to move on from my HD7.

scottcraft says:

I think it's fair. It would be nice to get everything on the current phones, but some is better than nothing.

pavvento says:

I'm ready for a bit of a conspiracy since I love them...WP8 gets a ton of press in the next few days with the caveat that current phones can't upgrade but will get 7.8.  In a week or so Nokia announces that the upgrade will work (just not NFC) with the 900 giving their sales a shot in the arm.  Now if I only had a magic bullet...

paschott says:

If only that turns out to be the case.... Would definitly make Lumia owners a bit happier and I could totally do without NFC support right now.  I can deal with missing the hardware security for wallet, too. Wait and see for several months down the road, I guess. :(

MistaWet says:

Before I spend on a new device, I will invest in a new Surface tablet. My phone provides me with more than enough data and features. Anything else is a bonus.

The new WP8 apps won't work on current devices, right? So we are left out of the ecosystem from now on?

zacman says:

Yes, it is a burning platform now.
And what's worse it's not only bout new apps but also about updates for existing apps.
Because lets face it: Most developers will port their existing WP7 apps to WP8 RT framework which is inompatible with WP7's silverlight framework but works on WP8 as well as WindowsRT 8 and Windows 8. So porting to RT framework makes lots of sense for developers. And then the developers basically have to maintain two different platforms for updates: silverlight and RT. And silverlight only has about 2% marketshare but RT is the future.
So I'm pretty sure that after maybe 6 months developers will just quit supporting also the silverlight framework with updates as this is a lot of more work but generates very little income compared to the RT framework.
So future updates for poular apps (like WhatsApp for example) will only appear for WP8.

Miistercoool says:

I hope 7.8 gets the Nokia maps too :O

texantony says:

i think it's fair. I understand that new technology that works with new hardware is not going to completely work for my phone. The hardware is not there, but I'm glad quite a bit of features including the new start screen will be part of older phones.
Most people are stuck with contracts but I'm pretty sure deals will rise.
I'm actually very excited about windows 8 now. Time to start saving.

I can see why this has come about, after all current windows phones dont have the hardware thats needed for Windows Phne 8 many new features. Its ok for many early adopters, but not good for people in the last 6 months have purchased a new Lumia device for example...Though the OS will get upgraded and look and feel like Windows 8, you will soon find that you are not getting the apps that will become more available, nor VOIP stuff....

Oh well, my upgrade is November, perfect timing...

Gaiking says:

This is fine with me. We can't expect an updated OS to take advantage of hardware that our phones simply don't have.

Mr4eyes86 says:

So we won't be able to download new apps made for wp8 when it's released later this year on our current handsets?

paschott says:

Lumia 900 owner as well and pretty disappointed. Seeing the multitasking feature now and knowing that there's no native code support in this partial upgrade makes me think that this is a pretty limited upgrade. Even their casual game from Big Fish seemed to require the new code support so what does that say about existing users?
I completely understand not being able to support the hardware dependent features, but losing the things that are really software dependent hurts quite a bit. Definitely will hold off on upgrading my wife's phone as she'll love some of those new features. For me, my next phone will likely be bought at full price because MS isn't quite giving us everything we need for existing customers.
I do appreciate that the update will supposedly be pushed in a way that bypasses the carriers, though. That's a nice touch.

jaybee says:

Kind of a drag to not get new apps when devs start using the new SDK, but I install a new app on average once every few weeks. This is a much better solution than what Palm/HP did to original Pre owners. In that situation, the company went public saying that all legacy devices would get the next OS version. A few months later, they reversed and said there would be no upgrade path for legacy devices. They really screwed a lot of people and they knew it, which is why they tried to "make it right" by offering a $50 credit on the TouchPad.

I think most people know full well that when they buy a phone there's a good chance it will lose support at some point. Look at Android for an example. Most users are still on an operating system that is 2 versions old. There is now talk about version 5 being released while version 4 is only available to a few handsets. I'll gladly take this scenario over waiting a year for an update only to hear that the OEM or carrier won't push the update. As long as Nokia keeps improving the firmware for the 900, I'll be happy.

This is a fine compromise. A large part of the commenters on this thread and over at The Verge need to stop their whinning. Did you really expect to get full WP8 when they are making massive HARDWARE changes? we will get the software changes for the most part, which is better then nothing at ALL, which is exactly what most android phones get.
I don't hear all the bitching and whinning going on with android when they release a phone, that is outdated in a few months when a OS upgrade comes out that they won't get.

invertme says:

I bought my 900 fully expecting not to get WP8. I plan to buy a WP8 phone right when they come out too! I'll give my 900 to the woman or my daughter.

I knew Microsoft wouldn't abandon the platform either. Honestly if upgrading existing phones to WP8 would hold the platform back I would be much less happy than how it turned out.

AdamG2468 says:

Good point and in all honesty I will be getting the WP8 when it comes out also...

Shobiz says:

When I broke my contract ($180). I switch from Sprint (HTC Arrive) to AT&T for the Lumia. I knew then I would get a WP8. I'll just wait for what ever Nokia comes out with. It will probably come after Christmas anyway. Shot...I wasted more money on stuff that I can't show. At least this something I will carry around everyday.

ubuntuai says:

And who says there won't be custom wp8 roms for the Legacy devices?

bsmerl says:

Bad for me...i just got my phone and it is now a legacy device... Hard to wait 18 more months for the new OS. Guess wp7 device sales will now plummet due to this announcement.

AdamG2468 says:

Well, this is a huge let down. Lets face it. Lumia 900 users should be disappointed...

rebinoh says:

Why? Did the specs of the L900 promise multicore support or higher resolution support or the ability to change kernels? I don't think so.
Hardware upgrades come with new capabilities. I think people were expecting too much from their current devices which were never mentioned or promised.
Nokia has been "johnny on the spot" in addressing problems with their current devices by acknowledging the concerns of the user and issuing fixes for them as soon as they were able. How many iOS or Android users can claim that?
My significant other is still waiting for ICS for their Galaxy Note and Xoom tablet. Even after writing Google a number of times.
This compromise is suitable for me right now until I'm able to upgrade to a newer device. And depending on what other features I'll receive OTA, I may hold off altogether.
It's not like you all have buyer's remorse because none of the older models are receiving any type of update. Let's just wait to see what the update brings before issuing condemnations for MS & Nokia.

ncxcstud says:

So, what's better?  Being offered an update that is numbered slightly different from the next big upgrade (WP7.8) or being offered an updated titled WP8 that doesn't get you all the 'goodies' of WP8?  Basically one route is what Microsoft is doing, the other is what Apple does (if I'm understanding their update philosophy).

I prefer being given AN update for my almost 2 year old Focus, that doesn't tout itself to be 'all' of what WP8 does, as opposed to being given a WP8 'update' with a bunch of asterisks of what my phone cannot do.

Stinks for L900 users though....

dkp23 says:

For me, i knew the risk going in, so i am not bothered so much.  I just hope we get ScreenShot.

Totally agree with this summary although as a brand new l800 owner I am still happy.

yosagojimbo says:

How can any WP7 user recommend their Lumia to any user (other than to try sell it on),
Nokia and MS have wasted a ton of advertising money on the Lumia range, I wonder if it was to shift a warehouse full of shite legacy handsets that no-one will want to buy as the support will stop when WP8 comes out

dkp23 says:

For me, i didnt recommend the phone to my friends.  I told them to wait for wp8.
No need to recommend a phone that i know may not get fully supported with an upgrade, i'd be lying to them.  I like my lumia and that is good enough for me.  My friends asked about my phone and was consdiering getting one.  I said if you want, but i told them to wait.

Ambrose99 says:

Easy. The Lumia 900 is still a great phone. Win 8 may be better, but that doesn't diminish my excellent experience. At this point, I'd probably say to hold off as long as they can for 8, but if they must upgrade NOW due to a broken phone or what have you, I still would pick my Lumia 900 over Android or iOS.

Odog4ever says:

No. Just no.
Nokia/MS are building a brand. They have gotten nothing but good press from the Lumia line. If you think a new Lumia that runs WP8 won't be there at launch you are crazy.
It's just like Verizon did with the Droid line. Do you think they tell customers when they walk in the store that a new phone in the Droid line is only 3-6 months away? No, they don't.
Even iphones keep selling after the yearly announcement of a new hardware revision. Why? Because people always need phones and may not be able to wait for a certain time frame, or they don't keep up with tech news (Which is most people).

naset says:

No problem guys..we still have xda-developers ;-)
Remember the old htc hd2? Our legacy phone will get the apollo xda-dev way. :)

I have no problem with not having 8 if 7.8 looks the same and the vast majority of apps will work. I might miss out on the latest and greatest games but that is progress. The .net apps will work just fine so I'm happy.

It's a very big task running two different versions so hats off to MS for the update but I suppose it is what they are very good at. The appeal of a shared kernal between tablets, pcs and phones is very appealing!

jrico says:

I'm ok with it.  It used to be you had to buy a whole new phone to get any new features.  Upgradable phones are a fairly recent phenomena.  Plus, my current HTC Trophy does everything I need it to right now.  Waiting another year to upgrade to a Windows 8 phone just doesn't bother me.  I have a great phone right now that will get me though the wait.

smasithick says:

Genuine decision made by Microsoft for legacy devices

migueltoro says:

Hey Nokia!!!! How is this different from Symbian??? Ecosystem with no apps in the future. If i lived in Espoo I'd be throwing my lumia to Nokia Headquarters. Don't buy lumia should be trending topic. No matter what everybody says I feel deeply betrayed and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I disagree - .net apps will be compatible and thus the majority of apps will work.

migueltoro says:

"majority of the apps" Should I feel o.k. with majority with a brand new phone? And don't tell me I'm an idiot because I didn't wait, here in Europe when your contract is over it's over and you get a new phone (at least in spain), Ooops did I say a new phone, I meant a "legacy" phone. Yes I'm pissed and hope nokia goes bankruptcy. To be honest, all I wanted is a decent whatsapp, skype, IM+ or any other instant messagin' experience and with no native support I'm not gonna get it. If I was ugly and with no GF, I'd be cryin'. It's symbian all over again.

mangoose says:

I doubt windows8/wp8 apps will run on 7.8, since its altogether a different kernel. The 7.8 update may still be a CE kernal, unlike w8/wp8's NT kernel.

The only sure thing right now is that you'll get to resize tiles in 7.8.

foosball says:

WTF!

What about those of us who want to upgrade our Android devices to WP8? Is that going to be WP 7.9? Ha,ha.

Im_On_One says:

Very idiotic thing to say

foosball says:

Thank you. Coming from you that means a lot.

How's your Swype keyboard doing?

Im_On_One says:

Don't need it dumbfuçk

weepatc says:

Windowsphone has to move on fast & this is what's happening now. They can't wait until new customers contracts run out before moving forward. That would just not make sense in the dog eat dog mobility world. For those of you who bought the Lumia, why didn't you do as I did & patiently await WP8 & the new devices that will come with it. I know Lumia owners will be pissed but don't say you are not being catered for. I too would have liked a Lumia but it was too big a gamble. It appears now my patience has been rewarded. Bring on WP8!

Ambrose99 says:

Honestly, I didn't wait as I simply couldn't stand my horribly broken (and not rooted) Android. Too many updates killed the device and I couldn't take it anymore. However, I rarely get new apps for my phone now anyway and I'm not a bandwagon app guy, so I really don't mind.
I'm very happy with my Lumia 900 purchase, and still will be when this finally releases. By the time I'm able to upgrade to 8, It'll have all the kinks worked out and most likely be a second or third gen 8 phone, possibly up to 9. I agree with their decision to move forward, I think it's a great move to have Win 8, Xbox Smartglass, and Win Phone 8 all coming around the same time (right in time for the holidays, no less), and am happy they are still going to throw current Win Phone customer a bone. I just hope this bone doesn't ruin our phones either. :)

chatscc says:

Quite good. What about the wi-fi auto sleep.?

sdreamer says:

Think the biggest problem for current owners is missing out on more app support, especially those that can run in background. I don't see why Microsoft can't invest a little more and put the kernel on existing devices even if we can't take advantage of multicore and NFC at least we could have the same apps, or at least some of the apps; like what they did with Tango. It is really annoying to think that next year WP8 users may have popular apps like Instagram while WP7.8 users can't even run it because of the kernel and what that brings over. That's what bugs me the most. I think Microsoft should seriously think it through and at least offer 50$ credit or something to recent purchasers. I think with this news out there were going to see a drop of app support and also sales. Who in their right mind would offer a WP7.5 device now when WP8 is around the corner, definitely no sales associate would advocate that. The 7.8 update is nice, buy it just isn't the right solution.

nablor says:

FU Microsoft you just lost a loyal follower, you have just made all current WP handsets ffing worthless , just got my titan and seriously pissed off fu fu fu.

timwp12 says:

Be quiet cry baby has go ahead leave and go for other crappy phones. What you worried you will get same windows phone look

nablor says:

The same ffing look won't make the ffing apps for wp8 work will they .

ousooner314 says:

With 7.8, you're really getting all of the features that are non-hardware related. The stuff left out are things that wouldn't work on your phone anyway. Hope this helps make you feel a little better.

chadwick611 says:

Glad I didn't upgrade I had a feeling this was going to happen.

Ambrose99 says:

I'm very okay with it. It sounds like they're doing everything they possibly can without ruining the phone, which is a lot more than I can say about Apple and Android.
I had an Android Galaxy S that started with Eclair. It ran fine. They threw it an upgrade to Froyo, that slowed it down considerably and made the OS more unstable. They threw an upgrade to Gingerbread, and it essentially killed the device, only 20 months after I had it.
To be honest, I never expected them to throw an OS designed for better hardware onto older phones. They want Everyone's experience to be great, and MS just seems to KNOW better than that. I would much rather prefer this than Apple's "latest upgrade now says your phone is 4G, when it still has a 3G radio installed and we don't offer a 4G phone yet" shenanigans.
In this day and age, as I've learned from experience, never expect and be very wary of upgrades. If your phone isn't desgined for it, it may behoove you to stick with your current version. If they offer an upgrade that works perfectly with your phone, well thats just a bonus, not an expectation.
MS - Please don't have this update mess with how slick my 900 is. I really enjoy it and don't want to see it messed up.

nevzy101 says:

So my hd7 is fucking useless then pissing Microsoft again fuckwits

Im_On_One says:

Calm down, you get the same features, what's your problem

ousooner314 says:

You'll get to enjoy all the features your phone can support. Anything left out is stuff that won't run anyway.

grimmethod says:

Really? You're complaining that your HD7 which isn't even made by HTC anymore is not getting brand new hardware features and software? Your phone is far from useless and there's no way you can have an HD7 without being pretty close to an upgrade because the phone has been on life support for awhile now.

schlubadub says:

Boohoo you've only got 2 years of enjoyment out of it, and it will continue to work for years to come. It may not get all the awesomeness of WP8, but it will still work as a phone, still connect to the internet and still have 100,000+ apps available to it.

phil.rick says:

I'd say this is sufficient. I mean, there will obviously be hardware limitations, so it's nice to see they're trying to bring as much as possible to the older devices.

david126 says:

When is it available Dan? Any word from MS?

laserfloyd says:

It's fair enough.  I think people buying 1.5 phones should get a major discount or ability to upgrade for free though.  I'd be pissed if I'm a 900 buyer knowing that in 3 or so months, it's that badly dated.  Will be waiting for a full on WP8 device for sure.

dortyboy says:

U mean I am stock in a 2yr contract and not be able to upgrade and take advantage. I am really pissed at MS. They are just being greedy. Knowing that the phones would need dual core it should have been installed long before

david126 says:

Oh oh, I see an ocean of windows 7 devices on Craigslist!

timwp12 says:

Yes I agree and can't wait for wp 7.8 upgrade

CobaltDragon says:

I am excited about WP again, finally. I think giving us 7.8 for current devices is a good enough way of killing off WP7 devices, and most likely they won't have to do this again since this new architecture is more modern and flexible and should hopefully lead to an upgrade system more similar to Apple's for the iPhone.
I will be happy to upgrade my HTC Radar to 7.8 and live on that for a while until a really nice WP8 phone is available - one I'll be happy with for a year or two.

olasuneri says:

That is it!
I will be glad too to upgrade my Radar to 7.8 and wait for a great WP8.

asmanthebell says:

Slap in the balls really, cheers for the 7.8 offer how about ram it and give me WP8 can't believe my brand spanking new Lumia is already classed as a legacy device. But hell im stuck with this on contract. So might as well get on with it. Anyway how about a mobile version of surface device?

timwp12 says:

everyone here Mad be quiet at least Microsoft has not forgotten current users. Also at least we will get same new look of windows 8

dabs1710 says:

Hate!!! Microsoft: U r doing ur best to loose me as a loyal customer..

olasuneri says:

It's just fair enough, the company has to move forward Os wise, hardware wise and resolution wise. We too just have to upgrade either now or sometimes in future.
Overall, I am impressed with what Microsoft is doing lately.

ousooner314 says:

I, being a gen 1 Focus owner,  think this is a good compromise because there are certain things that are just not possible with older gen hardware. However, I can also understand the frustration from the Lumia and other newer gen owners because only a few months into owning the product, they now have a device that cannot fully upgrade to WP8. I think most of the frustration will be resolved if they manage to offer natively written apps in a format that's compatible with current phones. I truly feel this would appease the masses.

4ty-phive says:

Well put fellow sooner fan

ousooner314 says:

Boomer Sooner! :)

chuckdaly says:

Any tech blog/site should revise their reviews of current WP7 devices and caution consumers to not buy them.  While its silly for poeple like original Samsung Galaxy Tab owners to cry about not getting ICS,  it isn't unreasonable for people to expect their newly launched device to work with a 6 month software update.  Microsoft just created an ecosystem that leaves current WP7 users out (Sorry leaves them with a new Launcher).  So most of the marketshare gained by new WP7 users can be potentionally lost when their phone contract is up.  I don't know who this is worse for, new lumia 900/ Titan II buyers or Microsoft.
If one doesn't buy a Windows 8 tablet or computer before their phone contract is up, what is holding them back from switching platforms?  For the record, I own a Lumia 900 that I purchased from ebay, and am due for a phone upgrade through my carrier in January.

soulzero says:

So The Nokia Comercials were right... The SmartPhone Beta test is over... Anyone who uses a Windows Phone 7.5 Device was just beta testing for Windows Phone 8...!!!
I was planning on getting a WP8 Device anyways....

Im_On_One says:

Knew this was going to happen and I'm not upset about it and plan to buy a WP8 anyway but everyone else needs to shut the fúck up and be glad you're at least getting an update.

mogipogi says:

Goodbye MicroSOFT. I'm definitely going to Iphone after I brick my lumia 800. You guys disappoint me once again.

Yes, because Apple's support for old hardware is SOOOO much better. Just because they say you get iOS5 doesn't actually mean you get all of iOS5.

penetronn says:

I know how you feel. I was upset too when Apple told me that my iPhone 3G couldn't support voice control or record video with iOS 3.0. That's why I'm a WP7 user now actually. Unfortunately, I've come to the realization that this is the new normal when it comes to technology. Shelf lives of phones and tablets are going to eventually shrink from years to months. And it's probably only going to get worse as the market gets more competitive. Probably means that the carrier industry needs to rethink the subsidization model as well.

Jakeway says:

I do feel sorry for people that have only just bought their Windows Phone 7.... This is a hard blow for people that have only had their phone for a few months and have a two year contract.
I do hope Microsoft ensure that the apps dont dry up for the Windows Phone 7.
Still... ensuring there is an update for phone so thats is really good. It means many people can ride out . I am exciting for the update.
These Windows 8 Phone are still a fair way off. Nokia have wroked hard to bring more to the phone and I am sure they will continue to support WP7 for some time.
Good to know the future will be stable on Windows Phone 8. No fragmentation on Windows Phone 8 :P

ousooner314 says:

The caveat is apps developed specifically for WP8 won't run on WP7.8. I bet unless it really needs to leverage the new hardware, most of the apps will be made to be compatible with WP7.8. This shouldn't be as big an issue as we're making it right now.

jake69 says:

Usually they let you upgrade a little pass one year. I got my 900 at launch....so by the time WP8 launched I only have to wait a few months...no big deal!

RolexDPracer says:

I think it's great. I get a mini update on my HTC Trophy before deciding what Apollo handset I go for.

Targus says:

Personally I use HD7 and don't feel upset about not getting WP8 update. But it definitely hurts Lumia users and Windows Phone's future sale.
It will stop Windows Phone's momentum from now on, and MSFT has to build up the momentum again for WP8 in a more unfriendly market. Furthermore, current users will distrust MSFT with regard to WP's update path. How many people who purchase WP7.5 devices recently with 2-yr contract will believe they won't be screwed again when WP9 is released and happily buy WP8 devices?

Sarang68 says:

Thank goodness we don't have a contract system in India.

Jrexxx says:

7.8 is useless if WP8 apps won't run on it.

Targus says:

Maybe there won't be so many WP8-exclusive apps at least for a while. As long as developers still want the legacy (I hate to use this term) userbase, they will avoid using native code as possible.
However, if Windows 8's strategy suceed (i.e., users do use Metro for most of the time instead of always going back to desktop immediately), WP7.8 userbase will be negligible comparing to billions of Windows Run Time users. At the time, WP7.8 will be completely crippled.

twint7787 says:

I really can't say I'm satisfied until we get the whole list of features legacy device owners aren't getting. A new start screen? Ehh. I'm not going to throw a tantrum like some on here because I'm smart and realized we were probably not getting WP 8. I do sort of kind of feel bad for those who bought a lumia expecting it would be upgradeable but then again you should be diligent in your research when buying a new product. There were so many stories involving the upgrade status of current Gen devices it should have been a red flag. Regardless, I feel that Microsoft is going to run into some hate for this. And probably for the surface rt/pro confusion that is inevitably to follow.

NIST says:

Extremely happy with today's announcement. Hello dual core Windows Phone 8!!!!

schlubadub says:

I wish they'd have said more about what we will and won't be getting in 7.8. I thought Kevin Shields was going to enlighten us, but instead he crapped on about Nokia some more. Yes, I know he's from Nokia but I wanted to hear how it will affect the vast majority of us NOT on Nokia phones.

schlubadub says:

Multi-core, microSD, and NFC are obviously limited by hardware - but will we get IE10, Nokia Maps integration (for non-Nokia phones), and native code apps?

schlubadub says:

The article says native code apps aren't coming... but I didn't hear that in the presentation?

I'm going to be honest, as big of a fan that I am of WindowsPhone(Currently rocking the Cyan Nokia Lumia 900), I am not liking this "new" home screen at all.

schlubadub says:

That's fine - you can keep it looking exactly the same as WP7. It won't affect you at all.

Neo Nuke says:

agreed. i want my off-centre and arrow back

BK-one says:

Simple solution to that. after you update, Make all icons size "LARGE".
You will feel like you never updated as far as the home screen layout goes.

david126 says:

Lumia 900 owners! Did we really expect an upgrade to Apollo after reading the device specs? Yes and no, but it's still a solid device. Glad I bought mine off contract but after having all those issues w the capacitive buttons, purple hue I have learned my lesson to wait before adoption. Sigh..

mvierling says:

This announcment means nothing for AT&T customers.  We all know AT&T will not deliver any updates on their Windows phone.  My HTC Titan is missing 3 updates since January that AT&T will not release.

vmjoaquim says:

I believe this update will be a combo one? :D

ousooner314 says:

According to Engadget - "The update will be delivered directly to users, sidestepping carriers, and can be done over WiFi.".
Link: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/microsoft-unveils-windows-phone-7-8-f...

fluxx says:

That's it Microsoft. I have defended this plattform long enough. You forced all manufactures to stick to one processor for what? Nothing. I bought an Optimus 7 in 2010, I bought an Lumia 800 in 2011. Guess what I will get next? An iPhone. At least Apple get their updates right and I know I invest money in a phone that won't be outdated in a few months.
I don't care about the 7.8 update, I just read that new apps may not be backwards compatible. I can't believe they are so stupid to create a new plattform just to throw over everything with the next version. I thought otherwise but this company is really directed by monkeys.

schlubadub says:

Seeya! Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out!

fluxx says:

I'm not a hater: I like Windows Phone, I like my Lumia and I defended this plattform again and again. I rant because I think it's stupid to build up a new plattform like they did with Windows Phone 7 and then change everthing again (under the hood) with the next version. Do they really know what they do in the long term?

schlubadub says:

I think the reality is that they did know this 3 years ago, when they wanted to do WP7. The problem was that W8 was still 3 years away and they needed to get their WP platform up and running sooner than later. They only had Windows CE to work with and so that's what they launched a year later. All of the advanced features, even multi-core CPU's, would have to wait until W8 kernel was ready. Now 2 more years on the W8 platform is finally ready to be rolled out across the board - mobiles, tablets, PC's, Xbox's all unified on one platform.
I want WP8 because I want it to work with everything else that I have, or will own (Xbox, PC, possibly tablet). I will never own a Mac or an iPad, so the iPhone has absolutely no appeal to me.
It's an exciting time - the amount of apps available that will be available has absolutely exploded. The transition for a developer between Xbox and PC has been around for years - but now it's Xbox + PC + Tablet + Mobile. iOS & Android developers can port their existing apps to all of them at the same time... it's going to be VERY hard for developers to ignore and not to do everything they can to get on board.

ousooner314 says:

You should understand that developers are more than likely going to support WP 7.8 and WP 8. Let's wait for more details to come through before jumping to conclusions.

Im_On_One says:

Good luck getting a fully functional iOS update. Have fun with the same tired grid of icons and bland looking apps

rceballos10 says:

You can please everyone... Looking forward to WP7.8 & WP8... Awesomeness!

Steve.7 says:

My brand new Lumia 900 will be old and useless soon!! A big thanks to Microsoft and Nokia!! With love, soon to be former windows phone user

ousooner314 says:

It won't be useless at all. If you're worried about app support, you can bet that developers will support WP 7.8 and WP 8. Besides, WP8 won't be released till the end of the year, with WP8 apps mostly likely hitting MarketPlace the year after. By then, your Lumia is already over a year old and nearing upgrade anyway.

kwajr says:

Not sure why the software can't run on older hardware I mean if the chip ain't there it can't use some function should be scaleable plus why not let me do a clean install

Sarang68 says:

I am very happy with my HTC HD7. Just wish Microsoft would detail what features are coming in the 7.8 update besides start screen.

Kon-Aitor says:

I don't think it is that fair, especially as they are still selling current devices at full price, under contract, and leaving most customers unaware. They are still releasing new handsets (like the 610) with no regard for consumers. They are hurting the OEM's and the customers.
Those who purchased a 900 on contract won't be eligible for an upgrade until this time next year, which is ridiculous. Looking back at all the leaked stuff that came out in April regarding this they obviously knew this was their plan yet they decided to sell and market the 900. Either that or they did not tell their OEM's about this and let them spend money and time developing current devices.
This is either really poor planning by MS or just a dis-regard for their customers, either way those who support the platform the most (get new handsets when they come out) are the ones who are hurt by this.
The proposed compromise is horrible, it puts Dev's in an awkward position and it stifles the growth of the current marketplace. Most developers will switch to the new SDK and will develop for the NT kernels, which means that either app functionality on 7.8 devices will be hit or miss, or those apps just won't exist for us.
I myself feel cheated, by all this, I am now locked in a 2 year contract, because I wanted to support Nokia and MSFT, won't get many new apps, and look like a jackass to all the people I’ve been convincing to try WP. So thanks MSFT. Unless they offer a hardware upgrade path for customers of phones bought this year(early renewal, discounted renewal price, or something similar), I don't know if I will support them going forward.
*rant over

DavidinCT says:

Maybe I should be glad Verizon did not get the Lumia 900....because I would be stuck with a outdated phone.

Getting a 7.8 update will be nice and will hold off most users for a while but at it's core, Window Phone 7.8 update is NOT Windows Phone 8.

I am glad I got my HTC Trophy off contract.....

Big Supes says:

Something along the lines of 7.8 is what a lot of people (myself included) thought would happen. Although I dediced to hang on and not upgrade until WP8, I wouldn't be upset owning a Lumia 800/900/Titan II right now. It's a fair deal considering they'll essentially get the WP8 experience. . .

jfa1 says:

Excellent news I like my 900 and giving it the WP8 experience commensurate with current hardware is perfect until I update my phone later once I see Nokia WP8 phones as well as the other oems I will I will determine what device meets my needs

I think what they've done is a great compromise.  Microsoft needs to keep pushing Windows Phone forward to catch up to iOS/Android, so I don't want them expending a large amount of effort to get all the new features on phones that don't have what they need to take advantage of them.  Having the new Start screen is certainly something.  I bought my WP7 phone off of eBay so that if/when Verizon got better Windows Phones this year, I could do my contract at that point.  Verizon seems very interested in Windows Phone 8, so I'm happy about my choice.  I wonder if Santa will be able to fit both a Surface and a WP8 phone in his sack for me this year!
Eric

eshy says:

The actual problem is with the TPM chip. someone told me about that issue a few months back but I thought Microsoft will be able to work around it.
This means the security features mentioned today (mainly for enterprises) are the real reason existing devices won't support WP8.
They could've released a version without the TPM related features or the NFC features that still delivered all the other additions. just like the release that added support for front facing cameras was released to all devices when most didn't have one

selfcreation says:

I think its fair.. they did the same thing with the last IOS ( more or less)

but do we have a launch date yet?!?!?!?!

eshy says:

This is such a bad move by Microsoft. This platform is just starting to get momentum and you just screwed all existing users and made sure no one buys your devices in the next few months.
At least they announced it early enough to save those people some money.
Forget 7.8 with the start screen. Forget 18 months of updates for thw WP8 device I don't have. If I just got the Lumia 900 you were pushing so hard and I'm stuck with a 2 year contract, why would I stay with you when Apple's ios6 will run on the 3GS? that phone was out before you announced WP7...
What existing users will want is a solution for upgrading, for cheap/or free, to a comparable WP8 device. Otherwise those great ratings on Amazon might start dropping (great phone, but 1 star because it's already obsolete)
With Android, the lack of updates is usually the hardware company's fault. The fragementation there is caused by Google not forcing them to release updates for a window after launch. Here it's Microsoft itself.
And sure, all the new features will hide that fact since most of the stories on the web will be about the new stuff, but the reality is that for the second time in two years, MS is doing a reboot that hurts existing customers (only difference here is that the marketplace doesn't go back down to 0 apps)
I hope the folks at XDA will help us with some WP8 ROMs for existing devices

ousooner314 says:

"..when Apple's ios6 will run on the 3GS?" - only features that are compatible with the 3gs hardware will run, and I guarantee you the experience will be less than stellar. And this is coming from personal experience when I owned a 3GS and upgraded to iOS 4. The lack of new features didn't matter, the lagginess was unbearable.
Similarly, in this case, all the features will will work on current gen devices are being packaged as WP 7.8. Except in this case, the user experience is also taken into consideration to make sure it looks and feels like WP8.
If you're worried about lack of backward compatibility of apps, now that's a fairly legitimate concern. However, WP8 isn't being released till the end of the year. Even then, you can be sure that developers will support 7.8 and 8, unless they're only trying to leverage new hardware. Even that won't realistically happen until next year. By then, most current Lumia owners will only be months away from an upgrade.
So, bottomline is it shouldn't be as big a deal as we're all making right now.

rogeret says:

Maybe MS should have just called it 8.0 and then people would be happy.  Or maybe they could have done what Apple does and "upgrade" the old phones so they're so slow that they become unbearable.  I bought the 900 in April knowing that this was the likely scenario.  I do not understand the gritting and gnashing of teeth.  AT&T upgrades after 18 months or so and that will put me right in line for the WP9 phones next year.  For now, I have a phone that I love so much more than I ever loved my iPhone.  I would say the childish ranting is irrelevant, but in this case, MS actually does want the younger, less mature people to stay on board.

shawshank87 says:

Wow, last month I decided Windows Phone would be a great development platform.  I paid an early renewal fee and purchased what I thought would be a great investment towards the Microsoft Platform, the Lumia 900.
Now I'm paired with an obsolete phone that I can't even test native WP8 applications on for two years.  I'll be stuck with the simulator when the development environment is released.
Thanks for nothing Microsoft.  I've already put the device on Amazon so I can try to make my early contract termination fee back.  Can't believe I had faith in your support for early adopters.

eshy says:

The lumia 900 isn't really early adopter. it's a 2nd gen device. which makes it being obsolete even worse.
If you're still in the 30 day window, return the phone ASAP...

shawshank87 says:

I'm on day 45 : (

ousooner314 says:

Think about it this way - WP8 won't be released until towards the end of the year. That means it's perfectly realistic to expect developers to support WP 7.8 and WP 8 for quite a while. By the time WP8 specific apps start to gain traction, we should be well into next year. By then, most current new owners will be nearing their upgrade cycle. So, hopefully, this isn't as big a deal as it seems right now because there'll be a long period of time when apps will support WP 7.8 and WP 8. It may offer little consolation, but hope it makes sense!

@ousooner314...Been reading your comments - very reasonable, rational, and logical - wish there were even more comments like yours on every site regarding Windows Phone 8!

I really hope that Daniel and Team weigh in on this in an editorial and echo your sentiments.

vmjoaquim says:

It's not just about the cosmetics, it's about the kernel, the core.

Distrato says:

I'm kinda in a weird spot at the moment. I upgarded my phone to a Lumia 900 last week and cans till return it. The thing is I really love the phone and while it stinks that I may miss out on new apps and better resolutions, I also don't want to give up my Lumia. I just don't know if I should return it and wait and see if Nokia comes out with a phone that is similar to the way the Lumia 900 looks.

eshy says:

You should return it. the new phones will be out in the fall, it's only a few months away.
Nokia's design was a success, I'm pretty sure their WP8 will continue in that same design and this things usually get better, not worse...

Distrato says:

Yeah I probably will end up returning and using my iPhone 4 for a little while longer. This really sucks I love Windows Phone btu now I'll have to wait to use it again.

But you already accepted the resolution 'as is' when you purchased the phone.  Why is it a concern now?

keithf1138 says:

I think it really depends on how quickly application developers move to building apps with Windows Phone 8 SDK.  From some peoples point of view that is the logical thing to due, but in reality isnt the most logical thing to do is to create Windows Phone 7.5 apps and let them run on Windows Phone 8 until thier are enough Windows Phone 8 devices in the market?

eshy says:

It depends more on the new APIs. If you want to use them, you'll create a WP8 app.
The same thing happened with android, if you don't need the newer features you better target the older platform since no one updates (with ios, almost all devices are on ios5, according to some stats released)
The best solution will be to put most of the code in a separate library that can be used by both platforms (some are already doing this for cross platform dev with MonoTouch) and just have different UI projects.
I'm sure MS will allow devs to release different versions of the app for the different platforms.

Pages