Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

From the Forums

What made you buy Windows Phone in the first place?

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

WPCentral News

Are you buying a new Windows Phone soon or waiting for new hardware?

WP Central

Did Nokia make a mistake by going with Windows Phone?

Nokia Lumia 900 with Android 4.x?

Should Nokia have chosen Android over Windows Phone? Many think so, including one former Apple executive.

Things are getting rough for Nokia. Today, their stock hit the historic low of $2 a share before closing at $2.02.  That’s bad, very bad for a company who traded for over $40 a share just a few years ago. What’s more, the “no Windows Phone 8” for current devices, especially the high-profile Lumia line, is doing nothing to inspire confidence in the company, whose primary business is selling phones. See RIM.

Recently though, some people have been clamoring for Nokia’s heyday and stating that Nokia should have gone with Android instead of Windows Phone. Others think they abandoned Symbian way too early even though Nokia’s stock crashed below $10 back in 2009. News flash: Symbian was dragging the company down and their stock price reflected this years before they announced they were going with Windows Phone.

In an interview with Computing.co.uk, a former Apple executive named Jean-Louis Gassée (he left in 1990, before the company became interesting) threw Nokia CEO Stephen Elop and the Board under a bus noting that the company should have chosen Android, like he recommended, instead. Sour grapes?

WP Central

For Gassée, Elop gets a lot of criticism because he pre-announced the Windows Phone deal months before they would have any devices to sell. In turn, everyone knew Symbian was dead and Nokia’s sales really tanked. This is referred to as the Osborne Effect which is why companies generally don’t pre-announce new wares while their current ones are still selling. But Gassée says this happened twice, since the Lumia line was just announced as not getting Windows Phone 8 creating a “double Osborne Effect” with no Symbian to fall back on and their Lumia line is predicted to flounder.

We actually agree with Gassée in the way this has played out for Nokia is far from ideal and it could have been handled much better both by Microsoft and Nokia, especially since the latter has much more to lose.

But the notion of Nokia going with Android seems crazy to us.

Would Nokia have created some fantastic Android phones? There is no doubt they would have developed some amazing Android hardware, especially with their flare for design.  But the profit margins are so slim for Android since OEMs are either being sued by Apple or they have to pay royalties to Microsoft for patents, that the payoff might not have been worth it. Nokia may have sold more phones but it’s not clear that being “just another Android-OEM” would be enough to save them.

WP Central

Noka's stock going back 10 years. It cratered in March, 2009--way before the deal with Microsoft

Nokia’s position on this matter has always been clear: the Windows Phone base is small and therefore Nokia can dominate that field instead of playing catch up to HTC and Samsung using Android. And guess what? They’ve done it. We showed you yesterday how ‘Lumia’ trends higher even then ‘Windows Phone’ for Google searches and everyone knows the Finns own the Windows Phone playing field right now—even while having some high profile issues.

The larger question is not so much about Nokia surviving but about Windows Phone. Everyone seems to agree that Windows Phone is a sold mobile OS and that the double-punch of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 desktop (plus Surface) is a potentially killer combo not matched by Apple or Google.

If Nokia can survive the summer and Windows Phone 8 is a success, they stand to be the big mover in the field—something which Samsung and HTC cannot match, especially with their “divided attention” due to Android.  Seeking to be a leader with an OS versus just another player is a big difference in strategy. Is it risky? Definitely.  Again, Nokia’s stock is hovering just about $2 a share right now. But Microsoft won’t allow Nokia to be bought-out by any other third-party (nor will the Finnish government for that matter) and Redmond won’t allow them to go out of business. This is something that RIM can’t bet on—a guardian angel to inject capital into the company should things go really bad. Who would save Nokia if Android failed them--Google?

Going with Android would not have killed Nokia but it wouldn’t have made them a leader either. With Windows Phone, Nokia is making a bet but the potential reward years from now is considerable. That’s a different philosophy and one where we can see the appeal.

Nokia wants to define what a modern smartphone should be versus already being defined. That's the take away.

Nokia-Android Logo credit: Cellouts

Comments

jdep1 says:

The mistake was releasing a WP 7.5 & not starting with wp8. The hardware doesn't compete with Android devices. Yes the 900 has a nice look, smooth os but it's still behind.

Shantek says:

Dual core etc wouldn't really make any difference at the end of the day unless the apps are built to make the most of it all.. Its all a bit over rated unless its done right

pallentx says:

As someone who just switched from a dual-core Atrix to the Lumia 900, I would disagree. Except for the camera, everything else has been a pretty nice step forward on the Lumia.

phillips9179 says:

i understand the above article from a strategic point of view. however has anybody got a crystal ball. and as the saying goes dont put all your eggs in one basket. i still wouldve left myself open to making symbian/android/bb/wp phones and if they didnt sell/take off then the company is not lost and the respective platform wouldve died a natural death, instead of being forceably killed off - i hope this is not the same fate for nokia, but with ms behind them i doubt it will be.

Nataku4ca says:

as far as i know, sometimes in business it's neccessary to put all your eggs in one basket, especially when u need to get out of a deep hole that you digged yourself, this is why CEOs get paid big bucks, otherwise it's actually pretty easy if you have the money to do all the options and just wait and see which one turns out

phillips9179 says:

totally disagree with you nataku and there are too many examples throughout history to say, from betamax to hddvd. for me i hope it all works out for nokia so the manufacturers push each other to make the best products. but if it doesnt work out for nokia, what then? if i was nokia then id get out an android asap

eeteet says:

I agree with you totally. It was a mistake to release WP7.5. Microsoft also announced WP8 way too early.
Nokia should have go with symbian and meego/maemo longer and start cooperation with Microsoft not until WP8 is ready for consumer devices.

ebuks97 says:

Not even this. Imagine a Nokia built Android Jellybean phone. Jellybean has virtually eliminated the persistent lag in most android phones and coupled with Nokia's excellent hardware would have guaranteed a hit. Nokia could have differentiated themselves by being the only Android OEM to use stock Android instead of an overlay. Sorry guys, Nokia made the wrong choice going with an infant platform

scdkad says:

What an insane comparison. Jellybean is what-the fourth or fifth version of android and you say it's finally lag free? WP was lag free from the get-go!!

podsnap says:

+1 Beautifully put!

Well lets look at the big android players in the US.
 Samsung
HTC
LG
Sony
Moto
 Other than sammy who else is making money off android all the other big android companies are losing cash.
 Moto was bought by google to save that company from bankruptcy.
 Who is to say if nokia went android they would have been able to make money in a market where it seems sammy rules
 They rolled the dice on WP. They admit they came to market too early. They probably announced WP partnership too early. If they had have worked on phones and then announced it this year with wp8 then it probably would have been a different story.
 Also I imagine that nokia has a deal similar to moto. MS will come in and buy if the company is really facing bankruptcy

criostar says:

No wait... android is at its 25th version. 2.2 and 2.3, for example, were majors release.

rafaeldenito says:

So so so true !! I had an HTC and it used to take ages just to go from my homescreen to my inbox whereas my Focus has been lag free till date. The best thing about WP is its simple unclustered lag free UI.

gillaz1976 says:

Hardware doesn't compete with android? Intel did a survey that said quad-core processors actually slowed android phones down because the extra processors weren't being used or not to their potential. What's the point in that? As a result battery life is reduced

woreyeoe says:

Um. If I've said it once, I've said it a 1,000 times. In the U.S. the #1 thing holding back WP is VZW, Sprint and no prepaid. Well, VZW is about to become mostly a non-issue but Sprint may have to wait. They're too financially tied up with their Apple love fest. As for prepaid, well MS seems to be absolutely clueless. As well as WP runs on a single core, they should have launched with budget hardware on prepaid day one. Now, they're being beaten once again by Apple. A teenager could could run a better marketing campaign than MS has. And how many prepaid customers would WHOOP about their budget WP not being upgradeable to W8? Exactly! No body!

ZuNuKoo says:

Time to buy Nokia stock? Buy low sell high. That's if they even get off the ground. I think that have potential. I'm sure they'll come around. Just very slowly.

jabtano says:

I agree been buying Nokia stock from $5.00 per yes lost some money BUT! Microsoft nor the Finish Goverment will allow Nokia to go bust. Nokia has enough cash on hand to survie the summer until WP8 hits. Down the road this stock should be back top $10-15 or more and if they get bought out that would be the price range buying Nokia @$2.00 per is one good buy a risk indeed it is anything at the price is but the max reward is well worth the risk!

tekhna says:

You do realize the Finnish government has said they won't bail out Nokia, right?

Nice of you to try to unload your sinking shares, by duping others to get in.
FYI, the Finnish government has already ruled out 'saving' Nokia, so that  option is off the table.

machina says:

Are you kidding?!
God no!!
Nokia's quality hardware is a perfect match to Windows Phone elegant OS.
Just like Samsung platicy phones are a perfect match to Android's cheesy interface! Tacky , bloated, and ugly!

snakechia says:

Can't agree more with you! ;)

NIST says:

The double Ozzy Osbourne effect. Cool.

Ton77 says:

Wp7.8 better deliver or my next phone will have to be a iPhone.

12Danny123 says:

Wp7.8 is coming to all phones

I think he means "7.8 better be good" or at least "good enough".

Seems an odd thing to say. "If 7.8 is not good, I'm going to go buy a brand new iPhone, re-buy all my apps and re-learn everything" when instead he could buy a Windows Phone 8 device (he's already buying a new phone), get 18 months of support and a method to install updates manually from Microsoft, even OTA updates.

12Danny123 says:

War the f**** is wrong with him?. If he's tryin to be cool. I can honestly tell he's not

gorebashd says:

+1 to Daniel. Why not see what crazy cool devices Nokia is bringing

cool8man says:

Seems like a totally clueless comment. WP7.8 better deliver what? It's not even clear what he wants, that is even possible. Most WP8 features are hardware/kernel dependent.

Soxpranos says:

That's smart thinking outside the box. But most go with a fan or what's popular at that time. I dropped Apple when Windows came out with its first phone on Verizon. Now have a Lumia 900 and will get the Windows 8 Phone when released. The OS with the new Kernel us ahead of its time.

Sicarius123 says:

If 7.8 doesn't introduce a proper backup and restore feature going to iOS wouldn't be any more hassle then going to WP8.

Should I be happy that Nokia and Microsoft killed off my brand new hero phone because WP8 uses the EUFI bios?

Should I be happy that if I buy a new device I have to set it up from scratch, lose any application settings and any save games?

Or should I buy an iPhone 5 and restore my backup from April, leaving me ready to go and no hassle?

Even then, I was never burnt in the 3 years I owned my 3Gs by apple, but have been severely burnt by Microsoft and Nokia in 3 months I have owned a Lumia, which I bought on launch in my country.

Microsoft and Nokia, introduce backup and restore, or I hope your product flounders and dies. Even then without some kind of discount for the people you ripped off, there's a good chance myself and many others will go back to iPhone.

jmshub says:

I think it is well established that 7.8 is a UI update, mostly. I am extremely excited for wp8. If that is all that it takes you chase you away from something as revolutionary as wp8, then good riddance. There are tons of android phones that never got updates, due to the carriers just not caring.

Rug says:

You might not like what he has to say, but he does have a point. I also think that this 7.8 thing has been blown out proportion. I think the majority of the apps will run o both for years. I think there is a problem with decent apps. In both Android and iPhone there's usually an app for what you are looking for and it works good. Here, the app usually doesn't work well if it exists at all. I give you a simple timer app.

Wyn6 says:

Really? Because Super Timer works wonderfully.

Thamuz says:

And what if Apple decides to change the iOS
kernel in two years?

The truth is that you cannot compare our situation to the situation on iOS because we are in a unique position. If wp8 ran on the current kernel and cuffent phones still wouldn't get it, then you can say MS abandonned its users but you cannot say that Apple has never burned their users like MS because Apple has never done anything like this.

latempete says:

I beg to differ there. Apple is king of leaving users behind. For example, the switch from powerPC chips to Intel. They supported the old systems for a couple of years with OS updates but come Snow Leopard they removed all support for PowerPC based systems. The next OS, Lion, removed all Rosetta support. That had allowed older software, written to run on PowerPC based systems to run on Intel systems. Gone. The fancy new MacBook Pro? There isn't much "pro" left. Not only did they completely drop the 17 inch model, they removed the optical input and output (which were inside the headphone and line in jack so they can't even claim space was an issue). DVD drive. Gone. Don't even mention Blu-Ray. The advanced Mac OS doesn't even support it. The Ethernet port? Well you can buy a $30 adapter if you want that. So, "pros" have to carry a portable drive and Ethernet adapter. Gone too is the Firewire port that they forced on people. Now it's all about Thunderbolt. That too is a kick in the pants for pros who need the power of the once mighty Mac Pro desktop. It just had a refresh and guess what? It still sells for a professional price but is far from it. Thunderbolt? Nope. Maybe later. But it has Firewire! Intel's newest processors? Try again. Xeon here folks. You can spec one out for $50,000 (try it. I did.) but you won't see Blu-Ray in it. I saved my favorite for last. This is still a rumor but if it's true I hope people finally see Apple for what they are... Again, this is RUMORED but pics of the coveted iPhone 5 have surfaced showing a very small port where Apple's 30-pin connector should be. Can you imagine all of the charging cables and accessories that would have to be replaced?! The built-in iPhone adapters on stereos and in some cars would be useless. Knowing Apple's history I tend to believe it. I have an old PowerPC Mac Pro I bought just after they announced they would be no more. (I got it fairly cheap. $1,800) I also have a 17 inch MacBook Pro and an iPod. I know first hand how they operate and can't wait to get away from them. I don't see many more Apple products in my future.

latempete says:

+1 on the backup and restore. Not having it won't cause me to defect but it is sorely needed. I have had some issues with my Lumia and am now on my third one since April. Although I am becoming a pro at rebuilding my phones apps, settings, groups, email, fb, twitter accounts, etc. It sucks! I have been with WP since launch in Nov. 2010 and have amassed tons of apps. I am tired of reinstalling ONE APP AT A TIME. And losing all my texts and call history. I had a Mac program with an old HTC Windows Mobile phone that saved all of that to my computer... Anyway, yes. We need software that can restore a replaced phone!

dannejanne says:

Exactly. Those statements are nothing but failed logic.

maxurbn says:

Totally agree, I'm gonna drop my windows phone and go back to an iPhone. MS totally missed the point of collaborating with Nokia. The phone is great, but more emphasis should have been placed on apps first.

gorebashd says:

Love the article. In dying to see what wp8 is coming

12Danny123 says:

Agree. Mostly ms would buy nokia and become a hardware maker. But it's bad for Samsung and htc aha huawei

venetasoft says:

I totally agree. Better be wp8 n.1 with progressive market share increase, than android n.2 or 3 fighting with Sammy forever.

Ian Too says:

Nokia needs to be a leader if it's going to remain a distinct entity. It has a chance to be that with WP, instead of an Android also-ran.

If Nokia's investors can keep thier cool, everything will be fine.

tlds says:

In the short term I think that the Android strategy would have worked out much better for Nokia. To start with WP7 wasn't ready for prime time. The hardware limitations and missing popular apps from the market makes it hard for anyone to thrive. Windows Phone has yet to capture the imagination of the market in any real way.  Nokia could have put out a highend Android device on every carrier. Verizon and Sprint have yet to push Windows Phone and to this day only have one device in thier line up.  With Windows Phone Nokia is playing to a limited market.  Another main point is that going with Android wouldn't have stopped Nokia from building Windows Phones as well. The point is to make money, right? If Windows Phone 8 brings about a huge change for Nokia fortunes then we can say the made a good choice but for now the answer has to be NO! It's like that old saying "a bird in the hand beats two in the bush". I have to think that going Android would be a bird in the hand and conversely going Windows Phone is two in the bush, yes?  I'm looking forward to WP8 and if the right apps are there I will be getting one!  I've grown tired of Android and I'm not a fan of the IPhone, but certains apps have become a part of my everyday life. These are very popular apps and I know that two of them are already coming.  So we'll see!!!

rhodri22 says:

Completely disagree. This is definitely a long term strategy for Nokia, and saying that it's failed less than a year after its first phone has launched is just stupid. Nokia has to become known as the best WP OEM pre WP8 when the next influx of consumers arrive. To launch an Andorid line at the same time would remove focus from the company, and cause Nokia to become fragmented before a real push.

That's what he's saying, WP is a long term win, but android would be good for a short term win. He makes great points, and I agree with him hopefully W8P will hit the consumers hard.

12Danny123 says:

In enterprise it will. Becuase basically everyone in the world uses wimdows for enterprise. So suspect a lot of people getting a wp for business. But guys until wp8 comes out. Which is not that long fall. October or September. We need to get wp8 Asa to as much people as possible ok.

rhodri22 says:

And I'm saying that if Nokia had dual launched WP and Android then I don't believe that either of them would be the best on l their respected OS's. We already know that apps aren't easy to port so we would have less apps but the same ones on both from Nokia, or one with lots and one with none. A dual launch would have divided Nokia, it would have gotten less support from Microsoft because it wouldn't be an exclusive partner and the same questions would have been raised. Realistically Nokia had three choices, die with Symbian/MeeGo, get lost in a crowded Android marketspace, or try and rebuild some brand credibility (especially in the US) and gain some solid footing for a WP8 brand relaunch. That's where I disagree with the original poster, on the point of launching Android phones also.

tlds says:

Thanks for getting my point (I think you were talking about me?).  I want Windows Phone to be great as everything I own has always been Microsoft until I went Android because I couldn't get a good Windows Phone on Sprint.  I have Win Mobile before and I had to get off of that OS. I am a Xbox guy and I actually have a Samsung Focus that I bought and I use it on wifi to play the games and get my gamer score!! :-)

jbjtkbw00#AC says:

+1. People need to look at long term and I believe that's the route Nokia is taking. I fully believe they made the right decision going with Windows phone vs. Android.

jimski says:

Nokia had no relationship with any U.S. carrier not much more than a year ago. With Android, carriers would have never let Nokia join the party. And even if one did, Nokia would be kissing butt just to get a phone on display.
But because carriers deperately want a third ecosystem, they ket Nokia in and have even chosen to cooperate with them. Well, at least most carriers have. At the end of the, for carriers it's all about the money. Not the service, not the platforms, not the customers. Just the money. Three solid ecosystems creates a more cuthroat environment, which is good for the carriers, and indirectly, good for all of us.

jmshub says:

Samsung is widely regarded as one of the best builders of phones out there, or at least the best phone that isn't an iPhone (for people of those persuasion). They build the cream of the crop of android phones, but in the long run, they are one injunction away from being unable to even sell devices...look at the lawsuits between Apple and Samsung.
Google certainly isn't stepping up to support their partners, and phones come and go in a minute in Android. For a company trying to regain their mojo like Nokia, I still think partnering with Microsoft will be more beneficial in the long run.
The Lumia 900 is just a fantastic phone. And once WP8 comes out, the 900 will still be a great phone, even if it doesn't have the newest WP OS.
If WP8, running the full NT kernal, is resource hungry, then the diminished performance on existing hardware would be just as much of a problem as not getting the update at all.

renisans says:

The Vanity Fair piece on Microsoft is pretty dead-on. If Microsoft ditches Nokia and comes back to buy its parts for scrap, MS will never play any role in mobile again. Nokia will be the straw that broke the public opinion's back.

Saljen says:

As a consumer of Nokia product's, I'd rather an Osborne effect that includes transparency about the future of the product that I'll be spending my money on vs a company that hides the truth till the last second just to make a few extra bucks.If anything this just furthers my resolve that Nokia is a good company and will ensure that I continue to buy products from them in the future.

A former Apple exec says Nokia should not have gone Windows Phone? Uh not surprised!

Well, he left Apple in 1990, making him not so relevant regarding their iPhone days. Moreover, I think we put aside who his employer was and just look at his arguments.

I was really making light of his anti Microsoft days that he's probably still holding onto lol

ikissfutebol says:

Here's my question... what's he do now? On Wikipedia, apparently the last thing the man did was in 2010 and that was what this story was about- tell Nokia to ditch Symbian and pick up Android...depending on when this took place in 2010, Windows Phone might not even have been launched yet...
I'm sorry to say, but when his biggest title was exec of Apple from 1981-90 (when the majority of people didn't even have a home computer), I think we can and should ignore his comments. The real question is why Nokia went to him for advice in 2010... the BeOS he was making was even more niche than Linux.
Do you call upon an "expert" from the 1980's to consult on your 2010's company? Even if he is geeky, looking at his Wikipedia page leaves a lot to be desired in my eyes if I am looking to get a professional opinion.

procen says:

I'm not surprised there is another rotten apple floating round. I guess he forsee that all Android OEM will be dealing with Apple's like the one happening with Samsung Galaxy tablet and Nexus just sitting and can't be sold, and the rest of the world will be using a useless icon that doesn't do anything until you open the apps.

MediaCastleX says:

SCREW THEM! OF COURSE THEY WANT TO SEE MICROSOFT FAIL, I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THESE STOOPIDS AND THEIR NEGATIVITY!! NOKIA LUMIA WINDOWS PHONE IS TEH BEST EVAR!!! >=O

touchpad4760 says:

I bought into WP - specifically Mango. I came really close to getting in with a Focus Flash. But when I saw the Lumia 900 I knew I could wait =). So now for me it's the best combo of beautiful UX/UI and stylish phone.

mjrtoo says:

Why these articles...seems weird to me I guess.

dkp23 says:

Going android i think wouldnt have saved nokia anyway, they were tumbling down before WP deal and prior to Elop as well.
High risk high reward for Nokia, go big or go home and if WP fails, they are continuing the trend before Elop and the WP deal, if WP8 hits, Nokia is back in the game in a significant way being the flagship device for WP8.

The mistake Nokia made was the same mistake that MS and RIM made- in 2009, they didn't understand that in the future, mobile meant touch based devices that were always connected to a rich, full ecosystem.  By the time Elop got there that die was already cast, and then it was a matter of trying to pull out of a dive they had just started.  Lets say they had gone with Android- that would have meant spending even more money on ecosystem, and not to mention either making a new front end or trying to fit the N9's into something.  And nothing in the Nokia portfolio was ready for the US- they would have had to license music, movies, etc.  And all of this they would have had to do with their own capital.  And all of this on top of the marketing money they still woudl have had to spend.
The only real mistake that the current leadership made, was banking(hoping) that Symbian would make enough in the developing countries to keep a revenue stream while the WP program wound up.
IMO, if Nokia had gone with Android, unless they would have stepped in and literally sold tens of millions of phones a month, they would probably have a even worse balance sheet.
Their problems started over 3 years ago, and had nothing to do with WP or Android.

ZX9 says:

Even if they were the best Android OEM, they would still have difficulty making a profit. See HTC.

TechAbstract says:

Nokia will be the leader with Windows Phone 8. They have many exclusive apps for their Lumia series and more coming. They just need to survive until Windows Phone 8 released.

mythos13 says:

I agree with everything Daniel said and implied. Its going to be a painful summer for Nokia but they are going to be a lot better off in the medium and long term going with WP.

If WP8 turns out like we think then Nokia is going to essentially own the best mobile OS without having to invest any development into it.

I also think they held back on trying to duplicate the AT&T campaign knowing the phones were likely not going to get the full WP8 but they will be prompting high-end devices on many of the world's carriers wirh WP8 and beyond.

Another important factor is Verizon--I think they are going to go bog with WP8 which will be a big boost.

Then there is the synergy of Nokia's upcoming W8 tablets with their WP8 phones and the awesome Purview sensors to come.

I hope no one makes a play for Nokia and forces Microsoft to step in. Why doesn't Microsoft buy a truckload of Nokia stock? Nokia just has to keep its independence until it starts rocking the world with WP8 superphones with PureView and W8 tablets and then their stock should rake off--it would be a great investment MS.

Neusyn says:

They could do what they did with apple and buy a ton of non-voting stock and agree not to sell it for a while.

timwp12 says:

hahha what a joke one apple executive said should have chosen android instead? Sure maybe tell that to Steven Wozniak who purchased a wp lumia 900 and said he rather get a windows phone over an android LOL...

HD7guy says:

Having seen The Amazing Spider-Man yesterday, did a double-take on The Osbourne Effect.

Maybe we'll see Batman whip out his Bat-Lumina in the coming days. ;)

kiddori says:

WP was the only way to go for Nokia. It was a brave and brilliant move. I'm buying Nokia stock now.

Btw, no worries! kiddori will work on WP8 as well. ;-)

If Nokia would have gone with Android it would just be a small player like ZTE, Sony, LG and others. Samsung is the king of Android and HTC is is pretty big too. I think Nokia should have just waited for Windows Phone 8 because WP7.5 is too Dan restricted.

12Danny123 says:

But they are making good progress on their phones. And ms would not let any one go near Nokia at all. But if Nokia launches a pureview windiws phone. Then it would no doubt gain a lot of traction

based_graham says:

Remember Microsoft gave Nokia millions of dollars for marketing and developer support. I dont think Google would of done that. Plus they would have to pay patent royalties to MS

E-werd says:

Please, please proofread articles. Constantly I see misspellings and extra or missing words, it really detracts from the air of professionalism that the site should be striving for.

Agreed. But, I must say, at least it's nowhere near as elementary as WMPUser. That site sometimes hurts to read, lol.

mb-dape says:

Yes, the problems started earlier, with Nokia missing the "touch phone for everyone-train".
BUT! The same day Elop made the announcement about the partnership, the share went down 10 %. And after that, it has fallen even faster then before WP commitment!
I cant understand how they can do the same mistake twice. First, with Symbian as their current platform, they killed it before having any replacement. Now with WP7, they killed it and they havent even announced a WP8 device.
And dont give me that, "only nerds care about upgrades", even though WP8 looked very promising at the MS annoucement, the share fell over 12 % that day because of the no upgrade to WP8 for the Lumias.
One word. F - A - I - L.

12Danny123 says:

Go away troll. Your not cool. And don't even try

venetasoft says:

Its not true, wp8 SDK will be compatible with wp7.1, so 99% of future apps will be perfectly compatible.

mb-dape says:

The first mistake Nokia made was to think that it would be easy to make the Symbian owners go the WP route because of the Nokia logo at the phone. But as the first smartphone OS, Symbian had a widespread customer base at enterprises and along tech people.
I have a Nokia N8, from 2010, which got an update to the latest Symbian OS earlier this year, more then 18 months after its release. Symbian surely has its flaws, its not as user friendly or fast as WP and since Nokia announced the partnership with MS it does not get any new apps. But it has a shell in metal, a 12 MP camera with xenon flash, only beaten by the pure view, HDMI out with 720p and Dolby Digital surround, I can pair my Nintendo Wii remote and control the phone while acting as a media center connected to the TV. It has SD card, great sync options, really good calendar, customizable start screens, notification center, file manager, bluetooth transfer, USB OTG for usb stick, keyboard or mouse, FM transmitter... and killer battery life.
Take this TWO YEAR OLD phone and compare it to the brand new Lumia 900. Has Nokia been traveling backwards in time hardware wise?
Is it a coincidence that while Symbians market share has decreased rapidly, Android has been growing and not WP?
They did not only fail to take customers from iOS and Android, they failed to keep their current ones. Thats why Nokia is at all time low right now...

R0bR says:

What good is it having the hardware that your Symbian phone has if the current WP OS doesn't support it? WP8 can support all that hardware you speak of and I'm sure Nokia will have an awesome phone for it.

mb-dape says:

That was my point, but the opposite. Why go for an OS that does not support the current hardware and features? I am sure Nokia can and will make a great WP phone, but why place all eggs in one basket...

Residing says:

Lol!  Hi, N8 user here.  You can give the rote laundry list that Symbian fanatics like to spout off - USB OTG, HDMI, BT File transfer, etc., but I'd wager than many consumers don't give an iota that that functionality is there.  Nice to have features - sure; desired by many - I highly doubt it.

Truth be told, Nokia was losing fans to Android (and to some extent iOS) long before the Microsoft partnership was announced.

I am probably the most eager N8 user on this planet (well, probably not) ready to put their N8 in a drawer!  And will excitedly do so as soon as the Nokia WP8 devices hit the shelves.

And the calendar on the N8 sucks!

Thamuz says:

Most people realy don't care about upgrades, most people don't even know windows phone exists let alone the sticky situation we are now in. It's not most people who make the stock plummet though, that's because of traders who use every piece of gossip they can to make or break stock. Shares are not a good straightforward indicator of public opinion.

JamesDax3 says:

Hell no.  'nuff said.

Jean-Louis is still holding a grudge against the old Microsoft from when he was CEO of Be Inc.

Ebaneeezor says:

I still believe Nokia is being positioned for a ms purchase. Either way, I don't care, I'm buying nokia/ms wp8 not for anything other then I enjoy the phone. I liked my iPhone and I liked my droid phones as well, but never really enjoyed them as I was always looking for what's next. With WP, I'm actually just enjoying it.

RobbCab says:

Daniel, please get that hideous dreck off my phone. If this was the 1700s you'd be burned at the steak for crimes against the church.

Residing says:

Lol!  When I saw that image I thought "Android simply sullies the beauty of that phone's design'.

Android on a Lumia design - an abomination!

If I was a betting man...i got my money on Nokia. At least they have somebody who has their back and giving them a push unlike RIM. Maybe Rim should go Android... Then write me an article about how that goes. A playbook with Android Ha!!!

SteggyDad says:

I think Nokia made the right decision at the time, and still think they made the right one. Love my Nokia 900 and my WP8 will be a Nokia.

slyjr2 says:

Don't do it. I am one of the few Americans who have had a # of Nokia phones. I still have my n8 btw. I could be called a Nokia fan boy. Also have owned stock with the company off and on the last few yrs. Nothing wrong with being optimistic folks but they are finished. There is no coming back. Bankruptcy may come before u see WP8. Like the commenter said earlier windows phone is fast fluid nd a joy to use, but Symbian just has way to many features. WP apps are expensive as hell too. It is no way Nokia fans will convert. The majority will join Android and most already have because it's similar to Symbian. Therefore, they should have seriously went with android. Not only would they retain most of their Symbian and maemo fan base they would've attracted millions of android fanboys. That's all I have to say.

Sent from my HTC radar.

R0bR says:

Nokia is not going to bankrupt before WP8. If Microsoft can pump billions into the Xbox 360 to make it a success they'll surely pump money into Nokia.

slyjr2 says:

They have to do it legally though. They can't just throw them a bag of money. How long will it take wp8 to gain market share? Do u really believe it will happen instantly. I am a WP fan just like u. My first smartphone was the worlds first video phone the Nokia 3360. I have owned an e73, n900, n8, and a lumia 900. This is not a troll comment by any means. When I look at my stock portfolio and see what has happened to Nokia its sickening and I have lost alot trusting their decision. I should've ran after the announcement of going to windows. Btw, I have owned 4 windows phone and love the platform.. Yall aren't being true to yourselves though. U let your fanboyism effect your mind. Wake up this can't work for Nokia! Windows will get stronger but Nokia has lost their fans and in the end will not survive

jmshub says:

I see where  you are coming from, but mainstream marketshare doesn't come from super fans of the platform, they come from average people. The superfans may be the evangelists of the platform to other geeks, but in the end, it is people who have no idea what version of the OS they are using, they don't read phone websites, or wait for the late for the latest update, etc.
Nokia has great design. The Lumia is a great looking phone, and WP8 will be the great equalizer that should delete any possible caveats about owning a Windows Phone. If these phones are prominanently on display
Nokia has great design. The Lumia is a great looking phone, and WP8 will be the great equalizer that should delete any possible caveats about owning a Windows Phone. If a beautiful Nokia device running WP8 is prominently displayed where cell phones are sold, and they are available on all the carriers, then WP8 AND Nokia have a great shot at achieving a solid place in the cell phone market.

Ticomfreak says:

Most of your Symbian features will be in WP8

Residing says:

Yes, and with a more attractive, modern OS that is WP :)

gmlongo says:

Jean-Louis Gassée was the head of Be Inc, creators of the BeOS that I loved so much.  However, given the history of Be Inc, I don't value his opinion on how to run a company or handle an OS from a corporate standpoint.  Besides, many BeOS engineers are now working on Android, so he certainly may have a little bias.  Add in the fact that he certainly has no love for MS due to BeOS's struggles against them for a portion of the desktop market...

andres v says:

Did Be die because of Jean-Louis Gassée's lack of foresight?  A lot of folks (including, I suspect, Gassée himself) would say it had more to do with Microsoft's OEM agreements in the 1990s, which charged a Windows license regardless of whether or not Windows was being shipped on a PC.  Gassée tried to cut deals with PC OEMs, but such a deal would have been more costly to the OEM than no action due to Microsoft's arguably illegal practices.
Microsoft has gotten softer and cuddlier in the time since then, but let's not forget...  They had a lot of questionable behavior in that time.

jimski says:

Guess I will never learn. After buying my first Osborne I, and they made the announcement about the "soon to be released Osborne II< I went out and bought an Osborne I, at almost half price. Didn't care about waiting to see what the Osborne II would bring. Had everything I needed already. Sold both machines on eBay last year. they both still worked.
No regrets with my Lumia 900 purchase. And yes, I would do it again tomorrow. It's a great phone. Can't wait to see what comes next for Nokia.

theflew says:

Let's be honest the stock price going down has as much to do with the current financial situation in Europe as it does what OS Nokia decided to implement.  If they would have went with Android I don't know if they would have had a phone available last fall and it would have been hard to make a splash with another Android phone on the market.  New Android phones are released monthly.

eshy says:

it's probably more the Euro situation and the finnish government not buying Nokia stock. The stock is at 1.92 right now, I think Nokia's patent portfolio is worth more alone.

V Turk says:

Nokia made the right choice. I love my lumia 900. The up grade dont bother me that much as I know my phone is good and it can compete with some of the best phones on the market in my day to day tasks. She. Wp8 comes ill get that and give my phone to my mum or ill sell it. I dont understand most of these people who complain about not getting wp8 on wp 7.5 . It still a good phone.weather or not the update comes.

Nokia has finally had a touch screen smartphone in the US for what, 6months now? Impatient people out there, this is a marathon, not a sprint, and that's all Android would have been for them. Windows 8 is the key, we all know it, so until then, its gonna be bumpy. WP 8 devices are gonna sell because MS themselves are gonna throw their full weight behind it,. Add the new link with Xbox on videos and music and were gonna see rapid expansion. But overall, let us not forget, its all about you and how you view windows phone, and I still love my focus s every single day!

cjtoro says:

It could have dual cores, quad cores, super HD displays, 4.8" displays, but if WP8 don't have the big apps (instagram, pandora, angry birds rio, seasons, space, bump etc.) it's just powerfull hardware, nothing more.

vijax21 says:

Should I buy some shares now??

Ebaneeezor says:

I will be for sure.

slyjr2 says:

U all will b sorry too. I have lost 75% of my original investment. They going bankrupt real soon. They can't survive with windows.

For a guy who presided over not one but two failed OS's, I don't think he has much credibility in this field.  His biggest claim to fame, or any valuable industry expertise for that matter, is that he worked for Apple 20 years ago. Forgive me for trusting Elop more.

cjtoro says:

And another thing... Ballmer... Microsoft NEEDS Bill Gates to step up NOW.

mjrtoo says:

I agree, love Microsoft but Ballmer is a total douche.

jmshub says:

Microsoft is due to make the biggest splash they have in decades when Windows 8 launches. The first complete overhaul of the UI since Windows 95 was released, with a unified experience on your television, computer, tablet and smartphone. Meanwhile, they are also updating their server product and Office is releasing a new version in the next year.
This whole reimagining of Microsoft's product line has occured under the helm of Steve Balmer. I think this can officially put to bed the argument that MSFT has stagnated under Balmer's leadership.

WinEXMan says:

Lumia Tablet

eingoluq says:

If Nokia went with Android, the Osborne effect would have happened more than twice.

david126 says:

Android=malware/viruses, how can I enjoy installing apps? Dont have that problem w windows, sure we need more apps but we'll get there.

mjrtoo says:

Need more apps, I hear that all the time. What apps do you mean? The 10,000 fart apps or sexy girls on iTunes? :-D

ErikWithNoC says:

Your kind of an idiot if you believe that. The malware is usually from installing 3rd party applications OUTSIDE of the play store. This is why there is an option in the Settings that has it disabled by default. Clearly you've been misinformed by the various "Anti-virus" app makers stating this malware bull**** so they can sell their apps (it makes sense).
If someone wanted to make malware/virus ridden apps for WP I'm sure they could, but the amount of Windows Phones in circulation is so small that its not worth the effort.

XboxOmac says:

If Nokia by any chance is about to go down (hopefully not), then Microsoft should just buy them. Let them make their own phones. They are actually listening to people with Windows Phones. And they know how they visualized it.

MadDogFL62 says:

Nokia is an acquisition waiting to happen.  Either Samsung or Microsoft will snap them up soon enough.  I am sour about the Nokia relationship with MS as Microsoft wants to allow them to offer special apps and market exposure.  Has anyone seen or used the new Galaxy S III yet?  How about a version of that device running WP8?  We're not talking tablets here.  There are a number of phone manufacturers that make a better phone than Nokia.  Why based on current rumors, Nokia may even miss the 2012 holidays.  If WP8 is a dud, it will be Microsoft's fault for not offering a variety of devices this Fall like Android.  MS had better not put all of thier eggs into the Nokia basket.

slyjr2 says:

I think they made the wrong decision but no company makes better phones. Not even Samsung. Better software but not more features or build quality

paulomalley says:

Actually, I have used the GS3 and to be perfectly honest, it is one of the most laggy, plasticy feeling phones I have ever used (and I swap devices every few months). I would personally hate to see a version of that device running Windows Phone.

ejlee072006 says:

Nokia can't afford to compete here in the USA, the experience will be the same with other laggy androids,there is no way they can make a dent in the USA market, they have no option b if they fail with android.. Last thing is.... THEY NOT DUMB!!!!!

RyanDaLyon says:

They actually do have an option b.

derek533 says:

Heck no Nokia didn't make a mistake.  There's already Samsung, HTC, Sony, and Motorola making Android phones.  What could've they possibly done different than the other manufacturers except for trying to one up everyone else on the spec front.  Big freaking deal.

If they will just keep focused on WP8, they'll be golden.  It mgiht be a rocky summer but as soon as they drop a WP8 phone with Pureview, watch and see how many people flock to the WP fray.

This is coming from someone who just switched from a rooted/rom'd DroidX.  WP is such ah breath of fresh air and 100x better than Android at this point.  Even though my device is considered old (HTC Trophy), it still is faster and smoother than my X ever dreamed of being.

davidsalazar says:

I believe it was the right choice, since its the most complete ecosystem right now. If you see neither Google or Apple... Or Samsung have an ecosystem with gaming consoles that work as TV computers as well, a huuuge percentage in the business and home computing, now they even have tablets. Then the missing piece, mobile, Nokia gets it with exclusive apps, APIs for app development, beside, they still hold Symbian or anyway they call it right now, ay least for budget phones. The problem of adopting Android is one, Google. So far Android hasn't given any profits to Google cause, even though they have gained about half a billion from it, they have spent five times that amount in development, ads, carrier promotion, etc... Google is a company that depends on ads, sooner or later they'll fall since they are realizing that ads in web pages and mails are no longer the frontline for advertising. Today apps rule advertising, but how do you place ads in every app... Its ok for free ad supported apps, but still paid apps are Google's hell since they can't, at least legally touch them. That's why they are desperate to get some way to promote ads with the Nexus 7 and the Nexus Q. Then, in the short term Google might have placed Nokia back in the radar with lots of competition, but they would be risked for the future. With iOS of course, no option, Apple wants to fuck the world with a crappy OS. Blackberry... Well either MS buys it, or BBM people are going offline. The answer to all this problem, Windows Phone, long term solution...

JodyMaccz says:

Nokia should have had a better start with Android but there is a better future with Windows Phone

12Danny123 says:

Whiners you need to shut the fuck up all you whiners can go to fucken hell

mjrtoo says:

Really, did your dad leave his account open or something? Way past your bedtime....

bruceleer0y says:

I know this sounds silly but as soon as windows phone gets the apps that are on android and ios it'll be fine. The majority of people that buy phones arent tech hardware and software lunatics. They only care about the popular apps and the apps that their friends have. I know Nokia/MS are doing their best to make this happen. Anyways WP fo life [crosses arms]

I didnt know much about Nokia until they hopped onboard with WindowsPhone. But people raved about their hardware so in all honestly they probably would be in better shape today if they went with Android. I don't think they would have gotten lost  among the other Android phones. Samsung stands out among the rest and the S3 is ugly and that plastic sound. gross. But I think WindowsPhone OS fits better with Nokia. Also they've taken MS's money so they are going to have to ride it out.

brorim says:

I,m going to buy stock

ejlee072006 says:

How the hell can u make Nokia different from them all??? Nokia with MSFT is the right thing....enough the talk going android....

david90531 says:

Not at all. I think they were brilliant and brave for taking on WP7. The only mistake I would say is releasing a flagship mango phone shortly before the announcement of WP8 and telling users that Wp7 can't upgrade to WP8.
I'm personally okay with that news, but it's because I'm a first gen WP7 user and will be more than happy to switch to a brand new WP8 by the time it comes out

myjota says:

I am sure wp8 is better then android 4.1 . Now nokias turn create the hit phone.

tekhna says:

I think they made a mistake, but I also think it wouldn't have mattered much in the end. Nokia phones running Android would have sold like hotcakes in Europe, and might have had some chance in the US. But their profits would have been squeezed. Then again, they've probably been pretty crimped by basically giving 900s away, so it might be a wash.
To their advantage, perhaps, comes down to WP as the article stated. And no one knows Windows Phone exists, much less wants it. So in that sense, they have their work cut out for them, and could make a dent if the OS takes off.
I think in the end though, it comes down to whether Nokia can survive until WP8 phones come out. I'd place even money on them being bought out by September 1st.

I think it's pretty astounding that Samsung's Q2 profit will only be slightly less than Nokia's market capitalization. http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/05/samsung-q2-2012-earnings-projections-...
That's surreal.

dannejanne says:

I think they made the right choice. We don't need another Android manufacturer that has to compete with Samsung.

Bo-ho I'm gonna buy an iPhone if WP7.8 is not good enough. Bo-ho I want WP8.

So instead of buying a new WP8 phone they say they will buy a iPhone or Android instead. They have to buy a new phone in any case! Probably to an OS they think are inferior because they do want WP8.

We all know it's mostly whining. They will get a WP8 phone when they realize their failed logic or just quit whining about it and smell the reality.

In the end... it's just a phone.

thecember says:

I told them to go with Android but they dont listen.

adam morden says:

i was preparing a longer post writing about how nokias software dept. and ongoing online services would have been rendered useless if choosing android but relly, i can only say this: no, no, no way... i just hope android never touches any phone built by nokia, it sould be like aston martin making a family wagon

Big Supes says:

Nokia did it out of principle; such beautiful hardware shouldn't run such an ugly OS. ;) Jokes aside, I totally agree with this article. Is Android saving Sony? Not really. Nokia are a standout company when it comes to their products. They're known for differentiating themselves from others so becoming a generic Android OEM doesn't exactly flow. As things stand with Windows Phone, they've basically made the platform their own. The beautiful hardware coupled with a sleek and sexy OS resonates the good ole days of Nokia... days which they needed to get back to. Nokia would be in trouble if Windows Phone was in danger of going kaput....but its not. With W8, is actually about to explode and Nokia has cast a huge net for a BIG yield.

paulm187 says:

Nokia were not stupid. They put all their eggs in one basket because Microsoft offered a life-line for them. Even if Nokia lose every cent, there would be an injection of cash from MS. Nokia have a long term plan and were well aware of Windows Phone 8. The experiance they gained from the Lumia phones will be crucial for their new WP8 phones. If nokia had gone with Android, they would have been just another Android OEM. Apart from Samsung, no one else is making real big money, even HTC are suffering. Sure, Nokia would have sold more phones but it wouldn't have stopped the rot. What Nokia needed was an emergency heart-bypass, short term pain but long-term gain. Going with WP was the right decision.

There is no sexy os in wp, Android is getting better and better, for sure nokia is looking loooong on Android.

Big Supes says:

The general consensus among critics is that WP has a beatifully elegant and intuitive OS. Stating otherwise just makes you look like a troll. Android is getting better and better... so what? So does Windows Phone. . .

cedarlog says:

Nokia was and still betting on windows phone for the future
they are betting on bussiness market, gamers market and windows users market

garpen0 says:

I actually bought Lumia 900 this june because I felt sorry for my finnish neighbour Nokia with their losses. Have not regret this purchase anyday. The support I get through my phone from Nokia with unique apps is fantastic. My friends who all have Iphone 4s  are all actually impressed of the Lumia 900.
Will not hesitate to sell my Lumia 900 and buy Nokias new flagship for Windows 8, as long as it looks good, has a better camera and keeps the same 4.3" size ;-)
To be honest I've tried them all, ios and android. They all have their many apps and settings but I feel MS is on something big right now. WP is the most sexiest os for phones I have experienced. However it's far from perfect. I hope MS listens to their customers on what's there to improve and add this to the WP8 upgrade. They have a unique chance this fall and I hope MS and Nokia will take it.

Nakazul says:

Its
All the speculation from every camp, that's is what's making Nokias future uncertain.
It's in a bad loop right nw and everybody is speculating and that can be more harmfull then anything.

cgk says:

Does it really make much difference? In both situations, Nokia is reduced to a client organisation that has to follow the whims of either microsoft/android - moreover, in terms of profits, Samsung/Apple are dominating the sector and I couldn't see that changing (in the short-term, in the long-term nothing lasts forever) if they had picked android.
I think there are wider structual concerns within the sector that means Nokia is more than likely done.

mb-dape says:

I dont think that it was wrong to go with WP, but I think it was wrong to go with ONLY WP.
Back in the days when Nokia was the nr 1, not only in the developing countries, they had a phone for everyone. From the most basic phone to the Communicator for the demanding enterprise users. Symbian is (was) very versatile. Although user friendly UIs wasnt invented back then, the Nokia customers felt familiar with their phones, they knew how to use them and felt safe with their build quality which has always been top notch.
Look at Android now, its the new Symbian. From the 99$ phones for kids, to the enterprise phones, to the nerd phones with quad core and HDMI, even to the phones with senior UIs with just big letters and basic funtions.
You can say they are laggy and ugly and so on, but people buys them. Many people.
I definitly think Nokia should have gone with Android too, or developed Meego further with Intel, they werent too far away from getting Android apps running.
Nokia has always been in the front line when it comes to technical inventions in their phones, I am sure they would have been a major player in the Android league, where the space for own hardware solutions is so much bigger then in WP, or actually exists at all.
I think that a Nokia portofolio with both WP phones and Android phones would have been a great combo, as the WP is more of a iPhone opponent.

This.

It wasn't wrong to go with Windows Phone.

It *was* idiotic to go with *only* Windows Phone.

scottae316 says:

Liked this article except with one problem, the idea that no other platform has phone, tablet, and computer running the same. Um... Apple does, while there is a difference between iOS devices and the computers, they are not that different. Microsoft does have XBox gaming, that is the only extra in the Microsoft ecosystem.

ikissfutebol says:

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Apple makes a smartphone and a device that is about 2.5x bigger than said smartphone. Microsoft is creating an operating system that can run on desktops, laptops, and tablets. They (Microsoft) aren't gimping a tablet for the sake of being only interested in high profits and can't find a start up to buy and innovate their full OS to be usable on a tablet.
Until thermal issues are sorted out on a hand-sized device, a smartphone will always be the least powerful of the desktop/laptop/tablet/smartphone. In my eyes, there is no excuse to have your tablet (which should have more than one port for accessories) be incapable of running the exact same apps as your desktop/laptop and the same OS. I realize there is a difference between x86/ARM, but that's something that will likely go away with Windows 9 or 10. Metro is clearly the way forward in the eyes of Microsoft.

As I've said before, I think Nokia is actually in a good position right now. They own the Windows Phone market. When Windows Phone 8 is launched, I would reckon they'll continue to sell more devices than the other WP OEMs while more WP devices are sold in general.

mb-dape says:

You are right that the Surface seems interesting, and the Surface with Win 8 x86 can probably be to Microsoft what the MacBook Air is to Apple.
But I am not impressed by this "exact same apps on all devices" arguments.
Dont you see that then it always has to be a compromise? I dont want a full blown Office suite on my tablet, and certainly not on my phone. Running Metro apps on a Win 8 desktop computer is also a compromise.
Of course the best apps is the ones that are developed for a certain type of device. Android tablets have a hard time because they are more or less just a big phone. iPad on the other hand has a big catalog of apps, developed just for that format.
Win 7 tablets that could run "the exact same apps" as a desktop computer didnt sell.
I am sure that if the iPad had been running OSX, it wouldnt be such a success.

mjrtoo says:

I somewhat agree with that, but the game has just begun, we haven't ever seen this platform before so I hesitate to make a judgment on how useful it could be. There are a lot of really smart people out there that will use the cross platform ability to do things you and I haven't even thought of.

ikissfutebol says:

Have you used the preview versions of Windows 8 on a desktop/laptop? I feel like the apps work just fine. I like that I can have a bunch running and my same computer (using a crappy IDE hard drive) handles everything better than my SATA drive with Windows 7.
I think the whole "compromise" this is an Apple buzz word against non-Apple products. You compromise with any and every single piece of software, if you really want to be picky. You are taking what someone else created for what they feel most people need.... that does NOT mean it is the best for you, has everything or too much for you, etc. I hate looking at the iOS facebook app because I prefer the look of the WP facebook app. Does that mean the millions of iOS users that use the facebook app are compromising? Only if they prefer something else to it. Remember- Apple = best marketing/branding company in the modern era.
Your arguement that Windows 7 tablets don't sell because they can run the same programs as a desktop or laptop is not entirely the whole story.
Android tablets came out a bit after the iPad and already took close to half of the iPad's lead. It took a little while to figure out the pricing, but they seem to be selling just fine.
Your arguement that because Windows 7 tablets that run desktop apps don't sell and, therefore, Metro apps must be awful on a desktop is not accurate. I use Office on my Lumia a few times a week... not to do data entry or anything, but to pull up information, just like I see people using iPads to do with Pages or whatever. A program that is mouse/keyboard optimized is pretty useless for touch, however, the reverse is just not true. Other than pinching in/out (which I wouldn't need to do with a mouse a keyboard) show me something I cannot do with a mouse and keyboard that I can with a touchscreen in Windows 8?
The people that say Apple is still an innovator without Steve Jobs forget that history repeats itself. What happened the last time Steve Jobs left Apple? The difference now is that they have a marketshare in the mobile devices space so they can just play catch up and keep the hardcore fans happy. Once you have carriers pushing Windows Phone 8 / Android to get out of Apple's irongrip, Apple will start bleeding marketshare for a while... and 3 of the 4 major carriers (plus some small time carriers) have already said they plan to do so.

BKsInBarre says:

Excellent article, fully agree keep up the great work. ^_^

Microsoft needs to buy Nokia and produce a high and low end WP phone on all the carriers. Between Nokia product builds and the builds that came our with the Zune, I would have much confidence in some high quality stuff.

Jazmac says:

Whatever the sentiment there is out there on what Nokia should or should not have done, there is nothing to gain for them to do what other markets are already doing in HTC, Samsung and the rest.
There is no crystal ball saying that if they went android they would be any more successful than doing what they are doing now. With android, they would still be competing with the devices already on the market and they would have to share the spoils with them. If they had launched the Lumia 900 with android with a awesome lens but lackluster picture taking ability, they would be laughed out of the market. IMHO. Then where would they be? Sitting on the bench smoking a blunt with RIM talking about the good ol days.

manmeetvirdi says:

I love my Lumia 710.
It has limitations but I still like/love it.
I hate Android though very much.
I like iOS but then its $$$.

All important apps I have and don't want to fall in loop of choosing apps, and Windows helps in this regard as they don't have many :D

My usage graph is 40% surfing, 50% of time reading tech news/sport news etc in app called Weave, 3% listening to podcasts, 3% playing games like iStunt 2, Splinters Cell, 4% using various apps like SkyMap, Evernote, WPCentral and few others and Iam done and satisfied with my phone.

My usage of Twitter and Facebook is limited to what is provided in phone itself and have not downloaded special apps for them.

I like cool looking OS of this phone. Don't know what's there in future for Nokia bit I think they will do well. They can come out with new series of Nokia with Android OS can't see anything wrong in it, but I will go for only Lumia line-up.

AnuragJais says:

It is well known that Windows phone is having less than 3% of the total wireless mobile devices all over the world. Of which the three major producers are HTC, SAMSUNG & NOKIA. The point to be noted is that Nokia has increased its participation in windows phone by 12% of its contribution before a month ago it has. And I think it will increase more because it has launched two more lumia devices recently.

Nokia should also join the Android camp. I mean I'm sure they will dominate Windows Phone 8 but they can also sell some cool Android phones as well.

WinFan1 says:

I have faith that even if Nokia cannot manage on their own ms will buy them out and create phones as beautiful as the surface Nokia lives within ms and ms's awesome Os gets the funding it needs and the time to get it right

Nokia, in my view seems confused, just look at the 7.5 and 7.8 issues. Then there is the wp8, meego issues. Why is Nokia releasing 808 on old Symbian and not even improving the is. Nokia, make beautiful hardware but that is the only great thing they have done in my eyes. Symbian, should have been improved on switching to MSFT still was a mistake in my view. MSFT once led the mobile is now they are copying and playing catch up. For the record I own a wp7 phone.

MediaCastleX says:

So what exactly have they copied? Please elaborate in English with thinking thoughts and good spellings... =/

First off, i see no point in having a rude and abusive conversation, with your comments. Secondly, if you cannot have a civilised conversation and unable to read or understand a different point of view then, you should not bother with forums.
MSFT, have copied several things, Nokia, has always been original in my view, the real problem with Nokia now is their OS for their phones, they say they have a plan B. Do people who bought Lumia's care about that? we all thought Nokia, had major influence with MSFT but just learning about wp8, I do wonder, how much did Nokia know before the announcement? There are some of us, who prefare to have an alternative to APPL, GOOG and RIM but where is the  company Nokia? Many people still do not know what wp8 contains despite people claiming they do, so it is really difficult to feel comfortable with Nokia right now.
I mean buy a unlocked phone for over 500$ to be told that wp 7.8 is all you will get, not everyone wants a locked phone. I looked at the reviews of the 808 great Camera but the phone it's self is backwards, why release a phone like this? to me it makes zero sense, meego, is also losing their staff. So, I am one of many who see's a very bumpy road for Nokia? Trust is important but how can you trust Nokia? if they sign up for wp and then say oh, we have a plan B? I do not recall any of their competitiors stating that, they are usally confident in their products or be it license products. The Lumia's were doing great before the wp8 annoucement but how many people will buy them now? which is such a shame because they are beautiful phones, such lost of potential. I wish Symbian, was being improved to make it competitive but the will was just not there, sad but true, meego too.
In regards to your question of what msft, has copied, they have on several things but this is not the topic of this discussion.

Kredrian says:

Most people don't care if they get WP8 or not, as most people don't know what they have to begin with. How many Android phones are running ICS? How many will get Jelly Bean? I bought my phone for what it can do today, not what I think it might do a year from now. I agree, its a hard pill to swallow, but I know several people with Windows Phones, and they don't care what version of the OS they got. They like the phone, they like the OS, so whats the problem?
Most of these comments about it are from tech savvy people that actually keep track of this stuff, which is not the majority of users. Most users want a phone that works, that they can browse the web on, that is dependable. Thats all they care about. I bought another Lumia AFTER the annoucement, why? Because its a good, solid device that will work just fine, the price on them are better than ever, and it matter little if it won't get WP8 if what I need is here today.

manmeetvirdi says:

Bottom line:
Nokia +MS >= iPhone
Nokia +MS >>>>Android shit

spaulagain says:

Wow that Android UI looks lame and ugly on the Lumia 900. Windows Phone and the Lumia series are such a perfect couple in design and quality. They both look fresh, fun, and simple. Android looks so dated, even it its newest Jellybean version!

MediaCastleX says:

You wanna know how I know Nokia will survive? Star Trek. =P

ErikWithNoC says:

I'm sure Nokia's decision to go with Microsoft had nothing to do with the billions of dollars they gave them...

Nokia's decision to go with Microsoft had nothing to do with what they thought was best, it was a BIDDING war and Microsoft had the highest bid. Pretty simple to see why they went with Windows Phone, they needed the money and Microsoft needed the hardware. Nokia gets $250 million dollars per quarter from Microsoft.

Sumit8 says:

to answer the question asked in the headline: no

nyc_rock says:

Nokia would have been better off with Android becuase they can differentiate themselves.  Every WP is exactly the same.  Built to the same specifications dictated by MS.  The Lumia was outdated when it hit and now  the early adopters are being shafted with no upgrade path.  What a mess.

Kredrian says:

Seriously? How can you say that? What would Nokia do to compete with Samsung? Or HTC for that matter. They would offer just another Android phone. There would be no compelling reason to purchase one over the hot Android phones like the Galaxy line.

byutah says:

Great analysis. WP will be a success and if they survive they will be looked as as innovators. Business is a gamble and this one should pay off.

Safeabz says:

No to be fair they only got three wp7 mobiles and its still early stage like Xbox it takes least three to four years for it to grow , I have faith in wp8 but they need to bring cool n more devices on WP

loribinca says:

Well @ $1.93 a share, why not give it a shot. I bought some stock today. You never know. I might make a few bucks on it.

woreyeoe says:

based_graham says:

No. From what I can see only Samsung is really cashing in on Android thanks to their strong push with their Galaxy line. Why wouldn't Nokia be sucessful? Because Samsung products are everywhere you see Samsung TV's, laptops, monitors etc you see the branding everywhere samething with Apple. Nokia doesn't have that yet. It needs stronger branding. Nokia + Windows is a good choice it allows them to be a leader and premier OEM for Windows products.

based_graham says:

Nokia isn't doing good job selling their investors. I would focus on that.