Cyan Updates!

Lumia Cyan Updates!

Cyan update hitting Lumia 920 users in UK, Italy and Spain

Cyan on AT&T

Lumia 520 and 925 on AT&T finally get Cyan and 8.1

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Report - Nokia Lumia 920 sports HAAC Rich Recording microphones

Lumia 920

Rum: 8

The Nokia Lumia 920 has more tricks up its sleeve, according to a report by SlashGear. If their sources are correct, the Lumia 920 may well be sporting high quality Rich Recording microphones to compliment the PureMotion HD+ display and PureView camera technologies. PureSound, anyone?

Rich Recording is a broad-frequency sound capturing system that featured on the Nokia 808 PureView running Symbian. Nokia failed to mention such functionality inside the Lumia 920 on Wednesday's announcement, and the official specification sheet is of no help - though we have seen mistakes made on these in the past.

According to SlashGear, the Windows Phone sports a trio of special microphones Nokia co-developed for Rich Recording. What does this mean for consumers? The 'High Amplitude Audio Capture' (or HAAC for short) microphones are able to record a broader range of frequencies than standard microphones. HAAC microphones reach 140 dB, which is a significant increase against traditional microphones. This leads to clearer audio being recorded with less distortion.

An official explanation of the HAAC microphone concept:

"To cope with high sound pressure levels, Nokia has developed together with microphone suppliers a new microphone concept (High Amplitude Audio Capture) that can capture high sound pressure levels with perceptually no distortion to the audio. It is capable of recording up to 140 dB and higher Sound Pressure Levels, while that commonly used digital microphones can only reach 120 dBSPL without heavy distortion. As high amplitude audio levels are tolerated, there is no need to limit the frequency response. Hence full audio bandwidth to match to human hearing capabilities can be provided when capturing with HAAC microphones"

The end result is less distortion in recorded audio that is present in most common camcorder functionality. SlashGear further notes that Rich Recording itself isn't mentioned by name in the data sheets they've received, but key software specifications reportedly match those of the 808 PureView.

Source: SlashGear

Comments

Gigantuouse says:

Hell yeah. One more reason to get this phone!

Oh I thought the reason was the HD + display amoled or the amazing pure view camera or the amazing design or the wireless charging wait no the different color options or no wait the fact that it's windows 8 on a Nokia phone oh I don't know witch one :/ to many reasons my head is spinning! To many phone without all the amazing things in one phone :S this is just crazy what will be the next step for Nokia ???? Idk but ill be there to buy it :D lol

rightisray says:

"What will be the next step for Nokia?"  Maybe put an SD slot in the d@mn thing...;)

danisoufi says:

The display isn't AMOLED, it's LCD.

Solidstate89 says:

The 920 is not AMOLED, it is an LCD display. The 820 is using AMOLED. Check the damn specs page.

hary536 says:

It's an IPS LCD.(probably super LCD), and based on what we have seen so far, probably better than any LCD/AMOLED in the market so far.

DaSchnee says:

I actually prefer LCD because with amoleds I'm always afraid of burn in while using it as a sat nav for a long journey

Im already bragging to my buddies how amazing this phone is gonna be...

mrcraggle says:

I really hope that is has Rich Recording. I feel like it would really compliment the new PureView tech inside the 920.

Dare2Blink says:

Indeed in just wondering why didn't Nokia mention this ... I mean they need show all their cards to win consumers

hammerhand says:

Agreed. I appreciate how technical Nokia is in their presentations, but they really need to shout the buzzwords loudly for the public. Pureview to take great lowlight photos! Rich recording so you can get great videos at concerts and shows! Higher resolution, larger screen, and greater pixel density than the iphone "retina" display! Etc.

I agree whole heartedly.  Despite all the amazing tech in this camera, Nokia's presentation was about as entertaining as a funeral.  I'm a huge Nokia fan, and even I was bored with the quickness.  The one thing Apple has mastered is the ability to convince the public of the superiority of their products, despite their technical inferiority on paper.  Nokia really has to excuse to not do well this year, and if these phones fail to sell im putting the blame squarely on the marketing department.  Hopefully M$ will step in here.

Residing says:

I don't think it is ready, or rather, perfected yet for the 920, as this is as much a technological advance as Pureview.  For the 808, they couldn't wait to announce and give examples of Rich Recording!  Although, someone did mention that the Lumia 920 has 3 mics - I don't think the 808 has that many mics, so maybe this is a different version of Rich Recording.

Only Nokia knows!  Hopefully, Nokia will 'confirm and verify' the closer they get to launch!

pbroy says:

Now you will know what those group of girls are saying about you while you record them standing outside of the nightclub as you drive by.

jbrandonf says:

Probably nothing good if I'm recording them while driving by outside of a nightclub.

eshy says:

this phone will be perfect for bootleg convert videos

dandunk says:

My thoughts exactly!

Rick Smits says:

This is good news as my Lumia 900 has bad audio recording. i use my camera to take videos at concerts :( idk if the latest firmware fixed it or not as i haven't been to another concert yet. My Samsung focus did the job just fine.

dalydose says:

If this is true, its making it more difficult to wait for the second wave of WP8 Lumias. If the cam had been 16MP (for lossless digital zoom) and they had included expandable SD card storage, it would have been a no-brainer.

sepatown says:

One thing I've learned in life is, you can't get everything you want.

jcutting says:

Why the hell not?? :-)
Seriously, though, while I'm not really concerned about the 16MP camera, the lack of microSD really has me thinking.  I'll probably still get the 920, but that's one disappointment for me.  If they were to at least offer a 64GB version, I think I'd be satisfied.

Fiann says:

That's right. A wise man once said, "You can't always get what you want (but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.)"

ustudio says:

well its a no brainer already but if it had all that stuff, the brain matter will ouze out your ear

laserfloyd says:

Oh yes, please.  I want this so much.  Would be icing on top!

shaunydub says:

So does this just affect video recording?
Are they seperate to the the mic used for phone calls?

hary536 says:

Lumia 920 also comes with HD audio. No one has mentioned this so far, but it mentioned on the spec sheet.

Shane says:

PureVoice....

Shane says:

Qualcomm has already trade marked PureVoice, oh well.

bilzkh says:

PureView,
PureMotion HD+,
PureVoice HAAC,
ClearBack Display
City Lens AR
Exclusive Nokia app catalogue

....Just missing PureSound (for unmatched audio).

Here's to hoping that all their close work with Monster and JBL will culminate in PureSound.  On a side note, I think Nokia needs to trademark Pure, even their joint venture headphones are coined Purity Pro.  In fact for me there are only two speed bumps, don't get me wrong it's a brilliant phone, that are keeping me from being 100% onboard: I would have preferred a slightly larger screen, 4.8" anyone? And something to rival HTC and Beats as far as audio fidelity goes.

winbot says:

I'll tell you right now "beats" is a scam. Monster sells 2$ hdmi cables for over 100$. Have you tried the touchpad? Weakest speakers on the planet. Have you ever heard sound through "beats headphones"? There's no real sound engineer would actually use them. An audiophile would use something else.

Ho Hey says:

Beats is not a scam

As an audiophile I only use beats. I've tried everything under the sun, and none compare to beats quality. I've worked in studios and have recorded some of the biggest names and can honestly tell you beats are the best, bar none.

winbot says:

Unfortunately, yes, beats is a scam. Being under the Monster umbrella is one thing to be wary of.

Now, as an audiophile myself, I can tell you factually, the most used pair of headphones used in most industries - be it movies, music, etc... - use Sony MDR-7506's.

Here's a video of Dave Rat doing proper tests to headphones. I believe he's also tested the beats and came to the conclusion they are no better than dollar store headphones, with the exception of the ear padding.

winbot says:

Why buy beats headphones when you can make you own?
Here's how lool

winbot says:

Even Dre uses Audiotechnica
LOOOOOL

jbrandonf says:

That honestly sounds like a metric ton of bullsh*t. And goes against everything I've ever read about Beats by people who know a lot more than I do.

ustudio says:

with that bezel at the bottom the could have done it with out changingize maybe the nokia lumia 1000 will be bigger

isnoozu says:

Does anyone know the Frequency Response (Hz - MHz) capability of the microphones/Rich Recording? Are these microphones used in voice calls as well (no more tinny sound and more warmth)?

tissotti says:

Like usual Nokia has made white paper how the tech exactly works.

As a Nokia 808 PV owner i can tell that the quality is just in a same level as the camera. It's just out of this world how it example records my dog walking on the beach or loud concert.

Truly amazing. If Lumia 920 really has rich recording i do wonder why they didn't mention it. it was made a big deal on 808 and rightly so.

nsg1000 says:

That 808 is a beast

vp710 says:

I got excited to read the news on slashgear but their wording isn't encouraging: "may", "source", "waiting for Nokia's confirmation".

Cool... I wonder if that would make for a nice speakerphone option too...

gwydionjhr says:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that it was indeed a MONO HAAC microphone.
If indeed it does have PureSound it would pretty smart on Nokias part to hold that back until the actual WP8 annoucment so they've got a few standout features to get people's attention with again.

gwydionjhr says:

BAMM!
From a tweet last night
Damian Dinning‏@PhoneDaz
4. in terms of audio recording, the difference is mono in the #920 vs #808 which is stereo.

See, I'm not crazy!

paulheu says:

Product page clearly shows Mono with high volume capture

Ho Hey says:

Now what about sound quality? Can't possibly be better than SRS or beats audio.

Not really smart with audio technology, but would this then also make a vast improvement to the quality of voice reception when making phone calls too?

hary536 says:

rakeshrai says:

Take note that it's mono though. So the Puresound name might not be appropriate. No where close to the Rich Recording on the Nokia 808.

MerlotC says:

Whats the point of stereo when the mics are next to each other. When I edit footage from my video camera the "stereo" wave forms are identical left and right.

alrutani says:

Do you mean support by the wording sports ?

myjota says:

The verge is android troll site

myjota says:

They blocked me

laserfloyd says:

Well I'll still take great mono sound over what I have now. :)

MerlotC says:

woohoo!  This was the feature I most wanted (for recording concerts) and was dissapointed that it wasnt mentioned. If true then Im definately getting the 920.

Gken says:

Like I needed any other reason to get this phone!!!!!  Aww who am I kidding this is awesome!  They should just call this Phone the Nokia Pure.