Cyan on AT&T

Lumia 920 and 925 on AT&T finally get Cyan and 8.1

HTC One W8

HTC press event August 19th for One W8 Windows Phone?

Verizon to get HTC One (W8) for Windows Phone on August 21

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

HTC 8X for Verizon picks up small update, no Windows Phone 8.1 yet

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Samsung's bringing HDR, Smooth and Slow video to their Windows Phone 8.1 app

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Updated Comparison Guide for Windows Phone 8 devices

WP Central Updated Comparison Guide for Windows Phone 8 devices

We had already created a comparison guide for the higher end Windows 8 devices but many requested a complete guide that included the HTC 8S and Lumia 820.

The specs guide is not designed to be exhaustive but should cover the key differentiators between models. We have the visual guide for comparing the devices by size included below as well should make the decision of what to go for even easier.

WP Central Updated Comparison Guide for Windows Phone 8 devices

Comparison by size:

WP Central Visual size guide to handsets Windows Phone 8

We still don’t know what Huawei are planning for Windows Phone 8 but as soon as we get the official word it will be added to the guide also. We’d certainly love to hear your thoughts on all these handsets. With the exception of the full Windows Phone 8 OS reveal itself you have everything you need to start making your minds up.

Let us know what way you’re going to go. Is there a perfect device for you here. Comments are available bellow.

Comments

Soxpranos says:

Good read , going with Lumia 920.

x I'm tc says:

I would like to make the same choice but please, for the uninitiated, how will the 920 run on T-Mobile USA?  There are so many bands here I'm getting confused.

I have always thought that to get 3G and the super fast "psudo-4G" (P4G) HSPA+ on T-Mobile you needed a phone that got AWS 1700.  However, none of these phones do, not even the 8X which is known to be coming to T-Mobile.  Will an unlocked Lumia 920 be able to get T-Mobile's 3G/P4G?

Also, is there any such thing as an unlocked phone on Sprint?

DiabloBlanco says:

They must just not be listing the 8x version that will have TMob bands. Unless they come out with a Tmob 920 an unlocked 920 will not work with Tmob 3g+. Yes, there is such a thing as unlocked Sprint phones, but none of these will be an option.

myrandex says:

Some sprint phones come with a sim card slot (see iPhone 5), and can be sold as unlocked to put other sim cards in them. Taking an unlocked gsm phone to sprint is not possible though, and cdma phones are not ublockable on the traditional sense as GSM phones.

Also T-Mobile is adding additional frequencies where people might be able to get 3G on the 1900 band I believe without 1700 support. They are preparing micro Sims for iPhones to get them on their network supporting HSPA+ connection speeds.

I'm decided for the 820, although it bothers me a bit to downgrade from Gorilla Glass and the beautiful curved screen, and also not upgrade the resolution from my current 800.
But, it has the perfect screen size, SD support, great design and Nokia apps are the most important thing to me, which restricted my choice right from the start to Nokia only.

dsba says:

Same here, but I,ll stretch to the L920.

jaysandal says:

I'm getting lumia 920,eagerly wating for it.

phazer89 says:

Missing LTE 2600 for the 920 though.

phirefly says:

It bothers me that only the Lumias mention LTE support. I'm sure the others will support it when they launch but it still bugs me.

jkercado says:

Nokia Lumia 920 is the winner for me!

Carchathoth says:

Same here. Superior hardware/software and support. Also way better
battery life, than for example HTC ever has.

slyjr2 says:

U must have never used the Radar. I get a full day with heavy usage and 2 days moderate

kenzibit says:

HTC 8X WP all the way.

JayJayTG says:

Correct me if i am wrong by all means but are you sure the front facing camera on the 920 can record 1080p? I thought that at least a 2mpx sensor would be needed for this? Cant wait for the 920 btw - the most sexiest thing i have seen since women!

JayJayTG says:

Seems i was correct ;)

hoonigandad says:

No hspa for 920 either?? Not good for ATT

DiabloBlanco says:

There's no way any of these GSM phones aren't HSPA+, the chart probably just isn't listing it.

Ticomfreak says:

Samsung focus isn't...rest is though

tonyfreak215 says:

I have a Focus and I have HSPA+. The Focuses are capable of it.

AhmedWP7 says:

I am sold to Nokia lumia 920

ccaballero says:

The Lumia 820 also have super sensitive touch! At least according to it's spec page http://www.nokia.com/us-en/products/phone/lumia820/specifications

robert brand says:

Holy Smokes! You're correct, good spot! It is now corrected. Thanks RB :)

Still going red Lumia 920 here, although I'm not gonna have any trouble recommending any of the options to friends and family looking for new phones. Right now, it just depends on what's available on the US carriers.

Adding the specific carriers to the chart under each phone would be helpful. Actually, should be mandatory. How is any of this data useful without carrier data? So what if the Nokia blahblahblah has a 117 mega pixel camera if it's not carried by my preferred carrier.

robert brand says:

Good suggestion but including a carrier listing in this crib sheet isn’t on the cards. We might, however have a carrier guide coming up soon though. RB

schlubadub says:

Such is the beauty of buying outright...

robert brand says:

Agreed, I wont be buying on contract again. :)  RB

sam_1204 says:

Nokia Lumia 920 red or yellow.!! #CantWait :)

CSJr1 says:

I have had an upgrade available since June.  And was/am eagerly awaiting the new WP8 device.  I was sold on 920, hands down best of the bunch.   However I think one company has an Ace up its sleeve with regard with an unofficial WP8 device comming before the end of the year.

Its a big gamble, but I know the 8X is not HTC's flagship phone.  If I wait and the new device is not up to par with the 920, then I am a fool and I get 920.   If I get the 920, and the new device is what I expect, then I will have buyers regret.   My decision -> Whats 2 more months of waiting right, my cracked screen WP7 gets extra love:)...  (nervous smile)

wp_steve says:

Where did you hear about a different HTC flagship? Did I miss that article?

Odog4ever says:

You "know", meaning you have an inside tip? Or your just hoping for a different phone from HTC?

djca says:

HTC 8X Specs
HTC 8S Specs
Does your field for "G-Sensor" refer to gyroscope sensor or accelerometer? All these phones have accelerometers but do they all have gyroscope sensors? HTC lists G-sensors for both 8X and 8S. I believe G-sensor is what they call their accelerometer. No listing for "gyro sensor" in the specs. Their spec sheet for the Titan and the One X list "gyro sensor" separately from g-sensor. Do you have confirmation from HTC that the 8X and 8S do have gyroscope sensors?
Also, HTC doesn't list a digital compass for the 8S.

cdbstl76 says:

You took my question! I too want to know about this.

incendy says:

Think I will sit out this round and see what comes out in the spring. I like what Nokia is doing as far as features "especially if that touch with gloves works", but that phone is too big for me.

tampacoder says:

Can I add a suggestion for comparison guide?  You should add what wireless carriers do the phone supports.  You can list all the specs you want; but at the end of the day if your carrier don't support the device then your options are limited. Its sad that we have to deal with this; but I guess in some sectors the "free market" is still limited by some.
**EDIT**
Looks like Virtuous Lumox already suggested this.

Eirenarch says:

Perfect. If I were you I would keep this chart updated as new devices get announced.

chad08er says:

HTC 8s is my next phone.Im not a gamer or run alot of apps so the 8s will be perfect for me.

I notice people talking about how the 8x has wasted space for being so tall and only having a 4.3 inch screen. I'm trying to figure out why the 920 weighs so dang much? Jeez!

marantaz says:

8X... 920... 920.... 8X.... Ativ S... my head hurts!
The 920 has so much it's a 'god i'd love to have that!' thing, but... the cost will probably be too high.  If it's competitive with the 8X, then I'm in trouble.  If not, it's a war between the 8X and the Ativ S.  The 8X has me now, I like what I see in the camera pics and all, the only thing is the screen, which is a lot like the iphone 5 ... tall and thin.  The Ativ S is tall and wide, maybe too wide... I need to hold these babies in my hands and get the feel for them, and see if the thin screen of the 8X will compare to the fat screen of the Ativ S.  Until then, articles like this will continue to drive me nuts.

erwt says:

I will probably skip this generation of devices and wait for the next. I really don't like the size of the 920 (might change when I actually get to hold it, but doubt it). I actually really like the design and size of the HTC 8S, but its specs is a bit of a let-down, and it remains to be seen if HTC will support this platform like Nokia has.

titandude says:

16 GB is such a big fail. It's so sad, because it would have been such a nice alternative. Lumia 820 and 8s have expandable memory, but 820 has .3 front camera and 8s has NO front camera. It seems like we have a lot of choice. But for me its only ATIV vs 920.

garak0410 says:

Here's my situation. I am a music lover and a huge ZuneHD fan. I have a 64 GB Zune HD. I have it about 60% full. I want one of the new Windows Phones to replace my Zune and I don't want to stream my music. So, my logical choice is the Samsung because of the expandable storage. I like what I am hearing about the 920 and HTC 8X and want to go with one of them but I want expandable storage. Wonder what I'll really be missing going with the Samsung? I currently have a Galaxy S2 and it's camera has never let me down...

robert brand says:

I understand your situation completely. I am also a ZuneHD user, I have a 64GB device knocking about. The current generation of WP handsets mostly come with generous amounts of memory but I think it’s a shame that 64GB is not a standard option on a high end device. Heck, why not give us more if we want it? The MicroSD card slot is interesting but at present, we don’t know really how well this will act as additional storage. If its seamless then great, if it requires extra steps to get content off and on it then, not so great.

Not long now until the final reveal and we know much more..

RB

NXH says:

I really like the 920 as well, but I have to agree...why is it so darn heavy? I currently have HTC G2 and it feels heavy which weights 180g and Lumia 920 is 185g. I just have to wait and hold it in my hand to see how it feels. Next to 920, Ativ S is the second choice...so thin, so light and I still like the classic look.

hwangeruk says:

Are you intending to bench press your phone?

Perenor says:

Now, what I would be interested in seeing, would be a comparison chart that also includes a couple of non windows competitors, like the Samsung Galaxy SII and SIII, HTC One S, X, Iphone 4S, 5 etc.
Could you do this? I don't think anybody has done that yet out there on the Web. So you'd be the first ;-).

HTC 8X in red please. Was considering Lumia 920, but carrier exclusivity killed that option for me.

arvink1978 says:

Isnt it odd that only Lumias mention LTE support. (I'm sure the others will support it when they launch, but when? Vodafone had a announcement recently about it)..

lrleslie says:

I've always had great Samsung devices - Sound system, Washer/Drier, etc. I had a Focus for W7 and I have an ATIV S for W8. I don't know how anything could be much better.

Just wondering however, how fast will the ATIV S 8.1 update will be made available.