Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia updates Network+ again

Nokia buying Medio Systems to improve its HERE maps service

Nokia Lumia 930 confirmed to be coming soon to Ireland on Meteor

Non-special Accuweather app heads to Nokia Collection for Windows Phone

Accuweather

We’re not sure where Nokia is headed with this one but there is now a second Accuweather app in the Windows Phone Store, but this latest one is for Nokia Lumias only.

Now before every non-Nokia owner out there throws a fit, there is no difference between this version and the open one for all Windows Phone users. In fact, it’s slightly older being at version 2.1 whereas the common app is at version 2.2. This is similar to the Nokia SoundTracker app, where as far as we know there are no differences either.

So why does Nokia have a special version (that’s not really that special)? We can think of two possible reasons: this app may be now available in more regions where Nokia sells Lumias or, at some point Nokia will update this app to have more features like Nokia's Weather.com app with augmented reality.

At this point though for most of our users, you’ll want to stay on your current version of the app as this one doesn’t bring anything new to the table. Whether or not it does in the future remains to be seen and we’ll keep you posted.

For those who do want to check it out, you can grab it using this link from the Nokia Collection. Thanks, Sanil T., for the link!

QR: Accuweather Nokia

Comments

Big Supes says:

Does anyone know what's special about TuneIn Radio, GroupOn, Weather Channel, and Sky News in the Nokia apps list? AFAIK, they're just the norm, but listed with the exclusives....

Well, we talk about Nokia's WeatherChannel app above and point out that is augmented reality...Groupon will be getting an update soon for WP8 from Nokia.

cool8man says:

Hey is it just me or are new Nokia Collection apps no longer appearing in the Windows Phone Store? I am only able to get at the new Nokia apps via the separate Nokia "App Highlights" app. Apps like Bloomberg, Nokia Music and City Lens do not appear in my Nokia Collection section.

hoonigandad says:

They're still there on my phone, 13 apps in thd nokia colkection

cool8man says:

I should mention I'm on AT&T and using a Lumia 900.

I have 21 apps in the Nokia collection.
I have 24 apps in the Nokia exclusives of App Highlights.

The missing apps in Nokia Collection include:

• Nokia Music
  • ESPN FFL
  • Nokia City Lens
  • Style Saint
  • entrance by Aol
  • Soundtracker
  • Bloomberg

The missing apps in App Highlights include:

• App Highlights (for obvious reasons)
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Sesame St. 100th Day of School
  • Univision

sholokov says:

That's the same thing as Samsung exclusive Tango and the open to all Tango. No difference.

Well, technically all the OEMs have a Tango app because it's optimized for their FF camera hardware. At least that's the reason we're told. Actual functions and features are of course the same.

Alvina Ruby says:

I love these photos here and I want to also be posted here. GPS travelling clubmed travelling travel counter

jcagga says:

I really hate their accuweather.com logo on live tile.... Distracting

Why all these articles about the official phone of communist China?

Why all the poor quality of comments, like the one above mine?

barry.weston says:

How is Nokia or the Lumia 900 the official phone of communist china? That makes no sense to me at all. Maybe some of these apps are being added to Nokia so Nokia can clkerp them polished. The actual dev may no longer have the interest in maintaining that app and Nokia, being as dedicated as they are to WP, is taking over to keep some apps on life support? Just a thought.

Anti-China comments right from the place which made China filthy rich are hilarious. And petty.

kayb27 says:

If this is an attempt to troll, you're doing it wrong

stevethenerd says:

I have never been a fan of accuweather...

Nakazul says:

I was back on my HD2 and WM. Since then, I been wondering why they keep them self aroun WP7 since its many times worse, at least in Sweden. They where great once.

AhmedWP7 says:

Any news about Skype and windows phone 8 ? And how it is integrated?

AhmedWP7 says:

There should a new post talking about this

aemond says:

Hi Daniel, your first hypothesis seems accurate. When I saw this app in the Nokia Collection (yesterday), I checked immediately whether the Weather.com app from Nokia was still there or not. And unfortunately, the Weather.com app is no more available in the French Marketplace (glad I downloaded it weeks ago). On another subject, I tweeted you a few days ago about Huffington Post and the fact that the official app disappeared from the Marketplace... if you want to investigate!

WinPhanKyle says:

How about Nokia remove the ads.

sicnus says:

Nokia exclusive, first racist phone ever. The End. P.S. I love China, please censor this post.

jdep1 says:

So many apps for Nokia lumia no love for the rest good thing I have a developer unlocked device time to side load.

rikycaldeira says:

I've searched for this app before and couldn't find it. Now I can, so the "available in more regions" theory seems right. I'm from Portugal btw

cedarlog says:

im annoyed with exclusive apps no one should touch marketplace apps
it should be 1 full location for everyone

jdep1 says:

Me too. Exclusive or only at one region. Good thing we have more apps than iOS & Android oh wait MS is working on that.