WPCentral App V3

Official Windows Phone Central app v3.0 is now available!

You may have noticed a lot of changes around here lately, whether it be our desktop and mobile websites, or on our forums, we’ve been rather busy. Of course, not to be outdone by all this change, it’s time for our app to see an update, and it’s a fairly major one at that.

So I present to you, the official Windows Phone Central app version 3.0, and the product of months and months of hard work, testing, private betas, and then lots more hard work!

The update is available to download right now from the Windows Phone Store here, but if you want to find out what’s new, read on for a feature list. Video walkthrough will follow in a future article, so stay tuned.

Our headline feature this time around, and one that with no doubt has been the most frequently requested, is full forum integration. Swipe over to the browse section and tap the forum tile and you’ll be welcomed to the new forum home screen (you could also tap and hold the forum tile if you want the option to pin it directly to your start screen - see above photo).

WPCentral App V3

We’ve built this forum support from the ground up, based on the Tapatalk API and you’ll find support for:

• Posting and editing entries
  • Browsing the forums including sub forums
  • Quick jumping around the forums (just tap the header when you’re browsing)
  • Viewing photos attached to posts
  • Following links posted by other members
  • Viewing profile information about users (just tap their tile when viewing a thread)
  • Sending and receiving private messages
  • Deep linking to forum posts from articles and vice versa
  • Viewing recently participated and latest posts from the home screen
  • Searching for a post within the forums

We’ve also made a few other changes you might appreciate:

• A new live tile to match the new site logo (rolling out soon to the website - this is a preview)
  • New wallpapers featuring our new logo (available in 20 accent colors)
  • Customisable themes for the app and live tile (try out a new Windows Phone 8 colour!)
  • Improved YouTube video support with HD streaming even on mobile connections
  • Rebranded with the new site logo
  • Adjusted margins to bring more content to the front
  • Added jump options to the comments section
  • Fixed a multitude of bugs
  • Made several optimisations to the app
  • Reduced the app’s installed footprint to less than 1MB

I’m quite sure I’ve forgotten something from that list but hopefully it’s enough of a change to make you interested! We’ve also made all forum functionality available to free users, you guys will just see the same adverts you’re used to.

Without a doubt this has been a very challenging few months for me but I hope you’ll all feel it has been worth it! Of course, we always welcome your feedback in any form, so please comment, e-mail, post on the forums and generally get in touch!

Comments

FW190D says:

About time, guys! Never liked the roundish approach.

Can't wait until I get my WP! Really want to see what the WP Store is like and what the os brings to the table.

Updated app yesterday. Wow! Still trying to work through everything. Well done. Lovely to use. Always pinned to start...thanks

Nakazul says:

Used the app for a day now and loving it. This app is still perfection, and as such, i love it. How ever, the wallpapers (beautiful) look a bit low in quality, sees pixels on my HTC Titan.

admatt says:

Excellent: Fast load speed. Beautiful clean and smooth metro interface. Great tile design, love the new news number. Whoever did this should be highly commended.

Jay Bennett says:

SillyBirds says:

Weird, ever since the update, the marketplace tells me there's an update available.

But clicking makes it disappear. Happened twice so far.

Aldoron says:

Comments section jump FTW :D

SMMinke says:

In a world where people rarely take the time to speak up when something is done well vs. When they want to complain, let me say "Well done, Excellent". You guys are rapidly becoming the model for how App-Development should work; You take the initiative for provide more value when you see the opportunity to do so, rather than waiting until the criticism of the lack of wanted features becomes overwhelming and results in a half-hearted upgrade. With every upgrade, the WPCentral app has become simpler, more beautiful, more intuitive, and more powerful. Those are the hallmarks of any truly great product and you guys should be proud of taking pride in your work-- something that we see way too little of in the App-Development world.

SMMinke says:

Also, loving the ability to have a different "tile accent color" versus the "in-app accent color". This allows me to have a tile on my start screen that is a different color than my other tiles (to show off the beauty of Windows Phone to others as those colors "pop" and stop everything from blending together). Then, within the app itself, I have "XBox-Green", which is s striking contrast with white text entry boxes and black background. Not sure if this is a new feature or if it's just "New to Me", but again-- well done guys.

SMMinke says:

Another potentially "new to me" feature is that while in the comments for an article where there are many comments, pulling up the 3-dot menu gives a "Jump to First" and "Jump to Last" option. If this was there before, sorry for missing it. It's so useful though that mentioning it again here is likely still valuable as a reminder for existing users and for our "new former iPhone and Android" users that should be getting involved here soon. ;-P

Jay Bennett says:

Both of the features you mentioned in these few comments are brand new, and I'm glad you're enjoying them thank you for the kind words

SMMinke says:

You make it easy to thank with such a great app and for taking the extra time to address comments here over your weekend. Enjoying it as I'm sure others will once they have a chance to look at it.

For some reason I can't upgrade to the new hotness! Im on a HTC HD7

TyCleary says:

I really want to try this out! My Windows Phone 7, an LG Optimus, died shortly after the 7.5, Mango, release. I have been out in the cold this whole time. Looking through the window at all the nice apps you guys have. This will be an install, day one on my WP8 handset.

pmhgeneral says:

Thanks for a great app!! Could you add a button to go back to the beginning of articles like the one going to last article?

jaywinjv says:

its not available in the UK market. HTC Trophy.

jaywinjv says:

ok, got it after restarting my phone :)

vikrant6 says:

Awesome app just got better and better. loving the new logo and accent colurs. Great job guys!! :)

SMMinke says:

On the tile, I like the way it resembles the Windows Phone Platform. I'd like it more it is represented the "colors" people will associate with Windows Phone, so each piece of the tile would be a different "Windows Phone" color. And the "black hole" might be good to remove. Constructive criticism for an awesome app!

Pages