Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Samsung's bringing HDR, Smooth and Slow video to their Windows Phone 8.1 app

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

EU and South Korea working together to develop 5G networks

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia welcomes Samsung back to Windows Phone and hints at something big next week

Nokia Welcomes Back Samsung

Nokia has humorously welcomed Samsung back to Windows Phone, thanks to a photo published to Twitter by Doug Dawson, Media Relations Head for Nokia. In the image, one can see a banner being held that reads "Samsung: Nokia welcomes you back to Windows Phone...". Samsung announced its ATIV S smartphone running Windows Phone 8 yesterday at IFA 2012, in Berlin.

Some have been surprised that Samsung managed to beat Nokia by unveiling the first Apollo Windows Phone, but Dawson offers reassurances that Nokia is going to hit hard next week.

Doug Dawson Tweet

It's certainly an interesting move to visit IFA with such signs and call Samsung's Windows Phone presentation a "warm up" for the real deal. Then again, with what Nokia has produced in the past year for Windows Phone, we're definitely looking forward to what the Finnish manufacturer has in store for consumers.

What's more is Dawson went on to offer Maggie Reardon, reporter at CNET, a camera phone for her upcoming wedding. A wink was added to this tweet which makes us believe there's something big happening.

Are you looking forward to what Nokia is going to unveil to the techsphere? Be sure to sound off in the comments.

Source: Doug Dawson (Twitter), via: My Nokia Blog

Comments

YEEEAAAAHHHHH BOOOOIIIIYYYYYYYY!!! NOKIA !

WinFan1 says:

"Then again, with what Nokia has produced in the past year for Windows Phone, we're definitely looking forward to what the Finnish manufacturer has in stall for consumers."
Mr. Edmonds dont you mean "In Store" ?

Rich Edmonds says:

Fixed. Thanks :-)

Jay Bennett says:

Yeah Rich is trying out voice recognition technology you see...

What are u talking about Jay? Or are u just trolling?

Agent-P says:

Try saying "in store" and "in stall" with a British accent. To voice recognition software, those would sound very similar. Heck, even to me they sound similar.

shilla says:

You mean an "English" accent. There's no such thing as a "British" accent.
If you're Scottish, Welsh or from Northern Ireland then "in stall" and "in-store" sound totally different.

WinFan1 says:

no problem didnt really bother me but i know at some point. i just figured id let you know

Jf.Vigor says:

Lol no he means something for us as we sit in the stall

Sarang68 says:

If Nokia thinks this is warm up.....one wonders what the company has up it's sleeves??
Patience....Patience. :-)

Mafijoco says:

Its good that nokia teases us, i hope they actually deliver.......
As daniel said he thinks its unlikely that  they will release a pureview phone so what will it be ......

Shane says:

I agree, it better be something good, or at least better then the Samsung device.  You poke the dragon, you better be able to slay it.

Jf.Vigor says:

Daniel is right most of the time but there's way too many hints to there being a pureview phone in their lineup. I think even Daniel will be surprised

ironnmetal says:

I have to agree. I think Daniel is being a bit too conservative. I'm sure there could possibly be something else equally as cool as PureView that Nokia could unveil to justify their "warm-up" comments, but right now PureView makes the most sense.
I guess we'll see soon!

WinFan1 says:

Excitement Excitement I just can't wait

willied says:

As much as I like Nokia, that's kind of douchey for them to call Samsung's event a warm up, regardless if it is or isn't.

WinFan1 says:

That's competition

ahabenezer says:

Yeah, and in the US, corporations are people, so from my perspective, it's not that far off from a 'yo mama' joke.

nizzon says:

Oh come on man! They are big boys they can take a little trashtalk.

ThePKReddy says:

Its a marketing strategy. The underdog needs to attack the big dog (but back it up by delivering). Its samsungs job to ignore it. You'll never see MS bashing MacOS. Where as apple bashes windows constantly. If Nokia isn't bashing Samsung, then someone at Nokia isn't doing their job. The windows phone challenge should've started from day 1, but the OS wasn't up to the challenge then, but they still should've been on a bashing campaign because MS is the underdog in the mobile markets.

I can't believe this is a serious comment...

ironnmetal says:

It's not really douchey, it's cheeky and fun. If Samsung showed up at a Nokia event and help up signs that read Beta Test 2.0 it would be equally cheeky and I would love it just the same. Traditional marketing is boring and stale. This is just fun entertainment.
It's all fun and games until someone gets sued. Until then, sit back and enjoy the creativity.

Cellus13 says:

Its just a joke lighten up.

gorebashd says:

I can't wait lol. Nokia ftw! But Samsung focus was my first wp7, I'm sure it will be good also

smontoya2 says:

I love the call out competition to be the best WP8 device. It lets other manufacturers know that they need to step their game up in terms of design & specs. More competition means better (premium) devices for consumers to choose from. A win, win situation for all of us.

Rauliulian says:

A pureview, vapor mag unibody, curved glass full hd screen :D

JD Miles says:

Yes,Yes !!!!!

I don't accept anything less.

Neusyn says:

Hooray for high standards that are possible.

1jaxstate1 says:

For a company that's on the brink of shutdown, they sure are snarky.

ejb222 says:

They are far from shut down. Your comment is far more snarky than Nokia's...but what can you expect from someone hiding behind a keyboard on the interet.

1jaxstate1 says:

What am I hiding from? Do tell.

Nakazul says:

Hey, if one is to go down, do it shooting, shouting and screaming ^^ Sure is fun to see Nokia stepping upp and poking the bear =)

nizzon says:

Well then.. they better deliver if they are being this cocky. :)
Cant wait for next week!!!

ahabenezer says:

Whatever they unveil, I'm really hoping that it gets released shortly after their event next week. As much as I don't care for Apple, that's the biggest thing that I wish other companies would do like Apple (unless Apple has patented releasing hardware shortly after announcement events).

ThePKReddy says:

Lol at patent

BK-one says:

Apple just filed a patent to patent the word........wait for it..... Wait for it..... "PATENT"

Residing says:

Well, if these pics are to be believed, Nokia has some pretty decent looking devices forthcoming:

polofaby says:

sorry but that has already been debunked..Fake (concept)

Don't call it a come back

ThePKReddy says:

Nokia is doing what MS and other OEMs should've done from the beginning. Good for them!!

blackprince says:

That's some big balls they got swinging there

ironnmetal says:

"You have balls... I like balls."

Stilicho says:

More dull boring slabs of dayglo plastic that don't function terribly well. I've had nothing but moans about call quality on both the Lumia 800 & 900. The good old Samsung Omnia as well as being the best looking and best built of the original Windows Phone 7 devices also outperformed both Lumias as a phone. I'd be very careful about appearing too smug and cocky if I were Nokia. If Samsung's ATIV S is a good a piece of hardware as the Galaxy S3 I'd take one over a Nokia any day.

WinPhanKyle says:

Haters gonna hate

MastrMeatWad says:

I think Nokia is more taking a stab at Samsung not really focusing on Windows phone because they have been all about android.  Well, that and Samsung has yet to give WP the hardware they give android and wasn't the last Samsung WP the Focus S? Hence the welcome back to WP comment.  Nokia should want Samsung to put out quality WP's because consumers take notice when they release their phones, Galaxy.  The more attention Samsung provides WP the better for WP as a whole.  Bringing more customers to WP will help Nokia in the long run so they need Samsung to put out great phones.  At least, that is how I see it.

DemiNutive says:

Samsung's latest wp7 device was the Focus 2 and man I hated that phone, I finally got AT&T to give me a Lumia 900 after having 3 focus 2's over heat on me. Trust me I didn't treat my phones with malice either... Samsung has left a bitter taste with me for devices on WP.

johnblair7 says:

Dull boring slabs, most people think the Lumias are fantastic designs. Plus only heard of poor call quality not experienced it. Most people rate them as good call quality. Another good thing about Nokia, Apple paid them, not the other way round.

clay113 says:

An opinion that is not shared by most Lumia owners. Right now as I'm writing on my Lumia 900 and I can attest to it being one of the best cell phones I have owned, and I have had many. You don't win several major awards for design being a boring slab. Hope you had fun with your rant.

renisans says:

Go see an optometrist. Seriously, you need to...

OMG55 says:

I've not had one issue with call quality or anything else on my Lumia

hoonigandad says:

I just hope they live up to their own hype! =)

GO NOKIA!!! I think it's great when the little guy takes on the big guys. As a few others have stated, it would be tasteless if Samsung or Apple were "picking on" Nokia, but now that Nokia has dished out some hits, I hope they really "bring it!"

rstall#WP says:

Samsung already sold me on there new phone lets see what Nokia can do next week because I wasn't impressed with the lumia 900 already having a focus s.

rx74ray says:

+1. I am into HTC now. Lets see if Nokia can bring a large screen.

Spyral says:

-1.  I don't want to carry around a huge screen in my pocket. If Nokia strays beyond the 4.3 inch screen in the Lumia line, I won't be purchasing any of their WP8 devices.

daguila29 says:

Love competition! :D

I thought this was pretty funny...samsung has a really nice device and one I feel they will finally push to the masses so Nokia is smart for going on the offense...im excited to see what's in store, and let us not forget HTC...its gonna be a great holiday season!!!

aubreyq says:

I'm looking forward to having a choice for my first WP8 phone during the holidays.

1jaxstate1 says:

Did Nokia have to shutdown for half a day, so that their remaining 13 employees could go carry welcome back signs? Where's Elop?

Nokia has 122 148 employees... Haters gonna hate...

dkp23 says:

I am sure samsung's device will be good quality, but those are standard specs for the past year or two.
Hopefully Nokia comes out big with Pureview!

mrolympia74 says:

Yeahhhhhh!!! I feel like a school kid again. I can't wait till Sep.5!! go NOKIAAAA!!!!

pallentx says:

Looking forward to Nokia's new devices, but Samsung coming back to WP (especially in light of their Android/Apple troubles) could be very good for the platform as a whole. The more manufacturers that get behind WP the more momentum can be built.

operand says:

Kudos to Nokia to make a statement like this and hopefully they back it up.

the1aboveall says:

New to this site coming from iMore.  I can honestly say I'm looking forward to the next Lumia.  I went into the Microsoft store and fell in love with 900.  What sucks is that I'm on Sprint and I'm afraid I'll never have an up to date device since they don't want to carry WP for now.

Ash_Biz says:

Besides the high-end Lumias, I wish Nokia releases a low-end WP8 device like the Lumia 610 for emerging markets like India.. If they can price it at ₹10,000-12,000 (~$200), they can make a fortune out of it atleast in India.

lippidp says:

Welcome back? That is in poor taste, but also inaccurate. Nokia's most recent WP was the Lumia 610 and Samsung's was the Focus 2. I dare say that Samsung wins that one.

Rob41664 says:

Hardly. Samsung still doesnt support WP. Look at the apps and drive that Nokia brings. Cant say i ever saw an advertisement for my Focus S when i had it. Reworking anjd android leftover design vs what Nokia brought arent even on the same level. I never got an update for my FOcus S but have got several for my Lumia.

lippidp says:

That's fine that you prefer Nokia over Samsung. I do, too, but welcome back implies that they left. That would be accurate for LG and Sprint, but certainly not Samsung who have three current WPs.

VagrantWade says:

Nokia makes the best Windows phones hands down so good for them. Samsung makes plastic toys that feel like burner phones. My toothbrush is made of better material than the S3 backplate.

If Nokia takes as long to release their next phone after announcing it as they did with the 900, it will be a bad move. I was hyped about the 900, and after a couple of months, I couldn't be bothered. I was even going to break my contract with TMobile. Meh.

Face2000 says:

Competition with in the WP eco system is good for all of us I personally don't have a problem with what NOKIA is doing at least they are making noise for WP can't say the same for any of the other oem,s. I can't wait to see the rest of the offerings from the rest of the manufacturers because I'm pocketing one of them come release day.

Oh yeah pureview on the way baby

gillaz1976 says:

It was only a matter of time before Samsung distanced itself from the awful android

md_minhaj says:

Don't have big hopes. It may just be dud like windows phone 8 os announcement.

OMG55 says:

You're the only dud in here, can't you tell???? If windows phone 8 OS announcement was a dud, why are you in a the WP area of WPCentral's site? Shows how much you know; The WP8 is news worthy, as stated above, if it were a dud you wouldn't be keeping up with it!

Dragenox says:

Now ... I am so excited that I seriously wish I could just fast forward time by changing the date and time on my Lumia to 4 September (and wait a day)

Eg0nz63 says:

Yeah, lets take the gloves off and smear the opponent. Oh wait that sounds like the elections campaign trail. I like Nokia with a knockout in the 5th.

dmazin82 says:

I was already pumped for Nokia WP8 reveal! I love trash talking. Competition = better phones.

Xaphoon148 says:

Think that was polite :-)

Cellus13 says:

Nokia Welcomes you back to windows phone, Samsung.
Translation: Congrats on finally getting out of bed with Android for the moment.

jdep1 says:

Excited about all the new devices!

monigal2 says:

I just hope the images of some rumored phones I've seen for Nokia lately are fake. I really hope Nokia does well!!

jimmy1one says:

Strong words smack to the max lets hope Nokia has the juice to back it up