Cyan on AT&T

Lumia 520 and 925 on AT&T finally get Cyan and 8.1

AT&T's Lumia 1520 is now getting the Windows Phone 8.1 update

Strong subscriber growth powers AT&T's Q2 2014 earnings

AT&T may rollout Windows Phone 8.1 update 'as early as this week'

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

HTC 8X for Verizon picks up small update, no Windows Phone 8.1 yet

AT&T Nokia Lumia 635 arrives on July 25 for $99 as prepaid GoPhone

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

AT&T Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 coming November 9th for $49 and $99

It’s official. AT&T has just announced the date and pricing for the Nokia Lumia 820, Lumia 920 and the HTC 8X as well and by our estimates, AT&T is getting very aggressive with pricing here.

The Nokia Lumia 920 will be available this Friday, November 9th for just $99—a full $50 less than what Best Buy was pricing the device at just a week ago. In addition, AT&T will be offering a free wireless charging plate with each purchase of the Lumia 920 while supplies last. Windows Phone Central accurately brough you that news a few days ago. Preorders start tomorrow, November 7th.

The Nokia Lumia 820 will fetch for just $49, also available on Friday, November 9th with preorders also beginning tomorrow.

The HTC 8X will surprisingly come later in the month, before Thanksgiving but with no firm release date yet set. That device will command a higher price tag for $199 for the 16GB version and just $99 for the 8GB option, which will also be available California Blue and Limelight (yellow).

There is little doubt in our mind that AT&T is making the Lumia 920 the best option with heavy subsidies. Coming in with 32GB of memory, the Lumia 920 is significantly cheaper than the same offering of the iPhone 5 with comparable memory ($299).  Throw in a free wireless charging pad and for $99, users are getting a very good bargain for what is arguably one of the most powerful devices on the market today.

Full presser below...

Windows Phone 8 smartphones arrive at AT&T Nov. 9; pre-orders begin Nov. 7

Special AT&T Promo Offers Free Wireless Charging Plate With Purchase of a Nokia Lumia 920

DALLAS, Nov.6, 2012 – AT&T* announced today the availability of three new smartphones in its growing Windows® Phone 8 portfolio.  Beginning Nov. 9, AT&T customers will be able to purchase the Nokia Lumia 920 for $99.99 and the Nokia Lumia 820 for $49.99.  Before Thanksgiving, customers can pick-up the Windows Phone® 8X by HTC® with 16 GB of memory for $199.99.  Additionally, AT&T revealed an exclusive version of the Windows Phone 8X by HTC with 8 GB of memory in California Blue and Limelight (yellow) for $99.99.  AT&T is only carrier to offer this device in Limelight.

Starting Nov.7, the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will be available for pre-order at www.att.com/lumia920 and www.att.com/lumia820, respectively.  The unrivaled leader in Windows Phones, AT&T has sold more Windows Phones than any other carrier.

Nokia Lumia 920

The Nokia Lumia 920 includes the latest advances in Nokia PureView imaging innovation. The 8.7-megapixel camera features advanced floating lens technology, dubbed ‘optical image stabilization’ which helps eliminate blur by compensating for hand movement while photos or videos are being shot.  The camera in Nokia Lumia 920 can take in five times more light than typical smartphones to capture top quality photos and videos in low light.

In addition to its 2000mAh battery – the largest battery Nokia has put in a smartphone – the Lumia 920 includes built-in wireless charging capabilities** for an easy, convenient way to get more out of every day.  For a limited time and while supplies last, AT&T will also include a wireless charging plate – free of charge – with each purchase of a Lumia 920.

The Lumia 920’s 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display is protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass and is optimized for readability in the brightest light conditions, even outdoors on a bright day.  In addition to its durable, scratch-resistant, curved display, the Lumia 920 also has a new sensitive touchscreen that lets you type with fingernails or while wearing gloves.

Available in red, white, black, yellow and cyan, the Lumia 920 is available for pre-order beginning Nov. 7 at www.att.com/lumia920 for $99.99 with a two-year agreement.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia920.  A look at the Lumia 920’s features in action is available in this video.

Nokia Lumia 820

The Nokia Lumia 820 is a snappy, mid-range smartphone that delivers high-end performance in a compact package. It features the same unibody look and feel as high-end Lumia smartphones – including a ClearBlack display and new sensitive touchscreen – in an attractive design that supports exchangeable shells. These exchangeable shells, which are sold separately, are available in range of colors and features, including wireless charging.

The Lumia 820 offers the same exclusive content as the Lumia 920, including Nokia Drive, a turn-by-turn voice navigation solution, Nokia Music, a free music streaming service and Nokia City Lens, an augmented reality application that uses the phone’s camera viewfinder to provide information about points of interests in the surrounding area.

The Nokia Lumia 820 comes in black and is available for pre-orders beginning Nov.7 at www.att.com/lumia820 for $49.99 with a two-year agreement.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia820.

Windows Phone 8X by HTC

The Windows Phone 8X by HTC boasts a pure unibody design perfectly sculpted with a dramatic taper that feels thin in your hand and its stunning 4.3-inch 720p HD display (1280 x 720 pixels) brings photos, video and Web pages to life.

The 2.1-megapixel, 88 degree, ultra-wide front-facing camera is able to capture self-portraits of you and the faces of up to four friends all at once. The 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with an f/2.0 aperture allows you to capture great photos and videos – even in low light. As the first-ever Windows Phone 8 smartphone with built-in Beats Audio™ technology, this device gives users authentic, studio-quality sound.  The device has a unique audio amplifier that powers the 3.5mm audio jack and speaker to provide improved sound for music, video and even gaming.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/8xbyhtc.

For the 2012 holiday shopping season, AT&T will be the only U.S. carrier to offer new Windows 8 tablets to their customers.  Samsung ATIV smart PC offers customers the blend of PC capability with the convenient tablet form factor.  Beginning Nov. 9, the ATIV smart PC will be available in AT&T company-owned retail stores nationwide and online at www.wireless.att.com

AT&T customers have access to the nation’s largest 4G network***, covering 285 million people. AT&T has two 4G networks that work together for customers, LTE and HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. That means AT&T customers are able to enjoy a widespread, ultra-fast and consistent 4G experience on their compatible device as they move in and out of LTE areas. With smartphones on other carriers’ networks, when you travel outside of their LTE coverage area, you may be on a much slower 3G network.

*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.

**Wireless charging accessories sold separately.

***4G speeds not available everywhere. Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more at att.com/network.

The names of companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Comments

bjax says:

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Curtieson says:

HAPPY DANCE!!!

aubreyq says:

Who's going to pay TWICE the price for HALF the storage? The 16GB 8X is going to get its ass kicked. The 8GB might sell, though.

The 8X is the same price as the 920...

flyboy009 says:

Think you mean the 8S, not 8X

ATT isn't selling the 8S.

From the article:
"The Windows Phone 8X by HTC will be available in two models – California Blue with 16 GB of memory for $199.99 and an AT&T exclusive in California Blue or Limelight (yellow) with 8GB of memory for $99.99."
That would make the 16GB 8x (half the storgage of the 920) twice the price. The 8GB 8x (1/4 the storage of the 920) is equal in price.

Granted, I am getting this purely from this article. I cannot seem to actually load prices on ATT's site. :(

aubreyq says:

The 8GB 8X is the same price as the 920 but has 1/4 of the storage. The 16GB 8X is TWICE the price of the 920 for HALF the storage.

ymcpa says:

The article says 8X w/ 16 gb of storage for $199. The Lumia 920 with 32 gb of storage $99.

Any word on off contract on AT&T? Not best buy. And can it be unlocked?

asuprice says:

More than likely $449.99

sayzar says:

Try $599.  I really hope it's less because I want one so bad!

pizzalovinhulk is probably so happy. As am I.

rwcrossman says:

One word sums this story up.... WOOT!

aln12483 says:

I don't get it, I thought the Lumia 920 already comes with a wireless charging plate?!?!?

jsnod25 says:

No its capable of, but it's an accessory...

It comes with wireless charging built into the phone, the 820 requires the shells. But you need a wireless charging accessory.

scottcraft says:

That's a really great deal! Picking the 920 is a no-brained at those prices!

ade333 says:

How does Nokia make any money with these prices? Honestly, is there ANY profit for them with these prices?

Mifter says:

That's a carrier subsidy you are seeing, not so much Nokia directly, it still costs $600 off contract. Its AT&T that's taking the hit.

CreepinJesus says:

No mention of the contract price, though. Probably something ridiculous like $80/mo for 24mo, so after your contract's up, you've paid close to $2000 on a plan you probably only use 20% of.

jaethos says:

That price seems about right, but the contract doesn't have any bearing on that. It's the same price with or without a contract.

jerrynomenon says:

if you go w/o contract, u have prepaid options like STraightTalk, which offers 45$ for everything unlimited

Jeebus137 says:

The contract price has no bearing on what smartphone you get. I have 6 family members on a family share plan and have unlimited talk and text and 10GB of data to share and we each pay $55/ mo.

BigReub says:

American contracts don't work that way. The price of the phone is independant of the phone you purchase.

Kormiko says:

Some people in other countries wonder why we get new phones every two years.  They ask... "What's wrong with your current phone?"

What they don't realize is if we don't get a new phone every 2 years... we're basically throwing money away.  I wish my monthly payments would shrink once my contract was up... or if I buy an unlocked device on my own, but it just doesn't work like that here.

I think T-Mobile and some of the smaller carriers might be different though.

ymcpa says:

ATT contracts don't have a minimum plan. They do require a data plan with smartphones. However, who buys a smartphone without a data plan? Also, the plans cost the same with a contract or without. So, where is the benefit of buying the phone?

Dipo04 says:

Do you know where i can get it off contract?

monotheist says:

Nokia gives it to AT&T at close to Normal prices, AT&T makes money out of their plans to recover the costs.

Woembah says:

It could be part of the exclusivity deal, with ATT maybe selling the device at lower margins. Because it's exclusive, ATT will gain new customers and new contracts because of the exclusivity of the 920 which makes up for the reduced margin on the phone itself.

ade333 says:

Not sure I can get on board with the idea that ATT is eating all of this. Pushing a device is always a balancing act, not to mention when a new iPhone is recently out. I don't see how ATT could take the risk without some kind of cover from Nokia.

aubreyq says:

It's AT&T's risk so why not benefit from it?

AT&T eating the cost is really the only reason I can see Nokia being on board with making this device exclusive. It's not like AT&T did a huge ad campaign to sell the device, so that motive is out of the question.

ymcpa says:

From what I understand, the Iphone has a large subsidy because Apple sells their phones to the carriers for a higher price than most other oems. So maybe even with the larger subsidy for the 920, it's still cheaper for ATT than selling an iphone. They are hoping the lower price will get more people to get 920s and they'll save money overall.

willied says:

Wow, that is a freakin' steal!

sepatown says:

You got that right. At this price, it'll be interesting to see how that 8X fares in comparison.

Goodbye HTC, apple, and Samsung. A cheaper phone with more storage (except the ativ) and better features. Hope they advertise a lot better than the 900.

None of those companies (especially Apple and Samsung) are going to be going anywhere. I hope the device sells, but it's not going to beat out the iPhone or the Galaxy, likely not even if all we are counting is AT&T sales of these devices.

This is a case where I would be overjoyed to be wrong, but I doubt that I am.

thuannguy says:

I feel jealous!

walter1832 says:

Let the "dancing around the office like an idiot" begin!

walter1832 says:

My only delema now is...wait till black friday for a better deal, or guarantee a wirless charging plate.  2 more weeks till black friday is not that much longer to wait.  What to do....

Curtieson says:

You can think...the plate will cost at least $30-$40 on a place like Amazon...so, the phone is only costing $60-$70... You really think it is going to drop to $1? Maybe... You could always get the phone, if it goes on sale for $1, just go and pay the $35 restocking fee, get your $100 back and then pay the $1 for the phone.

zeronoise says:

Get it 13 days before black Friday that way of there is a better deal you return it and get it again but if not then you keep it...best of both worlds

aubreyq says:

That's the first thing that came to my mind. Resist to buy on Day 1. Curtieson and Zeronoise have some good advice, there. I'm also going to check with Costco. They usually come down a bit, but then again will they also offer the charging plate? Can't wait to find out.

Long Syntax says:

Come to me Lumia 920!

bjax says:

All is forgiven ATT. All is forgiven.

snowmutt says:

Oh yes.... AT&T... everytime you tick us off, you find a way toapoligize.

What great prices. The 8X officially became uninteresting as compared to Nokia.

zephjc says:

Sorta sounds like spousal abuse

zeke009 says:

Whoa... calm down.  We're still talking about AT&T here.  All is not forgiven, but this is a good gesture to keep customers.

jfa1 says:

I have no problems with ATT nothing to forgive as far as I am concerned.

zeke009 says:

You must be in a good coverage area then.  Lucky!

Th1ckNasty says:

I do too. Lived in Vegas, Nevada. Perfect there......and then Eugene, OR.  Both places have been amazing. I would not want to use ANY carrier in a high pop and high tower place.  Shit service no matter how "good".

Gken says:

Well, throw in a few commercials advertising the phone is 100 bucks and 50 bucks, pretty sure we can wrap this marketing campaign up.  This thing is priced to freaking move!  Good job At&t, I still hate you for making us wait so long, but love you for this annoucement.  Love hate relationships are so complicated and stressful.

jagerads says:

NINE, TWO. OH! NINE, TWO, OH!

MaulerX says:

Yes!!! And THANK YOU to all the great forum members that confirmed this price yesterday!!

JPDVM2014 says:

Why can't I upgrade early!?!

schlubadub says:

You can... Tell them I gave you permission ;)

aimuatrang says:

All definitely would be forgiven if AT&T allows Lumia 900 owners to upgrade early... Yeah I say that would be fair

220SeaChaser says:

Yeah it sucks that I can't upgrade until mid-late 2013 and I'm running a Samsung Focus.

WPenvy says:

Ah I'm out of contract in February. I have to see if I can upgrade early

BlobDude says:

The latest someone can upgrade is 20 months into their contract, so if you contract's up in Feb, you should be able to upgrade this month(and renew for two years, of course).

slsterling says:

I was told it's actually 18months so it's worth trying!

MrSkippy says:

ATT screws that up ALL The time.  They once let me renew 6 months into my contract.  Half the time they have no idea when your actual renewal date is.  It never hurts to go online and see if you can.  And if not it doesn't hurt to go to the ATT store and whine at them.  They've been able to override it in the past.

JPDVM2014 says:

Hmm, I might have to swing by my local store and complain a little. Lol.

cherone21 says:

Call and ask.  I did it when the Samsung Focus was released. I talked to someone about my loyalty as a customer, the fact that I have three phones in my household that use ATT and the fact that my entire family uses it. Basically they made the determination that they wanted my business and let me upgrade early.

ncxcstud says:

So, can those who pre-ordered from Best Buy (and have not had their orders cancelled like me) call up and pricematch to AT&T?

flyboy009 says:

I'm wondering the same thing, trying to decide if I should cancel now before it goes through, or call to see if they'll sweeten the deal.

Odog4ever says:

I pre-orderd on Best Buy because I wanted to guarantee a cyan 920. $50 cheaper and a  "free" charge pad is enough for me suffer through annoying sell reps in a physical ATT store if need be.
So should I cancel and pre-order at Best Buy or will they price match (with charger)?
Can I get it shipped to my house if I pre order through ATT.com?

Looking for guidance here. Thanks in advance.

snakecharmr says:

I just got off the phone with Best buy. The order will not change to the lowered price automatically. What we can do is after we recieve the phone is call them back and they will credit the account the new price amount. If the free charger is not with the phone we can also show them the information on that and they will match that offer as well.

Higgs Boson says:

I can verify this. Just called my local BB and they also said that I i show them the price and they call and find it to be the case, they will match the entire deal, price drop and free accessory. So that's great news

Odog4ever says:

OK wow. Thanks guys, glad I didn't panic and cancel my order. :)

MrSkippy says:

Only problem is BestBuy frequently issues "in store credit" for that kind of stuff. They don't always like to give you your money back exactly.

I'm on hold with them right now to cancel the order. They won't let me cancel online.

Sukina says:

I couldn't cancel online, but when I go to bestbuy on my smartphone, was able to cancel.

zeke009 says:

Is Best Buy offering the wireless charger or is that an AT&T exclusive?

They will price match so long as a local competitor has it in stock. You can likely even go in once you have the phone and ask for store credit for the difference. The store won't be overjoyed to do it since it's a loss at that specific location without any sort of sale, but it is within their power to do it for you.

lubbalots says:

Too good to be true. Makes anybody wanna switch carriers. Lucky those on ATT. Oh well, some guys have all the fun, some guys have all the pain, some guys do nothing but complain.

Chris Coyle says:

Can you pre order at the store or just online?

MrVol84 says:

gimme two of those bad boys!

Bone Cell says:

I wonder if we can preorder in stores? I don't want to miss the free charging pad!

KumarNix says:

$99 ?? Whoaaa, if you got money you can donate some 920's . LOL

I don't follow your logic. If you got money you can donate just about anything...

hysonmb says:

Finally, an official announcement! I'll be up bright and early F5ing until I can get my pre-order nailed down :D

I think I can accurately summarise the general consensus among Windows Phone fans here: "'Bout damn time!".

Miistercoool says:

If only my upgrade was due!! that price is insanely low O.O

hcoreyh says:

This is why it's an exclusive. In Australia it's only $5 a month for 24 months. The phone price is added to your monthly contract. They really are selling this thing cheaply thanks to exclusives.

nikhilr51 says:

yeeeah, on a $60 a month contract working out to a minimum of $1560 over 2 years.
$65 a month is pretty steep. More than what i paid for my iphone 4 for the past 2 years (then again that was with 3, this is with telstra.....)

People need to understand that this is simply the price of admission here in the states. AT&T and Verizon have nationwide coverage. A nation that is far larger (in terms of coverage map) than any of the nations people are mentioning. Keeping that infrastructure going has huge costs. Even pay as you go isn't $5 a month here as someone suggested, and with pay as you go you often times, depending on the carrier, have spotty coverage, reduced data rates, etc. etc. And I haven't even mentioned LTE. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get on LTE, yet they are complaining at the costs. It's the cost of moving forward, unfortunately. Can't have your cake and eat it too, as they say.

GeekoBuntu says:

In Finland (or Sweden, or similar) I can pay USD 18 a month for unlimited HSDPA-speed data with 1000 mins of talk time and unrestricted network sharing on a nation-wide carrier whose coverage and network quality far exceeds that of ATT&T or Verizon. The latter have only limited rural coverage and even in urban areas signal quality varies.
It may not be the worst situation globally, but it isn't particularly good either. The contracts are really, really expensive for what one gets.

ymcpa says:

I'm just curious. Does the governement subsidize the construction of the network? If so, that could explain the cheap price. You pay less for the plan but pay way more in the form of income taxes, VAT taxes, sales taxes, etc.

Again, you are speaking of Finland. Compare the size of Finland to the size of the US. I am not saying this ti be rude. I am saying it because the land mass is just THAT big. On your plan, can you roam outside of Finland? Say you to the UK. Or Hungary. Or any other European country. Is there an extra fee? In the US one can go anywhere within her 50 states and Puerto Rico and not pay roaming charges. The point is, simply because of land mass, comparisons to tiny European countries don't work.

No commitment- $450.

Straight Talk - $45 a month + Tax

Montpbm says:

Wow they are going to sale like hotcakes! What about T-Mobile I needs answers now?!! Lol! Come on T-Mobile!!!!!!

Cellus13 says:

The lumia 920 is only exclusive to at&t for 6 months. So no one really know how other carriers will price during that time.

revamp says:

On Nokia's website for the Lumia 810, they have it priced at 99.99 for people on the Value plan and 149.99 for people on the regular plan.  I hope this is wrong because if its not thats the most rediculous price not matching of carriers I've ever seen.

JamesDax3 says:

Also keep in mind that those prices are after a $50 mail in rebate.

Montpbm says:

Oh ok cool thanks!

jaysean07 says:

Yeah ,my at&t buddy was right, he said windows 8 phone coming at 9. wohooooooooo
I'm so excited to get lumia 920 for myself.:)

UVSoaked says:

Hopefully this is the date where Rogers gets more 920's out, too. Still no phones (920) in London, Ontario. :(

Chris Coyle says:

Going to trade my HTC Titan in as I have a line due an upgrade.

erichon99 says:

wow, this is a gamechanger price....

NickA says:

I'm a Verizon customer, but this may make me switch.  I have 14 days to try it out, and it I don't have any issues with their network then I'm switching.

danclyons says:

Thank God! Time to lose my iPhone I've been using for the past 2 months waiting for this. Can't wait to go back to WP!

rareohs says:

Wow. I've seriously been on the fence between the 920 and the 8X, especially with the Nokia's camera disappointments... But damn, this pretty much seals the deal for me.

Nokia get that camera fix out ASAP!!!

PhilR8 says:

Same here. Sorry HTC, I was strongly leaning towards the tennis ball yellow 8X. Probably not now, though.

You have Nokia camera dissappointments?

Cristoby says:

I just reinforced my pocket seams for the 920.

ArtForm says:

This made me laugh out loud. They say all comedy has an element of truth. LOL

dharmababa says:

Not to mention the extra $100 you'll have in there!

blessthejon says:

$99 is freaking cheap.

LCARS says:

3 sold here!

dmcneil330 says:

Finally! Was that so hard AT&T? I'm going to be pre-ordering this at midnight!

Ryan.o says:

Your move, Verizon.
I'm waiting!!!

myjota says:

Chrismas gift - lumia 920

anujtwp says:

And suddenly it all looks great for Nokia! So they had this strategy of aggressive pricing and solid marketing when collabrating with single carrier and have it exclusive. Lumia 920 FTW!

Everything about this launch screams L900 launch, almost down to a T. I am not sure what on earth took this long to announce (that's above my pay grade), but I feel like the worst mistake they made was waiting this long.

ThePKReddy says:

For some reason I read that as gay parade. Didn't make sense so I re read it.

HOLY CRAP!!! I apologize to AT&T for all my venom and hatred over the past month. :D

Higgs Boson says:

Totally calling best buy to demand they price match and throw in a wireless charger or I'm OUT!! Lol...

myjota says:

Yes its heavy but best camera best screen best stabilization best office phone best for my fingers for winter

Cellus13 says:

At&t just murdered the 8x. Jeez comparing the pricing and advantages of these two consumers will definitely go with the Lumia 920. One advantage that the 8x has is that it's on other carriers to I guess it's good.

bjax says:

This is a good move on Nokia and Att's part. It gets the phone on peoples hands AND it effectively kickstarts the wireless charging movement. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.

aimuatrang says:

Would be amazing if we get to see people waiting on long line to buy Lumia 920

db4williams says:

Holy sh*tballs! I'm very jealous cause I know Verizon will never be that generous at launch with their WP8 devises. I mean  $149 before rebate (and having to wait for months to get your $50 gift card) for the very midrange Nokia 822? Come on. Nothing like fleecing your customers huh Verizon?

nwildcat says:

Order it online and Verizon will give you the rebate instantly, no need to wait for the rebate. As for paying the same to get a 822 and a 920, well...

ccube1 says:

Hope I can get it cheap in singapore  too

hardcoreplur says:

2 day window? I'm not complaining, but this is unlike AT&T.

dlrohm says:

Any word on price off contract?

asuprice says:

Usually you see $99 on contract phones go for $449.99

Xsever says:

I got the 920 from Rogers last Tuesday. I want a free wireless pad too!!!

ExcaliburII says:

might want to talk to your lady friend bout the wireless pads:)  I believe these ones are the plates:)

mjfadaway says:

Wow! Should I call Best Buy and cancel? And why is the 8X so much more than the 920?

aubreyq says:

"Should I call Best Buy and cancel?"

Is the Pope Catholic? Call BB and cancel that sh*t!!

Odog4ever says:

Apparently you can call BB AFTER you receive your phone and they will credit you the difference and hook you up with the charge plate.

lippidp says:

Americans don't use the word "fetch" unless talking to a dog. Are you a closet Brit? (don't get pissed - I'm just being a dick, or "wanker" as you might say...)

Sorry, but I think your understanding of regional vernacular is confused. We use "fetch" and "price" often together here in the States. As far as being a "closet Brit", I've only been there once and it was for 3 days.

Jojogill says:

Even I understood what you meant when you said "fetch". If I didn't, context clues would've helped me out lol.

Ticomfreak says:

I'm American and I use "fetch"

thekrayze says:

i have a dilemma now.  I want the Ativ S, but i dont see it announced for ATT yet.  I was never opposed to the 920, but this is very tempting now.  i cant upgrade until christmas, so the chances of a wireless charging pad is very slim for me, but the $99 price tag is very very very good.  i may have to abandon my samsung dreams for this beauty.  in the end, i will win no matter what phone i get.
HTC looks good, but the 4.3" screen throws it off for me.

I'm salivating over the ATIV S too. I'm hoping T-Mobile gets it in December. But at&t just fired the first shot. Great deal on the 920.

ade333 says:

Lippidp, sorry "fetch" as used here is very common in the US.

laserfloyd says:

Fetch is used pretty often here.  Particularly in this part of the country (Georgia). :)

Are you really that clueless about the world?

ThePKReddy says:

Fetch is used quite a bit in the south :)

mpelti says:

Well, this changes things. Still apprehensive about WP8, but $99 is something I'd take a chance on.

Worst case scenario: I hate it, buy a nexus 4, sell the lumia (probably for $100+), and get a free Qi charger out of it.

Relief says:

You really have no clue of prices. The 920 is 600 dollars off-contract. That means you should be able to get atleast 400 dollars for that phone ;)

mpelti says:

$400 is $100+

Jojogill says:

WP8 rocks from what I can see in the videos and I'm sure when people get to play with it at AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile stores, they'll be surprised at how personal these devices can be.

cdbstl76 says:

What makes you apprehensive? Perhaps some of us could help address any question you have here or in the forums.

mpelti says:

everything?

The fact that after years on android, I still get frustrated by the number of apps that are iphone-only, or have more features on ios than android, or only come out on android after the hype is gone on iphone. Windows phone will be worse.

The lack of a notification center is annoying. The lack of video out is annoying. The lack of VPN is annoying.

Mostly it's just a matter of playing with it in store, to hopefully answer some smaller questions, but their are big questions with the wrong answer, or that will take months to answer.

lgorbena says:

I am totally with you! I just ordered an iPhone on my upgrade.... But I am on the phone cancelling that noise.  $299 vs $99, that is a NO BRAINER!  And, like you, if I end up not liking WP8, or the size of this BEAST, I will just go a head and get a Nexus 4.
Way to go AT&T and sway the tide!

Off contract price?

mpelti says:

probably $599

Frek says:

FInally!!!!
I was on the fence and was leaning towards the 8X, but the 920 is $100 cheaper. Now it's going to be hard to decide.

AlexanderJJJ says:

Any off-contract price announcements?

erichon99 says:

does anyone know again what Lumia 920  colors are available on AT&T?

Available in red, white, black, yellow and cyan, the Lumia 920 is available for pre-order beginning Nov. 7 at www.att.com/lumia920 for $99.99 with a two-year agreement.

Jojogill says:

NO FREAKING WAY! AT&T is getting really aggresive with this pricing.

tigermcm says:

am I the only one that feels bad for HTC?

ade333 says:

I like HTC and appreciate their effort to bring WP7 & 8 to people. They are getting beat up all over the place so this certainly hurts, but I don't know if I feel bad for them. Nokia is clearly pushing hard to get back on top and I have major respect for that initiative. The 8x has a very, very appealing design and that alone stands up to Nokia's exclusive apps and wireless charging. I don't think they come out the winner, but they'll do ok. Plus, some ppl will always buy the most expensive option because they believe it means it's better

I don't feel bad. The best they could do is tell us that their phone is a handful of pennies lighter than the 920. Meanwhile the 920 packs in the features and is $99 for FOURE TIMES the storage as the $99 8x.

That said, the 8x is on every carrier (in the states) that is taking on Windows Phone. They may enjoy better sales than Nokia on that merit alone. It IS the better phone (at launch) on Verizon and of course TMO.

"While supplies last"

Dammit. There definitely won't be any with charging plates left by the time I upgrade in January.

addicusbrown says:

Does this mean AT&T is no longer married to Apple and the Iphone?

No, they still are.
According to AT&T's own financial disclosures to Wall Street just recently, 3/4 of all smartphones sold on that carrier are iPhones.  (Similar numbers at Verizon, but more like 2/3 iPhone sales, final third Androids)
The final 1/4 is dominated currently by Samsung's Android devices, and Windows Phone currently shares a tiny sliver of that last quarter.

No, they still are.

JamesDax3 says:

smdh...

And us suckers on T-Mobile will be paying $99 AFTER at $50 MIR for the L810.

DAMN!

procen says:

I'm with you, and thinking to get the 920 at ATT because I have an account also and get my upgrade.

scbMobile says:

I wonder will the Microsoft store have them for the same price also with the charger.  I have a gift card or 2 that can make this almost free!!!

dharmababa says:

I'm wondering this as well. On the Windows weekly podcast, Mary Jo Foley said that Microsoft Stores will stock all colors so I'm holding out a *bit* of hope for a gray one :)

Dre325 says:

I'd be willing to bet that MSFT stores sell for the same price with the same free charging pad. They'd be stupid not to. I want a gray one too :-)

Jonah P says:

Do you know if these are actual Windows stores or the online? I'm really hoping it is online because I don't have one near me.

chriscookz says:

SO! FREAKIN! PUMPED!

If anyone takes the last black charger from my local store before I do I will NOT BE FRIENDS WITH THEM!

ThePKReddy says:

Will you be friends with me? I have no interest in the last black charger from your local store. Just the first one.

nwildcat says:

Shocked at the price. Wonder if this is what AT&T used to convince Nokia to go with an exclusive and hold off on the 922 on Verizon even longer than initial leaks suggested. Still not a good idea though, this will hurt inroads on Verizon I'd think, 822 sounded like a good deal but not if the 822 costs the same as the 920. I do think its a great overall plan by Nokia to grab new smartphone users who base their decisions mostly on price.
And HTC (or is it AT&T) - $100 for a 8G upgrade? That is egregious, worse than Apple. I think an 8G microSD is costing less than $10 these days. I'd pass on principle.

firewall2302 says:

Just as a note - I noticed the time index on the video screenshot on the coming soon page is 9:20.

Since 20-9=11 I wonder if they were trying to send us a message all along.  Maybe it's not JUST a reference to the 920 in Lumia 920....

Probably just a coincidence that they will launch on 11/9 though. :)

abailey535 says:

Goodbye Iphone 4, Hello Lumia 920........

abe3211 says:

Wow so how much is the tmo x8 ? $150 after rebate? kinda weak compared to ATT and Big Red no?

dhafiz says:

Anyone hear anything about the off-contract price? Any scoop on that from your sources, Daniel?

Probably $599 is a safe bet.

VinomX says:

AT&T's website says $450 off-contract.

T-rom09 says:

So the Lumia 920 weighs 185g and I just figured out my iphone 4 with case weighs 182. All of those "too heavy" comments about the 920=fail.

We'll cover that in our review (coming soon), but yeah...it's a big, heavy device but only relatively. In isolation, most people around us don't consider it "too heavy" for regular use.

nwildcat says:

Exactly. I don't know a single iPhone user, and I know a ton of them, who doesn't carry their phone in a case. Even the lightest cases weigh a few ounces and that puts the weight at or above the 920. The weight argument was always ridiculous to me for just this reason.

aimuatrang says:

Yeah, what is the point of Iphone being so thin if everyone has to use a case on it?

NeoJames says:

When does At&t ususally start to pre-order? mid-night ET? or Later?
I can't wati!!!
I believe it will be sold out every quickly!!!

Adiliyo says:

Nokias us Facebook page said 12am EST, so 9pm PST. I can't wait!

Now to decide, white or cyan...

monigal2 says:

Woow! I might get that 920..

Sobr0801 says:

I can either upgrade in march on Verizon or switch to ATT in July. Decisions ahead.

ade333 says:

By then the surface phone will likely be out

111san says:

And probably the lumia successors also

laserfloyd says:

Ok, ATT, I forgive you.  That's a sweet, sweet deal.  I'll be picking mine up this week thank you very much. :)

FUS3360 says:

Hell yes.. preordering for sure!!!!!!!!!!  This may be what nokia needs.

monigal2 says:

That's just amazing. I pray Nokia has much success..

dshort2007 says:

Just spoke with Best Buy support as I was one of those who "pre-ordered" the phone when it was up there...they said that they are not going to match the $99 price for the Lumia 920 from AT&T...that's upsetting.

Pages