AT&T's Lumia 1520 is now getting the Windows Phone 8.1 update

Strong subscriber growth powers AT&T's Q2 2014 earnings

AT&T may rollout Windows Phone 8.1 update 'as early as this week'

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

HTC 8X for Verizon picks up small update, no Windows Phone 8.1 yet

AT&T Nokia Lumia 635 arrives on July 25 for $99 as prepaid GoPhone

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

AT&T Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 coming November 9th for $49 and $99

It’s official. AT&T has just announced the date and pricing for the Nokia Lumia 820, Lumia 920 and the HTC 8X as well and by our estimates, AT&T is getting very aggressive with pricing here.

The Nokia Lumia 920 will be available this Friday, November 9th for just $99—a full $50 less than what Best Buy was pricing the device at just a week ago. In addition, AT&T will be offering a free wireless charging plate with each purchase of the Lumia 920 while supplies last. Windows Phone Central accurately brough you that news a few days ago. Preorders start tomorrow, November 7th.

The Nokia Lumia 820 will fetch for just $49, also available on Friday, November 9th with preorders also beginning tomorrow.

The HTC 8X will surprisingly come later in the month, before Thanksgiving but with no firm release date yet set. That device will command a higher price tag for $199 for the 16GB version and just $99 for the 8GB option, which will also be available California Blue and Limelight (yellow).

There is little doubt in our mind that AT&T is making the Lumia 920 the best option with heavy subsidies. Coming in with 32GB of memory, the Lumia 920 is significantly cheaper than the same offering of the iPhone 5 with comparable memory ($299).  Throw in a free wireless charging pad and for $99, users are getting a very good bargain for what is arguably one of the most powerful devices on the market today.

Full presser below...

Windows Phone 8 smartphones arrive at AT&T Nov. 9; pre-orders begin Nov. 7

Special AT&T Promo Offers Free Wireless Charging Plate With Purchase of a Nokia Lumia 920

DALLAS, Nov.6, 2012 – AT&T* announced today the availability of three new smartphones in its growing Windows® Phone 8 portfolio.  Beginning Nov. 9, AT&T customers will be able to purchase the Nokia Lumia 920 for $99.99 and the Nokia Lumia 820 for $49.99.  Before Thanksgiving, customers can pick-up the Windows Phone® 8X by HTC® with 16 GB of memory for $199.99.  Additionally, AT&T revealed an exclusive version of the Windows Phone 8X by HTC with 8 GB of memory in California Blue and Limelight (yellow) for $99.99.  AT&T is only carrier to offer this device in Limelight.

Starting Nov.7, the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will be available for pre-order at www.att.com/lumia920 and www.att.com/lumia820, respectively.  The unrivaled leader in Windows Phones, AT&T has sold more Windows Phones than any other carrier.

Nokia Lumia 920

The Nokia Lumia 920 includes the latest advances in Nokia PureView imaging innovation. The 8.7-megapixel camera features advanced floating lens technology, dubbed ‘optical image stabilization’ which helps eliminate blur by compensating for hand movement while photos or videos are being shot.  The camera in Nokia Lumia 920 can take in five times more light than typical smartphones to capture top quality photos and videos in low light.

In addition to its 2000mAh battery – the largest battery Nokia has put in a smartphone – the Lumia 920 includes built-in wireless charging capabilities** for an easy, convenient way to get more out of every day.  For a limited time and while supplies last, AT&T will also include a wireless charging plate – free of charge – with each purchase of a Lumia 920.

The Lumia 920’s 4.5-inch PureMotion HD+ ClearBlack display is protected by Corning® Gorilla® Glass and is optimized for readability in the brightest light conditions, even outdoors on a bright day.  In addition to its durable, scratch-resistant, curved display, the Lumia 920 also has a new sensitive touchscreen that lets you type with fingernails or while wearing gloves.

Available in red, white, black, yellow and cyan, the Lumia 920 is available for pre-order beginning Nov. 7 at www.att.com/lumia920 for $99.99 with a two-year agreement.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia920.  A look at the Lumia 920’s features in action is available in this video.

Nokia Lumia 820

The Nokia Lumia 820 is a snappy, mid-range smartphone that delivers high-end performance in a compact package. It features the same unibody look and feel as high-end Lumia smartphones – including a ClearBlack display and new sensitive touchscreen – in an attractive design that supports exchangeable shells. These exchangeable shells, which are sold separately, are available in range of colors and features, including wireless charging.

The Lumia 820 offers the same exclusive content as the Lumia 920, including Nokia Drive, a turn-by-turn voice navigation solution, Nokia Music, a free music streaming service and Nokia City Lens, an augmented reality application that uses the phone’s camera viewfinder to provide information about points of interests in the surrounding area.

The Nokia Lumia 820 comes in black and is available for pre-orders beginning Nov.7 at www.att.com/lumia820 for $49.99 with a two-year agreement.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/lumia820.

Windows Phone 8X by HTC

The Windows Phone 8X by HTC boasts a pure unibody design perfectly sculpted with a dramatic taper that feels thin in your hand and its stunning 4.3-inch 720p HD display (1280 x 720 pixels) brings photos, video and Web pages to life.

The 2.1-megapixel, 88 degree, ultra-wide front-facing camera is able to capture self-portraits of you and the faces of up to four friends all at once. The 8-megapixel rear-facing camera with an f/2.0 aperture allows you to capture great photos and videos – even in low light. As the first-ever Windows Phone 8 smartphone with built-in Beats Audio™ technology, this device gives users authentic, studio-quality sound.  The device has a unique audio amplifier that powers the 3.5mm audio jack and speaker to provide improved sound for music, video and even gaming.

The Windows Phone 8X by HTC will be available in two models – California Blue with 16 GB of memory for $199.99 and an AT&T exclusive in California Blue or Limelight (yellow) with 8GB of memory for $99.99.

For more information, please visit www.att.com/8xbyhtc.

For the 2012 holiday shopping season, AT&T will be the only U.S. carrier to offer new Windows 8 tablets to their customers.  Samsung ATIV smart PC offers customers the blend of PC capability with the convenient tablet form factor.  Beginning Nov. 9, the ATIV smart PC will be available in AT&T company-owned retail stores nationwide and online at www.wireless.att.com

AT&T customers have access to the nation’s largest 4G network***, covering 285 million people. AT&T has two 4G networks that work together for customers, LTE and HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. That means AT&T customers are able to enjoy a widespread, ultra-fast and consistent 4G experience on their compatible device as they move in and out of LTE areas. With smartphones on other carriers’ networks, when you travel outside of their LTE coverage area, you may be on a much slower 3G network.

*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.

**Wireless charging accessories sold separately.

***4G speeds not available everywhere. Limited 4G LTE availability in select markets. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. Learn more at att.com/network.

The names of companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Comments

Rodhouse says:

We're you able to cancel your order or are you keeping it? The website says it can't cancel once order is in process.

snakecharmr says:

I just spoke with them and they will price match after you recieve the phone. They can not do any price matching until you recieve it. If you are not satisified at that point you can return it for a full refund.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of going for Best Buy because I can use some of my Best Buy rewards, but with them not matching price and messing up pre-orders the will not be getting my money. ATT here I come!

snakecharmr says:

They don't have pricing yet on the phone. But they said if ATT just annouced it is 99 then their price will be 99. Existing preorders order at 149.99 won't be changed. They do't go back and change pricing on orders. We have to call and tell them of the change once it is up on their site or we recieve our phone.

jmshub says:

Finally!  I will be picking one of these up at my local AT&T store this Friday!

Nelman says:

I just called 611 and spoke with a rep who looked it up for me. He said November 11th. I think they traditionally launch new phones on Sundays.

I called yesterday night and I didn't get any info from the rep I talked to. Should I call later today and ask?

dameon_03 says:

will be buying one of these as soon as possible. i will try to get one this weekend while i am visiting my folks in md. if not, ill get one when i get back home. hope i can snag a charger pad as well

zaidthunder1 says:

Insane. Wish it was like that in other countries.

Yeah, but on the flip side, other countries don't bend you over with calling/data plans. We may pay less up front in the US, but we're throroughly frakked over in the long haul.

drunken scholar is right

LCarnegie11 says:

Not a fan of Nokia, but HTC comin out later and only offering CalI Blue and Limelight Yellow is sort of a turn off.. Smh such bad news for people whos been waiting so long for good news!.. At&t HAS to do better..

man1up says:

My friend loved the look of 8x. But Im sure she will be just fine with a red 920. Im grabbing Cyan. Wonder if all colors will be stocked...

jake69 says:

Oh look....it just happened I'm off this Friday....what a coincidence. ;-)

Bushybro says:

Its hilarious, there are guys over on Engadget trying to talk folks out of getting a WP device. I mean they are putting some serious troll energy into it. WP must be doing something right for them to care that much.

Bernard Wei says:

Wow! We never get these crazy deals in Canada. Envy...

MikadoWu says:

GOOD BYE SPRINT.
OK ATT Here I Come.... Please do not let me down.

I need 2 Cyan, 1 Red, 1 Yeloow and 1 Black.......... 920 Baby....

Stadifer says:

That might actually be the total stock for any one store!

aimuatrang says:

If you get that many at one time, negotiate. Might get better deal... Just saying

daknarr says:

I just don't want people to think that the price suggests a compromise in quality. People expect to pay more for better products, and despite only $99 for the 920, it IS one of the best devices on the market if not THE best (HTC 8X makes a strong argument for that title).

NOKIA AT&T AND MICROSOFT THIS IS THE LIFE :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Gittles says:

Question: Can I pay the early penalty on the contract I signed in April for the Lumia 900, and then sign up for a new contract to pay the $100 price?

Jazmac says:

lol. Probably. lol

Shobiz says:

I want to know this as well.

gtbuzz says:

Nope. I tried to do the same thing in April for my L900 when I had 6 mos left on my contract for my Focus. The only way to get out of the contract (and paying the ETF) is to close your account (either by just closing it or moving your number to another carrier). Kind of silly if you ask me, but when has AT&T ever done stuff that made sense?

jonesyvoor says:

Can't you jsut get a new 2nd line at the $99 price and then cancel your current line in a day or two and port your number over to the new phone at that time? I don't see how they can force you to keep both lines at that point.

Everybody see that DALLAS ANNOUNCED :D

haganistic says:

There are so many Dallas people on here! I may organize a happy hour on friday in the uptown area for people who want to come with their fancy new nokia 920s.
But seriously, I feel like Dallas is way over-represented on this fan site!

daknarr says:

Wait, really? Does Fort Worth count? Lol!

haganistic says:

It does in my books! I'm putting together a happy hour on friday for anyone that wants to come and show off their new  nokia 920. I also realized that ATT has their headquarters here and I saw a huge NOKIA buidling in Irving,... gonna just send an invite to those employees too - probably won't get anyone - but we'll see!
Look out for the Dallas Nokia 920 Happy Hour thread!

ThePKReddy says:

Where is this thread? I moved to Addison from Cali 2 months ago... Im down for HH

Panu16 says:

Will yellow and blue be available in store?  Previous report said that those colors were online only.

tibbyx says:

I have an early upgrade, what do you guys think the price will be?

dameon_03 says:

upon further thinking, man these are some nice deals on these phones considering what you are getting and the specs on both phones for att users. I wonder what the pricepoint for the Ativ is going to be?

LaNiQuE says:

Yall can stop crying on here now well for today anyways

monigal2 says:

Jojogill, let me get that HTC 8x from u, ask them for a red one, lol!

Jazmac says:

99?? Not bad.  I wonder what Amazon is going to do.  Worth waiting a couple months to find out

Stadifer says:

$199 for the HTC 8X??? That just blew my mind! That price point is ridiculous for a phone that is largely inferior in almost every way vs. the Lumia 920.
I guess the HTC 8X is the "Hero" phone for Windows Phone.

arzoo says:

My family has two Samsung Focus's, one Focus 2, and 1 HTC Titan. All were purchased at separate times and we paid a penny for each. I guarantee AT&T or Amazon will be selling the 920 for a penny on Black Friday or some time before the Christmas holiday. That being said - I can't want and will be pre-ordering tomorrow!

Stadifer says:

I'll be going to the local AT&T store... I was on the AT&T Wireless site to see if it would actually be delivered on 11/9 and they said it ships in 2-3 days and if that is ground it would be darn near a week to week and a half before I got the bugger.

cdbstl76 says:

Guarantee?! Wow.

Ebaneeezor says:

My store in Orlando fl said they would take the preorder now, but the phone would be shipped to my home. I'm picking it up in store Friday.

esarz says:

I wonder if we really will be able to order this at midnight

guillams says:

im freaking jealous!
Here in Dominican Republicc we have to wait one year and a half for get one on our company for already USD$200 with higher month contract! EBay, is our only salvation!

apoelin says:

Hey Daniel,
There was a rumor some time ago, that the Cyan and Yellow will only be available online. Do you have any info about that? I am just trying to figure out what is the fastest way to get a Cyan Lumia 920. It seems pre-ordering on Nov 7, will not get the device delivered by Nov 9.

No word, sorry.

Any word on Microsoft Stores availability?  Will they have all of the colors and the same deal on Friday as well?  Thanks!

pike1783 says:

The AT&T store rep I talked today said Cyan and Yellow would have to be ordered online. Makes me lean more towards black since I can't judge the cyan color/look without using the old Lumia for reference.

DEV55 says:

Can't stick with NOK as an investor anymore!
Cramming more hardware than both Iphone and GS3 and yet not able to sell as many. Ultimately giving freebies!
Just bad business for Nokia!

Hm, I have to question your knowledge of business. Nokia isn't eating all the cost here, it's AT&T and them in a joint deal to share the costs in order to offer a lower price point.

It's a subsidy in return for giving the device exclusive to the carrier. And it is exactly what investors have asked--that is after all, how you are competitive.

You can't have it both ways: super high cost and be competitive at the same time.

DEV55 says:

The 100$ discount you see with this device will amount to only 5% of the entire cost an average cutomer will put up throught the 2yr life of the device assuming he/she pays at least 80$ for phone+data. That said, competing with a cheaper price point(like this one) is not a great strategy.
Had this phone be designed better. I mean, like a phone and not a dumb-bell, that would have been a better way to compete. Look at HTC for example...

aubreyq says:

"Look at HTC"? Did you hear about their latest financial report???

DEV55 says:

Really? What about Nokia's?

cdbstl76 says:

I think I learned something similar in my first week of Econ 101 back in the day...

cdbstl76 says:

I think I learned something similar in Econ 101 back in the day...

Stadifer says:

It's AT&T that is going to get killed here... At the end of the day it is a win for Windows Phone and Nokia! You build loyal customers with things like this. If the hardware and OS is as good as they say these price points and freebies tip the scales for many people sitting on the fence. You get those "maybes" to buy in to the product and as long as the product delivers you now have yourself a new customer.

DEV55 says:

It would have been nicer if Nokia could keep this extra money to themselves. They just can't afford to do that because of how bulky L920 is and how badly it may be received.

Stadifer says:

Once again... AT&T is taking the loss not Nokia. Nokia sells AT&T the phones at likely a discount but still close to full price. AT&T is the one taking the risk of such a low price and free chargers.

DEV255 says:

Look at the reduction of the off-contract price. Do you still think Nokia is not taking a hit?

ymcpa says:

I don't think they will get killed. I think the subsidy for the 920 is still lower than for an Iphone. They are hoping people will switch from the iphone. I wonder what the subsidy for the Galaxy SIII is.

phasar says:

Almost no one has heard of the L920, the chances of someone going into an at&t store and inquiring about Wp8 are slim and none.That's what makes this whole launch so disappointing. Apple and Google must be ROTFL at Microsoft right about now! The way Microsoft and Nokia have introduced WP8 would make a good Saturday Night Live sketch.

Gken says:

Can't lose money if you are locked into a contract that makes them upwards of 2000 dollars in those 2 years.  Even if the phone cost them 600 bucks, plus the charger (which I think is actually from NOKIA, promotional wise), they still makes 1400+ bucks off you.  And even if you cancel again fees will kill you.  Don't see the risk here, the mobile phone market

Dethzilla says:

I used to work for a Beer Distributor... Those that bought more beer got a deeper discount and could price their beer lower than competitors.  It's the same deal here.  Anhueser Busch stock continued to rise despite the lower prices offered by the bigger stores.

mikewp says:

You sound like a worried short. Sucks to be you.
Nokia gets it (and I suspect MS is helping out here) . They are going hard in the U.S. to get some critical mass built. More phones sold = more people in the ecosystem = more apps = more phones sold = more people in the ecosystemt, etc, etc..
I paid full price for an 800 to see if I would like the ecosystem (I already knew I was going to like the physical phone). Never really been an early adopter before, but I have been lately. When Nokia comes out with a tablet, I'll be in line. My PS3 will do duty until MS comes out with their next Xbox. Great ecosystem that makes me happy to be a part of.

maxroper21 says:

Hooray from the UK!

maxroper21 says:

Love this phone!

wpultimate says:

Arguably the best phone for such price...every resident in U.S should buy this..for starters especially, this is THE ONLY SMARTPHONE YOU SHOULD GET THIS HOLIDAY SEASON..

nileshdd says:

Been trying to find this out since some time now on WPCentral.
Is off-contract the same as unlocked?
Even 600$ may not be a bad option for me, given that it will release for more here in India!

moc426 says:

Off-contract is NOT unlocked. You won't be able to use it outside AT&T, it is exclusive to AT&T. The phone is locked.

mammaldood says:

...but you can use it on Straight Talk!

moc426 says:

Sure, if he moves to the US. :)

pcarrero says:

Will it work on Straight Talk and be able to use HSPA+?

Is this confirmed? Will AT&T REFUSE to unlcok the phone for you? I ask because they will immediately unlock and unsubsidized/off contract iPhone for you. I don't see why their policy would be any different with this device.

apoelin says:

Sorry, off-contract is still locked to AT&T. The situation with the 900 was that off-contract from Rogers in Canada could be unlocked easily, but off-contract on AT&T was impossible to unlock until 6 months later. My advice is to keep an eye on the websites offering unlock codes, and only buy a device after the codes for a specific carrier become available.

nileshdd says:

Thanks all. That is really sad news for me. No cyan :(. Back to looking for news about it in India. For the rest of us in USA, enjoy!:)

inteller says:

These are ETF abusing prices.  Get phone at $99...re-up contract and keep it for a month.  Go to straight talk, pay the $315 or whatever ETF, 920 free and clear for $425....

mammaldood says:

Can this really be so easy? I'm strongly considering this but it seems too good to be true...

ThePKReddy says:

The question here is do you have to keep the service for a month to keep the device??

Actually cheaper with no commitment phone since there is a 37 activation fee.

danzinho16 says:

Why is the 810 $100 for T-Mobile if the 920 is $100 too?

JamesDax3 says:

T-Mobile has always sold their phones at a higher cost. Sucks.

Disclaimer: Long time lurker - 1st time poster.
If you look at the overall cost i.e. cost of the subsidized handset + per month data plan, you can see that AT&T recovers more money from customers by charging higher data plans than T-Mobile does. As both carriers will pay the same price for the device (more or less), T-Mobile has to charge higher to make the same kind of money AT&T does.

moc426 says:

What time does pre-order pricing normally start for at&t. Can I place an order at midnight?

explorador75 says:

my question is if i go to the store can i get the nokia lumia 920 in cyan color?

ninnghizzida says:

I am not eligible as I got my 900 on release day. If Nokia were to announce a special deal for 900 owners although I doubt it since we got the 900 for free.

dbgman says:

My wife is in the same boat. Hopefully, they offer some sort of upgrade deal for 900 owners. That would make things better.

ninnghizzida says:

Definitely.  Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Landsharkk says:

Ebay!

A used lumia 900 is easily going for $200 on ebay right now. Use that money to help pay for the ETF/New phone.
Also, call AT&T and tell them you want to get the new WP8 phone.  I got my ETF fee waived by the sales rep on the phone.

WinFan1 says:

i think i just soiled myself :(

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 920 on contract and then cancel my contract immediately and keep the phone, rather than buying it outright since that would be a little more hassle free (and cheaper than paying $600).  Then I'll sell my 900 for $200 bucks (hopefully, seeing somone already offered $150 for mine)....

I concur! Will sell both of my white S00's! LOL!!!

mammaldood says:

Why do I feel like AT&T has measures in place to prevent things like this... are there examples of people who have done this (and kept their number)?

Landsharkk says:

I wonder if you could just sign up for a new contract with a new number, cancel and pay the ETF, sell the Lumia 920 on ebay for a $100 to $200 profit, turn around and do the whole thing over again if you want.

Dethzilla says:

I'm not going to lie... I was going to buy the 920 anyway...
But this... This is just too good to be true.  I will have my dream phone... and the friggen free Charger too!

HEARTED!!!!

Planblover08 says:

Wish I would of waited. My lumia 900 isn't due for an upgrade till next year

Stadifer says:

All is not lost... It seems likely that Microsoft will have a Surface phone out. I'm sure the WP8 eco system will have a phone even more bad ass than the Lumia 920 and we will all hate our selves for jumping on the Lumia 920 deal. ;)

ThePKReddy says:

I doubt it'll be better than 920 unless Nokia has their hands in it. Pureview ftw

I've got the biggest phone boner right now.

mmali386 says:

lol to all the people who preordered from Best Buy

WinFan1 says:

actually cancelled my preorder last night :P

mmali386 says:

Good timing... might start seeing Best Buy sending them out early just in case people are reading this news.

Rodhouse says:

Really? As of right now I know there's a Cyan 920 with my name on it. What do you have?

Odog4ever says:

Best buy is price matching (even with the free charge pad) So who is laughing now??

WinFan1 says:

i can just preorder again lol

leo74 says:

Sweet! If this is the case, I get my Lumia 920 including charge pad for free :) Now I just need to get that confirmed...

Trocien says:

Agreed.  Any confirmation of this from Best Buy?

Generalguy41 says:

Any way I could get the phone unlocked and use it in Canada on telus? Rogers only has black and I want red... Not switching to Rogers either!

sud123 says:

In for 5....

rocky 710 says:

Well that's an awesome strategy and terrific marketing by Nokia with att exclusive 920 I jealous US still no word about the release date in India comon nokia bring on the 920 and take by money

garak0410 says:

I pre-ordered on Best Buy for the off contract price. Any word on when they will be shipped?

ricardios says:

Holy crap. So looks like at&t will be paying Nokia $$$ subsidies!

cp2_4eva says:

Is the difference in the before and after price THAT much of a game changer?  Apparently so. I'm still leaning towards either HTC or Samsung. I have a big screen everything at home. In my pocket I'll accept a smaller thinner phone. No one is taking national geographic pics with a camera phone, I have a Nikon for that. Storage, meh I don't need to carry whole music and photo library on my phone. I have a drop box for that as well. Plus I think with all the Nokia jock riders, you guys made me a bit anti Nokia. You guys are almost as bad as iSheep, but to the brethren of the same OS. Serious "mine is better than yours" complexes. lol. In any case, hooray for WINDOWS PHONE 8 in general. I hope this time they get it right and start gaining more headway on the competition.

garak0410 says:

I am going with the black 920 but sort of want the ATIV because of expandable storage. I will be replacing my 64GB ZuneHD. Wish the 920 came with a 64GB choice...

TonyDedrick says:

That's my only hang up with this phone..lack of expandable storage. That's why I wish the ATIV was announced for the US already. While I am not against cloud based storage, it just isn't an option for me considering I don't have unlimited data and I am not always around a wifi signal. And I just like having my music (and media) physically on my device

cp2_4eva says:

I owned a GS3 and it was Ok to the touch. Think too, but not as frail as people may think. I didn't like the hard home button though or touchwiz. Now, with Windows phone 8 on it, that is a nice phone I'd assume. You have alot of screen real estate, but it is still thin in your pocket. I used to be against the thinness of it, but it grew on me a bit. The back of it is where I had the issues, but a case solves that. I hope for the users sake, the microSD slot functions like it should.

I'll still be using my 32gb Zune HD with my Lumia 920, wish I had the 64gb one. Good to know someone else has a Zune besides me lol

dalydose says:

I've still got the original Zune 30 :D

ThePKReddy says:

Good for you. Now move along. I have a Nikon SLR. It doesn't fit in my pocket. I have a point and shoot canon and an iPod. Im not going to fit all these and a phone in my pocket. People have their reasons for their choices based on personal use cases. No need to rain in on the Nokia parade. I have a heavy HD7. Can't wait to rid of it. Beyond shit camera and call quality.

baseballbert says:

I feel the same way. Too much 920 jock riding, makes me want 8X that much more. On that note, just spoke to att store locally, and they said Pre order on 9th in store for phones. My guess is they got the info wrong.

duoFurious says:

Awwwwwww yeah booooooyyyy

sdreamer says:

Wish ATT would do something for Lumia 900 and Titan II users in respect to upgrade pricing. I wouldn't mind paying 150-200$ instead.

mepolsen says:

Time to go get my ETF from Sprint and make a decision to pull the trigger on a 920.

dbgman says:

Awesome!
Any word on accessories at the launch? Maybe package deals? I want the wireless charging stand.

czhoume says:

Great News!
Did they mention when will I receive it if I preorder it? Will the preorder come with the free charging pad in box too? Oh, just can't wait!!!

Any word on Microsoft Stores availability?  Will they have all of the colors and the same deal as AT&T?  And will they have them on Friday?  I REALLY want the grey 920.  Thanks.

arzoo says:

no gray for AT&T :(

n3rfh3rd3r says:

My wife just told me to add a line to our account and get the new Lumia 920 and give my daughter my Lumia 900.  This coming from my wife who did not want to give our daughter a smartphone.
Oh my word I'm about to fall over in my chair.  I might be rocking a Lumia 920 within a week.

You could just add a line, and then put your daughter's dumb phone (assuming she has one already) back on it and not pay the data package. ;)

As excited as I am for an actual OFFICIAL date, I am pretty bummed too. This launch was botched... royally. To start, Microsoft announced all these new upcoming phones with no hint of release dates over two months ago. Then they give us an official launch of WP8 and still nothing. Now, a piddly four days before the phone hits the market, AT&T has given us a release date. These companies seem to take a lot of tips from what Apple does right except marketing (and that is what Apple does best). There is a reason Apple doesn't leave it up to the carriers, and this is it. As far as I am concerned, the only the AT&T has done right is the $99 price tag (with the 920). The 900 US launch proved that that wasn't even enough to sell the phone though.

Odog4ever says:

Apple carries all the weight over carriers, that's the exception not the rule. Maybe Samsung could strong-arm too but they don't see a need too. Every other OEM has to bend over for the carriers.

RoyalAdonis says:

Just read that AT&T are also getting the 8X "exclusively" in Blue and Lime, while Verizon gets the Black and Red "exclusively" too smh....and T-Mobile ONLY gets the blue, sigh..

mrdeezus says:

Im on the west coast what time is the earliest i could preorder and where? in store or online?

Ethere says:

Please....Nokia. TAKE MY MONEY!

AMERICANRAJ says:

word! I can't wait to go to at&t or the new ms store and undecided if i want to get another cyan 920 or yellow or white or black. lol

cowboy620 says:

That's an awesome price for the 920 but I've heard to many bad things about at&t to switch I think I'll stay with Verizon and hope in 6 months they will pick up the 920.
I'll take the 822 for now upgadeable to wireless charging and holds up to a 32 GB sb card.
Verizon is supposed be releasing 822 on Thursday.

Not trying to sway you either way (in fact if you are happy with Verizon, stick with them) but we are a split family between VZW and AT&T (work related) and they both have their problems. I couldn't say one is glaring better or worse (consistently) at any one thing or the other. My recommendation is to base it on the service (reception) you have in areas you frequent. We drive cross country at least twice a year, and I would say Verizon has reception slightly more often than AT&T does. Often times where VZW has nothing, AT&T does, so road trips work out very well as we are almost never without service.

Landsharkk says:

The price doesn't surprise me at all, I had always expected it to be very aggressive pricing.  Nokia (and Windows Phone in general) doesn't have the luxury of pricing their phones at the same level of Anroid and iPhone.  With only about 4% of the market Windows Phone NEEDS to be priced very aggressively to get noticed.
What did surprise me was the free charging pad.

rtotheich says:

USA, USA
I've been opening up the site a few times a day waiting for this news :D I'll be one of the first on the preorder list. Yahoooooooo

letunaman says:

I preordered from Best Buy back in October when it showed up for that one day. Just called and they said they do not price match carriers. I was able to cancel my order over the phone, though. They were very nice about it.

Here is a slightly off topic question. Amazon has some inductive charging plates on the market for ULTRA cheap. Is there any reason why those would NOT work for this? They aren't as sexy as Nokia's offering, but they are cheap enough that I'd put a couple in some less conspicuous places around the house as well as near my computer at work.

TMavC5 says:

Doing the shuffle dance with.....

so are they going to offer an upgrade opportunity to those of us who bought the 900 when it came out before they announced new phones and that the 900's wouldn't be fully upgradable and be out of date 7 months later? they do it for iphones and those things only up the hardware specs a little bit each time.

mikewp says:

Wow... the Droid and iPhone natives are going nuts over at Engadget and The Verge after both other their unenthusiastic release of the news... They've been whining for quite a while over an official AT&T release date and pricing, so their response is... ok... unsurprising :-)
Good news for deal seekers and folks sitting on the fence. I would have paid 200 for the lumia on contract.

ExcaliburII says:

well have my 900 up for sale now, head down to the US and pick up a nice red one on Saturday, unlock and show everyone in Canada what quality phone looks like;)

jcagga says:

Wtf... 8x on Verizon is $199 isn't it?

whatup12 says:

hi all,

do we know what bands will be "shut down" with the ATT 920?
thanks!
stefan

mcraine says:

I'm looking to get the 920 ASAP. Any suggestions on the best way to proceed?  Should I go into an AT&T store when they open on Friday or try to do the pre-order on the 7th?  If I do the pre-order, does anyone know when this opens up?  Midnight tonight or sometime tomorrow?  I'm going to stop by an AT&T Store later this morning and see if they have any info.  I'll post what I find out.

Stadifer says:

9PM Pacific / 12 Eastern for online pre-orders. Otherwise be at your closest AT&T Wireless store or authorized dealer to pick up the goods on the 9th.

Listen97 says:

Was already going to pick one up, this just seals the deal.

fatrat727 says:

It's all good. We just got our window signage for the 8x here at Verizon!!! Release should not be far off!

Rican_One says:

Freaking cool. That's great news!!!! Damn im so excited. Wooooo!!!!

andrijankara says:

How much costs iphone5 on same contract conditions at att ? Is it 299$ for 32gb device or i am wrong?

Ebaneeezor says:

You are correct

andrijankara says:

Then farewell iOS and android this is going to be huge! Pitty i am from Bosnia and Hercegovina and my provider havent even announced new lumias nor even had wp7 in their offer to costumers

WP7WasMyIdea says:

Interesting prices. Seems like they want to grab the attention of non att customers. Like me! Not only do they have an exclusive (for now) phone. But the pricing is incredible. I'm with Verizon. Not in a contract right now. Is all that at&t is doing enough to make me switch? Not in ANY way. You can give me a $49 lumia 920. As long as its with at&t.. No thanks. Now once the 9xx comes to VZW, I'll have a hard choice. Love the look and size of the 8x. Love nokias apps. Hmms...

So the 920 will be $99 with a free wireless charging pad and the 810 from T-Mobile will be $99 after a $50 mail-in rebate and lower specs?!

Dipo04 says:

Hi Daniel,
I live in the Uk and am desperate to get my hands on an off contract (not carier locked) Lumia 920 (in grey, preferrably). Any hope for me? I need it like yesterday! lol.

flrnsp says:

the HTC 8X is already available in Germany. for example here at amazon for 554.99€.

easyejl says:

So any idea if the stores will have limited stock? I need 3, a cyan, a red and a yello

ejlee072006 says:

Wtf is wrong with HTC???
They should've learned from the titans ..im hoping to get an early upgrade fee

eyeban says:

For those who dont have an upgrade  Add a line. Drop the old, say you lost the phone. Thats the only way i can think off you getting a l920. You will be paying an extra $10 amonth till you can cancel your old contract. However long that may be.

ejlee072006 says:

Can explain that clearly??

eyeban says:

go to att and add a line(lumia 920). add a line is only $10 a month plus data, mms , etc. now wait a couple of days and tell them you lost your l900. and you dont have a replacement phone at the moment. theyll bring that line (l900) you back down to $10 a month.  sell  your (L900) that will offset the remainder months youll be paying. till you can get the full upgrade. assuming you sell it for $100 and you have 10mo left on your contract. by then your ready for an upgrade and could be buying the new surface phone or the L920 replacement.
im sorry. i suck at explaining

Gken says:

hmm that is really clever then you get the new phone for like 200$ after the 10 months are up.  I see what you did there.  Assuming at&t doesnt already know about that tactic.

eyeban says:

i actually did that. i added a line to buy an iphone 4 for my cousin. about 3 weeks later i called it in and said i had lost one of my phones. if they could suspend the line for the meantime till i find a replacement . got one of my friends old ass phone went to att and ask for a sim card. and since its not a smartphone, im only getting charge $10 a month. wich my cousin gives me. that was 2 years ago and its now due for an upgrade =)

i dont think att can do anythying about a missing phone. they cant charge you for data you dont use

gavlop says:

this just makes me angry in indescribable ways to be a verizon customer

Jaymil says:

My body is ready.

WP7WasMyIdea says:

Nintendo reference ftw..  Nice!

ryan_linz says:

Does anyone know if we get to choose the color of the charging pad and if, in fact, that is available if one preorders?

scdkad says:

Even though I'm not eligible for an upgrade and love my L900 I'm going to my ATT store this weekend to fondle this thing!

slsterling says:

A few have asked how to buy the 920 from Microsoft stores at this price and if Microsoft will carry the grey model. So now I'm asking again, too! If anyone has word, please report.

I've been asking the same thing.  No one seems to know,  I too want a grey one!

arzoo says:

AT&T will not carry gray :(

wp8nyc says:

Asked my local ATT twice today and both times they said they will have yellow and grey only on Friday... Lets see.

Off Friday will be there waiting on them to open:-)

sinistar25 says:

Very nice...a flagship WP8 32GB phone for $100. I was actually thinking about ordering a Nexus 4 on the 13th if I didn't hear anything from AT&T soon. Giving that this is $100, has LTE, and more importanly(IMO) has 32GB storage vs 16GB, I may pick this up on friday and deal with the 2 year agreement.

phasar says:

Its sad that they did such a terrible job promoting and launching wp8(a great product )that they almost have to give them away to make them seem relevent!

dabs1710 says:

Is there any news about early upgrades for people who are stuck with Lumia 900's and such phones? The early adopters!

Bushybro says:

It would be cool if lumia adopters could get and early upgrade from the 900.  I'm willing to wait but that would be awesome if I could go in there on friday and get the 920 and just renew for another 2 years.  If I end up waiting then it'll be surface phone all the way.  Can dream though

FUS3360 says:

SO If I preorder the 920 tomorrow I wont actually receive the phone till Monday since the AT&T rep told me that i will recive the device two business days after the official release which is the 9th..  ??

FUS3360 says:

czhoume says:

Then what's the point of pre-ordering... Can someone comfirm the delivery date? Don't really want to go to the store on weekday.

FUS3360 says:

Thats exaclty what I thought...  if that is the case, I'll just go to my local At&t store and pick one up there..  you never know tho.  Sometimes the Reps don't really know what they are talking about..

So excited! I just may pay full price to upgrade from 900 to 920!

Around what time does At&T usually allow people to start pre-ordering?

jmajid says:

what a great price - and too funny listening to the detractors that were saying last night that this COU:DNT be the price- well it is the price. I want to see backflips now, "bud" ;-)

czhoume says:

Does Lumia 920 have any similar function like Siri on iOS? I really like adding calender or reminder via Siri. (Google voice search is only able to search right? and it's not available on wp8 I think)

Dre325 says:

You can hold down the Windows button to give voice commands on WP7.5 to open apps, find the weather, search the web, find restaurants, call or text contacts, etc. It works pretty well and works with my Bluetooth headset. It's not integrated with the calendar and unfortunately I'm not sure if this is a feature of WP8 so someone else will have to answer that specifically.

Yes, WP has the same voice recognition features as 7.5 and does probably a few more things. But I never use it, but is there.

KarateDad says:

You can try out AskZiggy, it is an App on Wp7 that does a lot of voice commands like SIRI (but not quite as good).  I'm not 100% positive it is on WP8, but i'm sure it will be.

Gken says:

You know doesn anyone remember when At&t was super pro-nokia back in the day when they were dominating the mobile market.  I haven't read all the comments yet but I thought the pricing was insanely aggressive, even from a fanboy point of view.  Perhaps they have some kind of relationship NOKIA and At&t from back in the day, considering how much they made them, who knows though just my wild speculation.  I obviously know nokia had the 900, but maybe windows wasn't were it should have been arguable in wp7.  Or maybe At&t just wants to loosen that grip apple has around its cohones.

OleWild says:

It's about time! I stopped by a new large AT&T phone store this morning before seeing this to see if they had any information on the 920's release. The workers there didn't even know what I was talking about. After going to 4 co-workers to ask about a new Lumia release, she finally could only tell that they didn't have any information. Looks like AT&T is on the ball as usual!

Dre325 says:

I want to know what was going on behind the scenes that delayed this announcement for so long. If ATT can fill the pipeline with these phones to launch in a couple days, have preorder websites set up and everything, I have to assume they've been working towards this date for weeks or months. I'm thinking the negotiations between ATT and Nokia and the effect on the price to the consumer must have been in flux up until the last day or so. Would love more info on this from WPCentral if Daniel can get some behind the scenes info. It would have been very beneficial for Nokia, ATT, and MSFT if they could have announced this a LONG time ago!

eyeban says:

maybe they were just waiting as long as they can wait so that they can dump the L900 to consumers that dont know anything bout the L920.

Kreblon says:

Damn. I've been set on the 920 for months, but after reading some reviews I was seriously considering the 8X. But with this pricing I'll definitely be going with Nokia.

Well im having my friend use his upgrade to get the 920 and im going to pay for it. Then im going to give him my 900 and $50 in return for using his upgrade. Im doing all of this to use the 920 on my straight talk plan

omextreme says:

I think you friend is getting the raw end of the deal on this one.....

Well maybe but seeing as his current phone is a Samsung blackjack and he just doesn't want to spend money on a new phone he's happy with the deal

Pages