More metal

HTC One (M8) for Windows will make its way to AT&T

Canadian Lumia 920 on Cyan

Lumia Cyan update coming to 920 in Canada

Lumia Cyan Updates!

Lumia Cyan going out to Lumia 520, 920 and 1020 users

New phone alert

Blind your friends with a neon green Lumia 1520 (AT&T)

Lumia Cyan Updates!

Cyan update hitting Lumia 920 users in UK, Italy and Spain

New phone alert

All green Lumia 1520 now available from AT&T

Cyan on AT&T

Lumia 520 and 925 on AT&T finally get Cyan and 8.1

AT&T's Lumia 1520 is now getting the Windows Phone 8.1 update

Strong subscriber growth powers AT&T's Q2 2014 earnings

AT&T may rollout Windows Phone 8.1 update 'as early as this week'

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

AT&T Nokia Lumia 635 arrives on July 25 for $99 as prepaid GoPhone

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Has AT&T already run out of free wireless charging plates? No, they have not.

Just after midnight last night AT&T finally starting taking pre-orders for the Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 for this Friday’s release. Included with the Lumia 920 is of course one free wireless charging plate—a $49 value.

We had reports coming in all day though that customers were not getting the free pad offer upon checkout. In fact, there was often no mention of it during the whole pre-order process. Some in our viewership called AT&T and were told by customer-service reps (CSR) that in fact AT&T has “run out” of said plates, effectively making the offer over just mere hours after it had begun.

We decided against putting the story out for a few reasons. One, the offer is actually good through the beginning of January and two, we’re talking about AT&T pre-orders here—a notoriously unreliable and far-from clear system.  And while we’d love to believe that demand was so high for the Lumia 920 that AT&T simply ran out of their freebie allotment, we’re not quite that naive to believe such a thing would have happened.

Indeed, when we tried to do our pre-order just a short time ago we were presented with a new pop-up telling us of the free wireless charging pad offer. The popup window tells you to select the Nokia Black Wireless Charging Plate “on the next page”. It also mentions you need to sign a new 2-year agreement, meaning if you are buying at the no-commitment price (like we were), you may not qualify.

Reader Tal F. has a slightly similar story but he spoke to another AT&T CSR and was told quite specifically: “...the free charging plate discount wouldn't be live on the AT&T site until 11/9/12.  So even though it shows that your Lumia 920 comes with a free charging plate, you need to hold off on your purchase until 11/9/12 if you want it to be applied at checkout.”

So what is going on? Our bet is AT&T is still working out the kinks to the offer, which as far as we can tell was a last minute deal between Nokia and AT&T (remember we first old you about that deal only a few days before it was announced). Our advice is simple: order away. If you don’t get a free wireless charging plate, just hold onto your receipt and call AT&T as soon as you can. They will most likely have you pick one up in the store or they will send you one direct. Push come to shove, you just tell them to take the phone back and we’re sure that will get things taken care of but in all honesty, we’re not too concerned over this.

If you really want peace of mind, just get up early on Friday and waltz into your local AT&T Store and try to do a direct Lumia 920 purchase and bring a copy of the press release with you as evidence.

WTF

On a separate note, we were a little discouraged from the whole process for another reason: upgrade availability. Sure, we used our upgrade status back in March for the Lumia 900 so fair is fair, here is our $450 AT&T. But during the process, AT&T was will to extend to us a “special upgrade deal” for you guessed it, the Apple iPhone. AT&T might not have been able to fool us with their snake oil but we wonder how many out there would be determined to stick by their Nokia guns?

Have a similar story? Share in comments or head to our super-busy Lumia 920 forum to share your experience and advice.

Thanks to all who sent this in!

Comments

isi mcf says:

The wierd thing is I had an upgrade and was given those same options showed, And had my charging pad discounted. 174.xx got me a glossy red 920+ black charging pad.

ecballa03 says:

I had mine discounted as well. Purchased the glossy white and had black charging pad discounted.

Can you get the wireless charging pad for free at the store?

I plan to hit the AT&T store as the gate is lifted Friday morning!  I'm hoping to score a Red and (fingers crossed) yellow.  I know they said yellow "online only" but this is AT&T we're talking about and who knows what will arrive in stores Friday!  Now I just wish someone would PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find out when and if the Microsoft Store will have the elusive Grey 920!

Wait, who and where does it say that yellow is exclusive online??

venom5150 says:

Its specifically mentioned in Nokia conversations. Says red, white, and black in stores with cyan and yellow online/ special order only.

Nataku4ca says:

i have a question not really regarding the story but i never figured this out (i didn't try though)
is it piece of mind or peace of mind? i've heard both and i still don't know which is the right one to use

jtes8 says:

I also thought it was peace of mind. Piece of mind would refer to a fragment of a whole mind?

SocalBrian says:

It's peace of mind.

Nimdock says:

It is peace of mind.

Kormiko says:

If I could give you a piece of my mind, it would really give me peace of mind.

jdevenberg says:

You give some one a piece of your mind (like when you tell them off).  Extended warranties give you peace of mind.

Tips_y says:

"Piece of mind" and "peace of mind" are both in use but have different meanings so, depending on what you want to say, you can use either one. "Piece of mind" is when you scold or angry at or dress down someone and give them an earful: "I'm so angry at the sales clerk so I'm going to give him a piece of my mind". Peace of mind is to put your mind or someone else's mind at ease, to reassure the person when he's troubled so he's put in a state of peace: :"For my peace of mind, could you tell me for sure that I'll get the charging pad if I order on Friday?".

ridie1389 says:

You can have a piece of my mi d if you really want it, but it might not do much for you. Its kind of like taking the S4 chip out if a Lumia 920

dlrohm says:

I called 3 stores up here (Boston area) and not a single person knew what a "Lumia 920" was. Needless to say, I couldn't preorder it. Completely clueless.

xirsteon says:

So much for MIcrosoft & ATT spending alot of money on advertising big for wp8 huh? I guess most of the cash went in on Win 8 instead.

mmoses1978 says:

They are just playing dumb and ignorant, they are Android and apple fans.

dcdemon813 says:

Its only for a free BLACK charging plate. I ordered mine last night. :)

Kormiko says:

That's fine to me....  "Little ditty... about Black and Cyan."

goodbar_dev says:

LoL... Black and Cyan... I love it... :)

ggonzalez777 says:

Wow, that made my day, lol

Pappa Ed says:

Thanks for the grin :)

Bushybro says:

Same here, I don't want a freaking iphone, been there, done that.  Offer me a freaking deal on the damn 920. I would gladly jump at that.  Just goes to show everyone of these carriers is still in apples back pocket.  Att is supposed to be the premier WP carrier, how about proving it by treating the 920 like the flagship it is.  Bastardes

VinomX says:

Okay here's the problem. I would love to buy the L920 on Nov. 9th and get the free wireless plate. However, Black Friday is not too far away, and there might be a $0.99 L920 sale, but I'm not sure if there will be any wireless plates left. Any advice?

Bushybro says:

Why don't you just wait til black friday.  God forbid you should have to pay 99 dollars for such a great device aaannnnddd get a free wireless charger.  I don't understand people, you want Nokia to be successful, but then want them to give away great innovation for pennies.  You guys do know at some point Nokia is going to have to start turning a profit on their devices in order to get the company back to it's former glory.  I'm not gonna front, I don't have 99 bucks myself or even the 450 to get it off contract, but I also don't expect to get the phone for freaking nothing.  Geez  -_-

tallgeese says:

B/c they probably can't afford it. Sad, but true.

JoeDizzle33 says:

Well, its a gamble. You might wait and no big sale and then you waited for nothing. $99 is a great price and .99¢ is better. You just have to decide if you can wait. Me, I ordered it now because I sold my cracked iphone(back glass) 4 for $75. So this phone is gonna cost me $25 out of pocket. Less once I sell my 900. I will actually make money buying the 920. :-D

tallgeese says:

You obtuse piece of flotsam.

aubreyq says:

If the offer is good until January, what's wrong with waiting until BF?

xirsteon says:

I'll wait to see if someone can find a way to unlock the phone thru other means besides ATT even If i've to pay I'll. I'm hoping the NL 920 works on Tmob 3g. It'll be a joy to buy it and use on Tmob. I've friends who are on ATT and can buy it w/o me signing up for voice and data plans on ATT (high plans).

borge1985 says:

I pre-ordered a Lumia 920 this morning on the AT&T website and had no problems adding the free charging plate to my order. Earlier, I had called to do the pre-order, but the CSR said they couldn't offer the free charging plates over the phone, so she directed me to do it online.

Which colors have been confirmed to be available In Store on the 9th?

All colors will be in store. All colors were in store for the 900. Except when the pink came out, it was web only.

Flootlupe says:

FYI - I just came home from two stores which told me they'll only carry the red, black, and white models in-store. They will order the others and have them shipped directly to you.

The iPhone has had that special upgrade since the second version came out. At 12 months after ordering any type of phone you pay half the full retail price for the iPhone.

JoeDizzle33 says:

Does this in any way affect the Nokia offer as well? Is it possible then to get 2 free wireless chargers? One from AT&T and another from Nokia.

aubreyq says:

I think they use the IMEI for validation, or something like that.

Pappa Ed says:

Wondering that myself. I did notice that my phone has shipped but my charging plate has not. Maybe ATT is acting as middle man and ordering our free plate to be shipped from Nokia?

xirsteon says:

I think ATT / Tmob / Verizon  and Nokia / HTC / Samsung are so caught up trying to figure out launch dates and final touches that they completely forgot about advertisements. These phones won't sell themselves if no1 advertises them to the consumers through the various media outlets.

Etyrnus says:

Actually, I was recently surprised.  I was in an AT&T store, and there was a couple in there that were asking about the 920.  I told them a little bit they didn't know, and also gave them this site for more info!

aubreyq says:

Well done, soldier!

Tronberry says:

Daniel,

From the screenshots you have posted, it looks like you are using the at&t wireless business website.  If you try to order from personal instead of business you won't get a pop-up telling you about the wireless charger.  You also cannot select the $49 wireless charger in the accessories step during the buying process.  So, maybe this is where all the confusion is coming from.

Also... why is this so hard?!

cjthree says:

Good point, when I order I was sent though the bussess site, commapany discount, and I got the pop up.

ecballa03 says:

I too ordered through the business site; perhaps that is the reason not everyone is seeing the popup.

NadZilla80 says:

^This. Tried to order with a personal account all day and could never see a charge plate anywhere. Just tried with a business account (didn't even know I could, yay my employer) and there it was, details about the offer and a popup telling me to add it to my cart.

EBynum says:

I used the personal site and there was no mention of the offer and the charging plates were nowhere to be found. I placed my pre-order without adding the charging plate (was never given the option to), but two live chat reps assured me that I will get the charger. She said they would be shipping the charging plate next week and that I would get a follow-up e-mail notifying me that the charging plate will be shipped to my home. We'll see...

Yeah, seriously why can't AT&T make the pre-ordering process simple. So much needless confusion.

I have to agree with the other poster about AT&T being clueless. I called the closest AT&T store earlier today because I want to go and pick up a black Lumia 920 there on Friday as opposed to ordering online. I specifically wanted to know whether it would include the free charging plate.

Well, the rep had no idea about the Lumia's release date. It barely sounded as if he even knew what a Lumia was. I was put on hold and a few minutes later he was able to tell me that it would be released on the 9th. Next question - the charging plate. Suffice to say he had no idea whatsoever. He told me AT&T did not give any information related to that to the sales reps.

I'm not sure whether he just chose to be ignorant of anything Nokia/MS/WP related due to being a fanboy of another platform, or whether AT&T really didn't give this info to their employees.

Seriously, this is the magical AT&T exclusive deal that is going to save Nokia? This is even worse than the time when I picked up the Lumia 900. At least that time every rep I was in contact with knew quite a bit of details about the phone and looked interested in it (whether fake or real - not sure). This time there is just...nothing.

I actually went to my local ATT store (West Nyack, New York) today to pre-order. The salesperson knew what the Lumia 920 was but did not know the answer to any of my questions. When I asked if I could preorder the phone and if the free wireless charger was included, and when it was coming out she replied "let me ask the manager" for all three. Luckily the manager knew the answers to all of the questions and she was able to pre-order it for me and I will be going to the store friday to pick it up. So I think the managers are way better informed about this stuff than the sales people, which is dissapointing.

My reciept says "PHO NOK LUMIA 920 BLU" and the total came to 108.36 because of tax. I got a confirmation email a little bit later with a tracking number so I am pretty confident I will be able to get the phone friday.

Side Note: there was also practically nothing windows phone related in the store. All the dummy phones were androind or iphone and se were the accssoried. The only windowsphone thing was a banner of sorts that featured the lumia 900, but it didn't look too appealing and didn't have any info about the phone; also there were all these android phones below the banner so it's like they want you to just buy an android instead. I hope when the phone actually is selling in store the sales people see it and get more knowledge, and it is advertised way better.

czhoume says:

you are not charged for a $36 fees?

Not on the reciept but when I asked the sales person she said I will be charged. It's going to appear on my next bill.

Jeff Kibuule says:

Always kinks. Why AT&T? Why?

edsiri1978 says:

I ordered two 920s last night but seeing later that i had to manually add the chargers into the cart, I canceled the orders online, and reordered. Little did I know doing just that would cause me a massive headache with AT&T.
After re-ordering the Lumias (with the chargers this time), I recieved a confirmation email, followed by a cancellation notice from AT&T a few minutes later. Very very very long story short, if you cancel an order online, it takes 72 hours for the cancellation to fully process. Therefore, another order cannot be placed until the order has cleared after 72 hours.
They let me know that I can still purchase the Lumias at the store as "they are in a different ordering system". Called my local store, and they let me know that they will only have "a good amount" of white, red, and black available at the store but still recommended going early. Cyan and Yellow will have to be ordered and shipped via the store. Not sure if this is the case for all stores as I tried calling another store who would not release any information.
So long story short...if you ordered without the charger, DO NOT CANCEL ONLINE if you want to receive it on Friday.

Tronberry says:

Thanks for the heads up.  It feels like they are making this complicated on purpose.

cjthree says:

I cancled last night and place a new order this morning. The guy just had to look in the system and verify it wsa cancled then he reset my 2 year agreement status. I would try again if you dont feel like going to the store.

edsiri1978 says:

Tried going to the store, tried ordering over the phone, and re-tried ordering online 2 more times - none of which worked. Did you cancel over the phone or online? The person I spoke with said that if you cancel online, it takes 72 hours. My guess is if you cancel over the phone, it's instant.

kdk#AC says:

Thanks for letting people know. I tried to do the same thing and the Rep at At&t said it would delay my order and to wait til after I got the phone and then contact Nokia and they would honor the agreement for the charger. Even without the charger it is still a great deal. Hope to get my 920 Friday:o)

jonesyvoor says:

Good point. I did cancel over the phone and processed a new order online and it appears i'm still in business to have my phone shipped tonorrow for Friday delivery. Then again, if not I'll have someone's head.

Tempest790 says:

That's what happened to me.  I ordered two of mine right after midnight.  Got my confirmation order and then a few minutes later got a cancellation email.  WTH?  Called this morning and they said I needed to go to an AT&T store and show two forms of ID to complete/confirm the order.  Never heard of that since I've been with AT&T.
    Needless to say, no one at the AT&T store ever heard of that.  We called the customer service lines from the store and got bounced around and transferred.  Seems the order is pending (they did a pre-charge on my credit card) but no one could say for sure if the order is still going to go through.  When I check the confirmation number online, it still says processing.
    AT&T really needs to clean up the online ordering issues.  This is ridiculous.  Needless to say, I have to wait it out and see if they ship the phones (with charging plates).  If not, I guess I'll be back to the store and see if I can snag them in-store.  I'm glad I didn't cancel the order, although it might have been better if I did.  I guess I'll find out Friday if I don't get any confirmation email otherwise.

edsiri1978 says:

Yep, that's what they did to me. The reps over the phone refused to give me any information what-so-ever unless I went into a retail store to verify my ID. It took 2 forms of ID with pictures, ,y address, social security number, and answering 4 questions from credit unions to verify who I was. After that they couldn't figure out what was going on - and after an hour I was told I could go home and try again. (Hah). Didn't work, called and they told me to go to the retail store AGAIN. I kept on calling until someone would give me a straight answer - takes 72 hours to fully cancel. Makes me wonder if AT&T is using computers made in the 80s to run their entire network?

John Maynus says:

See that's my problem. I ordered last night online and saw nothing about a free charger. Later when I contacted AT&T about the free wireless charger I was told "There is no such promo going on right now!" I replied to them with more info and so far got no reply, even filled out a new email today and showed them AT&T's press release where it states you'd get the free charger. Still no reply yet.

Now I'm reading you have to do a 2 year contract to get it.... huh the press release said nothing like that. It said if you ordered the Lumia 920 from AT&T you'd get the wireless charger free of charge. So guess I'll see once I get my phone.

erzhik says:

Might as well get it from Microsoft store

cjthree says:

The window to add the charge plate is not new. I saw it last night at 12 EST, but the system is bad. I keep seeing a price of 244 for eveythign, turn out I had an outdated voice plan needed to be moved over. Same plan, new number on the backend. They did not give me an option to keep the same voice plan when I got my phone. So this morning I had to call AT&T (this is how I found out the problem) and they fixed it. Processed worked this time, $99 with the charge plate and phone + 2 year aggreement. Hopfuly I will get it on the 9th *figers crossed*

cjthree says:

Etyrnus says:

I called at&t customer service, because I had one line eligible for upgrade and my other about 8 months from eligible. They actually hooked me up with a 920 for my main line (mine) and a 820 for my second. At the 2 year upgrade price for both. And all I did was ask, no begging or threatening to cancel needed. Was actually pretty awesome if them.

dtboos says:

I went to the store and it was much easier.  They got me the free wireless charging plate, and also stated that it would be shipped to me quicker (the yellow one) than it would be if ordered online.  May even get my phone by Monday.

PeterFnet says:

Thanks for the info, I had the same problem

tallgeese says:

My high gloss yellow Lumia 920 won't be shipped until ~14th of November 2012. Might hit my local AT&T store and cancel my online order if I can snag one in person.

EBynum says:

Hmm, I also ordered the yellow, but my order said it would be shipped on Nov. 12th. Maybe we'll receive the orders on the 14th.

IntensityTX says:

I ordered my new Cyan Lumia 920 this afternoon, new contract and I did not see anything relating to a charging plate.  After seeing this post, I had a chat session with AT&T.  The agent told me that all Lumia 920 Pre-Orders are going to get a free charging plate.  Even though nothing is on my order confirmation, I will receive a email confirmation when the charging plate is shipped.  This applies to all pre orders.

IntensityTX says:

I just checked my order status summary online and there is an extra item listed, seperate from the phone.  Description: Replacement - Item Status: Processing - Tracking Number: Pending Shipment - Qty: 1    That is on a completely different line from the actual phone.  Total number of items: 2

EBynum says:

Mine says the same thing. Rep said not to worry about it.

I think it's the microsim. regardless of if you have one or not, ATT always ships you a new one when ordering online/over the phone. That's what it says on my order summary.

cba191 says:

I don't know what happened, but I used my upgrade for my cyan 900 when they came out. I checked to see if I was eligible, and it looks like I am. :)
    now to decide on red or yellow. :D

AT&T DONT RUN OUT OF NOTHIN THEY GOT ALL THE MONEY :P

MaulerX says:

I preordered two 920's shortly after midnight and got the free wireless plate on both. It's in my invoice and everything.

riffraffy says:

"The popup window tells you to select the Nokia Black Wireless Charging Plate “on the next page”. It also mentions you need to sign a new 2-year agreement, meaning if you are buying at the no-commitment price (like we were), you may not qualify."

I can't see how AT&T thinks they can get away with that. Yesterday's press release CLEARLY says otherwise. Note, there is no asterisk or qualifier anywhere within the page. I-will-raise-holy-hell if they so much as suggest I am not eligble...

Special AT&T Promo Offers Free Wireless Charging Plate With Purchase of a Nokia Lumia 920

For a limited time and while supplies last, AT&T will also include a wireless charging plate – free of charge – with each purchase of a Lumia 920.

MerlotC says:

Thee Att website is very picky about what browser you use. I couldnt get the free charger pop up (or even the preorder button to work right) until using an older IE.

rx74ray says:

I noticed they ran out. So this morning went to local ATT store. They gave me the phone and free charger pre-order in store.

rwcrossman says:

That was nice of them I wish my store did that.  I went in and the rep knew nothing about the launch other then it would be on Friday.  He also looked me in the eye and told me that the phone was not able to be preordered in store and I would have to take my chances getting one on Friday.  Sounds like your store is much better then mine is.

BuddhaLite says:

I stopped into a retail location tonight and was told the only units they're receiving Friday are floor models. They won't have any 920's at that location for sale on release. They did order me two though to have shipped directly to me.  Charging plates were included.

MarkTurbo says:

I just got back from my local AT&T store. They quoted me $350 for early contract termination including the cost of a 920. I got my 900 in April. They also offered me $75 trade-in value for my 900, so, total cost should be $275. I'll be outside the store when they open on Friday morning. :-)

aubreyq says:

Seems you're doing an awful lot just to get a 920. How about you buy the phone off contract for $450. Sell the 900 on your own. You might clear over $75, but let's just say you get the $75. So, for $375 you get the 920 and you don't have to cancel your contract, plus a little over a year from now you'll be upgrade eligible again ;-)

tumolo says:

Spoke with CSR this morning about getting my Lumia 920 and upgrading from my 900.  I purchased my 900 as soon as it launched, so I would not be available to upgrade until March 2013 with an early exception.  I told the rep that it would be cheaper to cancel my contract and purchase a new phone from Verizon. They then transfered me over to loss prevention department.  I told the women the same thing and they informed me they would make the exception for me but they could not pre-order.  I will need to order Friday over the phone only, they will not upgrade me at the local store.  Still do not know if I am getting the charger, but I will update on Friday when I figure it out.

jen35 says:

So what was the final price that you have to pay ?

gabik123 says:

Guys does anyone know how the free charging plate business will work if we get the phone off contract at best buy? I want to take advantage of best buy not having a restocking fee if I end up not liking it...

Dethzilla says:

I believe Nokia is offering the
    same deal too.

blange701 says:

Was able to buy with upgrade price through at&t and I bought the lumia 900 on release day. Thanks at&t for early upgrade offer for the better than an iPhone device. Can't wait to get my glossy red 920 on Friday. Can I get a "hell yea"

jen35 says:

What was the total price that you paid for early upgrade ?

kahibbi says:

Did you do the upgrade at the store?  I got the 900 on release and would love to be able to get the 99.99 upgrade price.

TX6shooter says:

I bought the lumia 900 on release day as well. Tried the early upgrade online, but it is not available to me.
    What is the trick here?

blange701 says:

99.99 + activation. Charge plate free, discounts on cart. about $140

jen35 says:

oh cool !! let me also try to get an upgrade, thanks for the details

kahibbi says:

Tell us how you did it / what steps / where ... in getting the upgrade from the Nokia 900 that you got on release day for $99.99.  Thanks.

blange701 says:

Went to site. Checked eligibility. Said available. Added lumia 920 to cart along with black plate and finished my order. I have a corporate account family plan don't know if that helps me become eligible earlier but I noticed I was eligible during iPhone time just figured that was at&t opening me up for ishit

Dethzilla says:

I ordered in the store.   Forgot to check the charge plate.

beefydragon says:

Forget the freebies. If they allows early upgrade I'd pay the $199 sticker price!!

eyeban says:

I think the reason why ATT is taking their sweet time, is for them to have enough  time to get rid of old hardware, such as L900.

PeadarWagon says:

called 5 of the closest stores on 6th to see what they knew......nothing. went to my nearest store and they didnt know what the phone was. brought me to the lumia 900. i tried to explain that they were supposed to be able to take preorders today. he said they couldnt and didnt even know the release date. i gave him all the info and the manager even said they wouldnt be able to but the sales associate said he would try and see what happens. finally getting trough the order it worked but they had no idea about the free wireless charging pad. he told me that if it wasnt clear come friday that he believed they would be able to take care of me anyway.

gan1981 says:

Just want to confirm on the wireless charging plates, so contacted the ATT sales rep and this is what they said:
    Tracy A.: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support.  How may I assist you with placing your order today?
    Nick: Heard that we get a wireless charging plate free with this Lumia 920
    Nick: I see no option for it
    Tracy A.: Yes, you do get one for free.
    Tracy A.: It doesn't show up in the cart but you do a separate email with the shipping details as the charger will be shipped separately for free Nick.

EBynum says:

I was told the same thing.

bguy_1986 says:

I just chatted with AT&T support online.  I ordered mine earlier in the day and never got the offer.  They told me that it would be shipped to me automatically even though I didn't add it to the order.  They told me not to worry.

Hopefully that's all true!

EBynum says:

I never got the offer when I placed my order either. I was told the same thing by two different live chat reps. I was told, "I do apologize for the confusion. You will receive a free Wireless Charging Plate if you order the Nokia Lumia 920. We will be sending them out next week. You will also receive a follow-up e-mail notifying you that the plate will be shipped to your home. I can assure you will receive the e-mail next week." She also mentioned that the charging plate would be shipped separately from the phone. So at this point, I'll just wait to see what happens next week.

fulnix says:

I ordered mine over the phone and they got me my plate :)

dula6000 says:

I was about to order off line for the nokia lumia 920 cyan color. but i went into the store and the manager told me that on the 9th of november i can just pick up the lumia 920 and choose any color i want.  And far as the wireless charge pad go. i can select ant color i want come november 9th.   But i stay in atlanta ga.  I drove down to at&t on campcreek parkway and recieved this infromation....So ill be there early friday morning.

Really? Im in ATL....ill be down on camp creek in the afternoon to pick mine up then

bassrebel says:

So let me get this straight... the free wireless charger option will ONLY be available on AT&T? Or can I buy it either in the Microsoft store or BB and get the offer?

crickman1 says:

I preordered the 920 earlier today. Ran into trouble trying to get the charging plate to be properly credited and couldn't figure out why, as it kept showing that I would have to pay full price for it.
    I then realized, after looking at the fine print, that you have to select a data plan worth at least $20 a month and a monthly service charge of at least $39 or so to qualify for the offer. I had been selecting the $15 a month data option and that's why it wasn't working for me. You also, according to the fine print, have to select the BLACK charging plate --- the other ones aren't an option.
    This was simply my experience. You may have better/different luck in store, over the phone, etc.

I just thought I would add my two cents regarding people's qualms regarding the iPhone...

While it is true that one can get the early upgrade, it is the price of the phone on contract ($200 for base model) plus $250, making it a total of $450. This is exactly what the Lumia costs off contract. And I think they did this for a reason. Would it have been wiser to perhaps present it to the customer in a different way? You bet. But at the end of the day, I don't feel they are doing anything more special with the iPhone in terms of sales (in fact, $450 OFF contract is better than $450 ON), but it seems worse to the average consumer still.

puredrive07 says:

I have to call tomorrow, it says I can upgrade for $99, but in the end it says $199 which isn't right. Hopefully after I get this straighten out tomorrow morning I will get it on the 9th.

goldenpipes says:

god i want to order one so bad but i know black friday there is going to be an AT&T penny sale! lol well i don't know this for sure but there was last year and i got burned on it buying a Focus S for 99$  plus im not eligible on my line of my family plan but i have been able to use another lines upgrade in the past. dont know how this worked.

rcciren says:

Here in the UK I went into a Phones4U store to ask about their exclusive 920 white deal on EE to have their iP5 deal almost pushed down my throat! Comments like "WP8 is the smartphone poor relation with only a few apps". So much for P4U being a WP8 champion!

martinmc78 says:

Depends who you talk to ive found. Some staff ive spoken to are pumped for the WP8 range and will really talk to you about it while others will offer the iphone5 or GS3. Think they must all be on quotas for what they have to sell in a week. But i have found the staff generally more positive about WP8 even if they havent used it themselves.

jayruguitar says:

Ordered the Cyan for my wife last night. Smooth sailin'. Gonna go into the store on Friday morn to grab my white!

I had to place my order over the phone because the online system was trying to force me into either a Shared plan or a new Individual Voice plan. It wouldn't accept my existing FamilyTalk plan. The phone process was a nightmare because I had to handhold the rep through the phone being a pre-order and only for $99 instead of the 199.99. Then I had to tell her about the free charging plate as well. No one seemed to know anything. I still haven't received any tracking info despite the fact that I've acepted the Terms and Conditions to have the phone shipped yesterday.

Mad Strings says:

I bought a cyan 920 online, added the black charger and it was added as free. However, since I am doing a cross upgrade, I had to add a data plan from their current offerings (maybe you need to do this for any upgrade!??). Hope this could help.
    And just so you know, I talk with customer service and they gave me a number to call to activate my phone so I can keep my current data plan. Hope everyone else has an easy time to get it.
    P.S. Nokia should have allowed a free charging plate in black or the color of the phone we chose (I wanted cyan, but I won't spend $50 extra for a different color that is priced the same as a black plate).

I went into AT&T late last night at the Rockingham Mall in Salem, NH hoping they would have a demo unit. The AT&T rep I talked to was actually knowledgeable, and said that they would be training for a couple hours today with Nokia reps, where they would be given phones that they would have to give back at the end of the session. I am not sure what the secracy is here. There are units all over the internet on blogs such as this one. I commented on how I was dissappointed that there was literally NO advertising for the 820/920, and the rep thought that was strange too. He didn't go as far as to blame Nokia, but he did say they hadn't gotten ANYTHING to put up for the unit yet. He pulled out his L900 and said he was eagerly waiting for the phone, so I don't feel like there was any bias (if anything it was bias FOR Nokia here). I am still not sure what to think. Really not.

Conversely, I also went into the Microsoft store at the same mall. The reps there were ultra friendly. It reminded me a lot of the Apple store in every way imaginable. They saw us browsing and asked us if we had any questions. I got to talking with Brett, one of the reps about Windows 8. We have it on our iMac, but haven't been using it much due to a glitch in bootcamp screwing with bluetooth keyboard (I bought the computer for an ULTRA deal second hand... I would have gone wired... and may still opt for that). He taught me a few cool things. I wandered over to the windows phones with him and was bummed to see all 7.x devices. I asked him if they had any of the WP8 devices to play with. They did not.

Seriously, what gives? It's like Microsoft doesn't want our money here. I don't get it.

asuffred says:

I Don't want to be negative, but I would have to say this whole pre-order was very unorganized. I talked to 3 att customer reps. and not one of them knew about the wireless charger. I had to go to a local att store and have a guy there order it for me online, it was i headache dealing with the people on the phone.

rwcrossman says:

I agree that it is very unorganized but as long as I get my phone and that charging plate I can deal with a little disfunction. ie: no one knowing what colors the stores will be carrying tomorrow.

mwright53 says:

Ordered the black 920 last night. Chatted with someone from att who said the charging plate would be be shipped with phone.

FUS3360 says:

IT would be nice if preordering a phone online would be the same as it is whem preordering video games..  Every time I preofder a video game, I usually receive it on the release date..  This may not be the case with AT&t..

FUS3360 says:

IT would be nice if preordering a phone online was  the same as it is whem preordering video games..  Every time I preofder a video game, I usually receive it on the release date..  This may not be the case with AT&t..

andrantos says:

After pre-ordering through the ATT website, I was never offered the promotion.  I remember reading about, but thought it was just a rumor or something.
    I then went back hours later and spoke with a rep about adding some accessories to my order.  After I told him that I was interested in the brick and the stand, he came back and said the brick would actually be sent out about a week or so from now as part of a promotion.  He also said I'd recieve an email confirmation as to when it was sent.
    This lines up with other comments.

Calnor says:

I am able to upgrade, when i click the ATT  link to see my choices I taken to a page with a whole screen Iphone 5 ad, at the bottom it will say continue.  But it looks like that is the first choice they are pushing in front of their customers to choose.  I am looking forward to getting a 920.

Has anyone gotten their tracking info yet? I got mine but it's a USPS tracking number and there is no info available. I'm wondering if it will even be delivered tomorrow.

marveldave says:

just got the tracking info too. Shipped via FedEx.  ETD: Monday 11/12.

mikroland says:

ordered mine wed and it said delivery by fri. still no shipping confirmation. BUMMER

mikroland says:

update, just called the 877-782-8870 Att order status line and it has shipped and I have my tracking number. Its shipping UPS overnight and I will receive it tomorrow!!!!!
    Just hope I'm satisfied with the cyan color!!!!

Calnor says:

I was able to play with a white one today in store.  I didn't like the High Gloss finish.  The White, Yellow and Red are all High Gloss.  Where as the Black and Cyan have a Matte finish.  Has anyone see the Grey one out there and can tell me what the finish on it is? Matte or High Gloss.  Thanks.

mikroland says:

did you see a cyan model?
    I believe the grey is matte but I didnt see it as an option to order...

bsd107 says:

What store?

Harry Wild says:

I am excited about Nokia 920!  I hoping it will be the holiday smartphone hit!  I love the 920 features and look!  It is only slightly heavier then other same size smartphones and it feels solid because of the design and weigh!

cdbstl76 says:

This is on their site now....The included Nokia Wireless Charging Plate will ship at a later date.

Hankerin says:

Order acknowledged at 9:26 PM, Tuesday, November 6.  I was notified of a partial shipment at 7:10 PM the following day.  I'm going to assume the item shippped was the phone - will know not later than 4:30 today.  In the shipping notice I was advised that they will ship the remaining backordered items when all items are in stock and will notify you via email with the tracking number.  And I think the $36 upgrade fee is fair (I have a Lumia 900).

fyodors says:

Picked up a red 920 from a store this morning. They didn't know anything about the free wireless charger and didn't even have any for sale at the store. Said to hang on to my receipt and wait until it gets sorted out.

Well, all my excitement for my new Lumia 920 has been squashed. I saw the promotion for the free wireless charging plate a couple days ago, logged onto AT&T as soon as the 920's appeared, and upgraded from my iPhone. No wireless charging plate mentioned during checkout...slightly concerning, but figured it would show up in box or something. This morning my teenager's upgrade eligibility kicked in so I logged on to get him a Lumia and there was a charging plate mentioned and listed as line item in checkout. Great. I called AT&T to ask how to insure I get my free charger and representative said there is no way. Has to be part of checkout process. I said "So I can just return it then and order a new one?" She says yes, but I would have to wait for the package (which is already in transit to me), ship it back to them, wait for it to be received and checked out before my upgrade eligibility is applied back to my account. Screw that. I went to AT&T store this morning, told them my story. Sales rep tells me I can return it at the store and get new one right there on the spot...sweet...BUT, there is a $36 restocking fee. Seriously? He recommended I just ship the thing back like the lady said or just pay $49 for a charging plate. Came home, called back AT&T, asked to speak to manager. She told me the same thing as the first rep. It's just impossible. These things are part of a promotion only blah blah blah. I asked if they sell them on their own (knowing they do) she searched for it, found it. I said "So theoretically you could just discount one of those down to zero as a customer service gesture for your website being screwed up instead of punishing me for ordering a day before your system was ready for the advertised promotion." She repeated her earlier statements, this time in a robotic monotone.
    So...the thing about AT&T just taking care of it? Not so much.

easyejl says:

I called on my order, which I did not receive the popup for (but did recieve 2 of the 3 phones today whooohoooo). Speaking to them, the order for my 3 wireless charging pads was already place in through their warehouse.

karl11 says:

Got the red 920 today. They did no have the charge pad, so they ordered me one and will be shipped to my house.

phumanchu says:

I called in today to AT&T and the rep was pretty clueless about the wireless charger like everyone has been saying.  But she was nice enough to send me a cyan blue one after I kept repeating myself about the promotion.  So moral of the story, keep calling till you get a good rep that puts the customer first.  Or just wait it out till next week and see if the chargers ship.

bpgui says:

I get the popup that tells me I have to add it to my cart to fet the discount... BUT when I try to add it to my cart, it just says "Out of Stock" and won't let me add it.

bpgui says:

Just got off the phone with a rep, and he said that they ARE out of stock and that is why I can't add it to my cart.

wadedx says:

Yes, definitely out of stock now online and there is no way to cart one. So I went into a retail store, and although there they were out of 920s ("like an iPhone launch on Friday", they said) and they'd never even gotten charging plates, they were able to order up the phones and the colored plates. No idea when they'll ship though.

bpgui says:

It has now been confirmed multiple times that, YES, they are out of the charging plates and not honoring the promotion.

bguy_1986 says:

just chatted online and it didn't sound that way....