Keep up on your power with Battery Level for Windows Phone 8

Here's an app that should excite some of you new Windows Phone 8 owners out there: Battery Level for WP8 by Alex Golesh. The first of its kind, as far as we know, the app allows you to constantly keep abreast of your battery life on your WP8 device with a simple Live Tile.

Just pin the app to your Start screen and choose one of three sizes (small, medium and doublewide) to suit your needs. The doublewide will even display the charging state (discharge or charging) in addition to the battery icon and percentage left. Oh and the app can also display a battery icon and percentage on the Lock screen. Yup, just head to Settings and choose it as one of your five options and you'll be good to go.

The app is completely free and besides a simple spelling error within the app, it's pretty slick. Even if you're not into this, you should be excited to see the kinds of things developers will be releasing soon to the Windows Phone Store for Microsoft's latest OS. We should see some really creative apps over the next few months.

Pick up Battery Level for WP8 here in the Store.

QR: Battery Level

Comments

hardcoreplur says:

I want my yellow Lumia!

I'm waiting for mine, it comes Thursday. -_-

Ricky C says:

me too, but I'm starting to wish I ordered the white one, but it could just be sometime of subliminal advertising going on with WP Central.

sanien says:

Haha +1 Its all because of Dan's white one.

tilemaster says:

And I want a fuckin' wireless charger! Here in germany its not possible to buy any accessories, no chargers, no docks, nothin... dunno why...

Kristijan87 says:

At least you'll get your device soon (if you already don't have one). :( Croatia will get Lumia 920 in February, most likely. And T-Mobile Croatia is a complete biatch! Do you know what they've told me? "Hello, Kristijan, blah blah blah, next year, Q1, that's not too long of a wait, is it?" Idiots, I hate them!

tilemaster says:

oh yeah thats crap... but Q1 maybe the surface phone will be released and maybe its better than the lumia... next time nokia should release phone and accessories at the same time. Its curios, in germany you can buy the lumia since the first week of november, but no charger, and in the usa some ppl got a charger but no phone lol...but microsoft also failed so hard when they delivered the touch covers to the folks but no surface tablet m)

venetasoft says:

Buy it in Italy, not so far from you :)

They aren't exactly all over the place here either. I haven't been able to find any accessories for the 920 anywhere in MA save a couple speck cases which, while I appreciate the effort, I have no real interest in.

ricardios says:

Was looking for something like this but gave up.  Now it's finally here!  This will be my first app I download when I get my WP8. Wouldn't mind paying for it

Alex Golesh says:

If you want to pay for it, I can make a paid version. Any suggestions for paid version extra features?

I would pay if it could provide some indication of the amount of power consumed by individual apps.

Would be great if it calculated remaining battery

ravi.tandon says:

Additional colors, type of cell shown, solid fill vs bars, unit change. Live tile shows time since last charge. Avg time between charges. Lot of creative options. How about power saver options etc

Adretheon says:

Would be nice to show something about how long your last charge was vs how much got charged. aside from that the other ideas sounded good.

But back to the article comment, hehe, I like this and as well plan and DLing as one of my first WP8 apps

gmantione says:

No reason... NOT to get it =P. Haha awesome though! Finally, I can think about what my battery life will be on my wp8!

Piro.Garay says:

IT'S MY LUMIA AND I NEED IT NOW!!!!!!

LMAO! I know that feeling. Ordered mine early morning on the 7th. At&t are still processing the order. Haven't even shipped it out yet no clue when it arrives :/

Piro.Garay says:

Well I didn't wanna pre-order because I was thinking that the AT&T store would have them sooner... But living here in Wyoming I should have pre-ordered it.

willied says:

+1 for the reference.

FunWithDrugs says:

Omg I hate those commercials.

Paul May says:

Just installed it. Love it since I kept going to the battery saver to see what % of battery I had left.

ricardios says:

What's great is that it's probably the only one in WP8 Store.  If you use Android and want something like this you'll need to decide among dozens of choices.  Love how simple this looks and very practical.

Chregu says:

Battery Tile is another one and there are more.

jhoff80 says:

Two spelling mistakes in the app, not one.  "Carging" and "Settins"

erzhik says:

And we care why? If the app works, who cares? Better to have a functional app with a grammatical mistake than not have an app at all.

jhoff80 says:

I'd rather have something that works AND looks professional, and not having typos is part of looking professional. And the article specifically mentioned that there is a single typo, but there are two.

But if you're happy with applications that look bad, that's on you.

Z10YkakPES says:

Did you pay for it? It affects your life in some way? No, don't like it, don't install it and stop bitching

I agree with jhoff80. It's nice to see some sense of professional pride in an app (among other things). Misspelled words in apps are pretty annoying, and far too rampant in apps and sites these days. Glad WPCentral is one of those sites that has a professional feel to it.

lippidp says:

Typos in the UI also means typos in the code. There will be bugs - get ready.

NIST says:

Jeez girls, if you're gonna argue, let's do this right. Let me go get some jello and a midget referee.

Etyrnus says:

I seriously lol'd

venetasoft says:

Grammar mistakes are nn important, but mean a poor app testing...

jetbo says:

Is it just me or is anyone else with the 920 experiencing horrible battery life compared to the 900?

JoeDizzle33 says:

Same here. Not sure what's up with it.

jetbo says:

Glad to see not just me 10 hours I was at 20 percent checking maybe 5 mins an hour

Masterz1337 says:

Yeah, mine is insanely terrible. Hoping this gets fixed soon... May need to keep my 900 with me to swap SIMs.

jposthauer says:

Mine is great. Sucks for you.

tilemaster says:

yeah same here too... i disabled email push and let it now check every 15mins that helped a very little bit i think... but battery life is incredibly short even if you are doing nothing with the phone :(

any chance that they can fix that?

david126 says:

Nothing here, 920 battery life is good

MarkTurbo says:

No battery problem here. Been using my 920 frequently all day for 8 hours so far and I'm at 85% battery left. Using LTE and Wi-Fi hotspots all day too.

bryan_05 says:

That is not believable.

MarkTurbo says:

Whether you believe it or not, it's true. Down to 80% now after 9 hours since I took it off charge.

Masterz1337 says:

Pics or it didn't happen. Gotta

Masterz1337 says:

Love the screenshot feature

NH3MAN says:

I am getting awesome battery life as well but I've cycled my battery about 3-4 times now. Been stuck in a hospital, with little time to sleep and have had it on playing with it constantly.

It's just you playing with it more since it's new. ;)

Masterz1337 says:

I hope so, or perhaps it gets better with time, I remember being underwhelmed with the 900's battery when I got it. Speaking of which, does anyone know how to enable edge on the 920? I got into the diagnostics menu but it's different than the 900.

wsantiago says:

I've noticed subpar battery performance. Especially when I first turned on my new phone it was very hot and battery drained quickly. Its gotten better but sometimes warms up.

RussST24 says:

Works great. And nice lock screen integration.

WilliamC1972 says:

Hey guys, any info on when T Mobile will be getting there Windows 8 phones?

aubreyq says:

Supposedly this coming Wednesday.

ryude says:

This app drained my 920 battery quick, just throwing my 2 cents in.

jtroller says:

For a second there I was expecting this to say "Lumia exclusive"

ejlee072006 says:

This are the kind of things wp8 should've have from the gecko...this one of the reasons im not jumping on wp8,there's rumors that lumia 930 will be skinnier,lighter,bigger screen with more color options..if i wasn't a l900 owner i will definitely jump on 920 but the fact i became a beta tester with the 900 i will definitely refused to be one again..besides wp8 apps have a long way to go... Get the bumblebee colorway...
SURFACE PHONE ist quarter 2013..

tilemaster says:

oh no's I'll see me ending up selling the lumia and change to that surface phone lol... I love my lumia very much, but since the first time I used win8 preview I totally mutated to a microsoft fanboy xD

duoFurious says:

Rumors like that always coming around. Doubtful to see another flagship for 6 months

willied says:

"from the gecko" LOL!

shinygerbil says:

Glad I'm not the only person who noticed that O_O

trying to decide if it's some kind of postmodern joke, or genuine confusion. :D

schlubadub says:

Hahaha :P Either a mis-hearing of "get go" or auto-correct perhaps

venetasoft says:

Better U wait for wp45 in 2035, Lumia990 will have transparent body, 3000x2000 screen projector and will be installable under your eye.
Please c'mon.If U wait for next model, U will never buy anything :)

duoFurious says:

This seems like a great app. I hate touching the top all the time on my 920

AngryNil says:

Does this work in real-time, or every 30 minutes?

henilp89 says:

yes i want to know that too.. cuz in the aricle he says "..the app allows you to constantly keep abreast of your battery life..".. can anyone confirm.. they havent shipped my lumia yet :( prob will come on wednesday!

pinbak says:

It appears too be real time. While reading through these comments, I started with 74 and I went to look at the pinned tile and it was at 73 right before I typed this! :)

pinbak says:

Ok I went to check again after playing a game and viewing CNN....it must update on the 30 min rule because it was 67 after I CLICKED on it. :/

bryan_05 says:

It's definitely not real time. You have to click to update (or maybe 30 minutes).

Alex Golesh says:

Every 30 minutes or so. There is no way to mak real-time updates for 3rd part apps. Also, even if it possible, whould you like to have battery status app which helps to discharge the battery? ;)

There seems to me to be a couple to a few percentage points off. Not a big deal. Battery life so far doesn't seem to be that great. I unplugged it at noon and its 5pm and I'm at 32% with moderate use.

MarkTurbo says:

Wow! There seems to be a huge variance here! I just posted above that I'm down to 80% after 9 hours. I took my 920 off charge at 9am. It's 6pm now and I've been checking e-mail, messages and forums all day!

cddigi says:

Lucky. I took mine off the charger at 9:30a and at 7p I was at 45%. Not doing too many intensive things. Have email on push, checked the ESPN app for football scores every twenty minutes, and sent texts out every once in awhile.

MarkTurbo says:

Interesting. I'm down to 70% now after 10 hours. Don't know why my 920 is doing so well today. I'm at home on my wi-fi and I have LTE service. I'm checking the phone every 10-15 mins, checking e-mail, forums etc. The 920 is definitely lasting longer than my 900 did.

About the same as me. Love this thing!

alphacc82 says:

Windows Phone background tasks on only for 30 minute runs, that is if not much else is going on. Since this developer isn't a first party dev with access to inaccessible APIs, then it prob will run every 30-60 min. Unless there is something in win phone 8 that I am unaware of!

This explains the strange numbers I am seeing. Its not updating quickly at all.

RafRol says:

Nice and useful app it seems, but do we really need a double-wide tile?

Need? No. But with these new tiles its probably just easiest to give us every option possible.

Seany72 says:

Hope this comes to Windows 7.8

This doesn't seem to update accurately. My phone seems go stay on one number for a while and then drop down a whole dozen or so percent on refresh. Still, better than nothing.

alphacc82 says:

Cus its a background task that updates every 30+ min!

Landsharkk says:

Looks decent, but "Battery Saver' built in app does the same thing withou the live tile.
What we need is a battery app that gives you the ability to see how much battery you drained within a certain time period and which apps were being used during that time period.  Then we could really tell which apps drain the most battery, etc.

willied says:

The whole point of this is the live tile...

Gken says:

yeah omg, my battery life went down the toilet after the first charge.....hmm that is so weird.   Hope I don't have to exchange it.

ajua says:

That guy beat me! I'm testing some apps like that and the first one I tought of making was a battery indicator.

I guess that's what makes competition si I will have to bring my A game with my first batch of apps :)

jimski says:

Add a graph like in the Homebrew Battery Status app and you have a winner! You are already capturing the battery percentage every 30 minutes. So save it in a database and add it to a graph. Simple.

I think this app drains battery. I deleted it

cdbstl76 says:

Could you run some bench marks to back that up?

cddigi says:

Yeah, kept checking it every couple minutes to see how fast the battery was draining. It was dropping a couple of percent each time I checked. Uninstalled and been texting for the last five minutes and its dropped less than when I was checking the app.

jimski says:

It shouldn't. All it's doing is recording the current battery level every 30  minutes. No call out to the Web, Probably takes all of 0.2 seconds to complete the task and update the tile. The homebrew Battery Status app checks every 10 minutes vs. every 30, and after multiple tests, I determined it used less than 2% of my battery in a 16-18 hour day.

Remove it for now if you like, but don't write it off. Probably something else snatching up your juice. Oh, and unlike a clock, if you focus all your attention on your battery level it will move/drop faster. Why, because your screen is on. The biggest single drain on your battery.
To all you new 920 owners. Congratulations. Enjoy your new phones, but be prepared to keep them on charge often for the first few days. If I had one right now, I know I would have a hard time turning it off.

jetbo says:

So to the battery life issue everyone saying they had good battery life seem to be on WiFi anyone on att getting good battery life off WiFi?

Masterz1337 says:

I can confirm I haven't connected to any WiFi yet on it, and my battery life so far is horrid

Perfect, I use it on the lock screen!

melvinmajor says:

I'm hardly waiting HTC to deliver the third Windows Phone 8 by HTC (aka Zenith)...

dinod says:

I thought @tomwarren showed that battery level could be pinned from settings. Is this true?

nitrocs says:

Anyone having an issue with this app only displaying 99% while OS says 100% ?
left the phone on charge all night & its fully charged according to settings page info, but lock screen & live tile only say 99

Alex Golesh says:

Yes. 99 is maximum possible number of such tile type. Next version will bring new "special" icon for this.

nitrocs says:

Great news...I look forward to it!

larspassic says:

Daniel was right. I am going to go crazy over this.

Bushybro says:

I remember when I first got my 900, I thought the battery life was horrid but after using it for a week it just got better and better. Then it was great all.of a sudden. Does anyone think it's the battery being conditioned as you use it?

tds101 says:

Damn, I wish it was available for my Lumia 900,... :-(

agm353 says:

This is a cool concept, but it actually drained my battery more than it did help. Also, it was slow to update and the lock screen % didn't update in real time (didn't have it pinned).

O/S limits live tile updates to every 30 minutes, thats as 'real time' as you are going to get with any app

tds101 says:

Lets test this out on my Lumia 920!!!

dlask says:

I bougt white lumia from AT&T online received on Monday, I fully charge it on Tuesday morning today after day and half of average use (stock quotes, 2 email clients and gmaps running on background) I still have 40% of battery left. This phone outperform my iphone 4s in battery life. With iphone I  usualy had 40% after day of use with simular apps running.

Any chance something like this will be available for my windows 8 laptop?