Editorials

Beats Music and Spotify versus Xbox Music

OneMusic for Windows Phone gets updated with new light theme and more

Spotify hits version 3.1 with bug fixes in tow for Windows Phone 8.1

Be rewarded for watching TV and discovering new music with Viggle

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Music streaming service Rdio now available from the Windows Store

Joe Belfiore announces new updates, sheds some details on lock screen app

Single Spotify account breached in bizarre compromise, Windows Phone user data reportedly safe

Get this app now to keep up to date with all of your music on your Windows Phone

Music startup 22tracks works with Microsoft to redesign its web experience for touch

Spotify releases massive update with new design, radio and more

Microsoft keeps promise, updates Xbox Music for Windows Phone

Here's how Sprint can save you money on Spotify

Xbox Music updated, start playlists using Cortana

How To

How to identify music around you with Cortana

Games

Xbox Game The Harvest returns from the wastelands to Windows Phone 8

Like the Indie music scene in India? Artist Aloud is the app for you!

New images reveal an overhauled Store for Windows Phone 8.1, includes automatic app updates and more

Windows 8 Apps+Games

VLC for Windows 8 is now available in the Windows Store

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Windows 8 app update roundup: Music, Video, and Evernote receive new features and performance tweaks

Top five Windows Phone apps for music fans

Spotify App on Windows Phone 8 missing in action but on its way

Spotify App on Windows Phone 8 missing in action

Those of you who have just purchased a new Windows Phone 8 device might have noted that there are some gaps with regards to apps. Previously available apps are not showing in the marketplace and are in need of an update. One such app is the high profile Spotify offering.

The app was a long time coming on Windows Phone 7 and many subscribers rely on it greatly to get their mobile music fix. Even with the advent of Xbox Music and competing services like Rdio, Spotify still offers up a compelling selection, especially for those with specialist music tastes.

We approached Spotify to seek clarification on the future of the Windows Phone app and were pleased to get a response within almost minutes of launching the request. The good news is that they are “working on a Windows Phone 8 Spotify app and to watch this space”.

We’re obviously really pleased they are continuing to develop for Windows Phone and hope that the new app makes use of the new features of the platform. We hope that there isn’t too much of a wait. If you have moved over to Windows Phone 8 recently then we’d suggest checking out Xbox Music or Rdio in the meantime to see if that will fill your needs. The question does remain as to why such a high profile app on the platform is missing in action at the very launch. As soon as we get any more information from Spotify we’ll pass it on.

We have also noticed that the web app store is not showing Spotify at the moment but it is still possible to search from a WP7 device and grab the app from there. We're unsure if this is a sign of the app being hidden in lieu of an update or just web store oddities.

You can download both Rdio and Spotify (Windows Phone 7.x) from the Windows Phone Store

Comments

Hiiiiiiiii says:

Not good enough

Rotten Apple in every bunch

Bruno H says:

Any news regarding a windows 8 version of spotify?

wp8nyc says:

Ummmmm.... Did you even read the article?

David Ray says:

Windows 8. Not Windows Phone 8. Did you even read his question? ;)

muitosabao says:

Very sloppy from Spotify, that this is not available at launch time. WP8 and the SDK have been announced for months, and still they announce in their foruns that this will be ready soon, Q1 2013, which can mean anything from 1 month of wait to 4 months. Lots of people voicing their discontent and cancelling their premium accounts http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Windows-Phones-Blackberry/Spotify...

futurix says:

SDK wasn't available until the end of October - and I'm not sure that Microsoft would provide early access to Spotify, seeing as they are competitors now.

agm353 says:

I switched to Xbox Music from Spotify because of this

simpkijd says:

I think you'll like Xbox music better than Spotify...  I'm much happier..

markpbennett says:

really? im trying xbox music as an alternative....but cant seem to find a way to make playlists on the fly(which you could in spotify on ios)....unless you dont mind adding one or all songs from an album to a playlist..and no others.
think its poor of spotify not to even provide an ETA for their new win8 mobile app though:(

I have been a premium member with Spotify for over 4 years and have been very pleased with their service, since purchasing Windows 8 I have kept my spotify subscription but also subscribed to Xbox Music as Their catalogue is far bigger.
That said however I have cancelled my subsrcription today for the following reason, continuously Xbox albums fail to download completely resulting in several tracks only playable for about 2 minutes even though they state they are 3 to 4 minutes. Although Spotify has gone dark several times throughout my subscription I have never had an issue with subscribed albums.

mr_808 says:

I can't find Photosynth on the app sotre either.  WTF?

wp8nyc says:

I can't either..

TMorss says:

I cancelled my spotify and moved to Xbox Music when I discovered this. Same features Same Price + built into my Xbox. I am happy so far.

garak0410 says:

How do you create playlists with XBOX Music to be synced with Windows Phone 8? I cannot find a way to do it...if I use Windows Media Player, it will not sync XBOX Music Pass songs...

rijald87 says:

Quit my spotify because of this bad app for wp7

starspec says:

the spotify app for wp7 has been trash, and its been neglected since its release. i didnt expect anything when wp8 came out. ive been happy with the zune pass for long time now.

cdd543 says:

I need a decent spotify app--integrates into my sonos as well so I don't want to switch to xbox music.

dzdj says:

I ended up just getting Xbox Music. It has been working brilliantly for me :)

bobdonkey says:

Spotify are loosing a lot of customers over this, check out all the rants at the forum http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Windows-Phones-Blackberry/Spotify-on-Windows-Phone-8-alternatives/td-p/184114/page/6. I would move to xbox music but a) we have Sonus and b) we have a macbook.

bobdonkey says:

And when I say a lot, I mean probably a few!

Lilleverden says:

If you want spotify to wp8, spotify directs you to add kudos on this page. So do it, I have :)

kimlo91 says:

I'm going to move my Spotify playlists to deezer and cancel. There's a few applications that let you transfer from Spotify to deezer.

Gottfrid63 says:

Spotify app now available for WP8 .