Windows Phone vs BlackBerry

UK Windows Phone users may go above BlackBerry's

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

From the Forums

What made you buy Windows Phone in the first place?

WPCentral News

Are you buying a new Windows Phone soon or waiting for new hardware?

Hotel Tonight app debuts on Windows Phone, special promo code available

Lumia 630 now available in Russia, Lumia 930 up for pre-order

How To

How to share your Windows Phone's internet - whether or not your carrier wants you to

Developers

Microsoft opens up OEM portal, build your own Windows Phone

Developers

Microsoft to host new Publish Windows developer days with awesome prizes

From the Forums

What visual glitches have you discovered in Windows Phone?

Microsoft reportedly waiving Windows Phone license fees for some hardware partners

From the Forums

Case or No Case for your Windows Phone?

From the Forums

Windows Phone hardware buttons, where do you stand?

Microsoft announces upcoming spring update for Windows 8.1

Developers

Meet UI CENTRIC, a consultancy creating incredible apps for Microsoft platforms

Developers

Microsoft working on reduced certification times for Windows Phone apps

Microsoft reportedly considering Android apps as a solution for Windows Phone

Official WPCentral apps updated today with fixes and new features

From the Forums

What’s your favorite Windows Phone screen size?

Windows Phone reportedly grabs 104% Year-over-Year increase for 2013

Reinvented around you

New Windows Phone 8 ad campaign set to air tonight on TV

The other day we mentioned how the Windows Phone team was preparing the first wave of an ad campaign, with the slogan of Windows Phone being "reinvented around you". To jog your memory, the two videos we've seen so far feature Gwen Stefani and Jessica Alba. We've just received word that those videos will begin airing tonight in the U.S. with new ones featuring Andy Samberg and Cam Newton coming in later weeks.

You can also look for additional ads to start appearing in the UK, France and Germany. What's interesting, is that Microsoft will take a local approach to those markets and use relevant celebrities and apps to highlight the platform.

In addition to television spots, the company is planning a myriad of marketing options:

"There are digital components spanning integration with top sites and social media, custom TV spots, out of home and print featuring some more ordinary and extraordinary personalities. In partnership with carriers and OEMs, we are training all of their RSPs and providing in store challenges that will put Windows Phone head to head with the competition while shining a brighter light on the OS than we have in the past."

Maybe we'll see a return of something like the guerilla marketing of "Smoked by Windows Phone", which to me was a great way of getting actual handsets into consumers hands while highlighting the strengths of the platform.

So far this seems like a good start to marketing Windows Phone, we'll be able to see by January how effective it is. Oh yeah, we've also heard to look out for a Jay-Z television spot as well, maybe with the phrase "I got 99 problems but a static tile ain't one".

Comments

New writer:) Welcome!

Sam Sabri says:

Thanks man! I'm excited to see the campaign kick off, hopefully a nice uptick in WP users will be the result :)

WillBrown says:

Welcome, Sam!
I was wondering what happened to Go Windows Go.

vtective says:

Like your writing style already. Good luck, here. BTW- the full 30 second Gwen Stefani ad is live on YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3CVBJ0FaCuU.

Is on baby ,Microsoft make me proud of my Lumia 920 best phone on the world .

Hi Sam! Nice write up, and like you, I'm excited to see the ads!
I know people are seeing and recognizing Surface, because when I show mine off, they're like "oh yeah! does it really snap?" I just smile and say, "YEP!" as I re-click the keyboard.
Windows Phone needs this same attention-grabbing promo.

Sam Sabri says:

I like everyone of you. Well, most of you. My Surface is a head turner at the local coffee shops.

NIST says:

I heard that.

Jeff Kibuule says:

I'm just glad we'll be getting the same marketing campaign in the US as Europe. For some reason, we always get the stupidest of ads. Nokia Europe commercials were good. Nokia US commercials and the "smartphone beta test" was terrible.

I would have liked those ads if it had not turned out to be a buggy phone launch AND so quickly replaced by the 920 with WP8. It was a bad call on that.

jsnod25 says:

Welcome Sam, good write up. And yes, I feal like I was a beta tester with my lumia 900... Oh well.

Exactly, it turns out it WAS a Beta Test for the 920 and now us 900 owners are stuck. =(

PolishHitta says:

Spam the commercial like they've been spamming the forgotten Blackberry Storm or Galaxy S3. People will go for any device that they see on TV these days.

karelj says:

Never saw any of the 'smoked by windows phone' bits on tv. A wasted opportunity by MSFT right there.
Also, in my personal opinion, I have yet to see a commercial that really made an effective impact for me. I would love to see commercials - with or without celebs - that focus on the People Hub and how it ties into the Me Tile for social network updating.
Then another for the Photo hub with highlights on sharing photos to various networks. Possibly one centered around the Skydrive integration.
And how about some ads with people who switched from IOS and Android to WP.

ymcpa says:

I completely agree on the people hub. For me it is a killer feature. No other platforms integrates email, phone, texts, and social networking in one spot like windows phone does. I think people using their phones for work don't care as much about apps as getting all their communications needs accomplished and efficiently as possible. I've used iphones and android devices. They can't do what the people hub does.

Milk21 says:

Agree completely. Isn't it funny how a lt f people were looking for the 'new' feature in WP8 to get people away from apple and google. Features are already there in WP7 people! Maybe they should just be highlighted more.

AdamMGregory says:

Would love to have one of the new phones if I could find one or have my vzw preorder arrive.

chucky78 says:

LOL Love the Jay-Z Line

Sam Sabri says:

I got 99 problems but creativity ain't one. .... ..wait a minute...

ThePKReddy says:

J-Zune ain't one

pierrerv says:

Sweet molly Holly

T-rom09 says:

I'm so happy they are starting a big ad campaign tonight. I wonder how many people who see an ad and want to buy a windows phone will actually walk out of a store with one or order one and have it shipped the same day?
Ugh, I know they don't want to underestimate demand and have phones lying around, but this is ridiculous.

NIST says:

The new Gwen and Jessica ads look real good.

sanshiro says:

FINALLY! Clear, stylish, and hopefully effective WP marketing.

cae758 says:

The Jessica Alba ad came on while watching either The Colbert Report or The Daily Show via Hulu Plus on Apple TV.

aerosmillie says:

Full swing here in UK. TV and Internet spots.

bigsbyfb says:

Welcome, Sam.

Sumedh Kumar says:

First , welcome Sam. :-)
Second , I think it's time for ios and android to find some corner immediately to run and hide :-)

birdman_38 says:

I saw an ad for Windows Phone while watching "Criminal Minds" with my gf last night. Felt proud.