Analysis

Apps you lose in switching from a Lumia to HTC Windows Phone

Microsoft rolls out updates for MixRadio, Display and Network+

Nokia updates Network+ again

Use your main camera for selfies with the latest Nokia Glam Me update

Nokia unleashes updates for Ringtone Maker, Network+, Touch, Care and Treasure Tag

Nokia update roundup: Video Upload hits 2.0, Cinemagraph and Access Point with fixes

Nokia launches Gift Voucher promotion for select UK Lumia Windows Phones

Nokia bumps Network+ system app to support dual-SIM Windows Phones

New Car app from Nokia helps you out while driving

Nokia releases new Pocket Magnifier app, updates Glance for 8.1, refreshes others

Nokia releases 'spaceselfie' app to take an out of this world photo

Nokia teases Imagin8 camera app, turns ‘any environment into a digital playground’

Nokia adds personalized notes in latest Glance screen update

Games

Nokia releases Modern Mayor, a 'Green' SIM City game exclusively for Lumias

Nokia returns Storyteller to Lumia Windows Phones, updates Nokia Camera

Games

Miniclip's Hot Rod Racers speeds onto Nokia Windows Phones

Nokia Weather Channel gets updated, loses some features

Updated with Lumia Black? Grab Nokia Beamer and StoryTeller from the Windows Phone Store

Camera Beta app released for all Lumia Windows Phones with Nokia Black or Amber firmware updates

See exactly how long you've been on the phone with the latest Lumia Network+ update

< >

Minor update goes out for ‘Call + SMS’ settings on some Lumias

Every once in awhile, companies decide to rename things for whatever reason. Today it appears to be Nokia’s turn as they have pushed out an update for the ‘Call + SMS’ section on Lumia phones. The area (which many 810/820/822/920 users can find under Settings) is for network specific changes for call waiting (enable/disable), call forwarding (network dependent) and SMS character sets.

For some odd reason, Nokia is evidently changing it from ‘Call + SMS’ to ‘Network+’.  So if you see that update, that’s what changes. Whether or not there are some under-the-hood changes as well or if this is going out to all phones, we cannot verify at this time.

Thanks, Sean J., for the tip

Comments

TMavC5 says:

Daniel, is this done automatically?

Goodeye says:

It updated via the WP 8 app store

Danielrego says:

Its an update thats done through the market place. So you have to manually update it like any other app that would be updating.

hfcas says:

In my settings, that's still Calls+SMS. I don't receive any updates and I can't find app 'Calls+SMS' in the store either. Is this specific to some Lumia 920s?

Blau34 says:

So everyone notice it.
The Os can be updated partial. Nice.

Prodigy11 says:

Expect Nokia to update Lumias frequently :)

isi mcf says:

I got this update yesterday but its still called "call+SMS"

Garminblast says:

Hopefully Nokia will re-add flip to silence and counters app for WP8 (no data sense on SIM free phone). As unrelated subject, has anyone noticed that is hard to switch on the Dolby function as the screen will not remain static. Still waiting for separate volume controls for media and ringing/messages. WP certainly isn't so good that I miss my Lumia 710.

Cristoby says:

If the spanish optimization is what I think it is, it could potentially double the allowed max characters per SMS. Currently (AT&T) if you use Spanish-specific characters in an SMS the max length is only 70 characters. By changing the character table and tagging the SMS as a Spanish one, the length allowed goes over 150. What's nice about it is that it does not affect the ability to write in English. This setting should be a Windows Phone OS one, not just Nokia.

This is reported in the suggestion site, with a low vote count. Although multi-language usage implies more than just a quick keyboard switch, it is certainly an uncommon usage scenario, thus the low vote count.

Munkeyphyst says:

I noticed today that when I sent a short text out that included the ° symbol (press and hold 0) it sent as two texts at 70 characters.

Now if I could get all my phone updates pushed out this way it would be fantastic.

I was Hoping this had to do with SMS alert tones (custom). I van dream can't I?

I wish we had this option that I had on my phones 3 years ago -.-

YianniGR says:

Wish i had this update to my htc 8x also..In Greece and max characters in sms when writin in greek is 70..

wptom says:

That is very strange as Greek characters are part of the GSM7 character set which is used when you have an SMS of max length 160. That your max length is 70 is indicating that your short messages are sent in Unicode which is really a waste. Somebody did not have much knowledge of SMS when designing this. :(

Mystictrust says:

Even after updating, there is still no information in there for call forwarding. Sucks, because I use call forwarding (mainly for YouMail). Hmph. I guess I'm reduced to GSM network codes.

lancguy says:

Got mine earlier this evening. No issues to report

bsd107 says:

I am on ATT with a 920, I have the Call Waiting choice and the Character Set menu (with the same choices as shown above).  BUT, it is still called "calls+sms" for me....

TheDvlsAdvc8 says:

This update FUBAR'd my phone last night. I actually had to reset and restore (which turned out to be a fairly slick process that didn't need the PC). After installing this update, I couldn't text or make calls, and using built in features like people and me tikes would just crash and return to start. Sometimes they would open up completely empty.

My restore was to the previous days settings/apps, and I haven't received notice to update this network+/calls+SMS thing since.