Cyan Updates!

Cyan update hitting Lumia 920 users in UK, Italy and Spain

Cyan on AT&T

Lumia 520 and 925 on AT&T finally get Cyan and 8.1

Lumia 928 and 920 used for some hilarious hijinks in new Kraft Mac-n-Cheese ad

Lumia 620 supplants Lumia 920 as the second-most popular Windows Phone

From the Forums

Windows Phone disasters – 'My Nokia Lumia 920 melted last night'

Cases

Cases and Covers for the Nokia Lumia 920

Windows Phone 8.1 caught running on a Lumia 920

Lumia Black hitting Nokia Lumia 920 on Rogers today

Deal Alert: Nokia Lumia 920 available for just £169 at Tesco UK

Lumia Black now available on EE for the Lumia 920

Lumia Black now available for the Nokia Lumia 920 on AT&T (Update: Lumia 820 too!)

WPCentral News

Owned a Nokia Lumia 920 since the beginning? Tell us how it’s holding up

Featured

Grand Theft Auto San Andreas escapes to Windows Phone, but without Xbox Live

Get the Lumia 920 for just $200 on eBay, then head to Amazon for Xbox Live Gold savings

Deal alert: Save big on a Windows Phone from AT&T

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 receiving the Lumia Black update, India and Italy among first countries

Nokia Lumia 920 reportedly gets jailbroken, but there are more questions than answers

Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920

Fixing the 920

Some of you in the forums and comments have been noting that you are getting a "bricked" Lumia 920's after doing a reset. The term is technically not correct here as you can revive the phone with a neat little trick. The fix reported so far was just returning the device to the store, which is far from ideal especially if you bought it online. Thankfully, the Windows Phone Central Forums came through with a trick that should get your bricked 920 back up and running.

The instructions are detailed and concise and include a video to help get you back in the game. Read on to fix it.

Download the following files:

1. NaviFirmPlus 1.7 (new link)
2. Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.45.4.5 (new link)

Unzip NaviFirm to a directory of your choice.
Install Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.45.4.5

NaviFirm Directions:
1. Run NaviFirmPlus executable
2. Under Products window scroll down to Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-820) *AT&T Only!!!
3. Under Releases window choose 1231.2109.1242.1001
4. Under Variants window choose your color, in my case for RED i was file (RM-820_NAM_ATT_US_VAR237330_V1_Red (059N5T7)
5. Under files window make sure all the files are selected.
6. Click the Download Button
7. Wait for ALL the files to completely download, the FFU file will be 1.02GB in size.
8. When complete, browse to: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages
9. Create a folder called Products
10. Create a folder called rm-820
11. You should now have a directory like: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820\
12. Browse to the NaviFirmPlus folder you extracted
13. Open the FW folder and then the folder of the firmware you downloaded.
14. Copy the entire folder contents and paste it into the C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820\ directory.

Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.45.4.5 Directions:
1. Launch Nokia Care Suite
2. Click the Product Support Tool for Store 5.0
3. Click File
4. Click Open Product
5. Choose RM-820 (Nokia Lumia 920)
6. On the bottom left click Programming
7. Click Recovery
9. Click Start
10. The software will check the package contents, it will fail to find the phone, and ask you to reboot and give you a button to click retry.

Phone Directions:
1. Plug the phone into your PC
2. Hold the Volume Down and the Power button, click RETRY on the Product Support Tools Window
3. After you feel a vibration in the phone immediately release the Volume Down and the Power button and hold the Volume up button.
4. Continue to hold the volume up button, you will see the software say "Rebooting"
5. After about 15 seconds you will see a top NOKIA logo and the software will start flashing the phone.

We ourselves don't have any bricked 920's to try this on, but if you find yourself in a similar situation and are about to return the device, give it a shot and let us know if it works for you. Big shout out to itxjobe for doing this for the community.

Source: Windows Phone Central Forums, Image from Windows Phone Central Forums

Comments

elvisff says:

In US, if you bought from AT&T online you should be able to do an exchange in store. I did this with my L900.

Sam Sabri says:

But then you'd have to put pants on.

This is for those that want to do something themselves before heading down to the store, both valid methods to get a working 920.

CheekyTaurus says:

This fix should come in handy since going to a store seems to be a fruitless exercise since there doesn't appear to be any 920 stock anywhere

hasasimo says:

This is helpful for me, because even though I have a locked AT&T Lumia 920, I bought mine online through Ebay. Thankfully I'm not experiencing any problems worthy of a hard reset, but if I do and my device bricks, I'd much rather fix it myself than go through the hassel of back-and-forth email and regular mail. Plus mine is yellow... fat chance of finding a replacement to exchange in-store.

tzur sayag says:

First , thanks for the detailed info, I'm right now in the process.
my 920 came ok, drained battery and now will not charge or boot, will just show for a few seconds the nokia logo and hangs there. I'm told its a known boot loop issue where the power is not enough to boot.
anyhow, I'm ok with flashinga new rom (if this works), but mine is from microsoft's confreernce, unlocked to everything, if I flash through these instructions I get a locked at&T phone? can I then reflash with an unllocked version that fits my country?
thanx,
-t

tzur sayag says:

First , thanks for the detailed info, I'm right now in the process.
thanx,
-t

Jeff Stucker says:

In the NaviFirm list, there are downloads for many countries.  If you do get your drained battery issue resolved, please let me know how you did it.  Mine is in the same battery-drained-endless-boot-loop brick state right now, and I'd love to fix it.

Ankur Singh says:

I have a bricked HTC 8X, is there a fix for that? Pls help

Can I do this on my Mac?

Tomasz S. says:

I don't think there's NCS for mac. And for those on Windows - last time I used NCS it was necessary to run driver setup from the folder where NCS got installed, for the WP7 phone to be properly detected (that may have changed with WP8, I dunno).

mjfadaway says:

Is it a good idea to reset your phone right away when you get it to make sure you're in the clear?

WPCrook says:

My HD7 has served me well for the past 1.5 years, but I feel a change is in order now that my contract is finished. Nokia Lumia 920? I think so.

WPCrook says:

But I seriously hope this isn't something I'll be doing in the future, ever.

jcagga says:

Wow bricked windows phone, lumia fail?

Bernard Wei says:

All you have to do is pull the cable or do a force power down during firmware update. It works on most smart phones if you wish to create a brick.

jcagga says:

That is intentional though. The problem with lumia is unintentional.

gemini5150 says:

Its funny I bricked my first phone when I returned it. I did a wipe of the memory and it stood with the cogs spinning for 25 min. I decided to just hard reset and all that would happen was it would light up Nokia and do nothing. I got the replacement and did the exact same thing to it as well. Haha. The att guy was new so he said it was just a bad batch. I don't even think he understood what I meant when I said its bricked... but they game me a second replacement right after. I can't believe I bricked to phones.

Bernard Wei says:

NCS 5 works for L900 when I force power down at the end of firmware update.

TMavC5 says:

This is great!  Thank you!!!!

henry.gray says:

hahah, so funny, Nokia been making phones for so long and Windows Phones roughly a year yet still you can brick your phone from a reset.

sicnus says:

INB4 ANOTHER NOKIA EXCLUSIVE

hfcas says:

Just wondering whether Lumia 920 dev edition (from BUILD 2012 with RM-820_nam_canada_246) can use the firmware for AT&T?

sirkirby says:

interested to know that as well. seems like it should, however the build phone has some extra radios in it.

AFTER selling my BUILD 920 phone on EBAY, I just bricked it when I performed the reset. I couldn't find the firmware RM-820_nam_canada_246, but I was able to install the Rogers RM-820_nam_canada_200, and the ATT RM-820_nam_att_100 firmware. The Rogers firmware would not read my ATT SIM, but the ATT Firmware was able to read my ATT SIM.

Yesua Garcia says:

hi, my 920 is having some issues, so I´m trying to upgrade it.   it shows rm-820_nam_att_100 in the model, and I noticed you tried to use that firmware,
I have not been able to find it.  can you send me the details on where to find it?  thanks!

Evandro Reis says:

Yes, it can. But it will turn your phone into a locked AT&T phone (I had to reset mine, it bricked). I just installed the AT&T firmware and now my SIM is not recognized. Does anyone in here have access to the firmware for the BUILD 2012 phones?

My phone just stopped working last night. Had plenty of charge, so I just happened to try the power volume down button and it started up right away. So far so good not sure what made it just stop working.

blnwp says:

If only I knew this last week. I'm still waiting for my replacement 920 to arrive after the device bricked.

jmajid says:

thanks for the info and the tip. Hopefully never need it, but will bookmark this in case i do.

MediaCastleX says:

...and this is why I'm happy with the 820/810, that whole unopenable device gag will get'cha =[

vineefame says:

Artists images are not showing up in wp 8 Xbox music when a song is played as it used to show up in wp7 zune music :(...
Any Solution???

Sicarius123 says:

It happens for music of your own that isn't linked to the Xbox music artist properly, or atists on Xbox music who don't have an artist picture.

If you want to set your own picture, check out MPAtool in the marketplace.

WPenvy says:

Obviously the video wasn't taken with a L920 using OIS

firewolf006 says:

... how did i manage to brick my phone 5 hours after this was posted? I was trying to reset because i was having an issue with my stereo bluetooth headset, and the Lumia 920 not playing nice anymore. I reset, but little did i know it was gonna turn into a 3 hour headache...

Backup and Restore works awesomely by the way...
well... 5 of the 50- something didn't install, and then i encountered the reBuy store glich on PhotoLock

-i have a Red Lumia 920

inffy says:

The links don't work anymore?

itxjobe says:

Hi,
I wrote the tutorial, I had to update the source for the files because dropbox banned me, I will email the editor and have him update the hyperlinks in my article.
You can grab the new links from the forum post however, it is linked on the bottom of this article or in the Lumia 920 forums it is stickied.
~itxjobe

hi are you able to provide the new links? i have a proto lumia 920 and want update it :-)

Sam Sabri says:

Thanks. We'll update the post!

Vincent Lui says:

I am having a lot of trouble download Nokia Care Suite from the link you have provided. Everytime I run the install, it will stop half way with a data1.cab file corrupted.

jverket says:

Been doing this for my bricked 820. I scootted around until ifound ATT US 820, but when i got to the open product part in nokia suites, i couldn't find one for the 820 or even the 920? Just 800, 900, 710, and 610?

Ahmet Arsan says:

This worked perfectly for me. Bricked it this morning due to hard reset, back up and running now. Thanks!!

Richard Maus says:

In the evening with about 15% charge left on my 920 I was waiting to see when it would shut down automatically. Instead it hung with the home screen showing. I tried every combination of buttons but nothing woke it up. I figured the lit display would eventually run down battery till dead. Went to bed hoping it would be really dead an cold by morning. It was and when I plugged in the charger it responded normally with a boot. I typed in the PIN and it came back normally and has been working fine for a whole day since. I think letting the battery go really dead acted like removing the battery which allowed a full reset. I'm optimistic nokia/Microsoft wil have a fix upgrade soon. Love the phone.

RonnieJP says:

I must be doing something wrong.  The Nokia Care Suite installer file is only 146kb.

SpidermanXP7 says:

WOW, THANK YOU.  I was unable to recieve text messages so I followed the directions on nokia for reseting to factor default and my phone got stuck on the gear screen.  Then Holding down power, wolue down and camera to do a hard reset made it stay on nokia logo screen.  Followed the directions above and my Lumia 920 works again Woot.  Still cant recieve texts but I think that is a sim problem.

st0ne12 says:

Faced with such a problem: Make everything as described, but after flashing show 26Gb, 29Gb and not as it was. Place the second system, or what is it?

n7slc says:

Can't get Nokia Care Suite to install. It wants the VC++ 2005 installed but I've already installed it multiple times and rebooted to make sure it's clean.

My 920 is bricked, help!

Evandro Reis says:

Do not install it separately. Let NCS do the job. If it is already installed, I recommend:

1. Create a System Restore point
2. Uninstall any VC++ 2005 runtime package already installed.
3. Install NCS and restore your phone.
4. Restore your PC to the System Restore point so that you can have your original configuration back.
Don't forget the run the application as administrator.

pickypg says:

I had a phone brick itself in a hard reset, and this is exactly what I needed to do (though I wish I had seen your post):

1. Uninstall all versions of the VC++ 2005 that you have installed except version 8.0.59193. This is the version that the first dialog gives the link too.
  2. Install .NET Framework 4.0 that it links too (I suspect any version of this will do however).
  3. Download the firmware using the provided tool.
  4. Plug the phone into a USB 2.0 port--plugging into a USB 3.0 left it undetectable by the software.
  5. Follow the rest of the steps above.

I suggest that you either have a restore point, or you go and install the latest versions of the VS 2005 runtime (to avoid system vulnerabilities) after unbricking your phone, but the installation software is clearly targetting a specific version of the VC++ 2005 runtime.
By the way, simply due to the type of installer, this entire process is limited to Windows (for anyone that wants to do this on a Mac).
For those that did not install it: the installer does not automatically install the VC++ 2005 SP1 runtime that it wants, but it does provide a direct link to get it. Similarly, it does not install the required full installation of the .NET 4.0 framework, but it does provide a link to that as well.

stonedauwg says:

I had to do the exact steps pickypg said, but everything worked like a charm once i did.  Mucho props to the OP and pickypg!!!

Jeff Stucker says:

My 920 is caught in an endless boot loop due to low battery.  Any guidelines on how to get this process to work in this instance?
When I click Retry, it seems to start doing something, then the phone reboots again and the computer and phone lose connection.  If I hold the Volume Up button, it will cycle through indefinitely, every time I click Retry.  Leaving the phone plugged in, sometimes a Nokia logo appears, sometimes a huge low battery icon appears (as if charging), and sometimes an AT&T logo (with text "Rethink Possible" underneath logo).  That's as far as it gets.
Also, holding Volume Down and Power buttons don't produce expected behavior.  The short vibra happens after I release them and it starts to reboot.

okitu says:

if anyone else has this problem, try to install the "WinUSB Drivers x64.msi", which can be found here after installing the care suite: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Drivers"

after i installed these drivers, the flashing finally worked!

Nirre says:

Just rocoverd a bricked lumia 920 i bought in germany... with the swedish Rom included in the pack! Awesome! Thank you so very very much! /Nirre

jason sines says:

I'm a long time iphone user and thought I'd try Lumia, only to find out my Lumia 920 was "bricked" the moment I got it home.  This fixed it!! Thanks a ton for the article and loosk like I found my new resource website!  Thank you

John Gary says:

Thanks it worked.  My lumia 920 was bricked after I tried to restore it back to original settings.  But now Im in the clear.........time was roughly an 1 hour and 15mins......yay!!

This was a total lifesaver :) You just hacked my phone :) Thanks a lot!!!
I have no idea how my phone got bricked, I took it out of my pocket to check the calendar, and the screen was just dead....
I really didn't think any of this would work, was very, very surprised when I felt the small vibration upon holding down volume and power!!!!
awesome! :) :) :) :)

meteciftci says:

I do everything but in ProductSupportToolForStore programming button disabled, i couldnt push it? i didnt found the problem? is there anyone to help me?

kimlo91 says:

For those getting an error Please install VC++ 2005 or 2010 redistributable this is what fixed it for me.

Go to add or remove programs/programs and features.

Uninstall anything that says Microsoft 2005/2010/2012 redistributable and restart computer.

Make sure your computer is fully up to date (I'm on Windows 8 x64 for reference.)

Download and install 2005 VC++ SP1 and 2010 VC++ SP1, both x64 and x86 versions and restart.

If done like me when you open add or remove programs you should have 4 Microsoft Visual C++ in the list.

Right click the Nokia Care Suite, go to properties then compatibility. Set compatibility to XP SP3, press ok, then right click and press install. You shouldn't get that error and it should now install.

Hope that helps.

sachemrebel says:

not worked for me. stilll programming link stays disabled like a cool stone. Another reason to hate microsoft and nokia

jverket says:

kennibal says:

It's not working for my Lumia 510, though supported by the Nokia Care Suite version.  Did the same steps but keeps on failing to reflash. I assume 920 and 510 both share the same buttons to work on with the procedure. Any help?? Thanks..

I love you....

worked perfectly

roxpace says:

Thanks for this guide, worked perfectly with RM-821 Sweden and black for me, why do Microsoft create so poor software that a normal reset bricks their own OS?  It's so very stupid, and I feel sad for all users who are forced to send in their phones because they can't fix it.

LordWriter says:

Hi,
What about unlocked international versions of the Lumia 920? Any solution for them available?

Thanx :-)

Does anybody know if getting a replacement fixes the brick problem? I mean, do the replacements get bricked also?

TechFan99 says:

Thanks for the guide. Works good if you FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. :)  (I like to go rouge once in a while.) I updated the Nokia Care software using the update tool and nothing worked right after that. For those of you following along at home, use the version in the link. I had the newer rom from ATT but the install/upgrade didn't seem to go well so I wanted to reflash. I used the rom that Nokia Care downloaded in combination with the rest of the steps provided here. One last note, during the phone set up it asked if I wanted to restore the old settings or start fresh. I chose start fresh since that was the purpose of the exercise. Just thought I'd mention it incase anyone else experienced this was well.

DBArgenis says:

Used this today to bring my phone back from the quasi-dead. Thanks!

Zach Parry says:

Worked absolutely perfect. Great instructions, thanks so much. I sold the phone and reset it before shipping and it became "bricked." Thought I wouldn't be able to sell it. Total wallet saver.

levrier says:

very useful indeed. My phone (Lumia920) was stuck for 45' in the reset process so I decided to hard-stop this and applied the procedure as described. Not only my phone was properly flashed, but the restore process went smoothly and all my apps have downloaded gradually. I just had to re-enter my email boxes passwords.
However, I may have installed the wrong version as 13 downloads remain pending and return an error code 8000ffff. Will try to sort this out in the coming days.

TTSQ says:

Hi,
First of all thank you for the instructions, worked like a charm, though I want to share a my XP and hope it will help some others.
1. I totally failed doing this in my Windows 7 (I've tried everything but the "programming" link never got activated.
2. I worked perfectly on my second Windowx XP system. "Peanuts to be honest"
3. On windows XP the most critical folder is located somewhere else; on the intructions above; tells us the windows 7 location as: "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820\ " where in Windows XP this location is: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821"

Hope this helps for the others..

TTSQ says:

Hi,  First of all thank you it has been really very useful and saved me a bunch of pain..
I would like to share my XP as well make some additions and hope it will help a few people to sort it out.
1. I wasn't able to get this done on my windows7 PC, "programming" link never got active and I've tried everything.
2. It worked like a charm on my Windows XP PC.
3. Also another important thing while doing with Windows XP is, the critical folder "Packages" is mentioned above is located in windows 7 : "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-820\ " ; where its totally somewhere else in windows XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821".

Hope this helps for the ones, which wanna give a try with windows XP, who failed on windows 7.
Cheers,

COLawrence says:

I got this to work on my Lumia 920. At first it errored out when plugging in the phone saying no driver was loaded for NOKIA BOOTMGR.  I then loaded all the drivers under Nokia Care / Drivers.
Worked on the very next try, took a few min and  then said complete.The phone showed a low battery with a plug blinking on it. I pluged it into the ac adapter and left it a lone for a few min and the screen came up to the fresh setup screen.
Also I downloaded my rom through the Nokia Care Suite.
Hope this info helps.

Thank you, thank you. I have a live phone again. Whetever you do, don't try to upgrade the Phone tool to the latest 2013 version. It asks for a username, obviously to stop people like us from fixing our phones. All is well!

Worked after about 10 go's :P Had the wrong software version at first! Make sure you get the 2012 v5 and if using win 8 while installing make sure to run in previous windows compatibility mode. UK EE uses rm-821 rename the folder to rm-821 and follow the other steps! Thanks for the support WPCentral

This thread just saved my phone - you guys are the best! Thank you to the author and all the valuable input by posters in the comments!
...and I guess you can add Danish Lumia 920's to the list of phones that can be recovered in this way.

rouki86 says:

Hey guys... add "RM-821 Vodafone DE...v1_Black" to the list. THANKS!!!!!

Yipcanjo says:

Just did this today....and it worked like a charm.  Thanks! :)

Excuse my ignorance i am a new wp user after giving up on ios for almost 5 years of use, I bought a new lumia 920 from ksa where it's my current residence but it seems that lot of things were blocked like I can't get nokia music and lot other valuable stuff, can I flash my phone to any other country where i can find all features and apps available?
And if I do that which firmware/country should I pick from navifirm to download? And does this voids my warranty?
i am using firmware revision number :1232.2109.1242.1002 (without 4g enabled)
Please help

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 locked to AT&T  (USA) it is not Bricked, is there a ROM in the NaviFirm package that is Carrier free? at least one that is unlocked . Can I flash my cell phone even though it is not Bricked?
How can I check my current Firmware on the phone?
THanks
Jawahar

psaengch says:

Thanks so much for this guideline. Brilliant! I've just resurrected my 920 now after resetting the phone via the Settings menu earlier this morning.

One quick note on Nokia Care Suite 5.0 (2012.40.5.8) I downloaded thought...it doesn't have Lumia 920 on the Product list. Luckily the Application Launcher offers the software update to this Nokia Care Suite, so I got now the 2013.1.3.4 in my desktop, apparently with Lumia 920 listed.
The flashing went well with no drama, and I have the phone back alive again.
Thanks again for the article. Very much appreciated.

ElarioHanna says:

plz help. how did u update the nokia care suite 5 to see the lumia 920 listed in the product list?

IT WORKED! Bricked my phone when doing a hard reset and followed these instructions step by step and it worked.  In other words if your phone is bricked and you try this and it doesn't work, you did something wrong because mine did.  Thank you oh so much for going through the hard work of finding this and uploading it for all of us WP8 users out here, you just saved me another 7-10 days without my phone.

Rex Hansen says:

Thanks for the steps guys, they fixed a bricked Nokia 920 acquired during the Microsoft BUILD 2012 conference. I had a few notes on the process:

1) I was unable to find the product that matched the original state of the device.  So under NaviFirm Directions I chose release: 1232.2109.1242.1001  and variant: RM-820_NAM_ATT_US_VAR237330_V1_Black (059L848)

2) After installing Nokia Care Suite 5.0 version 2012.45.4.5, do not update it.  When updated the Product Support Tool for Store 5.0 will prompt for a Nokia Care username and password.

3) Under Phone Directions step 4 was unnecessary.

After successfully flashing the phone, a block of AT&T apps are installed.  It's missing a few apps and many of languages from the original BUILD version, but the phone works great.

Yesua Garcia says:

I think I have the same device, and there´s no product matching it too.   when I choose a different one it sends and error about not matching.
any tricks for that?

Rex Hansen says:

Yesua, You have a Nokia 920 originally distributed at the 2012 Microsoft BUILD conference?   If so, does the specific firmware I used in my comment above work?

I cant be able to detect my phone on NCS! I tried every possible way but still no luck  :(   some body help me please as i am in india and the handset is bought from Paris, France.

michael.ball says:

The other day, I did a reset on my Lumia 920 that basically got stuck.  I had the spinning gears going for a total of 10 hours before I decided that it was a total fail.
Out of frustration, I unplugged the phone and started looking at ways to "unbrick" my phone.  My phone still had the spinning gears going while I was doing this.  I read articles on how to reflash the phone and such.  During this time, the battery finally gave out and died.
I'm not sure why I did it, perhaps out of habit, but I plugged the phone back in to charge it.  What happened next was pretty interested.  When the phone had enough juice to boot up, it showed me the setup screen.  It wasn't bricked at all.  Something was apparently just stuck in memory and the power outage basically cleared it out and allowed the setup process to continue.
Hope this helps someone out there.

My boyfriend has a Lumia 920.
It happens that the speech recognition service just cessed working. And, as well, the sound from any recorded video. In order to get the phone well again, he tried to reset it to factory. Bad luck. It bricked. So he went ahead and made this "unbrick" sugestion. It did unbrick, altough using the wrong firmware (we couldn't tell the version, since we are from Portugal and the phone was bought to Expansys from Britain, which by the way, we advise anyone NOT TO). But it happens that the phone is STILL with tha same issue. No sound from video and no voice recognition working. All the rest it SEEMS to be working. Windows Phone is just a big fail, it saddens us.
Anyone with the voice assistant problem or without sound in your recorded videos as well, know this: you're going to have a nasty time. Nokia hasn't been very helpful to us... And we can't return the phone since it passed the 30 days.
What a pain.

I think this is more the way to go.
My 920 was stuck at the spinnig wheels after I did a soft reset.
I'd just the night before updated to 'Portico'. While stuck at the wheels, my phoe started to get very warm.
Out of desperation and frustration, I took it the same day to a NCC and the firmware was reflashed.
Since then, my phone now has the screen brightness issue which it didn't before and the display doesn't seem as sensitive as it used to be.
Just wish I had the patience to wait for the battery timeout as I think that would of cleared it.

I think this is more the way to go.
My 920 was stuck at the spinnig wheels after I did a soft reset.

Thank you so much for this guide, I'm on vacation and my only phone is bricked. The speaker stopped working so I did a reset to factory default, amazing that this bricks the phone, well done MS and Nokia!
What a disaster of a phone, when I get home I'll go get a Samsung with Android.

I had something similar. I just reset mine (Cyan AT&T version), and I just purchased the Samsung Galaxy SIII. HUGE difference and I love the new Samsung. Much better than the Nokia, except for the camera. I will say that the camera (video and picture) is MUCH better on the Nokia, hands down.
But I can live with that. I hope you get your phone fixed...

Thanks VERY much for the info. This worked for me on a Cyan AT&T Windows 8 phone. I had to choose RM-820 thou, not the 821. I want to thank you for the details.

FYI, on Windows 7 the "C:\ProgramData" folder is hidden, so may need you to type C:\ProgramData into your explorer location bar.

areion says:

Great Post. Saved my day. My red 920 finally arrived. After setting it up i tried to performed a Factory Rest on my older Yellow one to sale it to a friend and that bricked it. Know its working again. Thx a lot

ASEMYON101 says:

This happened to me today when I wanted to restore my 920, so all I  did was hold the lock button and the volume up button for a couple second and it came back on and up to the start screen. Hope this helps someone.

i am from india and using nokia lumia 920..in navifirm i found my indian version..but before flashing i want to know....when i will flash lumia 920 with ncs,will it unlock the device??(sim unlock)

sorry for spelling mistake..i would like to know..after flashing..will my lumia locked???(sim lock)

hey guys..windows store is not showing automatic updates after reseting my lumia 920...when i see manualy each app like..nokia maps nd nokia drive, smart shoot...etc preinstalled..its shows their update manually...but not showing updates of all apps at once/....

About how long should this take?

happyglum says:

Amazing. This worked great.. Thank you.

Emilio Vega says:

It works but I did not have to follow the steps with the Navifirm I just went to the Nokia suit and downloaded the files from there and I got my phone back up and running

erodz18921 says:

First off let me start by Thank you cheesus !!!! this worked perfect and this garbage phone is going straight to Ebay where is will be sold because of such crap device I am  going back to the most (boring) but more stable OS in history IOS !!! I have moved around to BB WP7 and WP8 Android and all of them have gave me trouble!!! ecxept for IOS !!! and I hate Apple but I rather not have the headaches !

FOR UK PHONE OWNERS
I fixed my phone (and unlocked it) by using a firmware with a code like: cv_gb_v4. "Country Variant -> Great Britain -> Version 4". I first tried one that said "_v3" but it told me the phone would not update to an older firmware. Makes sense.

FOR ALL PHONE OWNERS
I know this has been said by others, but just to reiterate, I only needed to download "Nokia Care Suite" as you can choose and download the firmware's from there.

Good luck!

hi someone can help me? im trying on second computer and afther click os start, they start usb recovery screen and stop showing Recovery failed, unable to get error message. and do nothing!

thegooner says:

You have to have your phone unplugged when you start the process. It will then come up with a screen indicating you need to hold down Vol- and Power, at this point you plug your phone in and follow the on-screen instructions.

agaleas says:

I had the problem, when you try to turn-on the Lumia 900, it freeze at the screen “rethink possible”, after a while it turns off.
After following the steps showed in this page, the cell phone worked again, this resolve my problem.
The cellphone that I have is AT&T Lumia 900 RM-808, code:  059L6S0.

Reed Hayes says:

When I try to install Nokia Care Suite, I get this:
"This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Package."
I've tried several support websites to try to resolve this and I've gotten nothing so far.
I'm extremely frustrated.

Did the same thing for NOKIA LUMIA 810 for T-mobile: phone got stuck on NOKIA logo after battery was pulled during the RESET (seller wanted to get SIM out), worked like a charm with little modifications on model [RM-878]. THANK YOU!

gamla77 says:

Thank you so much. Saved my phone after nokia refused to help.

corwyn74 says:

Wow - it's incredible that a post on un-bricking the 920 has this many comments, despite what anyone says it is unreasonable for this phone to be bricked so easily.  I was told my Nokia customer service to hard reset mine and now it is bricked.  This is sad.

tripesband says:

Can anybody help me or give an advice?
I tried to update my Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) to 1232.5957.1308.0001 FW.
I tried this with Nokia Care Suite on OS X / vmWare Fusion.
It recognized my phone without any problem but when it started to flash it stopped with an error message and my 920 went power off.
Since then my phone totally bricked. I mean no vibrate, no logo, nothing at all.
Please, somebody help, how can I force to recognize by PC!

calchanaka says:

my lumia 620 got bricked, so now im going to install new firmware but problem is lumia 620 product not in the Nokia Care Suite,,,, plz help me

LianSon SN says:

Hi, My Lumia will either show the spannar logo or nokia logo
Try to do a firmware update, but the nokia suite wont detect my nokia phone,
Am i still able to reset it ?
FYI: When i plugin the usb there is a sound so i guess it is connected, when i look at the device manager there is no ! or ? so i guess the driver is ok

Gina Fix says:

I can not even begin to thank you enough for this post. I was able to reset my bricked lumia 920 to full functioning. I had a bumpy start getting the software to download, but after somemore investgating, I found my answers, and it worked perfectly.

atlgator says:

THERE IS A BETTER WAY!
I tried this proposed install, but could never get it right. (All the prompts for Visual Basic this and that, UAC off and on, registry edits, Nokia Care not installing, and other madness.) Then I happened on the below post. And it worked. I had the exact same result as below. Thank heavens!
from discussions dot nokia dot com.

Okay, I contacted Customer Care chat. They said:

Normally, it takes only 30 minutes at most to reset it. In the event that it would take longer, like what happened here, you can press and hold both on the volume down button and power key for about 10 seconds.

The phone should then reboot. If the phone would still be stuck to spinning gears, here is a hardware reset that you need to press.

Input these keys on the following sequence, press them one key at a time:

Volume up
Volume down
Power key
Volume down

Make sure that you try this while the phone is charged.

When I did this... the gears continued to spin for about 5 minutes, but then the phone restarted and made it back to the "Welcome to your phone" screen.  Success!

Renan Dias says:

What if my Nokia is from Europe?

John Korondy says:

http://jkorondy.com/Lumia920 will fix your problem, it did mine.

Carl Read says:

This fix worked great. The only thing that is different is the NaviFirm+ isn't able to download the files any longer since Nokia blocked it. You can find the cache files on Windows Phone message boards to put in the folder, and this allows access to the firmware files needed to flash.

Stephen Pate says:

I don't see the Properties field populate any data at the 8
 "On the bottom left click Programming
7. Click Recovery
8. You should see the firmware you downloaded and copied earlier under the Properties field."
Downloaded data is in
"C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\rm-820"
Any suggestions ?
Download is RM820_1232.5951.1249.0001_RETAIL_nam_canada_200_01_114967
Thanks

atlgator says:

People, there is a better way that I posted above. No more programming. Have a look at the below-copied post from another forum.

Input these keys on the following sequence, press them one key at a time:
Volume up
Volume down
Power key
Volume down

Make sure that you try this while the phone is charged.

texrat says:

No result using that method-- gears keep turning.

atlgator says:

It did take about 5 minutes for the reboot to normal after the reset>key sequence is entered. If you followed the instructions precisely, and it still doesn't work, that stinks.

travcrab says:

Like most my phone was stuck on the gears after a factory reset.  I left it alone for about 4 hours and it eventually died.....so I plugged it in and then googled the situation.  It led me here and I tried the key sequence above but it did not work.  So I did the whole Navifirm thing and it worked perfectly!  I had to get the latest update cache from a different forum post on the xdadevelopers website.   just followed the instructions except the release I used was the latest "1314" and it took about 5 minutes after all downloading was said and done.  I should mention that my phone was locked to at&t when I got it and I unlocked it for use on Rogers in Canada.  This procedure did not re-lock the phone and it is still unlocked and works perfectly.  Still pretty ridiculous how a factory reset can brick your phone tho.

DO U HAVE TO CONNECT THE PHONE TO UR PC WHILE DOING THIS PROCESS

Bruce Moen says:

I run the NaviFirmPlus executable and get the following exception:
"Service specific exception:
com.nokia.posti.server.caresuite.webservice.UnauthorizedFault"
Does Nokia block NaviFirmPlus?

Likewise. Apparently NaviFirmPlus has been blocked...there are some alternatives posted here: http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-8/225316-download-official-nokia-roms-without-navifirm.html

frendz07 says:

NaviFirm doesnt work anyomre

STi says:

mine got into that loop, showing gears and wont start no matter what i'v done, i tried all things people worte here
no luck. then i plugged it to my laptop which i was update with him my phone before (the packege was there already) and use the "Product Support Tool For Store" and it worked, it also gave an option to recover back or to install fresh and clean OS, i use the recovery option

Thank you for the post... i managed to flash my Lumia 920. By the way i just want to ask there are many versions. if i use latest with another country version will it not work in my phone?

Since my version is on 1232.5951.........
Will i be able to use a different viserion such as 3047.0000......

Thanks

FixAte says:

I PreOrdered my unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 black online from expansys.  It started with reboots after a few weeks, but at that stage it was a known problem reported by WPCentral, so I did not worry about it, because it will be fixed with an update.  The update came and has gone and still the reboots.  Sometimes it reboots and as soon as its ready it reboots again, sometimes an hour later, once a day, or a few times a day.  Last week all the tiles stopped updating, and I noticed a few people reported the same problem.  I decided to reset using the phone reset option under settings, and that's where the fun started.  It got stuck in the gears screen for hours, like other people experienced.  After finding this article on how to fix a bricked phone, I followed the instructions, but downloaded the update for Vodafone Australia, which is where I find myself.  The update was as described, me holding my breath, not sure what will happen when it restarts.  Will it work on Vodafone in Australia?  Well it works like a dream, and since I have done the update about a week ago, no reboots, and get this, to my surprise I also now have GDR2 on my phone.  Awesome!!!
Thanks to WPCentral and all posters!

Spinning Gears after hard reset
This woked for me:
I let my phone die, took out the sim card puuged in my phone (to the wall) let it charge for about 10 mins after the spinning gears came back up. I unpluged it did a reset by holding the voulme down button and power button when the Nokia came on the screen i used volume down then power then camera. After that I did the rest again but this time i pressed the volume up then volume down then the power than the volume down. pluged my phone back in and about 10 mins later the gears were gone and I had a sim card error message. I shut the phone off normaly put the sim card in turned on my phone and it works. I hope this can help someone.

Hi guys,
I've a Nokia Lumia 820 who is bricked and have nothing displayed on screen, no spinning gears, no lighting... So I've tried the step here and the Nokia is detected by Windows (tried on 7 x64, 8 x64, and a XP VM), but strangely detected and no detected (like plug-in and plug-out) and then the Volume Down + Power don't do anything.
Some one have idea to make my Nokia working again... (i've an old iPhone for now... help me please ! :D)
Etienne

rosty2000 says:

if you sucessfully downloaded the rm-820 (rm 820 in my case for the 920)with Navifirm and created the folder underC:/programdata... sucessfully.
then you are stuck at this part when using the nokia suite:
Phone Directions:
1. Plug the phone into your PC

rosty2000 says:

this solution sucessfully worked for me. I must confess it took me at least 2 hours. users really needs to be techsavvy to succeed with this troubleshooting. Manufacturers needs to make process like this one to be really simple. Nowadays Consumers are too busy to spend time for advance troubleshooting like this one.

NB: I was using the navifirm and add issue to connect to the dowload server to download the RM-820 for my 920.
I found that it was related to the "cache" ... apparenltly Microsoft/ nokia is now blocking this process...and in another forum an user provided a good solution by providing a kinda cache that helped mresolve the issue to allow the rom to be downloaded.
My 920 is now back in track, I saved my time and Rogers time by self repairing my phone to avoid the haslle to go through exchange/ repair

k00ksta says:

The above methods do not work anymore and now the 2.6 version Marco Bellino requires a donation?

mike13579 says:

Thanks for this! I was having trouble with my white 920 and the Nokia rep I talked to had me reset it which ended up bricking the phone. I followed these instructions and now my phone works again even though all of my data was wiped. The only issue is that NaviFirmPlus no longer connects to Nokia servers but you can find a cache file online which allows it to work.

I just did this on my Lumia 920 that crashed when doing a reset.  Only difference was I used the Rogers firmware instead of AT&T.

Thanks a lot!!!

Tom Clement says:

My wifes Lumia 920 had started failing in numerous ways (didn't keep a charge, wouldn't get text messages).   After hard booting it, the problems still occurred.  Finally, I tried resetting it, but it bricked.  We took it to the AT&T store, and they tried resetting it.  They failed, then told us we were out of luck (it was out of warranty).  They wanted us to get a new one.   Yea right.   So, I put her SIM card in an old iPhone so she'd have something to use, then proceeded to try the procedures outlined here.   I had to download the cache file mentioned in the comments (huge thanks) since Nokia is protecting access to it's web services now.  After following the instructions, (almost... see below) it has a new flashed ROM and seems to be working fine.  It's charging now and I think we may be back in business.

The small issue with the instructions was that the procedure in the phone directions:

Wasn't exactly right.   It didn't work initally, but it worked after I followed the instructions in the app, which said to hold down the 'volume down' and the power buttons, *then* click the reset button after the phone vibrated. No need to hold volume up.

midix says:

Now when Nokia has closed their firmware from public access, they still had opened a new possibility to reflash - and hopefulkly unbrick - your phone. It's called Nokia Software Recovery Tool and it is official and legal way to flash your phone to the latest official firmware. It should keep your warranty valid, unlike all those other tools (Nokia Care, Nokia Updater etc.) which are not meant for end-users.

Here it is: http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/software-recovery/ completely public and with detailed instructions for all users who got their phone stuck forever.

My 920 froze so I was doing a hard reset and now it won't turn back on. I have tried everything! When you try to soft or hard reset, it vibrates, but nothing happens. I downloaded the Nokia App for Windows to help fix it but it just kept telling me to Soft Reset and couldnt find the phone. What else can I do? Anyway to fix it by opening the phone up or something?

Stormdrunk says:

Does anyone know if this will work with Canadian Carriers like Rogers?