Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia updates Network+ again

Nokia buying Medio Systems to improve its HERE maps service

Windows Phone 7.8 and the Nokia Lumia 510 get demonstrated in new video

Yesterday we brought you some in depth information of what will be coming in the Windows Phone 7.8 update, expected to appear in China in a few weeks (presumably with the launch of the Nokia Lumia 510).  New features such as a revamped Tile design, new Tile sizes and dynamic Lockscreen wallpaper (Bing) were revealed including the current build number.

Now a new video, presumably from Winp.cn, shows the current build of Windows Phone 7.8 (8858) in action. Actually, it’s less action and more of a nice, soothing stroll on some of the more superficial changes coming in the OS update. The new tiles are shown off and we even see the Bing lockscreen wallpaper working (we’re hoping that third-party apps can take advantage of it too like in Windows Phone 8).

Overall, it’s nothing groundbreaking but it does backup what we revealed yesterday. Here the OS is in Chinese, so it may be hard to discern some of the items in Settings but the features should be obvious. Speaking of, we’re guessing that the CPU on board is only a 1GHz or so judging by the OS performance, though some of the exact and final specifications need to be confirmed yet for this device.

The Nokia Lumia 510 is expected to be for Asian markets, specifically China. It’s a low-cost handset with a 480x800 4” LCD display, 5MP camera (no front facing) and just 256MB of RAM with a 1300mAh battery. Release date is expected before the end of the year.

Thanks, hengxiang32401, for the link

Comments

tigermcm says:

Hey dan 2nd paragraph is suppose to say 7.8 right?

SSK the Gr8 says:

Its 800 MHz Dan not 1 ghz

Sri Harsha says:

Yeah, it packs MSM7227A @ 800MHz right.

Face2000 says:

This is good to see as I am still using titan 2. I will not hold my breath seeing how I'm on at&t and still don't have the tango update they promised a while back but still good to see.

scarlet0pimp says:

Thought os updates were through MS why do AT&T need to do anything?

XboxOmac says:

Updates were dependent on Microsoft, the manufacturer, AND the carrier. WP8 updates might not be dependent on carriers though (right?).

kevm14 says:

They have to test, and I guess incorporate any OEM firmware, then push it out.  My Titan is still on Mango...runs good but damn, AT&T.  It's been a year.  Not a single update.

aubreyq says:

My OG Focus says hello ;-)

jsnod25 says:

Lumia 900 here, gotten TONs of updates... I'm on build 7.10.8779.8, I've had lots of updates. Besides I thought tango was mango with language support, but no extra features, so what's the big deal?

saket87 says:

Disappearing keyboard

CJ Thunder says:

Voice texts & video texts too

Id like to see that video in English. Had to guess what the changes are

ejlee072006 says:

Im not really excited about 7.8 im looking forward to the next 930

Tomazon says:

Next Nokia 930 is to mainstream. What I'm looking forward is Windows Phone 9 :P

joshingyou says:

Pretty much the same user interface as WP8. I do speak Chinese and the settings look no different from my Lumia 920 :)

except kernal and apps every thing is near to wp8 features . even 7.9 is also spotted with some more features to add .

jcagga says:

Though pressing the startscreen has different animation (right side doesn't show where all the apps are)

Jakeway says:

Cant see quick status apps :(
Could if there if only he'd scroll down a bit.... can see font sizes either.

Jakeway says:

Also looks like zune is still there.

That music nearly turned me into a mass murderer! Just a heads up watch it with the sound off.

rodneyej says:

Right! Totally wrong track for this kind of video.... So annoying!

no news on the rooms function?

Jazmac says:

It would be interesting to see how my 900 looks without the gutter on the right side.  I wonder though how these tile changes will do to existing live tiles.  If you shrink them OR increase its size, will that blow out the live tile functionality?

vitaliano says:

You can try it by using one of the simulators in the marketplace. One example would be "windows phone 8".

The Zune Music+Video app will not be re-designed???

Hopefully this is not the final build, Zune really ticks it off.

RaRa85 says:

Ok so Ben the PC Guy showed us an early demo running on the Lumia 900. This one is running on the Lumia 510. I'll really get excited when I see 7.8 on a non-Nokia device.

xconomicron says:

I have the final build on my Titan right now.  It's pretty cool...better than the 8835 build I was using.

Anywho, for all you Titan / and Mozart users who have your phones unlocked...go and install Ultrashot's Dynamics rom over on XDA.

Cheers :)

BTW, I didn't see a Rooms function ... It is possible that this will come later?  I dunno whatever.

Bartimeo says:

Nice! Also, any Lumia 800/710 user with unlocked bootloader can install Rainbowmod 2.0 rom, which is in the final build as well.

xconomicron says:

This is the final build. But with added unlocked feats developed by Ultrashot.

jjMustang says:

The Office icon is updated like the WP8 phones. Is it supposed to be refreshed too, or is it a consistency thing, I wonder.

xconomicron says:

consistency...

Just like how the new bootscreen was updated to match MS's current logo.

Honestly the only thing I see mostly different in 7.8 is the UI.  ...of course with the added Bing wallpaper function.

jiayit says:

Does anybody need me as a Good Guy Greg? I can read Chinese, though not very well, but still manageable.
Going out now, will do it later if someone hasn't done it yet :)

luke6494 says:

Looks good. If I was still with sprint and my arrive I'd be estatic. Glad I moved to Verizon now tho.

jiayit says:

translation: (according to the texts at the bottom of the screen)
Splash screen: WP7.8 OS Demo
WP 7.8,..
has a new start screen
Uses live tiles of 3 different sizes
By changing the size of the tiles, you can get more information displayed.
Uses a new XBOX, Office & Marketplace icon.
Has the App Menu Arrow moved to the bottom right corner of the Start Screen.
Has many themes to choose from, up to 21 colours.
(nothing new in the Settings Menu, as far as I can see)
Has added Bing's Image to be useable as Lockscreen Wallpaper
Has increased settings for Internet Usage (?)
Users can enable call waiting and call forwarding.
Users can change the coding for text messages to enable longer text messages to be sent (?)
Thanks for watching :)

Sorry for bad translation, and for the question mark, I'm unsure about it.

inteller says:

oh shi this might mean mms apn settings are coming!

CJ Thunder says:

With no arrow arrow I really find that annoying. I miss tinkering sometimes...*cool it, it's just a phone Jack*

johaas says:

That music put me to sleep.

510 is launched in India......

DJCBS says:

Wait a minute...I don't see the GREY tiles colour in the settings...now...did they removed it? Or do I have it on my Lumia800 courtesy of T-Mobile Deutschland ?

'cause I'll be really pissed if they take it off...it's the one I use (in the absence of Black tiles)

Tomasz S. says:

There's no gray in WP7.5. Yours must be the OEM color, and you won't loose it with the upgrade. Also, there is "steel" in WP8 which is gray and WP 7.8 should have it too.

mayur89 says:

Greatt!!! :D

And Xbox Music+Video? This will continue Zune in the WP7.8?? This is the only thing that I did hope to comes in the update.

There's nothing different in functionality between Zune and Xbox music besides cloud functionality.

xiontechinfo says:

Lumia 510 has released in India with 7.5 mango version

suraj.das says:

Can wait to get 7.8 on my Omnia w.. Too bad can't afford a 920 or 8x :(

xiontechinfo says:

Same case with me... I too own Omnia w :(

splash112 says:

I hope the Nokia blue colour is kept fir my Lumia 800

did anybody else notice at 0:40 the marketplace app is the WP8 market place logo and when it is resized to a medium tile it changes to the Nokia Store Logo.

KevinSoloUno says:

I did get stranged by that. I don't like it :(

judas2100 says:

now when shud we expect 7.8 on our devices, I hope it doesn't start as a Nokia exclusive for a month

wpguy says:

Not to worry, it'll be a Nokia exclusive thanks to carrier inacton for non-Nokia devices.

NautBijker says:

I have a nokia, but it would not be fair.

Piro.Garay says:

I'm sure I'm not the only one to wonder what the name if the song is playing in the background... Lol. It would make a filthy DubStep...

Sri Harsha says:

It's already avaliable in India for ₹9999. You can choose from 3 different colours. Here's the link:- NOKIA LUMIA 510

Dejan D says:

i wish the 7.8 update comes soon, like on Christmas :D

Dejan,

Good news...!!!

i have a nokia lumia 510, and i have updated my phone to windows 7.8.

just go to a nearby nokia care centre and they will update your nokia lumia 510 or any other nokia lumia phone.