Joe Belfiore announces new updates, sheds some details on lock screen app

Games

Xbox Game The Harvest returns from the wastelands to Windows Phone 8

MetroMail launches for Windows 8.1, brings native Gmail support in a Modern design

Deal Alert: T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 925 available for $289 at Newegg

Visualized – Windows Phone 8 versus 8.1

Windows

Panasonic working with Microsoft to build new handheld devices for enterprise

MetroMail gaining ability to upload photos, night mode for toast notifications, and more in latest update

Editorials

Stopping the rumor mill: Windows Phone and the future of its unique UI

Microsoft makes it easier to switch to Outlook.com for Gmail users with new tools

Skype for Windows Phone gets updated yet again; introduces IM copy and paste

Official Windows Phone Central app hits version 4.4

Microsoft wants you to show your distain for Google – starts selling Scroogled products

MetroMail becomes the first full-featured Gmail app for Windows Phone 8

Official GoPro app now compatible with HERO3+ camera in latest update

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Zune Marketplace retiring as early as November 22nd

Vine for Windows Phone is now available for download

Sleeve Music updated to version 2.0 with new look and track preview

Microsoft launches marketing campaign to help keep your email private

Rotation Lock updated with lens support and custom tile colors

Samsung ATIV S Neo announced for AT&T; launching November 8th

Tip: Getting 'Search Server' to work with Gmail on Windows Phone 8

Google Settings on Windows Phone 8

Google and Windows Phone haven’t always had the rosiest of relationships. Head to the Marketplace and you’ll find a whopping single app from the Mountain View tech giant. Whatever, we can do without them and their 1st party support when we have developers picking up the slack. However, a lot of you still rely on Gmail as your web email and have no plans to switch to Outlook anytime soon. So here is a super simple trick to make your experience a bit better on your new Lumia 920 or 8X.

No Search on Server for Gmail?

Most likely you don’t want to keep your entire inbox on your phone, I personally have most accounts to only keep one week worth of content for any given account. What happens when you search for a term and the email you want is outside that timeframe? You’ll get no results. Some have reported that Microsoft removed the search-on-server feature from Windows Phone 8, though that's not entirely accurate.

The issue? How you initially set up that Gmail account. When selecting what content to sync did you chose email only or include contacts and calendar? Check out the image below and you’ll see where we’re going with this.

So the quick tip is when setting up a Google account and wishing to search for more results on the email server, you need to select “Email, Contacts, and Calendar” for your syncing choice. You can also just update the settings to include contacts and calendar in any particular account after you’ve added it.

That little trick, making sure you sync contact and calendar will let you Windows Phone connect to their Google's servers and search all your emails. You can see the option to search Google in the screenshot below.

A nifty trick that should improve your experience. If you have any other tricks you've found over the past few weeks feel free to share them below in the comment section! Maybe we can pull the best ones and do another post.

Source: Windows Phone Italy

Comments

philpeeps says:

Looks like you can just select calendar also...

The_Internet says:

It's the same in Windows 8 as well - set up a gmail account initially without selecting contacts/calendars and there's no option to add them later.

octavian90 says:

THIS IS ESSENTIAL. I activated it myself on accident..i almost returned the phone because I thought it wasn't possible to search on server.

paschott says:

I'd also add that it's worth investigating the Google Sync page when your browser is in mobile mode to all actual deletes for e-mail as well as syncing multiple calendars. I'd love a combination of move/delete/archive options that actually works well with gmail, but at least actual deleting works. Even Android's mail app doesn't seem to do that very well. :P

philpeeps says:

When viewing m.google.com/sync on WP8, I don't get a calendar option for my WP8 device, only for mu iOS device. Any thoughts?

simbadogg says:

it won't allow you to change those settings on any device other than an iphone, ipad, or ipod touch...
If you want, and you use firefox, there's a workaround you can use. Go search for addons, and download User Agent Switcher. One you have this downloaded, you can view the website w/ iOS 3.0, and then of course you can change the settings.
I used this to change the settings so that when you hit delete in the wp8 / wp7 mail app it actually deletes the message rather than just removing all labels (same as archiving). Absolutely no reason I should be archiving messages from fandango, dilbert, and my chase account balance daily. Very annoying, and very stupid of google.

mech1164 says:

I so want to get an 8X or 920. What I'm wondering is I know in Outlook in office on the pc If I want my Google calendar along with email I have to download a third app to do this. From what I've seen here does the outlook app on WP8 connect to calendar to? If so that would be a help since at the moment I'm all Google (GV, Gmail ect.)

agbva says:

If I understand your question: on the phone, from the Calendar, you will see your Outlook and Google calendar entries on the same screen. They show in different colors, but in a single place

mech1164 says:

That's cool it would at least give me the notice in one place.

brianlg says:

Great tip. I needed to search the other day and had to go to the mobile site. Thanks!

Sam Sabri says:

No problem. Figured it could be worthwhile if even only one person finds it helpful :)

gfunk84 says:

Can you set up the account initially choosing Email, contacts and calendar, and then removing the contacts and calendar afterwards while keeping search server active? I want search server but don't want contacts or calendar to sync (I don't yet have a WP8 device so I can't test this myself).
Search server works in WP7 without any need for contacts or calendar so I'm not sure why Microsoft added that extra step when setting up a Google account in WP8.

Igoran says:

You can even setup Gmail pretending it to be an "Outlook" account type;
Once asked for domain parameter,enter Gmail.com and, for the server,type m.google.com .
You'll have all the features from a real Exchange account...server search included.

simmerdownna says:

SAVIOR Igoran.

Sam's trick unfortauntely didnt work for the Samsung ATIV, but yours did. I even did a hard reboot trying to reset figuring it out.

Awesome!

Joel Santos says:

This worked. The tutorial didn't.

pankaj981 says:

The search always worked if u set it up as an Exchange account (using it on my Lumia 900 and used it on Radar for more than a year), takes 2 mins to set it up and it syncs your calendar, contacts, search works and push email works fabulously!

Denegar says:

Here's a trick: Use Outlook.com. :-P

shinygerbil says:

Is there a similar trick for a Yahoo account? I've got years of email on here...no way am I downloading all of that! (Don't worry, I use outlook email now, but still lots of places use my old email address)

quinndupont says:

I set it up using ActiveSync and server search does not work :(

clmbngbkng says:

I set it up as an Outlook/Exchange account for as well but it doesn't let me server search like it did on WP7. These are the same settings I have currently on my Focus and it works there.

nextbgates95 says:

I just get an error: "Can't Connect - We weren't able to connect to the network. If you have good reception, the problem may be on the other end. Wait a little while and try again."

C s G says:

I get that error too on my account that's set up through Exchange. The other one's that set up as regular Gmail works with this trick, even after turning the Contacts/Calendar sync back off.

kenovi says:

A lil off topic, but can we view Google Calendar entry on Windows Phone 8 after selecting Calendar to sync on WP8? I was trying on a demo phone recently and did not find such setting available.

anthonyng says:

Is anyone here able to do the contact search on google server?  I always get No Results.  My N9 and N8 never had this issue.  Setting up gmail via the posted method fixed my gmail email server side search as long as I had calendars syncing (which is fine and I got working the way I want).  Last thing I need is contacts searching :)

clemon79 says:

I am unable to get http://m.google.com/sync to load using either my 920 or Firefox (with iOS 3 enabled in User Agent Switcher). Either way, it appears to redirect to http://www.google.com/sync/index.html, which is just a page of information that links to their Help files, which in true Google style aren't much help at all. I would LOVE to set the Delete When I Say Delete, Dammit settiing, as this has always driven me INSANE. Can someone help?
EDIT: Found the issue: Google's got their redirecting screwed up. Until it's fixed, you can go straight to https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/welcome to get it to work.

Able Some says:

clemon79, OMG, thank you so much! I just began to give up... How did you find this link? Thank you thank you thank you! ))

d12south says:

This does not work any more.. after updating or even starting from scratch it wont sync and it says "attention required" and then asks for "domain" settings.
Please help !

rmtrmt says:

I was able to search more in google mail prior to the Amber update. But now I just can't and contacts and calendar are already checked as content to sync. Any suggestions?

bnbazuin says:

Same issue here. Does it have to do with Google dropping EAS support?

rmtrmt says:

It probably does. Adding my gmail as an outlook account solved the issue for me.

joe thomas says:

Tried all this, but still cant search gmail servers.  able to search on outlook only, tried removing outlook and adding gmail only but it still doesnt work.  any tip would be greatly appreciated

petersv says:

Choose "other email account" or something (last option after gmail, hotmail etc.) and use Active Sync. Use these settings:

• Gmail Exchange ActiveSync server address: m.google.com
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync domain: google
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync user name: Your full Gmail address (me@gmail.com, e.g.)
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync password: Your Gmail password
  • Gmail Exchange ActiveSync TLS/SSL required: yes

Source of settings: http://email.about.com/od/accessinggmail/f/Gmail_Exchange_ActiveSync_Set...

robertftw says:

Wow that actually worked thanks. However you tap advanced setup and not other account.

Darkwolf70 says:

Awesome!  This was the only solution that worked!!!  Thanks so much.  Lumia Black update messed up my sound, so had to reset the phone.  Upon reloading it didn't search server.  Adding as Exchange Active Sync did the trick!

Thanks that worked great for me !!!

Steve Bliss says:

Tried all above but no longer get the search on server option. I used to have that option until recently but something went wrong with my gmail acct on the WP8 (nokia Lumia 520) and i had to delete the acct from my phone & then add it again - ever since then its not worked. I've seen all the stuff about EAS & the fight with Google & MS but appears they are still supporting EAS till end of 2013 so I dont understand why this feature has apparently been disabled...