Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Official Flipkart Windows Phone app updated, adds push notifications and more

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

Joe Belfiore announces new updates, sheds some details on lock screen app

The Official Dailymotion Windows Phone app is redesigned with the latest update

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Games

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Copy This updated with Windows Phone 8.1 support and Cortana integration

Disney Expedition updated, adds FastPass+ support to the mix

Flipkart eBooks refreshes their Windows Phone app to compete with Amazon Kindle in India

Games

Xbox Game The Harvest returns from the wastelands to Windows Phone 8

Offline Map data updated for Windows Phone

Zomato gets a major refresh; brings social to restaurant recommendations

Official Facebook beta updates with bug fixes and more reliable notifications

Fhotoroom gets an updated, adds in-app store and new editing tools

Nextgen Reader updated for Windows 8, adds new Feedly Pro features and more

Simple Calendar updated, new Live Tiles added to the mix

Plex for Windows Phone 8 updated, adds Plex Sync to the mix

HTC 8X

Rumor: Microsoft set to roll out Windows Phone 8 update 'Apollo+' in Q1 2013 [Update]

Microsoft is set to fire up its updating engine for Windows Phone in Q1 next year, according to a tweet published by renowned Twitter account @Football4PDA. The account was the named source for the leaked images of the HTC Accord (HTC 8X), as well as a number of other headlines that have been published along the way to Windows Phone 8

Rum: 7

The tweet in question claims Microsoft will release an update for its recently launched mobile platform at the beginning of next year, and will be titled Apollo+. While there's little to back up said claims, it's likely to turn out to be true. We're not entirely certain what could be included in such an update to Windows Phone 8, but it would make for a welcomed gift post-holiday season for those who have recently invested in a new Windows Phone.

Notifications Centre could well be on the list of included features and functionality, as well as separate volume controls, not to mention the number of bug fixes and improvements that will surely be applied to further smooth out the user experience. Be sure to head on over to our forums to view what the community wants to see added to Windows Phone.

Microsoft pushed out the NoDo update for Windows Phone 7 in Q1 2011 - though many had issues with carriers delaying the rollout. We wouldn't be surprised if the company had a windows Phone 8 update planned for the new year. What's more is that all updates pushed out by Microsoft should be sent out OTA (Over-The-Air) to consumers- no need to plug the device into a computer.

Update: According to The Verge, Microsoft has a number of improvements on the horizon for Windows Phone. The Apollo+ update could include VPN support to enable connectivity with systems, which has been missing since the Windows Mobile days. A WiFi connection patch is also in the pipeline to allow connections to remain active (something which Joe Belfiore mentioned recently), as well as some audio enhancements.

What would you like to see in the first update rolled out?

Source: @Football4PDA (Twitter)

Comments

Sinabu says:

I'd like to see a system wide screen rotation lock option.

Papaguan says:

This! Orientation lock is still missing for whatever reason!

Racxie says:

This! And I hope they fix the calendar!

There's nothing wrong with the calendar

moverweg says:

I completely agree with the calendar improvement. Or allow 3rd party developers to create robust calendar apps without limitations. Right now my wife's Iphone has a 3rd party calendar app that smokes anything I can find on my WP8. Trust me, I have several calendar apps (eg: VSysCalendar, Week View, etc) and none of them are fully functional. They are nice add-ons but they are not robust. I'm still all in with WP but after 2+ years, my patience is wearing thin.

tallgeese says:

Your patience is wearing thin over the built in calendar?

TubbsT says:

My patience has already worn thin, had a Samsung Omnia 7 since it first arrived, great phone. Now got iPhone 5, best decision I could make! (not dissing MS as I love WP as an OS) I may come back to WP, but with the lack of third party apps (still), its a blessing I can get all the apps I require on iOS. When they're made for WP and big developers take WP seriously, im coming back, but in the mean time, technology moves to fast to still be waiting.

KoreyTM says:

"technology moves to fast to still be waiting."
You should mention that to Apple. Every phone release lately has just been a spec bump in their lineup. No true innovation, except for possibly Siri (which is debatable). Sure, Microsoft may not have the apps, but I think they have the tech that Apple is missing, especially with hardware devs like Nokia pushing the envelope.

TubbsT says:

I don't disagree with you regarding the phone, but for me personally, it's about the apps I can use rather than the phone. I love the Nokia 920 and think its specs kick Apples arse, I just wish it had the ecosystem/developer apps now that would complement a great phone and OS.

machina says:

not to criticize, but how many apps do you actually use on a normal basis?!

KoreyTM says:

Mind throwing out a few examples?

matthew550 says:

Yes! All day events now seem to show on the live tile the day before but not on the day of. Kinda frustrating, if you don't open the calendar app every day.

tallgeese says:

Yep, I noticed that.

I agree, though what I'm looking for is a feature enhancement more than a fix. With Office 365 being a powerful - and I expect popular - way to manage your information, it would really be nice if the appointment categories (and their colors), as well as shared calendars, could be seen on the phone, so you have a seemless experience between Outlook, OWA, and your phone. To me, that's the most significant update that's missing.

cannon#WP says:

I still don't understand why they haven't added it back after it was included in the pre-release 7003 build. Seems like one of the easiest things to re-add, especially since the homescreen doesn't have a landscape mode anyway.

jcagga says:

The only phone that has screen rotation lock is dell venue pro. I can't appreciate how useful it is when viewing web pages. Oh and it has portrait keyboard too =] I plan to hold on to it for as long as venue pro like phones come along.

machina says:

Orientation Lock is a must!!

+ they should fix the opening of multiple windows of Messaging app in multitask menu (even when you're txting the same person!)

+ and add a close button to open apps in multitask menu, or Swipe up to close..

erzhik says:

Seriosuly..we need that goddamn orientaion lock. This is embarassing.

nizzon says:

+100000000000

apocacrux says:

The orientation lock is the last thing on my list of must haves. I have no other complaints with the OS.

snakechia says:

Me too! I hate the screen keep rotating! ;)

poddie says:

YES please orientation lock!  Really annoying when using the phone in bed!

tallgeese says:

Yes, make it so!

kingraven says:

1920x1080p resolution support, notification center (although I don't care deeply for one at this time), swipe-to-close gesture when using multitasking view to quickly close out certain applications, WiFi calling, DirectX support (which was touted during the initial press conference for Windows Phone 8 earlier in 2012), and an assortment of fixes for freeze bugs and improved battery life.  I've also noticed WP8 devices such as the Lumia 920 bootup considerably slower than WP7 devices.  I did a restart test against a Samsung Galaxy S3 and my Lumia 920 lost by about 10 seconds!  However, my old Titan 2 beat the S3 by nearly 10 seconds.  What has happened to WP8!?

Mattyh95 says:

Sheez was nodo only this year?! I thought it was Last yr? :P

Rippin2 says:

Hope its true, would make sense. Alot of WP8 devices being sold this Holiday season, have to address issues quickly...

workingcloud says:

NoDO was the update sent out Q1 2011, not this year right?

Mattyh95 says:

That's what I thought?!

Post has been corrected.

John Kwon says:

Rotation lock, please! Also, an option to add name and email address or other contact info on the lock screen.

Munkeyphyst says:

There are apps that do this by creating a background screen with your text.

ousooner314 says:

I would lke to see separate volume controls and a notification center. Also, are current WP8 users wiling to wait that long for bug fixes? Seems it would be best if they rolled out bug fixes sooner (depending on how widespread and severe they are).

If they were to add a notification center, they would remove Live Tiles. Then it would just be a list of applications.

ousooner314 says:

I see both working together without any issues. Live tiles are great for a quick glance, but notification center can provide greater detail, and can show updates for all the apps in one place. It's also beneficial for apps (offering push notification) that are not pinned to the Start screen. So, I think both can co-exist without causing redundancy.

poddie says:

Yes, there is absolutely no reason they can't both exist on the same device.

rodneyej says:

Who says??? We need both!

mpelti says:

can we get past this already? Live tiles are basically widgets with rules. Most of them aren't that different than the counter badges iOS has used for years, and even iOS eventually saw the need for a centralised notification center.
Just this weekend I had multiple instances of "why did my phone just beep?", and none of my tiles were showing anything.

nizzon says:

Its kind of minboggling that people dont get this by now.

poddie says:

I don't understand why people can't understand this either...

snailium says:

I think the user needs both of them.
Live Tile for the current imformation presentation, while notification is for re-cap any old information (most likely toast notifications).

Munkeyphyst says:

Yeah, like a "timeline" of toast notifications.

IMjBI says:

Swipe left gets the apps, swipe to the right gets notifications. Like on the N9, keeps it simple with 3 main screens.
[Notifications]   <-  [Home]   ->  [Apps list]

mclark2112 says:

And louder volume!

NXH says:

I like this idea. +1+1+1+1+1

jarail says:

I'd prefer a swipe down from the top of the screen. Then it can be available as an overlay from anywhere, not just as part of your home screen. Like you get a notification and you can drag it down into a feature-rich notification center. Maybe app-specific notification extension too. Eg pull down a text notification to see a little text history and a basic reply box. When no notification is visibile, swipe down in similar fasion to how you access things on a win 8 tablet. Then you get a list of notifications and can drill in to the simple extensible actions for IM, etc. I'd much rather that than overloading the home screen with functionality.

John Kwon says:

More cut/paste options.

Mattyh95 says:

Eg, copy and paste phone numbers into dialing pad? Yes please! :)

dzdj says:

Yo, dawg. I don't know if you know this, but you can totally do that in Windows Phone 8. I do it every day! :D

Wyn6 says:

Just so you're aware. In WP8 you can copy/paste phone numbers into the dialing pad. So, that wish has been granted. ;)

DropPass says:

Heck... WP8 actually does one better.  If you tap on any phone number in a website, etc... it actually copies and pastes it dierectly into the dialer for you and dials the number!
E-mail seems to work slightly different.  If you tap a number in an e-mail, it opens the number up as a contact.  You can then click the Call this Number option to place the call.
I actually used this the other day.  I was looking up the number for a local store and told my wife to grab a pen so she could write the number down. On a whim I decided to try and tap the phone number from the website and sure enough it started dialing!!!
Pretty slick!

smokindro123 says:

pretty sure you were able to do the same thing in WP7.5, it may not have dialed the number right away but it allowed you to.

PeterFnet says:

Cloud backup of application data and start screen layout.

RyoTGZ says:

Backup of application data is a must. Startscreen layout would be nice, but we would need the sync software to install the apps as well.

VDubb22 says:

WP8 does reinstall previously installed apps when restoring.

DenniSundaY says:

Screen rotation lock would be welcome, but a notification center is not necessary, that's why wp has live tiles...

rubenbest says:

+2 what's the point of live tiles if i have one spot for everything? Plus we have notifications on the new lock screen. People just trying to make this like android ios its not it wp

ousooner314 says:

Live tiles are useful, but are limited in their purpose. A notification center can show greater detail and can also show all the notifications in one place. Moreover, users may opt to not pin certain apps to the start screen, and a notification center would (should) be able to gather updates for such apps as well. So, I would argue both - live tiles and notification center would perfectly complement each other. Just my thought on the matter - as you can see, I'm pro notification center! :)

aubreyq says:

+1. Live Tiles and a notification center is the Holy Grail.

I'm thinking half-press volume button to bring down menu, and then swipe down from the top of the screen, pushing the menu away and revealing old notifications. If you don't want them anymore, just swipe them away!

I know this sounds a lot like iOS, but the iOS-way is just really annoying especially when you're playing games on a smaller screen and you swipe twice from the edge and the game pauses >

Andrew L says:

+1 and Blutooth, wifi, and NFC could be put on the notification pivot (it should be the left pivot) so you can get to everything easily.
Right now to get to wifi, you have eitehr pin a 3rd party app or the system screen to the start page. It's a hassle. Android handles it much better with the nice top drag down. I'm a windows fan, but if we are honest the notification on android is better.
A left pivot would do the trick just as nicely as the top down for android.

jeres88 says:

my thoughts exactly.  the entire homescreen is a notification center tailored only to the notifications that you care about.  I really don't get this obsession with a Notificaiton center for wp8.

spampy2 says:

So how about this scenario, you here a notification sound on your phone but dont look at it right that second/minute and when you go to see what it was it's gone and nowhere to figure out which app it came from. I'm not talking text messages, phone calls, emails, but more of lets say a sports score from the ESPN ScoreCenter app that sends a notification to my phone when one of my teams scores a TD (real time). If you do not here it or see it with in the window of time it is gone and I mean gone!

poddie says:

It seems like this scenario has to be explained ad infinitum to all the "no need for notification center" people. I wish they would listen for once.

aximtreo says:

I think some listen but a lot of them can't "here" what's being said. LOL

I would think it safer to assume they don't care because its not really an issue for them. Personally for me its not an issue yes sometimes it would be nice to see a missed toast but generally if I actually care then that app is pinned and I see an indicator or the text display of the tile has updated. That is the point of the live tile system. The problem is not really ms or the is its devs that are doing straight ports fom other platforms and not using this platforms unique features. Case in point weather app. I would like to know about the weather fairly regularly so its pinned and at the top it normally displays the current temp and flips with the local radar image if I get a sever alert and mis the toast I see a nice badge indicating sever weather along with the current temp whose background reflects the condition outside and whose back tile shows the radar pretty mch everything a notification center would show and pretty much the same info contained in the toast for the most part this is all the info I desire but f I want more then tap the tile and when opened its UI is up to date with relevant info and the ability to dive into more detail. see a properly written app for the platform removes the need for notifications. If your app does not show what you want talk to its developer most of us listen to users or at least should its how we make a living

drg says:

correct me if I'm wrong but if it meant that much to you wouldn't you pin the ESPN tile to the Start Screen and it would show there's a little 1 in the corner to tell you there's a notification so you open the app?? I think that's the argument against having a notification center.

ousooner314 says:

While it's certainly a workaround, there are a couple of issues with that argument -
1) It's telling people what to do with their Start screen. This defeats the purpose of personalization. Users should be able to leave apps off the Start screen but still leverage their push notification capablities. This becomes especially useful for less-often used apps (in my case - Flight Aware and Parcel Tracking). I (and I'm sure many others) don't want to constantly pin-unpin apps just to leverage push notification.
2) Live tiles do not offer details regarding the updates. Most apps show either the latest update, or, a number indicating an update. This is where a notification center becomes very effective. It shows all the updates (and the details regarding each update) that happened across all apps (pinned or unpinned) in one location.
This is why I feel both - live tiles and a notification center, are essential.

lubbalots says:

Apps with push notification, if not pinned to start screen, you won't know if you had any. That's the issue. They show up and disappear. So there is a need for some kind of notification center, unless MS can come up with something else.

cannon#WP says:

Thank you. I don't understand why other people don't get this! Currently the CNN app (for WP7) does toast notifications for breaking news but even with the live tile the app doesn't tell you that it just tried to notify you. If you don't check in time, that breaking news toast notification is gone forever.

ousooner314 says:

You're right - regarding the CNN breaking news toast notification - apparently it's the only way to show the "breaking news" marquee in the app. If you miss the toast notification, you can't just open the app to see the breaking news. It truly is gone forever! Wish CNN would fix this in a future update.

Munkeyphyst says:

I said this above, but a timeline style list of toast notifications would be cool. Just a place that collects and keeps the toasts. Make it work like the texts list. Where new and untapped toasts are highlighted and tapped ones are muted, select to delete individual toasts or clear the lot.

cp2_4eva says:

All this speculation and no official word. Not buying into it until it happens. The whole trail up to WP8 devices and WP8 has been a whole phantom menace.

jbrandonf says:

Only until Microsoft Strikes Back and gives us WP8 users New Hope.

Judge_Daniel says:

This might just be my favorite comment that I've ever read on WPCentral. Thank you for that.

Jf.Vigor says:

I'm confused about seperate volume controls. My Lumia 920 volume controls seem to fnction differently than my Titan and Dell venue pro before it.
It used to be that my phone volume was the same for music and alert volume. Now however it's different. When I connect to my car via bluetooth for music, the volume is different than my call or alert volume. Aren't those seperate volume controls? Quite frankly I prefered the simpler WP7 way.

ZX9 says:

Call volume has always been separate (along with alarms). Ringer, texts, emails, etc. are controlled via the main volume--at least, in WP7.5.

mab664 says:

This is a FEATURE I love! I use car Bluetooth at volume 30, office Bluetooth at volume 10, and the phone remembers the setting. Now I'm don't have to worry about blowing up my Bluetooth office speaker when I connect my phone right after leaving my car.

Camaroon says:

Yeah, noticed the same thing.  I just got an 8X this past Friday and noticed something that I didn't really see discussed much. I use my phone to play music over bluetooth in my car a lot, and on my previous phone, the Trophy, as most people know there was no way to have a separate volume for bluetooth audio. What I've noticed on this phone so far, though, is that there IS separate volume. Typically, with my Trophy, I'd turn the volume up to like 20 or 22 when playing music on bluetooth, then when I'd get out of the car I'd immediately turn it down to my normal setting of 12. Well, I went to do that this weekend with my 8X, turn the volume down when I got out of the car, but it was already back at 12. Then when I went somewhere else and listened to music again, it was already back up at 22.

edjr07 says:

I would like to see how I can sign up to get the update earlier. That is something I really want to know still.

SOULd_OUT says:

Agreed!! They never mentioned it again after the original announcement...was it even an announcement? I've forgotten...

jrnag24 says:

I want to be able to sync Xbox video content to my phone

And iTunes videos.

tilemaster says:

And xbox music collection! Its buggy and dont work for me

jrnag24 says:

xbox music works fine on my 920 but i must find a way to get either my zune/xbox videos or amazon videos on my phone so they better fix it asap

MadSci2 says:

I just want to see it carved in stone that ATT can't hold this up for 6 month per their usual dismal Customer Service

walter1832 says:

This!  + you win the internets!

SOULd_OUT says:

Seriously!! Just give out the update without all this nonsense with having to get it AT&T approved.

AT&T lika the juice no? I think the updates were supposed to come directly through MS with Windows 8... If not you're carrier will most likely hold them up...

jbrandonf says:

Didn't MS add a feature where if you opt out of at&t's (or whatever carrier) warranty they'd allow you to directly update your phone?

dkp23 says:

A more complete backup and restore feature.  If i restore on a different device, settings, start screen, texts, pictures, videos should be on my new phone.

Right now, not all the settings are restored, only some of them.  I should be able to replicate right away what my previous settings and look were onto a new phone, yes, it will take more time, but that is the easiest to set-up your phone i fyou lose or your phone is defective.

Add notification in the me tile, rotate lock, issues with ie10 viewing embedded videos on a forum i got to, faster ie10 performance.

ZX9 says:

Apollo's version of NoDo, I'm sure. (Don't expect any real features, folks.) There always seems to be those little bugs that were missed in beta but that urgently need to be changed. Kid's Corner, much?

wpward291 says:

What's wrong with kids corner I use this alot, because of my daughter. Just curious

cruzr96 says:

Orientation Lock
Battery software percentage
Notification center
AND MOST OF ALL, a better media player app. The music+video app sucks.
That's all I ask.

How does it suck? Its far better than what iOS and stock Android offer.

VDubb22 says:

Inability to edit playlists is a major drawback, IMO.

cruzr96 says:

^This, This, and This. Major drawback. Also I find that many of my music files are recognized by Nokia Music but not Xbox Music+Video, which is a pain.

PG2G says:

I'm curious how the music+video app sucks. The desktop/metro companion app sucks, but the music+video app is as good as it has ever been.

simontl says:

I'd like ability to select folder of photos for Favourites and lock screen - so it is easier to swap them around

Ebaneeezor says:

*Xbox Movies work as advertised.. damit this pisses me off.

*Notification center

*IM service that works over Wifi natively (Skype, but built in - let the software determine what to use based on connection type - wifi or 4g)

*VOIP native (Skype, but built in - let the software determine what to use based on connection type - wifi or 4g)

Complete mirror image of WP Backup and restore - every thing...

*and a 1 year subscription to Vivid

Mattyh95 says:

Viber for all windows phones! Nor just Nokia Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viber HD isn't on Lumia WP8 devices.

sym1a1a says:

Give us access to our Xbox movie purchases!!!!

spampy2 says:

Agreed!!!!!! I thought it was 3 screens and seamless integration

jrnag24 says:

in the meantime I would happily take an Amazon Instant Video App

ogwp says:

VPN.  Rotation lock would be nice too.

weisman87 says:

CUSTOM TEXT ALERTS for the love of God.

unike313 says:

A-FREAKING-MEN!! And a better windows phone app for your desktop.

GonzoMcGee says:

Soooooo +1!! It's ridiculous right now.

#firstworldproblem

retyler says:

I would like to see Microsoft give the finger to all the carriers and not allow the carriers to make any changes to the OS. That is the one feature I would like to see copied from Apple.

PolishHitta says:

Let.me get this straight.. Windows phone 8 has a scheduled update and we still don't know when is windows phone 7.8 update coming out.

aubreyq says:

+10000000000

inteller says:

yes, and that update will arrive before 7.8 does.

alex6272 says:

This. Just release 7.8 already

jbrandonf says:

They can't anyway. Most they can do is add a suggested apps list in the store and bundle a bunch of apps with the phone, all of which are uninstallable. What are you referring to?

inteller says:

WTF are YOU referring to?

DJCBS says:

Yeah. Apparently Microsoft thinks the existing WP costumers were not mistreated enough already.

BlackbirdArg says:

Flip to silence!!

But how would you use the wireless charger too?

Mooshywooshy says:

In a world where we text more than call people, give us custom alert sounds please.

XBOX VIDEO AND ITUNES VIDEO SUPPORT FFS!!

Jonadam23 says:

Please add a notification center! PLEASE! I hope they make it so you can swipe to the right on the homescreen to pull out a notification center much like swiping to left brings up all the apps. I also would like for them to add the ability to swipe up or down on apps when in the multitaksing veiw to close apps. If they add those two features i'll be extremely happy.
P.S. We also need nokia drive for all windows phone 8 devices to be rolled out!

uopjo6 says:

Turn on your phone. Swipe up to unlock. BAM, notifications. :)

Better Bluetooth support. Can't play music in my Audi with my 920. Don't know if that's a WP or Audi issue.

S_C_B says:

I can play music in my Ford Focus just fine. I've benen able to do it with all of my phones including the iPhone, all of my android phones and my Lumia 920. By the way, the audio system is powered by Microsoft Sync. It's so compatible.

poddie says:

Works fine on my 920 / Honda Oddesey

UnnDunn says:

Audi issue. Dunno which Audi head unit you have, but none of the VW/Audi vehicles I've driven supported Bluetooth streaming. Bluetooth handsfree calls, but not streaming.

INSTAGRAM, SNAPCHAT, AND MINECRAFT ASAP!!

This!!!! And a notification center would be very nice.

Ticomfreak says:

Not Microsoft's fault you guys. Come on, think McFly, think! Its the developers of these apps, annoy them.

jb3d says:

Ability to watch movies on my windows phone.  I purchased a movie on my windows 8 PC.. only to find out i couldn't watch it on my shiny new lumia 920...  so sad.. so sad

androidtoWM says:

Please add smart dial support.

jbrandonf says:

This is a little touch that means a lot! I miss this madly from my One X.

WinFan1 says:

Notification center
Custom alerts
Landscape view of the start screen
Volume controls for phone and for music separated
That is all I really want/need
Other than that fully satisfied.

stressds says:

One touch silence (and I don't mean set to vibrate). I mean complete silence!

TK2011 says:

+1. I never understood why they don't let me enable/disable vibrate mode directly. I always have to go into the setting menu. Currently you can tap on the bell sign to turn on or off the sound. They should just add two more states like this:
- sound on, vib off
- sound off, vib on
- sound on, vib on
- sound off, vib off

zikifer says:

This, a million times this.

GonzoMcGee says:

+1 I wonder why this ever has been removed since WM6.5 its just such an obviously useful feature and one that doesn't need a rocket scientist to implement I am sure.

colin24_7 says:

Better syncing and podcast support in the UK.

Finges says:

Create new contact from Text... Or at least the ability to copy the phone number or something. Doesn't happen all the time.. but has happened a few times since I moved to WP7 and WP8

I can copy/paste numbers for contacts very easily... and I can create them from texts/calls just fine, so I'm not sure what you mean.

UnnDunn says:

Um... tap the phone number at the top of the message thread screen, then tap Save?

cannon#WP says:

I would hope that SOMEONE over at MS would lose some sleep if Apollo+ gets formally announced and dated before 7.8.

checkmate81x says:

One handed keyboard use and notification center. Btw live tiles are sort of dumb played out cause you still need to open the app. (concept was good though)

Live Tiles do exactly what the app developer allows them to do. No more, no less. You need only look at Amazing Weather to realize how good they can be or Phone Dialer for how minimal. The point is, if you don't like a live tile, make it bigger, or contact the developer of that app and request it.

Static icons in android are dumb played out. This is one of the stupidest comments I've read.

wpoblation says:

If they call it Apollo + (reads as Apollo plus), then it technically doesn't end in an "-O" which was their previous naming convention. They should call it "Ocho" or Apollo ocho" to keep up with the naming convention and keep with the Windows 8 branding. (Ocho means 8).

dzdj says:

I have my money bet on this: If they do a notification center, then it will be a live wallpaper that has a companion app so you can set a picture as the backdrop for the notification center live wallpaper.

Anyone could do that now using existing API's and Native Code.

Scott Swann says:

DO we really have to wait until Feb-March 2013 to get the basic bug fixes. UUGH!.  I won't be able to play purchased video from XBOX Video store until then.... I would rather have bug fixes sooner and features later.

danzinho16 says:

What do people mean by screen rotation lock ? Like, I'm confused. Is it, the screen rotates? '-'

rodneyej says:

The screen would be able to be locked in either portrait, or landscape mode.. Whatever your choice. Rotating the phone would not affect the orientation of the screens position.

danzinho16 says:

OOOH gotcha. Thanks !

rcsund says:

There are a couple basics I would like to see.
1.  The ability to have the phone keep notifiing me that there is a text message or voice mail until I have acknowledged it.  This was on my IPhone 3g.  If my phone is downstairs and I am up stairs and don't here it or if I have stepped away from my office and get a text, I would be nice for the phone to keep trying to let me know I missed it.
2.  A decent calendar.  I have seen a couple apps that are close but still a no go.  I would like to be able to actually read the calendar.  I have mulitple accounts that for different things.  The calendar needs to beable to let me edit and see the different accounts in different colors.  I have work for on account/color, than personal and family that me and my wife can both access and edit.  With kids this for me is a must to keep everything in order.
3. Finally, a nice simple, easy to use music player.  I don't play games and all the other stuff.  I just want a simple music player.
So far that is all.

fardream says:

They didn't update that calendar for, like, years

Regarding #1 ... they did. It's called a live tile. See all those numbers next to the icons? ;) Not being a smartass, just saying that's the design paradigm, and they're not going to change it unless/until they implement a full notification hub.

Regarding #2 ... yes. The Calendar app is atrocious.

Regarding #3 ... that's one good thing WP has going for it already. It is very simple to play music on it. And buy music on it. Many, simple options. It's getting your existing music ONTO the phone that's annoying, but if you came from iPhone, you have an easier time since it's probably all in iTunes and you don't have to change anything.

glassadam says:

I'm of the opinion that wp7/8 has the best native music player out of them all. As for syncing......

poddie says:

I don't understand #2... this works just fine in Agenda view. Different colors for different calendars and everything.

#3 doesn't make any sense to me either... the music player is awesome, and not tied into games at all, right? It can access videos, but it's just one selection branch after clicking on music and video to get to music.

apocacrux says:

In regards to #2, have you checked the settings in Calendar. You can specify whatever colour you want for all your syned calendars.
Also the music player on Windows Phone is the best I've used.

rodneyej says:

What about audio/video out?? I've been asking for this feature since day 1!!!!!!

Smartglass and DLNA

pikablu0530 says:

Smartglass app is already available. Nokia had an DLNA "Play To" app available, it's still in the marketplace but was not updated to fit screen sizes bigger than WVGA.

Skelnik says:

Yes, a form of Play To should be baked into Windows Phone 8, and should support all DLNA devices, not just "Microsoft Certified" ones like the Surface RT has.  (My Sony Blu-ray player has DLNA and I use it regularily, but I can't use it with either my phone or tablet, which is a little frustrating to me.)

UnnDunn says:

SoloXCRacer says:

In the text message/chat window, I'd like to know what phone number the text came from, or sending to.  If a contact has multiple phone numbers, you only see the name, but no idea which number it came from.

Messaging will ONLY allow texting to their "mobile" number, so there really isn't much confusion unless the user has contacts duplicated on your phone (and shouldn't the user be responsible for cleaning those up). Although, I have seen people have their mobile number on Skype and Facebook that was listed incorrectly (forgot to update numbers, etc.), and that will list a duplicate mobile number. I find it easier to remind that person to fix or remove it, to be honest... they usually appreciate the reminder.

Knowing it will only text to mobile numbers, you can tap on the name and see the full contact details and immediately know what number to use.

Ticomfreak says:

Click the switch button at the bottom

alfaro58 says:

I would like to see SMS privacy like android and ios

NathBird says:

With you on this. Basic privacy issue and has been for some time!

ejlee072006 says:

This is what I have been waiting for.. Bring out the surface phone.. Im jumping from my current device to it...

B Eubanks says:

I need many improvements to editing, formatting and viewing documents in Word for WP8. They could take a look at Mobile Word as it was years ago on Windows Mobile, or at QuickOffice for iOS and Android. I need to be able to adjust font-size by points, not just "bigger" and "smaller".  A few standard font choices would be nice along with line-spacing and more paragraph formatting. I also need to be able to view a document in an un-mobilized form, with word-wrap turned off so that I can see what my document will look like when the recipient opens it in Word, and/or prints it out.  I also need to be able to either edit old .doc files, or convert them to .docx files within the phone. Word may be "free" on WP but it's ridiculously limited and embarrassing to show iPhone/Android users.  That's frustratingly ironic, given that Word and WP are both Microsoft products.

This and VPN compatibility will open WP8 for the business world and give it a greater following.

Well I wouldn't hold my breath on any of that so soon, but yes, I agree. It should act the same as the Web App versions, at a minimum. Which makes me wonder... have you tried using the web apps on WP?

moverweg says:

Yes I have. And Word and Excel seem to work fine through IE10. However, forget trying to edit Onenote. For kicks and giggles, I went to my local Att store and played with the HTC OneX+, logged into my live account via the browser and found that I could use and edit Word, Excel and Onenote much easier. I was disappointed with my browser at that point. MS has alot of work to do with alot of things to improve. The browser needs more plugins to view and manipulate more pages efficiently. I would be happy if I could view everything my wife can on her Iphone4 at least. I love my WP. The layout and efficiency with the design are fantastic. Come on MS, time to deliver.

tibbys says:

I'd like to see a voice-to-text microphone key on all keyboards in all apps as a default. That would be huge.

Yes!! This would be fantastic!! Technically, though, this is already possible. The app developer need only enable the API in their app.

scumpuppy says:

Would be nice to not have my phone reboot itself 3 times a day!!!! Piece of crap HTC 8X

Uninstall Skype beta

kinaton says:

Fix for signal misregistration (although this could be a Nokia bug)

Please clarify what you mean by this...?

SmoothDog says:

Better Music syncing and podcast management. Basically, revive Zune and call it Xbox music/Video.

NH3MAN says:

^^^THIS..... I cannot believe they discontinued ZUNE for the broken joke of Xbox music on WP8. No Podcast support unless in the MP??? Crappy No-sync of music and playlists and not even being able to open an mp3 file in IE10. WTH! Tell me to install Itunes to download podcasts! Its insane what they've done. Can't play Video I bought in Zune! I'm still carrying my T-II just to listen to podcast.... They need to get this right. I know people taking phones back because they can't listen to their voicemail mp3's.

Well, since we're posting our Wish Lists, I'll suggest the following:

1. SmartDial (why this was taken out of WP, I will never know)
  2. Facebook Comment Liking in People Hub
  3. WAV File Support (why this was taken out of WP8, I don't understand)
  4. Week View in Calendar
  5. Better Xbox Music / Zune Pass Support
  6. Flash support would be a dream come true (WinRT whitelist would be great)
  7. VPN Support (At least support PPTP and L2TP/IPsec options like Windows)
  8. Wi-Fi Improvements (EAP-TLS, Always On)
  9. Battery Life / Power Management Improvements (Fix the Battery Drain Issues)
  10. Ability to pin Settings items to Home (ie. battery saver or internet sharing)
  11. Custom Alert Tones (SMS, Email, etc.)

Yeah, I think that'd do nicely. Oh, and you know, continue to work on that whole 3rd-party App Ecosystem thing to shutup the app who--- whiners, lol.

And incidentally, I'm not a coder but as a fairly technical person, I believe that half of those could be done with one developer spending a week on them (including planning and testing). The other half, a small group of developers could do them within a business quarter.

jsnod25 says:

Agree, seems those things would be drag and drop modules by now based on how commonplace they are... Some decent developer should be able to compile those on short order. Only thing I can think of would be IP rights on how those tasks are accomplished. They are actually copyrighting code now and before code, they will copyright a process on how to accomplish a task, so it's hard for many people to find an alternate method, and even when they do, they get sued for copyright infringement and have to spend millions defending their alternate methods. Half the time its cheaper to license the current methods... Sad world that Apple has created with IP lawsuits for everything.

No WAV file support.  Seriously?  I didn't know that.  I have plenty of stuff in WAV format still.  You seriously saying that I can't play that music on my Windows PHone?  Which I have yet to purchase yet.  Still deciding?

Correct. It's a HUGE limit right now, but take comfort that Joe Belfiore is on record that they're "working on it."

akar33 says:

You didn't know about the limitation, so you obviously don't need that feature. Why so angry?

He also hadn't purchased, and this may prevent him in doing so. Why so harsh?

I can't imagine why you need to play a .wav file on a phone when there are far less memory-consuming options. Time to do some media conversions, I reckon!
I love my Lumia 920 but there are two MAJOR things wrong with the support for Win8 Phone:
#1 - No all-in-one media management solution (like Zune Player was until they took the app store out of it). Windows Media Player is the best of a bad bunch but using Nokia Music or allowing XBox Music to run with my phone totally screws up my media library, with genres being altered (wrongly), artists and album info being altered (wrongly) and missing artwork that is actually embedded into the mp3 file itself! My library was organised into about 20 genres...after copying what I wanted over to my phone and running Nokia Music, I had over 40 genres and half the info was wrong or missing. Microsoft need their very own iTunes...the Nokia Desktop app looks like a Commodore Amiga program from 1995 and syncing files is not as automated as it would seem. Zune Player worked perfectly well and they have removed it without offering one fully-functional alternative. Poor show.
#2 - Apps - while I don't need 500 "Daily thought from the Bible" apps, the kind that bump up the numbers for the iOS and Android stores, Microsoft haven't done a great job of getting some of the most useful apps ported. BBC iPlayer, for example. I think anyone who installs more than 50 apps on their phone is installing for the sake of installing (I mean, how many do you really need to use/can actually use regularly?) WP8 does a great job of bringing social networking and email together and I rarely use the twitter or FB apps anyway...but they (MS) needed to speculate to accumulate. More people will migrate to the superior WP8 OS if they know their iPhone apps will be there when they do. I've had WP7/7.5 before so I haven't had many grumbles but it would be annoying to get a better phone (if I had been on Android, for example) but miss out on a few obviously popular apps.

Pages