Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Official Flipkart Windows Phone app updated, adds push notifications and more

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

Joe Belfiore announces new updates, sheds some details on lock screen app

The Official Dailymotion Windows Phone app is redesigned with the latest update

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Games

Asphalt 8: Airborne gets updated, adds the SSC Tuatara to the garage

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Copy This updated with Windows Phone 8.1 support and Cortana integration

Disney Expedition updated, adds FastPass+ support to the mix

Flipkart eBooks refreshes their Windows Phone app to compete with Amazon Kindle in India

Games

Xbox Game The Harvest returns from the wastelands to Windows Phone 8

Offline Map data updated for Windows Phone

Zomato gets a major refresh; brings social to restaurant recommendations

Official Facebook beta updates with bug fixes and more reliable notifications

Fhotoroom gets an updated, adds in-app store and new editing tools

Nextgen Reader updated for Windows 8, adds new Feedly Pro features and more

Simple Calendar updated, new Live Tiles added to the mix

Plex for Windows Phone 8 updated, adds Plex Sync to the mix

HTC 8X

Rumor: Microsoft set to roll out Windows Phone 8 update 'Apollo+' in Q1 2013 [Update]

Microsoft is set to fire up its updating engine for Windows Phone in Q1 next year, according to a tweet published by renowned Twitter account @Football4PDA. The account was the named source for the leaked images of the HTC Accord (HTC 8X), as well as a number of other headlines that have been published along the way to Windows Phone 8

Rum: 7

The tweet in question claims Microsoft will release an update for its recently launched mobile platform at the beginning of next year, and will be titled Apollo+. While there's little to back up said claims, it's likely to turn out to be true. We're not entirely certain what could be included in such an update to Windows Phone 8, but it would make for a welcomed gift post-holiday season for those who have recently invested in a new Windows Phone.

Notifications Centre could well be on the list of included features and functionality, as well as separate volume controls, not to mention the number of bug fixes and improvements that will surely be applied to further smooth out the user experience. Be sure to head on over to our forums to view what the community wants to see added to Windows Phone.

Microsoft pushed out the NoDo update for Windows Phone 7 in Q1 2011 - though many had issues with carriers delaying the rollout. We wouldn't be surprised if the company had a windows Phone 8 update planned for the new year. What's more is that all updates pushed out by Microsoft should be sent out OTA (Over-The-Air) to consumers- no need to plug the device into a computer.

Update: According to The Verge, Microsoft has a number of improvements on the horizon for Windows Phone. The Apollo+ update could include VPN support to enable connectivity with systems, which has been missing since the Windows Mobile days. A WiFi connection patch is also in the pipeline to allow connections to remain active (something which Joe Belfiore mentioned recently), as well as some audio enhancements.

What would you like to see in the first update rolled out?

Source: @Football4PDA (Twitter)

Comments

dbgman says:

I am still waiting for custom ringtones on other than phone calls like sms, email, etc.

Not OS related but need to work on getting more of the popular apps on board. That is what everyone is still complaining about.

1. Kids corner separate lock code or no code option this will be very handy if you have older kids probably 6 and up
2. PDF file sending capabilities

Those are definitely possibilities, although Joe Belfiore is on record stating that the lock code thing is "by design" for now. I guess his logic makes sense... they want the user to maintain the control over access to the phone, which is smart. It does defeat the purpose when parents get sick of entering it in and just tell the kids the code, but then parents have no one to blame for the mishaps. As for PDF sending, I suspect that they could easily add that since you can now drag/drop any file type onto the phone by Windows Explorer.

I agree notification centre and VPN support would be great, but what I want most is my storage back! It seems a phantom folder titled 'other' is taking up half of the storage on my 8x, and although it's only a 16GB device, that was ample with my HD7. What the hell is in that folder and how do I delete it! Please feel free to check your devices too, I have afunny feeling it's a standard issue. And no, it does not seem to be some sort of dynamic cache that frees space as you need it. I recorded in 1080p (20 mins ish) until my phone said memory was full. The 7GB otherfile was still there. Really needs sorting.

Just curious... can you tell me exactly where you're seeing this, and how to get there? I have a Lumia 920, so I'm curious if it's a WP8 thing, 8X thing, or 'You' thing. What have you done to troubleshoot it?

Go to settings and check storage. When the bar comes up, press it and i gives you the breakdown. Alternatively, plug into a comp and it shows on the app. There are threads on WP Central and the Windows community websites about a fair few people experiencing it, so I doubt it's a me thing. I cleared my e-mails, deleted most of my texts and cleared all map data. I'm hugely reluctant to reset the phone as I've just got it how I like it. As I said, i is pretty much exactly the same as my HD7 with perhaps 2 further games and 3 less apps. Pretty sure that's not 7GB worth of diference.

I have a 1.63GB "other" section. I'm curious to know what "other" means. I would have suspected map data or some type of other app cached information. Shame we don't have more detail. Did you copy any regular documents over to the phone via Explorer?

Abdul9 says:

The 1.63GB for others is map data. I can tell you this cos i downloaded many maps on my phone and have 6.86 GB as others. By the way i have a lumia 920. So i guess what he is experiencing is a htc thing tja i guess thats what you get for going against us (Lumians) lol.
On a serious note thats messed up, not only do you get less storage but your storage is also consumed y some unknown place holder.

Nope, there are no documents, no maps, 4 texts, a couple of e-mails with no attachments and everything else seems accounted for.

poddie says:

In 7.5, the "Other" section was just music/video/picture data that had been moved onto the phone before Zune had been installed or before the last phone update.  Basically, anything Zune wasn't able to state for sure was this or that (why they don't use the file extensions to type it I don't know).

If you add up your videos and music does it seem right?

Yeah I remember and this phone has literally exactly the same content as my HD7 but I had loads more space on that. Yeah, I've got like 7 albums on there and no videos at all. I'm baffled.

mpelti says:

Notification center
Custom text tones
Contact specific ringtones
Orientation lock
Kids corner without pin.
Live tile sto toggle common settings (BT, WiFI, NFC, GPC, LTE, Airplane mode.
Full silence.
Weekly/4-day calendar view
Do not disturb / answer by text.

Well I can help you out with one of them... you can already use contact specific ringtones. :)

And you can have full silence, but you have to choose it between volume/silence or volume/vibrate, not all three. Settings, Alerts, and toggle Vibrate off. Then your volume toggle is noise or silent.

jsnod25 says:

Had ringtones for contacts since 7.5 at least... I use quite a few already for friends and family on my L900.

Google talk integration into messengin hub is my first on the list.  Screen orientation lock next.  FInally, allow keyboard apps such as swype.  A fantasy feature would be live moving background instead of just black or white.  Hm...now it looks a little bit like android!

Well, technically speaking, the new WP8 API's already allow keyboard "customization" options, so while I've not heard it discussed, SWYPE is at least a technical possibility. Google Talk integration is also already possible now, thanks to SIP application API's.

As for backgrounds. No. Hell no. Hell **** no. That crap kills battery life, wastes processor resources, and all around sucks.

Separate code for Kids corner will let u maintain phone security without feeling weird about holding phone screen away from kids... It just doesn't feel right to do this with my 8 year old whom I wish to instill family trust.

XBox Video Intergration from Windows 8.  It is simply rediculous that it doesn't already.  Please.  Thank you.

madmoondog says:

I'd like to play .wav files again like I could before on 7 and 7.5

CFH75 says:

They need to fix the DRM issues with Xbox Music....I'm really over it already.

thekrayze says:

I would like more sound notification settings. For example I would like to have my wife have one sound for txt, one for email, one for calls. And also have another email address from my work play a different customized sound when an email is received

jdkuipers says:

I live by my calendar and to-do list, so the following would be huge for me:
1. Separate live tile for to-dos/tasks
2. Ability to change the account associated with a calendar event or task AFTER it is created (move from one calendar to another)
3. Be able to change the interval for minutes when picking start times; scroll in 5 minute intervals instead of 1 minute
4. Set date limits on recurring appointments (ends by)

Dome85 says:

Too many things still missings to WP8... and Microsoft continue to not listen us...but WP8 is faraway to be complete...

Very important

• Notification centre
  • Backup for apps data
  • Start Screen folder / add view by categories for app list
  • VPN
  • Remote Desktop
  • Separate Volume for Ringtone/media/notification
  • A quick menu for Orientation lock/BT/WIFI/NFC/GPS/Sound
  • Manual IP fo WIFI connection
  • Multiselection for messages
  • Xbox Video Integration

Lower Priority

• Custom tone for notification/sms/email
  • Full silence.
  • Do not disturb for notifications

Some of these are basically functions for a mature mobile  OS.
I will not buy a WP8 until Microsoft will not make some step in the right way...

Backup for apps is already possible via SkyDrive API's. Many apps actually take advantage of it... most do not. That is solely at their discretion, as it should be.

Remote Desktop has NEVER been a pre-installed app on any mobile platform, and I'm OK with that. Also, ConnectMe is a fantastic 3rd party app... and it's a shining example of using SkyDrive API's.

Multiselection already exists for messages in WP8.

Otherwise, I'd say pretty consistent preferences based on other posts.

Dome85 says:

Multiselection on messages it's only for the entire conversation = useless. We need a selection of single messages to delete them quickly.
Microsoft should make a serious backup. We can't wait for every developer. At each change phone we'd lose all save data in this way. Apple can backup apps data and System files toghether or divided: so you can restore the entire system or, after a hard reset, restore only app and data. Why Microsoft can't do this?
Micorosft should also realise a proprietary Remote Desktop app...

cashcar1979 says:

Notification center...folders...Xbox Video support.

Anything else is gravy...or can easily be solved via third party apps

dreamfly says:

Need to wait another 4 months from the random reboot fixes?  I'd say it's rather slow.

Umm, "up to" 4 months. :) Q1 is Jan 1 - Mar 31. But your point is noted, and I agree. I really feel that a "fix" pack should be much higher on the priority list.

Xbox video integration for the love of god!

adjake says:

Start screen landscape mode. As well as app screen and just about every other stock app. Annoying when mounted in a car to read stuff sideways.
Ability to change font size for title/menu bars (people should not take up 1.25 inches of real estate)
Swipe delete email or messages ala webOs (hate the check box thing everytime I try to read an email the box comes up
NUMBER ROW ON MAIN KEYBOARD

jsnod25 says:

Not sure why rotation lock is such a big deal... But a feature is a feature, and ill take it. I DEFINITELY need a notification system. I hate hearing my phone go off, and by the time I get to it, I don't know what beeped at me. Its sad really. I do want folder tiles, like how games separates out the games from the rest, I want to pin a folder(tile) to start, then associate a custom list of apps, available by either long press on the app itself and adding it like you would a song to a playlist, or by launching live tile(folder) and adding additional apps, that way I can have all my finance apps in one place, and my news apps in another and so on...

moverweg says:

Improve browser capabilities. If I can view a page on my PC, I should be able to view the exact same content on my phone. No omissions.

Switch to desktop mode. That option has been there even since WM6.1

moverweg says:

Thanks for the advise. However, I do have it in desktop mode. What I mean by viewing all content, I mean absolutely everything on a web page. Try www.behr.com or www.houlihans.comfor example. They don't display properly. There are tons of examples out there. It can and should be done.

adjake says:

A way to confirm what is actually running.
Quick way to close apps of you hold the arrow to multitask you should be able to close from there in one step

devize says:

My wishlist:

Notification Centre
Separate Volume Controls
Orientation Lock
WiFi Remaining Active Option

tiefling says:

Fix the rebooting bug - number 1! Then gapless playback

adjake says:

Forward button in browser

roaspiras says:

I'm amazed at all the request pointing to Message Center..
My wants:
1. Ability to search SMS/Text messages
2. Ability to enable / disable history (SMS/Phone calls etc)
3. On/Off feature for the top notification which auto-hides the signal strength indicator, battery, time and wifi
4. WIFI keep alive
6. Improving Live tiles notification.  Example if you have unread or missed nofication, live tiles should change color or get dimmed or do something else to get your attention.
7. Dual-live tiles.  Meaning I can configure a live tile for 2 apps, live tiles will be flipping constantly.  For example, one tile is CNN and the other is twitter.  This allows me to put more apps in Windows Phone start screen withouth swyping horizontally because the tile can have two apps representing itselft. Let's not be iOS or Android.  If they can pull this off then I'm completely sold.
8. A better synching app or better yet give us access to areas of the phone like photos, music, office docs where we can simply plug the phone and do drap and drop and treat it like a normal usb storage device
9. Printing function
10. Improved multi-tasking.

there it is.  Goodluck to us.  I hope someone in MS is reading this thread.

Number 8 is possible, plug in to PC or mac, shows up as external storage. Drag and drop.

It would be nice to be able to set some "open with" preferences. Like YouTube links open with SuperTube. When I first got my 920 I downloaded SuperTube, then later on a certain YouTube link said I needed the YouTube app. Lame! Now I have the lame YouTube app and LazyTube. Sort of redundant.

Flash and or whitelist support as IE 10 in Windows 8.

Rotation lock.

Fix battery drain issue.

Custom text alert noises.

Search button such be app specific and should pull up Bing only from start screen.

Back button should not be able to take you out of an app. I go into an app, do my business, and should be able to press back to get back to first thing that app opened to. Start button should be only way to leave app. Annoying in IE if I'm using it, leave it to do other things, come back to it, and if I want to go back to a previous page, it just exits me out of the app.

WiFi persistence.

More tile colors.

Option in email to always show images if its not in my junk/spam folder.

The back button MOSTLY works as you describe... taking you back to the previous screen. Only IE doesn't seem to comply with this policy in a meaningful way. I'd prefer they fix IE than change the behavior of the button.

crazygonzo says:

That's great, Microsoft must prove their support after that 7.8 fail, also important is to show that they're able to release their stuff on time. WP 8.1 update with a juicy 8.2 or 8.5 in June/July and in 2014 WP 9.0.

7.8 fail? Yea right, this comment is fail tho however

MrSnipeSnipe says:

I would like to see a patch for the Bluetooth switching. My Lumia 920 has issues.

Gunzta says:

For the love of God Microsoft, give us custom text message/email sounds/voicemail/calendar sounds!!!  Thank you.

spyderzWPC says:

no kidding we have been begging for this since 7.0.0.0.0000000000

MrVol84 says:

Just give us Instagram.. I have so many friends that love my phone (920) but won't switch over just because of the lack of Instagram.

Ticomfreak says:

Not Microsoft's fault, but we do need instagram

phatboy66 says:

The calendar sucks, please improve it Microsoft

phatboy66 says:

I want a nice week view of my schedule

Microsoft is not going to read this comment so it's quite stupid to put their name in it, plus agenda and month view works well anyway.

Gunzta says:

Actually it is well known that members of the Windows Phone development team peruse the more well known Windows Phone news sites and they do indeed read comments and listen to feedback. ;)

phatboy66 says:

Keep unread emails count on the email tiles!

It's already there- stupid comment

poddie says:

He means don't clear the number just because you opened the email app... have the number be a reflection of the emails that are actually marked as unread.

I disagree with him completely and like the way it functions now, but that's what he meant.

Gunzta says:

Oh I see.... I get it now, you're a troll.. Welcome troll. :wave:

jeremyshaw says:

WiFi keep alive sounds awesome. My old focus was very quick to reestablish WiFi lock - the same amount of time it took to get past the lock screen. All WP phones I've used since then (some 7.5, some 8) take a while longer. My iPhone just gets it almost as soon as the screen turns on (and I've never had an app starve for data right after unlocking the iPhone, either).

Sure, its just a case of waiting for a few seconds, but why should I? Even my dilapidated Atrix is quick to grab a connection.

PAPACLIFFY says:

1.    Ability to assign static IP
2.    Persistent WIFI
3.    Customizable SMS/MMS notification tone
4.    A way to shut down backgrounded apps like Win8, flick or drag down to quit app. When required have a simple dialog of "save app state, yes or no?"
5.    Device wide contextual search
6.     Toast notification hub

uopjo6 says:

wow. 200 first world comments.

Wow. 200 first world comments and yet only one first world douchebag.

poddie says:

Why do you even read this site?

What point about smartphone functionality would you NOT classify as a "firstworldproblem"?  Should everyone just shut up and never make a suggestion?

So stupid.

Well alot of these are very minor complaints or just user error

vinnyvv says:

To have  a scrolling feature when listening to music, and watching youtube, hate fast forwarding by pressing arrows long enough.

poddie says:

AWESOME idea! I hate the arrows too... always seems hard to get it to work.

Ability to finally tag people through the people hub in your Facebook statuses!!! Pretty much make the twitter and Facebook apps unnecessary so you only have to use the People Hub!

MrVol84 says:

yea i think they should allow you to tag people to your status updates done via yhe people hub, as well as to check ins done throughtpeoples hub. i've always wished i could do that on my phone.

TechTick says:

Notification Center definitely!

phatboy66 says:

Swipe to the left to have Notification Center, problem solved

phatboy66 says:

From the start screen of course

mayur89 says:

Notifications system and separate control.... And, very much required, orientation lock, search button in zune,

I would love that too, but something gives me the feeling that Apple may have copyrighted those functions... I hope I'm wrong.

TryllZ says:

This is what Im looking forward to:
1. Segregated Volume controls for Keypad & Music & Phone. Add Silent Profile Shortcut in keypad like Samsung.
2. Import/Export to SIM
3. Full Color Palette for themes & NOT FIXED colors. Allow Multple Color Tiles on the homescreen, rather than 1 fixed color for all homescreen tiles.
4. End Task button for suspended apps
5. Adjustable display brightness and volume control
6. Call Recording, in-built
7. Custom ringtone for reminders/Calenders/To-do
8. Option to Permanently show or hide phone icons, such as Battery/Network etc..
9. Full backup like iphone or selectiv ebackup like BB
10. allow selection of mp3 as ringtones without having to shortening it to less than 1min

bucnasty04 says:

All I want is some text tones.

futurix says:

I wouldn't expect any major feature changes or additions: I suspect they will add a few missing bits and pieces like VPN, persistent Wi-Fi option, and perhaps better DataSense - but the focus will be on stability and bug-fixes.

Mel the Way says:

I already mentioned this in a thread nobody answered yesterday, but this is what I want:
1. A setting for having the phone permanently on; no auto-lock after 5 minutes.
2. A simple mechanism for deleting a sound track currently playing.

Ive only found the app 'Stop the music!' for this, but it works.

prober57 says:

Eprint support at OS level like iPhone. Really miss this feature in WP OS. Should not be an app, would create a non standard method of printing across other apps. PDF, web, photo, reader printing support a must.

niravc says:

the native news and sports apps they have on windows 8, from what my friend tells me they're pretty nifty apps. and of course a notificaiton center

camptime says:

I would just like to be able to purchase a windows 8 phone.

pr0phecy says:

I'll have a notification center please.

awsman says:

I'd like to see seperate volume controls & notification center also.
I'd also like to see a few fixes with the UI.  I'd like to see more tile size options, for instance small unit tall but multiple units wide.  I'd also like them to get rid of the wasted black space at the top of my screen.  The tiles should move up closer to the clock, rather than having so much empty space.
I also agree that the calendar needs to be fixed.  My live tile shows the next day, not the current.
Lastly, whatever security issues need to be taken care of so that my bank IT department will allow use of windows phones needs to happen.

ind1g0 says:

XBOX VIDEO SUPPORT PLEASE!

Montpbm says:

I like everyone's comments that are pertaining to the phone getting better.....Also I will like for Microsoft TellMe to be competitive to Siri, just like that commercial posted years ago....Make it superior to Siri please!

SpaceGuy1 says:

How about full enterprise e-mail support on par with iOS and Android? Many of us are still problems, and without it, WP8 is just a fancy toy.

mrmdj31675 says:

Besides all suggestions given by everyone, what Microsoft needs to add is the proper coding and encryption for CDMA 2000 networks for the US and Japan.

hd7b4radar says:

Turn by turn on my 8x please.

klausbert2 says:

First and foremost they should be fixing things like the massive battery drainage that happens sometimes and the reboots that some users experience.

Shatznr says:

Better podcast support and a real replacement for Zune software.

Guzzler3 says:

This is MY list after having the phone for over a week now:

Messaging
Copy text from received messages.

Xbox Music+Video
Playlists creation, editing, sync
Can't clear "current playing" (currently only able to by power cycling the phone)
Lots of duplicates in music after awhile.
Be able to add Podcasts from other sources.
Search local files.
A desktop application for Windows 7 (access/pay/steam Music, and Videos from the store)
that will synchronize existing music/videos to phone.
DLNA - Client and server

SD card
add "store documents", "email attachments", and "PodcastSeries" to store on SD card.

Speech
More speech recognition in more areas of the phone (all text boxes).

Sounds
Custom sounds for "New text or IM", "New voicemail", "New email"
Custom sounds per contact (add IM, email)

Phone
Call length in Phone history

Quick switching of WiFi and Airplane mode on or off.

Search
Includes local files, calendar

You can copy another persons text messages by holding down on the message for 2-3 seconds and you can clear current playing through an app called "stop the music"

Hardera says:

1. Better sync options including Wi-Fi syncing. Really now, my Nokia Lumia 920 requires a usb cable to sync to my Windows 8 computers - it's so 2008. Very lame.
2. Orientation lock.
3. Kids Corner should have the option not to require a passcode. It currently defeats the purpose with having to put in the master passcode. Yes, I take full responsibility for anything that could happen. No problem though, because I only put stuff on Kid's Corner that I want them to have access to. If you're silly enough to put your Facebook and Twitter connections up there, then having to enter a passcode isn't going to save you from your own bad judgement.
4. Connectivity to Windows Media Center and even other media centers over Wi-Fi. One would assume connection to Windows Media Center would be there right off the start.
5. Be able to populate contact info from an email signature and copied text. PLEASE!

robmclaughjr says:

I hope Microsoft keeps striking while the iron is hot. This is the time for action! There are a lot of new users with influence. There are a lot of onlookers, ready to join. Microsoft needs to respond ASAP to user requests. There needs to be improvements to battery life and stability. I trust MS is working with 3rd parties to bring modern apps to WP8. There is a lot to be impressed with. I think WP8 could be the tipping point, if Microsoft keeps the pressure on.

Huberdth says:

Definately Bluetooth Low Energy API's for GATT so we can use all the nice Accessories being produced right now.
Weeknumbers in the Calendar (a MUST in Europe, somehow Americans don't get it).
Notification "center" (slide left like on N9)
APT-X hifi audio through Bluetooth!

AskaLangly says:

File browser. Multimedia app that filters by folder hierarchy. Consistent sync to whatever account (1s interval).

We deffinatly need seperate volume controlls for ring volume and media players. This mono volume does my head in.

1. email attachments (docs, multiple, from within email. 2. HTML in email without manual download. 3. Standby time of Never, not just 10 minutes max. 4. Longer notifications. 5. More robust calendar. 6. Voice navigation. 7. File management. All of the other recommendations too.

rdjward says:

1) Option to use glowing Windows button as indicator of missed notification
2) Orientation lock
3) Option for better SMS privacy (ie able to block toasts or get less intrusive notification)
4) Numerical battery icon
5) Notification center, swipe left from home to access.  Also could swipe down the lock screen instead of swipe up to jump right to it.

Screw the orientation lock, you NEED to address the independent volume control. There's been so many times I've missed a call or my alarm clock because I turned it down listening to music or turned it down to play something. This issue needs to be addressed yesterday. Had a windows 7 device for two years, dealt with it. Got the new HTC 8x and figured you guys would have this down by now. Apparently not. This is the most BASIC of controls. I remember my old LG flip phone having a control for music separate from the ringer and the alarm. At least get an app we can download to fix this... Other than that, i love my windows phone and wouldn't trade it for an android or iphail in a million years.

Pages