AT&T's Lumia 1520 is now getting the Windows Phone 8.1 update

Strong subscriber growth powers AT&T's Q2 2014 earnings

AT&T may rollout Windows Phone 8.1 update 'as early as this week'

Samsung releases ATIV BizCard scanning app for Windows Phone

AT&T Nokia Lumia 635 arrives on July 25 for $99 as prepaid GoPhone

Armed robbers raid Brazilian Samsung factory for 40,000 devices

Samsung, Intel and Dell create a consortium for connected devices

Samsung's bringing HDR, Smooth and Slow video to their Windows Phone 8.1 app

EU and South Korea working together to develop 5G networks

Windows Phone 8.1 Preview picks up third update, tweaks a few APIs

Intel and Samsung teaming up for lower-cost 4K monitors

Windows Phone 8.1 Preview updated to version 12393

Microsoft pokes fun at Samsung's Heathrow advertising, fails to book flight to the Galaxy

AT&T acquiring DirectTV

AT&T relaunches Cricket as nationwide brand with new smartphones, plans, and LTE

How To

Here’s how to get Qi wireless charging back on your AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520

Nokia Lumia 520 available for $50 at Best Buy, today only

Five Samsung Mobile US execs leave company, reports CNET

Samsung research could put graphene into your future thin, light, even bendy phone

Samsung ATIV SE official, now up for pre-order at Verizon

AT&T pushes out Windows Phone 7.5 Tango for Samsung Focus 2

AT&T and Microsoft tonight have begun pushing out Windows Phone 7.5 build 8773 aka Tango to the Samsung Focus 2 (see our review). The previous version of the OS was version 8112 aka the LTE build. First reported in our comments by MDiBo, we were able to verify on our own Focus 2 that the update is indeed live...

Windows Phone Tango brings numerous small fixes to the OS, including multiple images in MMS, send ringtones (MMS), more reliable push notifications, new wallpapers and other optimizations.

After the OS is updated users will be prompted to do yet another update, which will install new Samsung firmware to coincide with the OS upgrade.Though we have not verified what this firmware update contains, it usually fixes minor issues related to the camera, proximity sensors, volume controls and potentially the display. We’ll try to verify any changes over the next few days.

We did test other AT&T Windows Phones including the HTC Titan, Titan II and Focus S and were not able to verify any OS or firmware updates for those devices at this time.

Update: The Tango Update for the Samsung Focus 2 took about thirty minutes.  Times will vary depending on how long the backup stage takes.  When all is said and done the new Firmware version is 2103.12.10.1 and a new Radio software version is 2103.12.9.1.

Comments

slpaige says:

Wow I've had the update on mine for so long I'd already forgotten I had it. They are just now officially releasing it? Wow.

Same here. At first I was like "even my Titan II has this!" then I remembered I manually updated the OS, lol

karelj says:

Care to share how you got it for your Titan II??

Daniel went over that topic a billion times a few months ago.

karelj says:

Well, obviously I missed it. So how about you let Mr Rubino answer if he so chooses, and go play snarky wannabe forum moderator somewhere else.

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online(Click on menu Home)

Nataku4ca says:

u could at least change iMac to Surface if you want to spam a WP news site you know....

upupandawol says:

Why must they torment us this way.
hopefully the 7.8 will follow right behind this.

Piro.Garay says:

I read an article on Google news saying Microsoft may be will releasing 7.8 on Wednesday, I'm thinking it's not tomorrow though. Maybe next Wednesday...

tiggscolo says:

Such lucky people! I am still on 7720, on my HTC Arrive. (yes, someone does move slower than AT&T).

karelj says:

They push this update *now* ??? Gee, thanks AT&T....it only took you how long?
Thankfully, updates are now OTA and we no longer have to be held hostage by your gross incompetence, negligence and greed.

Hope what u saying is true ,and we get them without at&t involve on them , cuz remember androids can get ota but is up to at&t that's why they never get em .

fwaits says:

Android tends to be more of a problem because of OEM customizations so global over the air updates would have to be model specific not just OS specific.

Oldmajor says:

This can't be right. Can it? I thought this was done months ago!

DalekSnare says:

So prompt! Well done, AT&T!

Kormiko says:

And here I am sitting with my Focus 1 still without Tango... but with Mango's disappearing keypad.

SOULd_OUT says:

I feel your pain... I pray every night that they'll bring 7.8 to us without AT&T getting their grubby hands on it...

jagu says:

MAKE SURE YOUR FOCUS IS version 1.3 and NOT 1.4
Get the 7.8 ROM from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2016769 and use the SMS Backup utility from the same forum (search for it on XDA) and the rest of the stuff will be backed up by zune. Only downside is you have to re-install all your apps and the App saves such as your progress in games and stuff will be lost. If you are okay with that then this ROM is 100% stable and working! I have the older 7.8 8835 ROM on my focus which has been running really really stable for months now and planning to update to this one soon.

Goodluck! (No more dissapearing keyboard and any other bugs!)

Tango today. 7.8 tomorrow?

pankaj981 says:

Yes even i m thinking the same

dinchy87 says:

Thats what i want to say :) maybe a prepare... Is this nokia microsoft event tomorrow? :) So it could be possible

I was just thinking this is prep work for 7.8 as you would need Tango first.

astroXP says:

But you STILL would have to upgrade to Tango anyway.

spcdog says:

Maybe that's not true this time, and Tango is a prerequisite for 7.8 for some reason. I don't think any sane carrier would try to get in the way of 7.8, given the noise people made about their "older" handsets not getting 8.0.

DalekSnare says:

Still, updates are designed to be applied to certain earlier versions. If you get an unused older model now and update it, it will install several updates in succession.

xconomicron says:

3/4 ths of ATT's Windows Phones haven't been updated yet to Tango.

Kreblon says:

Keep dreaming, this is AT&T. More like Tango today, 7.8 in January.

January 2014.

Microsoft is delivering 7.8 directly

cloud5trike says:

I think this news should be read 0,5 year before.

JD Miles says:

I suppose it would kill them to release an update for the original Focus and the inexcusable length of time it has been suffering the missing keyboard. still on 7220 thank you AT&T as I know MSFT has had this update to you since probably last January!!!!!

thinkdan says:

Just go ahead and update through the CAB sender method. It's very easy.

bsd107 says:

Can you please advice on how to do this?  I'd like to update my Focus 1.  Thanks!

220SeaChaser says:

This made me LOL since I have an original Focus and have not received Tango.

Sorry folks!  I got a group of psychics over here trying to get them to press the "7.8" update button.  But since KARL is being selfish he made them press the WRONG button!  My bad!
"You know who else pressed the wrong button?  MY MOM!" - Muscle Man

Severely off topic...I am new to this website and I want to tip my hat to Daniel and the rest of the team for keeping up to speed with all the windows phones news...thank you for being so quick.

Neo Nuke says:

Dude. You'll love our community ! Welcome in.

Sobr0801 says:

Couldn't stand the android central community, this one is much better.

Agreed. I find it remarkable, this one seems friendlier and more open.

Thanks! Loving it already.

I have to wonder if this is ground work for the 7.8 update as you would need Tango first.  Please let it be the case!

Maybe since they're actually pushing out tango they'll opt to skip 7.8...

WinFan1 says:

According to ms carriers have no control over the update and all phones will get it

As far as it being groundwork for tango, whenever you get an update it carries any previous ones you missed with it.

PolishHitta says:

2 years later. "hey my Verizon HTC Trophy got it!"

fwaits says:

The Trophy got Tango months ago actually.

Corepc says:

Finally they pushed the updated out to Focus 2 user's. Focus S and Focus Flash got our Tango and Firmware Updates months ago. Original Focus Users are in EOL so no update's unless they manually update to Tango..

MDiBo says:

My fiance has my old OG Focus and she doesnt have the 8112 update yet, my focus 2 came with it installed....  im doubtful the OG will receive tango let alone 7.8

And having the rumor about 7.8 coming out tomorrow(?), it makes me feel that att had to put this out to update to 7.8.

Started the process now....  hope it doesnt really take 30 mins on my UVerse...

_Haitian says:

I'm in Canada using a SIM unlocked AT&T HTC Titan running on Telus. How do I upgrade to Tango and more importantly when 7.8 comes out? Would greatly be appreciate any tips.

mikeeemm says:

An at&t rep told me that they released tango in June, I emailed customer support about my Samsung focus sgh-i917. I was told to connect my phone to PC and start Zune and it would update, I told them nothing happens and then they said to contact Samsung because there's nothing they can do. Samsung told me to connect phone to PC and start Zune and my phone should update. I'm in the process about email both at&t and Samsung showing them that my phone won't update and according to at&t my phone should update because they released the update in June.

MDiBo says:

tango did come out for certain models....

but the reps have absolutley no clue about WP at all, in store in Eureka, CA they are all iphone fanboys...  they do have 4 WPs on display but they know nothing about them...

RaRa85 says:

So I did the manual update for the HTC Titan but because it was a general update and not specific to the device voice notes do not work. ATT is a freaking joke at getting these updates out. If not for the manual CAB installer method my keyboard would still be doing magic tricks! Abra cadabra....disappear.lol

ebradley says:

7.8 from ATT is a mirage.

Kadcidxa says:

Too late. Already using a ROM on both of my Focus devices.

RaRa85 says:

How's the experience using the ROM update? Is it pretty stable?

Kadcidxa says:

I am using jaxbot's rom and its very stable. I havent had any problems besides some unfinished things with the new resizable tiles. Hopefully he does a rom for rtm.

aubreyq says:

My original Focus will cry itself to sleep tonight. Wonder how many Focus 2's they sold compared to original Focus.

Barely. Couldn't compete with the 900.

lippidp says:

Better late than never, I suppose.  Anyway, here are the WP sales rankings on bestbuy.com for today:

11/20/12
AT&T (95 phones offered)
21. HTC 8X Blue 8GB (37. a week ago, 24. a month ago)
24. Nokia Lumia 920 Black (17. a week ago, not available a month ago)
28. Nokia Lumia 920 Cyan (56. a week ago, not available a month ago)
35. Nokia Lumia 920 Red (53. a week ago, not available a month ago)
39. Samsung Focus Flash (63. a week ago, 47. a month ago)
42. Nokia Lumia 920 White (36. a week ago, not available a month ago)
45. Nokia Lumia 900 Cyan (38. a week ago, 59. a month ago)
46. Nokia Lumia 900 Black (39. a week ago, 26. a month ago)
61. HTC 8X Blue 16GB (70. a week ago, not available a month ago)
62. HTC 8X Yellow 8GB (71. a week ago, not available a month ago)
64. Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow (48. a week ago, not available a month ago)
66. Nokia Lumia 820 (72. a week ago, not available a month ago)
68. Samsung Focus 2 (59. a week ago, 56. a month ago)
69. Nokia Lumia 900 White (74. a week ago, 42. a month ago)
81. HTC Titan (84. a week ago, 69. a month ago)
82. Samsung Focus S (85. a week ago, 71. a month ago)
HTC Titan II is not offered
Nokia Lumia 900 Pink is not offered
HTC 8X Yellow 16GB is not offered

T-Mobile (32 phones offered)
6. HTC 8X (23. a week ago, not available a month ago)
14. Nokia Lumia 810 (22. a week ago, not available a month ago)
21. Nokia Lumia 710 White (31. a week ago, 26. a month ago)
29. Nokia Lumia 710 Black (30. a week ago, 25. a month ago)
30. HTC Radar (19. a week ago, 27. a month ago)

Verizon (79 phones offered)
21. HTC 8X Black (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
23. Nokia Lumia 822 Black (60. a week ago, not available a month ago)
57. HTC 8X Red is not offered (not available a week ago, not available a month ago)
58. Nokia Lumia 822 White (58. a week ago, not available a month ago)
59. HTC 8X Blue (59. a week ago, not available a month ago)
76. HTC Trophy (54. a week ago, 68. a month ago)
Nokia Lumia 822 Grey is not offered

Sprint (49 phones offered)
None offered

wpguy says:

So the red 8X is exclusive to Verizon, yet they don't sell it. [SMH in disgust.] Give it to TMo, and I'll buy it.

Strange... This is supposed to be better and newer than my Focus Flash, which got tango (officially) months ago.

Joshave says:

que flojera con AT&T apenas si manda esa actualización para ese mobile, y que pasa con otros teléfonos como HTC Titan? es una pena y sigo diciendo lo mismo, un asco AT&T! :I

xconomicron says:

ATT's excuse for not pushing this update out: "Errr, we could not push out this update because there was a 6 month long computer error that we just fixed...everything is under control now, updates to your phones should come as soon as possible now."

-I would so tell people that if I worked for ATT as a customer service rep.

RyanDaLyon says:

Haha they did say that they were testing it on the focus now, haha I bug them all the time and they've said the same thing since last June.

Xeion says:

One of these days an update for my AT&T HTC Titan would be nice. 7720 is getting pretty stale with the disappearing keyboard action. Updating using the CAB method just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Why can't AT&T pull their heads out of their butts?

Eye D 10 T says:

I had callt ATT earlier in the year and they said that it was coming in June or July with some nice updates from HTC added to it. Good thing I didn't hold my breath...

Face2000 says:

Jokes on me thanks at&t rocking the titan 2 still no love my wife's Lumia 900 go it months ago but hay its what ever right.

Neo Nuke says:

Lumia 900 definitely has tango out for at&t

rabit1 says:

What?

Who's to blame for this? AT&T or Samsung?

I've had mine on HD7 ages ago (using the update trick method (pull the network plug).
I'm thinking about getting the ATIV S, unlocked, If this is Samsung fault, I'd have to reconsider getting the ATIV S.

What do you think? Would the ATIV S unlocked/unbranded suffer the same late update?

ihavewp8 says:

I don't think people cares lol

sdreamer says:

WP9 rolls around and finally we'll get 7.8, hahaha. I thought Samsung devices were the first to get the Tango update then. Can't believe this is just coming now.

judas2100 says:

pretty late to release the update...actually i don't think it even matters now...i bought a Samsung Omnia W back in march and it was already updated...

ciprigeorgiu says:

rumors stated that today wp 7.8 will be released. So this is what all was about?

Cristoby says:

This is no way to treat Grandpa Focus, The Original WinPhone Hit.

HiroEX says:

So are they doing this so they can skip the 7.8 update? Since once 7.8 would have made the 7.5 update a "skipped" update?

Jesus man!! 7.8 is an OTA update directly from Microsoft!! How many times must one have to repeat themselves!! :)

mrhoodiny says:

Yea got mine way back too, thanks to DR

Mic98 says:

I imagine those focus 2 owners being all like "OMG OMG WE GOT A 7.8 UPDATE" and then realizing it is a Tango update :D :/ :| :(

Tjalsma says:

That's exactly what happened to me :(

wpguy says:

I really hope that starting with WP 8 MS has finally with this BS under control. I also really hope all phones will actually get the 7.8 update, including the models that are beyond the 18-month support window. I know, people have said time and time again all WP7 devices will be getting 7.8. I hate to be a pessimist, but I'll believe it when I see multi-sized tile glory on everyone's phones.

chucky78 says:

I got an update on my Telus Surround 7 yesterday for Tango I Believe.

chucky78 says:

Why is the FM Radio not in Windows Phone 8?

judas2100 says:

why wasn't there micro sd support in wp7? because apparently ms likes to leave basics behind thinking it makes 'em special (NOT)

caesar500 says:

I have 16g Patriot SD card in my original Samsung Focus. Microsoft did a crappy job explaining the high speed card requirements.

mayur89 says:

Samsung suckks !!! :D whethr its android, or windows :P

BikemanAMD says:

Wishes At&t would send out Tango Update and finally fix the Disappearing Keyboard on HTC Windows Phone 7 Surround, been waiting and waiting for update to fix that issue for months now. Contemplating just switching to Sprint and Android when my contract is up in April 2013, Unless something changes my mind by then, but I don't know right now

MadSci2 says:

This i smy primary beef with Sammy Phones.  THey are so oddly customized by samsung that they're always left way behind at Update time.  Remeber how the original Focus turned out to have two different "Secret" versions an donly some could be updated to NoDo until Sammy bothered to write the necessary Drivers?  The best part was that son-one at Sammy ot MSoft seemed to be aware of it for weeks.

I loved my WinMo Sammy Phones, but until they either stop thsi nonsense and/or devote enough resources to keeping their 'customized' phones up to date I'm sticking with Nokia - the Update King!

rabit1 says:

Amazing....
This is like upgrading a Ford Pinto.

mrmdj31675 says:

Really?  It took them this long to release Tango to their customers?  Where is the outrage for thi?
wait, I realize this is not anti-Sprint propaganda...

ms tech says:

when will AT&T release WP7.8 updates for Samsung Focus 2 ?