Windows Phone 7.8

Official: Windows Phone 7.8 Update due in early 2013

While there has been tremendous speculation that the Windows Phone 7.8 update would be released today, it's not going to happen. According to Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President for Windows Phone, look for the update in early 2013.

The Windows Phone 7.8 update will bring the current crop of Windows Phone 7.5 devices (Samsung Focus 2, HTC Titan II, Nokia Lumia 900, etc.)  as close to Windows Phone 8 as possible. Hardware restrictions prevent our old Windows Phones from making the full jump.

Myerson states,

"We know you’re eager to get the Windows Phone 7.8 update, and we want you to know that we’re working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013. As we work to quickly get this in the hands of our loyal users, we’re also striving to deliver a high-quality release and ensure a smooth transition for our widely expanded services."

The 7.8 update will bring the new Start Screen, Lock Screen, accent colors and more to the Windows Phone 7.5 devices, giving them a new feel.

Source: Windows Phone Blog; Thanks, Julian, for the tip!

Comments

Stephen.B says:

I hate the rumormill.

ZX9 says:

This isn't a rumor...

Stephen.B says:

That was in respect to the November 28th release rumor.

jsnod25 says:

Yeah and early 2013 can mean anytime before the second half of the year, notice they don't even specify Q1, its wiggle room because they don't even know themselves when it's due out.

Coan says:

I got a feeling this blog post only came out today because of the rumormill going on about 7.8's launch being today.

aubreyq says:

Yeah, probably.

TK2011 says:

No, more like blogs picked up some vague rumors about today's 7.8 announcement and blew things up by falsely predicting actual 7.8 rollout. I've seen it many times in the past two years with Windows Phone. These blogs are simply worthless when it comes to those rumors. Daniel at wpcentral is pretty good and don't bite on those too easily and keep things in good perspective. That's what I like about this site over others.

I'm glad you noticed we did not report that rumor as it was complete nonsense from a non trust-worthy site.

MediaCastleX says:

COMPLETE nonsense...you are the MAN, Dan!

Abhilash1212 says:

Ya I trust this site.. Thanks for the positive impression you made.

inteller says:

The new Start screen is so useful and emblematic of what Windows Phone is about that we want everybody to enjoy it. So we’ll be delivering it to existing phones as a software update sometime after Window Phone 8 is released. Let me repeat: If you currently own a Windows Phone 7.5 handset, Microsoft is planning to release an update with the new Windows Phone 8 Start screen. We’re calling it “Windows Phone 7.8.”
-Joe Belfiore June 20th 2012

You better release 7.8 for all 7.5 devices or all credibility is out the window.

It is coming to all devices

inteller says:

I have no doubt that it CAN come to all devices.  But I fully expect the scumbag carriers to throw a fit and not distribute it.

danzinho16 says:

I think Microsoft's the one who's releasing this update.

wpguy says:

That may be, but similar to what inteller said, I fully expect WP7.0 launch-day devices to be left out of the party. Seriously, other than not p*****g us all off, what incentive do the manufactuers and carriers really have to help make this happen?

MediaCastleX says:

Well, except for LG...they ruined that party =(

jfa1 says:

I just love how  many here are all up in arms because MS says nothing and many of those up in arms about no news are again up in arms  because they now the answer and they dont like the answer.

Orion DeEvo says:

Sorry, it has already been announced that the LG Optimus 7 wont get the upgrade, I imagine there are others. Way to drop the ball Micro$oft.

samirbaku says:

Hi, how do you think. Will omnia w(focus flash) get 7.8 update? İ read about it, some sites say it willnot, and i dnt think so

stui83 says:

This bs puts Microsoft in the same bag as bb ios and android as far as I'm concerned. The really crap customer service bag. Disappointing.

ZX9 says:

I suppose we'll have to wait to just see WHICH carriers they're working with. When's the DIY update?

ousooner314 says:

Also, which devices are getting the update? They said ".. and rolled out to as many devices as possible..". This, to me, could either mean getting it out to as many people as possible, or, getting it out to as many phone types as possible.

Tips_y says:

Didn't LG already announced they're not going to roll out the 7.8 to their WP devices, or at least to some of them? I guess the meaning of "as many devices as possible..." is that some OEMs, like LG, have already indicated they will not cooperate or are not interested in rolling out 7.8.

MediaCastleX says:

We need to march on LG! =[

teaMJPx says:

Wish they bring sooner and market it out as an "early Christmas gift" for the current users... jejeje

RaRa85 says:

You and me both but my patience has just about exhausted with Microsoft and AT&T getting updates out. Those custom ROMs are looking better and better by the day. Maybe I will...

I've been 7.8 on my focus for almost a month best thing i have done to my phone

RaRa85 says:

Does it really look like the real thing?

OMG55 says:

Im not upset, as I will update to 7.8 the buy the MS branded surface phone in March-April 2013 =D

rchillin says:

My thoughts exactly

jsnod25 says:

What I'm holding out for as well.

Ticomfreak says:

Not. Going to. Happen.

DaydreamHero says:

I wonder if all the folks who predicted this fiasco would drag out forever are still going to get called "idiots" and "naysayers"?

ousooner314 says:

It's really not a fiasco (in the true sense of the word) because Microsoft never claimed a quick release for WP7.8. They also made it clear that WP8 was their primary focus. But I agree that there were a lot of emotions vested in the rumors regarding the release date. Wish there was a way to control such rumors because they are rarely constructive.

inteller says:

could care less about the release date now, its the backtracking on devices that is beyond disturbing.

Gemini Ace says:

The people calling this a fiasco would be considered idiots and naysayers.

Nataku4ca says:

definition of Fiasco
a complete and ignominious failure.

nothing failed here... people are using that word way too liberally lately...

Residing says:

Exactly!    Overly dramatic, I'd say.

MediaCastleX says:

Well go figure, nobody reads anymore...read a book! =P

etrosce says:

I do not like this part of the quote:

"... as many devices as possible in early 2013 ..."

I'm afraid not every 1st gen windows phone will be getting the update as they promised when it was announced.

inteller says:

yeah so much for all the quotes from back in June saying that all 7.x devices will get it.  bunch of liars.

They aren't lying, they mean all devices that have 7.5 on it, quit being so dramatic.

inteller says:

That's right, a Samsung Focus has 7.5 on it, so do all other 1st gen devices.  And don't spew that BS about they didn't come with 7.5, that is the biggest copout ever.

Residing says:

Well, it will probably be compatible for all devices, but if the oem's and/or carriers don't push it to those devices...just not seeing here how this is Microsoft's problem if they make it available for all devices.

inteller says:

If they make it available, so that we can do a force Zune update I'm ok with that. It just needs to be made for ALL devices.

Milk21 says:

A lot of 1st Gen devices would be coming up on 2 years old... Isn't it time for an new phone anyway?

220SeaChaser says:

Yeah by time this comes out, I will be upgrading my Focus in March.

wpguy says:

Why should a two-year-old phone be considered worthless? If nothing else, you forget or are not aware that there are an awful lot of people in other countries in the middle of a three-year contract.

fraddy says:

Microsoft would probably want you to buy a new phone every couple of months - if you don't upgrade your hardware often, they'll force you by cutting support for perfectly good devices, e.g. HTC HD2, Lumia 800, Lumia 900. Good advice: don't let them push you into buying a new gadget if the previous one is still good, even better - get a phone from their competitor - RIM, Apple, Google/Motorola etc.

migueltoro says:

Hahahaha...hahahaha! Lets see what would happen when wp9 is released and all wp8 customers will get ditch once again.

KoreyTM says:

It took Microsoft so many years to change kernels, which was the reason for the mandatory hardware upgrade. I doubt Microsoft would change kernels again after just one software iteration.

Orlok1138 says:

Hey KoreyTM I got a bridge for sale, interested?

I wasn't aware you were a Microsoft insider.

NIST says:

You must be new here. Or understand the significance of the change from WP7 to WP8.

poddie says:

Anyone who think MS will change kernals again for WP in the next few years is an utter idiot. Buying Win8 is "safe" (although that word seems strange to use for a device that gets replaced every two years and will work fine regardless of the kernel change)

This is just a troll don't pay any attention to him.

fraddy says:

You are SO right... They've been doing it since HTC HD2 at least... Now they're doing it to laptops, cutting support for Vista even - try upgrading Internet Explorer or Microsoft Office on Vista... I don't like their approach and am switching more and more to Android, Linux, Chrome (a super-safe browser BTW).

cdb033 says:

I was excited, oh well.

joshcsmith13 says:

so, will 7.8 be available for Gen 1 devices like my trusty Focus??

cjallan417 says:

I moved onto a Lumia 920, but was never gonna hold my breath on that.  My Focus got the Mango update and that was it.  Never saw anything after that, even the small fix to the disappearing keyboard problem.  I like WP and MS is on a roll lately with their offerings, but there are definitely some times when they fall short in providing an optimal experience.

SteggyDad says:

Part of the issue is MS doesn't totally controlt he rollout to existing devices, the carriers have to release it after they test it. At least WP8 should eliminate this issue as MS can just push them OTA.

inteller says:

buddy I've got bad news for you there, MS said NOTHING about carriers not being part of the WP8 updates.  Yeah they will go over the air...but who's air do you think that is?
This whole 7.8 update is a sham.  Belfiore said back in June all 7.5 devices would get this update.  I GUARANTEE YOU there was a carrier revolt and they refused to push this update out for 1st gen devices.  Now the backtracking and whitewashing begins...."as many devices as possible"  yep there it is...backtracking.  These are superficial OS updates and should have ZERO involvement from the carrier OR the ODMs, but first gen users are about to get the shaft.  In fact, I bet they are backing this further out so carriers can get those people with 1st gen devices out of contract and upgrade eligible.
Sham central folks...

Gemini Ace says:

If you have a first gen device you should be eligible for an upgrade anyway, so why are you complaining? This isn't a conspiracy. Quit trying to make it into one.

inteller says:

no that is not correct at all.  First gen devices only started Selling Nov 2010 so only the earliest of early adopters are coming off contract.

aubreyq says:

That is correct. I got my Focus in November 2010 so my contract ended only very recently.

wpguy says:

Easy to say if you have your choice of devices for your next phone. The poor people on Sprint are screwed the worst.

Tomasz S. says:

The "as many devices as possible" refers to the rollout which will commence when enough carriers sign-off on it.
The OS update is ready and HTC and Nokia will probably approve it any day now for retail devices. But MS won't deploy the updates until most of the lazy carriers approve their branded versions, so that as little customers as possible are left behind.

Ticomfreak says:

Yes they did, remember the "Windows Phone enthusiast" program which allows access to updates immediately w/o carriers or OEM's interfering

aubreyq says:

I have a Focus also stuck at Mango. I'll be getting a 920 as well. Focus got NO love by AT&T.

paulbendall says:

Sorry this is pathetic, we already know that in essence WP7.5 is a minor update and now we are told to wait until 2013! I've just tweeted Joe Belfiore with my thoughts about WP7.8 and the complete lack of ITPro information around Windows Phone 8. I'm now more interested in BES 10 for my 10,000 corporate users as I can't trust or work with Microsoft.

ousooner314 says:

WP7.5 was actually a fairly significant update. Tango, on the other hand, was relatively minor. As a gen 1 Focus owner, I agree it's disheartening to wait till 2013 for the next update, but Microsoft never really misled anyone with any prior release dates (not to the best of my knowledge). All we saw were rumors and hoped they would be true!

inteller says:

7.5 is what 7.0 should have been day one. It wasn't an update, it was a service pack. And we got it a year later.

It was less than a year later STFU!! No wonder you're banned from the forums.

plp85 says:

Right because WP7.8 is such a big deal to corporate users? It is a superficial update at best, just changing aesthetics. It will not give any improvements to corporate users... WP8 would be an improvement for business but we always knew WP8 wouldn't come to exisiting devices so stump up the cash and upgrade properly, or wind your neck in.

Maybe you should get off your rear, stop posting on a fan site, and do some work for your 10000 corperate users then.

Tafsern says:

You can wait a month or two, stop acting like a child.

kwajr says:

What support do you want,wp8 has company apps you can sideload and remote access to device

yarkiebrown says:

Good... Knack off then

the hess says:

The best thing to do is give them direct feed back, though i dout it will do very much.  It is important for you to tell them how you truly feel.  http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2012/11/28...

paulbendall says:

Agree my feedback is on the blog site, might also want to make your feelings known to Joe Belfiore on Twitter @JoeBelfiore

Planblover08 says:

This sux. Had my hopes up and everything

So Samsung Focus won't get it?  Boo :(

phatboy66 says:

You're not the only one. Seems like Microsoft really wants us to buy WP8 devices.

I did buy one, hehe.  My parents aren't planning on buying new phones anytime soon, though, and they're both using first gen WP7.

Coan says:

They never stated which devices will or won't get it explicitely. It could run into the same issue where its still carrier based, which means some carriers won't bother or will wait months to release it...like a certain carrier in the US which decided that it'd be good to finally release Tango today...

xconomicron says:

oh hey, by george that was was AT&T!  Well at least ATT pushed out Tango to about 25% of their WP's now...that just leaves, the Titan, Titan 2, Surround, HD7S, Focus, Focus S, Dell Venue? still on 7720.

ya know, if I ever want to start a business of my own, I think I would take a look at ATT's business model and do the complete opposite of that.  -I mean, ATT is a successful company...and they treat their customers like shit.  Just think what kind of company I could create if I actually didn't do that!

OMG55 says:

Honestly, I was a Gen 1 focus owner and moved on to an L900; I have no complaints with it, however all of you first Gen people who are complaining or disappointed about not getting 7.8 today, I'm sorry but you all should have a wp8 device already; unlike me, you are eligible for an upgrade now

11B1P says:

What part don't you understand? Only the very first users who got a gen 1 phone at release are eligible for an upgrade. I didn't get a Trophy until July '11. My upgrade isn't until spring '13.

tyler198 says:

same here got a trophy in April of last year and im ready for a wp8  im fine with wp mango and wp 7.8 will probably last me until my new 8x (or the Surface Phone if its real), but i still want the latest and greatest if its available

TonyDedrick says:

And you know this how?

Nitaino says:

Wow!... Fail I decided to wait until February to see if Microsoft shows the "surface phone" at MWC and enjoy 7.8 in Q4. But now the picture changed wwaaahh! :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

vg13 says:

bye bye windows its time for android ,that was the last change for them ,i think an s3 is good start :)

ousooner314 says:

As long as you're buying a new device, you may as well consider a WP8 device! :)

Coan says:

This is a good choice, I hear Android has absolutely no issues with devices getting updates and fragmentation for which apps work on different handsets.

I suppose they have the benefit of doing all the work themselves to load on a new ROM...

fraddy says:

and get abandoned when new "revolutionary" Windows Phone 9 is released with WP8 being denied the upgrade due to "hardware incompatibility" which BTW won't be a problem for XDA developers providing the WP9 upgrade to Win Mobile 6.5 phones? MS cares very little about their image. Their competition isn't much better, but MS are quite determined to force people to abandon high quality, new phones...

rainking430 says:

Yeah, good luck with that platform. A while back Samsung promised an ICS update for several older phones (although it had already been released for many months), most with dates except my T989 GS2 which said "coming soon". Guess what, had to wait months for it. Then there was the release of the GS3 as well as Jelly Bean with all of it's improvements. Any update for us lowly GS2 users? Nope. Sound familiar?
So, get your GS3, but you just may find yourself in the same situation you are now once the GS4 comes out next year. I for one would love to have a Windows Phone, the only reason I don't is I'm still on contract.

NIST says:

Troll much?

Oh shut up and go away troll.

tonyfreak215 says:

Hope you enjoy your Google Shit 3.

fraddy says:

Compare the number of SG3 devices sold to the combined number of all Lumias sold and see how ridiculous your comment is.

phatboy66 says:

Really disappointed. I was really anticipating an update for my Samsung Focus 1st Gen

Nitaino says:

I have to get (unlocked) Nokia Lumia 920 then, damn Microsoft now I have to spend more $

DesRed says:

Well, on the bright side, at least you don't have to wait for your carrier/operator to approve an update (which may take days, weeks or even months after the official release). ;)

What about the 7.0 devices? Dvp, hd7, focus, etc.

inteller says:

getting the shaft that's what.

Gemini Ace says:

If you think you're getting the shaft, try switching to iPhone 5 and having to buy a bunch of overpriced Lightning cables.

inteller says:

at least the iPhone5 will be getting updates 2-3 years from now.

schlubadub says:

HD7 will definitely get the update.

xconomicron says:

I said this before and will say it again...

Carriers have control over this UPDATE!  Do not expect any devices on ATT except for the Lumia to get 7.8!

inteller says:

and when that happens Microsoft just needs to provide the update directly to users. There are no 1st gen devices in warranty so liability claims by the ATT shysters.

AriesDog says:

I'm cynical Sprint will release this update for their HTC Arrive customers.

cannon#WP says:

They are getting killed in the blog comments, and rightfully so. I doubt they'll read those though.

MarkAllett says:

7.8 is clearly ready to go, but they'd obviously rather hang onto it to try and tempt more people to buy WP8 over the holidays.

lolpetewtf says:

This.  It's marketing that is holding it up.  Buncha bullshit if you ask me.

kenzibit says:

Complete crap, this is shit. Why do we early adopters always have to wait soo long for something on this platform? What caliber of people are at Microsoft? Early 2013 can be march, april or even june. Why can't microsoft just make us happy for christ's sake? I really regret jumping here seriously and crashing this phone right after this fuckin comment I'm making....damn pissed!!!!

Nataku4ca says:

like... i guess u haven't been an early adopter before, there is a reason we are called early adopters u know...

wtrmlnjuc says:

Early adopters go into new platforms expecting these risks. Not much of a suprise there, buddy.

surya467 says:

Nice work by MS or carriers...so i feel like throwing away my lumia 800 now becasue...everyone with loads of cash in thier pockets can afford a new phone and people like us who dont have cash or cant have the cash to get a NEW phone every 6-7 months have to beg for an update.

Nice..!! Thanks MS..hope its early 2013 meaning January , or they will say Early to be march end...ah still eary 2013!

What if the damn world ends on 21st Dec? Darn i never used the new start screen!  so YAYYY!!  -_-

rchillin says:

Yeah...what he said lol

rchillin says:

This 7.8 has just been one big blunder of a fiasco. Considering there's a proposed update through Apollo+ and the fix coming for the restart bug, I'm really starting to feel shafted as an early adopter. Like what was said earlier, the only silver lining are the rumors of a Surface phone. If it has a camera that gets close to the Lumia 920, then I'm sold. Would be nice if Lumia said "sure Microsoft, you can use our PureView technology" but I doubt it.

Orlok1138 says:

Seems like a waste. I don't think too many will buy low end phones these days. Might as well forget 7.8. Most of us will jump ship or have wp8 by then or soon after. Waste of money, time, and some of our loyalty. I knew today was not gonna happen but 2013? What a joke.

You know they don't even have to do this update at all, stop whining

wtrmlnjuc says:

Carriers have to test this out as well. MS is done the update, but it'll take weeks before carriers finally approve of it.

surya467 says:

i hope MS and whoever responsible for these updates are reading these comments..becasue it sucks..and gues what?

Even if i have the cash i wont buy the WP8 phone..becasue the same thing will happen again for the next phones and updates..YOU JUST LOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS!!!

Gemini Ace says:

Boohoo! Suck it up and get over it.

blessthejon says:

Early as in January?

surya467 says:

ahahhah!!!! NEVER!! xD

ihavewp8 says:

Just get a new wp8 why bother wait for 7.8 update. Most of new wp8 price are dropping.

xconomicron says:

Yo...it's not that simple dude.  Most people here in the US are on contracts.  -And most people who don't have contracts are off in some 3rd world country - barely making enough money to afford a phone as it is -no offense people who are in this situation.  I have a Titan which came out last Oct/Nov...I still have a year left on my contract.  I'm not about to go spend 600$ on a new phone.  I'll stick to custom roms from now on.  -When you want something that you can't have...go to XDA!

because that is exactly what Microsoft wants.

xconomicron says:

Yea, EXACTLY!  It's a pure shame that this was just made crystal clear to it's WP7 customers today.

schlubadub says:

I'm going to wait until the phones are around $500 instead of the current $700-800. Also, first releases of first-gen phones usually have issues so it's better to wait. The 920 & 8X lack microSD, so I'll wait for a decent model with that included (won't get the Ativ). There's nothing on the WP8 OS that's a 'must have' at the moment, and the apps are still rolling out for it. In 6-12 months it'll be worth switching over to.

AMERICANRAJ says:

First of all stop the rumors and speculation. We have enough of that going on at wall street. I have the Lumia 900 and it only updates to 7.10? Are your phones getting 7.5 . Not that I care, I'm happy with what I have. The tiles would be fun to play with.  LMK.

xconomicron says:

LOL. ^  7.10 is 7.5!  Do you have 7.10.8773/9?  .8773 is Tango, .7720 is Mango, .8858 is 7.8...

ejlee072006 says:

Yeah yeah yeah.... By that time surface phone is gonna be announce.. I see how it is...i dont even wait for this 7.8

Well I had a focus too... But I wanted more speed and better layout, so I got the 920 and I don't regret it. Save your money and upgrade!!!

TK2011 says:

Yeah I just upgraded from Focus to 920 too. I didn't know they let you upgrade a bit early without penalty.

stevethenerd says:

They have promised 2013 from the first look at the new start screen... That message has never changed

Gemini Ace says:

If you have a first gen phone go upgrade to WP8. Otherwise stop complaining.

TK2011 says:

1st gen owners expecting 7.8 are being unrealistic in my opinion. Carriers (and MS too) have better things to do than upgrade two year old devices that are already being put out of service.

Impatient 2nd gen owners probably should just go the XDA DIY route instead of whining here like 7 year kids. It's not MS's fault that some fan sites constantly drum up the 7.8-in-any-day rumor and got you disappointed. People who've seen with 7.0 know this very well -- rumors from many fan sites are just plain unreliable.

As a owner of both Focus and 920, I can tell you that you will love the new tile system. Being able to squeeze in many small tiles onto the home screen makes a world of difference. The other major thing I noticed with 920 is speed. But that probably has more to do with hardware than OS. Good luck.

LaNiQuE says:

I guess I was right in expecting 7.8 early next year but id still prefer a date or maybe tell us when you will tell us what date. Im assuming my 900 will be first to get 7.8 but I could be wrong. Since my upgrade is so far away it doesn't matter but if Microsoft is keeping us up to date with info it makes me feel better after not getting a wp8 full update.

This will hold me over until the Surface Phone arrives X-D

Jakeway says:

I love Windows Phone 7 and was an early adopter (before nodo). Once Nokia was on board I managed to convince 12 of my friend and family to buy a Windows Phone 7, most of whom have only gotten one in the last six month... but there two things, two oversights people keep asking me about and they are little things have been fixed in Windows Phone 8.
The first is Font size.
It seems everyone over 40 with a windows phone can’t read their text messages or some live tiles very well... But they especially can’t read details in their contact list, such as email or phone number. This is because the text gets subsequently smaller as a stylistic choice.
This seems to be an issue that is affecting the silent majority who wouldn’t comment about the issue on socially media and forums.
The second is Multi File Select.
I am asked all the about a quicker way to email a bunch of pictures or deleted a bunch of pictures. I know this is something that has been fixed in WP8 and again it is a seemly small issue that seems to bother just about everyone.
I myself would like to see a few other small menu options from WP8 , such as screen shot and photo editing (rotate, crop) and the lock screen charms and Xbox music... but I think the last two issues are quite cripping for the platform is not resolve. As they are the two things that effect your everyday customer.
So I hope these two little things make it into 7.8. and just are not being spoken of because they're not headline grabbing features.

LaNiQuE says:

Can someone answer this billion dollar question why are people with 2 year old phones complaining more then 900 800 and 710 Titan2 owners give me a break and either wait a few months for ur upgrade silently or leave to ISO or Android but we don't want to hear about it also there is enough WP bashing going on at other sites take it there

inteller says:

It is because the head and face of Windows Phone Belfiore went on record in June saying that all 7.5 devices would get the update. Also, the great people at XDA already have the 7.8 ROM running on first gen devices. If first gen devices don't get this, it will be a sham and in the end a lie.

zacman says:

First Gen devices aren't 7.5 devices, they are 7.0 devices. 7.5 devices are those that originally shipped with 7.5.

aubreyq says:

Also it's not so much about 7.8, but AT&T never pushed the keyboard fix so the Focus has a history of being blown off.

caesar500 says:

Thank you for stating that fact. I've bitched at At&t numerous times about this. They always say that they do not block updates.

wpguy says:

You do realize there are countries where three-year contracts are the norm...

SEKKDS says:

I have heard this will be released in conjunction with the Windows Phone 9 release. =/

Mic98 says:

I want the 7.8 update because im waiting almost an year now and since im 14 im going to use the new start screen to pick up girls! (yeah, im a failure)

TK2011 says:

LOL. Seriously, you can pick up some girls with the new start screen. It's the best part of WP8. iOS just doesn't work anymore. In fact, I bet it actually DECREASES your chances of success because it's so old and boring now.

Face2000 says:

Well that sucks I was hoping the rumors where right but it sounded to good to be true anyway I'll just go back to waiting for the tango update for my titan 2 maybe one day I'll get it.

ambesound says:

What a bunch of moaners. Microsoft run a business, they exist as a business. They will have worked out that they will make more money holding off on 7.8 so people buy new WP8 devices. They will have a few unhappy 7/7.5 owners who will scream and go to android thinking they will get updates forever (which i know is definatly not the case, as a previous android user). But they will make more money and get more WP users into their ecosystem by not providing 7.8 over the holiday period. 7.8 will likely also confuse customers who are trying to tell the difference between WP7 and WP8 devices when shopping for christmas gifts.

mcpayton says:

You stop that!  This is no place for reason and common sense.

while what you write is true, I think it's dangerous on microsoft's side f****ing your most early and loyal supporters like that. Right now with Windows Phone 8, their biggest and perhaps last chance in the smartphone market, ANY kind of negative publicity is not good. And negative publicity from Day-One WP-loyalists is even worse.
On top of that, I think it would actually be a good idea to push 7.8 before christmas. It got the same looks as WP8 after all, so it might get friends of WP 7.8-users interested in the OS. But well, i guess the ppl at Microsoft calculated the best course of action, so the plan you wrote would end with more WP8 devices sold.

dinchy87 says:

Not only Microsoft. We can not forget that Nokia too struggles with business. So they must sell devices and not updates... So i understand microsoft and the oems.

TonyDedrick says:

Then why even bother with such an update in the first place ?

OscarMaDi says:

Oh, c'mon people, calm down. You seem so stupid.
There's just one month left for 2013, what's the problem? The SO feels old and obsolete just because you can't resize the tiles? (The other features coming with 7.8 are just little extras like the accent colors or the live lock screen)
I've been loving Windows Phone since the first day I got my lumia 710 and I'll still loving it. Of course I want to get the last update, but I'm not gonna start crying because I don't have it today.
We can wait the time it takes, we still having our 7.5 devices, aren't we?
So stop complaining MS and thank and enjoy them for the job they're doing for us.

xconomicron says:

Yes while it is true that this seems like a stupid complaint...but it's not really.

Your point of view is different from everyone elses.  For instance, I am on AT&T, I have a Titan and so do some other friends of mine.  There is a bug in WP that makes the keyboard disappear whenever you type.  It is the one most annoyingst things in the world whenever you're trying to type an email or text.

This is directed towards ATT mostly - Tango was supposed to be pushed out to fix this keyboard problem on every ATT WP7 device...however it wasn't and only to Lumia owners/a few Samsung devices and just recently Focus 2 owners.

While I have gone over and pushed out Tango to my phone -even put a custom rom on it...there are still MANY WP7 users who face this problem and are too scared to push these updates themselves to their phones (voiding warranty, bricking scares...etc)

Now with all that said...if ATT didn't push out the Tango update to most WP7 users, what makes it say that 7.8 will be pushed out just like Tango was?  AND lets say they do push out this update to everyone, the longer they wait with this, the more likely they will lose customers due to this annoying bug.

Anyway, this update should've been passed up from the carriers and directly pushed out by MS.  Carriers can take as long as 3-9 months trying to "test" updates before they are released to the public.

soulzero says:

This is Pure CRAP!... This update should have been rolled out in Aug. or Sept. if for nothing else but to entice WP7.5 users into buying WP8 devices... and ramp up App compatibilty with WP8... I blame this Terry Myerson guy... Ever since he's been in charge of Windows Phone... its been one mess after another... Windows Phone (as a whole) really can't afford any of these silly Mishaps and Bad PR. Leave this Nonsense for Bla-droid (who by the way is getting its act straight). And that comment "we’re working closely with our hardware and carrier partners to get it tested, approved, and rolled out to as many devices as possible in early 2013" just says to me that if your WP7.5 device has recieved the Tango update from your carrier, Then its a good bet they will provide 7.8 Blah, Blah, Blah... What Malarky! Fat chance on AT&T...

jfa1 says:

No that was never a possibility MS said it was coming sometime after the release of WP8 devices  which has only been going on for what two weeks.  While I was certainly hoping for a nice birthday present today its not happening.  It will happen early in 2013   When "early" is remains open for (rampant) speculation.  Its just a phone or just a smartphone.  Is it life or death?  NO Jimminy Christmas  guys chill out.  Ranting about Microsoft ATT  Nokia  gets you high blood pressure a stroke or heart attack! It it worth that?? NO Chill out.

textomatic says:

I'm sticking with my L900 until Microsoft fixes the mess that is called Xbox Music and Xbox Video.  I just wish the update would come sooner.  Right now I'm feeling like a second class citizen in Microsoft's ecosystem.

Kon-Aitor says:

I am too, I bought a Windows 8 laptop, and the Windows Phone App and the Windows Phone Desktop client don't support  WP7. And none of the documentation refers to WP7. So i just downloaded zune.
It really does feel like a slap in the face. Going out and buying the Focus Day One, and they same with the L900, and now bascily feeling like ive made a mistake.

androidnav says:

I believe firstly all devices that were released with wp7.5 will receive updates first to wp7.8 such as lumia 900, HTC titan etc. As they seem like priority to Microsoft. Then last will come the phones of 1st gen such as Samsung omnia 7, focus, lg optimus 7. May or may not get the update. That's my opinion. Its already rumoured the lg's won't get a update to wp7.8. Its officially stated that Microsoft want the wp7.8 to be as close as possible to wp8. They don't want risks so there playing the safe game. Also not all wp8 handsets are released such as Samsung ativ s. Which will be given a chance to sell. Then comes in 7.8 and the windows phone revolution will begin... Hopefully...

Holy hell. I had a busted HD7 since last November and bought a Radar off Craigslist like new. I knew that neither would make the jump to WP 8. I also knew that the WP 7.8 update would not follow the same OTA updating scheme as WP8 will. I am what most people consider a patient informed user, as I'm sure many here are. I have told friends and relatives interested in WP to wait. Be patient if you really want a WP. Those of you complaining about your first Gen devices possibly not getting WP7.8 need to chill out. This is the process they must follow for the 7.5 crowd. Nothing has changed in that realm and NONE are of you should be surprised. Either suck it up, buy a WP8, or change platforms. I prefer WP's aesthetic to any other mobile device and this situation didn't phase me in the slightest. I simply bought an unlocked 920 off Craigslist and now im sitting pretty. Have some damn solidarity. Would you jump out of a plane if the turbulence was too violent?

I Spiritus I says:

Bah, got my hopes built up there :(. Owell back to playing with the Surface lol. On a side note the surface phone sounds interesting!

Was that 2013 or 2014?..... I might have the Microsoft made phone by the time they roll this out. They are taking their sweet time.......

ldp247 says:

I am so tired of the whining about when 7.8 is coming out. Listen, most of you will be upgrading your phones soon anyway. As for the ones that have said that they are leaving for Android or IOS, the all I have to say is "BYE". Because we don't need you anyway. MS has done an outstanding job with WP7 & WP8. I wm disappointed that the update is pushed back, but that hasn't changed how I feel about my phone. If you think about it, MS has done a great job up until this point with getting us our updates. And to all you cellular experts, they do have control over any updates coming through their network.

aubreyq says:

I agree with the core sentiment of your comment except when you say MS has done an "outstanding job" or "great job." They have not. At most, they've done an OK job.

ldp247 says:

how can you say they've done an ok job. Look at Android customers, they are using a sub par is at best, IOS customers are still using the same user interface. Windows Phone can go toe to toe with those OSs and still hold it's own. I'm glad that MS does send out an OS update every 6 mos and still the phone doesn't work correctly (Android fan-boys). So you are upset about an update that is being pushed back from what the RUMORS had told us.

ldp247 says:

RaRa85 says:

Microsoft has done a great job TELLING us about the 7.8 update and wait, Ben the PC guy shows us a demo running on the Lumia 900. But you guys just wait another seven months or so. Please, my upgrade isn't until 2014 and T-Mobile doesn't carry anything worth upgrading early for when the phone I would upgrade early for is stuck on AT&T. This whole thing is upsetting.

aubreyq says:

I hear you, man.

ldp247 says:

At what point did you get a date set in stone by Microsoft???? You didn't, you got rumors and speculation, that is all.

schlubadub says:

"cellular experts"? Why are you hating on the biologists? :P

monigal2 says:

I'm not surprise...we always have to play the waiting game for anything dealing with windows phone..

aubreyq says:

No kidding!

Harley Hart says:

This is EXTREMELY frustrating. Microsoft is treating Microsoft like Google and Apple where they treat new customers better than existing ones. Thanks!

RaRa85 says:

"The Waiting Game." a movie coming soon sometime in 2013 brought to you by Microsoft.

aubreyq says:

and 2014...2015...

AlmondAdam says:

Ever been at a restraunt and been sat a table and noticed all the waiters seem to be doing is showing people to tables?
That's what this feels like.
Microsoft are more bothered with people coming on board with Windows Phone initially that they're neglecting/ignoring those of us who are already there. I was considering part trading in my Nokia Lumia 800 for the 820, or even the HTC 8X, but the 7.8 had put the brakes on that until now, but after this half arsed "update" (only update I've ever heard where we knew less than we did to begin with) I'm debating wether or not say "f**k it all and get a Sony Xperia T!".

Note to Microsoft: you are losing your customers, we're sneaking out through the kitchen and going to the Tandoori next door. (Or at least, in my case, I'm eyeing up the emergency exit and plotting an escape route.).

dinchy87 says:

I suggest you all on wp7.5 which want an update - flash an 7.8 (7.10.8858) ROM and be happy. I have the 7.8 since it was leaked. And it is great, the newer version is even better, no bugs, nothing. Everything is fine. I understand that you all are pissed off, and thats ok but understand Nokia, HTC and the other they must earn something. With an update what would they sell? I just say if you really want this new start screen which is very good and a fresh feeling like a new phone. Then flash a custom rom. Search for xda developers for furhter info. Everybody there is willing to help!

berrywr says:

I agree and that's exactly what I did.  Look, I am as unhappy about this as many here are but I updated my HD2 to Windows Phone 7.8.8835 as I have my Titan I to 8835 courtesy of the extraordinary work over at XDA-Developers and I would encourage those of you who have the know-how and courage to "jailbreak" your devices, do so!  It is important before you buy your devices to say to yourself what if...Microsoft, AT&T...other carriers do not fulfill their promises...one, can these devices be jailbroken, custom flashed, etc.  I refuse to own a Titan II for that reason.  China seems to have the 8858 build and I have faith the boys over at XDA will have ROMs ready to go before this post is cemented here.  It's a beautiful UI, no doubt but what drives me nuts is what was Microsoft thinking not allowing Skype and other apps to not run in background and worse and I share your frustration; with a 3% marketshare...you'd think if Microsoft and its partners are serious about Windows Phone, they might want to listen, really listen to those of us who have been loyal to these devices and think about making their software compatible across mutliple mobile operating systems.  It's the same crap they said upgrading from Windows Mobile 6.5 to Windows Phone 7.x and prior to 7.5 was a wreck to start with.  Windows Phone 8...same thing; I say to myself what exactly is in it that is so different than 7.8 or why 7.8 can't be made as compatible as possible to 8.x despite hardware limitations.  Everyday XDA makes impossible...possible, I would think Microsoft if they're serious about this platform...think outside the box, what Android use to be in the old days.  I say to myself what more do we need to do with smart phones that hasn't already been done?

dinchy87 says:

I already have this newer buld 8858. A few days a go some people made it. But is a group of people they cover the most devices. I have it on my htc 7 pro. And there is no bug in sigght and i use it three or four days. so i encourage too all people do flash because the waranty is maybe gonne on some old devices. And on a titan a newer 7.8 build that makes the titan a killer device. I'm thinking of buying an used titan and sell this htc 7 pro. And flash an custom 7.8 (8858) rom. Wp8 is today just to high for my budget because i pay the full rate for my phones, ant not on contract.

I don't know why people are complaining. The longer Microsoft keeps it, the better its going to be when we finally get it.

dinchy87 says:

Right. Maybe they are adding even more stuff to it the later it comes. Maybe the lockscreen 3rd party notifications like sms email whatsapp facebook and so on on ability. Or even live lockscreen 3rd party apps to display info on the lockscreen. i even would think that they could add the other stuff too like paypal app payment for 7.8 so we can use paypal too and not only wp8

neelagopi says:

Hey... they can always release 7.8.1 and then later update to 7.8.2
Its kinda frustrating... waiting for this long... 1 year since HTC Titan... not a single update... still that irritating keyboard issue is present!

dinchy87 says:

I know what you mean i hated this keyboard disapearing. And i was so happy to have it fixed in the end. But have you tried to send an .cab update to your titan? Its worth! I would do it. And i would do it also on a 7.8 update if there was one and if i handt already flashed this rom.

dinchy87 says:

and i wanted to say you about you titan. I would be happy if i had this phone. Is looks really god. I've seen a 7.8 rom on one and it is a real killer device. Ok there are better ones now but i would still buy one. And in germany the price is even not so high a new titan is about 250-300€ thats the half of an lumia 920

neelagopi says:

Mine is AT&T version.. there are some restrictions on installing unofficial version... so wil wait for warrantly to expire and try custom ROM or .cab... which is like 2-3 weeks from now...

xconomicron says:

WTF? NO! 7.8 RTM'd about 2 weeks ago...they are done with the final build.  I in fact have the final build on my Titan right now.  It is 7.10.8858...

It is coming later because of this carrier testing bullshit they have to do.  Which means, they are picking and choosing which phones get 7.8 and which phones who don't.

Anyway the only thing I see new on the final build is the new WP8 UI, the live icon of Zune is somewhat "cooler" now, a clock hub (HTC phones), the lock screen can now incorporate daily Bing wallpapers, and icons of Office, Xbox Live, and the marketplace have been updated to it's current standard.

dinchy87 says:

There are few customizations that normal people dont see on the first. The live tiles flip now like wp8. I have compare it to the wp7 and it looks faster and better. Some new transitions in the ui are visible too. I also noticed that some screen have now lanscape view which hadnt before on tango. So there a few improvements and i think the ie is better

Weavile2196 says:

2013? This is honestly ridiculous. Why couldn't they release everything in one shot? Windows 8 WITH 7.8 update?

I feel like switching to Android.

Then you really wouldn't get an update, you seriously don't know how dumb that sounds.

Kadcidxa says:

Might just be my last Windows Phone if they dont give 7.8 for first gen Focus. Unless we get some ROMS. Tired of this crap.

caesar500 says:

It's been extremely frustrating. I have a 920, but still have games and apps I use on the Focus.

sdreamer says:

You'd think with all this time and resources being spent to retool 7, that they could have spent making 8 compatible with single core, lol. I was assuming 7.8 would be easy enough that they'd just throw it out so they can focus on 8 from this point on. Oh well, hope early means early and not late into the first half of the year.

wizard32843 says:

"The smartphone beta test is over."

cyancey says:

You guys are too funny. Didn't this stuff happen with the previous update? Seems to me that the choices we have go get wp8 wait for the 7.8 gift to be given out or flash. I will continue to enjoy my phone :)

schlubadub says:

Feb/March 2013 would be in line with the updates that were rolled out this year at the same time

dsba says:

IMHO, This update will arrive soon in 2013. There are many countries still selling 900 800 & 710's and this upgrade will arrive in line with the new WP8 devices...

Jazmac says:

Early 2013?? Not January 15th or March 1st?  Early 2013??  Seriously?   That's a risky move Microsoft.

DJCBS says:

Well, one thing's for sure: the Lumia 800 was my first Windows Phone...and my LAST.

Microsoft can shove their never-coming-updates up that place where the sun doesn't shine. I've never seen a company mistreat so badly the costumers who gave them a chance in the first place. Not even Apple does this and they have the moral fiber of a tree.
Microsoft deserves to die in the phone market. And die painful and slowly.

The only thing I hope is that there's still someone with brains at Nokia that decides to take the company out of this disaster of a partnership and just go to Google and have the Lumias with Android instead.

Oh and that Surface tablet I was planning on getting? Yeah, Microsoft can forget it too.

Amazing how they've managed to loose a client for two products just because of their laziness and greed ('cause, let's face it. They're avoding the 7.8 update to try to make people go buy a more expensive WP8 instead. They know WP 7.8 may very well be a death sentence to the WP8 platform with the prices they're practicing now).

Sorry, I must have missed the the bit where Microsoft promised that you were somehow entitled to free endless updates to your phone. You are the greedy one, you bought a WP7 device and the fact that Microsoft are gifting you 7.8 is a privilege. Does your car get a free engine update every time a new model comes out? You bought a WP7 device, therefore all you should get is updates to WP7 to keep it working.

Thank you for putting him in his place

DJCBS says:

No. What you missed were the classes where they teached you to READ. Sorry for that, but it's never too late.
Otherwise you would have seen that I didn't asked for anything, apart from Microsoft not being a bunch of a**holes. I don't give a sh*t if they are releasing new updates for WP7 or not. I do, however, when they promisse something and then decide to never fullfil that promisse. The WP7.8 update was announced IN JUNE. Why the hell do they announce an update - which will basically be a makeover, nothing more - if they don't intend to release it until the next year? I'll tell you why. To p*ss people off. Specially since the core-strategy of WP8 is based on the Lumia devices, the fact that they've released them unprepared for the WP8 when it was already being finished. They did it on purpose. People go and buy the Lumias. Then they release WP8 and NEW Lumias. Then they promisse an update for the old ones. And then they endlessly delay said update in an attempt to make people so tired of waiting that they go and blow another 600€ on a new device. That's what pisses me of.
I don't care if they've left WP7.5 where it is. Promising updates that never come, that's what pisses me of. That's why I'm not buying a WP again. Nor the Surface (specially since I bet they'll pull the same trick with the Pro version and new versions after that one. Pretty much like I expect them to come up with a WP9 soon).
If they don't intend to release the update soon, then they should have kept their mouths shut. It's not a "privilege" to get a cosmetic update. I didn't asked for it. They offered it. If they offered it, then release it.
Did you got it this time? Or should I type it again?

Again, I must have missed when they announced it in june and promised you'd have it the week after. A new version was announced, and they are releasing it, it's up to them when they do, and why would you think they'd release this quickly, they've had WP8 to be getting on with. And as they never set a release date for 7.8 initially, how can it have been delayed?
Oh, and as much as I hate the whole grammar nazi thing, you should really learn the difference between the word "Specially" and "Especially". Do so, and you'll come across as less of an uneducated moron.

DJCBS says:

Master my mother thong (which ISN'T English) to the level I master yours and then I'll allow you to be a grammar nazi you fucking worm.

yarkiebrown says:

Hahahahahahaha... xx

schlubadub says:

"loose a client"? Did they have clients caged up or something?

DJCBS says:

The day you manage to master my mother language at the same level I master yours, you'll be entitled to try and be witty about mistypes. ;)

schlubadub says:

Haha ;) It was only a joke as I found the concept of setting a client loose to be amusing :)

All the people ragin get a grip. Who seriously thought they were gonna release this a month after WP 8? They are going to wait for anyone who wanted a new device to get one then push the new update. For months I stated here that I wanted the 900 or Titan II bad coming from my Gen 1 device but knew 8 was coming soon. For alot that did upgrade are the ones complaining now.

This reminds me of the release of the Xbox 360 and how much loyal costumers wanted backwards compatibility.

CronGM says:

As Windows Phone 8 hasn't even been announced in Mexico, I'm very eager to get the 7.8 update. But now that the only info about a release date is "early 2013", my patience is running out. Also, there's that rumor about the Optimus 7 not getting WP 7.8... :(

dmill74 says:

I hope the Verizon HTC trophy gets it

DavidinCT says:

You can, but, there is no release for a custom rom with the final RTM version YET but, they are working on it. Watch the Trophy dev section over on XDA. I am running the early 7.8 rom besides some tiles not able to go back to large, it works great.

judas2100 says:

tile resizing and a few tweaks like selecting multiple files etc. well ms take your time, just make sure when u deliver it to users it works

MrSean490 says:

Will I be able to backup my texts with WP7.8 or is there a different way?

I predict that by the time 7.8 is release, there would be much 7.5 phone around to benefit from it. The purpose of ''delaying'' its release is of course is to ensure that 7.8 do not ''block'' the sales of 8 phones in the market. Its that simple.

camptime says:

Great way to treat you existing customers. Have been looking to purchase a 920 as well, not one to be found here in Thailand.

The attitude of entitlement strikes again

Why don't these blind Terry Myerson supporters understand that many thousands of us who bought early versions of the windows phone have remained with MS for decades with windows pc and make a big part of MS's value chain? Terry pisses me off with the 7.8 update and I have decided to buy a Mac to replace my ageing PC this month. How long will MS let loyal customers migrate to an increasingly strong competitor' s eco system? For the peanuts it will make by pausing a simple phone update. I hope MS will identify Terry Myerson's incompetence and fires him by early 2013.

luizmeme says:

I have the 7.8 (build .8858)  on my Titan. I don't know why everyone is bitching about the release date, the RTM build is leaked. Everyone could get it.

DavidinCT says:

Not everyone wants to do a custom rom. Personally, I am waiting for a release of it for my HTC Trophy (verizon). They are working on it but, nothing for me yet...

schlubadub says:

uhh... so you're saying we should be fine to trash all of our messages, saved games etc to install a pirated ROM? Right...

My IE has been broken for around a year now (tabs don't work) and I can't reset my phone as I will lose too much data. There's no way I'd install some dodgy ROM to not only lose all my data, but then have possible stability issues.

xconomicron says:

obviously you haven't been in the development scene lately with WP7...

WP7 roms are stable enough from every rom developer.  The development of these roms are nothing like Android/WM development where you have stability issues.  I am a rom chef myself over on XDA and running my own personal rom right now.

Anyway, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't flash to a custom rom...as most people wouldn't want to void their warrantys and such...but in the end, it's your choice and its your own device.  You can do what you want with it.

BTW, doing a hard reset would most likely "fix" your IE problem....but you would lose your data.

dirkatron says:

Yeah not buying a new wp8 as I can't afford it. I will have to wait until 7.8. Which is starting to feel like forever. :(

Mordor2112 says:

If the 7.8 isn't much more than some extra tiles and colors, why does MS need all that "testing" ?

captaincomps says:

Hugely dissappointed.

Paradigm_1 says:

Now I hate MS and will never recommend anybody to buy their products as I used to do!

fraddy says:

I have Vista. Guess what Microsoft wants me to do if I want to have IE10... Or their newest Office... They don't care about their existing customers as much as they care about their prospective ones. This is Wild West "miracle cure balm" type of capitalism. Sooner than later your dissatisfied customers may make your life quite uncomfortable, Microsoft! You are becoming Google's greatest asset! I am planning to switch to Android 4.2 or higher.

Pages