Parcel Tracker phone app becomes Package Tracker and completes Windows 8 experience

Are you an Amazon Prime member? If so and you’re like us, the UPS delivery person was invited to your Thanksgiving dinner because you see him so much. That also means you want to track your shipments in real-time as much as possible (especially with those high-value items).

Package Tracker (formerly known as Parcel Tracker) was recently pulled from the Windows Phone Store due to “not enough interest” from consumers. But after much haranguing from loyal customers, they returned and even released a Windows 8 app that promised future syncing capability—well that day has arrived.

Package Tracker 5 for Windows Phone has now been released and although it looks the same it now has that cloud-syncing ability, which means your desktop client and phone can keep up to date with each other. Enter once, sync everywhere.

The app still needs a Windows Phone 8 update e.g. double wide tile, perhaps some lockscreen notifications but the cloud sync ability via SkyDrive is a great reason to pick up Package Tracker.

You can grab a trial of Package Tracker here from the Windows Phone Store for $2.49 (£1.99) and the Windows 8 RT app here in the Windows 8 Store for $2.99 (£2.19). We recommend both. Thanks, Eric D., for the tip

QR: Package Tracker

Comments

WinFan1 says:

Hey daniel question why is it that apps i buy on the windows phone store arent paid for on my surface? im not too technically savvy but i thought that would be possible.

Different Marketplaces/Stores :-/  It's not like iOS in that sense (then again, devs get around it by having HD or iPad-only versions).

fwaits says:

Well technically because unlike iOS and Android, apps on the phone are not the same app on the tablet/PC.  So they are actually coding 2 apps even though they probably share a good deal of code in many cases.

WinFan1 says:

Aaron M says:

I agree WinFan1, it is lame.  The WinRT and WinPhoneRT API's are not yet completely converged (and may never be).  But hopefully MS will at least implement some type of virtualized run time which lets you run your phone apps on your tablet.  For now I simply refuse to pay for the same app twice.

Kerwin Ellis says:

I haven't got a WP however I do have a Surface and WIN8 running on 3 PCs. The apps purchased can be installed on no more than 5 PCs. On all the PC Settings there's an Option to TRUST THIS PC which needs to be validated in your Microsoft Account. Once validation is completed, so to your Store App and Swipe Down/Righ-click and select Your Apps and you'll see a listing of all your PCs from which you could view both Free and Paid apps; from which you could install (PAID APPS) on no more than 5 PCs
Hope this helps

Bernard Wei says:

It's the same for Apple, iPhone app purchases don't share with Mac OS app purchases. Very often the same app cost a lot more for OS X compare to the on IOS.

Bernard Wei says:

Forgot to add that Microsoft group surface and surface pro with Windows 8, separated from Windows Phone 8.

Agent-P says:

I'm going to explain the Apple app store situation vs the Windows Store situation based on my POV.

Apple gives developers the option to make one app that can be compatible on the iPhone (phone) and iPad (tablet), but not OSX (computer). So two of their three options can share apps. This is mostly because Apple views phones and tablets in the same categrory (hence they both run iOS) while computers are their own category.

On the other hand, Microsoft gives developers the option to make one app compatible on Windows 8 Pro (computer) and Windows 8 RT (tablet), but not Windows Phone (phone). Again, two of the three options share apps, just like Apple. The reason the combination is different is because Microsoft sees copmuters and tablets in the same category (hence why they both run Win8) and phones in their own category.

Make sense now? Microsoft just chooses to group their three devices differently than Apple   :)

Bernard Wei says:

+1 well said :)

ihavewp8 says:

Now the developers app brought app back seeing wp8 is selling like hotcakes. LoL

Tahiti Bob says:

They came back before WP8 because their customers begged them to not pull the app. Nothing to do with WP8 sales.

ousooner314 says:

Like Tahiti Bob said, it has nothing to do with WP8. They received a lot of emails from users asking them to reconsider. It's one of the best tracking apps in the marketplace (my opinion), and removing it really would have been a blow.

lancguy says:

I love the idea, but not really willing to pay for a trial ap

Tahiti Bob says:

Pay for a trial app? That doesn't make any sense :D

ousooner314 says:

In my opinion, it's the best tracking app in the market (so far) in terms of visual appearance and usability. It's also not a trial app. It's a full featured app (if that's what you meant).

cdbstl76 says:

I love this. Especially this time of year. I too have a "relationship" with my UPS delivery man. I don't shop in stores for the most part. I have everything delivered!

Prefer the other Packagetracker (no space).

Tahiti Bob says:

It's only good if you live in the US though.

willied says:

It's 1 of the 2 apps I've bought, so it means a lot to me. :P

Glad I bought it when it was $.99 since I'm such a cheapskate. heh

And yes, Amazon Prime is the best thing ever. I wish they would release an Amazon Instant Video app for WP!

cdbstl76 says:

Shoot, we can't even watch Xbox videos

hellboarder says:

In regards to Apple and MS store, on Apple you sometimes can buy iPad and iPhone version as one but will have to pay again on Mac App Store, with MS you have Windows RT and Windows 8 where you don't have to pay again if you bought one app on either system but have to pay again for the phone

WinFan1 says:

Oh that's pretty lame lol I'd have thought they would have a unified marketplace o well que sera sera :P

Sweet! Just bought it for WP8 and my Surface (and Windows 8 desktop) very cool!

pjs37 says:

Awesome!  That was something I missed was a synced package tracking app that I had in iOS (I used TrackThis)

blackfire says:

While I seriously prefer they had a unified store for Win8/RT/Phone, I understand some of the technical challanges behind it at this point in time. At least Windows 8 and Windows RT Stores are the same, but I look forward to see Phone integrated somewhere to complete the unified experience.
Now that said, I feel I'm already fully invested in the Windows Ecosystem, and having tested this app in the past, I decided to buy the two version (for WinPhone and for Windows 8/RT). Cloud integration was awesome!! I set up the Cloud integration on both devices, then I added a few packages I'm waiting for to the Win8 app. A few minutes later, toast notifications on both devices with updates on one of my packages. I'm glad to see the developer continues supporting the app and the platform. :-)

Agent-P says:

I'm going to explain the Apple app store situation vs the Windows Store situation.

On the other hand, Microsoft gives developers the option to make one app copmatible on Windows 8 Pro (computer) and Windows 8 RT (tablet), but not Windows Phone (phone). Again, two of the three options share apps, just like Apple. The reason the combination is different is because Microsoft sees copmuters and tablets in the same category (hence why they both run Win8) and phones in their own category.

jhoff80 says:

I really wish that both the WP8 and W8 versions had the option for a single tile to cycle through information for all of my expected packages.  From what I've seen, you need to individually pin tiles still, taking up more space than if the main one just did it.

Murgatroyd7 says:

I'm curious...is there a disadvantage to not updating my WP7 version of Parcel Tracker?  Cloud syncing doesn't apply to me, so as long as my push notifications, I might just stick with the version I have.  I know this is silly, but I don't like the new Live tile.

nsg1000 says:

Great story, will have to look at this on my work machine.  You have a touch cover... nice.

CarolynWPFan says:

Anyone having issues with battery drain? Something I added to my phone is draining my battery... I'm wondering if its this?