VLC for Windows

VLC Windows 8.1 update coming soon, Windows Phone app delayed again

VLC making its way to Windows Phone very soon

General Accessories

Swich wireless charger base looks for funding via Kickstarter

Windows

Steam's hardware stats show over 25 percent of its gamers use Windows 8/8.1

Windows

Windows 8 and 8.1 still struggle to gain PC market share

Arcus Motion Analyzer 'smart ring' announced with Kickstarter campaign

Microsoft shows off the #SustainableLumia 1520 in green with recycled back cover

Windows

Point of View announces three affordable Windows 8 tablets, available this summer

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Check out latest discoveries and more with the New Scientist magazine on Windows 8

Windows

Report claims Microsoft's desktop Start menu won't appear until Windows 9 in 2015

Windows

Windows will support Xbox One controller 'very soon'

Microsoft will carry on selling Windows 7 to the Chinese government

Chinese government gives Windows 8 the cold shoulder

Microsoft software developer job posting hints at Cortana on Windows

Orée Pebble 2 is a beautiful natural material Qi charger looking for Kickstarter backers

Tablets

Sony's convertible Windows 8 laptop, the VAIO Flip 13

Microsoft said to be speeding up Windows release cycle

How To

Here's how to make Windows 8.1 more like Windows 7 (in case you're weird like that)

Windows

4K display touting Toshiba Satellite P55t gets priced, launching later this month

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Grab some popcorn and kick back with these top movie and television apps for Windows 8

VLC starts up Kickstarter for Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 development funding

VLC Windows 8

The popular media player VLC is setting its sights on Windows 8 and beyond. The developers are calling for donations to be sent forward to fund further development into hiring third-party aid. This will help create a top quality experience on Microsoft's latest platforms. At the time of writing the project has a backing of £4,532 pledged so far with 252 donators.

With 29 days to go, it's time to empty the pockets and support the team in bringing across the player's functionality to Windows 8 with an aesthetically pleasing interface. But that's not all. As the title suggests, the team is also looking at Windows Phone 8 (as mentioned in the video), which is a huge bonus for owners of new hardware from Nokia and HTC.

Snippet from the project page on Kickstarter:

"This new port will be natively integrated within the new User Experience and will also support ARM-based tablets in a subsequent release In contrast to the built-in media player, VLC for Windows 8 we intend to add support for DVDs and VCDs out-of-the box as well as unencrypted Blu-Rays. All the features known from our current releases will be retained like a full fledged equalizer, video filters and superior support for subtitles."

There are a number of VLC solutions for Windows Phone (with streaming and other functionality), but it's always better for consumers to have official support on the Store. A concept has already been drafted and the team is confident the app will be able to take full advantage of the Windows Store and with the backing of followers and fans, they hope for a speedy arrival. No word on Windows Phone progress, however.

You can add your donations on its Kickstarter page.

Comments

THIS I can got on board with. VLC has been amazing on any OS I ever ran it on. Donating now!

(P.S. We want video scrubbing not crappy 15-30 skips by pushing forward!)

Fail! Just press and hold the forward and back buttons.

TechAbstract says:

It's the same way when playing music. I never had trouble playing videos or music.

I thought this was for wp8 when I first posted. Getting to a specific scene in a two hour movie on wp8 is fail...

KellenRS says:

I'm one of the devs who's working on this project.  This Kickstarter is for Windows Phone 8 as well as Windows 8.  Once we get the core VLC libs working with WinRT it will work on WP8 as well.  Unless I'm overlooking something, the WP8 release should basically happen at the same time as the RT release.  A beta for WP8 may even be availible sooner than the WinRT version because the store is more mature for WP8.
Your raise a great point with scrubbing.  It's something I've been disapointed with in WP7/8.  I actually listen to a lot of DJ sets which can be 2 hours plus.  To me the holding a button approach to scrubbing isn't really accurate enough.  Getting it right on a phone sized screen might be a bit of a challenge, but personally I think it's worth the effort.
For the desktop scrubbing will likely be exactly like (or extrememly close) to the Xbox Video app in the finished version.

jsnod25 says:

MPC via K-Light codec should be just fine on Surface pro... No need for VLC, though ARM support for the RT would be cool

pressstart says:

Straight up MPC-HC is more than enough. No need for codec packs :) I don't use other players anyway, so no reason for codec installations for me

Aaron M says:

"we intend to add support for DVDs" - this is pretty crucial considering W8 drops out of the box DVD support.  Look forward to the release.

vel0city says:

Well, x86 computers running Windows 8 can run the regular VLC just fine.

Chances are, if you have a DVD drive, you're either using a laptop or a desktop. Both of these will almost always have an x86 processor. Although, this would be great for plugging in a USB DVD drive to a tablet if you really wanted to.

erasure25 says:

Just get the free Media Center add in..

Sulslim says:

Would be cool - Winamp for Windows 8, but W8 doesn't support the Gadgets :(((

erzhik says:

mkv support for WP8?

blackfire says:

Awesome indeed! Will definitely send a donation for it. MKV on Surface (RT and Pro) and the phone would be awesome! They mention some of the challenges on the post, but I think it still worth it, so I will support it. :-)

Tsyokiss says:

Yeah It would be nice to have mkv support on the phone, but if you just drop it in the video folder doesn't it automatically want to convert it to mp4.. ? -_-

DemiNutive says:

I have VLC for w8 pro and it works great, I have always used VLC on most of my PCs. Works great and I love the support of almost all video types and the 200% volume option on a laptop is great because most laptop speakers are crap

deloa84 says:

This is exciting indeed. I shall donate now.

inteller says:

dont really understand why they are asking for money, that has never been an issue on other platforms they ported it to.

And your cheap ass would make a comment like that.

It is a legitimate question...

schlubadub says:

+1 @lordofthereef

inteller says:

don't worry people, Round and Round is my new comment stalker fan.  you will find one of its smarny replies on all my comments from here on out.  You all would do good to get your own personal comment stalker too, they are really fun and you don't have to feed or bathe them!

schlubadub says:

Round And Round is Like.A.Boss also known as Dont.Disturb.This.Groove also known as dozens of other names. He gets banned regularly because he is so abusive. His comments are always unhelpful and usually incredibly negative. Despite being generally reviled on here, he keeps coming back to heap scorn on everyone.

It's not a question its one of his usual complaints

DaSchnee says:

They say it in the video.. For Win8 they want to take full advantage of the metro UI but they are just some programmers no designers. They want VLC for Win8 to be beautiful

erasure25 says:

Why do you hate capitalism?

Bushybro says:

This is what I've been waiting for!!! This would make the rt even more awesome and of course WP8. Donating (in winning voice) LOL

Jay Bennett says:

Donated, primarily because they have never been good at interface design and this is what they're asking for (and I should say, need for Windows 8).
As others have said you won't need VLC on Windows 8 Pro machines as the K-Lite codec pack works just fine, but for the Surface RT and other ARM devices, this app would be utterly essential

tebugg says:

this is what i need to know before i donate. there are other "vlc" apps on the store right now but they only support streaming or wifi. will this be like the desktop app where you can play your media files from the phone itself? this kind of app is missing from the store big time. will it support mkv also? i need to know these answers before i can donate.

tebugg says:

i got the answer to my questions from the site. donated.

TechAbstract says:

I prefer KMPlayer and GOM Media Player over VLC on PC but would be nice to have on Windows ARM devices.

DieNadel says:

VLC is the best...it even can fix the broken files and play them.

Peter McCain says:

How much do I have to donate, so my name shows on the credits after every video you guys watch through VLC.

Rockartisten says:

If you donate one of your nuts, it will flash every 1000th frame. One of the developers apparently has testicular cancer, so this would be very much appreciated.

camptime says:

Have been using VLC on and off over the years so decided to donat, Hope we get 5 star product. Just hope there are enought people out there to give them some support.

greg2k says:

Why would ARM support come in a subsequent release? I see no urgency in getting VLC to x86 tablets, there are decent alternative methods to having the Metro app, but on Windows RT there really is no alternative

Rockartisten says:

Read their proposal on Kickstarter. They roughly explain the additional work that needs to be done to bring it to ARM processors.

Tafsern says:

Windows Media Player Classic ftw! ;)

Can't wait for VLC to get out, like that player to :)

Unfortunately their focus is only Tablets and not phones. See this response:
One of the goals of this endeavor will be to port an existing toolchain to add support for Windows on ARM devices. This toolchain could also be used and would be an absolute requirement for Windows Phone development. However, we don't have detailed plans at this point, while considering Windows Phone to be an interesting platform.

mtiede says:

I find this a little odd.  Did they require "donations" for any other work they did?

clay113 says:

Did you read their site? They reason why they are asking is to not have people work on it in their spare time and have it take forever like their Android version did. I'd they get funding they will dedicate two guys to get it out faster for W8 and WP8.

inteller says:

well it isn't coming for WP8, and they said an ARM version is coming in an subsequent release so until that materializes for sure onthe Surface I'm holding back.

clay113 says:

In the aticle yesterday they mentioned mobile devices as well so I assumed they meant porting to wp8.  Oh well still getting it to RT is the main thing I care about being a Surface owner.

nsg1000 says:

!! DONATED !!

newfiend says:

For all those that are complaining about donations.. Ask yourself this.. "Do I like working for free?".. I bet most of you wouldn't go to work if you didn't get some compensation..Right? I don't think what they are asking for is outrageous at all. Its a donation for all the time and work it takes. I think this is very reasonable. They could just have made VLC for tablets and put a price on it would that be better?

clay113 says:

Thank you. People want everything for free even when its a great product. Thing is a lot won't even donate and still probably end up getting it for free.

diplomat696 says:

Vlc is a great program I hope this comes through

jmshub says:

VLC Media Player is a fantastic program that I have used without cost for a long time. I will use this Kickstarter as a way to give them something for their value, while speeding up progress on what will be another excellent product in the W8 app.

leo462 says:

Looking forward to it!

Murgatroyd7 says:

I guess there's a lot about Windows 8 that I don't know yet 'cause I figured you could just run the program in Compatibility Mode if it doesn't work.

crea7or says:

LOL. Money received but where is VLC???