Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Microsoft rumored to be licensing Nokia's brand name for phones

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Chris Weber on the future of device branding at Microsoft

< >
PhotoBeamer Lead

Easily share your photos with others using PhotoBeamer from Nokia

Nokia has released an interesting tool that enables the sharing of photos on a Lumia Windows Phone with a PC or other web-enabled device. Through the use of QR Codes, those with a Lumia smartphone can send a photo on the device over Internet tubes to a larger screen or to a friend's smartphone. All that's required is the Windows Phone app and a second screen, both with Internet access.

So how does it all work? The Windows Phone app opens up and browses the photo albums located on the handset (no Facebook integration here, folks) and said content can then be displayed on a supported / approved display that's connected to an Internet enabled device. Opening the app up will show the file chooser, and once a photo has been selected the app will then fire up the camera and will require the user to head to the PhotoBeamer website (www.photobeamer.com) on the hardware where the photo will be displayed.

Photobeamer Site

The website will render a QR code, which will need to be scanned by the Windows Phone to initiate the connection. From then on the Windows Phone can be used to swipe through an album with the photos being generated on the connected display / device. It's basically a mobile projector which is available at any point should a WiFi or mobile connection be presently available. What's more is the service requires no registration and is free to use.

PhotoBeamer App

As mentioned above, PhotoBeamer does require a 3G / 4G network or WiFi to function. It saves plugging in cables, connecting to SkyDrive, copying and pasting albums and more. Unfortunately the Windows Phone app is limited to Lumia handsets, which is a shame as it would prove to be a handy tool for every owner to utilise.

You can download PhotoBeamer from the Windows Phone Store (Lumia handsets only).

QR: PhotoBeamer

Comments

esaud says:

No luck in Mex U_U

venetasoft says:

I have a 2500€ ES8000 tv and a 600€ Lumia 920 and I have to pass through the cloud to show my photos on my tv ???
Where is PlayTo For wp8 ??? Where is wifi Direct and dlna ???
A 99€ android of a friend of mine shared His video and photo with My tv using wifi in 2 seconds !!
Nokia and Ms can you please answer this ?

Ebaneeezor says:

im assuming its a DLNA tv? hopefully they will update the Play To app for lumia 920 soon - http://www.wpcentral.com/nokias-camera-extras-play-now-available-lumia-windows-phones

venetasoft says:

Article date is April...And is referred to wp7.
No DLNA or wifi-Direct App is available TODAY for wp8 to play yoir video to tv (3rd part apps do not work too).
It is simply a shame...

Nataku4ca says:

dude, relax... Play To will definitely be coming and probably within the next month too, it's there for WP7 there is no reason it doesn't come to WP8, probably just working out the kinks right now

venetasoft says:

Coming...Always coming..
In my humble opinion dlna should be preinstalled or available day 1, as wp7 has it !! They have only to recompile it...PlayTo is a feature of WinRT too (works good on my Asus rt tablet).
I m a huge Ms fun, my frustration came from my friend's android phone beating my 920 :P...

Ebaneeezor says:

It just has to be scaled to wp8 - notice lots of Nokia apps getting updated lately? This will be within the week, im sure of it, as its a core basic function these days. Dont get to hung up on a droid or iphone doing something that wp cant, all of them do things others cant - rather celebrate the differences as it gives us choice and drives prices down :) if they all did what the other did - where would be the fun in that? - curious though, how many times have you needed this feature since your droid run in?

venetasoft says:

I will never change WP, my friend :)
I m a developer I love all Ms goodies (first of all development frameworks ;).

xiontechinfo says:

Now lumia users can share pics and enjoy more while Samsung and HTC users can sit without any hope of getting any more good apps.

Etyrnus says:

Tell HTC and Samsung you want similar.

Viipottaja says:

Nice app! When I first tried at home some of the pictures did not load completely (i.e. had only a part of the top of a picture on the screen). Bug, server side problem? But when I just tried it again at work it worked perfectly this time! It does seem to – understandably – compress/reduce the quality of the pics somewhat.

Conasca says:

There's an option to adjust the size of the image being displayed. And it took a few secs to fully load detail, presumably due to the 8mp-sized photos.

Viipottaja says:

Where is that option? Under settings all I have is "delete history".
Yes, at least for some pics the details got loaded, but others stayed slightly blurred.

Conasca says:

Just tested it out. Pretty awesome!

humdinger says:

Awesome little app!

tissotti says:

Really liking this one. Works awesome on my Lumia 920.
it seems like this is one of the things Nokia acquired when they bought Scalado this year.

tool6996 says:

Can't download on 900? Is it Win 8 only?

Same here. 900 won't let me.

Apoc says:

Yes, I believe it's only for WP8 Lumia devices only

onulf says:

apparently yes, neither can i on lumia 800.

Firenze89 says:

WP Central should really find a visual way to specify app compatibility in their posts. Would really help us poor WP 7.x users!

mcmaui says:

WPCENTRAL PLEASE READ THIS! Do something to distinguish news between WP7 and WP8 (or WP7+WP8) so that everyone is able to see what it is all about at a glance. This is really important and i think MANY here want this. I hate to have to read through the whole article and search for this information. In this case it isn't even in there! Just mark it as "WP8" and i know i can dismiss this app as WP7 user.

onulf says:

i second that.

venetasoft says:

Only for next 2 or 3 months, later wp8 devices will be 10x wp7 ones ;)

dfredh says:

Hi, we will add support for Lumias with Windows Phone 7.5 by the end of this year.

CX1 says:

Works pretty well. Upload is a bit slow on hi res images.

Munkeyphyst says:

Nice. Works great. once connected, you can scroll through photos and change albums. Very cool.

Rick Smits says:

Would you kindly start putting WP7 or wp8 only or both for apps now cause all I see is wp8 apps being highlighted in news now and I get excited for no reason. Please and thank you.

onulf says:

i second that too.

mrrajesh28 says:

cool. This is the app created by the imaging company that Nokia bought a few months back, they released this app for iOS couple of months back. Good to see the app here too. The name of the company is scalado  ,looks they removed iOS app!

MaulerX says:

It no longer works for iOS. Thru their acquisition it seems like it's exclusive to Lumia for now.

kacheng says:

any valid reason why no WP7 is supported?

HaibaneReki says:

This is why I love Nokia, always something new to impress :)

dKp1977 says:

Once again an awesome app for Nokia owners. I feel terribly sorry for those who have HTC or Samsung devices. Hmm.. Actually.. I don't. :P

ekimes23 says:

what sucks is that I don't have a Windows 8 phone just the L900.  Thats whay I selling it ang going back to iPhone.

Viipottaja says:

Nokia just updated e.g. Transport/Transit for 7.5. Seems quite likely they would do that for this too. But hey, do enjoy your iPhone!

dalydose says:

Thanks for visiting.

Apoc says:

Enjoy your return, so you didn't like the platform.

TK2011 says:

How come I can't find it on my L920? The Michelin app last week was another one I couldn't find.

Viipottaja says:

did you follow the link in this story? when I tried searching in the Store could not find it yet either, but the link worked.
Also, I gather there may be regional variation in the Store selection.

TK2011 says:

The web page shows the app but it says it can't be downloaded over the web and asks me to try on the phone. It's been like this for all Nokia exclusive apps. On my phone, I see a dozen or so apps in Nokia Collection but this one and the Michelin app are not found.

I have another phone (Focus) on my marketplace account. Maybe they are not handling multiple phones properly even though I have selected L920 as the current phone. In any case, it looks like MS has a bug to fix.

Just hit the link in story directly from your phone. It will take you to the apps you can't find by searching. It's also a good way to find some hidden/discontinued apps.

TK2011 says:

Thanks. I just fired up the wpcentral app and its download tab for this story worked like a charm! BTW, wpcentral app is a great app. well done guys.

MS still needs to fix this bug. If the regular web link and the marketplace search don't work, most people won't be able to find it.

chriscookz says:

Works ok, but don't expect to use this for a presentation. I made a slide in photoshop the exact resolution of my monitor and saved it to Skydrive. On my phone from my Skydrive folder I opened the JPG and downloaded it, which saved it to my Saved Pictures folder, which is the only way I can think of to get a photo from my computer to a place on my phone that Photobeamer will allow access to it.
From there I tried to beam that photo to my screen, but it lost a lot of quality along the way. I'm not sure if it was the download from skydrive that downsized the image, or Photobeamer when it sends it up to the computer. It looks perfectly sharp on my 920's screen, but very soft around the edges on the computer.
It didn't need to load anymore, the progress dots stopped moving across the screen. A little disappointing.

Eric Hon says:

yea that's true, it seems the pic quality gets degraded

hardcoreplur says:

Best App EVER. just impressed my boss with what my lumia 920 can do.

Takes way too long to upload onto my computer via wifi

RobinPaul says:

Nice, but you guys really need to put in the articals for which windows phones its ment. Remember there are still alot people on wp7.5

doubledeej says:

Nokia really missed the boat on this one.  Interesting idea, yes.  Not so great implementation...
They should have:
(1) Made it a Lens accessible from the built-in camera app.
(2) Made the QR codes go to a web site that anyone can view the photo without installing the app (at least a reduced-size version of the photo anyway), and then provide a link on that page to download the photo to the app.

Good ideas. Would love to see these implemented in an update.

moc426 says:

You don't need to have the app to view the file. The app is only to share the photo.

weepatc says:

Another Nokia exclusive that no one will have any use for when the novelty wears off :D

This one seems like a novelty, yes, but most exclusives are still put to daily use by myself & I'm sure many others.

Isn't this the same thing as sending a picture via text messaging and/or email?  Just saying...

"You know who else sends pictures via text messages and email?  MY MOM!"  -  Muscle Man

tissotti says:

No, it's not the same.
As long as the device, TV, screen got web brwoser showing on it you can "beam" the picture to it.

TK2011 says:

Ha ha it's a neat app. I will definitely keep this one.
But I hope they improve the photo quality displayed. It shows up a little grainy. I know Skydrive's rendering is also a little soft(even if you upload in full res), but photobeam is noticably worse.

darthhen says:

Sucks for me since I'm using 710. Seems like the new apps only supports WP8.

trickym81 says:

Apparently WP8 only? Sigh....

judas2100 says:

this is a great strategy by Nokia....to introduce "lumia exclusive" apps for wp7 and wp8 devices. And its working. With every new app and update, I regret trusting Samsung :/

bilzkh says:

I loved the Focus, but the fact that I only got a Rubix cube app from them pushed me to Nokia (Lumia 710). Now I'm on the Lumia 920, and the only thing I wish is to have the option to use Bing Maps (alongside Nokia Maps). That's it.

BTW...I used this at work today, to show some photos I took of a business event we had yesterday...the boss loved it.

trickym81 says:

Please mention somewhere in the post when an app is only available for WP8. I don't think this is an unreasonable request.  Instead of writing "the Windows Phone app is limited to Lumia handsets" just write "the Windows Phone app is limited to Lumia handsets running WP8." Without knowing whether you are talking about WP8 or all Windows Phones, this site is becoming more and more useless for me.

jgbstetson says:

Anyone get this on the 810? Does not show up in the store or through the link provided.

jgbstetson says:

Nm. It works when linking through wpcentral app as mentioned above.

JammyGitz says:

Whatsapp does just fine

SmoothDog says:

Cool thing. Tried it and worked easily on my 920.

nitrocs says:

App works great!
I have a questions though...can you take over someone else's stream?
I used the app to hit the QR code in the article & it seemingly connected with no problem or error.  Is is that easy to hijack someone else's display?

Tetegra says:

I have the same worry

jb3d says:

bummer.. i cant seem to find this in the store.  keep getting no results when searching for photo beamer

WPman2012 says:

Like the idea, to view pictures on a larger screen or to just show off your pictures to others.
Using the Lumia 920 and the pictures taken with the 920, the web  page on the pc only shows the top 1-3 inches of the picture? Some times it shows the whole picture and try it again and only top part?
On the 920 the Photobeamer only option is to delete the history, nothing about number of pictures or sizes that can be selected . Does any one no how to get pictures be complete?

wetworker says:

Another reason to stick with Nokia.

Hicup2901 says:

PhotoBeamer in action. sharing photos from Lumia to TV http://youtu.be/Pv7LqbYb4qg

kwajr says:

If you want dlna and have Xbox use amartglass

smasithick says:

Not available in India :(

AlexNYC says:

This app rocks !!!!!
But DLNA streaming would be great too !!!!

jjMustang says:

I'm thinking export PowerPoint slides as jpg, then use this app like a remote for the presentation pc. Well, you could.

moonboy509 says:

i'm using nokia lumia 920, but in extras+info said my phone is RM-820_att_100, no wonder I can't download this app and many apps that is not compatable with nokia 820, why they push the update but change my model?

albertico says:

Sounds pretty awesome and nifty...wouldn't it make for a great TV ad to showoff something like this?