Microsoft UK sends its Surface tablets into the Big Brother house

Microsoft Surface and Lumia 920 show up in Stephen King’s “Under the Dome” mini-series

Yellow Nokia Lumia 920 stands out in latest Kelly Clarkson music video

Jennifer Lopez sending messages on a Windows Phone in latest "Live It Up" music video

White Nokia Lumia Windows Phone spotted in Olympus Has Fallen movie trailer [Updated]

Lumia 920 spotted looking slick in House of Lies episode

Windows Phone and Surface both guest star in Hawaii Five-O episode

Yellow Lumia 920 featured in Ke$ha music video [Update]

Microsoft Surface RT tablet featured in NCIS: LA

Nokia Lumia 800 featured in episode of Kreutzer Kommt

White Lumia 900 spotted in latest season of Homeland

Nokia Lumia Windows Phone also spotted on The Neighbors

Nokia Lumia spotted in upcoming movie ‘The Wolverine’

Windows Phone spotted in new movie trailer for 'The Canyons'

AT&T Lumia 900 gets a guest spot on CBS’s new show ‘Elementary’

Windows Phone featured in Ubisoft's Watch Dogs E3 Introduction Trailer

Nokia signs product placement deal with UK TV soap Hollyoaks

Nokia Lumia 900 shows up on Fox's "Touch", sports AirGraffiti app

Nokia Lumia 800 makes a cameo in M83's latest video

Nokia Lumia 900 shakes its booty in Flo Rida's newest video

< >

Microsoft getting Revenge on Windows Phone product placement

See what we did with the title there? Last night on ABC, the hit series Revenge evidently featured the California Blue HTC 8X quite prominently. Not only that, but ABC and Microsoft seemingly tied their new ads into the show quite effectively...

From fan of the show WPQwester:

“The phone was shown specifically in the scene were Victoria Grayson was alerted by a tipster about her husbands infidelity with his son's girlfriend. After the scene ended the Windows Phone ad with Gwen Stefani holding the same HTC 8X (BLUE) variant. Microsoft is doing a fantastic job with its product placements and advertisements in prime time, Kudos on the Windows Phone 8 Brand initiative.”

Indeed all weekend we have been getting tips on plenty of Windows Phone saturation on the airwaves—even iMore’s Rene Ritchie commented on how CBS was being flooded with Microsoft ads, as did Rich Edmonds in the UK. From product placements to ads, Microsoft seems to have it covered.

What about you? Have you seen many more Windows Phone 8 ads this year and what do you think of the campaign so far?

Thanks, WPQwester for the tip; Hamzie and Harry for the screen caps

Comments

TheOHouse says:

I'm not so sure about a windows phone being used to bring such disturbing news. Can't they use it for something a little more positive :)

inteller says:

"I use my Windows Phone to watch hidden cam videos of my husband having affairs"

Windows Phone, brought to you by AshleyMadison.com  lolololol

Kenjoe says:

lol...good one

I knew a guy that used AshleyMadison, wife caught him when he fell asleep with the site up and he was loged in lmao

Come one, good way to get exposure. People love these drama shows. ;-)

OMG55 says:

Just Demonstrating functionality.....such as the ability to share videos with the quickness! Oh, and if she wanted to, should could have used the chase bank app to pay the private-eyes who outed the low-down rotten scoundrel :)

Saw lots of windows 8 ad during the walking dead last night.

BK-one says:

We sure did , show of the year with phone OS of the year..

L2nak says:

That shows has turned into a pos lol

JamesDax3 says:

We'll agree to disagree on that.

dlusted says:

I've seen plenty of ads on ITV during the high rating shows like X Factor, I'm a Celeb but also Five and 4 are improving on the amount of ads...
Near enough every ad I see tends to be an MS group ads... i.e. Windows Phone, then Win8 and then Surface

rubenbest says:

Saw cam newton windows phone commercials during nfl games. And that one 8x commercial with the remotes microwave and alarm thing

xrs22 says:

I caught it but I don't watch the show.

HaibaneReki says:

even in our little Czech republic Win8 and WP8 are to be seen in all kinds of ads, excited :)

mondokjm says:

I find it strange that I've yet to see a WP tv ad. While Microsoft certainly doesn't need to convince me of anything, I'm just surprised that I must not fall into the target demographic.

willied says:

You have to watch TV to see the ads...:P

But seriously, I don't watch that much TV, but I've seen plenty of WP ads on multiple channels, and I really appreciate it that they aren't joking around this time.

mondokjm says:

Haha, I primarily watch NBC and Comedy Central. The only WP ads I've ever seen were the smartphone beta test ads. Maybe I'll try to diversify my television tastes.

Spotted Lumia 920 on Burn Notice last week. That phone is all over the place.

Genesyn says:

I thought that was a 920 at first, but I'm pretty sure that was actually a 900.  Take a close look at the screen at has the 7.x interface.  Also, Bruce Campbell tweeted pics from that shoot many months back, I believe a month or 2 after the 900 launched.

Probably right. I just assumed.

EAA575 says:

It was a 900. I sent a pic of it to WPCentral but it was too blurry -.-

allos autos says:

I also sent a pic to WPCentral. Didn't get a reply.

Bruno H says:

So far not one ad for wp8 in Sweden.

diod123 says:

Has anyone seen any Nokia ads? I have not, but I don't watch a lot of tv.

RayWP7 says:

Yeap, been hearing/seeing a lot more WP8 ads on TV lately.

I spotted the cyan 920 on vampire diaries last week as well. The hot blonde had it up to her face lol

argenys says:

It was actually a 900, you can tell by the home screen. Either way I'm happy that windows phone is little by little getting more exposure seemingly from all over the place.

First email notifications are great keep it up wpcentral! 2 I must have missed the scene with the start screen none the less still cool to see it in these tv shows hope they keep it up.

ihavewp8 says:

Saw surface tablet last week on surburbia tv show

tribexx says:

Yeah,
It was actually a plot point...
Hawaii Five-0 uses windows phone, OS, tablet, everything.

DaveGx says:

I heard Nokia 920 promos on WFAN radio in NY. I don't watch tv since its 99% crap so can't say how many tv ads appear where I live.

You probably have it on FOX news channel all day

DaveGx says:

Nope. I have no cable. Isn't worth paying for.

You probably have it on CNN or MSNBC all day

Nope, I usually just watch music videos, telenovelas and criminal minds.

lippidp says:

Yeah, TV's lame.

aubreyq says:

There sure are plenty of 920 ads on TV right now. It's no wonder why people are going to AT&T stores asking for it. Too bad that the stock is so low.

argenys says:

I haven't noticed any for the 920 apart from the "Ok" Will Arnett ones.

ihavewp8 says:

Great job showing it on revenge show. At least it's better than seeing gay boring iphone commercial. IPhone commercial are corny and gay. Like the one showing a person saying cheeseeeeee using the panorama app. WP as an app that cam do that

TonyDedrick says:

I think you need to calm your zealousness down and pick your words better.

Well he's right, those iPhone commercials are pathetic

I like the Cam Newton ad but they need to get with times and pay RG3 to use a Windows Phone. His jersey is the number one seller.

OMG55 says:

You're right there, but I also said it a year ago that since windows phones are colorful, they should simply etch NFL, NBA, NLS, ect logos directly onto the phones instead of having customer purchasing cases. People with Lumia tend not to cover it up.....I don't, it's only covered when it holsted on my belt clip. Can you imagine that yellow lumia 920 with Pittsburg's logo, the red one with Washington's logo, the cyan with Miami's logo??? I this they would be a hit.

WinPhan7 says:

I'm absolutely loving the saturation of WP8 over the airwaves! Everytime our TV is on regardless of what channel or time, there is a WP8 commercial on within minutes! I've seen AT&T, Verizon, T-Mo, BestBuy, WalMart, and RadioShack all have WP8 commercials. I would really like to see Microsoft start pushing to have their WP logo next to Android and iPhone logos in commercials when an official app is available. I believe this is an area that they ABSOLUTELY MUST address. Hardware is no longer a complaint for potential buyers, it's the perception of a lack of apps available for our OS. WP8 needs to appear just as viable as the 2 major competitors in app selection to gain peoples trust, as the interest is legitimately there.

kinaton says:

I agree, but now wp8 is coming we should hopefully see app makers do for all platforms.

Lots of TV adds for sure. Also, WSCR sports radio in Chicago has been plugging the Lumia 920 quite a bit during the afternoon.

Racxie says:

I don't really watch TV but I saw an ad in an app on my Omnia 7 so I though I'd take a look, only to be surprised that the videos on the linked site won't display on my phone which is a bit ridiculous! Nice going there Microsoft...

lubbalots says:

Seen one or two times. I don't tv much though.

lubbalots says:

By the way, thank the Lord my red Lumia 920 is ready to be shipped!!!!!

TheOHouse says:

My Cyan is supposed to be here tomorrow! So excited.

lubbalots says:

Finally my red Lumia will be here tomorrow too! Yay!!

SoundWeb says:

Microsoft should be spending more time/money on retail placement instead of ads people fast forward through with their DVRs. I walked into a Best Buy this weekend and the Windows Phones had the worst location, and were fake phones. No one way paying any attention to them. Yet people were lined up buying Android and IPhones.

The tablet showcase was even worse. The one Windows tablet they had was shut off while three salespeople helped customers walk out with iPads. There was even a solid presence at the chromebook display. Yuk! The battles will be won in in the minds of the salespeople.

Not everyone has a DVR, it's also useless during live programming

Windows Phone has not penetrated Best Buy.  There are no Windows Phones in their flyers.  And Best Buy doesn't have Surface, the only Windows Tablet that intelligent consumers want.  Best Buy is going to be a trailing indicator.  They are only going to promote and focus on what consumers come in wanting.  They are not in the business of promoting new products.  It is up to Microsoft to market Windows Phone to the point where Best Buy feels the need to acknowledge it.
OTOH, I walked by an AT&T phone store recently and the windows were full of Windows Phone ads.
Verizon, not so much.  Windows Phone gets the back corner surrounded by Android phones.

mondokjm says:

Every best buy employee in the computer department at my local store talks down about Windows 8 and has very limited knowledge of WP. Its rather disappointing, but as I watch best buy's stock price plummet, I feel a bit better about it.

sayonical says:

The Nokia Lumia 920 was used in 666 Park Ave last night too.

DrSaiko says:

Yup, I've seen plenty of wp8/w8 ads/product placement on tv lately. Here in Queens NY there are everywhere too.

Laura Knotek says:

My mom watches that show. I'll have to ask her if she saw the Windows Phone.

dirkatron says:

I do not approve of tying in product placements within tv shows. That would make me not watch a show. I heard they were doing this with the surface as well. Kind of lame if you ask me.

Ok then how do you think they should do it smartáss?

I see tons of W8 and WP8 ads on billboards and at CTA line stops here in Chicago

Weavile2196 says:

I saw Carly Rae Jepson using a windows phone in oner of her music videos.

ABC's Scandal also featured a black 920 on Thursday's episode

neogodless says:

When I visited NYC 2 weeks ago, there were Surface ads and a few for Windows 8, but I don't recall seeing any phone related ones. Anyone that lives there have an update?

StaticPlaya says:

Homeland last night (UK) is sponsored by Nokia and the windows 8 ads were cool. They showed the apps like Netflix then a Netflix ad came on the same with John Lewis and Xbox. Great marketing.

I am seeing frequent ads for Windows Phone and Surface.  I think the Jessica Alba spot is terrific.  I'm not sure if it makes me want Jessica Alba or the phone more, though ;-).

rodneyej says:

This has been the best WP advertising so far!!!!!!!

SMMinke says:

Funny, WP and Surface ads have reversed a TV-DVR behavior for me, where I would hit the 30-second advance button 6-8 times to skip all commercials. Now, I skip one at a time, hoping to see a WP8 or Surface commercial. ;-)

giggles says:

Scandals latest episode.. I tipped you guys last week. It had the lumia 920 and HTC 8x at least 20 times.

gibbage says:

One thing to remember is that it takes MONTHS (~4-6) before a TV show goes from being shot, to getting on air.  It will take a little bit of time for a lot of the market placement spots to hit the air.  If your seeing them now, its a good chance it was a set prop and not a working phone ;)  Im sure we will see more.  Its an eye catching series of phones, the UI is great for TV (big icons) and it films well with its matte finish.

kinaton says:

In the Uk tv stations have to put a P on screen during product placement. I don't really look out for or care, as ramming wp8 down my throat will not make me buy one. Bad enough experience with Lumia to make me jump to Iphone or blackberry. :'(

kinaton says:

Not at all. just disappointed with poor battery life on lumia 800, and the signal bug. Which only seems to affect this model of phone.

I'm not a m$ fan boy, you obviously are..

It's MS not M$ dumbáss. Your comment makes no sense at all anyway because there's a disproportionate amount of iOS and android placements on TV

Capsloc says:

Lots during the walking dead!

nwildcat says:

I don't know if it's a 920 or a 900, but one or both has been on NBC's The New Normal for most of this season. I've seen it several times now.
I think Microsoft, Verizon, and Nokia are doing a great job with advertising. Been seeing stuff everywhere and I think it's paying off since each time I've been in or passed a Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mo, people have been trying out the Windows Phones.

DarronDS says:

Hayden Panitierre used a pink Lumia, and another actress used a white one in Nashville a few weeks back.

m0ja74 says:

I have seen advertising for Windows 8, WP8, and surface on every network. I watch a variety if shows.

Cellus13 says:

I see alot of Lumia 822 commercials and some HTC 8x from Verizon. I see many windows 8 ads and its starting to be repetitive. I see the Will Arnett commercial with the beautiful Lumia 920 so carriers so far are trying to show the phone.

rebinoh says:

I saw some 900s on Scandal. Olivia Pope switched from a white BB to a Nokia WP.
Also saw ads on The Walking Dead as well. Glad they are doing more this go round.

mamilo1 says:

On November 25th's episode of Homeland a Nokia Lumia (not sure which model) was used by a CIA operative to take pictures. Pretty cool.