Package Tracker for Win Phone 8 getting update with Lockscreen notifications

The Facebook page for Package Tracker is now live where you can follow all the latest on the actively developed app for Windows Phone and Windows 8.

The developers behind it are also teasing an upcoming update for Windows Phone users that shows the new doublewide Live Tile with notifications and delivery info.

In addition, we get a sneak peek at the upcoming lock screen notifications and billboard access, which should be useful for you shipping devotees out there. No word on when the update will happen as it's in the early stages of development, but it should not be too long. We’ll keep you posted.

You can grab a trial of Package Tracker here from the Windows Phone Store for $2.49 (£1.99) and the Windows 8 RT app here in the Windows 8 Store for $2.99 (£2.19).  The two apps sync to each other via the cloud resulting in simultaneous updates to both apps.

Source: Facebook (www.facebook.com/PackageTrackerApp)

QR: Package Tracker

Comments

ousooner314 says:

What's billboard access? Is it a WP8-specific feature?

On Windows Phone 7.x it's the calendar display on the Lock screen that gives detailed info. On Windows Phone 8, that area is selectable in Settings based on third party apps e.g. you can have Email, Skype, CNN, etc. show info there instead.

ousooner314 says:

That's awesome third party apps can now leverage it. Thanks for explaining!

1 STUNNA says:

It's cool and all but what sucks is that you can only have one app using it at a time.  I have other things going on in my life like phone calls, sms, calendar, email, facebook, etc that I'd like to also to show up there but I can't have all of them at the same time, I can only have one.

Yeah, not sure why they did't allow like 3 items and then have them rotate around every few seconds...

dtboos says:

They may eventually do just that.  We are just getting started :)

Wow, that is awesome! You're two for two on app suggestions today! :)

[OT] Where can I get the wallpaper shown in the screenshot?

rpm5101 says:

That background is one of the defaults in WP8.

Well maybe he doesn't have a phone running WP8...

AfroPhysics says:

I do and I didn't even bother to look.  :)

rodneyej says:

This app is also available for WP7 users.. Will you guys start mentioning that in your reviews? This would cut down on the fragmented feeling, and would spare our sorry little emotions from feeling left out..

SoloXCRacer says:

The link embeded for the QR code is not the same app as the text link.  The text link is for $2.49, but the one in the QR code is for $99.  Both have the same name.  I'm assuming the one in the text link is the correct app you're talking about.

Sorry, fixed. Scan again and it's correct.

zeke009 says:

I really like the look of this!  Especially the syncing across devices and apps.  I'll look for the releases that incorporate those functions.  I am sure this will break me of my use of www.packagetrackr.com.

nizzon says:

Love it! Sadly it only supports Posten service here in Sweden. Hoping they will add DHL and Schenker.

silent'g says:

awesome sauce

willied says:

Awesome sauce, indeed.

cdbstl76 says:

I already love this app. Nice they are adding features.

awesome. great apps and great devs that really listen. this is one of the first apps I've experienced that syncs flawlessly between my various windows 8 devices and windows phone, love it and now any app that doesn't feels lacking by comparison

taurgis says:

Works great. Used it a few times to track packages in Belgium I ordered on Amazon (UK). Great combo!

jerrynomenon says:

Just got that update! I now have lock screen notification and Nokia map for locating the package

Ryan Graves says:

All I want to know is, if something happens like an email, a text, a Facebook notification, a calendar reminder, etc., and the phone is locked, will the notification "wake up" the screen in order to show you the notification briefly before it times out?  iOS does this and it would be the final element that gets me over to Windows Phone.  Lock screen notifications are critical for me to run business effectively.

Ryan Graves says: