How To

How to record Xbox One gameplay videos and share them on Youtube

The first YouTube uploader app for Windows Phone 8.1 gets a nice update, more to come

One of our favorite YouTube apps, myTube is free for 24 hours

Official BlueFly app brings a boutique fashion experience to Windows Phone

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Metrotube will now offer search suggestions and age restricted content in latest update

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Podcast

Vector 41: Mergers and accusations

Google's YouTube rumored to be buying video game streamer Twitch for over $1 billion

Bollywood entertainment portal, Koimoi, launches official Windows Phone 8 app

App Update Roundup: Cal, Metrotube, TrueCaller, Lockmix and more

Middle East's leading newspaper, Khaleej Times, arrives on Windows Phone

CNET comes to Windows Phone with all its Tech-Savviness

Take advantage of the new YouTube mobile website with IE11 in Windows Phone 8.1

Tonido released for Windows Phone 8 for remote access to your home computer

Another day, another official app in India, Airtel Money arrives on Windows Phone 8

Bollywood Hungama makes a comeback on Windows Phone 8 for Bollywood fans

Boxcryptor comes to Windows Phone and Windows 8, allows you to encrypt all data you send to the cloud

Xbox

GoPro channel comes to Xbox 360, YouTube sharing improvements to Xbox One

Windows Phone 8 version of Metrotube is now available

MetroTube - The best YouTube app for Windows Phone 8 is now available

The updates for Microsoft’s latest mobile OS keep on coming and this one is very welcome indeed. Lazyworm have just released an update to their very popular Metrotube app for watching YouTube videos, joining the other new or updated Windows Phone 8 Apps. The update brings the release to version 4.0.

A long-time favourite on Windows Phone, the app makes great use of the Metro UI, taking full advantage of the new large tiles and introduces the ability to preload videos for later viewing. Read on past the break to find out more.

The app has always been a strong contender and that’s down to the really great attention to detail on the user interface and experience. With this version you’ll be able to “pre-load” videos onto your phone for later playback. All you’ll need to do is find the video you want then click on the preload button and once done you can view offline.  You can even pin a tile to your home screen in three different sizes for quick access to content you have preloaded.

In addition, fast-resume is also supported allowing you to quickly pop back into the app without having to reload it.

Google have recently stated they have no plans to create any new apps for Windows Phone 8 or even Windows 8 so that will mean that a YouTube is highly unlikely. But all is not lost, MetroTube provides a powerful and feature rich alternative to  an official app. To be honest, we don’t think an official one could be this full featured and look and work this well. From the press release:

“We’ve seen great success with Metrotube so far, since launch we’ve had over 370,000 downloads and are now averaging between 2-3 thousand downloads a day.”  says Atta Elayyan, Managing Director at Lazyworm Applications. “It seems that Google still has no immediate plans to build out Windows apps so we’ll continue trying to fill that void.  Today we’re excited to be releasing Metrotube for Windows Phone 8 and aim to have a Windows 8 version out sometime early next year.”

That app is available from the marketplace now and will cost US $0.99c / UK £0.79p and offer a free unlimited ad-free trial. Lazyworm have been strong supporters of Windows Phone and we’re really glad to see this app finally appear, it really shows the way for how things can be done with the new platform.

You can download MetroTube version 4.0 from the Windows Phone Store here or grab it with the QR code below. Windows Phone 8 devices only.

QR: MetroTube

Comments

hipporama says:

Even Google can't make an Youtube app as awesome as Metrotube.

bashlife says:

100% agreed. not in their wildest dream ,Should they thought of things like that. The app is awesome.

AmilM says:

+1. LazyWorm makes awesome apps.

RyoTGZ says:

Totally agree. I was using Tube Pro only because I wanted to 'preload' videos. But since Metrotube now supports that.. its a no brainer.

geva bar says:

app is good, just needs to fit htc full screen, doesn't look right, also they should do more with live tile

Beezie84 says:

I remember the days when it was lazytube.. And I remember being sad about the email saying they were pulling it from the market.. Glad to see the best YouTube app ever doing so well

sManowar says:

Hmm, I only could find the older version.

Version 4.0 is Windows Phone 8 only.

Z10YkakPES says:

Hey Dan, is it me or store is acting funny, updated metrotube to version 4, recently got another update shown, I did it and it downgraded it to 3.6, same with Nokia drive and creative studio

Jonadam23 says:

Yeah that just happened to me to. Its really annoying since v4.0 brought the 16:9 aspect ratio and without that ratio my OCD prevents me from using it on my 8X.

Had a similar experience in which the store app shows that those 3 updates were available and when choosing to download them the updates disappeared as if they didn't exist. Searched for them individually and the update option shows up on them and was able to update that way.

Z10YkakPES says:

Yeah after some time update comes back so you can update to a new version again, but after a little bit old "update" comes back again

Now available? I swear I've been running this on my 920 since I got it launch day. I just checked, and didnt see any updates. Am I missing something?

fwaits says:

Just barely hitting the market so it may not show up for everyone immediately.  It will shortly I'm sure.  If you check the version probably doesn't say 4.0.0.0 on your listing right now.

Z10YkakPES says:

Yeah its still 3.6.0.0

shergillwp8 says:

use the QR tag above to get it

omagic82 says:

I used the QR tag on my 8X and it downloaded v3.6

ejlee072006 says:

the best video app... Men I feel like the end of the road for my lumia 900.. Even though I get 7.8 im still not gonna get any wp8 goodies.. Oh well

Shobiz says:

I feel you. Most of the apps I use have been updated. I'm going to try and wait for the next round

AmilM says:

Really the best YouTube client. The devs care app and users.

Muessig says:

What's the story with Metrotube and live tiles? I would love for the Metrotube live tile to flip and show me when I get a new subscribed video. I've tried to pin my subscriptions to see if it will do this but it's just a static tile... am I doing something wrong or does Metrotube not support live tiles?

Pl4ub says:

Check the settings inside Metrotube. It does support, mine flips.

Muessig says:

I have "enable main tile flipping" checked but I can't see any other live tile options. Can you tell me which tiles flip for you?

Have the same problem as you, tile is just static. Didn't have that problem before it got updated.

Pl4ub says:

Subscriptions more, PIN.

nizzon says:

Live Tile for new subscribptions would be awesome indeed.

Sumit8 says:

What do you mean "just released" ? I got it installed on my Lumia 920 since i got it 3 weeks ago...

kingp says:

I hear ya. I've had MetroTube on it since I got my Lumia 920 almost a month ago.

Well, we mean that version 4.0 was just released, an update from version 3.6.

Just because you run an app on a WP8 phones doesn't make it a WP8 app.

jcagga says:

The medium tile for metro app was low res. Now it looks HD in my 8x. Now it has large tile.

The version optimized for Windows Phone 8, was just now released.

Yeah, I guess they just meant that it's updated. Hopefully favorites works now. It didn't before for me.

Just checked again. Version 4 is not showing up on WP8 store, or online. The QR code isn't working either. I'm in Canada though. Maybe a country difference?

Give it time. We're running it here in the UK and the US from the Store.

jfmanzo says:

I got in in Calgary about 10 minutes ago.

omagic82 says:

I'm in the US on an 8X...still getting v3.6

kingp says:

Still showing 3.6 only for my Lumia 920. I'm in the US.

yesjohn says:

Yeah finaly!!

Oh cr*p I don't have a windows phone 8 device yet :(

aubreyq says:

LOL. Neither do I.

Dusteater says:

Just tried this app out and I do not like it, you have to have a Google account to do anything at all. When will someone make a YouTube app that can follow feeds without an account, it should be very simple. You cannot pre-load any videos either.

dkp23 says:

Google owns youtube, just dont sign in.

Of course you need to sign in with a google account though if you want to do anything, IT IS OWNED BY GOOGLE

Dusteater says:

But it would be simple to make an app that you don't need to. Oh well.

@dusteater I don't get it...I'm not logged in. I can play videos, search for videos, save videos for offline use, pin stuff to my screen. What exactly are you complaining about?

Can't "do anything at all" is hyperbole, no?

Exactly, I don't even have a google/youtube account and use this app to do all the things you just said Daniel. All you have to do is open the app and go!

dalydose says:

I'm not sure how "easy" it would be if Google's API requires logging in. I'm not a developer though.

jcagga says:

Because google bought YouTube loooong time ago?

AngryNil says:

Uh, no. How is it simple to access subscriptions without an account when the server you're querying requests an account? If you think it's so easy, go make a YouTube client.

Else, just Google "create Google account without Gmail" and you'll get a link where you won't even have to sign up for a Gmail address, just use your existing Hotmail / Yahoo / whatever address.

any word on windows 8 version?!

Sumit8 says:

Youtube RT is an awesome WIndows 8 App.

jcagga says:

O wow side scrolling is instant now.

AmilM says:

Yes, MetroTube is the best. But, also PrimeTube is nice, my 2nd YouTube client.

dkp23 says:

Dont see anything, still on 3.6.  app links takes you to existing 3.6

razor1973 says:

<p>This should read v4.0 was just released for Windows Phone 8, not &quot;the best YouTube app for Windows Phone 8 is now available.&quot; It has been available since way before Windows Phone 8 came out and it has always worked on Windows Phone 8. In fact, I just upgraded to v4.0 on my Lumia 920 and not only do I see no changes from v3.6. The live tile doesn&#39;t change in either of the 3 available sizes, even when the settings of the app have an option that reads &quot;Enable main tile flipping&quot; and I have it checked.</p>

Z10YkakPES says:

Damn dude, just re-pin it and you'll see 3 tile sizes

razor1973 says:

Re-read my message. The live tile doesn't change IN either of the 3 sizes, not TO either of the 3 sizes. I get the sizes alright. It's the tile that's not live. It doesn't change. It's static.

bilzkh says:

Store web page isn't showing 4.0 yet (Lumia 920 user).... Guess we just need to wait a little :P

markk132 says:

i already had this app on my htc 8x, but i'm pretty sure it was free.  my phone is telling me to update it, but by updating it do i then have to pay the 99 cents?

Z10YkakPES says:

It might be just my guess, but I think it just says "update", not "update for .99c"

buggyglint says:

I still wish that WP OS allowed third-party apps to be default associates with certain links/files. That would fully integrate MetroTube as it SHOULD be. =D

doomtuba says:

This x1000. One of my only gripes about WP8. Wish I could set MetroTube as a default app!

jhoff80 says:

I just wish I didn't need the crappy web-based Youtube shortcut installed in order to open certain types of Youtube links that I see sometimes.

bilzkh says:

Come on store ... update!!!  I order you to update, NOW!

aubreyq says:

Hahaha! I wonder if the old trick of "press back then go back to app in the Store" works on WP8.

Gilgameshi says:

Is it better than Supertube? It's pretty awesome, too.

based_graham says:

Sure Google dosn't support WP8 but Lazyworm does. If I was MS I would back them 150% fund them so they can take advantage of Google API's and bring some slick 3rd party Google apps into our Ecosystem to both WP8 and Win8

It is there for me now :)

elms_v says:

Big tile is not flipping

Give it some time. Mine flips.

DirectAim says:

Microsoft should back these guys, metrotube is immense, Google couldn't better it even of they tried!

richin109 says:

Any body been able to play the video in the background? I use it to listen to music. I know it sound silly since it is supposed to view videos.

danbbrantley says:

According to the photo on this link (I assume it's from the Developers?), you can do what you want to do.
It says you can "listen to audio under lock."

Weavile2196 says:

Only thing it needs is a download video option. That would make this app 10x better :)

LaNiQuE says:

I was just saying how Google couldn't make a YouTube app as good as metrotube yesterday when they said they won't be supporting us because some market share crap but im wondering if any developers are willing to make us a decent G+ my use of it has gone down hill and not having a decent app is one of the reasons

c8m6p says:

Not installing on my 920... Tried to update... Didn't work, deleted the existing app and re-install didn't work... Giving me an error code

hahabowen says:

Tiles not flipping.. Anyone got it to flip?

matheee says:

Hmmm, I have downloaded MetroTube last week already... On my 8X

Luisraul924 says:

Hmm... It seems the update got pulled off the store...

sirkirby says:

It must have been. Still no update, but I'll keep checking.

absolutshame says:

What's the difference between this and Supertube?

Luisraul924 says:

This one is a hell of a lot better looking ;)

miklavzg says:

App is good, but not great for two reasons:
1. You can see only those of your uploads, which are not set as private or unlisted
2. You can't upload videos to YouTube.

jkrc717 says:

Not working for me. Website or phone. Can't get app.

itsall4tay says:

I always get this annoying error and am not able to use the app on 900. Does the new one do that? I had to switch to stock.

johaas says:

I'm still waiting on updates for Drive and Metrotube. Curse you Store!

Still listed on the store as 3.6 version.

philharmonik says:

I am new to WP8 and decided to try this out. I've only been messing with it for a few minutes and the first thing I noticed is there are no thumbs up/down buttons for user comments. Not a deal breaker as I like the interface much better than the default YouTube app. Just something I think should be added. First I thought it was because I wasn't signed in to my Google account, but I signed in and still the same.

blackhawk556 says:

checkout prime tube.  I think it's awesome

MaulerX says:

Still showing 3.6 on my 920. Link provided only takes me to 3.6 (which I already had). Did they take it down?

EDT: Got the update. Link works now.

abond32 says:

This app was reverted back to 3.6. Lives tiles quit working in 4v and I tried to reinstall and got v3.6

Z10YkakPES says:

Check back in a little bit it'll show update again to 4.0 version, same shit happening with Nokia drive and creative studio

blackhawk556 says:

You guys need to checkout Prime Tube.  One bad ass app!

dkp23 says:

Finally got update for metrotube. In us att

I just got a second update available today?! I updated a few hours ago to v. 4.0 now have another update. Going to look into it.

**edit** It says it's the 4.0 update, which I checked in my metrotube settings, I already have. But it's still prompting me to update? Think I'll just skip it.

So this is better then SuperTube? Also can you actually download video's to the Storage card area in the Nokia Lumia 920??

Luisraul924 says:

Imho it is the best YouTube app period. You can download videos albeit not to the storage card area as that "area" doesn't exist. Not on the 920 that is.

Its the area you can access from you're computer which is basically the built in storage area 32GB space on the Lumia 920... Non of what you said answers my question! Have you even tried SuperTube?? I take not!

atlbuc says:

Whats the deal with the message  Unable to play this video due to verification requirements?  PrimeTube will play the same same video just fine.

JamesDax3 says:

Just downloaded this to my 8X and I got version 3.6.  So what's the deal?

izik770 says:

best best app ever.
google can only wish to make such an app

fkiehner says:

So how does one delete vids that have been downloaded? Can't seem to find that option.
thanks.

Anyone else having the problem where it takes an hour to preload the same video it took 5min to download on supertube?

Jojogill says:

It came up in my updates section, but when I clicked it, it disappeared.

Kulsman says:

Where is the update???? It still says V3.6

I downloaded it the update yesterday and it was amazing...i can actually download videos...but today I got a different update so I downloaded it and it went back to the previous version...so I uninstalled it...and now it won't reinstall for me...anyone know wassup...

walter1832 says:

Still showing 3.6, lumia 920

tipsotricks says:

This apps looks really cool I'd definitely love to try this one. I think you should also check out other best apps to watch youtube videos on windows 8 desktop: