Microsoft takes the Lumia 930 to the Cornbury music festival

China's going after Microsoft, but what for?

Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Bought new Windows hardware? Trade in your old devices with Microsoft's Buy Back scheme

Microsoft restores control of seized domains to No-IP

Meet Your Match

Microsoft: 88 percent of 'Meet Your Match' participants prefer Windows Phone

Ben Rudolph has revealed some interesting statistics from the "Meet Your Match" campaign Microsoft has been hosting across the US, UK, France and Germany. The challenges were kicked off a few weeks ago, which puts consumers against the Windows Phone team to see if their competitor hardware can beat Microsoft's platform.

According to Rudolph, the team has carried out 75,000 challenges and demonstrations in all supported locations, which is quite an achievement. If that wasn't impressive enough, 88% of people who took part in the challenge and answered the survey afterwards believed that Windows Phone was a much better match for them then their current smartphone.

We visited the team at Westfield in Stratford, London and were concerned that the booth set up may not have the desired effect due to strong competitor presence, but at least Microsoft is continuing to show strong support for Windows Phone - that's the positive fact we walk away with.

Source: Windows Phone Blog

Comments

Cellus13 says:

Windows phone is becoming much more known and that's good. A thing that is annoying is some keep mistakenly referring to it as windows 8 phone. Like really?

KustomAU says:

Bill Gates referred to WP8 as "Windows 8 Phone" in a recent interview..

L0gic Bom8 says:

That's what he definitely said. Hell, even I called WP7 "Windows 7 Phone". I still call WP8 "Windows 8 Phone".

VictoriaEva3 says:

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online(Click on menu Home)

FFS, WILL YOU STOP THIS ALREADY?!?!?!?

Jabid21 says:

Well I simply just call it Windows Phone.

jdevenberg says:

Don't blame the public on Microsoft choosing a confusing name.  It would make more sense for it to be windows 8 phone

+1 especially since they have a shared core now

lubbalots says:

If we call it w8p, people may confuse that with w8 as wp8 and w8 are not the same.

mlcooper54 says:

I'm used to dealing with Windows servers: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, so I think Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7.5, and Windows Phone 8 fit right in. Server 2008 and WIndows 7 share the same core. Granted it wasn't called Server 7 and Windows 7.

The latest Office refresh has Office 2013, Exchange Server 2013, Project 2013, SharePoint Server 2013. Maybe Microsoft is aiming to get as much software as possible to use the same naming conventions. Maybe Phone, Desktop/Laptop, and Server, as operating systems will converge to one naming convention and the programs that run on top of an OS will have another naming convention.

It definitely would make more sense and illuminate the fact that it is actually Windows running on a phone.  WP7 was sort of, but WinCE is not full on Windows.  The fact that the phone is running the NT/RT kernel is a big deal.

I think the phones should be called just windows phone, without the number (like widows phone 8), and we can call the UI windows 8, that would be pretty simple and it would get the point across. Sure there could be other names but this one is simple, don't you guys think?

Troyseph says:

When I talk to people about my Lumia 920, I let them know it is the latest windows phone.

MarkAllett says:

The phone shouldn't have the term "windows" in it at all, since the UI makes no use of windows. Also, calling it Windows gives the public a negative and old impression of it, especially if they have experience of Windows Mobile.

jusatin says:

And how does the UI make no use of Windows? That's the new look of Windows.

Bobby Bob says:

Some people even refer to it as the Xbox Phone (Xbox Music/Video/Games)... I think once the gaming department gets their act together with the DirectX Games... U'll starts to see more people refer to it as the Xbox Phone.

dpolara says:

My neighbor called me over to help her setup her new "iPhone" tonight.  When I got over there, I was surprised to see it was actually a new red Lumia 920!  Her husband got the black Lumia 920.  All night long, they kept calling it an "iPhone". I told them it was a Windows phone and she asked, "what's the difference?".  I avoided answering the question, and instead continued to help them setup their phones and their SkyDrive accounts.  Before I knew it they were sending photos to their friends and saying how easy it was.  But I have to wonder how many people walk into a store and ask for an "iPhone" when they actually mean Smartphone?

Reflexx says:

That's funny!

I guess the iPhone is so much a part of culture that it's almost generic now. Like Colgate or Kleenex.

S Rodrigo says:

more like bandaid, very overpriced but gets the job done about the same as the one for half price.

schlubadub says:

I've never heard "colgate" being used generically... I thought everyone called it toothpaste. But yes, the English love to say Kleenex instead of tissue and Hoover instead of vacuum / vacuum-cleaner. The yanks like to say Xerox instead of photocopy. I find the practice a little strange, although I do say "coke" for any cola beverage (even pepsi) and I say Panadol for any type of paracetamol / aspirin / analgesic

Giddora says:

In Sweden... A 4x4 is called a Jeep. :)

portinhob says:

Yeah, that happens all the time... My grandmother has a HTC One X and calls it iPhone, and my Aunt has a Lumia 800 and calls both her's and my grandmother's One X iPhones! LOL
My classmates do recognize the difference tho

Svenkka says:

Just call it Lumia :)

j_the_geek says:

I had the same at work when Windows Phone 6 was around and we started getting business phones in. Everyone (and I mean everyone) reffered to every phone as a Blackberry.

Dare2Blink says:

If it was me when she asked " what's the difference" I would reply " the difference is that its not made by a fruit company, does not scratch nearly as easily, it has s better camera/screen/OS, etc and that Nokia finds it offensive to call their lumias iPhones"

Guitarman450 says:

Windows 8 phone makes it sound like it linked to the computer os. Which in a way it is but windows phone 8 makes it sound more diverse.

EliteMikes says:

This is because everyone in Microsofts marketing needs fired. Using the windows name is their best and worst decision.  I think its the worst.  Ballmer talks about the need to change their image, changing the name would have been a great start.

jbrandonf says:

I think they're trying to leverage the Windows name to gain some sort of familiarity with consumers. Now, its not remotely familiar in the slightest but that's marketing for you.

If you look at how Apple marketed the first iPhone you may see some similarities. They had sold millions and millions of iPods and they wanted to leverage that user base to sell their phones so they marketed the iPhone as their 'best iPod yet.' I see what MS is doing but I don't think it makes too much sense in this instance.

teaMJPx says:

that's great! The more the platform gets adopted, the more support we will receive not just from Microsoft but from other companies too! This is good news.

imZadok says:

The satisfaction numbers are practically meaningless and seem to be more advertising spin. Afterall, who wouldn't prefer a HTC 8x or Lumia 920 over their old iPhone 3GS? Still, it's good to see Microsoft aggressively marketing Windows Phone.

FFugue says:

Is there really a difference between iPhone 3 and 5 anyway? Other than Siri, the extra row of icons, and the broken map app?

imZadok says:

While the interface is practically the same, the hardware is much improved. However I see your point, as I went from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 due to the iPhone 5 offering me very little incentive to 'upgrade'.

S Rodrigo says:

Same here..I was planning on getting an iphone5 at end of contract but I see the release as a huge flop all around and it was the extra push to give the win8 phone a chance. Got the yellow 920 and it rocks. Awesome phone, interesting OS and not just boring rows of icons. Nokia really takes the cake with the apps they offer up for free though. They are all awesome.

AMERICANRAJ says:

I have the cyan Lumia 900 and waiting for a 3 month pregnant Lumia 900 with a pureview 40MP camera. Let's call it L940

Dare2Blink says:

You are going to be waiting a long time

AMERICANRAJ says:

What if I'm right?

schlubadub says:

What if no one knows what you're talking about? :P

erzhik says:

88% is great, sure.. But what % of that actually translates into sales?

allos autos says:

And that is the million-dollar question.

I'm personally hoping it's the million-units-per-week question when the numbers come in! :D

bbqrooster says:

I see your point. But It's better than 20%, and you know that less than 20% will adopt.

Guitarman450 says:

Yea and how much is 88% we don't even know how many people participated

Capsloc says:

75k participants. So 88% of 75,000 roughly. I'm too lazy to give you exact # lol.

karelj says:

Article states 75,000

ade333 says:

Exposure is still objective #1.  Clearly everyone with skin in the WP8 game would love for sales to just go through the roof on their own, but reaching the majority of consumers (i.e. not people who read tech sites) takes more than good specs or a high megapixel camera.  It takes incessentant repetition of the brand.  The specs and features make a big difference, but so many people just buy what they hear.  Choosing to ignore it just means that your competitors take all the low hanging fruit

larspassic says:

I did meet your match because I heard about it on windows phone news sites like this, and I wanted the coupon. My Lumia 920 had not arrived yet so I walked through the motions with my previous phone. Of course I prefer windows phone. Does that mean anything? Not really.

larspassic says:

However it killed me when I had to hold myself back from answering questions about the other phones that the employee I was working with was unable to answer.

z8er says:

Anybody else think the picture was a screenshot from The Sims?

feardrew says:

I did. I thought it was a screen shot from the Sims. Thought I was the only one.

Twice Born says:

lol!  I did too!

ejlee072006 says:

Windows 8 phone sounds better

flyer6 says:

On the other hand, the spam comments are getting worse.

Optimus82 says:

How about going up against a Galaxy Note 2, HTC One S or even a Galaxy S3? Something more updated? Make it even.

ryan.kruger says:

My boss has the S3. And while he won't say it, I know he likes my Windows Phone 8X by HTC (its real name :p) just fine. Playing with both, I like the UI on the WP better. Both coming from IOS. Pretty nifty stuff. Beats the hell out of my iPhone 4.

You're implying that Samsungs are good phones, which they are not.

Optimus82 says:

And that is a fact, hones? Sure. A Galaxy Note 2 runs circles around any phone out there. From battery life to real multitasking, multi windows, wacom digitizer. Really nothing like it.

Giddora says:

That's because it's a tablet...

Chris Rohan says:

A Phablet.......

Optimus82 says:

Lol okay. If u consider 5.3 and 5.5 inches a tablet.

poddie says:

Well, that's a bit of FUD ain't it?

My wife has been very happy with her company supplied GS3.  She would prefer a Windows Phone, but they don't offer that option.  But the Galaxy SIII has worked pretty well for her and seems like a durable, well made phone.

When you slam good stuff just because it's not your preference you come off as some kind of zealot and people think you don't know what you're talking about.  Just a tip.

Dare2Blink says:

Sorry but the S3 is neither durable or well made as numerous drop tests have shown and your wife will find out once she drops it one or twice

sholokov says:

Everything aside, I am having the worst luck with the Lumia 920s. My 3rd Lumia just died. It worked intermittently all day, exising out of apps, and now when I shut it down to restart it, it reaches the Nokia screen and get stuck there. My first two had speakerphone and rattle issues. This one died after two weeks.

poddie says:

Surely this must be related to something you have installed or your usage pattern?  Anything "strange" about those?

sholokov says:

YES yes yes...I just unbricked my 920 by flashing it....To anwser your question, my yellow nokia 920 arrived with a bad speakerphone right out of the box...returned within an hour of receiving it. The first red I bought had the worst rattle issue when it vibrated. The 3rd...that i am using now was giving me trouble all day with apps existing. so when i restarted, it got bricked...stuck on the Nokia logo. So I flashed it using Nokia's product support tool...thanks to Mr. Hamza Khalid of WPcentral.

sholokov says:

I meant apps EXITING

barry.weston says:

Ya 3 for 3 is pretty near impossible.

sholokov says:

Each one had a different issue. I think the third one started acting up once I filled 20 GB of space. Just guessing...

mlcooper54 says:

I installed a 64 GB memory card in my L822 a couple weeks ago. After 5 minutes of copying music the phone would lock and need a reset. I reformatted the card, but same problem. People that purchased the card on Amazon were reporting high defect rates. I replaced the card and was able to move my 50 GB of music onto the phone without a hitch. Maybe your latest L920 has a defective memory chip.

sholokov says:

Now that I have made it to work again, I will copy over all the music files again. Lets see what happens.

jbwingsup says:

I work for a cell carrier and u wouldn't believe how many people call smart phones iPhones. Or how many people think android and droids are two different phones. People do know about windows phone so when I show them their eyes light up but most don't want to take a chance on a two yr contract for a phone they don't know about. Its sad really, how many people don't even want to hear me talk about windows phone. Microsoft needs to change there marketing. instead of playing cool music and showing a phone, take time show what the phone can do. Talk about the great features. You see none of that and that's why no one knows about #wp8

WinFan1 says:

I agree sometimes when I go to pay my bill at atnt I really want to answer all the questions that people ask the representatives in the store that sound so clueless

Chill510 says:

I also work for a carrier and it is a pain trying to sell the WP8 devices. Even when I recommend it to someone and show them my personal WP8 device....all they wanna here is "is this a Droid or iPhone?"...i feel like slapping them. I had a lady tell me "How do u get anything done one something that's not an iphone" ..i had to tell her "How do you go anywhere in a car that's not a BMW?." I get alot of satisfaction when I do get those few that make the switch from a Galaxy to Nokia/HTC. I got one guy who loves his 810...comes in every other week to ask about new apps and features. My point is ..that is definitely a tough sell...we don't need 500,000 apps....but we do need more mainstream apps and games.

Weavile2196 says:

WP. They're growing up so fast.

frugo says:

I hate all that "they're growing" No THEY ARE NOT GROWING! since 2010! I will only be satisfied if I see a report showing 20milion devices sold in a quarter if not then forget that WP will never sell. Really, I mean REALLY this campaign doesn't make any sense if phones are not selling. And personally I had 3 Windows Phones since 2010 and I have convinced just 5 people to get WP device, but I feel like I'm alone, WE all must educate people around about this ecosystem, instead of wasting that time on WPcentral.

aubreyq says:

I agree with your sentiment except maybe we don't need 20 million sold in a quarter. 10 million would be nice, though.

Judge_Daniel says:

You went a bit preachy there at the end, but I see your point. Sales are sales. Anything else is just fluff.

Blazers2012 says:

"believed that Windows Phone was a much better match for them then their current smartphone."
Should be "than", not "then".  "Than" is for comparisons, "then" is for a sequence....first I went to wpcental.com and then posted this comment.

Better writing Rich Edmonds, come on!

mlcooper54 says:

Blazers - good luck with this one. One of the 'editors' here told me that due to the quantity they write, they don't have time to worry about the quality of how they write it.

Starlight87 says:

It's nice to see that Windows is putting some effort in promoting their phones in some countries.
Here in Austria it's nearly impossible to get a Windows Phone with contract. The Nokia phones will arrive somewhere in 2013 and the HTC phones are all sold out. Some guys preordered the 8x in October and still haven't recieved their phones yet. Although there are enough pieces without a contract at local stores, the mobile companies can't offer them with a contract....
Hope this will change soon, otherwise they will miss the christmas sales.

freudator says:

On Contract for Christmas sale? really?
You get an phone on contract because your contract is running out but at christmas sale it should be phones w/o contract selling or did you ever give a contract as a christmas present?
Btw if you have the money it usually makes more sense to buy the phone and than get a cheaper contract from a network reseller (I don't know the name for these) like 1&1 which operates on vodafone network and sells Allnet-Flats for 24,99 a month (First year 19,99 second year 29,99 a month)

sdfkuhiuhsdf says:

in order to thank everyone, characteristic, novel style, varieties, low price and good quality, and the low sale price. Thank everyone

│\_╭╭╭╭╭_/│
 │         │\|/
 │ ●     ● │—☆—
 │○ ╰┬┬┬╯ ○│/|\
 │   ╰—╯   /
 ╰—┬○————┬○╯
  ╭│     │╮
  ╰┴—————┴╯ asfewgwe

JimiDiGriz says:

Is it me or are the spam messages on WP forums getting worse?

MastrMeatWad says:

They are getting worse.  Site is probably getting more hits now and with that followed the spam.  I find the work from home on my "ipad/imac" kind of funny since they are posting it in wpcentral.