Nokia guide to saving a Lumia Windows Phone from drowning

Nokia Water Guide

Nokia has published this semi-humorous guide to saving a Lumia Windows Phone from being permanently damaged by water. Should you so happen to drop your Lumia device into a swimming pool or a bath, then these simple steps might just turn your bad luck (or clumsiness) into a gigantic sigh of relief. So how does one go about rescuing a drowning Lumia Windows Phone?

Firstly, one must remove the device from its watery hell as quickly as possible. The faster it's removed from water, the lower the chance of permanent damage. You should then remove the SIM card and battery (if possible) to prevent further damage to components.

Next up is actually drying the handset. To carry this out effectively, one should use a dry cloth or towel - don't attempt to use paper towel, toilet paper or even a hairdryer (do we need to explain why?). Ensure all excess water has been removed from the Windows Phone. Of course this wont completely dry the device inside-out, so a nights rest next to a radiator (or in a bag of rice / wrapped in a towel) is required.

Once the phone has had time to shake off, re-insert the SIM and battery to check if it boots up. If it's successful then congratulations, if not then you're looking at the possibility of irreversible damage. We're pretty sure this guide can be applied to all sturdy Windows Phones, just remember not to go swimming with your handset in your pocket.

Via: MonWindowsPhone

Comments

joey.mccoy93 says:

Can confirm this works from first hand experience.

SolunaKitty says:

Whenever I hear of a friend dropping a phone in water, the next thing I hear is to put it in a bag of rice. I hear it so much that as soon as I read the title, I figured rice could be involved~ I have not tried it myself, but I know it has worked for several friends.

EAA575 says:

Seen this already but still cool

Y isn't it just water proof

inteller says:

They left out the step where you bleach the water indicators then make a warranty claim with ATT.

selfcreation says:

hmm yeah then send it out for repair , they open the phone , find metal corrosion and AUTOMATICLY charge you full price for a phone for water damage.

unless you open up the phone and clean it with a tooth brush and robbing alcohol to prevent corrosion.

Kreblon says:

I once dropped my iPhone into a full bathtub, but was able to reach in and grab it before it reached the bottom of the tub with my ninja reflexes. Turned it off, towel dried it, and stuck it in a bag of rice for two days. No problems at all.

anseio says:

Ninja Reflexes! Awesome!!!

Robertottink says:

If you had bijna reflexes, than you had catch it before it hit the water.

sanjlogan says:

Bag of rice experience really works... Did on my bud's WP

relexx says:

I've never drowned my phone, but could anybody please explain why I shouldn't use toilet paper? It's much more flexible and I can reach all the tiny spots on my phone, so why shouldn't I use it?
I got the point with the hairdryer (heat, vaporizing water, water spots, etc.) but paper?

The answer to this question is simple, really. How many times have you wiped yourself with toilet paper and had that "OH S***" moment when it tore a little due to the moisture from wiping? Or, how many times have you wiped and noticed little bits of balled up TP stuck in your crack. Using toilet paper on your device to reach those 'hard to reach' spots, will more than likey ensure you will then have bits of TP stuck in those 'hard to reach' spots.

schlubadub says:

They should have a guide for different situations and what you're likely to have on hand. i.e. when dropped in the ocean vs pool vs filthy pub toilet :P

mt1202 says:

I used the bag of rice trick on a Kindle Fire that fell in the pool...worked great.

Haley Casler says:

well the heat in my house isn't on yet, nor do i have a bag of rice, so lets hope a towel and an electric fireplace will work!