Verizon is delivering new firmware for Lumia Icon owners using 8.1 Preview for Developers

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Nokia updates Network+ again

Nokia buying Medio Systems to improve its HERE maps service

Nokia firmware and OS update for AT&T Lumia 920 spotted on their servers

Looks like AT&T is also getting in on the game for updating their Lumia 920 flagship phone. A new update has just popped up on Nokia's servers, viewable by the third party Navifirm software.

The update is simply labeled PR1_1_V3, which to us sounds a lot like the update detailed yesterday by Engadget that fixes the soft-focus on the Lumia 920. But there is reason to believe that this is more than just an update for the camera as it will presumably address other minor issues with the phone and tweak some settings.

We’re uncertain at this point if this includes the ‘Portico’ OS update as well, which is a separate function from upgrading the firmware to version 1249 (current one is 1242).

If you are thinking of doing this update yourself, we would strongly advice you to wait, as we don’t know the status of the version on the server. What’s more, you will hard-reset the device and wipe it clean, potentially losing any “saved game” states and other personalization. Only the official “over the air” update will preserve this info and be a true update instead of a device flash.

Having said that, we’ll take the bullet for you and try to flash one of our own devices.

Update and Confirmed: it does have the Windows Phone 8 OS update to Portico.

Thanks, Ryan M., for the tip

Comments

Jf.Vigor says:

Well thanks :)

Natebird says:

Please I would love to flash my device with this can't wait to see the results

sholokov says:

Since I flashed my phone yesterday, I have nothing to lose. I am going ahead with it. It is downloading right now. See you after flash...

sholokov says:

The new FFU is about 10MB bigger than the original. New FFU size is 1.03 GB. Total download size is 1.08 GB.

1 STUNNA says:

Oh fuck yes! do report back!

sholokov says:

I am back...with Portico installed. So far it looks fine. Picture quality has improved, but they didn't add any settings to the camera app. Once download completed, the Flashing process took about 3-4 minutes. I was back up and running within minutes.

sholokov says:

I used to get better quality with 4:3 ratio pictures compared to 16:9 ones. But now they have identical and better sharpness. HUGE improvements.

prestonalan says:

I can't imagine it would be more than a few days before it pops up if it's on the servers.

eshy says:

if the at&t version is on the server, it means they already tested it. Now it's just Microsoft scheduling the update (they have the 8X update rolling out too, and they usually roll it out in waves)

looking forward to it!

Sweet! Coming from android I have forgotten what it's like to actually get software updates for my phone.

Totally agree, pleasantly surprised to be getting updates one month from purchase of my Lumia, Verizon is very slow at updates

Aaron M says:

To be honest, this is also an improvement from WP7.  The first update, NoDo, didn't come out until March I believe and there was a whole fiasco with carriers delaying it for months.  I like to think MS has improved greatly in that regaurd.

stoickiwi says:

I flashed it on my device after I tipped WPC and it includes Portico and the camera improvements. I definiely have call reject with SMS and the drafts as well. Awesome update!

Hiiiiiiiii says:

Any battery life improvements?

upupandawol says:

I saw a nifty tip in the forum and it worked for me. If you are a having problems with your 920 battery life, factory reset it... I TRIED IT... THE SHIT WORKS!. anyone suffering through this try resetting. And the with the new backup feature and auto app install you really have nothing to loose. But officially this update would be awesome for those who don't wanna take that route, and to put this problem to bed.

Hiiiiiiiii says:

I heard reset bricks phones so I'd rather not, some report that the reboot trick did not unbrick them

cdbstl76 says:

Did bot brick mine, nor did it fix the issue. I traded it in for another one because all the "tricks" people said worked, did nothing for mine.

Steve Ridges says:

I think the people that bricked their phones where doing the funky key press where you hold down power + volume etc.  I don't know what the exact sequence is.  I did the reset from within the phone software itself.  Under about, there is an option to reset the phone.  While I didn't notice a big imporvement with battery life, the reset did fix some other issues I was having.

rdubmu says:

I brinked my first 920 by going into settings \ about \ rest your phone.
It never came back.

Rick Smits says:

I did this with my lumia 900 and it indeed worked. @upupandawol

chrgeorgeson says:

You will lose app data though.

upupandawol says:

O,yea. Ur right

based_graham says:

After the Nokia Drive update my battery is amazing.

tds101 says:

Thank you!!!

inteller says:

uh, it is on Nokia's servers.

Tommy Parker says:

AWESOME! can't wait

Sobr0801 says:

Awesome! Looking forward to the update.

Thanks for taking it for the crowd!

jlynnm350z says:

I want it. . . I need it

rojar19 says:

Can anyone tell me if SMS messaging with windows phone 8 will auto send multiple messages if you go over the 160 character Limit?

rider2040 says:

Yes, it does.

inteller says:

gawd it has done that for years.

If he had the arrive on sprint he couldn't for some reason and sprint never fixed it.

techygeek82 says:

Not exactly true. I had the HTC Arrive on Sprint and that device did NOT send SMS over 160 characters. I don't know if that was a Sprint limitation, but once I bounced to an ATT WP device, it worked. The Android I had before the Arrive DID send over 160 Characters. Sprint was always just WEIRD!

pookiewood says:

They didn't even deploy the KB fix update.  That is the second reason I switched to AT&T for the Lumia 920.  First being they didn't want to support WP8.  Bye!  Loving that it automatically splits the messages for you.  That was VERY tedious on the Arrive.

rojar19 says:

Ok, so it isn't the os that was limiting me. I hate this arrive phone. Unfortunately, I can't get as good pricing on my cell phone bill anywhere else.

mrdeezus says:

All I want is a BT fix!!

jiffffy pop says:

+1. My BT goes in and out on my 920 playing music, its really a pain. My 900 has no BT problems at all.

Nokia Lumia 920 and I use the LG HBS-730 Bluetooth Stereo headset since release and listen to mine all day no Bluetooth disconnects... Yet.. ;)

pookiewood says:

What is wrong with your BT?

walter1832 says:

Off topic.  Anyone seen any good deals on the Otterbox Commuter cases for the 920?

wpward291 says:

Att store will give you 25% off right now on it.

walter1832 says:

Thanks, but ATT doesn't sell the commuter, just the defender.

edjr07 says:

All I want is this double text thing to stop. Everyone complains about the double text. Its not on the carrier side either as I have already done the necessary steps to resolve this on carrier side.

I'm so glad to hear my wife and I aren't the only ones with this issue!!!

Vector555 says:

Not sure what double text thing you are talking about. Can you clue me in?

Don't know about omkneepotent, but for my wife and I messages we send to each other and people on other networks can be received up to 5 times, and messages people send us can be received up to 5 times. It was a lot worse a few weeks ago, near Thanksgiving, but it is still an issue, only getting doubles now though. Haven't seen the 4-5 duplicates in couple weeks.

edjr07 says:

Agreed. I have converted a bunch of people over and now when they text me it comes double. Or delayed. I'll sometimes get multiple texts all at once.

PhilR8 says:

This is the worst part.  Not that I'm an evangelist, but my friend and I have had Windows Phones since around launch and we both recently upgraded to 920s, and our other friend, who was stuck on a POS Droid 2, decided to upgrade to an 8X to join us on WP8.  Now, we can't get Rooms to work properly and it's really souring his experience.  Just frustrating that WP8 has finally, finally gotten Microsoft to the point where people are willing to switch and core functionality does not work properly.  It's not worth getting too upset about, I guess, but still pretty disheartening.

Mantikos says:

I had issues with Rooms too - it finally only got sorted when all of us were on the same WiFi network and tried one last time and VOILA! it worked.

PhilR8 says:

hm, that's good to know. I'll try that this weekend.

rdubmu says:

are you guys using the same live/hotmail/outlook account on the phone, and if you have SMS Backup on then of course it will do this.

My dad receives double texts from me every once in a while also.

fradchad says:

I think that happens when you include an emoticon. Had the same issue. Works fine when I stop sending smileys.

addicusbrown says:

No double texts for my wife and myself. Also, rooms works well for me so far. My family in Saudi created on a 920 and it works flawlessly here in the States. I'm not discounting your issues, just saying it isn't all of us. Which carrier(s) are you on?

jainer123 says:

same here; no issues with texts or rooms.  i'm sorry to hear its not going well for you.  if you find a fix, let us know!

This must be a carrier issue with 920 as had mine from day of release and never had any message issue

I didn't have the double, triple, quadrouple, or cinqtouple text issues on my 920. It DOES happen ALL the time on my Xperia TL though (which I have to use because my 920 got bricked doing a full reset and Nokia is now having to send me a new phone).
Not sure what the issue is with the multiple texts but I sure hope it's just an Android thing for me. Pretty annoying.

dan.g46 says:

My friend had an Iphone 5 on the sprint network and would do that constantly

AccentAE86 says:

Well, looks like as usual Rogers is slowest to push updates. Will unbranded firmware brick a rogers phone? I know it has with past handsets...

mapleleafs89 says:

If its AT&T then it will break the AWS functionality on the rogers handset. Someone else flashed AT&T rom or firmware and after they reverted back to rogers these bands no longer worked.

AccentAE86 says:

Damn, i am on wind so i need aws. I hope rogers is good with the wp8 updates because they were totally horrible and nonexistant with Symbian.

jwinch2 says:

I thought one of the issues that was supposed to be taken care of with WP8 was the ability to cut the carrier out of the loop and push updates directly to the end user.  This article seems to suggest that it is carrier specific, unless I am misinterpreting something.

You're original presupposition is incorrect, WP8 was not meant to cut out the carriers but rather streamline the process.

Byzantium says:

Can you specify further on what "streamlining the process" actually means?

Mantikos says:

Kinda like Mango - have everyone test teh updates faster and roll them out together (or around the same time)

Small cert fixes are direct from MSFT now - they did cut out the carriers on those

jwinch2 says:

Interesting.  I remember a good deal of discussion prior to the release of WP8 about how carriers were the problem and were responsible for delaying the push of updates to consumers.

PhilR8 says:

Hopefully the issues with Rooms will be addressed, although I'm not optimistic.  Right now, my friend and I can't join each other's rooms and we've gone through all of the official troubleshooting suggestions from the Windows Phone support forum.

edjr07 says:

I'm in a big thread in the answers forum and have resolved a bunch of issues there. What domain are you live id's?

PhilR8 says:

Mine is a live.com account, his is a yahoo account.  Here's our story:  I created a room, my friend with a 920 was able to join fine.  My friend with the yahoo domain was able to join and see everything but not participate.  He went through all of the options in that thread in the answers forum and then performed a hard reset, but then he texted me that he still couldn't do anything so he wanted me to re-invite him.
This was a mistake, since I went in and deleted him from the room and then tried to re-add him... but just before I deleted him, he found the room (he was unsure of where to find it, being new to WP8) and went in and all of his functionality worked (chat, add calendar appointments).  But then I deleted him because we were doing this from two different locations simulatneously.  So a miscommunication took us from everything working properly to me deleting him from the room.
So I figured I could just re-add him, right?  Wrong.  Now he can't even join the room.  He creates a room and I can't join it.  I tried unlinking accounts so that only his microsoft account was asked to join, I tried all of the options at the Answers page re: registering at sms.live.com and other stuff, still no dice.  We haven't performed hard resets again, because frankly, that should not have to be an option to get Rooms to work correctly.  I was surprised that he was willing to do it in the first place; it's just too bad that I got a little impatient and deleted him from the room when the hard resest solved his problems.  Having to do it again for either of us does not seem like a satisfactory answer; in fact, wading through that thread (the eight page long thread that I assume you are referencing) and the really long official troubleshooting article isn't something I find acceptable either.  It shouldn't take that much effort to make Rooms work.  Really frustrating.

Sounds like user error to me.

MooCoo says:

Offcourse it will be fixed! We are talking about Nokia here!

PhilR8 says:

well, it's not a Nokia-specific problem.  It's a WP8 problem.

gtbuzz says:

Can't wait for this to hit. I love my 920 but these random resets are annoying and are getting worse. Already locked up 5 times today alone just browsing email.

Raesu says:

I had odd crashing issues with email and messages. Uninstall Skype and restart phone- this solved any issues I had.

Or try a hard reset too- back up prior in settings and its really not an issue. Only, you have to rmset up your start screen again.

MooCoo says:

I guess you have a gmail account. It might be the reason.

gtbuzz says:

Yup, I do use Gmail, but it's been pretty stable before today. Also, the crashes weren't all with Gmail. By my count:
1x - reading work email (Exchange server)
3x - reading gmail
2x - browsing web page in IE
3x - using Nokia Drive +
That makes a total of 9 crashes today! Really not sure what caused the uptick, but before today, I'd get one maybe once every 2-3 days.

mane3215 says:

Can't wait, wish they added call blocking as well.

MrKrishna says:

Do you guys know if this will be pushed through AT&T or Nokia? I've got a 920 on T-Mobile...just wondering if I'll get notified or not...?

Which carrier's logo is on the front of your phone?

MrKrishna says:

none - it's a dev unlocked phone...(thanks!)

hfcas says:

same here. waiting for some good news

MooCoo says:

Just hold your horses ppl. Nokia will fix things. And you all will be getting it. If not at the same time but fairly close. It was same with the Lumia 800 update.
I can see that you haven't been used to Nokias type of doing things well.
Just calm down :-)

aaa6112 says:

Does Portico contain the "WiFi always on" feature?

And thanks wp central for confirming the update by using one of your own windows phones :)

T-rom09 says:

I'm guessing there's no fix in this update for making music playlists on the phone? Right now it is such a pain

WinFan1 says:

How do you make playlists please tell me

T-rom09 says:

I think the one playlist I made was by accident so I don't really make them now. I guess my question should've been are they adding a playlist feature

Add songs to now playing and then have the option to save as playlist from there.

MerlotC says:

If you have a 920 read the Nokia help & tips app on your phone.

cardinalryan says:

How do you get the software if you want to flash?  Can someone please explain?

Use Nokia Care Suite 2012.45.4.5 to flash the firmware.

pjn123 says:

Just hope the update is out before I go on vacation and don't have my wifi connection with me anymore

What's the different between Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-820) and Nokia Lumia 920 (RM-821) ?

RM-820 contain firmware for AT&T and Rogers while RM-821 contain firmware for all other carriers.

Is the hardware different?

Also, why are their different firmware for different colors?

mister2d says:

The RM-821 is faster.

Luiskp says:

The Lumia 820 for ATT has the PORTICO update too.
Its RM824... If I Have a RM825 i cant have that Rom?

Hmmm only AT&T update available on Navifirm. I hope it isn't the opposite case here, AT&T gets the update first while factory unlocked variants keep on waiting

Luiskp says:

Portico Update for Lumia 820 ATT is on Navifirm also.
No update for RM825 - Factory unlocked.

Daniel, apparently the update is also available for AT&T Nokia Lumia 820 (on the server).

PittaMan says:

Can I update to this without flashing or should I just wait for the official release?

If you don't want to flash your phone, you'll have to wait for official release.

bono5112 says:

Taking one for the team Daniel, I like your style

The_Internet says:

Hoping this resolves my issues with the phone randomly turning off and not restarting. Been through two 920s already with the same behavior.

phirefly says:

I think ie has a lot more settings now

phirefly says:

And the hearing loss warning when increasing volume over 20

Can someone clarify if Portico allows you to play WAV files yet?

Memristor says:

Just received a message on my phone that there is an update and it is portico.

I just checked manually on mine... no updates... are you serious, or just jerking our chains, lol.

MojoDoj0 says:

When will this update be available in Sweden? Do you guys know if there is an update on Navifirm that I can flash my device with?

There's a PR 1.1 firmware for Verizon Wireless's Nokia Lumia 822 on Nokia's server.

I am not sure if it's Portico or not. Does any brave soul wants to try flashing his/her device?

RM-845_NAM_VZW_VAR242360_PR1_1_White (059P3Z8)