Cyan on AT&T

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Nokia Lumia 920 EE exclusivity ending, flagship heading to Vodafone

Lumia 920

Vodafone UK has published a new entry on its blog detailing plans for Windows Phone 8. The carrier previously unveiled that it would be stocking a selection of Windows Phone 8 hardware in early 2013. More details have been revealed as the company has now confirmed that a new Windows Phone will be joining the Lumia 820, HTC 8X and HTC 8S. It would appear as though the Lumia 920 exclusivity deal with EE is drawing to an end.

The flagship Nokia handset will be making its way to Vodafone in the new year. We had doubts that the manufacturer would continue down the exclusive path with EE, especially with all the negativity the new 4G network has received from consumers due to data limitations, expensive pricing and sub-par service. We even wrote up a short opinion piece on why consumers dislike the new network.

We've reviewed all four handsets and believe each one to offer a unique Windows Phone experience. Covering multiple price points, Vodafone will be able to target different demographics. These will include newcomers to the platform and smartphones in general, as well as those with tight pockets or who desire the best possible specification.

For the time being Vodafone is stating that all four Windows Phone 8 devices will arrive in the early stages of the new year, but we'll be sure to update closer to the time with more accurate details on both pricing and availability. It's good to see other networks taking up Lumia Windows Phones as smartphone exclusivity is not entirely welcomed by British consumers.

With Vodafone jumping on the train, we expect O2 and possibly even Three to look at taking Nokia's flagship Windows Phone sometime soon and adding it to their already established arsenal of handsets.

Source: Vodafone; thanks, Brenda, for the heads up!

Comments

congrats, Vodafone. It's amazing. :D

James Shaw says:

Greater availability is welcome but I've actually been really happy with EE - the 4G is surprisingly fast and generally available when I've been moving around London and the call quality is great. Actually very pleasantly surprised after previously being on Giff Gaff (from O2) 3G that always seemed slow and Three where signal always seemed non existant

lubbalots says:

What is the point of all that exclusivity? Just to see if its a hit or not? Then other carriers will decide to take. I switched to ATT just for the 920. I'd be a little upset if tmo decides to carry it, which I doubt they will.

The carriers pay Nokia for that exclusivity time frame. You'll likely not see it on TMo. It'll likely go to sprint if it ends up s success, since Verizon already has a comparable offering in the works.

@drunken scholar:  I'd say the opposite since Sprint and Verizon are both CDMA, right?

@portinhob  The AT&T model would work as is on T-Mo without issue or does the 920 support Sprint's netowrk now?
Either way, T-Mo will find a way not to get it.  I have faith in them, there.

sosekas says:

When will Verizon's comparable offering debut?

cpmcgrath says:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Nokia was right with exclusive deals on the 920. Why?
- Carriers pay them extra money for an exlusive period
- Being an exclusive device the carrier is more willing to push the device.
- The 920's are selling out around the world. If the disadvantage of exclusivity is smaller audience, it doesn't really matter if Nokia can't keep up with the demand of the smaller audience.

jayabarker says:

I spoke to Nokia and they did say they hope to bring the 920 to other networks in January and to watch "this space" for an announcement.  Hope O2 come on board, still running my Mozart and it is running out of steam!!

IRB360 says:

I got the same news when I asked them, this is good news :)

UltimateKGB says:

I'm hoping for more colours to be available, preferably cyan and I will leave t-mobile for it

mrcraggle says:

Oh damn, my Lumia 920 is arriving tomorrow from Orange. May send it back as I have 7 days to do so.

tbonenga says:

I'd bet it's coming to T-Mobile. The exclusivity will end on ATT. When it does T-Mobile will get it. Nokia already has the phone ready with T-Mobile frequencies. Just a matter of time.

noelwilliams says:

The 920 is already on TMobile

noelwilliams says:

EE is TMobile and Orange in the UK therefore the Nokia Lumia 920 is available on TMobile

smontoya2 says:

Wish the same for AT&T exclusivity to end & come to Verizon.

Jealy666 says:

I've also been happy with EE since my swap from o2 (couldn't resist the 920!). The 4G is great and although I don't get it in my hometown of Blackburn I seem to get it at work in Chorley (closest connection is apparently Manchester). Also tried it in Glasgow and it's just as good.

Alphageek_UK says:

I switched from Vodafone to Orange/T-Mobile/EE because of their lack of WP8 devices. What use is "in the new year"?
Been with Voda since 1996... oh well, goodbye.
EE network is pretty good so far and the L920 is fantastic.