Microsoft takes the Lumia 930 to the Cornbury music festival

China's going after Microsoft, but what for?

Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Is Microsoft readying a Lumia device that runs Android?

Bought new Windows hardware? Trade in your old devices with Microsoft's Buy Back scheme

Microsoft restores control of seized domains to No-IP

Microsoft publishes changelog for Windows Phone 8 OS update

Although we have gone over a lot of the changes in the Windows Phone 8 ‘Portico’ update that started rolling out today (build 10211), there were a few tiny nuggets that even we missed.

Luckily Microsoft has gone ahead and printed out all the changes in detail on the site and while there is nothing that’s stop-the-presses, the details should satisfy those who need to know.

Update 8.0.10211.204

• Messaging improvements. A great messaging experience is now even better. You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can even edit received text messages before you forward them.
  • Text replies to incoming calls. Can't take a call? Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen. It's a nice way to let people know that you're not ignoring them.
  • Internet Explorer improvements. You can now change your settings to prevent pictures from downloading automatically—an easy way to help keep data usage low. You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest intact.
  • Wi-Fi connectivity. Got a favorite Wi-Fi network? Windows Phone 8 will now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history.
  • Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

For us, besides Nokia’s camera fixes, the always-on Wi-Fi seems to be the coolest. While these changes are not game changers, they certainly do add some nice pizzazz and finishing touches to Windows Phone 8.

How’s the update treating you? What’s your favorite new feature? Let us know in comments. (Thanks, jcutting, for the tip!)

Comments

IceCake says:

This is true, that screen is just POPPIN now. :)

rgsiiiya says:

Now that they [hopfully] have addressed the stablization and random reboot issues....
I MUST turn their attention to:
a) restoring the audio turn-by-turn functionality (worked GREAT in 7.5, completely dropped in 8 :(:()
b) cleaning up and fixing the music experience and migration of DRM content to WP8

JimmyFal says:

I have text reply enable, and i have replies put in. I don't see where to reject a call with a text message. When someone calls it says Answer or Ignore. Can someone step by step me through this? What am I missing?

procen says:

For what I read you need to have the person or number be in your contacts before you can reject their call/calls.

IceCake says:

Reject with text?, cause "ignore" is rejecting the call.

JimmyFal says:

Ok it just showed up. When a call comes in it now says, reply with text on that screen. Nice!

IceCake says:

I think when you tap "ignore" as a call comes in, you then have the option to give the text reply.

NH3MAN says:

I must have misunderstood because I thought and was hoping I could select multiple txts in the same thread to delete. If I have several important txts in a long thread it would take forever to delete the ones I don't want. Am I missing something because I still can't do that :(

IceCake says:

It's there, I just checked. You may have to go into your "text" settings, and set it to "group" texting first.

abond32 says:

Auto adjust on brightness is adjusting to much or to often

guess still no custom alerts for SMS or emails instead of using windows defaults? You can change custom ringtones to any mp3 you have but can't do the same for alert notification. Using the default sound they all sound the same, so it would be nice to create my own sound so I know what's what.

BearJammerz says:

I have to say, I do agree with some others about the screen looking better... some of the pics off Weave look much better.  Just for example, under food... the pics of the rib roast and brussel sprouts look much better.  I remembered they just looked blah before, especially the meat.

VineRider says:

Bluetooth now working on my 2007 BMW X5. YEA!!!!!

zeke009 says:

It appears performance has improved with Ford Sync. Must be the BT updates that helped out there.

lottidah says:

Hmmm.  I tested SYNC after the update and still see one issue that I had before:  If I initiate a call through SYNC, I can not hear it dial (through my car speakers) and once the other party answers, it goes on "Privacy."

zeke009 says:

I have a Ford Edge with Sync VersionGen2 - V3.2.2 and this update does appear to have brought some stability and speed improvements to voice commands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the appearance of the privacy button is a toggle for you to take it off the speakers so you don't have to hit the BT button on your phones call screen.

I  can hear the ringing, but not the dialing when I place a call as well.

lottidah says:

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a touch Sync system (2010 Mercury) so I don't know exactly how to get it off privacy. Also, I misspoke. I meant to say I can't hear it ringing.

What does this mean? You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message

NH3MAN says:

purevibz says:

I think they fix podcast download over Wi-Fi because after the update I walk outside while connected to my network and all my podcast started to download.

JimmyRespawn says:

any rogers user's 920 get the update?

Smileymtl says:

I'm on Rogers and when I checked phone update in settings around 3:30pm today it started downloading. So far very happy with the update.

JimmyRespawn says:

thanks 4 the info.

madmoondog says:

Err still can't play WAV files

Vheissu says:

Any idea when this update is coming to Verizon phones?

hink3000 says:

Hello Tmobile. Where's my update????

EBynum says:

Just updated my phone and it all went smoothly.
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but what exactly is the benefit of keeping wi-fi on when the screen times out? The Nokia Lumia 920 is my first ever smartphone (yeah, i'm finally coming out of the dumbphone dark ages), so I'm still a newbie with all this smartphone stuff. According to information posted on the Windows Phone site, keeping wi-fi on when the screen times out uses more battery power, so battery life could be shorter. Not sure if the benefit of leaving wi-fi on outweighs the extra battery consumption. Thoughts?

drmnyousuf says:

So u can continue to receive incoming messages, notifications & emails that rely on internet connectivity.

I'm confused. On iOS leaving WiFi on all the time, and especially when locked saved huge on battery. Why on WP8 would this not be the case. 4g/LTE is supposed to consume more battery power.

mrdeezus says:

Because this is standard on almost every other OS and people dont care a bout battery life, well the one who want this option dont.

daguila29 says:

any one know what his means?

• "You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message"

Yeah saw that and not sure what they meant. I sent a text with a picture to 4 recipients last night before this update.

NH3MAN says:

Answered above... "If you go to add a recipient look at the bottom to tap select and then it will give you check boxes to select multiple people. You can also just tap on the left edge of the screen next to a contact and the boxes will pop out..."

daguila29 says:

Great thanks :)

lottidah says:

I'm curious if this includes any fix related to the Store.  After the update, I got prompted for three updates that were a day or two old (Macy's, Flixster, UrbanSpoon).  Maybe just a coincidence...

Ryrafer says:

REBOOT BUG STILL NOT ADDRESSED! ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

DaytonaGTS says:

Absolutely agree, mine is still rebooting. It has rebooted twice now in the 5 hours since I did Portico... So for me that's better since I have had to get used to a dozen or more reboots a day. It is getting pretty old and am thinking about going back to WP 7.5 till it really gets resolved since it really gets old trying to answer calls or send texts and having the thing go into reboot mode. Or worse showing off the phone to a person really interested and having the thing start rebooting 3 or 4 times in a row.

mondokjm says:

New WiFi settings are so nice. Absolutely perfect.

Got my first B(lack)SOD I have ever gotten on this phone, 7 hours after I updated it. :( Hope that isn't a sign of things to come.

It seems like the screen isn't waking up. I wonder they messed with that at all. Does it seem to take longer for the screen to wake up on the Lumia 920 now when you press the home button?

Yep, it sure does.

bitshifts says:

Me as well.  In fact, when i got an incomming call, I slied up and wasn't givan an answer or ignore button to hit, and couldn't answer the call.

Bluetooth still not working any better on 2009 Cadillac CTS

Just got my L920 and the updates went thru smooth as silk!

So does the Wifi always on setting have a negative impact on battery?

tebugg says:

yes it does. but if it's anything like my galaxy gs3, it's not enough of an impact to be noticable.

mrdeezus says:

Daniel, you can add that bluetooth auto reconnecting after initial pairing is fixed as well. ATT lumia 920...very happy :-)

crav4speed says:

This update rocks!! Agree with others that the screen is much crisper. The colors are definitely more vibrant. Also the whole OS is much snappier. Apps load alot quicker... the animations seem to be faster. Waht a huge improvement with the camera. I noticed that when you tap the screen to take a picture, the photo still gets blurred, but when you view it after, it's crisper. That leads me to believe it's the OIS that is making the pictures blurry and the software is sharpening them after. Overall very happy with the improvements.
Wonderful job Nokia and MS!!!

Eric Hon says:

when you say colors and screen are more vibrant, are you sure you're not speaking of the brightness setting set to high?  After the update, my brightness settings were reset to the automatic adjust setting, which caused my phone to be brighter and crisper, but after manually switching back to medium, still lloks the same to me.

On a link titled "Full Change Log" I get "Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone." COME ON! Where can I find a FULL change log....

afripino says:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that. We get 5 specific changes and 1 extremely vague one. It's like they ran out of time to type it out.

elpidiosimon says:

Updated my 920 on att buy cannot find the option in ie to not download pictures automatically.

VineRider says:

Sam here. Anyone know where that setting is?

Does anybody know when Microsoft will fix that search button that each time open up the browser upon the currently used app instead of in-app search?

Memristor says:

That's by design, but I agree, a search button like on Windows 8 and RT would be much prefered.

subi says:

Downloading the update now for my 920!!

I have noticed during the last two weeks my battery life has increased to close to 2 days (everything on). Was there another earlier update on the battery?

Byrese says:

Does anybody know how to do the ignore message reply the article takes about? Is it a setting?

TheCat123 says:

...I have the same question...

Jason Schleh says:

You can access this in the phone settings.  Goto Setting>applications>phone.  Edit text replies.

stevethenerd says:

Don't really see any differences ???

stimshady says:

Does this new update bring gapless playback in the music app? Cant believe I'm STILL waiting for this.. It's my only gripe with WP8... (and 7.x)...

Hope they add a way to customize sounds like the SMS, Mail, etc...

inteller says:

"Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone."

seriously?  I could have told you that.  The whole purpose of change logs is to provide DETAIL.

TMavC5 says:

How do you setup answer automatically text reply on incoming call?

Byrese says:

@Jason..still Don't see it

Dark_Halmut says:

Terrible. When I turn on my camera now the screen is all green after the update. I switched to the front camera to check and that shows all screen too. Something is definitely botched with the latest Nokia drivers.

Dark_Halmut says:

Weird. I hard booted the phone and the camera is working again. Hope this doesnt keep happening.

supersoyary says:

Hallelujah! My Lumia 920 finally charges through my Sony head unit's USB port.

zazouboy says:

Hello Guys,
My HTC 8S had this OS version right from the start. I had to wait to get it, but I guess it was for the better :)
I own(ed) a Lumia 800, pretty happy with the 8S!

Have a wonderful Festive Season together with your loved ones !

bigdjunk says:

Let's hope I will be able to play my Cisco voice mails at work now. It still blows my mind that we cannot open those wav files when WP7 was able to... *sigh*

kingraven says:

So my 920 drops WiFi now almost every time I turn the screen off at work, however at home I left the phone on overnight to charge and the WiFi stayed connected all night.  Not sure what to make of this.  I enjoy some of the other fixes.  I would like to see Microsoft push out updates every couple of months to keep things moving in the right direction.

pratnala says:

When Apple introduced "text to reject", they touted it so much in the keynote. And Microsoft quietly slipped in an update without making much noise. Clever.

dexi says:

The update do not address the most important problems. One of them is problem with music on SD card. In the Music app, Music files from SD card have problem with playing, in the library they appear a couple of times, etc. THere is so many problems with the music app, that I am considering changing of the phone.

Pages