Windows

Steam's hardware stats show over 25 percent of its gamers use Windows 8/8.1

Microsoft makes it easier for Windows RT users to upgrade to Windows RT 8.1

Windows

Windows 8 and 8.1 still struggle to gain PC market share

Windows

Point of View announces three affordable Windows 8 tablets, available this summer

Official BlueFly app brings a boutique fashion experience to Windows Phone

Weather Hound updated with transparent Live Tile support

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Check out latest discoveries and more with the New Scientist magazine on Windows 8

Awesome Lock updated in preparation for the World Cup

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Zoho Books app makes its Windows 8.1 debut

Windows

Report claims Microsoft's desktop Start menu won't appear until Windows 9 in 2015

Windows

Windows will support Xbox One controller 'very soon'

Microsoft will carry on selling Windows 7 to the Chinese government

Flipkart adds new features and improvements to their Windows Phone app

Chinese government gives Windows 8 the cold shoulder

Microsoft software developer job posting hints at Cortana on Windows

Bollywood entertainment portal, Koimoi, launches official Windows Phone 8 app

Middle East's leading newspaper, Khaleej Times, arrives on Windows Phone

CNET comes to Windows Phone with all its Tech-Savviness

Tablets

Sony's convertible Windows 8 laptop, the VAIO Flip 13

Tonido released for Windows Phone 8 for remote access to your home computer

VLC for Windows 8, Win Phone 8 Kickstarter hits fundraising target

VLC Surface RT

The VLC team has announced on its Kicstarter project page that it has accumulated over £40,000. This was the set target for further Windows 8 / RT and Windows Phone 8 development to take place, as well as consumers being able to download VLC from the Windows Store sooner. It's an achievement that illustrates the strong backing the free media player has.

But the fundraising hasn't halted however. The team will use all excess funds above and beyond the £40k to speed up the development process to bring the app to Windows Phone 8, since it's stated the extra capital will enable the team to parallelise the workload of the ports to Windows 8 / RT and Windows Phone 8.

As well as a huge thank you for the support displayed thus far by the community, the VLC team revealed some additional features that will be worked on full-time after the initial release is complete:

• Camera Input Support enables users to record anything connected cameras can see and stream it live
  • DLNA client and server integration for playback of media stored on DLNA capable servers on your Windows RT tablet or Windows Phone. Stream everything VLC can play on your tablet or Windows 8 PC to your DLNA capable devices (Xbox, etc.)
  • Integration with locally attached devices for media playback and synchronisation
  • Smartglass support

The team has previously kept everyone who has been following the Kickstarter project up-to-date with some concept screenshots of how the finished product could look like. We were impressed by what the team had come up with and VLC is an extremely popular media player, one which we feel would do well on the Microsoft Store (as well as Windows Phone!).

So while a VLC app for Windows 8 / RT and Windows Phone 8 isn't going to be released tomorrow, it's great to relay the announcement that the project has reached its fundraising target and development will kick off in the new year. 2013 is going to be big, we can feel it in the bones.

Source: Kickstarter

Comments

aln12483 says:

Now that is the BEST damn(sorry for my language) Christmas present/news so far!  Keep it up y'all!!!!!

schlubadub says:

"Damn" is a swear word??

ladydias says:

In some parts of the world, yes. America included.

Hisham Ahmed says:

Not in India.Even my mom uses it.

DavidLevi30 says:

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online(Click on menu Home)

schlubadub says:

I've always thought it was a good word for people who don't swear. I use it in the same way as "bloody". e.g. Where are my bloody keys? Where are my damn keys?

erzhik says:

Smartglass support..YES!
For a second there, I thought they wouldn't reach their target.

Agent-P says:

Yes! My donation helped! Can't wait to download this for both platforms. As an aside: the smartglass support will be awesome.

FergieMartin says:

schlubadub says:

It would be more impressive if you were sitting in front of a PC gaming rig, than iJunk :P

jlynnm350z says:

FergieMartin I make $560I.... for just sitting on the toilet and squatting out my turds that look like the new iMac, at home and I also am listening to music.

WinEXMan says:

Cool, VLC is very good on desktops

Tomasz S. says:

If that means being able to play and stream mkv files on WinRT and WP8 that will greatly help adoption and switching from android devices. If only Microsoft were smart enough to throw a bit of their huge pile of marketing money at it to help develop it even faster.

matthew50251 says:

It's a matter of principal that MSFT does not sponser developers. However, they are helping the VLC team via providing hardware and software support.

Tomasz S. says:

Well I know for a fact, that not only does Microsoft offer free support and software and licenses for ISVs in programs like BizSpark, but also they sometimes fund development if they like the idea.

AngryNil says:

BizSpark is a startup program, not a favouritism program.

Tomasz S. says:

I didn't say microsoft funds ISVs through the BizSpark program. Microsoft paying ISVs to write apps for WP7, Azure or Win8 are addidional initiatives, BizSpark and Partner Network members are cordially invited.

Jay Bennett says:

Tomasz there's a good paid app for WinRT now that can play mkv's... HD movie or something i can't remember off the top of my head but it should show up as one of the top paid apps :)

R0bR says:

Its MobileHD, it just had a recent update and now plays MKVs with DTS audio stream. Plus they added subtitle support. Little plain on the UI front but the fact it actually plays MKVs makes up for it.

Tomasz S. says:

Yeah, but people don't want to pay for something they always got for free up to Windows 7.

Tomasz S. says:

Last time I checked the lame Video app didn't support mkvs, let alone all the further stuff that comes with it: multiple audio tracks, subtitles etc. People also like to control the size and shape of the video, use keyboard shortcuts to control playback and playlists, adjust audio/video sync. MS video app won't support that ever.

Purge_GT says:

MS has already stated they've dropped licensing to bring down the cost of the Win8 OS - their video app is something that functions and has some nice features - but by no means did they aim to compete with products who's sole purpose is to provide those services.
It's the same reason a steel mfgr doesn't do welding - they don't want to compete with their clientelle. MS is providing a store - and app development isn't as key as having app availability.

Tomasz S. says:

I'm ok with dropping DVD and TV codecs from Windows 8. But Windows Media Player is still there, it stil supports DirectShow codecs, and after you install ffdshow it is actually usefull for movies.
Windows RT's Video app is a joke in comparison.

poddie says:

I don't think any version of Windows has ever supportted mkvs... why would they start now?  Granted, I sure wish they would... I use subtitles a lot and that is the only format that supports them properly for some reason.

I like to watch movies at night after the family has gone to bed and I need the subs to not boom them out of the house!

DieNadel says:

Wireless headset would be a good one for you.

SaucePolicy says:

I like the sound of DLNA support. I use VLC on my desktop and it's a very good piece of software.

camptime says:

looking foward to having VLC player on my windows 8 pc and 2 windows surface tablets.

This seems like a money grab. The codebase isn't going to magically be rewritten from what it is today. In fact, outside of integrating the Windows 8/WP8 services, the bulk of the development will be the front-end toolkit implementation. Maybe they'll hire a few extra developers to speed up their efforts, but a full fledged fundraising effort for a port whose codebase should be significantly similar to windows 7 doesn't sound quite right.

lossendae says:

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1061646928/vlc-for-the-new-windows-8...
Apppart from that, everybody knows for fact that developping fro windows 8 require huge rewriting since win32 is not being used.

Nabkawe5 says:

Although this partially true (the not using Win32 APIs part)
Metro UI = Modern UI , has amazing abilities to deal with old code .

money well spent. I look forward to the RT version.

Squadromeo says:

Cool, I'm glad I supported too!

BlobDude says:

Does it say anywhere on the page that this entails WP8 development, or are we just assuming based on the easy portability if W8 apps?

travisbrowny says:

"This evening, we crossed our goal of £40,000. Thanks again for your generous support and for allowing us to realize our project! Any further money coming in will greatly speed up the availability of our port of VLC to Windows Phone 8, since it will allow us to parallelize the workload of the ports to Windows 8 / RT and Phone."

jhoff80 says:

Clearly, they don't actually know how SmartGlass works, because unless they have a 360 application (which they don't), they can't have SmartGlass support.

The DLNA-based "Play To" function is not SmartGlass.  SmartGlass streams content directly from the internet to your 360, and the tablet/phone becomes a remote control.  Considering they have no 360 app (and most likely never will), that's not going to happen here.

PurpleOmen says:

Cant they just stream it to the built in video player??....

jhoff80 says:

That would be the DLNA Play To feature that I mentioned, which isn't related to SmartGlass at all.

ladydias says:

It's nice that you looked into your crystal ball and somehow were privy to every conversation between the VLC team and MS. Is it really so farfetched that there is eventually going to be more to Smartglass and that just maybe MS is going to add more features that apps can tap into? I don't know about you but I can't see MS not tapping into the potential to allow win 8 apps to connect to Smartglass at some point.

jhoff80 says:

There's no "connecting to SmartGlass"... You run the SmartGlass app on your tablet, which is a glorified remote control for the 360. Some 360 applications that have their own SmartGlass experiences within them will then trigger an HTML page to run inside that remote control interface to show more content there.

Unless Microsoft is fundamentally changing everything about how SmartGlass works, which they're not, the developers are not going to be able to use SmartGlass. You wouldn't want them to, either. What you really want to be able to do is play a video on your tablet, use the devices charm, and then send that to your 360 or DLNA compatible TV, which they mention elsewhere that they want to do (and other apps for Windows 8, such as PowerDVD Mobile already do). That's a great feature, but it's one that's entirely different from SmartGlass.

ladydias says:

I understand what you're saying but my question still stands, is it not possible that Microsoft might allow 3rd party applications to utilize Smartglass in a different way from what we've seen so far? Not arguing with you but genuinely curious about other possibilities since I feel the concept around Smartglass has the potential to spawn a lot more than what we've seen at the moment.

Tomasz S. says:

It's not about Microsoft allowing anything. It's about how SmartGlass works. Developers can't do what's technically impossible.

sajken says:

That is really good news!

Risvall says:

Why no "happy christmas" post by WP central:-(

schlubadub says:

Christmas is tomorrow (25th) :P It's only Christmas Eve now.

It's the other way around in most European countries. We celebrate December 24th (Eve) rather than Christmas Day. :)

mr toes says:

No we dont you insane person :), i havent heard of anyone celebrating on dec 24th instead of Christmas day.

We eat Christmas dinner, open presents and spend time with family and friends on Christmas Eve, in Scandinavia. :)

Christmas Day is for relaxing, and young people also often go out partying this day in Sweden.

weis says:

Of course we in Europe celebrate Christmas Day too but isn't Christmas Eve more important than Christmas Day when we gether to eat Christmas Dinner? Or do people in other place eat Christmas Dinner in Christmas Day? :confused:
Edit and add:
Christmas Eve is the fun part of the Christmas: you eat a big dinner and get your presents and play with them till the late of the night; Christmas Day is boring day: you're tired and you have that indigestion from last evening's big dinner to nurse, and you don't get Christmas Presents for the next 364 days...

MikeTheYid says:

Here you might go clubbing on 24th and spend time with friends but 25th is the day you open presents, eat a huge meal and relax. Then there is boxing day the 26th a day for watching sport, films and chilling.

schlubadub says:

In Australia, and probably the US & UK, we don't do anything on Christmas Eve. It's a normal day really. Traditionally presents are opened on Christmas morning and a big Christmas lunch or dinner with the family is later that day. Australians often go to the beach & have BBQ's because it's usually hot (39 degrees for me in Perth). It's very common to eat a lot of seafood & cold meats.
Also lot of people meet up with their extended families on Boxing Day as it's a public holiday, but Christmas Eve isn't.

mr toes says:

Yes nothing really is done on xmas eve in the uk, all on xmas day.

Mafiatounes says:

Awesome can not wait to have this on WP8.

EXkurogane says:

Awesome. I'd prefer KMPlayer but VLC is fine too, i want windows RT and Phone to be able to play a wide range of codecs, including 10-bit color MKVs, soft subs rendering, and FLAC audio files.

ZX9 says:

That's the truly nice thing about this for me. It's not about playing anything specific, but having the versatility to play whatever I need is very useful.

clay113 says:

I too wish I could play flac on WP8.

weis says:

double posted...

JimmyRespawn says:

Smartglass? Is Microsoft opent the API.

jjmurphy says:

I get the feeling we will see one release for wp8, they they'll announce it isn't worth continuing sadly.

clay113 says:

I only gave about 20 bucks but I feel happy others gave more. I'm a fan of VLC.

morpheus1982 says:

I am already using VLC on windows 8. So this will "only" benefit the RT side of things. Only i guess having on phone will be cool.

sheldork says:

Am not able to tell when it'll roll out, yes... I know sooner than it could have with the funding, but a ballpark would help, can't wait to watch files with srt support (that's included, right?) on my Lumia 820