Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Xbox

Microsoft releases preview app for Xbox One to help shape future updates

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Lumia 1320, 630 availability expand to Argos Ireland

Nokia Ireland confirms Lumia 930 launch on July 3

Windows Phones

Nokia Lumia 635 going on sale in Singapore on Saturday

Official Flipkart Windows Phone app updated, adds push notifications and more

Screenshots courtesy of warrentaye and david90531

Nokia updates Accessories Settings, adds new lockscreen design

The Nokia Accessories Setting lets you associate apps with certain Nokia Windows Phone accessories such as Nokia's wireless charging stand. Well... Nokia has updated the Accessories Setting and while there's no change log, based on the conversation going on in the Windows Phone Central Forums, it looks as though a new lockscreen design has been added to the mix.

The new version 1.0.3 has a new lockscreen that will appear when docked to the wireless stand that displays the calendar and weather. According to Forums Member warrentaye the screensaver displays the time, weather and calendar information with the layout shifting occasionally.

Most updates of this nature rarely come with a change log so if you see anything else that is new with the Nokia Accessories Setting, feel free to share in the comments or over in this WPCentral.com Forums discussion.

Thanks, everyone, for the tip!

Comments

aeronaught says:

I'm all for minimalism, but I hope it still displays your background image when plugged in the stand.  That black background makes it look really bare.

chsoriano says:

I see where you're coming from but I actually prefer the plain black, only because I will use this next to my bed in my wireless charging stand... And using a background would just make the display brighter and I would not be able to sleep with that much light in the room. Hopefully this isn't too bright either (I'm a pitch black sleeper)

David Ray says:

Plus, I think the black puts more emphasis on what's being displayed.

tissotti says:

As i understood this ins't lockscreen, but function you get when you put your phone on Nokia stand. You don't want pic burning your screen on night, especially on AMOLED screens where black screens don't use energy on AMOLED screens

That's why the elements are also moving on he screen. This is actully something Nokia has had on symbian for 6 years.

Huime says:

dude this is IPS LCD...

tissotti says:

Yes, and?
I know that perfectly well.

glass says:

Screen burn isn't an issue on LCD.

AngryNil says:

Go ahead and leave the same screen showing for a day or two on your phone and tell me there's no issue.

LCDs suffer from image persistence, which is supposedly temporary but never went away on my previous LCD HTC.

WixosTrix says:

dude, Nokia makes other phones too. The 820/822 which both have optional wireless charging covers have AMOLED displays.

ymala1 says:

Uh, the Lumia 820 is AMOLED. The black is great for that, not just for saving energy, but because the blacks are truly that, black. This wouldn't be anymore annoying than a bedside digital clock.

DaSchnee says:

Microsoft really needs to implement a "check for updates"-button. It is so annoying to wait till the phone finally shows the updates on its own

darais99 says:

There is a check for updates it is in the settings and it says phone update

DaSchnee says:

I'm talking about app updates, Sir

albertph says:

It's the app's responsibility, not Microsoft's...

DaSchnee says:

seriously? How is it the apps responsibility when you can't check for updates in the store manually?

Dodge99X says:

There is one. Just go to the update section in your settings.
As for apps (like this because it's coming from the WP marketplace) it's usually pretty fast, but you can search for an app and update manually from the marketplace if you know there's an update for it.
Not sure if this update for "accessories" is searchable though :/
So I guess you're right lol

5tephen says:

He means app updates not system ones

vemulasri says:

+1. Now i have to wait for this to appear on my update list :(

Aldoron says:

First world problems? We are getting updates isn't that good enough ;)

expectafight says:

If your in a locale that has the update pushed out already, enter the marketplace, do one search, keep hitting back till you get the start screen.  Then enter the marketplace again.  If you didn't see the update at the bottom, restart the phone.  Been doing this since the 7008 WP7 days.  You have to do it this way because the app isn't listed in the marketplace.   The alternate way of just going to the app listing will have an update button next to share if the update is ready for you.

Jay Bennett says:

But if they did that then you wouldn't have the pleasure of using the Windows Phone Central app to directly retrieve updates would you? :D

DaSchnee says:

That's true and I'm really greatful for this feature in your app but there is no link for those Nokia settings updates(most of the time anyway):(
Maybe it's just me but this button can't be that difficult to pull off and it is such a obvious thing to do. It existed on every phone with an application store I ever had

ScubaDog says:

There IS one.  Go into Settings, then Phone Update, then tap "check for updates".

11B1P says:

that is check for updates to your phone os, not app updates

Hmm... the time looks a little bit confusing, though

the_tyrant says:

Great! This is one of the most loved features from Symbian. Too bad it can't just always display the tin on the lock screen, but that us probably because the Lumia 920 doesn't use amoled

Tomasz S. says:

Doesn't dipslay weather on my Phone. Does it require the Nokia Weather app to be installed or something?
Anyway, you can change the brightness of the screensaver by swiping your finger up and down - that's cool.

sundawg#WP says:

Fyi. you can swipe up and down anywhere on the screen when this app is running to adjust the brightness.

dakranii says:

Are there any non-920 Nokias that have the Accessories option in the settings menu? I have an 822 and don't have Accessories. I've been working with Nokia support to solve it, but no solution yet. Anyone?

Del1701 says:

Yep, I have an 820 which has accessories in the settings.
And the update hasn't come through yet.

stevethenerd says:

Tap on download app in this app, if it applies to you it'll show update on the store page...

Steephill says:

Just checked and apparently I don't have it... Weird. I have an 822 as well.

Tomasz S. says:

And do you have an accessory? I think this got installed on my 820 after I paired it with the charging stand.

Del1701 says:

The only accessory I have is the qi charging mat.

See further below. Supported accessories have to have NFC.

Del1701 says:

Well I just got the update through, can't use it though because I don't use NFC.

The calendar display only shows events from my outlook.com account, not my Exchange account. I keep my work and personal calendars separate, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It should show the next calendar event, not just the next calendar event from my outlook.com calendar. Love the idea, Nokia, but -1 for execution.

vemulasri says:

Considering this is the first implementation and the way Nokia does things I would say there should be another update shortly with most of the feedback.  Seems like they have not even mentioned it on twitter usually they are pretty good at announcing this kind of stuff.
By the way is there anyway we can force this udpate??

slepr says:

I checked for updates as well and none were available. When I click on accessories it says there are no Nokia supported accessories associated with my phone even though I charge it every night on the wireless charger. So I put it on the charger and checked the accessories again and still said the same thing. Not sure how to make my 920 recognize the charging pad under accessories. Charging pad is the DT-900 from Nokia

Tomasz S. says:

DT-900 is not NFC enabled. You need a DT-910 stand or the JBL power up speaker for this stuff to work.

Supported accessories have to have NFC. The charging stand does, but not the charging pad.

hasasimo says:

Well I have the stand, NFC is on, and it's still not working for me even though I updated Accessories last night. Something is wrong.

Tomasz S. says:

And did you turn on "tap & send" in your phone's settings?

hasasimo says:

Yes of course, that's the first thing I did. Then while the phone is on the charging stand I navigate to Settings > Accessories and nothing even shows up in the list.

jarettp says:

You have to tap your phone on the base of the stand first. Where the NFC logo is.

vemulasri says:

Does anyone have a direct link for accessories? Here is the one for audio

nwildcat says:

I hope people pay attention to the link posted because it worked! Thanks so much for posting it. I have a 822 as well and for whatever reason, it's clear that Nokia or Verizon forgot to add in this accessories setting. Searching on the app store turns nothing up either on a computer or on your phone. I clicked on this link on my phone, was able to see it was a Nokia app and download it to my phone. First it looks like any other app download, but then it disappears from the app list after downloading and you will see it in your setting menu.

aced411 says:

YI wasn't going to get the stand, but with this cool feature I'm TOTALLY getting the stand!

hink3000 says:

I hope this has the ability to set alarms. I use my phone as a bedside alarm clock and have an app for it currently. An alarm feature would be nice.

Residing says:

Oh how I wish that, at some point, Nokia will be able to implement the 'Always On' feature on their Lumia devices, or even the Nokia Sleeping Sreen.  Such a bonus having that on my N8.  I'm still adjusting to not being able to see, at a glance, the current time, date, and any notifications on my lockscreen for the Lumia 900 - sadly, I have to press the lock/power button on my Lumia in order to get this information :(

Oh well...still love my Lumia :)

rmichael75 says:

I think that is OS functionaality. But never the less, you should send email to nokia or Elop. That will be a huge differentiator and i think nokia can change OS.

hahabowen says:

I have upgraded it but dunno how to get it to work

hahabowen says:

Is there anything you need to do under setting?

hasasimo says:

Apparently it's just not working for some people. I have NFC set to on and the phone on the charging stand and it's not even showing up under Accessories.

poddie says:

Hmmm... looks pretty ugly. Would rather just have the usual lock screen. Hate the way the time is displayed. Yuck.

ggonzalez777 says:

I hope they implement a "night mode", red colored lettering for better night viewing. White lights up the bedroom even when dimmed.

khatta says:

It would be great if Nokia/MS can give another option to turn this into an exhibition mode screen, like the one on Palms.

cedarlog says:

this looks really ugly and random =/

Daniel_H_UK says:

I know its not relevent but does anyone have the link to Network + as i never got the update when it was released to the marketplace

vemulasri says:

Here you go.  Keep in mind this is for USA i do not know if it works for other countries.

Daniel_H_UK says:

It Worked perfectly Thanks :)

larryandsue says:

Any advice? we have the Nokia 822 from Verizon. just recived the wireless charger stand DT-910 but does not seem to be charging, when i pair the nfc on the stand with the phone it says i need an app for this, then says there is no app at the store. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tomasz S. says:

Open the link to Accessories app on your phone. The one brought up two posts earlier.

Sicarius123 says:

God damnit. I just bought two Nokia QI charging pads because I had no need for any NFC tag function in the bedroom. Then Nokia go ahead and release this days later!

hasasimo says:

Not even working for me. Got the update yesterday. I have a Lumia 920, NFC on, using it on a Nokia wireless charging stand. No dice.

Did you go to Settings, then Accessories, then Charging Stand and set the NFC option while the 920 is on the stand? It's the very first option, "Weather & Calendar".

hasasimo says:

Yup, it doesn't even show up in Accessories. In fact, nothing does. I went there while the phone was on the charging stand and NFC on.

wvanellis says:

The "accessories" link on my phone (920-BUILD) never worked. I assumed it wasn't fully functional. When I click on it, it stays in the "Loading" phase indefinately. A few times it will crash and force my phone to reboot. Nonetheless, it has NEVER loaded.

troygates says:

Same thing for me. Always stuck on loading even when on my charging stand.

wvanellis says:

In my "extras + info" link, I show that I have version 1.0.3.0, but it still never loads. Do you have the same version?

Terence_27 says:

This is Nokia Sleeping Screen For those who haven’t
used a S^3 device or an N9, when the
device is in standby mode (screen locked)
it goes to a low brightness mode
showing the time and date, plus some
minor details such as alarms or calendar
events.

Residing says:

Not exactly...Nokia Sleeping Screen doesn't require NFC and/or docks...it's just an app, that can be used on the phone like a screen saver, without being tethered to a dock.

Hopefully, this app for WP is a test bed for the actual Sleeping Screen app or at least, the Always On functionality used in their Symbian devices.

plonkynz says:

For those of us with the regular wireless charging pad (not the upright 'stand' version), is there a way for us to use a blank NFC sticker and load it with a code that this app will detect, so we can achieve the same functionality?

Dagis says:

There migth be. The app NFC interactor has the Nokia Accessories app in its list of preconfigured launcable apps. I my self have the DT 910 and I can choose the Clock + Weather (or whatever it is called) app from within the Nokia Accessories app. Meaning that I can program NFC tags to launch the same app as the stand. The question is whether or not the app will be available on a phone thats never been connected to the DT 910. You could download the free trial of NFC interactor and give it a try.