Nokia Pulse Beta updated: Windows Phone gets a look in

Nokia Pulse Beta – Now works with Windows Phone 8

Nokia have had this one baking in the labs for some time but there still seems no sign that it’s about to leave beta and be made publicly available to all. The app and accompanying service bills itself as “Messaging, now with location”.

Nokia Pulse and its documentation do not seem to have been updated with any changes but essentially it looks as though the bump was to bring it to Windows Phone, as was previously reported.

Nokia Pulse Beta – Now works with Windows Phone 8

Here is what the folks at Nokia have to say about the app and its capabilities

Nokia Pulse is smarter messaging, letting you easily send private messages that are automatically tagged with your current location, so syncing up or letting people know where you are is as easy as a few taps. Or you can suggest a place to meet up, with rich information like reviews and directions contained in the message.

Whether you’re making plans, changing plans, or on your way, a single Pulse message gets everyone on the same page. Key features:* Share your location and send messages to your friends and family, no matter what phone they use, with Windows Phone or the mobile web.*

Pulse automatically adds your current location to each message you send.  Suggest a place for your next gathering or simply say “I’m here,” and Pulse adds the rest.* Suggest a place to meet and share rich details that everyone can access with a tap—ratings & reviews, map, directions, and more—without ever leaving the app, thanks to Nokia Maps integration.* Create live tiles for the Pulse app, a specific conversation, or even the Compose message screen.

The Pulse live tile notifies you of any new messages while the conversation live tile tells you of a new message for that conversation.* Send your message to only the people you choose—no complicated privacy settings needed. * Start entering a friend’s email address, and we will auto-fill it if it’s already in your contact list.* Share your Pulse message to Facebook or Twitter when you want to let more friends know where you are.

It’s hard to know what to say about Pulse, we have so many ways of meeting and using instant messaging we don’t quite know how to fit this one in. For apps and services like this to be more useful we feel the need to integrate them into the messaging hub is needed. We could say the same thing for other messaging services too. Still, that doesn’t mean its not interesting or worthy of your experimental attentions.

Still if you want to have a go and give Nokia your valuable feedback you can grab the app from the Windows Phone Store here or scan the QR code below.

Source: SymbianTweet

QR: Nokia Pulse Beta

Comments

Iskassasya says:

Is anyone using this?

I am, put since so few of my friends are using it, I mostly interact with a group of Nokia fans from around the world. Of limited use to me.

Prodigy11 says:

Pulse has a big potential. I like it.

JammyGitz says:

I don't know anyone else who has a Nokia. So pretty useless?

WinFan1 says:

I have a Nokia. :) and they said communication no matter what device. Possible cross platform?

hary536 says:

Yes, it works on iphone through Safari.

futurix says:

“Messaging, no with location”
Huh?

Munkeyphyst says:

Should read, now with location

Prodigy11 says:

Laughed the same. "Now with location" sounds more like it.

ZuNuKoo says:

So many articles written, bound to mess up sometimes. I found it funny also.

robert brand says:

Good catch, hectic here today, corrected! Thanks guys

argenys says:

I appreciate the effort put in by Nokia, and understand why it was originally developed. But this is pointless for WP8 users, only takes two taps from the messaging screen(attach;location). I guess enjoy for the still majority of the user base which is on WP7.

Residing says:

Nokia Pulse was initially developed for WP7.5 devices to use, so it's been it the works for a while.  No need for them to ditch it at this point, even given the efficiencies of WP8.

Liron Markus says:

With Nokia Pulse you can easy make group planning: Pulse makes it easy to make plans with your friends, whether it’s 1, 2, or 22 people, within a single conversation.  All suggestions and responses are kept within the same thread so that anyone can see the latest plans and know exactly where to go.  By contrast, SMS enables a conversation with 1 person, but if you send a message to 2 or more other people, your original conversation splits into separate threads with each response.
Liron Markus
Product Manager
Pulse

slavrenz says:

The update wasn't to make it Windows Phone compatible, because I've had this installed on my Lumia 920 for several months now, and it has run without issue.

Yeah, I had it on my 900 a while ago. Never put it on my 920. I tried to use it with my girlfriend, but there was almost no point for me.

TJWINS says:

Unless you are ok with your spouse or significant other knowing where you are "at all times" this is not a good idea and I will not be using it. I like a little privacy.

Hiiiiiiiii says:

Meet me in the kitchen, John

why would I be concerned about my spouse knowing where I am all the time?

TJWINS says:

Because I don't want a GPS unit attached to me for all people to see. This app is a stupid idea.

Residing says:

Exactly!  It's your spouse - shouldn't be any secrets, and it's good to know where each of you are, especially in case of an emergency.

tibere86 says:

Quit smothering me!

hary536 says:

Looks like, whoever is complaining here hasn't used the app.
It doesn't share your location by default atleast not when used on iphone via their mobile website.

TJWINS says:

The article states that the message is "automatically tagged with your current location". To me that is like everybody having a GPS tagged to me. I'm not happy about that and therefore will not use it. I used to own a car dealership and we installed GPS units on financed vehicles to customers with bad credit and the customers were not happy with it. So why would anybody want to be tracked by choice? No thank you.

Nik Rolls says:

It's not a constant share, it only shares your location at the time you send a message. If you are really so paranoid about having your location tracked, here's a solution for you: Don't Use It!!!1

Rioghalmo says:

You can choose to not share your location

gundam001 says:

Though have not used it personally, but it appears to me like this is something worth a try. - Aldo Todini