The many colors of the Huawei Ascend W1 and more on that 6.1 inch Windows Phone

Here at CES 2013, Windows Phone news is few and far between (though no worries, we have some stories coming up in the next day or two). We’ve already seen quite a bit of the Huawei Ascend W1 which was informally announced here at the convention.

Today we got a chance to play with some of the other colors besides black for the entry-level phone. The W1, following Nokia and HTC, comes in White, Black (soft-touch), Cyan and Red and we have to admit the color scheme continues to work with those themes on board (there is a “dreamy blue” custom Accent color as well).

Though the 4” device with 1.2Ghz dual core CPUs won’t be for everyone it’s not a bad low-end phone at all (though Windows Phone 8 stutters a tad with 512MB of RAM).

In speaking with Huawei over some drinks last night we did learn about that 6.1” device that they are reportedly working on. It’s not a 100% go yet as they want to test the market with the Android version first to see if people even want such a massive phone. Assuming it sells well though you can indeed expect Huawei to make a version with our favorite OS.

Also, we learned the W1 should be coming to the US in Q2. Though we don’t have specific carriers to mention there’s a good chance we’ll see it on some MVNOs and regional carriers as a cheap alternative to some of those less-than-stellar Android devices that we often find.

Although pre-paid phones are not a very sexy discussion for mobile technology it’s an important area that Windows Phone needs to make a dent in because right now, Android dominates that area of the market.

Comments

Jey Si says:

Nice looking phone. But with just a 4GB internal storage, its a NO for me. I've learned from 8S.

Boris Gong says:

It supports SD Card. Wasn't pics taking up most of the space?

pulkit10 says:

The problem seems to be that the "other" stuff is taking up way too much space inside the internal memory (close to 1 GB) in many cases. That's not exactly great when you only had some 3.2 GB to begin with...install some apps on there and people are starting to see a "space low" message already.

Looks like a huge oversight to me and that Microsoft needs to make 8 GB the bare minimum. This stuff reminds me of the HTC Desire fiasco - yeah, you can put stuff on the SD card but it is severely limiting if you only have 37 MB of internal storage.

Jey Si says:

Yes very useful for music+videos and photos. Apps and games still needs to be installed in phone's memory.

pierrerv says:

pics, music and apps. The 8GB on the 810 is not even enough. I bought it for my lady and now patiently waiting on some other Nokia device to hit TMo

isi mcf says:

I'm still boggled about the micro USB not be standard centered.

tbonenga says:

Please bring the 6.1 Dream Phone to W8.

the phone looks really cheap...

Sharpmango says:

Because it is cheap

Sharpmango says:

The 6.1 would prob work better on wp8.. I might genuinely consider that as a tablet if they designed it right

ade333 says:

You would hope that MS would give such a large display some extra love so that it could do more with the real estate.

Kevin Joel says:

6.1 Would be good, I been waiting one for ever. Still holding onto my Dell Venue Pro, till a good replacement comes up. Please Samsung to give some love!!!

You on T-Mobile or ATT or different?

NIST says:

DVP on T-Mo here. Waiting for something nice to hit. Or maybe just hold out for the Surface phone.

Why would they wait to sell a 6.1" @windowsphone based on how well the 6.1" android sells?  They would have no high end competition on WP8! They could swoop in and steal the show if they made a quality device!

Metro needs it for the people wanting a wp8 on a pay as u go phone

stephen_az says:

Obviously the 6.1 in phone is an Android device. Too bad people do not realize when when someone is doing the equivalent of patting them on the head to make them feel better when it comes to any other platform.

brmiller1976 says:

Huawei's president specifically said they have plans for a WP edition of the same phone... He called it out in his press conference earlier this week.

phatboy66 says:

6.1" screen is way too big man common, 5.5" max just like the Galaxy Note 2 would be nice.

brmiller1976 says:

Watch this company. They are going places in the US mobile market.

cedarlog says:

6.1 inch would be ultimate for browsing playing games watching movies

I like the "brown" one its actually very nice! I might buy this one and put the rest of my money towards app purchases and a microSD card!

Coreldan says:

6,1" would be way too big as a mobile phone to me. I rather just use a 10" tablet at that point instead of trying to get the best of both worlds but really only getting the worst of both worlds :P

cedarlog says:

it looks nice but that circle around the back camera makes me feel like it has a missing part