MobiRock iLuv Speaker

Hands on and wires off with the MobiRock Qi-enabled wireless speaker

If you have a Lumia 920 or a Verizon branded HTC 8X, you’ll want to check out the MobiRock speaker just announced this week at CES 2013. Since it comes equipped with Qi wireless charging, NFC, Bluetooth and more it should appeal to music lovers and anyone who suffers from wirephobia.

You’ve seen our impressions of the JBL PowerUp speaker a few weeks back, a solic offering that I myself use, but it does have a few quibbles that seem to be addressed by the MobiRock. The biggest complaint we’ve seen around the web for the JBL PowerUp (besides the price) is the position of the phone when charging. Putting the phone on top of the speaker makes it hard to switch music or interact with the phone while it’s charging.

MobiRock iLuv for Qi devices

The MobiRock addresses that complaint since the phone goes onto a stand in an upright portrait position. Compared to the JBL speaker, the MobiRock is a lot bigger and has a premium feel. From what we could gather in the noisy halls of CES the MobiRock did have better sound. Here are some highlights of the MobiRock and a video of it.

• Play and charge wirelessly
  • Wireless streaming via Bluetooth
  • Easy pairing via NFC
  • Wireless charging pad for Qi-enabled devices
  • 1A USB-A charging port for non-Qi devices
  • Power/Play/Pause/Track/Volume controls
  • Aux-in for other devices
  • Premium and unique design treatments

Now, the biggest question you’re asking at this point is price and availability. Unfortunately we were only able to get half an answer from their PR folks. The price is yet to be determined and available in Quarter 2 of 2013. So if you were hoping to get a speaker that packs Qi, NFC, and Bluetooth fairly soon – you might be better off with the JBL speaker.

(I’m just going to apologize in advance for Dan’s music being so loud in the video. Dan talks loud, so it is a testament to these speakers what they can do if they over power his voice)

Comments

chsoriano says:

Should have used a Lumia 920 to record the video, haha (kidding). I hope these speakers aren't ridiculously expensive like all the others :/

cdbstl76 says:

I don't like the "I" name, but love the look and function. If it sounds great, I will definitely pick one up!!!!

Sam Sabri says:

Name aside, it's a kick ass system. I'm going to snag one when it goes on sale.

Rockartisten says:

They want the apple folks to buy it when Apple releases the iPhone 6.

Iskassasya says:

What about Lumia 820? It has same Bluetooth and Wireless charging ability?

WinFan1 says:

Yeah with the wireless charging shells

I bet its cool, but I just really love my cyan powerup speakers. And are these the same quality as iHome (not that it is bad or anything)?

Sam Sabri says:

Haven't used iHome so I can't comment to their differences.

NIST says:

Cool. I'm sure we'll see this in the next Droid commercial, while we're still pushing kids corner.

Beezie84 says:

What about a Lumia 810?

EBynum says:

I hope you guys do a full review when this becomes available!
Did you think the sound quality was a lot better than the JBL PowerUp? I just ordered a PowerUp, and now I'm wondering if I should return it and wait for one of these. Then again, I'm not a very patient person, so maybe I'll just end up with both.

Sam Sabri says:

You bet your ass we'll do a full review. But of course - not until Q2 of this year.

At first, I was like "semms cool." Then, I was like "it's called 'iLuv?' I'll pass."

I try my best to never buy anything called "iANYTHING," and I get at least mildly irritated whenever I see the naming scheme, both because I don't like Apple and because people are being unoriginal and stealing the naming scheme from Apple (though I hate Apple, I don't think it's OK to steal from them).

iosub says:

Hi

I have the jbl power but there is a big issue for me when I connect to this devices using Bluetooth on my Nokia 920, the audio equalizer of the Nokia does not turn on for Bt connections.. So in order to get the best sound quality I have to use the aux cable.. Too bas

DaSchnee says:

Daniel, no wireless charging car mount in sight so far?

sibrecat says:

This will be mega expensive :(

andrewkeith5 says:

I love it, but there's no way I'm going to buy one if it's more than £150. Even that is a LOT to spend on a speaker.

ajscalingi says:

Just a heads up everyone: on the company's webiste it says that the price will be $250.