Looking for a bargain? Grab the Lumia 930 on EE for just £350

North Eurotunnel now has Vodafone and EE service

EE hits 200th town milestone in UK 4G rollout

U.K. carrier EE raising prices slightly on May 28

Three UK announces 'Three Rescue' worry free phone insurance

EE unveils more affordable 4G plans for the UK

Nokia Lumia 1320 announced for the UK; available from February 24

EE launches ticket service to provide discounted access to music, comedy, family friendly and other attractions

Games

Miniclip's Hot Rod Racers speeds onto Nokia Windows Phones

EE and Three to invest £1 billion in 4G UK network infrastructure and share upgrade costs

Lumia Black now available on EE for the Lumia 920

WPCentral News

Owned a Nokia Lumia 920 since the beginning? Tell us how it’s holding up

Manage your Three UK account with the new official Windows Phone app

We take a look at 4G LTE on Three UK, comparing speeds against current gen

EE to introduce 4G in the Channel Tunnel to help keep you connected

UK network EE doubled its expected 4G customer base in 2013

Indian airline, SpiceJet launches official mobile app as a Windows Phone exclusive

Exclusivity deal ends: Three show off Nokia Lumia 920

Considered by many to be the Windows Phone 8 device to get, the Lumia 920 has unfortunately been locked to a single network here in the UK. That’s all about to end and to celebrate the guys at Three UK have released their first video to introduce the device to their customers.

Since the launch of Windows Phone 8, Three has been carrying only the HTC 8X. To expand that range Three is going to add not only the 920 but the eagerly awaited Lumia 620 too.

Exclusivity deal ends: Three show off Nokia Lumia 920
If you love something - set it Three!

During the video Brendan is quick to point out the Lumia 920 has already clocked up  twelve awards to its name and runs us through some of its standout features. Some of those include the built in wireless charging capability, screen display and high capacity battery. The Lumia 920 has an amazing camera and it’s good to see that Three are keen to show that off to in the first look video.

There are many folks who have been incredibly frustrated by the exclusivity deal on the Lumia 920 here in the UK. Whilst folks in the US are used to this kind of deal it has proved disconcerting for many who value our competitive mobile market. By adding the Lumia 920 to their current line up thy will have the two best devices available running Windows Phone 8.

The UK network has built a solid reputation for providing rapid data speeds and good value for money. They will also be adding the budget friendly Lumia 620 to their range which should help bring Windows Phone 8 to lower cost price plans and even pay as you go. With sales of Lumia devices so strong over the festive period we wonder how many more Nokia would have shifted with Three on-board from the get go?

The devices are said to be coming to stores in February but in the meantime you can register your interest on the Coming Soon page

You can read more about if from their blog post here

Comments

That Video does absolutely no Justice to the phone.

Racxie says:

I know for a fact they would have shifted more because I know some people who wanted the Lumia 920 but didn't want to switch from so ended up getting other phones instead.

Cellus13 says:

Good things come to those who wait.

conair346 says:

Better things come to companies who don't shaft their prospective customers.

mister2d says:

Doesn't seem like anybody got shafted here.

poddie says:

What people need to remember to factor in is the subsidies provided by AT&T... this would NOT have been a $100 phone with free charge plate at launch if it was not exclusive. So did Att sell enough additional units because of the price to make up for lost sales at other carriers? Nokia probably has a good handle on that and they keep giving the exclusives so...

jabtano says:

Just think if that devices was not locked on one carrier in the UK and One in the states how many more people would have bought them and be using WP8 right now? I would think a lot more than the total numbers of sales for the L920 currently.

Don't forget Canada... Rogers is a joke outside of Toronto. Not to mention it's still only in black.

thegooner says:

Apparently due to lower manufacturing volumes the devices were mostly sold out, so it's not as simple as saying sales would have increased significantly with more carriers onboard, as there would still only be X number of devices to sell

hwangeruk says:

What do you mean ^this?
Nokia should get their production ramped up. FFS. No excsuses I am afraid for me.
If the UK carriers don't get official stock, and in the colours we want - it will be MWC and new phones will be announced.
What about a cheaper iPhone? New phones we don't know about. Blackberry 10 might be excellent.
I might get  BB10 in that case, but I _WOULD_ have been locked into Nokia / Windows Phone for another 18 months had they had a 920 available.
So no, _NOT THIS_ screw ^ this and Nokia should darn well get these devices in people hands. Or they will fail to their competitors and I won't have sympathy for them - as this is just getting production right and they announced this darn device LAST SEPTEMBER!!!!

robert brand says:

I’m really glad to see the exclusive deal ending. Three offer far better value than EE and think that the cope for sales could have been even higher had all operators had a launch. Still it is now coming out of that phase and people will now have more choice. All good.

hwangeruk says:

>and think that the cope for sales could have been even higher had all operators had a launch.
ABsoutely - that's not even a "think" that is a "guaranteed" as I Would have had a Lumia in November.
3 months on, and I still can't get a White 920 on my preferred carrier.
Idiots. Total idiots. Its not like they have a broad range either. They need to speed up. Elop needs to kick some more buttsky.

JacksonSQD says:

What the hell.
I was so excited to see this article, but then saw it was for UK and not Australia. :(
Oh well, I might wait a little longer, otherwise I'll probably buy a 920 outright.

Gmotagi says:

As one of our colonies you should be allowed them to.

reb31 says:

Anyone know when 920 will be available through Vodafone?

mprice86 says:

End of the month.

hwangeruk says:

I rang today, they told me end or maybe middle of Feb.
I also suspcet they will only have Red or Black. So frustrating.
(Bloke even had the cheek to tell me to sit on my hands till then!)

gavhamer says:

Sounds a lot like the exclusivity ends at the end of January, not now.  Somewhat misleading until the final paragraph.

natchogrande says:

the folks in store at carphone warehouse said they heard a whisper that they were getting the 920 at the very end of the month at the 'change over'... whatever that means... couldnt get them to say any more... BUT if CW get it then it should be a totally unlocked phone.  Here's hoping anyway!

Shoulders says:

Though I haven't tested mine as I've only got the one micro SIM, I'm pretty sure the one I got from Phones4U (on Orange) is unlocked.

sibrecat says:

no it isnt believe me, i nearly bought a sim free 920 from phones4u till i tested it

UltimateKGB says:

Id change from t-mobile for a Cyan one, have tweeted Nokia to see if they are coming to the UK but not had an answer

hink3000 says:

I just bought a wireless charging shell from t-mo here in charlotte, NC. If you get the cyan wireless shell you will have the cyan phone. Changes the whole color. Only the screen shows.

Nickkk101 says:

How competitive are the 3 data plans going to be I wonder...?? I'm currently with EE on the 920.

I pay £25 a month with them. One month rolling SIM only contract. 2000 any network minutes, 5000 3-2-3 minutes, 5000 texts, and truly unlimited data (my mate used 83gb in a month on this plan with no extra charges or throttling) with tethering included. It's called The One Plan.

Nickkk101 says:

Have specific plans for this handset been announced though? I'm aware they've always been top for data plans etc, just curious in a 'like for like' comparison between EE and 3 for this phone. I'm prepared to find out that im likely to be ripped off, i made my choice in Oct 12 knowingly and I've been happy with EE.

I want to know when I can buy it unlocked from Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U. Believe me I'm glad it's ending but I always buy unlocked. Don't want to be tied in to one carrier.

nsg1000 says:

So we need to see Nokia solve production problems so the shops are flooded with handsets of all colours.

dougwallace says:

I bought a UK Nokia Lumia 920 on eBay that said 4g ready but only had 2 and 3g options. Some folks thought this may have been tied to the exclusively of ee. Now this is over will there be an ota patch to unlock the 4g?

RN50 says:

Don't u need a 4g sim card?

dougwallace says:

That is not the issue.

Same story here, but I got the Norwegian version that only have below LTE here in Sweden. The reps told me they will release a patch in February to unlock the LTE sub-Norwegian carriers though :)

Andreas H says:

I also got a "4g ready" device. Unlocked it myself. There is a thread here somewhere on how to unlock 4g on your 920. Worked for me. Nokia told me a patch is coming to enable my device proper.

dougwallace says:

Thanks. Hopefully comes soon.

SergeMcG says:

Thi is great news for British customers. 3 has a very goo network and the only offering a All You Can Eat (!) data plan. Yes, truly unlimited, no caps. 3 will upgrade to LTE 4G very soon. I'm using already an unlocked version of Lumia 920  and on HSPDA+ can offer 5 to 7 Mbit where broadband offers maximum 5!

Xaphoon148 says:

Not sure if it would be more 920's out there since every dealer seems to be out of stock... ;)
Do have a yellow, my son a red one and waiting for a black for my daughter. Not available until end of January on Norway's largest carrier... (sold out)
Anyway, good to see end of exclusivity :)

AriesDog says:

Can't wait for the rumored 6-month exclusivity to end in the U.S.. That will coincide with my contract ending.

Not living in the UK, I kept asking myself "Three what?" Three companies, three hobo's, three fish?

Sharpmango says:

We have an even more stupid company name called Everything Everywhere.. So stupid theyve switched to the EE acronym.

mrcraggle says:

I like to call them NN, I'm sure you can figure out what it means :P

hwangeruk says:

Nice Nipples?

wpguy says:

Every time I see reference to EE, I think of the movie Knowing...

TechnoTim says:

Great rundown of the features. Good elevator speech for the 920.

JammyGitz says:

Three don't have 4G

wpguy says:

No, because then they would have to change their name to Four.

tribexx says:

Being in the US...
The problem is not only the missed opportunity in being exclusive to AT&T, but by the time the exclusivity ends, people will be talking about the HTC (?), the Samsung (?) and the new Nokia (?). Also the lost sales overseas because they did not make enough...
Due to how fast tech is introduced, I would have purchased an alternative phone after the 2nd or 3rd sold out from the stores.

psiu_glen says:

They need to take notes from Apple & Samsung. iPhone and Galaxy S line available on most carriers at once. I'm on Verizon and want that camera...but by the time the exclusivity is up here, VZW won't want a 6 month old phone.

sunnybyday says:

The problem with Nokia was they underestimated the demand for Lumia 920 and ordered fewer components. Then they were not able to cope up with demand. They will know better next time! Not a bad problem to have :)

OMG55 says:

I currently carry the 900 as my personal (waiting for a surface phone or the rumored aluminum body unit Nokia is working on) to replace it with. But on another note, I have a Verizon 822 for work and it has a global setting under cellular. This does this mean it is a world phone? Or would I still have to purchase an unlocked SIM?

xirsteon says:

I'm curious to know if the 822 on VZ is unlocked and if it works on Tmob USA 3G. Too lazy to go research this in the forums.

edsal says:

Good for them in the UK sucks for us in the US .