Microsoft takes the Lumia 930 to the Cornbury music festival

China's going after Microsoft, but what for?

Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Surface

Last-gen Surface tablets pass through Bureau of Indian Standards

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

Samsung releases ATIV BizCard scanning app for Windows Phone

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Armed robbers raid Brazilian Samsung factory for 40,000 devices

Samsung getting cold feet on Windows RT, ATIV Tab not headed to the U.S.

ATIV Tab

It appears that Samsung will not be launching the companies Windows RT tablet, the ATIV Tab, in the U.S. market and the future doesn't look bright for other markets as well.

The reason behind the cold feet? Feedback from Samsung's retail partners indicated demand for Windows RT tablets is modest at best and the investment to sell the importance of Windows RT's benefits was too great.

Mike Abary, Samsung's Senior Vice President over PC and Tablets, stated,

"When we did some tests and studies on how we could go to market with a Windows RT device, we determined there was a lot of heavy lifting we still needed to do to educate the customer on what Windows RT was. And that heavy lifting was going to require pretty heavy investment."

Additionally Samsung looked at the overall price of a Windows RT tablet. Abrary said that Windows RT devices should cost less than those using Windows 8 but there were too many trade offs to bring the price down. For what you pay for the Surface RT, you can just about afford a low-end Ultrabook or mid-range laptop.

Not being able to lower the price without maintaining a useful product, not seeing the demand and the overall marketing cost all together seemed to make the ATIV Tab a bad business decision for Samsung.

In the process, this decision could impact Windows RT overall success. While the Surface RT is a capable tablet, it's not selling like hot cakes. Samsung's concerns have merit and may make it more difficult for Windows RT to succeed.  Looking at the positive, Samsung's decision isn't necessarily an indictment against Windows RT and may motivate Microsoft to look into options to lower the cost and make Windows RT devices more attractive to produce and purchase.

Source: CNET; Thanks, everyone, for the tip!

Comments

DaveGx says:

Its actually the right decision by Samsung. There is no demand for RT, simple as that. Not worth the cost for them or us really, at least at this point.

Tomasz S. says:

Have you somehow missed the boom of iPads and its android knockoffs? There clearly is demand for ARM devices. By skipping WinRT they are letting Apple rule that market. That is not wise at all.

Aaron M says:

You refer to "the market" as if consumers are specifically choosing ARM or Intel.  They aren't.  They pick iPads because they are the defacto tablet choice.  They pick Androids because they are cheap as crap.  They would pick "Windows" tablets because of the promise of having a tablet and laptop all in one.  I use to think the spereate WinRT and W8 devices strategy was a good one.  But as it turns out, RT tablets are hardly cheaper than W8 tablets that run Atom.  I think Samsung is making the right choice here.  MS and its OEM's need to first establish a viable W8 tablet market based on the promise of them acting as laptops when you need it.  Once people get accustomed to the Metro interface and apps of Windows 8, then, and only then, can WinRT tablets maybe succeed.

Eddie_Lomax says:

I definitely agree here, there is no benefit at all for a ARM based tablet.
With hindsight Intel's power consumption improvements should have been realised and the first and only surface should have been a straight windows 8 tablet running anything someone wants.  Once its 100% PC compatible then its a compelling purchase.
As it is now the WindowsRT tablets are fine, but they are under threat from the normal windows tablets, and the only real justification for them will be low price, at least they do the job right now.

Tomasz S. says:

I refer to the market as people are buying non-x86/x64 devices, which cannot run classic PC apps but only Store Apps. There is huge demand for such devices, people adore tablets. I don't buy the excuse that it's hard to explain what RT is, when it's the same concept as the iPad and cheap android knockoffs. And RT makes tablets super cool and usefull. But Samsung just wants to take the easy way, and flood the market with cheap plastic toys instead of competing with quality products.

Tips_y says:

I personally believe Samsung is in a dilema because marketing their Ativ Tab would go head-to-head against their Android tablets. Samsung is I believe the number one Android tablet maker as they are the number one Android phone maker. I think it's also the same dilema they have about doing some marketing for their Ativ S Windows Phone 8 line, because it clashes with their interest as the number one Android phone OEM. If I were in their shoes, I would also hesitate to do any marketing for the WP8 and W8 devices. It's unfortunate but that's the reality.

tallgeese says:

I agree, somewhat. MS's decision to release Surface RT to market first, I believe, was to prepare people for a Windows that didn't run legacy x86/x64 Windows applications: A new Windows that supports desktop and mobile computing, and could run 8-10hrs. Windows RT devices are unique compared to other tablets currently in the market; however, the ecosystem is weak and MS did not send a clear message to consumers on the differences between Windows RT and Windows 8. The average Windows consumer will expect to run a Windows application on a Windows based device regardless if it's a Windows RT or Windows 8 (and beyond) device. I understood what Surface RT was when I purchased it: A new beginning with no legacy application support and 10-hour battery life; A nice content consumption device with MS Office built in! And it's almost perfect (no cellular radio) for mobile VDI.

But with the promise of efficient power management and performance aimed at mobile and desktop devices for the 2013 Intel x86/x64 based Atom and Haswell processors/chipsets, Windows RT's relevance will be further muddied.

IMO, Windows RT = Clean slate; no legacy; no viruses/malware; cloud centric; MS Office ready;

robert brand says:

I'd agree that Samsung are doing the right thing, I do not agree there is no demand. The ATIV Tab is too expensive, has zero marketing, hence no demand. Samsung already has the Galaxy Tabs which they, along with the phones are the new core of their businesses.

Do you have any numbers to back up the 'i do not agree there is no demand' phrase?

tallgeese says:

It appears that MS hardware partners don't feel they need to market Windows RT or Windows 8 devices because of the Windows logo. The reimagined Windows needs to be marketed aggressively. MS and its partners a in new territory: They have to compete

dkp23 says:

They are correct, should not have an RT device nor any other OEM.  All other OEMs should release Pro type models.

Leave the RT device to Surface.  I only got the Surface RT because MS paid for me using my giftcard from the smoked by windows phone challenge.  If i haven't gotten that, wouldn't have bought it.  Just too pricy for an RT device.  Im happy with the product for the most part though, but the 1st party apps crashing is a bit annoying.  I wish they could make the people hub like the windows phone especially get all the feeds from facebook to appear.

Raesu says:

My people app is just like the WP hub. Try reinstalling and check into the options? Maybe your aren't logged in to those services.

spaulagain says:

Ya, something is wrong with your set up then. The people hub on Windows RT/8 works just like on WP. I gave my girlfriend a user account on my computer with a new outlook account. Added her Facebook, etc to her MS account and voila! When she logs on to my computer, all her stuff is there in her people hub.

Tomasz S. says:

How can you say that the Surface is too pricy for an RT device, when it's still the cheapest RT device?

I don't think Samsung has much interest in anything related to wp8 or rt...ativ s in the USA where is it, I think only Great Britain has them now

Canada has them as well

lubbalots says:

Problem is service. Like amazon kindle and google nexus, they sell at loss but hope to gain with service. MS and Samsung have no service to back up. Also, I don't there should be windows RT. Windows 8 and surface pro. Done deal!

texantony says:

You know, I totally agree with Samsung. I'm a tech guy and the questions and comments I receive from friends/clients are mainly of confusion. Most believe the Surface tablet is a replacement to a laptop. When I mention the Pro version or explain the differences, they all rather get the Pro or mention how expensive the RT is. I believe the Pro version is priced accurately, but the RT should be cheaper, starting at $349. That would of flooded the market. Another thing, I wish they rename the windows for RT or like dkp23 just mentioned, their should be just ONE RT device, the Surface. Causing concussion with normal folks.

349.00 for a Surface RT is ludicrous.

texantony says:

Why? I buy a 32gb version, turn it on and it says 11gb free of 24.9GB! So, 11gb for $600+?!?!

And yet you think $349 is ludicrous?

jsayz says:

People, in general, are just mixing up the idea. RT is just that a tablet. PRO is the full product. When I bought my $800 iPad it was not to use as a laptop/computer replacement. Imagine if Apple released a full blown OS X on the iPad. People would go Ape Sh** for it and spend the $1600 price tag. I can't wait to get my RT!

NIST says:

No confusion here. My RT has been awesome. I'm able to get 95% of my work done on RT. Any legacy apps, I've got several full Win8 workstations. Though I wish it was priced cheaper and had better speakers. In meetings, iPad users take notice. I can get tons more done than any iPad. I can see the position for a pro in the enterprise but the Surface RT is no slouch.

poddie says:

I agree. And for those who say the price isn't right for Surface RT... it's HALF the Pro price. That's huge. $500 vs $1000 puts it in range for a lot more people. Not sating Samsung should release one, just that there are VERY good reasons for RT to exist.

TofuDelight says:

I don't blame Samsung for this. When Intel gets its act together for low power chips, RT will be obsolete

RT and WP8 need to be merged, at least to the point where WP8 aps run on RT, otherwise RT is simply not attractive at all.
In my opinion Win8 / 8pro are the future, if you make them in volume the cost per unit is only marginally more than a high end ARM tablet. But the benefits of Win 8 / 8 pro for the consumer are huge. You get aps, windows applications, Android emulation. Thus a product that can be your PC, Notebook and Tablet in one, depending on the configuration of the device.
A good Win 8 Pro tablet will soon be available for less than $699.- smaller 7-8 inch versions could soon be around 499.-, especially those on a budget will discover, that Win 8 provides loads more than iOS or Android, including free software (or hacked), also abandonware (ms should release a good DosBox app) and full iTunes. APPLE wanted a app fight with MS... Now they can have it... Even a OS.X tablet can't match the app count unless you Bootcamp it.

Big Supes says:

This is why OEM's shouldn't complain about the Microsoft manufacturing their own hardware. . .

conanheath says:

RT serves as a media consumption device with a little more backbone. I think it is a good go-between. I use mine for all my personal computing needs and the work laptop for real work. I understood what the limits were going in and I still wouldn't return it. Samsung appears to be half-heartedly supporting MS and WP. No RT device to states and so far, no Ativ S WP8 phone. Is there a grudge that I'm not aware of?

Dare2Blink says:

This is freaking retarded, millions of people have no problem in paying more than a surface rt's price for an iPad. So obviously the much more usefull surface is no problem. Samsung I'd just being lazy. It is very simple to explain to customers that rt devices are pure tablets with some advantages of a laptop (office, USB drives, etc) while pro devices are complete laptop replacements. How hard is that?

NIST says:

Some people are just thick. Probably the same type of people who think an iPad is a computer.

gevabar1 says:

I bought surface and I like it more then iPad I don't care if Samsung makes it or not

I wanted a Surface Pro, and still do, however I am completely happy with my Surface RT.  I have a laptop at home that runs windows 8 pro.  It's about 5 years old but still runs it quite well.  I have that laptop stashed away in a cabinet connected to my router.  With the remote desktop app on the surface, I am able to connect to my laptop and pretty much do anything I want from my surface.  It may not be ideal, but it's a great work around.  Its smooth and quick.  Yeah, I would gladly take a surface pro, but until I get one, I'm very happy with my solution.  Now, if only my 920 didn't freeze up every few hours and require a soft reset...

Antwan3k says:

Windows RT has a definite place because it directly competes with the iPad and Android tablets in terms of price, battery life, and design.. Full Windows 8 tablets would typically cost significantly more than an iPad, have a much lower battey life, and be much thicker and heavier.. Windows RT provides a true tablet solution.. The only real problem is educating consumers and on that point I can agree with Samsung.. If the ONLY thing people want or care about is a full PC experience then people would not be buying iPads and Android tablets.. Period.. For people like myself who just want to do media consumption, email, and Office work, the Surface RT is perfect..

theefman says:

Nope, full Windows 8 runs on current Atom Clovertrail powered PC's and this year on the more powerful Bay Trail platform. You can get current devices starting at $499, same price as the Surface but with much more flexibility,same long battery life and the added benefit of access to millions of Windows desktop software. That is the value advantage over ipads and droids, not trying to go head to head with them on app count and price.

And if you want an even more powerful tablet step up to Haswell powered devices, which will have all the power to run complex programs easily yet still have around 9 hours battery life, compared to the 5-6 you currently get with current core devices. There really is no advantage to an RT device in my book.

Crunchy Frog says:

Perhaps, but the jury is still out on real world experiences with these new chips. I also disagree with the idea that RT has no place. That's like saying there's no place for pick-up trucks because I don't drive one.
RT has a specific place and it revolves around casual users who want a flexible device (not for business use per se) that has good security and a controlled app market. RT is just fast enough to do basic to medium level work and Office 2013 is an undeniable benefit. It's not for everyone, it's just an option for those who need something simple. The Surface Pro is clearly the next step up for those that need a super-charged tablet.

Antwan3k says:

I disagree because typically (on average) RT devices are going to have the more similar specs to cheaper, thinner, and battery saving iPads than to their full PC counterparts.. Sure you'll have the few exceptions but, in general, Windows RT is going to be your prime choice in terms of quality and availability at that $499 iPad pricepoint.. And even if what you're saying is true, you're forgetting that Surface RT comes with free Microsoft Office which is an obvious built-in value that isn't taken into consideration enough in these discussions and is something you'd have to purchase separately with full Windows 8.. Truly (just like WP8), all Windows RT needs are those few "big name" tablet apps that everyone wants/needs and it will always have a place in the low cost tablet arena.. It takes away the immediate argument that "I don't need all that. I just want media consumption with the longest battery life for the cheapest price. I can get that with a $499 iPad instead of a $799+ Windows 8 tablet". Windows RT will consistently be the counter to that argument.. Beyond that, Microsoft simply can't afford to let Apple and Google have 100% control if that market so yes, $499 full Windows 8 tablets are sweet but they will definitely not be the "norm".. $499 Windows RT tablets are the norm.. All it needs is a few more apps and some consumer awareness about the differences between RT and full Windows 8.. And with 60 million installed base so far, the apps should be on the way..

cruisezero says:

I think the future of Windows is getting rid of desktop.. It will support legacy software but for how long? So what Windows RT is IS what windows will eventually look like. Yes right now its in transition stage and is somewhat not self sufficient due to lots of businesses still dependent on old apps.
I caught what MSNerd said about Samsungs thought process and I think there is truth to that.
"The real reason Samsung won't sell Ativ RT in the US is that it would compete with Galaxy Tab & Note 10.1."
Ofcourse there needs to be awareness among consumers for what they are getting and who is to spread those awareness. Samsung does not what to spend a dime because they are self sufficient right now with android line and building their own products like Tizen and Bada(even though its scraped). Microsoft was right for going into hardware business because all the hardware vendors like to lean towards Android and their variants.

dbgman says:

Why get a RT when you can get a pro version that does it all? It is the best of both worlds!

Reflexx says:

Long battery life
MS Office included at no additional cost

It's ideal for students. You can take it all day without worrying about plugging in as much. You have MS Office to do school work.

If you add the cost of Office to the price of any decent quality x86 tablet, the price difference is pretty large.

theefman says:

You get the same battery life with Atom tablets.
Office 2013 will be $99 a year with no restrictions live no macros, scripts, etc.
Quite a few Atom tablets come with digitizers (Dell, Asus, Lenovo) even more ideal for students to take handwritten notes.

Every point made for RT can be countered with an Atom device, it does everything an RT device can do and more. No point restricting yourself with RT for no good reason.

Reflexx says:

The "no good reason" part is where I disagree with you. There are good reasons for many people. Just not for YOU.

Some people LIKE the high build quality of a premium device like the Surface as opposed to getting an Atom device that is aimed at budget consumers.

Some people don't want to spend $99 a year for Office.

Sure, you can counter these with your own preferences. But that doesn't mean there's"no good reason" for others.

There are always trade-offs. With an Atom as opposed to Surface RT you're trading Premium vs Budget. You're trading more efficient standby power savings because an ARM processor can actually stop completely when not in use, and just turn on shortly at regular intervals to check things. An x86 doesn't stop.

I considered an Atom because it's a little faster. But I believed that including MS Office with RT gave it more value.

I personally believe that people should either go ARM or full fledged i3/5/7. But I don't go around saying that there's"no good reason" to choose Atom.

theefman says:

I am discussing the point of the operating system Windows RT, not the Surface itself. The build quality applies to just that one product and doesnt really impact the OS's capabilities or have any relevance to the discussion of RT/ARM vs Windows 8/x86 Atom.

I'm not sure what you mean by x86 processor doesnt stop but Clovertrail Atom chips support Connected Standby which allows them to enter a low power state and achieve the same power savings as an ARM device. This is one of the plus points of current Atom chips and what makes them more viable than previous versions.

Sorry, but I still have to disagree with you on the usefulness of an RT device. To put it another way, you can fully duplicate the functionality of an RT device with an x86 Atom substitute but not the other way round. Bundling Office is a plus but there are so many more software programs, millions that an x86 device can take advantage of which may never be available on RT. For that reason alone I dont see what RT brings to the table in a computing world that still relies on desktop software for most of its functionality.

Reflexx says:

You're confusing the purpose of RT. The RT isn't meant to replace a computer. If you don't own a home computer, but need a computer, then RT isn't for you.
Just like an iPad or GalaxyTab will not replace a computer. But people buy them and like them. They have computers at home. Hell, sometimes they even have laptops.
RT exists right now to replace a tablet, but also gives you some real useful work ability with MS Office. You can take it around with you and if you're just going to do light office work, you don't need to bring your real laptop.
If you're looking for one device that will do everything, then get something with at least an i3 in it.
Right NOW, the choices we have for Atom based Windows 8 PCs aren't all that hot. If they had similar build quality to the Surface RT, then they'd cost more. Then throw in the price of Office, and that's even more.
Might as well get an i3/i5/or i7.

Tomasz S. says:

Why do people not understand that?

garak0410 says:

Totally agree there...my Surface replaced my Android tablet. It is a more productive tablet not a PC replacement...(I will say VPN and remote desktop are a joy to use on the Surface)

Tomasz S. says:

If you don't mind how much Atom devices suck.

Reflexx says:

Samsung doesn't want to do any heavy lifting. Just like how Motorola and Verizon did the heavy lifting in getting Android popular. Then Samsung just swooped in and took the business.

Even though Asus has an RT tablet, I doubt they'll much promoting.

It's pretty much up to Surface. RT does have a place in the market for people that don't need desktop apps and would rather have tablets that can last all day, while still working with their FREE MS Office. RT makes a lot of sense if you have a PC at home.

If Nokia makes an RT tablet, they will also do heavy lifting. They will promote it. And when people appreciate that and buy the product over a Samsung, others will resent it.

theefman says:

I still dont see the point of Windows RT. The biggest benefit is battery life and you can get the same long battery life with current Atom tablets which can even do light duties in programs like Photoshop and have digitizers for handwriting which would be ideal for students. They come in different screen sizes, 10.1"-11.6" and seem to cope well enough with Windows store apps and games and while they arent as good for desktop gaming that will improve with Bay Trail devices this year.

So why limit yourself with an RT device when you can get a Windows 8 Atom tablet and enjoy the best of both worlds? I really dont see this as any kind of loss apart from being negative PR for Microsoft and Windows which the haters on tech sites will love. For consumers though, I think there really is more good here than bad.

Reflexx says:

Atoms won't last ad long as ARM.

Atoms still suck with desktop programs. If you can afford PhotoShop, why would you get an Atom? That's just asking for your copy of PhotoShop to be completely useless.

And the you want to work on some documents, presentations, and spreadsheets? Whoops! MS Office doesn't come with x86 versions. Gotta pay for that.

Vheissu says:

At least with an atom pc you could just install your old office 2007 that you already bought and is still very capable.

Reflexx says:

If you're looking for a desktop replacement, go for it. Use your license for that Atom and I'll use a modern version of Office on my RT.

How many college students have old, unused, copies of Office 2007 lying around?

And considering Atom sucks on most desktop programs, you'll really just have a glorified RT tablet. Just with an older version of Office on it and probably inferior build quality.

theefman says:

They can and they do. Are you reading any reviews of Atom tablets? They last in the 8-9 hour range, and thats before you add the additional battery in optional docks some have. Toe to toe with any RT device.
Atoms suck with desktop programs? Go over to tabletpcreview forums and read how people are able to use Photoshop for light work, yes not for heavy, complex work but its much more useful than not having it at all with an RT device.
MS Office will be quite cheap, $99 per year for the full suite including Outlook and all its capabilities inc macros, scripts and other things cut from the RT version. Well worth the cost for people who need Office.
How about joining a domain? Cant do that with an RT device, but you can with an Atom. Which would be more attractive to enterprise?

End of this year is Bay Trail which brings more power while keeping all the other benefits of current Atom chips. Even with Tegra 4 RT still will be limited to Windows store apps so none of the limitations will be removed while Atom chips will become even more versatile as they get more powerful. What is the advantage of RT again?

Reflexx says:

90%+ of regular consumers don't need any of that from a tablet.

If I want that, I'm buying a real ultrabook convertible.

theefman says:

So what is it that 90% of customers want that RT gives them over an x86 Atom tablet? Atoms cover all usage scenarios of an RT device so again, where is the advantage of RT?

GreenScrew says:

And the answer is Office, right?
But I agree, for the price difference, RT is a waste despite the fact that 90% of regular consumers don't need the added features. Its still priced wrong.
Many of the Atom/CloverTrail devices can be tablet/ultrabook/desktop all in one just depending on what you plug the main tablet in to. Not the best of both worlds, the best of ALL worlds. So what is the advantage of an ultrabook convertible? Unless you're a graphic designer, 3D modeler, or extreme gamer....??

nube_android says:

Excuse me, very FEW will need a full blown OS.

Tomasz S. says:

Mobility, battery life, build quality, ease of use.. to name a few.

Why don't you go around and ask people who buy iPads and Galaxy Tabs why didn't they purchase an Atom device instead? At least some of them should laugh in your face for that question.

nube_android says:

Exactly. Windows fanboys are idiots honestly. No one wants a "full blown" tablet thats fat and runs desktop apps that no one needs.

Nakazul says:

Maybe the problems is that W8 is to young? RT is needed for MSFT, its a tab after all. But are RT really the complete experience it should be, are you getting all services MSFT is offering to complete the experience. RT is needs but needs polish and im afraid MSFT never gets anything right the first time.

Vheissu says:

I can't blame them, I realize that the iPad sells good but I still can't figure out why, I have 0 interest in an ARM computer i like x86 everything already works on it. I'm not so desperate for battery life that i am willing to give up everything in the x86 world for it. Also without apps like the iPad already has Windows RT is really crippled because it can't run x86 programs, if MS can get on par with Apple on tablet apps i think OEMs will show a lot more interest in RT because then it will be a real iPad competitor.

Tomasz S. says:

So it's the Instagram argument again, eh?

noirsoft says:

Well, if the 3rd party manufacturers aren't interested in RT, then MS should be able to lower the price of Surface RT without undercutting their partners.

SteggyDad says:

Love my Surface RT. Added a microSD for extra storage and it works great in the classes I'm taking that have lots of Powerpoint presentations and report writing. if it had included the soft touch keyboard cover in the original price, it would have been the perfect price IMO.

GreenScrew says:

I agree with most here. RT needed to be price $100 less and it would have been perfect complement and would also have driven a wedge where Android tablets are trying (and starting) to go. But as has been commented here, the price point is too high for starters, and too close to the CloverTrail Pro devices in the end as well.
With regard to CloverTrail, whoever said 'Atom is slow and sucks'... hasn't used one of the new generation of Atom. Yeah, it doesn't exactly compete with i-series, but if you want to put together a PPT, work on an Excel spreadsheet... absolutely no problem. And Haswell will further this along even further. The limitation will be memory footprint, and if you need more than 3MB you will probably need to move up (away from SoC) and take the hit to battery life - however modest that may become in the next generation of processors and chipsets coming out in 2013.
Lastly, whoever said RT is the future, doesn't "work" to the extent that they must not create any "content". Because the desktop rules for productivity in this space. For cut/paste, interacting with multiple programs, and just general multi-tasking... I'm not sure what UI invention needs to happen that would be better than Windows/Desktop, but full screen apps (ala RT/iOS) are NOT the answer for anyone other that the most basic task worker (maybe a tech blogger... ;-))

GreenScrew says:

I'll add that I believe the idea that Office compensates for the price delta between where RT would have flourished is not valid to the RT audience. Be it home use or student, there are plenty of free productivity suite replacements that serve this market perfectly fine. Office is extremely important in the business/enterprise world, where the RT license of Office isn't applicable. So I think the benefit of Office on RT is grossly overstated. On Pro that wouldn't have been the case (and MS knows that businesses/enterprise will buy this anyway). So while Office is an advantage/benefit, its more just icing, and no where near value of the actual purchase price of Office.

jabtano says:

I think they did the right thing.It's not going to sell like hot cakes. Surface is showing that Plus too in if Nokia puts one out then much like all the apple fan boys going nuts buying it that is what will happen there, The best bet for any OEM right now is to use the pro end of Win8 on a tablet. True it's going g to cost more than the others but your going to get more. Also iPad is so entrenched in the tablet end that no matter who puts out what the majority is going to head for apple. Dell has a few really nice tablets out so do others so from a Samsung stand point I can see it. What I can not see is not letting the ATIVs out state side other than they can not keep up with the demand for the screen as it uses the same as the Galaxy

paulm187 says:

Samsung are in bed with Google, there must have been a behind the doors agreement to push only Android on Arm.

al.cantara says:

I've long waited for Msft's answer to the iPad. Then comes the surface rt. Guess what I did.. Got it on day one. Now, I'm happy :) I also just upgraded my laptop to win 8 n got even happier. Point is - don't worry, be happy ^_^

nsg1000 says:

hmmmm, full windows on an atom, i know the initial reviews have been positive BUT, rt is like a phone os, it does not go stale, let the press review full windows on atom after a few weeks of use, when the boot time is 3 minutes, and  remeber an atom will not run demanding x86 applications.

Crunchy Frog says:

I actually own a Surface RT and I can tell you it's not a phone OS at all but the full blown Windows OS just compiled for ARM. The Intel ones are coming but the idea of RT makes real sense for a lot of users. For one thing, it'simmune to nearly every virus or malware out there and has controls over the market to make sure junky apps don't clog up the OS with start-up junk killing the battery or malware/poorly coded junk.

nsg1000 says:

i dont think i worded my initial post well. i'm posting from a surface rt! I was trying to say that rt is similar to a phone os in that it stays fresh with consitent boot tomes. Im not sure full windows on the new atoms will achieve this and so are less appropriate for a lot of consumers.

Are you ppl blind or what ??? They just want to push their Galaxy brand. They don't care one iota about the ATIV anything.

inteller says:

all you f--king cheap ass bitches need to shut up about Surface pricing and go buy a POS android device.  There is NO, ZERO, NONE, devices that offer what Surface does at that price point.

GreenScrew says:

Well, I'm not saying it isn't worth the price, but consumers (aka cheap ass bitches) are gonna keep buying the the tried and trusted iPad at the same price point. A Hondo cheaper and I'd bet RT would take over. As it is, its W8 Pro's market to tackle. Of course, just my opinion. For sure in the business world its not even much debate.. Pro will rule.

Crunchy Frog says:

Samsung is cancelling it because their tablets they recently launched are very poor quality with flimsy hinges and cheap plastic and are taking a beating over it. They realized that they had no chance next to the Surface for the same price point.

Amazing how many people have inside information. AFAIK, there have been no official published sales figures for RT or Surface. Anybody who really knows won't leak, and anybody who leaks doesn't know. Going by retailers' comments on Surface is a joke. Best Buy has no idea what it has in inventory let alone what it sells. Many Salesfolk there could be easily convinced that the iPad is an Android device, that a Surface is an iPad, etc. It's pretty disgusting how much of the info out there is nothing more than retweets, including most of the tech reviews. I guess there must be some money in that kind of "journalism" because there certainly can be no pride. I could personally care less what Samsung does here. Or Acer, or anyone else. Microsoft finally showed everyone how to do a tablet, just like Apple did with the first iPad. As for price, not buying a Surface because it is "$100 too much" is as illogical as it would be for Microsoft to ever lower the price. Microsoft has more cash than they can spend short of another dividend. If Surface ends up not selling, they'd be better off to just stop making them and eat the inventory than to put them on fire-sale. RIM had no choice. Microsoft does. The build quality, utility, and bundle of the Surface RT is worth every bit of the price. Even with the $119 or $129 keyboard (which by the way is also a cover, and having shopeed for a decent Nexus 10 cover, a bluetooth keyboard for those times you need it, etc. the cover is cheap. The Surface fully charges in 2 hours from dead and lasts at LEAST 8 hours. It's a metal case. It has a kickstand. USB port, MicroSD slot. HDMI and VGA out. No fan. No heat. Wifi could probably pick up a router in orbit. All the Office most people need built-in and really, really usable. Great video playback and at 1080p fo HDMI. Bluetooth or jacked audio. I have looked pretty hard for a cheaper tablet from anyone that comes anywhere close, and it does not exist. Period. I had planned to trade-up when Surface Pro came out, but I am rethinking that. I will likely just invest in a cheaper home-brew tower and remote into it. The only thing remaining would be the pen capabilities of the Surface Pro -- very interested to see if that feature alone makes it worthwhile. If the physical plant is as good as the Surface RT, it might be worth a grand vs. having another laptop. I could carry both -- together they'd weigh less than most ultrabooks, be almost as thin when stacked.
So, yeah, maybe Samsung is making a good decision, but I think the real reason may be that they just don't measure up in this space and they know it. Fraidy scared if you ask me.
(BTW -- I have plenty of really nice Samsung gear, so nothing against them as a company)

This is he kind of Windows 8 Pro Tablets we will soon have...
You come home from work, so you take your 8 inch Windows Pro tablet (8Gb of RAM, 256Gb SSD) with an Intel (i5/i7 or what they will call it), you lay it into its docking station where is will now serve as a keyboard and display on a 21inch touch screen. While your tablet is docked and charging and not being used, your tablet will backup itself to a small HD with 2Tb capacity in the docking station. Next you need to review some homework, so you start your hybrid (which is now your PC with touch) and start working on your Word file... now you need to write a letter in ie. French, so you need that French keyboard, which now displays properly on your tablet's screen which serves as a keyboard. Then you print everything over your WiFi or USB printer and go to sleep. The next morning you lift your tablet out of its docking station and you take it with you with all your files along with your printout. You feel secure because you encrypted all of the important stuff and you have a backup of your tablet in its docking station. The tablet is only 1.5 pounds and thus very practical for on the go.
You see, while this sounds expensive, it will soon be real and very affordable... Do we need real keyboards... in fact I can type very fast on a touch keyboard, a keyboard that can reconfigured in what it displays is a huge plus, a 21inch display will soon be very affordable... all we need is Samsung, Acer or Asus to make such a docking station.
This is just one idea... Aced has something where you dock your tablet into a stand... I think using the Tablet as keyboard makes more sense... There will be many more great products with New solutions...
I would not be surprised if you can get such a hybrid for around $999.- by the 4Q of 2013.

If true, chalk this up as yet another Microsoft marketing failure.  Microsoft's decision to name Windows RT "Windows RT" was a disastrous one that could kill the entire platform.  Stupidest product name in the history of product names.  And they haven't done the job of educating the public about what Windows RT is.  While the Surface division is going a good job of marketing that product, all things considered, Windows RT marketing is a complete fail, and there should be large numbers of heads rolling on account of it.  Maybe Sinofsky was the first head, but I don't know how much say he had in the marketing area.

Kopacha says:

Last couple of days, i kept reading whole kind of nonsense about this device. Couple of times and on a different sites i was about to comment, and stopped myself. But i guess it had to happen at some point, so why not here.

1. I guess it's normal for the US tech press, to think that when a device is not selling in US, this automatically means that it's not available or selling at all in other parts of the .. you know - The World?! The device has been in sale since 17th of December here, and i actually had a hard time obtaining one for myself.

2. It takes some brain, and need-do actions for one , to inform himself what is and what's not an Windows RT, and what are the simplest of differences between RT and x86/x64 Win 8.

3. I guess it's normal for everybody in the world, for a new ecosystem to have a critical mass of applications from day 1, of the launch of a new OS. In reality, the things are a bit different.

4. My last phone was a Samsung with WP7. My current phone is Samsung with WP8. I love Samsung devices. I hate Samsung as a company. They MUST up until know figured for themselves that most of their problems are that they are too much of a hardware company, than a software company. Samsung as a company (and i stand behind this position firmly) that the SOFTWARE support for their devices IS HORRIBLE, to say the least. Late updates, or no updates at all for some low-to-mid-tier phones of theirs. Failure to support Symbian at the time when it was still relevant. Failure to support their own Frankenstein - BADA. Failure to stabilize and deliver their own application layer and shell with theit horendeous TouchWiz, that now requires a QuadCore ARM processor just to keep up the work with the phone smooth. Their KIES is beyond hope and repair. So it wast their PS Studio suite before that. Their connectivity cables/drivers set NEVER work as it should, or in many cases - not working at all.

The software selection of their "Samsung Zone" in the WP7 and WP8 is laughable, even compare to HTC, not to mention Nokia.

The story with their LIES about the 2010/2011 D6xxx 3D TVs is whole different story.

So.. ATIV Tab, even though it's a great device and an example even for those in Cupertino in terms of industrial design and build quality, shares the same Krait SoC as with many (including their own) phones and tablets. And as any decent and "try-to-stay-informed" tech geek this days, knows that the chip is perfectly capable of  doing 3G/4G. And yet - ATIV Tab lacks such functionality. Compared even to the rather more capable, and lot cheaper IconiaTab W510, it's a shame that they become day after day, just another pale Apple copy - all about stocks and profits, and to hell with the customers.

So, i would recommend the "US IT Press" and also the SS (Samsung Suit) that was quoted in the above article, to look and find the problems in their pigpen, before pointing fingers.

And last

5. Because of all those reasons above, if Samsung doesn't stop complaining and searching for someone else to blame for their own mishap, and doing so only feeding their own arrogance, at some point in the future  they will share the SONY fate.