Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

New Treasure Tag app update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Latest Fhotoroom update brings transparent Live Tiles, HDR filter and much more

From the Forums

Who has the best Windows Phone camera app? Nokia, Microsoft or Proshot?

New Nokia MixRadio update ditches the 'Nokia' brand

Massive ProShot update is now available for Windows Phone with temporary price cut

ProShot set to receive a huge update - New user interface, front facing camera support and more

Windows Phones

Lumia 930 pre-orders begin in Norway Wednesday for July 10 launch

Windows Phones

Microsoft Store US site pulls pre-order listings for Nokia Lumia 635

Nokia Imaging SDK 1.2 released, Lumia SensorCore SDK out of private beta

Windows Phones

Lomogram rises from the ashes of controversy, re-released in the Windows Phone Store

Microsoft teases possible launch date of a green Lumia or successor to the X

Microsoft partners with British designer to create wireless charging pants

Lumia Cyan update said to improve low-light performace on Lumia Icon, 1520 and 930

Lumia 930 availability on Ireland's Meteor pushed back to mid-July

Another video of how kickass the camera on the Lumia 920 is

Lumia OIS

We get it, you get it, and everyone gets it, the camera on the Lumia 920 kicks ass. Whether devouring photons in low-light situations or reproducing great audio in videos, the 920 can handle it all with aplomb.

So here is another one of those videos showing off a killer feature unique to Nokia and their PureView technology, specifically the optical image stabilization. The video puts a Lumia 920 and a competitor on a hexacopter at the Nokia Lumia 920 launch event in India.

The video below shows off what appears from those in attendance to be a Samsung Galaxy SIII up against the Lumia 920. Both devices were attached to the copter and were recording a video of the audience at the same time, then the video results were put up on stage side-by-side for the audience to see the difference in video quality and how the OIS handled being on a bumpy ride. The results speak for themselves.

Videos like this are fun to see the great imaging tech we have available on the Windows Phone platform. You’ll also remember the interviews we had the other day at CES with Juha Alakarhu and Chris Weber – both reitereated the same message that the combination of Windows Phone and Nokia’s imaging tech was only getting started and this year will only get even better. To say they were both extremely excited about the future would be an understatement.

We can only imagine the combination of camera technology in the 41 megapixel monster 808 PureView and optical image stabilization of the Lumia 920. That duo isn’t improbable and hopefully our imagination will become reality at Mobile World Congress.

Source: The Handheld Blog YouTube

Comments

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online(Click on menu Home)

Happy New Year!

Sarang68 says:

Bootilicious

cdb033 says:

I use my 920 camera daily!!

Tafsern says:

Wow! Amazing!

Arsenic17 says:

Doesn't look that much better...

...not sure if serious

aaa6112 says:

doesnt matter even if serious. :)

You must have only watched the first 30 seconds of the video.

JoeDizzle33 says:

So you didn't notice the shakes coming from the SIII video camera?

bbqrooster says:

No, he was shaking when he was watching the video. His shaking sychronized with the shaking of the SIII camera, therefore he did not notice the shaking. :)

Ayush_WP says:

Logic Lvl : 9000!!!

Tjalsma says:

That's a shakey point of view.

Big Supes says:

...says the blind man. ;)

tallgeese says:

Arsenic17, you seriously don't see the difference? Change your ID to Oblivious1 ;-)

MadDogFL62 says:

Sorry brotha.  920 blah, blah, blah.

uopjo6 says:

Mad dog from Verizon

cedarlog says:

another epic video for 920camera

sholokov says:

Any doubts left?

cashcar1979 says:

Anyone who buys a Samsung Ativ over the 920 is crazy

Jim Osborne says:

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my 920, but the camera is just ok. Still doesn't compare to my iPhone 5.

Radu Grama says:

As an owner of 3 L920s, 1 L900 and an iP5, I have to agree.  All these techie videos mean nothing to consumer who just want to see pretty looking pictures.  That means warm colors and center spot metering mode, and everyone else (HTC 8X included) but Nokia seems to have figured that out.

JW888 says:

What are you talking about??????????? L920 kicked iphone 5's ass........Iphone 5 user..every body come out to the house or building, let's take a picture under the sun........ L920 just taking picture whenever you need, indoor, evening, night time and so on.......

Radu Grama says:

My L920 takes sharper images during the day and night (especially after the latest upgrade), and at the same time meters the photo inaccurately which most of the time ends up in the subject looking darker than what I would like it to be.  My iP5 looks to me like it's doing spot metering and it also allows me to tap on the subject and will adjust metering based on that and as a consequence the subject will never look right.
From my consumer prospective iP5 wins vs. L920, 8x wins vs. L920, even L900 wins L920, and frankly that frustrates the heck out of me because I bought 3 of them and my wife is complaining all the time that her pictures of our daughter, and her appetizers, and the cakes she bakes, and her tennis friends are too dark.  So as far as I'm concerned Nokia has got the L920 photos right when my wife doesn't complain about dark photos, and so far they are failing me :)

sheppo says:

metering in good lighting on the 920 is a bit off.. and you're right, the quality of the image using the default camera app in daylight will result in at best equal quality shots compared to the next best.
This camera excells in areas where the next best are particularly poor. Night shots, sound quality on video, image stabilisation on video, and software integration.
It's also worth noting these are all things that will never, and can never be fixed on competitor phones.
the lack of spot metering, or tap-to metering are software issues, and as such can and will likely be resolved via software updates, or by using other camera apps available in the market place.
ps. saying you own other phones doesn't add weight to your argument; it's still anecdotal.

Radu Grama says:

Image stabilization at work - YES, the right metering mode - NO!  Let me think which ones consumers needs more?  Apparently Nokia thinks IS is more imprtant than picking the right settings for a photo... even in the side-by-side videos you see the Nokia movie being too dark, sorry Nokia, in my book you can stabilize the image as much as you want, but if you can't get the colors right. it's still an D-.

ahuczek says:

totally agree. i was watching the video and my immediate impression was wow, that image looks like shit. its nice and smooth though which is nice but until they fix the color reproduction on their camera, i agree with radu, shaky cam vids are a silly point to keep emphasizing.

the_tyrant says:

Nokia has some pretty damned good color reproduction

Whereas in comparison, I usually find that Samsung and Apple over saturate the colors a bit

Radu Grama says:

Of course that's what Samsung and Apple does, and even HTC does, and of course Nikon and Canon and Sony and every cosumer camera manufacturer do, because in consumer photography the "best picture" is defined subjectively and studies have shown that people will chose a warmer, more saturated photo over a colder, blender one.  That's what every "Photography 101" book says as well, and I'll be more than happy to buy Nokia one of those books if they can get me my L920s fixed in that way, because I'm using my L920 to take pretty pictures and upload them on Facebook, not to take saturation accurately pictures - I use my DSLR for that.

Andi_N says:

While I somehow agree with your point on the colors (it certainly is evident in shots under fluorescent light), I'd still prefer Nokia's. Why? They CAN fix it if they want to through a software update, it is more on how the phone processes the image taken, and while waiting for that update (but even if they won't) you can post-process the photo to your own liking. And at least they're innovating. There aren't any phones there with image stabilization there AFAIK. In an iP5, there's no way to post-process video to be as smooth as Nokia's because OIS is mechanical, but in L920, you can post-process image/video to get the right settings.

And it probably also just boils down on how you use the camera, I mean, just look at the "Pictures/Videos taken with Lumia 920" thread. Many L920 daylight shots rival every existing flagship phone cameras out there (except the Pureview 808 of course)... And don't even get me started with the night shots...

J Papi says:

Fact is, the camera on this phone can do a lot more than any other 8MP camera phone in the market. I don't care how unimpressed you are about daylight pictures.

roblo says:

Here is a review from a real pro.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-n8mU9E9fy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtiede says: