Trouble with Internet Sharing on Win Phone? Try out this DIY solution

Nokia Internet Sharing

With the latest versions of Windows Phone consumers are able to make use of Internet Sharing, depending on carrier, device capabilities and allowance. But what if it doesn't work as planned? Many have encountered issues when attempting to connect to the Internet via a Windows Phone.

Devices are able to view and connect to the new access point created by the smartphone, but Internet access isn't available. Luckily, there are a few steps that should resolve the issue, thanks to folk at the Nokia forum and beyond. So what does one have to do to get Internet Sharing back up and working?

Solution 1 - update Access Point (Nokia only)

The first suggestion is to update Nokia Access Point settings (you can scan the QR codes in this thread to access the system app listing), but this doesn't always fix the problem, which leads us to the second step that can be carried out. If updating (or editing - if you know what you're doing) the settings app doesn't achieve anything, or if you're using a non-Lumia Windows Phone, be sure to check out APN settings. Moving on, captain.

Solution 2 - fiddle with APN connections

Essentially the second fix has the active APN connection reactivated through creating a dummy entry and switching between the two.

Only one connection should be present in the Access Point of the Settings, but adding a second entry (bypassing all the warnings that come with the setup process) would then present two entries. Switching to the newly created connection (select and hold > activate) would then disable the connection that was automatically entered using mobile operator data.

Now all that's left to do is reactivate the main APN entry again. Connecting a device to the Windows Phone will then be able to access the Internet through the smartphone. If this works out, then it's just an issue which required an APN reactivation, but if not then we'll have to look at other options. Have you encountered issues with Internet Sharing, have any of the steps above helped solve the problem? Let us know in the comments.

As usual, Windows Phone Central can't take any responsibility should your Windows Phone fall apart, or decides to take over the world.

Source: WPXbox

Comments

This is not good news as Internet Sharing is top of my list for top new features on my next Win phone.

Tsyokiss says:

It works just fine on my 8x, hence the internet speed is even faster outdoors now on my notebook than it is indoors over wifi.. (yes our internet suck but still.. :P)

spcdog says:

Yeah, I don't get this either. This is the first I've ever heard of this. ICS has been working flawlessly on my Lumia 822. Sounds like more of a mobile operator config issue than an OS issue. Maybe if they weren't so razor-focused on trying to squeeze every last drop of blood out of their customers...

Robby921242 says:

Internet sharing works fine on my HTC 8X.

Montpbm says:

AT&T or T-Mobile? Verizon? Mines say I have to call T-Mobile to activate..

procen says:

Mine too, because they want you to play extra. TMobile wants $10.00 to enable my internet sharing.

byutah says:

Brought home a Galaxy S3 yesterday to listen to a Grateful Dead concert on Sirius which is not on WP. I used internet sharing, from my 920, to power the Galaxy S3 and it worked flawlessly. Using it right now listening to Stern on Sirius while on the train & again working great!

DaveGx says:

Though not a MS issue, carriers should not be allowed to charge extra to use this feature.  I should not have to pay for more data if I dont need more data, just to be able to use an option already on the phone. Its assinine and another bs scam by the carriers.
Its only me, dont have a family and dont need a shared plan. I also dont need 5gb of data. But with my 3gb of data, which I already pay for, prevents me from using Internet Sharing. Why?  What the hell does it matter?  It shouldnt. I paid for this data already, I should be able to use it how I want.  This is like your cable company, charging you extra to use a wireless router. Its a complete scam and should not be allowed.

tgr42 says:

Agreed, this is abusive and unacceptable behavior.  Unfortunately, when we try to pay for data, we aren't actually paying for that data.  We're paying for a service with all kinds of strings attached.  And every day there are more strings.  Some day I hope these carriers reap what they're sowing.

Montpbm says:

Yes me too.. They are straight cons.

tds101 says:

My Lumia 920 has never had any issues sharing OR even connecting to a WiFi network. All good!!!

sholokov says:

you must be on a share plan

RMathis77 says:

I bought a Lumia810 and by default it did not show the internet Sharing option under settings... I assumed Tmobile had blocked it since i am on a lower Data Plan (2gig per month instead of the 5gig or Unlimited options).
Adter installing the Access Point and cahning to the 2nd option it showed within the access point app  I now have the Internet Sharing in my settings.  Im not a big Data user but I do need it once in a while when I cannot get a Wi-fi so this is a huge help!

Thanks

jgbstetson says:

Does anyone know if this will bypass carrier restrictions on tethering, say if a certain someone signed up for unlimited data and didn't read the fine print?

conanheath says:

Great, sounds like another Nokia problem.

Joey Bowles says:

I use it daily on my Nokia and didn't even realize there was an issue. The att lte speeds are faster than most public hotspots.

It does not activate tethering for ATT Lumia 920's, I've tried. The only thing around this carrier restriction is going to be a ROM that doesn't have that restriction built in, there's no other way around it anymore, unless you feel like paying ATT their rape dollars just to share the internet connection you're already paying for.

andrelamont says:

no problems on my AT&T cyan 920. i reset my tablet's wi-fi connections history whenever I had problems tethering.

do you pay extra for teathering ? how did you activate this feature i cant enable teathering i get an error mesage, "contact AT&T" to enable this feature.

OMG55 says:

No problem here in Texas on Nokia L900

Do you tethering with att?

aschettler says:

Ummmm... All I've had to do (I've only had this problem happen once, and it hasn't happened since) is restart the phone.

Datamisc says:

I used to have that problem, i fixed it in my computer by establishing the DNS server manually. For example to 8.8.8.8 (google dns server)

dinchy87 says:

Is there any chance to share a wifi connection? So to say like a wifi hotspot? On wp7 or wp8... This feature would be a good one.

rianext says:

Am having a problem with my lumia 800. Until recently it was working fine. And then one day I tried internet sharing and I got this msg "CONNECTION NOT SHARED. There is a problem with the current settings"
Tried nokias network setup, made a dummy apn, switched back and forth. Restarted and tried everything all over. I cant even get the internet sharing option to activate let alone get it detected by other devices. Not sure what to do now....
Using an Unlocked lumia 800. Connection provider:Airtel. India.

tcadbury says:

I have this working now -  Lumia 920 on AT&T. Thanks for the instructions!

JD Miles says:

Hi   also on AT&T if you do not mind what exact steps made this possible for you. I get the AT&T notice of not available on this device !
thanks for your time
JD

pallentx says:

No problems with my Lumia 900 or my 920 with connection sharing. I never knew this was an issue for anyone.

Toni Chan says:

Hi Pallentx
How do you keep 'internet sharing' on at all time?  My Lumia 900 was automatically turned off after only a short while and I have to keep turning if back on.  It is very stupid.
Do you come across the same or how do you get it around?  Pls leave me yr workaround to andy2.chan@yahoo.com.hk.  Tks

conanheath says:

You have to activate internet sharing on ATT. There is no work around to my knowledge. If you have unlimited data, ATT will not let you use internet sharing without forking over some more money. I want to say you could pay $10 or $20 a month and they would activate it. I went with 5gig plan and my plan went up $10 a month vs unlimited. One way or the other they are going to get their money if you want the feature. And unlocked phones, I have no idea how they handle those. As for unlimited and tethering, nobody has a work around or it doesn't appear to be public knowledge.

chucky78 says:

I could kiss someone at WPC right now.  Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!  You have made my day.  It works like a charm.  The only question is where was the Access Point app all this time?  HTC had connection setup in their store but since owning a Nokia I was dissapointed that no such app was available.  Regardless Thanks You!  For those wondering this is for a NL 920 from Rogers on Wind Mobile.

vitor_canova says:

I bought my HTC 8X on Verizon and when I try to share I see "Internet Sharing isn't currently allowed".
The problem is I live in Brazil and don't know how to solve this problem.

I've been using a unlocked Samsung Focus from AT&T and this feature works great here.

It seems (what i read atleast) that the issue is primarily targeting computers with Win8 Pro.
Apparently the drivers for WiFi cards that Win8 has embedded, do not work with our internet sharing.

Therefore to make it work, you need to install the correct driver for your wireless ethernet card (preferably Win8 driver) and it should work.
It did on mine anyways :D Even though the Broadcom driver is seriously bugged >_<

Whodaboss says:

Well, this is very good news.

Eldar ALiev says:

never been an issue on nl920. use it daily with no problems.

jieqin says:

Just a piece of advice, DO NOT place a space within the password. Took me 2 restore to realize.
If you have a space within the password, most probably you'll need to restore if you ever want to use internet sharing again.

Toni Chan says:

I can do internet sharing on my Lumia 900.  But the internet sharing goes off very fast so it becomes practically no use at all.  Is there any one knows how to 'keep' internet sharing on?  Is there any Windows apps that helps?  Many tks,

BBlackwo says:

I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 on AT&T and EVENTUALLY got it unlocked.
I am now on Optus (In Australia) and tethering was disabled. AT&T couldn't help =(

Then I tried this. Got the Access Point app and make a dummy entry then went back to the correct entry (Optus) and restarted the phone.
Tethering works GREAT now!!! =) =) =)

Thanks so much for this post! Took me ages to find but I can now use TETHERING! ;)

SynxZan says:

well I use this way too, activate the access point, then restart the phone, enable internet sharing, walla
I can share my connection over wifi :D

Bill Schmidt says:

Also, just  a friendly word of advice, had the internet sharing, it worked at first, then stopped working. Just turned my phone off and on again, and bam, back to working normally.  Simple, yet effective in some cases, try it out, what's there to lose?

aleunge says:

Steps 1 then 2 fixed internet sharing on my 810 on Mobilicity! Big thanks! The restart was key!

@ rich Edmonds@all: Thanks alot...finally its working....BIG BIG thanks for sharing the  knowledge and also am thank ful to the person who actually found out the soultion(who so ever).Now am loving my Lumia 620 so much... For me the below worked:

ssconline says:

i can confirm that installing a language under Settings > Keyboard resets and enables Internet sharing to work again. this is over and above the Fix 1 & Fix 2.
i hope this helps someone else

Bumlistic says:

@ssconline, u r a life saver. It was ur own option that worked for me. I wonder what business adding a keyboard has to do with internet sharing, but it worked for me. Thanks for sharing.

Rolf H says:

I purchased an unlocked AT&T phone from Negri Electronics. I now live in the Philippines. Have no account with AT&T. Received the same error code - and then found your solution which solved the problem. THANK YOU.

This solution didn't work for me. I have a Lumia 920 developer phone that came unlocked. I got a SIM card at the Windows Store, and they activated it. I do have AT&T and do have the plan to use internet sharing (worked on my iPhone last week). I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T trying to resolve my issues. I don't see how I can keep using the phone as my primary device if this doesn't start working. I just keep getting the message to call 611.

Jim Mcqueen says:

Many.... many thanks for this one! I was able to get my "internet sharing" to work with solution # 1. Thanks!!!!

I had intermittent problems with T-Mobile internet sharing on my Nokia 920.

Same message " Connection not shared".

Got it working by switching from LTE to 3G and back to LTE speed.....

Wildflash says:

Anyone on this thread been able to get internet sharing working on a WP8 Tmobile branded device?  I have tried all the tricks on my 925 and 810 but none worked (APN switching, add a keyboard, switch speed in cellular, ##DATA# ).  Thx

Wow.....you dont even understand how much I appreciate this. I can now use my phone to play Xbox one. I was sure this wasn't going to work. Thank you too much.

Oth Mella says:

I can't turn internet sharing on, it says "connection not shared... Internet sharing isn't currently available" what would I do? Its Nokia Lumia 520