Service Alert: Windows Phone Store is having more issues than a magazine rack. [Update 2]

We’ve been getting reports all morning of specific errors when attempting to download apps from the Windows Phone Store, specifically c101a006, c101a007 and 805a01F4. For instance, we’ve had a few inquiries about our app with people having difficulty updating it and being thrown one of the above errors.

For its part, Microsoft is detailing a few Live service outages including one related to Xbox Music on Windows Phone (support.xbox.com/xbox-live-status)  and Facebook connected services (status.live.com). None of those mentions Windows Phone Store directly but we’re certain that something is connected here.

Of course this isn’t a worldwide problem so your Store may be fine. Here in the US we did have an error but retrying to download the app went fine. Others as far away as Norway though have reported the difficulties as well. Just sit tight and we’ll let Microsoft fix what they need to as this is usually addressed in a few hours.

Sound off in comments with your phone, location and if you’re having problems—you know, to make everyone feel better that they’re not alone in this cruel world. Thanks, everyone, who tipped us!

Update: Microsoft has clarified that this ONLY affects PAID apps. It's a problem with Purchasing and Billing. Thanks, Andrew W., for the tip

Update 2: Microsoft now says the issue is resolved.

Comments

David Ray says:

I'm getting really tired of these issues.

jcagga says:

Not just this, OneNote doesn't work either.

"more issues than a magazine rack" Ba dam tss...

WinFan1 says:

Thank you I'll be here all week!

walter1832 says:

Try the veal!

Tjalsma says:

More issues than my relatives at Thanksgiving dinner.

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online(Click on menu Home)

Happy New Year!

ScubaDog says:

And tip your waiters!

dkp23 says:

Also, this has been an issue for almost two weeks for me.  Being able to go on the windowsphone.com website and look at apps and have it dl on my phone through there, haven't been able to.  Was working pre portico.

Same here. At least two weeks!!!!

So many annoying bugs and fuckups with windows phone. I really start to miss ios and Android.

Yes, because the google play store has never had an outage...

conanheath says:

Actually, my Android work phone auto updates unless permissions change. Haven't had one problem in year and half with app store. Now phone is a mess, but not services.

nice feature until it drains your battery constantly checking for updates. had this happen to me so many times back when I had my galaxy nexus

chrgeorgeson says:

You're right MS has done no wrong. Lets take this aggression out on Google?

He said "so many fuckups and bugs...missing android" to which i said that android also has bugs and fuckups, like every single platform, so it's not such a big deal - no aggresion on any plaftorm. Was that too much to follow for you ? Or did i struck a nerve saying something negative about android ?

I agree. It's a constant problem, it seems.

Dark_Halmut says:

Then switch to them instead of moaning on the interwebs.

Mystictrust says:

I take it you replaced both those devices with one WP??

pazces84 says:

No issues to report here... Just downloaded a few apps on my L920.

So if we FINALLY have an xbox release tomorrow (that ALL WP users can play) we wont be able to download it anyway haha Well done MS

ksbanderson says:

Can't download/install WPCentral update. Rogers Lumia 920.

DavidinCT says:

Same here, thought it was a bug with the update and updating the app, So, I uninstalled WPcentral, now I can't reinstall it..... At least WPcentral works fine on IE 10, and with LTE coverage at home, it's pretty quick..

rightisray says:

Only app that I can't download is the update for your app..  Seems the store has a specific grudge at the moment for WPCentral...

Miksup says:

Same thing, just tried to download a few apps and all but wpcentral installed just fine. L920.

spcdog says:

Maybe they don't appreciate hyperbole like "more issues than a magazine rack". :p

tgr42 says:

lol ... do not incur the wrath of the purchasing and billing department administration!

Micah Dawson says:

Didn't ios have like a major issue with their app store and their services a few months back? Lol I just find it hilarious that people miss ios and android over something as minor as this

David Ray says:

One screw up doesn't equal one a month.

Micah Dawson says:

a couple of hours here eand there once a month is annoying but not as bad as when certain IOS features were completely unavaiable such as iMessage

Hiiiiiiiii says:

So what? That makes no sense at all

mindfrost82 says:

With the Facebook announcements minutes away....maybe its a Microsoft/Facebook merger lol

Haven't been able to install Microsoft's Facebook App in Germany all day (over ten hours now), at least over here it doesn't affect only paid apps. (Lumia 820)

ViniBT says:

Can't update Turn N Run. Download completes, but installation doesn't start.

Sparkyscrum says:

Hope it's fixed by tomorrow as my 920 is on the way!

akashpats says:

same error "805a01f4" for both free and pay apps (in india on my Samsung Omnia W)

apocacrux says:

Same here with my L902. I've been trying to install Accuweather, which is free.

fardream says:

805a01f4 for USA today, which is a free app

brandmessage says:

not only paid apps, i cant download speedtest.net

ruddymen says:

All working fine in South Africa

digitalsyrup says:

I just bought the WPCentral app and got an error as well. BOOURNS. Telus network.

gmjupo says:

both error codes in slovakia:(

gmjupo says:

working now:)

upupandawol says:

Working in Georgia :/

lhoylhoy says:

Both errors appear here in saudi arabia

jman#WP says:

also apps 251041aa have issues will let you purchase them but error on install..

lyrebos says:

I have the issue too, not only with paid but also with free apps, and the facebook issue, and also some of my outlook.com contacts doesn't appear on my lumia 920 #sad

PhilAd says:

Also not working in germany. Htc 8x t-mobile branded

shadoweye14 says:

I am getting Problems with Updating WPC and YT Downloader.. YES Its just Paid apps and NOT Paid Games or free stuff as I just downloaded a paid game update normally.. MS needs to get their shit together lol

AriesDog says:

Wonder if it's also related to issues Xbox 360 was having with the new Borderlands DLC last night.

gary gatter says:

Can download games and some apps. Can not download Skype! UK here.

artista06 says:

I just downloaded few of my apps for updates with no error smooth like butter...WP8 rules!!!

Chi28n2k says:

So the "Store unavailable" alert when I tried to redownload the Speedtest.net app, is a figment of my imagination, because its not a paid app?

Yep. I have had ongoing issues on both my L920 and 900. As a matter of fact, I have had connection issues in the WPCentral app a lot lately. It seems to center around connection issues with the tapatalk servers, or so it says. Just seems to be an issue while I am browsing the forums. Anyone else having issues there as well? Oh well...

oddom says:

Why can't MS get this right yet?! Every other week I read about a problem with the market it seems like.

cj_barnhart says:

Same here. I have not been able to access my app history.

xmarklive says:

Its because of the new Facebook windows phone coming later today...

MediaCastleX says:

This won't have any adverse effects on the Wallet..?

starkeyr says:

Just tried to download wpc update got one of the errors listed uk based phone

procen says:

I had no problem with updates and installing new software's Lumia 810

Blkacesvf41 says:

Got the error message when trying to update WP Central app. USA.

Abdul9 says:

I have also been fighting with these error thought it was something wrong with my phone, resetet it what i shouldn't have donw and got my phone bricked just by reseting it. After hours of try and error i got it fixed but i still can't download some other apps, i never knew i had these many apps on my phone, i wonder when i will be done with restoring all my apps. Lumia 920 unlocked and unbranded.

rudikent says:

The problem is also in Denmark still not abel to download from store for over 7 houres :-/ Microsoft has to tune up IF the Will have more poppel to switch to windows phone.

dortyboy says:

I have no issues. I've downloaded about 3 apps today and no issue. I'm in NYC by the way

SergeMcG says:

Apart from image, I wonder how much they lose in revenues when this happens.

DavidinCT says:

Microsoft should fix this NOW. Devs are losing money because people can't buy apps. This is Microsoft, the world leader in server applications, they dont have something that it will fail over to if it goes down ? WTF ?

diplomat696 says:

Couldn't post reviews this morning.

TudorD says:

805a01F4 error when trying to buy wpcentral app.

fpostrow says:

C101a006 all day so far here in the NE US.

Same issue today, Moscow, Russia, Lumia 920, 01f4 error

AlexxZD says:

The same issue for me - I'm not able to update the WPcentral app, ni purchase a paid app. For same of the free apps it's OK.
Lumia 920 non-branded France.

Bartdog says:

I've had recurring issues with music streaming, but no app issues yet.

Ron Gramann says:

Problems in the UK

Tunnelsnakes says:

It's only affecting apps that were purchased previously (both paid and free). I suspect the problem has to do with app or billing history. This affected my games as well.

Medality says:

Step 1: Decide to buy the WPCentral app this morning
Step 2: Do it on windowsphone.com
Step 3: Wait for the site to tell you that it couldn't tell your phone to download the app
Step 4: Use the newly received e-mail to download it
Step 5: Experience Windows Phone Store issues
Step 6: Uninstall the trial app thinking that it will fix this
Step 7: Experience Windows Phone Store issues

This is what happened to me (fr-ca marketplace, WP7).

fpostrow says:

Looks like the store issue is fixed for me. Yay!

apocacrux says:

Seems to be back up! Ontario, Canada, L920

TruPlaya187 says:

@apocacrux, did you download a paid app or just a free app because I'm still having issues with the paid apps. Quebec, Canada, HTC 8X

apocacrux says:

I was able to download both, i just reset my phone so i was downloading all my apps and games. I hope its working for you now.

No issue whatsoever.. Downloaded three updates including WPcentral and installed another app- tasks..
Smooth as butter!!
Indian marketplace.

Montpbm says:

No issues here, but my wife is having issues with here Android everyday..

1jaxstate1 says:

So is your left hand your mistress?

clivectmob says:

It's not just paid apps, i've been trying to download skype all day today and have been getting these errors, skype is not a paid app!

Mafiatounes says:

Same issues since yesterday both on my 710 & 920 (Belgium)

Blkacesvf41 says:

Update: Seems to be back online. I was just able to update WP Central app with no problems about 10 seconds ago. Chicago, IL btw.

Ron Gramann says:

Don't think this issue is limited to paid apps. I published my first app this morning and it still hasn't appeared in the store.

WinFan1 says:

I don't think it ever went down for me. Been downloading music and apps since yesterday.

vincentw56 says:

Still having issues trying to install a recently purchased app. USA store.

Had issues all morning downloading an app. Just tried again nearly 5 hours later and it worked fine. Odd thing was that it purchased the app no problem; I got the purchase confirmation this morning. It just couldn't download. In the US by the way.

Grizlyadams says:

007 for me here in the UK.

installed another random app (Start Chart) to test install - 10MB and installed fine.

the "Wifi Network" notification stayed on screen all the time when installing Star CHart - during  the WPCentral update that dissappears just before it fails.

uninstalled WPCentra and it wont reinstall fromd the phone - fails at purchase; Service not available error: 805a01f4. this happens whether I "try" or "buy"

tried online and get a "try again later" message in both IE10 and chrome.

so now I have no WPCentral on my phone . . .. doh!

touchpad4760 says:

Anyone having this behavior: the Marketplace tile on my home screen will show some number - indicating updates are available for some app I own - but when I tap the tile and it takes me to the start screen for the Marketplace, there are no updates shown there!
This has been happening to me for 1-2 weeks now.   And just happened again when I saw this thread.
Anyone else?

Miksup says:

I had 3 updates on that live tile, all but wpc installed ok.

touchpad4760 says:

But I don't even have anything to install.   Today the Marketplace tile showed "2" but then once inside there was no note about pending updates.

Last week I think I showed "3" and there was just 1 waiting.   This is all new behavior over the last couple weeks.
Lumia 900 / AT&T.

apocacrux says:

Check your settings menu, if you happen to have any that are just a path and not the actual settings name then it could be what the update is for, which you can never get. If that's not the issue then you have a corrupt download for something else.

touchpad4760 says:

apo, thanks for trying to help, but I'm not able to infer what you mean by "any that are just a path and not the actual settings name."
I looked in Settings, but there's alot of stuff under there.  What "any" are you referring to.   Have mercy and be specific - I'm a smart phone user of just 8 months :)

thx.

clivectmob says:

It seems to be working in the UK now, managed to re-install skype finally :)

chadwick611 says:

Still not working here. New Orleans trying to install metro.am which is being renamed WPGram and pictures lab, Both will not install.

New Orleans on TMo here, just started working again on my 8X.

DaHui623 says:

Still not working for me.  Focus S on AT&T.  Find My Phone isn't working either.

TudorD says:

it's working now ✌

chadwick611 says:

just tried and yes its working thanks for the heads up

satpal123 says:

Just confirming that its now working in Australia :)

tma7 says:

Sorry but in POLAND problem is reinstal Nokia Maps & Drive !! it's free !! :) and this same error !! im flustrated.... i'm using lumia 920 white polkomtel software... any other apps downloading  from store it's fine. Only with uninstaled Nokia's Maps & Drive its problem. any idea ??

edit: after all day.. works again !!! :)

AlexxZD says:

It's working fine for me now :)
L920 France

hanifh says:

same issues here in kenya. the wp8 app store sucks in comparison to Androids. not feeling this phone and its apps at all. heading back to my gnote 2. sorry win phone but I tried!

jml3_uk says:

Seems to be sorted here in the UK, L820 :-)

MMFF77 says:

Happen only on paid apps is lie still had all afternoon to download youtube app microsoft's own and only spent 4 hours that is given, but it happened to me and many app in several days. And already now this app youtube microsoft was my last choice but to my dismay there some app such as (dance hub) when I try to watch a video asking this app, anyone know why, so I have to install my favorite youtube app and microsoft app precisely because some of it is stupid.

Nik Rolls says:

Had the same issues here. Looked at commerce.microsoft.com and saw two 'Pending' transactions that should have gone through. Requested a callback and their very helpful rep put through the transactions manually, after which everything worked again.

[OFF TOPIC]
hi guys, sorry if this is a noobie question, not sure if it happens to me only, but I never receive app updates notifications as push notifications... At first I got them when I launched store app then I would see the number of updates on the live-tile. Now it only shows when I go to that specific app page on the store (that has an update available) then the badge appears on the tile. I've browsed thru settings to see if maybe I'd changed anything and therefore didn't get any more notifications but it all looks unchanged... It's annoying having to visit every single app's page on store to check if they have updates... Anyone else experiencing this issue?

L920 - UK

shadoweye14 says:

It couuld be that you are on constant Battery Saver or your Settings have been blocked to run Background apps if all that does not work try reinstalling the app and if that does not work in afraid then you have to go meet Mr Soft Reset :)

Easy: open the Windows Store app on your Phone, and you have a new line on the entry screen: Updates available. Also, if you have the Windiws Store on the Tile Screen, you have a small counter beside, showing you how many updatesa re waiting for your Phone. I hope this helps, Tom

Thank you for your help @shadoweye14 and @Thomas Holzknecht. I really appreciate it.
A soft reset solved my problem.
cheers

fokaiguy says:

Windows having syncing issue with email accounts too!

kimlo91 says:

I haven't had any issues.

shadoweye14 says:

If you restart your phone it fixes the issue

funkymagicuk says:

I had issues when attempting to update the WPCentral app ONLY, throughout yesterday.

Updated fine this morning.

Location UK.

I'm still having c101a006 issues on my end, funny because it didn't START until yesterday...

Antistatic says:

The issue with Store on my Lumia 920 is a little different.... It doesn't alert me on app-updates anymore.
If one of my apps have an update available in Store, then Store doesn't tell me either on the live tile or inside the app about the updates. The only way to find out about the update now, is when i search for the app in Store and then look for the Update button inside.
Anyone else have the same problem?