Robotek is another beautiful game for Windows Phone 8

Robotek for Windows Phone 8

One benefit of Windows Phone 8 sharing the same NT kernel as its big brother Windows 8 is the ease at which apps and games can be made for the other. I remember hearing that about 70-80% of the code can be shared with the other (I’m sure one of you will correct me on this). So as one platform grows, the other will follow suit.

Here’s another fun game that started out on Windows 8 and has now made the jump to Windows Phone 8 – Robotek.

Robotek comes from the dev studio Hexage, which has made popular games for both Windows Phone and Windows 8 like Radiant and Radiant Defense. Robotek follows a similar graphical and musical style to those games, but is a blend of strategy, action, and RPG. The game also offers free online multiplayer, which gives it an addictive play style. Here are some bulletin points to get you stoked for the game:

• FREE online MULTIPLAYER.
  • Unique blend of strategy, action and RPG.
  • More than 200 levels spread all around the world.
  • Rewarding skill system with more than 30 levels.
  • 9 upgradable slot symbols to fit your own style of play.
  • 4 special abilities including the devastating Nuke.
  • Play thrilling hotseat duels with your friends!
  • Online hall of fame - Your scores can only grow.
  • Signature sound by Kubatko

First impression from the game is positive. The artistic style really is beautiful to look out. We’re big fans of Radiant Defense and Robotek is tickling us in all the right ways. Be sure to check back in a week or two for our full review of the game.

The game is totally, 100% free with no advertisements. There are in-app purchases, but the developer assures us that you won’t need them to enjoy and beat the game. You can download Robotek right here in the Windows Phone Store, use the QR code below, or if you’re in the Windows Phone Central app by swiping to the right.

qr: robotek

Thanks for the tip Jonathan D.

Comments

VanillaFrog says:

No link in the app?

Sam forgot it...give it a few mins and refresh the story as it has been added.

Sam Sabri says:

I am Sam, I forget. I sorry.

VanillaFrog says:

Haha. All good. Thanks.

buggyglint says:

Don't you know Sam, you never go full retard!

rockstarzzz says:

......and this is your windows phone *a start screen where Sam forgets to pin everything* ;)

This game was great on the Touchpad, glad to see it on Windows Phone and Windows 8

carlosrdd says:

Hell yea very good on touchpad!!!

pdch says:

LOVED it on my 64gb touchpad!

IamDefiler says:

Agreed but to "beat" the game you pretty much have to make in-ap purchaces.

Sephinator says:

I got no Windows 8 nor Windows Phone 8 development experience, but my guess would be that the big differences is the input and store integration,
EDIT: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj681693(v=vs.105).aspx
^ Some ways WP8 can share with W8.

RyanDaLyon says:

Been playing this game since the touchpad days! Beautifully written!

tarzanmarzan says:

My heart soared with images of fighter planes turning into mechs... Then I read the article. >:3 Lol

:) Been there myself...

sanien says:

Oh yeah! I was like ROBOTECH... ah Robotek... ah sigh :-(

Had this on my Galaxy Nexus and finished it on my PlayBook.
It's true that u can beat the game without in-app purchases at all.
Took me a couple weeks to finish it so it's a lot of fun.
Highly recommended!

nizzon says:

So it didn't really "Star out on win8" then, like the article says.

pdch says:

yeah, it was on the Touchpad right around release....WAY before Win8.

Reflexx says:

Super fun on WinRT. Happy to see it on WP8.

kimlo91 says:

Everyone should download all the apps that get reviewed here. It will show support to developers and help us get more apps in future.

Was awesome on touchpad.

Jay Bennett says:

Still love this game, just because it can genuinely suck hours of my life when i need it it (on the train) :D

Sam Sabri says:

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL

London Jr says:

the large tile the developer made for these apps are great, at least on this and radiant defense...

WoWNyx says:

Fantastic game. Sad though that you got to spend to get better stuff.. Which makes multiplayer imbalance for those who do not want to buy coins.
But overall the game is fantastic

If you lose to ur friend coz he had money and you had skills, then it's ok :D
Besides, it will be sweeter if u can beat him, right?

why does the article say this game "started on windows 8"? I played this game last year on my android-phone.
That aside, the game is nice, but you'll reach a point where progress is really slow unless you pay.

Well, within the Microsoft ecosystem it stared on WIn 8 and moved to Windows Phone 8.

Sam Sabri says:

What Dan said, I should have clarified better, but c'mon...what other operating systems do you actually care about? ;)

ggonzalez777 says:

Wow, this was my only regret when I left Android. I'm more than thrilled that its WP!!!! And on windows 8, epic!!!!! Just need viper smart start and I my WP experience will be complete. :-)

theflew says:

I think by started they mean was a Windows 8 game first and ported to WP8.  I don't think they mean it wasn't or isn't on any other platform first.

Jazmac says:

Checking it for myself.  The reviews all seem to be stellar though.

Please, if someone from Hexage are reading this, publish your Windows Phone and Windows 8 games here in Brazil!!
I know about the process to get the Brazilian Game Rating and I can help you. Please.

Dethzilla says:

GET THIS GAME!!! I owned the HP Touchpad and the only thing I did on that thing was surf the Web, Watch you tube and play this game.  It's fun and addictive... and as soon as you think you have a strategy to win every single one... you get your ass kicked.

Thank you so much for bringing this to WP... I'll be click on ads to show support.

I played this game on my bb playbook. Good to see this game appearing on windows

Wow, very impressive and fun so far. Better than most of the games I've tried on WP8.

VidJuhEffex says:

Really fun game! BUT (huge BUT here) there is a recharger node to get more points (you spend points to play enemies and lose/win them depending on outcome) but the recharger node is only unlocked after a purchase. So while you don't have to buy a lot of in-app purchases, you will need at least one if you ever run out of points.

tpitts15 says:

has anybody figured out how to duel a specific friend by their username? I can't figure find the option anywhere.