Live coverage

HTC Windows Phone live blog, live from New York City

HTC One W8

HTC press event August 19th for One W8 Windows Phone?

Verizon to get HTC One (W8) for Windows Phone on August 21

Add a personal touch to your orders with Amazon's 3D printing store

This $300 case will let the Nokia Lumia 1020 go to the bottom of the sea

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Discover and 3D print your very own dinosaur with this free Windows 8 app

Microsoft exec hints at new HTC Windows Phone at Computex

Take your Lumia 1020 underwater like Cousteau with this $299 Watershot case

HTC W8 to reportedly include BoomSound and duo cameras

HTC W8 reported to be a 'flagship' Windows Phone 8.1 release for Verizon

Nokia celebrates the Easter holiday with edible technology

Pin a big old clock on your Windows Phone 8.1 Start screen with Clock Hub

Software

Sprint confirms Windows Phone 8.1 update for HTC 8XT and Samsung ATIV S Neo this summer

HTC rumored to be building a Windows Phone version of the new Android flagship

Windows Phone market share surpasses BlackBerry in the U.S.

Editorials

Windows Phone is losing some hardware differentiation as Microsoft woos Android manufacturers

HTC confirms 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1

WPCentral News

See this: Nokia shipped Lumia Icon review units in mega style

Nokia and HTC settle all litigation, sign massive patent and technology deal

German court shuts down one of Nokia's patent suits against HTC

Gibbage Cases, 3D printed protection for your HTC 8X

Gibbage Cases

Gibbage Cases is an interesting home grown venture that takes advantage of 3D printing to produce a protective case for your HTC 8X Windows Phone. The cases are the creation of Kevin "Gibbage" Miller that have been designed with three principals in mind. Protection, Design and Function.

The Gibbage Case protects the soft outer coating and corners of the 8X by creating a small buffer between the Windows Phone and harsh surfaces. The design is minimal to complement the HTC 8X's native design and the case hopes to be functional by giving the 8X a little more grip, easier access to the buttons all the while not interfering with wireless charging (Verizon models) and other core phone functions.

Gibbage Case for the HTC 8X

The Gibbage Cases are a work in progress with limited color selections. Apparently the dyes in the 3D printing process will leach into the soft case of the 8X. While the cases are only available for the 8X, Miller is working on designs for the Nokia Lumia 920.

Depending on the design and color, the Gibbage Cases are running in the neighborhood of $25-30. The Gibbage Case does make a nice first impression as being a stylish case for your HTC 8X. We've got a review unit heading our way and we'll get a review up as soon as possible.

In the meantime you can find out more on the Gibbage Case here and offer your thoughts on the cases in this Windows Phone Central Forums discussion.

Comments

abel920 says:

That looks like something Spiderman would use.

Tafsern says:

Looks awesome. Like Spidermans phone :)

cdbstl76 says:

The second one looks like the back of that frog that keeps its young in its' back skin until they mature.

gibbage says:

Interesting way of looking at it and never though of that...  Is that good or bad?  Heh.

Fowley says:

I really like those .. somthing different for a change. Great stuff!

Jazmac says:

I dig the entrepreneurial spirit out there.

Oooh that design to accentuate the HTC name, beats logo.

Sam Sabri says:

Want level over 9000!!!!

xboxonthego3 says:

I would get the first one in red or maybe black for my black HTC 8x. That would look so cool!

gibbage says:

Currently color is not possible. Shapeways uses a dye on the white plastic that will LEACH into the soft cover on the 8X. You can buy a white case and paint it yourself. I did that myself and it worked perfectly.

Wevenhuis says:

Creative, but I alreasy see functional problems such as dust and sewing thread collections on the open edges of the case. Shirt term nice, long term hygenic ugly?

gibbage says:

I have used two different cases for about 2 months on the phone.  There is no problem with dust/dirt collection due to the tight fit, and also the design allows you to take the case off regularly for inspection and cleaning.  The edges are beveled so I never had it "catch" on my pockets when I pulled the phone our or put it in.
As for long term hygene, you have a point.  After I took my case off after a month of use, the area's under the case were clean, and area's exposed were dirty.  This is an issue with the soft touch coating the phone has.  Your only option is to put on a full body case, or let the ENTIRE phone get dirty, or just take the case off and clean it regularly.

How about gears of war style ones for Nokia Lumia 920

gibbage says:

I would LOVE to do video game theme's and plan on doing so, but its a tight rope to walk.  I cant (or not willing to risk) use copywritten material or trademarks.  This is a garage project and I cant afford lawyers.  =)  On the otherhand, "fair use" can go pritty far...

I would buy a gears of war one and I'm waiting on the 920 ones to buy one and if all those skinit style sites that are stickers can make NBA NFL ect then I dnt see a problem I'd buy a Dallas mavericks one too

gibbage says:

Thank you for the great feedback on my project!  You can follow this on the forums at http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/213338-custom-3d-printed-cases-now-available-8x.html or on my blog at http://www.gibbageart.com/case/

You could make a GEARS OF WAR style one that would be badass

jlynnm350z says:

Ugliest thing I had ever seen!!

gibbage says:

Then design a better one.  If you want, send me the design and I can model it for you.

U have a twitter?

gibbage says:

No, but I have a wordpress blog at www.gibbageart.com/case
What I have to say cant fit in twitter's limits......  Im very talkitive...

pmhgeneral says:

How about Nokia 822...

gibbage says:

Sorry.  Verizon boned the 820 on that one.  Right now I can only support a few phones, so I need to make sure they are the most widely available phones.  Maybe is Nokia released the shell file like the 820, but it cost's me a lot of time and money for each phone I support.

namflow says:

Just bought one. Hopefully it ships soon!