Hands on with the 7.8 OS update for AT&T's Nokia Lumia 900

Although Microsoft has not yet said anything official on the Windows Phone 7.8 Global Rollout, we are expecting devices to be begin getting updates around January 31st.

As we reported yesterday, Nokia has uploaded their OS update for the AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 (review), one of the most high profile devices of 2012. We decided to take it for a spin.

The update is what it was rumored to be: new Tile options and a few other additions. There are no surprises here, folks.

Other new features include:

• New Accent colors, matching Windows Phone 8, bringing the total to 20 + 1
  • Bing Wallpaper of the day, which will auto-update your lockscreen image. Sadly developers to not have access to this, meaning we don’t expect 3rd party 7.8 apps to have this feature.
  • New boot screen with updated WIndows Phone logo
  • New Office logo, though OneNote is not a seperate app like in WP8

There is no Wi-Fi keep-alive feature, no SMS-call reject and Internet Explorer as far as we can tell is exactly the same. In addition, Office and Zune Music were not updated to either current version or with their rebranding.

The oddest thing is how AT&T opted to have the “look” of the 7.8 match 7.5, meaning on a fresh install you can’t even tell there are different Tile sizes. Users will essentially have to discover this new change on their own.

Although we may sound a bit down on 7.8, we will emphasize that one of the biggest “experiences” with Windows Phone 8 is those new Tiles and Accent colors. If you think about it, it’s the number one thing you interact with on a daily basis. In other words, although this update is light on new features, the ones included will go a long way in making your phone “feel new”. That’s just from our personal experience.

AT&T has not given an official date on this update for the Lumia 900 or other Windows Phones, though seeing as the update is waiting on Nokia’s servers we believe AT&T will be one of the first carriers to deliver to users.

Stay tuned for more.

Comments

J4rrod says:

Stupid troll go somewhere else you moron

HarryStyle says:

Love my job, since I've been bringing in $5600… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online(Click on menu Home)

Happy New Year!

birdman_38 says:

I've been bringing in $5600... pimping your Mom.

Idk if you did this on purpose, but you replied to yourself...

aubreyq says:

That was the joke, bro.

hysonmb says:

First time the "first" thing is funny. Well done.

Oxygen22 says:

I loved it!!!

poddie says:

This WAS funny. Thanks

"AT&T has given an official date on this update for the Lumia 900 or other Windows Phones, though seeing as the update is waiting on Nokia’s servers we believe AT&T will be one of the first carriers to deliver to users."  Should be has not given.  Also office has a newer icon on my lumia...idk what that could mean.

rcballa12 says:

I don't remember the Office versions from before but on 7.8 the versions are all 14.5 for Office apps

Dante X says:

Really? Is just that?
All this months in development and all they do is just the tile sizes and the new accent colours????

kinaton says:

Yep. Cosmetic only.. Shocking.

Unforgiven2 says:

That's more than enough for WP7.
In time - if the Force is strong in WP7 - MS will bring some other features from WP8...

HNNNNNGHHH says:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. There aren't anymore WP8 features that aren't HW dependent. (IE10 COULD be an exception, however)

WP8Expert says:

What about screenshot support? That is not hardware-dependent as even 1st-gen devices can run homebrew screenshot apps.

Dante X says:

Exactly, that was my point...

TK2011 says:

Like Mr Rubino said, the new tile system is a BIG improvement. I have both Wp7.5 and wp8 and i can tell you it's the biggest change worth getting. The other main thing I notice is the speed but that's due to hardware difference. You can't do anything about that without upgrading hw.

phillibuster says:

I don't know about you, but the biggest change I'd love to get is, oh, I dunno, app compatibility? My phone is less than a year old and already there are apps I can't install? Gee, thanks.

expectafight says:

For what it's worth, my Phone is 2 months old and I can't download apps that I had on WP7.  It's a double edged sword.

paulheu says:

Obviously MSFT was going to wait a bit before making WP7.8 available. They have from the get so said it would be 'some time after the release of WP8' where 'some time' would obviously mean not soon after. I think the three months they took makes sense from their perspective. It has given people an incentive to jump to a WP8 device.

Running WP7.8 on my L800 makes a big, no HUGE difference in the experience, The tiles sizes are really a life/device changer in this respect. Nokia has also added some extra bits such as the Bluetooth Filetransfer options and some other stuff. I have no doubt there will me more where that came from.

In all honesty, with the rumours of the new Lumia products I am quite happy with the 800 as it is now. While I have the impression WP7.8 is a bit more demanding as far as CPU usage goes it's still quite snappy and a joy to use. I might jump to a 620 in few weeks waiting for whatever Nokia is no doubt going to annouce at MWC to move to a bigger/better/stronger device later this year. WP7.8 has definately made me want a WP8 device sooner rather then later.

aubreyq says:

Did MS ever list what 7.8 would bring other than the Start screen? I don't think so.

geoken says:

You're right, they never said it. Some people were just hoping that they would do right by their early adopters and biggest fans.

Cellus13 says:

I know right. People shouldn't be surprised. Its obvious when Microsoft just kept restating the "new start screen" over and over.

That's what I was thinking too.  At least give us an updated browser.  Looks like 7.8 is going to arrive with a limp, wet wimper.  All these months of shoving your early supporters to the side only to give them the table scraps.  Thanks Microsoft.  You're a pal.

IM4CHRST says:

That is the exact reason why I am going to jump ship to BB10. At least for now, I am going to do to MS what they did to me. I'm sure I will come back, unless BB10 totally blows me away like WP7 did. I wrote MS about it trying to get more that just the same "early 2013" mumbo jumbo. They actually had the nerve to reply to my email with the exact same statements I had sent them regarding the "early 2013 release" saying they hoped that the Tim Myerson comments would suffice for now. I didn't even ask for a release date but that they simply give us more info than just a vague comment that they only gave because they finally got pressured into it. I also wanted to mad a comment about trying to make us early adopters feel appreciated. They didn't respond to my 2nd email telling them that they never even answered the questions I had initially sent them. I get the feeling Ballmer is getting a little heat from the board anyway, not because of WP but other things not quite going so well. Maybe we can have a change of command and MS will actually care about existing customers instead of worrying about how to woo new ones.

sayonical says:

This is a huge disappointment for me. I'd much rather Nokia/MS give me a voucher as an apology for their ridiculous over the top smartphone beta test is over launch of the Lumia 900 so I can actually upgrade to a phone that has the features we expect in a smartphone. This consolation update is a cold slap to the face. #rant

TheJoester09 says:

I'd much rather win the lottery and never have to work again, but it's not going to happen.

+1000 Could not have expressed it any better sir! @sayonical

MediaCastleX says:

If you really want, I can give you an apology and consolation if it makes any difference... ;)

BSobotta says:

I have no idea why you bought the Nokia 900 when we all knew WP8 would be here sooner rather than later. If you think Windows Phone has slapped you in the face, you better not ever get a non nexus android. What a slap I felt with EVERY android device I ever owned.

oddom says:

Please share your list with me because as far as I know games and most apps are still supported for most android phones..wp was the no compromise, beta test is over, amazing phone that was the best of all worlds yet if u don't have windows 8 u don't get certain apps or features and this is still a fairly new OS. android adds new features yes but most of them don't notice or care because the phone and apps still work three versions later. I never seen people get left behind as bad as this 7.5 to 8 jump, there is no incentive to make new apps for wp 7 now and that's gonna hurt some customer loyalty.

codylew says:

Hate to say it but i must agree. Looks like I will be making my move to Android. Love the WP OS but Android has a very nice selection of apps and even games that support bluetooth controllers. This is great for someone that travels as much as I do. iOS offers no controller options and a tiny screen and WP has no good games (just crummy puzzlers) and no future hope of any good games. Also I bought the L900 becuase I was watching Nokia owners get all these apps and support while my focus got nothing. I did not use my upgrade because i wanted to wait for WP8 to see if it changed anything but it did not. What has changed it Android and JB offers a much improved and well rounded OS so that is where I will be going. JK Good Android devices like the GS3 are $200 with a 2 year contract which is rediculous and I didnt even spend that much on my L900 out of contract.

tbird635a says:

I'll share my $0.02 . I bought a Motorola Cliq XT android 3 years ago. I Was promised an upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1 for over 12 months by Motorola themselves. . The upgrade went to beta  and they decided not to upgrade it.
Well, I ended up with a custom 2.3 ROM  which made it infinitely more usable and stable. (it was unstable from day 1) , and made it into the phone it should have been.. a full 18 months after I bought it.
As for that Android phone,. I fired it up the other day to find 50 % of the apps I'd purchased are neither supported nor available any longer for 2.3 , including Pay Pal among the big ones.
It's justy a matter of time before someone over at xda hacks windows phone 8 onto most 7.5 devices. (Already been done on a few phones)

tbird635a says:

Doniam9 says:

if you dont mind me asking what features are you looking for from WP8, I made the job and it pretty much feels like WP7 besides the start screen and the lock screen. The big thing I can think of would be kid zone and skype

AgentVinod says:

Completely agree...!!! I was one of the early buyers of Lumia 800 when it arrived. This update is like cold slap for buying this phone.

1jaxstate1 says:

Sad, but ill take it. I was wanting lock screen notifications, but ill live.

androidnav says:

I was hoping for the same thing

mtg1974 says:

Stupid question: does 7.8 get rid of the gutter on the Start screen?

Yes. Notice the lack of arrow at the top fo the screen. That's how the "made room" for the new Tile sizes.

mtg1974 says:

I told you it was a stupid question. In my defense though, the picture you mention doesn't show in the WP app unless I go to pictures and look for it. Nevertheless, thanks for the reply!

the arrow is visible on the end of the main menu.. just a microsoft trick..

cadaov says:

Yes it does, the arrow shows on the bottom now

CJ Thunder says:

They really need to disable that arrow. My OCD doesn't like that one thing there.

MediaCastleX says:

...and that'll be the first indication of a refresh. ;)

Nope the new Zune experience is essential for me as well as the array of features including live lock screen, keep-WiFi, and many other useful features. I have not tried it but if the only new features are the resizable title and new color accent, then that long wait on the first place?

We've speculated in the past the 7.8 was a very "last minute" decision, meaning it wasn't even coded yet back in June.

1jaxstate1 says:

I thought there were reports of 7.8 for a long long time. Where do you get last minute from?

Because it was more than obvious that Microsoft made this update up right before the Summit. No one in the biz knew about it because it didn't exist/wasn't planned. It was to help with the blow-back stemming from the 900 just being launched.

Sure the OS has been floating around for the last 2 months, but it takes a lot of coding/testing before a rollout. That and the WP team were focused on WP8.

ThePKReddy says:

They should've offered wp8 updates to older devices at Microsoft stores... Done by the pros so as to not brick phones. They dropped the ball.

geoken says:

The long wait was because they didn't want WP 7.8 to dimish the launch of wp8 devices.

AhmedShuhaib says:

Spotted new office 2013 logo in video.

jasonxz says:

Rooms?  Kid's Corner?  Please?

cadaov says:

Nope, but surely you'll get Share over bluetooth

paulheu says:

Bluetooth share is afaik a Nokia exclusive and developed by Nokia in-house as an add on app for WP7.8

pankaj981 says:

And that doesn't work on the att 900

MediaCastleX says:

I think rooms will be like if you were on another platform, meaning if a WP8 user adds you then you're in but you won't be able to set one up on your 7.8 phone...my brother added me to his family room. ;)

ousooner314 says:

Bummer.. I was hoping they'd slip in a few features like screenshot support, wi-fi keep-alive, and lockscreen support.

thinkdan says:

I think someone said here a few days ago, that in 7.8 you can set custom ringtones for SMS and email?

jens_v says:

He lied. Not possible.

theefman says:

Wonder how many devs will bother updating their apps esp seeing as WP7 devices are basically EOL.

MediaCastleX says:

Noooo...they're still good. :'(

hysonmb says:

MS needs to clarify thier stance on this. Back in 2010 when WP7 was announced, they said there would be 2 versions of Windows Phone supported at any given time. That may have changed but no one has come out and said so.
Right now, that makes WP7 and WP8. It's similar to how they work with Windows. Just because a new version is on the street doesn't mean the previous version is EOL.

eric12341 says:

Not really, support will continue for at least 18 months on all devices. More devices are still being released.

Adiliyo says:

this.

while the cosmetic change is nice, and i agree that the new UI will make old phones feel fresh, the kernel changes are going to make it near impossible to reccommend anyone to buy a wp 7.x device (like the 1saleaday deal on the 900) as you are buying into a dead platform.
as wp8 gains steam expect all support for wp7.x to stop from the handful of 3rd party developers, including nokia.

i get why the change was necessary, but adding in some kind of emulation layer for basic wp8 apps would have made it a little easier to swallow for people stuck with 7.x devices.

lantern20 says:

Does this update contain a roll up of previous updates and bug fixes?

phirefly says:

Every WP7.x version rolls to the next so yes.

I just want screenshot support please.

+1000 for screenshot support in 7.8. It would've been a very nice feature.

I've got screenshot support in my 7.5 TITAN. Then again, I do developer unlock my phones so was able to get a screenshot app sideloaded. Sucks for those that don't have a dev unlocked phone :(

Orlok1138 says:

So will Zune's "live tile" still show photo of last band to play? Does your avatar still bounce on its tile?

I installed the 7.8 version that was on navfirm last year, and yes, Zune will display photo and name of the last artist you played

glassadam says:

I really really miss that feature in wp8. As soon as you stop playing music, the music tile goes all green and lifeless. A shame, too, since the music live tile, while playing, looks really great.

dirtbound says:

Pretty bare bones... But this is plenty to get me by until contract renewal and second Gen WP8 devices. Flashed my 900 last night and am happy with the minor changes... Having 18 tiles on the screen is nice. :-P

scsgoal says:

I assume that Uverse Mobile app does not truly work, since the version on 7.5 stopped working months ago and they said they were dropping support.  Silly that they kept it in this update.

This was supposed to be the "Hero" device. #IMO this feels like we were def part of the "beta testers". Nokia and MS if not any other phone, this should have def been the one to receive something that resembles WP8 in terms of features besides a damn start screen refresh. So much for devices being supported up to 18months.

Orlok1138 says:

Not that it'll happen but there is suppose to be one more update after 7.8.

geoken says:

If this is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised if that 'one more update' does nothing more then add some color options.

MediaCastleX says:

Really...have they stopped supporting devices? I thought Nokia was still banking on 7 ;)

veii says:

No point in upgrading. I like the gutter, and if they haven't even changed Zune to XBox music then its pointless. I like the smoothness of my Titan though so I may still use it from time to time.

Residing says:

I like the gutter too; I will upgrade, but how soon is the question.  I just have to decide if I like the gutter more than having the option to use Steel, Olive,Crimson, or Indigo as color choices for my tiles.

you can make the gutter yourself easily by only using medium and small tiles :)

Residing says:

Yeah, but the gutter just isn't 'the gutter' without the arrow in the circle :)

glassadam says:

I liked the gutter as well, but now that I've got the new start screen I wouldn't wanna go back.... So much more functional and I've grown to liking the way it looks compared to the gutter, too.

schlubadub says:

Yeah, I'm concerned the tiles will be too massive without the gutter as everything increases inside by ~30%

lippidp says:

Not great, but I'll take it!

CJ Thunder says:

Can we start talking about 7.9 yet?

schlubadub says:

Dude, this is the last update ever...

lewish327 says:

Will I get the 7.8 update for my HTC radar c110e on the 31st im unlocked but on Tesco mobile

schlubadub says:

No one is guaranteed on the 31st... But you will get it in the next 1-3 months

jlynnm350z says:

Woot woot, now wasn't that worth all the whining. Woot woot. Now you can change tile sizes. It's really not that exciting folks.

MediaCastleX says:

It's the simple things really... ;)

eric12341 says:

I like the new video intro now and steel is what I'm using on my 8X.

RaRa85 says:

So I'm really happy about the update but really? We had to wait seven months for this. I only stayed cause I really love Windows Phone. So whatever, I'm happy.

pierrerv says:

I hope T-Mobile updates the HD 7. I'll take whatever update they give me.

procen says:

Me too for my htc radar!

venom5150 says:

Dianel, I just saw the video and that is the new Office logo. Also, doesn't 7.8 now allow Nokia over the air updates which in theory they have access to modify our phone how they wish (to some extent)? Will OTA updates require carrier approval? Can they bypass carriers?

Residing says:

Pretty much confirms what WPCentral has reported on previously with regards to what 7.8 would bring, so no who has been reading this site for the past year should be surprised by what this update brings.

With that said, I have absolutely no regrets of my purchase of new Lumia 900, off contract, in November 2012.  From what I can see, the differences between 7.8 and 8.0 just aren't that significant to me and my day to day usage.  I will however, purchase the new Lumia when it is released in November 2013.

I'm enjoying 7.5, and look forward to using 7.8 :)

schlubadub says:

I totally agree. Here's hoping for a Lumia with 32GB + microSD

Nik Rolls says:

Starting off with old-size tiles isn't an AT&T thing. When I manually installed the generic 7.8 update it was the same.

blackdaemon says:

I updated my L800 to 7.8 some time ago using NaviFirm. What I noticed is that the sound issue that existed in 7.5 version before last Nokia FW update, is back in all its glory in 7.8. Very disappointing. Low volume and almost no bass and treble while playing music. Did anybody noticed yet? Same on L900?

Ronny Fallas says:

If the device doesn't have Tango, will the 7.8 include the bug fixes and improvements from Tango?

pankaj981 says:

If u flash it using navifirm then yes, if using zune to update then it will update your device to tango first and then 7.8

schlubadub says:

The official update (don't use navifirm) will include tango and all prior updates

gerbir21 says:

Looking forward to getting 7.8 through Rogers. If im not mistaken, I remember a slide being posted here about a post 7.8 update (7.x/7.9) that would eventually follow. Hopefully this is the case so MS can squeeze in additional features (ie. Screenshots, rooms, WiFi stay-alive, etc...) but of all of them, please give the ability to copy/paste cells in Excel. It makes NO sense that I had this feature on 6.5 but not in WP7.x or even WP8. Ridiculous.

schlubadub says:

Sorry, but it's not going to happen

How do you know that?

beebl3brox says:

Would it really have been that hard to add wifi keep alive? Is the concept so hideously complicated that it really couldn't have been included? The mind boggles.

pankaj981 says:

TBH after using WP8 and the new tile system on my L900 I agree with MS on upgrading the start screen as one of the best updates. The tiles now look so lively and Lumia 900 was fast anyways. I have actually started playing with my 900 more than my current 810. Wifi keep alive could have been implemented and lock screen notifications...and WP7.8 would be complete, but not having them doesn't change much. The update is a welcome change!

SleepyTheDon says:

Great No cloud back up no way to back up my game files & move them to my WP8 Device... Thats F**ked up!

Guessing they left the titles as the middle size is because if you updated someone's say messaging title to double wide it would screw with the home screen layout you already have. I would expect brand new phones pre loaded with 7.8 to have double wide titles in its image as that's a fresh start, not an update to existing hardware.

LaNiQuE says:

Good thing im more excited for a start screen then anything else

Cellus13 says:

Well you asked for it and you seen it! Now can we stop asking about it whenever Ms mentions anything related to windows phone?

ej1024 says:

Im not sure why people are not happy about this update,a lot of the new stuff wee see are compatible,according to msft..for me my lumia 900 does its jobs for my everyday use,I dont see my self doing something different with wp8.. Im glad Zune is still Zune..im still able to play and drag music from my PC to my lumia unlike Xbox music.. Can't wait to have those small and large tiles..

procen says:

I missed Zune for easy playlist. :-(

Rick Smits says:

I hope we get a 7.9 update that adds a few things..

schlubadub says:

Nope, we won't

How do you know that?

Does anyone know if 7.8 includes the option to edit MMS settings? I know it's a long shot. This is a must for me on Straight Talk.

rcballa12 says:

Nope, just Group text on/off and SMS center number

Corleones says:

On the app list, Maps and People seem to have new icons.

Viipottaja says:

If only they had/would add picture multiselect... :(

Planblover08 says:

I just flashed my 900 last night. Love the update. Makes a huge difference in experience. Plus with the double wide tiles for messages and emails give previews of messages. Very useful for me. Wish there was a double wide clock app like HTC has.

baj78 says:

I like the clock on HTC too

Residing says:

Daniel mentioned that there was nothing to indicate to the user that they could  adjust the tile sizes, but I'm hoping that when users update and plug into Zune, that the description will listed there.  It would be a shame for people to not realize that this feature comes with the update.

Dre325 says:

I think MSFT just included the basics here in 7.8 as it was something they decided to do late (for whatever reason) and couldn't include everything possible. Now I see no reason why they wouldn't add in rooms, lockscreen notifications, kids corner, WiFi keep alive, and other features of WP8 that the current WP7.x hardware could support. Hopefully MSFT treats their early adopters well and continues to update. I don't think it would keep a lot of people from upgrading, but if they are worried about that and this is the main reason they held features back, maybe they better push on the phone OEMs to produce some more elegant hardware!

mprice86 says:

What incentive would people have to upgrade if MS gave them the majority of the new features for free on older devices?

It might be a bit of a dick move, but it's also just good business sense.

mprice86 says:

Can't believe people are pissed about this update. MS have been saying since June last year that it's the new start screen.

Now, I get why non-Nokia users might be pissed, because they really are only getting the start screen and the other minor changes. Those with Nokia devices are also getting bluetooth sharing, ringtone maker and cinemagraph. No, you cannot run WP8 apps, they run on WP8 (oddly enough). However, other than the non-Nokia apps there really is very little functionality that 7.8 users are missing.

The most important thing for me with the update was that it not have the same effect that updates on other platforms have, i.e. slow the device to a crawl. 7.8 runs flawlessly and really the new home screen would have been enough on its own for me.

Anyone expecting more than what Microsoft have said repeatedly was in the update ... well I don't really know what to say about that.

schlubadub says:

Correction: they said new start screen and more! But there is no more so people are annoyed

SweetTooth37 says:

I remember when they where had that one page where we could say what we wanted on 7.8 & they'd look into and se if they could add it & of all the things ppl posted only those couple of things made it to 7.8.
That's pretty disappointing. I really wanted screenshot but I still want that start screen though.

scdkad says:

It's like they completely ignored that suggestion box app or site they set up.

schlubadub says:

They said it was a mistake soon after i.e. They weren't looking for suggestions at all

androidnav says:

I thinking if I should migrate back to Android. Reason being firstly my HTC titan has basic features missing like always on wifi, bluetooth file transfer, games, apps and support. Even the Samsung Galaxy S2 is starting to get 4.1 jellybean update. With almost everything the S3 has. We haven't even got ours yet. Whereas 7 months later all we get it adjustable tiles. I regret moving to WP sometimes. Just wish we has basic features from WP8 just for being loyal. Shocked that wallpaper notifications or rooms was not added. Hope they move quick to a new update otherwise I fear loss of customers for Microsoft. :(

starspec says:

Im with ya on this one.
WP seemed so intriguing when it first came out, but I keep getting disappointed. I think android might be my next os.

willied says:

I just want Zune back in WP8!

life3000 says:

Screenshots!?

Deemswick says:

7.8 Refresh?? Lol I wish

myjota says:

Thets joke?!?!

Kadcidxa says:

So pretty much nothing new added since leak version of 7.8... Disappointing...

RobinPaul says:

Will the email client (hotmail) have a theme color too? Like if you use a Dark Theme, it will be dark also and not like now, like using a Dark Theme and hotmail is in a Light Theme.

rcballa12 says:

Email has the appearance of the light theme because it uses HTML. If you receive an email that has a black background, it will show up on your phone with a black background.

synthman4 says:

Will the 7.8 update fix the internet explorer bug with tabs? By that I mean if I have it set to open new windows in a new tab explorer throws me out to the start screen, or just spins the live tile and won't open at all. Other people have had the same problem, and so far I haven't found a fix short of a hard reset which I don't want to do.

yeungl says:

Disappointment

thesorehead says:

Honestly, I could live without any updates except Tiles. Taking out the "gutter" and having 1/4-size tiles would make my Start screen just so much more useful. I'd have at least twice as much stuff on there as I do now, live tiles for everything!

The only other thing I really, really want is screenshot support.

pipe7 says:

Exactly.  A lot of people see this as a minor update.  But the start screen is the most used part of win phone.  So that makes this a HUGE update for me.  Trying to be patient, but very excited to be able to customize my tiles.  I bought this phone before i knew there would ever be any option to resize tiles.  So nothing to complain about, update will come and its a bonus.  Everyone keep cool and quite bashing MS about having to wait for an update that no one expected in the first place.  :)

schlubadub says:

Except the medium sized tiles are 1/3 bigger so you'll have less on screen at once (3 rows instead of 4)

thesorehead says:

...also support for my Outlook.com e-mail address. Would be nice not to have to go into IE to read my e-mails!

beepaphone says:

I have outlook.com email address working fine in 7.5, (added them as an exchange email account 2nd option when adding new account and not had a problem)

ioannisgk says:

THIS SUCKS BIG TIME. THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THE USERS THAT BROUGHT THE PLATFORM TO LIFE

MrSean490 says:

Eh I gave up on MSFT providing proper features a while ago. Homebrew community for the win!

Hey, can we update to 7.8 from Nokia's site or do we have to wait for the official AT&T release? (sorry, too many distracting comments if this question is answered above)

HNNNNNGHHH says:

You can either update from Navifirm+ by flashing it or just wait for the official update.

Flashing the update wipes your personal data, while the official update pushed by Zune just installs the necessary update packages, keeping all your music, apps, photos, etc.

Already flashed it to my L710 and its running like a charm. :)

Thanks for the info! I'll wait for the official update since I'm very happy with my content arrangement. Glad to read that your update went well :-)

Dragenox says:

There is a bug in WP7.8 the music player control on the lock screen are missing.

mprice86 says:

There's a bug in your update. It's fine on mine L800 UK.

scdkad says:

No WiFi keep alive-extremely f'g lame. Really, how much code would that entail to implement?

Lol this is so lame.. I have more respect for the xda devs. They have so much going on in their custom rom. :)

cedarlog says:

have you notice any preformance differeneces in app launch speed?

rcballa12 says:

No significant launch time differences, faster or slower, from what I can tell

drg says:

For those who claim to be an early adopter and disappointed, well the true early adaptors bought in 2 years ago and so surely it's time for an upgrade. people who bought 6 months ago would know that every 6 months new phones come out and so you're will be outdated already. if those people want the latest they could sell their current model for a couple hundred $ and then upgrade for a couple hundred more. second hand 920's are already appearing on eBay at decent prices. but like a lot of people have said the biggest thing i like about WP8 is the start screen and that's exactly what you'll be getting. the new tile sizes and the way they flip just give the live tiles even more life! every other upgrade is more hardware related.

gdubyacobb says:

I bought a Focus in November of 2010, loved it.
Bought a 900 last May, love it.
Its a great phone as is.
The new tiles will be wonderful.
Quit your whining, the 900 is a great phone.
For those of you complaining about WP7 being left behind, I've got a first generation iPod touch that won't run a fraction of the apps that are now available for apple.
Its just the way it works.
(for that matter, I also have a carbureted 1979 Jeep that gets piss poor gas mileage compared to newer versions)

sdreamer says:

Mentioned this in the other post, but I just wanted to reiterate how thoughtless it was of Microsoft to leave out basic features of a smartphone experience and just move on leaving those locked in contract stuck for a bit and with a sour taste. Features such as multiselect in messaging and photos (but we have it in advance Wifi???), Smart dialing (c'mon basic phones have had this), find on page in IE (WP 7.1 had this!), keep wifi alive. Some other features that come to mind to just make WP a more solid experience would be like ink support in OneNote (stupid to not have this feature since OneNote is more of a TabletPC app), IE button change (like on WP8, not expecting IE10, but something like that would have been nice). Seriously the Start screen is a really solid touch, but why focus so much time on that, delay it, and not even delivery some much needed features to make this a better OS. It is a much Welcome update, but it doesn't really bring WP7 to being more current like an update should do.

rohitsingh says:

I am using both, a lumia 800 with flashed official 7.8 rom and a lumia 920 with wp8, and here's my two cents on the whole thing. 7.8 allows you to customise your start screen much more than 7.5. You can now pin a lot more tiles allowing for a lot more notifications on the start screen itself. However, that is the only purpose it goes to serve because the smallest size of tiles cant really do much beyond that. Still it serves a good purpose ensuring that you can track a lot more notifications.
One place where wp8 really scores over 7.8 is the lockscreen customisations and increasing the total number of apps that can provide lockscreen info to 5+1. That I believe is one feature that SHOULD have been made available in 7.8 as well.
And ofcourse the fact that all new apps support far more features on wp8 than they do on 7.8.
I'll still say my lumia 800 is far better than an android or iOS device, but when you compare it with a 920, its found lacking.

rcballa12 says:

The smallest tiles do not "flip". That was a surprise to me. I noticed when I added the Amazing Weather live tile and it just showed the front (temperature) tile.

bronzekid91 says:

I just wanted a phone that would have modern useful features. Yeah the "start screen" is nice, but zune is pretty much dead, would it have killed them to search for things by name in the OS? As much as I hate comparing WP to anything else, universal search is a MUST HAVE feature in smartphones nowadays and the fact that not even MSFT's "latest mobile OS" doesn't even supported is listed as beyond pathetic for the consumer. The design is nice though , but me like many others are moving away from WP , and going to iOS or Android. At least they have features.. lots of them at that.

bronzekid91 says:

And the fact that the WP community is the deifinition of "comformist" is kind of sad IMO . It's the lack of demand that makes us think WP engineers  are just sitting on their ass and makes me see new buyers ask simple questions like "can you change the background of this phone?" "Does it have a notification system like the iphone?"  "Can i set a custom text tone?" -No, no, and no. Why would they even buy it? Yeah the hardware is nice, but the software is mediocre and VERY limited. Perhaps iOS might be limited too , but people are easy to forget because of the amount of apps available and thats the truth that not most want to accept.

OH BROTHER!!!............... *rolls eyes*

It took me 6 years to get bored of IPhones. But MS and Nokia took less than 6 months to get me pissed. My mistake I didn't research if the lumia 900 supported Hindi. And now MS would hold me at ransom again with the 7.8 lollies.  At least with my IPhone, i could browse Hindi, watch OD TV and iplayer and do online banking. I might be just one unhappy customer for MS. But this is it with the windows phone.

What about the font size of text messages, email etc. ? Is there an option to change it, added to the settings?

rcballa12 says:

I couldn't find any place to change text size, so I'm thinking NO, sorry.

On WP8 it's in Accessibility Options ... OK, thank you anyway.
For me this is the most important and missing feature which I cannot belive is so hard to implement.
MS don't pay attention to small but very important features as usual, I'm really sorry for these guys...

rcballa12 says:

Did a double-check in ease-of-access for you and nope, it's not there. There are so many other features like this that I'd like, too.

• Custom alert tones rather than the 10-15 they have built in
  • Screenshots
  • File explorer
  • Metadata access behind images and other files (date, time, etc)
  • I would love it if deleted images would not persist and appear on the Pictures live tile
  • UNCOMPRESSED images in ppt presentations so I can actually zoom in
  • Review unacknowledged notifications

One could go on...

Thanks!!!
Actually I ware glasses and for me this is the most important feature, just because if I cannot see what's written on the display I cannot use the phone.
Anyway you are right about the rest...

uopjo6 says:

Shouldn't of expected too high for 7.8 anyways. Did you really think they'd add more features in 7.8 and potentially degrade the value for WP8?

So in other words, we shouldn't expect much support from MS once we've been suckered into their system.  If we shouldn't expect simple things like custom alerts for sms or emails, that are on competing products, then why continue supporting them in the future?  Like the guy above us said, at least  give us metadata for our pics so we can at least see what day we took our freaking picture on!

WPCoder says:

What would be very frustrating is the lack of Bluetooth file sharing and SPP API

ephesians52 says:

It's exciting. It will be nice to update my wife's 900.

lewish327 says: