Microsoft takes the Lumia 930 to the Cornbury music festival

China's going after Microsoft, but what for?

Editorials

Analysis of Microsoft's Q4 2014 results

Editorials

Xbox Video and Music are getting 'streamlined' says Nadella

Surface

Video of Microsoft's secret labs offers a look into the world of Surface

5.8 million Lumia smartphones sold this last quarter

Microsoft generates $23.38 billion in revenue for FY14 Q4

Microsoft focuses on design to unify separate platforms

Microsoft 'betrayed' Finland, says Finnish finance minister of layoffs

Editorials

Putting the Microsoft job cuts into perspective

Microsoft to cut 18,000 jobs in the next year

Samsung releases ATIV BizCard scanning app for Windows Phone

'Microsoft needs to change', says CEO Satya Nadella

Microsoft set to lay off large amounts of staff in upcoming organizational changes

Armed robbers raid Brazilian Samsung factory for 40,000 devices

Samsung, Intel and Dell create a consortium for connected devices

Samsung ATIV S

Microsoft and Samsung team up on Windows Phone for enterprise, take on RIM

Microsoft is reportedly set to partner up with Samsung to push Windows Phone out to businesses. According to reports, the two companies are looking to form a similar partnership that Microsoft has developed with both Nokia and HTC with Windows Phone 8. This will come as a slight surprise to those who believe Samsung continue to place Windows Phone on the backbench while Android hardware remains top priority.

Head of B2B marketing on the Windows Phone team, Rikke Rasmussen has revealed that Microsoft will be pitching ideas with Samsung as soon as the manufacturing partner is ready. It's claimed that talks will kick off following the launch of the Samsung ATIV S. Rasmussen states a number of high-profile businesses have already switched from BlackBerry to Windows Phone, including a recent deal with HML Skipton - the UK’s fourth largest building society.

"Business is very important to us – [WP8] sits really well with SMBs. There are a lot of BlackBerry customers that are looking at other options, the full integration with Windows 8 makes sense and is cost effective for them. Everyone will be affected by BB10, it’s just a question of what that effect will be. It’s a big market though and there should be enough room for both of us. From our perspective, we will be trying to stay neutral with the manufacturers. We will be doing joint stuff with Samsung, as we do with HTC and Nokia, as soon as they are ready."

With the launch of BlackBerry 10, RIM has a long standing relationship with companies who remain loyal to the brand with employees sporting such hardware as company mobile phones. It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft and Samsung can tap into this market to drive up sales to not only consumers, but to the working world as well.

Source: Mobile News

Comments

arterbizzle says:

Finally. If WP8 is to succeed, it needs to do this. The exchange support is superior to any other device, imo. It just works.

Tjalsma says:

I agree.  I used my phone much of the time for business and it's great.  With Blackberry's current situation, it's a good time for them to push into businesses.

fardream says:

Um.... It doesn't support some of the EAS policies that iPhone supports

Nataku4ca says:

going to bet they will shove that into the March~April update

spaulagain says:

Such as? I have both an iPhone 4 and Lumia 920. Both were a breeze to set up with Exchange. But my WP device feels better integrated with the whole exchange experience.

Prodigy11 says:

They should add the VPN - connection to WP8 soon...

teaMJPx says:

Navite VPN would be a +++ for the platform. It would make it viable for businesses to consider WP8 as the main (and dare I say preferred) OS for business.

AriesDog says:

First glance thought that headline said "out of business". Did a double-take.

oyab says:

Lol I did the same damn thing. I was like why would Microsoft and Samsung want to put MS out of business... OYAB!!!

cannon#WP says:

Thank you! I was coming here to see if I was the only one who read it as "MS & Samsung looking to push WP out of business."

onggeo says:

+1 mate lol

mondokjm says:

I feel like I've seen several stories similar to this over the past few months. Have there been any major instances of MS pushing into businesses?

AriesDog says:

I remember a story last year about the Sara Lee corporation adopting Windows Phone company wide. Wonder how that worked out.

hwangeruk says:

I can tell you Vodafone have let Nokia all over a company I deal with, with many seats. The appeal of not having BES servers, NOT having "special" BES plans and BIS to deal with for end users is very attractive for end user corps. Couple that with excellent management via Office 365 and they have a good proposition.

based_graham says:

It needs a bit of polishbut Windows 8 and Phone 8 before it can be adopted in medium/big businesses. SmB is WIn8 and WP8 work jus fine.

teaMJPx says:

If this push goes through... I'm telling the higher-ups to consider WP8 as the main Mobile System (they are open to BYOD as of now) since Blackberry/Apple/Android just won't interpret certain data correctly causing us to spend time and money formatting to suit those OS's needs. Standardization is what's needed and its basically in the hands of MS. We are a global company and would be nice if we adopted WP8... Most people use the iPhone or Blackberry though...

treetownal says:

I'm concerned it might be too little too late for this.  My company droppped BB, killed BYOD and went to Iphones only this month.  From what I have seen a lot of similar companies have done the same thing over the past 2 quarters.

Yeah, Apple is clearly making its way in with businesses and fast! 90% of big businesses here in Vegas use iPhones & ipads. The rest use BB. Only a few startups allow byod.

jmagwp says:

I mentioned WP8 to our IT guys a few months before it was released. Their response was basically that because they have spent so much money, time, and effort trying to get Apple products to work over the past few years that they aren't open to anything new. Unfortunately this is the idiocy Microsoft is up against.

acrodex says:

Vpn, PDF reader, broader WiFi security protocol support... Wp8 need a lot more to be ready for business.

safesax2002 says:

WiFi security is not as strong as it needs to be. Many businesses use authentication (RADIUS) for their wireless. Unfortunately, WP does not support that.

caliborn says:

not true.  We have radius servers on our wireless and my phone connects just fine.

zacman says:

S/mime support...

1jaxstate1 says:

Read the title wrong. Lol, I was about to ask why in the hell would MS want to push their own OS out of business.

Nice read.

Pelldom says:

Friend of mine who works for Konica-Minolta told me that their head office is now recommending WP8 for all their sales people because of the security. Techs need Android because of a custom-build servicing app. But under No circumstances will they allow iPhones to connect to their networks because of the numerous security risks.

Pelldom says:

If MS wants the business world to take WP8, they really need to put out HID Bluetooth support. "Here's a built-in Office application but sorry, no keyboard support"

Tahiti Bob says:

Good choice of OEM, the simplistic aesthetics of Samsung phones will go down with businesses better than what HTC and Nokia offer. Plus by giving each OEM some love, Microsoft can ensure they deliver quality hardware.

fierywater says:

Agreed. Almost looks intentional on Samsung's part. Their WP8 designs are even simpler than their Android ones.

Residing says:

i actually think the Lumia 900, 920, and other variants look great for business with their matte Black offerings.

Nonetheless, Nokia is doing their WP push into business with their own initiative (as reported earlier by WP Central and other sites), so I look forward to seeing how WP fares as a whole in Enterprise.

TJWINS says:

I hope this is true but business is built on a good calendar and Windows Phone calendar is a joke compared to the BlackBerry calendar. WP can work in enterprise but not with the currently available pathetic calendar. Hope the upgrade it soon.

Residing says:

Yeah, I hope the calendar becomes more robust.  The calendar on my N8 wasn't pretty, but I could customize it and get everything on it that I needed to.  Not able to do so on my Lumia 900.  I've been thinking about getting that app AppointTile to see if that gives me the flexibility I need.

Eddie_Lomax says:

Its something that I have noticed, but for some functionality people just want it built into the phone rather then added via applications.
It makes me wonder how the future of these apps will be, as some of them mature to become more and more complex they either get better programming support backup or they become the preserve of large companies only.

StreetNerd says:

give us a WP8 qwerty device!

XB_Mod says:

Things missing from WP to make it a perfect business device
1. VPN support
2. Ability to attach documents to emails or share local PDF files (right now only pictures can be attached directly from the mail application)
3. Ability to edit a forwarding email

2. and 3. are actually unacceptable for a smartphone OS in 2013.

CobaltDragon says:

Good news, they better hurry...BB10 looks kinda neat.

msxbox says:

BB10 already failing not good luckily we have Microsoft to pick up the pieces and show how it should be done

How is BB10 "already failing" without being released yet?

ej1024 says:

MSFT is freaking Awesome...

msxbox says:

Don't forget Nokia, Htc, Samsung, Huewai and also Lenovo, Zte, Alcatel, Asus, Lg, and many others who will all be on board with Windows Phone 8

tjoyce says:

Not sure how Samsung can go down this road given the newly-released ads for the Galaxy Note II as the "next best thing for business". This is just insulting.

monthigos says:

I thought that read 'pushing out of business on first pass.

rcballa12 says:

It would be great if one could join GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar conferences, and heck I'll even throw LogMeIn's join.me in the mix.

Rich White says:

Intel Atom phones will put Microsoft over the top in business as the 'kernel' converges.

q21701 says:

I'm curious to see if Spint's partnership with Samsung and a late summer launch tied with this article means that the Samsung WP8 device will be a new enterprise level device. Sprint does tend to focus their sales on business customers.

xFalk says:

Combine a business centric Windows Phone with the possible Dell acquisition and Microsoft is clearly pushing hard to advance its enterprise business.

Tee says:

That korean times article last week did mention Samsung and Windows Phone could work as an etnerprise phone.

lubbalots says:

Not understanding this Microsoft/ Samsung thing. What's the first Samsung wp8 pushed in the US since wp8 launch? You guessed it, a week from now the half assed Odyssey. If this is the case, imagine trying to get enterprise out. MS doing the hard work and Samsung sloffing off. Doesn't matter the issue, Nokia is the way to go!

Ticomfreak says:

Well so was HTC but see what happens when MS influences you...

Tiwo says:

Wow, when I read all of the comments, I can't help but think that WP8 still needs  A LOT of work. Let's hope MS can work up to the expectations here :>

namikral says:

microsoft is playing the whore, nokia should switch to android asap and use both platforms

cedarlog says:

No, Microsoft providing a fair relationship with all OEM's, in short they are saying we really care about all our OEM's

ihavewp8 says:

Shows you why BlackBerry phone 10 will fail once they announce the launch of there new BlackBerry 10. Microsoft should buy this crappy phone co

Now do some shit stop talk!! Get your stuff up to par!!

ilgulamc says:

Where is Exchange tasks categories synch??!! Wp is useless in business World if one cannot use outlook tasks with categories!!! My windows mobile phone 6.5 used to be able to manage that...

Fritzly says:

As far as functionalities and flexibility WM is still way ahead of WP, no questions about it.

jbrown9070 says:

When if ever is the Samsung ATIV S coming out in the US?

WP will roll to enterprise just like its rolling to the retail consumer market, it's that segment that's driving workplace technology. The only way MS can lose is by failing to make nice with the partner channel. No solutions, no enterprise....

bsd107 says:

Nice, except without the ATIV S out in the US it's kind of pointless...