Windows Phone 7.8 mainstream support ends September 9

More reports of changes to Cortana suggests a Microsoft update is inbound

Microsoft exec hints at new HTC Windows Phone at Computex

HTC W8 to reportedly include BoomSound and duo cameras

HTC W8 reported to be a 'flagship' Windows Phone 8.1 release for Verizon

Pin a big old clock on your Windows Phone 8.1 Start screen with Clock Hub

Software

Sprint confirms Windows Phone 8.1 update for HTC 8XT and Samsung ATIV S Neo this summer

Games

Rail Rush celebrates Easter with the latest update

HTC rumored to be building a Windows Phone version of the new Android flagship

Microsoft Store giving away $100 credit; simply trade up your Windows XP dinosaur (US and Canada Only)

Windows 8 Apps+Games

Windows 8 app update roundup: Music, Video, and Evernote receive new features and performance tweaks

Windows Phone market share surpasses BlackBerry in the U.S.

Microsoft to fix Internet Explorer vulnerability along with other system exploits next week

Software

Office 2013 receives Service Pack 1 - includes major bug fixes and minor tweaks

Editorials

Windows Phone is losing some hardware differentiation as Microsoft woos Android manufacturers

Xbox

Microsoft is inviting gamers to preview the next Xbox One update – you could be one of them

Xbox

How to fix the Xbox One black screen of death (and it's only temporary)

HTC confirms 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1

Developers leak Windows Phone 8.1 SDK, reveal new features

Nokia and HTC settle all litigation, sign massive patent and technology deal

HTC abandoning HD7? No plans to release Windows Phone 7.8 update

HD7

HTC has revealed on Twitter that no plans are in the pipeline for Windows Phone 7.8 to be released for the HD7. While this is no confirmation that the company will never update the HD7, it's a shame there's nothing for consumers who still wield the handset. Sporting Windows Phone 7, the user experience is still butter smooth and rich, but everyone wants the latest and greatest, right?

So is HTC wrong to leave out consumers? It depends. While we can moan and complain that the manufacturer should continue to support its released hardware, but the HD7 is many generations ago. Those who purchased the handset have either upgraded to newer smartphones, or are nearing the end of the contract.

We'd of course like to see each and every owner with the 7.8 update, but if this holds out it shouldn't come as such a surprise. That said, if you're into hacking your way through the thorns to reach your goal, there are available ROMs out there which would bump the HD7 up to Windows Phone 7.8.

We'll be sure to update you should any details arise.

Source: Twitter; thanks, Er. Akshat, for the tip!

Comments

Ugh...i feel for the HD7 owners. Sorry bros and brozetts.

myjota says:

Im with you

shadoweye14 says:

lol true say haha

tbonenga says:

Yeah this sucks Tmo want even release Tango for the HD7.

ariez84 says:

HD& (Based on the HD2) will last FORVER!

That sucks I'd flash it

That sucks I'd smash it

walter1832 says:

That sucks I'd....I'd...I'd....that sucks!

awesumjon says:

I just might. I swear, after each article I'm leaning more and more away from HTC and towards Nokia.

dlusted says:

Such reason I got the 920 after owning my HD7....

HTC is lacking in near all aspects...

Iskassasya says:

Ahh, I feel for you guys/girls. I hate it when this happens.

PittaMan says:

HTC - blowing it at every turn

wizzackr says:

I hate to say it, but I agree. Loved my HD7 while I had it, but am happy I went with a L920 this time around.

simphf says:

I did the same

WOW HTC SUPPORT THE HELL OUT OF CUSTOMERS

toyotast165 says:

Yup, just like when they didn't include tethering for mango on the surround. It actually pisses me off too when people think the 8x/s have high quality builds.... Just rub the corner against your jeans and repeat that statement lol sorry but I don't see a reason to buy anything other than a Nokia WP from here on. I loved my 900, and my 920 even more. The build quality and support have been unequalled by any other WP (or android for that matter) manufacturer.

Duffau says:

I see a reason, if your carrier doesn't have a good Nokia wp

I Spiritus I says:

I've still got mines sitting in the house. Shame, would have been nice to upgrade it along with the Lumia 900.

cashcar1979 says:

This is why you buy Nokia and not HTC/Samsung if you are a WinPhone fan. These companies are not as committed to the platform.

chucky78 says:

Fully agree on the Nokia support

toyotast165 says:

Totally agree, Nokia IS Windows Phone now, honestly I would love to see a comparison done on the Nokia updates/exclusives and Google with their Nexus devices.

Cellus13 says:

I'm glad someone finally said it.

KeegdnaB42 says:

I hope this isn't a death sentence for all first gen devices. My mom is already jealous of my 8X (and now my dad has an 822) and so she was really looking forward to 7.8 on her trophy.

WinFan1 says:

Buy her a phone :) that's your mom you only get one :D

aubreyq says:

Seriously. Time to move on from that Trophy.

PolishHitta says:

Wait for that Nokia Lumia 920. They rumored it already so it shouldn't take much longer.

KeegdnaB42 says:

She can't upgrade until summer

WinFan1 says:

cant you get one on craigslist?

goldenpipes says:

Magenta L920 mothers day
Sale?

J4rrod says:

The Trophy won't get it either.

blakeynz says:

I have an email from HTC saying the trophy is getting 7.8. I mailed to WPCentral aswell

dbam987 says:

Is the Trophy getting the update still?

SeanW20 says:

Doesn't seem so if this is the case for HD7. Trophy is being retired from Verizon. This seems to be a pattern with HTC in general. My old HTC Inspire never even got Honeycomb. They seem to love to abandon old hardware.

Honeycomb was a tablet only android os, and was replaced with the Hybrid ice cream sandwich that merged tablet and phone.

SeanW20 says:

That was dumb of me. I said Honeycomb knowing full well it was tablet only. D'oh

J4rrod says:

Honeycomb? That was a tablet-only version.

blakeynz says:

As I mentioned above

foxibs says:

Lucky me I didn't wait wait for them to release an update to 7.8.
Currently running Deepshining 7.8.
It runs smoothly and bug free.

starspec says:

help a brotha out and point in the way to get this to happen. ive put a tiny bit of research, but i cant seem to find a nodo rom to start with.
 this is shit news and i want some mini tiles.
thanks man haha.

Ridlah says:

I'm guessing my HD7S shares the same fate

pankaj981 says:

I think this might only be for first gen HTC devices

awesumjon says:

It is a 1st Gen device. The only difference is a screen, charging port, and signal bands.

lfjj says:

This is the reason I left HTC, they forget about their previous models. I mean seriously, they released One X then a month later the One X+ was released..

Rune Jensen says:

They released the One X in may of 2012, and the One X+ in november 2012. So a month later is a little bit of a stretch

lfjj says:

Well that is true and it was more of a point I was making. Still, I think the One X+ was released way too soon as One X was supposed to be their flagship device for the year..

I hate to be THAT guy but look how quickly the 920 came out after the 900's release...920 owner by the way.

conanheath says:

And manufactures wonder why they don't sell more phones. I'll never buy a HTC after hearing this. I've had my problems with 920, but I have to say Nokia isn't going to just abandon it's users.

slpaige says:

I'm doubtful the focus s will get the update either. Probably won't matter though as I'll be able to upgrade fairly soon anyways.

goldenpipes says:

Cab sender in a few more days

baj78 says:

Im optimistic about the Focus S seeing the update. It received the Tango and is a 2nd Gen device. If released, I say April. But if u are do for an upgrade no worries. I'm waiting for 2nd Gen b4 jumping into WP8. Just how i do things. Besides, I like my Focus S so no rush.

slpaige says:

Yeah, my upgrade is in June, so if nothing new has come out recently (2nd generation of wp8 devices) I'll just wait until this fall when more new products come out. (may go back to Verizon if they are carying the Nokia's by then.

Sarang68 says:

I exchanged my hd7 for a nokia Lumia 920 some days back!

petersun21 says:

The way I read it is that HTC is not going to do it for any WP7 phones

z33dev33l says:

This is why you go Nokia. A better product and a history of software support.

cannon#WP says:

There goes MS's promise to upgrade all the phones all the time.

MediaCastleX says:

Hey, they gave it to OEMs and they drop the ball once again! Partners.?! More like Frenemies!!! =/

cashcar1979 says:

Shit like this is why MSFT invested in Nokia and may do the same with Dell.

Chris Coyle says:

Yep that's why I left my Titan in the dust for Nokia. Pretty colors don't get you upgrades and cool apps either 8x.

adrian1338 says:

I have one question. Is this even possible? Should Micosoft not be able to push the update now? is the requirement for a system not to provide the hardware so all updates run on those systems? was this not the argument to laugh about android due to fragmentation ? I wonder why provider and developer still have control over the updates? its not like PC updates would be send out by HP or  the reseller of the PC

ladydias says:

Because carriers are never going to allow a repeat of the iPhone where lots of people don't buy the latest and greatest because the old stuff gets updated. They make no money off of you updating your phone. Also, manufacturers do have have a say on some pc updates. My mom used to get HP specific updates on her desktop.

CJ Thunder says:

Most carriers loose money when you upgrade and want you to stay longer than your two years but are scared you'll run to another if you don't have the latest and greatest spec'd out phone. It's a Catch-22. Though I do think they are silly because people rarely jump ship, better longer support would make them more money.

bbennett40 says:

Carriers should want you to sit with your old phone and keep paying the monthly fee. That way, they aren't out the subsidy for the new phone and get their same monthly payment. However, carriers (and some OEMs clearly) don't want to spend the $ (man hours) testing new software for the old handsets. This is a relatively new thing as before smartphones, they had to do zero work to keep the customer. Now they should be realizing they need to invest just a bit more to make customers happy and retain them.

That's more than one question...lol ;)

waazzupppp says:

Didn't Microsoft all but say Generation 1 devices would not get the update? That means that the HD7, Trophy, Arrive and a ton of others won't see 7.8. I'm doubtful that the Titan and Radar will see it as well. I think the majority of Gen 2 devices will get passed over as well. The entire Focus line from Sammy will be next in line for the skip as well. Honestly, except for colors and live tile sizing, there isn't much to miss. Still, my Titan awaits in the wings for AT&T to deliver Mango...

cannon#WP says:

No. Microsoft never specified or stated bluntly that Gen 1 would not get 7.8. What they said was "all phones currently on the market will get the update" but never clarified if Gen 1 was included in that because at the time the current market was the 900, 800, Titan II and Focus 2.

adrian1338 says:

Giving our hardware requirements is the main reason to guarantee phone updates. else everybody could just produce what they want without the need of respect of requirements.. just like android.

wpguy says:

The problem with that statement is that the HD7 hardware specs as good or better than the ones listed above. There is no reason why WP7.8 wouldn't work beautifully on a launch-day HD7.

pankaj981 says:

Radar might get the update since the new start screen was put up on it during the launch

caesar500 says:

If you're on At&t 7.8 is important, because you'll actually get the previously skipped updates. Mt 1st gen Focus never got the keyboard fix from Jan. 2012 or Tango.

baj78 says:

Maybe update issue thru att is with 1st Gen devices. I use Focus S, 2nd Gen, came preloaded with Mango, but att released Tango for my device. I'd get rid of 1st Gen and upgrade only if contract matured of course.

Xaphoon148 says:

Exactly the reason I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 this time, after 3 htc's... Complete lack of support :(

Grizlyadams says:

less than a 2 year lifecycle?? Contracts in the UK are 24 month and this phone is now effectively unsupported 5 months before the end of my contract.
I'll be flashing it :)

myrandex says:

Not to mention the three year contracts I hear rumor of up in Canada...seriously I was close to purchasing the Titan II previously and posts like this make me glad I didn't.

R0bR says:

Ain't no rumor, I'm on a 3 year contract with Bell and have an HD7, not eligible for an upgrade until end of the year. It's not stopping me though, I'm terminating my contract and picking up a 920 at Rogers today.

cashcar1979 says:

You Canadians need to move South....give up Socialism & Hockey

z33dev33l says:

And free healthcare and a stable government and no overpopulation and good jobs for the majority of citizens? Oh, yeah, that's reasonable.

willied says:

There's no such thing as free healthcare, the US isn't overpopulated, and the job situation isn't that much better in Canada, but it is still better. Canada also is in much better shape economically with their more fiscally conservative government. But anyway...

gfunk84 says:

Not a rumor at all. I bought a Focus right at launch in 2010 and still have almost a year left on my contract. :(

I doubt the Titan will see an update either. HTC makes nice looking devices, but their motus opperandi is sell it and move on. Thus, I'd tell anyone looking to get a phone, to look at the pretty designs HTC has produced but move on and buy something else.

segadc says:

Wow that sucks HTC.  Not cool at all!  I feel bad I already told someone that their HD7 will get the 7.8 upgrade.  I wonder about the Trophy now?

simplescheme says:

HD7 was my first WP device. Son still rocking it but will be replaced by Lumia 820 shortly and from there on no more HTC for us.

ebradley says:

I am sporting the Titan II. This is just 1 more reason to NOT get another HTC.

Residing says:

But the Titan II has been on the market for less than one year - You still have a manufacturers warranty to address any manufacturer's defects, and there is no word from HTC confirming that the Titan II will not get the 7.8 update.

ebradley says:

It is not warranty issues. It is just sorry hardware. I had a Focus before this POS and the Focus was a much better phone. It was smoother and NEVER crashed. This thing has serious operating issues.

Residing says:

Point taken :)

cannon#WP says:

That's strange. I've had my Titan II for 6 months now and never had any major problems and it's always been smooth. The POS was my old LG Quantum. You should consider sending your's in to HTC.

Paragon99 says:

Remember all the talk when Windows Phone first launched....There will never be fragmentation. Every phone will be upgraded and it will be so easy......LOL!

ebradley says:

The OS is fragmented anyway. Allowing each carrier and OEM to 'tweak' it to suit them. Do the carriers tweak the iPhone? There may be something to be said for a Surface WP (unlocked of course). I would get 1.

myrandex says:

The OS isn't fragmented. There are different lines (7.x and 8), but there are also older iPhones and iPads that cannot be upgraded to later versions of iOS.

Carriers cannot customize the OS. Carriers and Manufacturers can release their own Apps. With WP they can limit their App from being used by users with other phones or carriers, but that is not OS fragmentation.

adrian1338 says:

But there is a hardware requirement to guarantee support for all hardware of that requirement. It was already a joke not supporting the new kernel in the old system. but now tell people that within the old system they will ot get support is just wrong. actually it would be a reason not to trust MS anymore. why should the old win7 device not get the same lame 7.8 version as other ones.. why give the carrier and OEM the chance to do something like this anyways. just to push the system and demands so they can go wit hthe next generation and say .. well .. you will just use stock version or no version and hope that the demand on WP is high enough to guarantee the market

ebradley says:

Carriers can't customize the OS? Think of Data Sense as an example. Any deviation, IMHO, is fragmentation. I agree about different versions, 7.x v. 8. Some of it is hardware dependent. I also agree about the apps being carrier or OEM specific. With the exception of apps, the OS should be exactly the same, if there is no fragmentation.

willied says:

Data Sense is from Microsoft, not the carriers. It's just exclusive to Verizon right now, kind of like having an exclusive phone. It's going to others later on.

ebradley says:

Yes, from MS, part of the OS. ATT chose to not include it in their 'customized' version of the OS, creating fragmentation. It demonstrates the carriers can fragment the OS, if they want to.

theflew says:

It's not about AT&T not including it.  AT&T needs to have the backend to support it.  It's just not a matter of installing software on your phone and it works.

willied says:

How is it fragmented when other carriers are going to get it?

CX1 says:

Having had multiple HTC devices this business as usual.

AriesDog says:

I'll take it as a harbinger of how HTC will treat the 8X 18-months from now. How you treat your old customers will lead them to believe that's how they'll be treated in the future.

xchaser says:

Oh well HTC its time to move to Nokia, its been good but your done for me with that move. BYE.

1jaxstate1 says:

"Many generations ago." two is defined as many?

wizmagister says:

How hard is it to add some accent color and make the tiles bigger. Here contracts are 3 years, so i'm stuck for another 12 months. Windows Phone was supposed to be updatable. Very disapointed.

macutvol says:

This is the whole reason I went with Nokia this round. Screw HTC

Yeah.. HTC seems to be inclined more towards android. Wonder when they will release the update for the HTC Radar :O

CCAZPastor says:

So the fact that one of the phones pictured behind the MS bigwigs at their official 7.8 launch at the end of last year was the HTC Radar apparently means nothing??? That would be very shameful!

dbgman says:

That is the main reason I did not stick with an HTC device. I had the Titan and did not get one firmware update to fix the bugs, while my wife got firmware updates for her Lumia 900. That is why I switched to Nokia over HTC.

Jonadam23 says:

I used to like HTC, but this and the "don't put your 8x in your pockets" stunt have turned me against them.

afgzee says:

This is the reason to ditch 8X and 8S too. Just stick with Nokia, at least you know they're committed 100%

rubenbest says:

Good thing i switched to the 920.. I had the hd7

MrSean490 says:

If I get standed on 7.5, I'll just have more inclination to drop WP permanently.

BKsInBarre says:

This not WP issue, this is a HTC issue..Just get a Nokia or Samsung. I just ordered my Nokia Red 822.

hd7b4radar says:

But the whole point should be that its not up HTC or other manufactures to decide which phones get the update. It sucks cuz they want u to buy a new phone when u don't have too if they could just update it and have it feel new. And I have a 8x gave my bro my radar.

Gilceleb says:

The european Samsung Omnia W (seems to be the Focus Flash in US) will receive WP7.8 and an update to bring this phone the internet sharing (tethering).

Source: Samsung italy.

schlubadub says:

Tethering? Didn't everyone get that just after Mango?

Tafsern says:

HTC are probably the most arrogant and the least user friendly company out there.

WP95 says:

Better support trophy at least. Even though I have the 8X.

BKsInBarre says:

Does that mean people with HTC Trophy won't get it either?

walter1832 says:

I see what you did there/

Ronny Fallas says:

:( Sad. I have not received neither the Tango update.

schlubadub says:

That's your carriers fault... I have a proper version of Tango on my HD7 (via Telstra)

Deacon.Jo says:

This is exactly ... Exactly !!!! ..why NOKIA Rules !!

abond32 says:

Good hd7 is old news and if they update all the old phones you'd never buy a new. Spend

xchaser says:

well I was thinking of upgrading to the 8x from the hd7 but after this game I am moving to nokia.

schlubadub says:

I will when I can get the 920 with microSD...

abond32 says:

Good.. Happy waiting...

schlubadub says:

I have no problem waiting... there is not one, single, feature of WP8 that I want that will make me happy to lose all of my data on my current WP7 mobile. Everything I really wanted & hoped for hasn't been implemented yet :( Actually, that's not quite true - native code is a big boon to the OS... now we just need a flood of native code apps & games! I was so excited at the prospect of every mobile having microSD, but both Nokia and HTC failed to deliver on their flagship phones (only on the low-end models, WTF?!)

Residing says:

But the phone has been on the market over two years!  After one year, the manufacturer's warranty is no longer applicable, so anything a manufacturer provides after that period, at no out of pocket expense to me, I consider a bonus.   Even if I had a two or three year contract, I guess I just wouldn't expect mfg support after the one year unless I paid for it.  That's just me, though.

I think the issues with the Titan not being addressed, when those issues were presented within the one year it was released, is more telling of HTC's lack of Customer Service.

schlubadub says:

Yeah, but this is THE LAST UPDATE... Tango refresh was boring & I was resigned to getting just one last update to change the start screen before WP7 calls it a day for good. Very disappointed now. The only way to update is to flash and lose all of my data :(

kenzibit says:

Damn! They can't do this to us....if this bad news is true, HD7 will be my last HTC phone....no doubt. Soo Stupid.

Deacon.Jo says:

Dude !! ,, what are You still waiting for ?! , Go and buy a "Nokia LUMIA" alrerady .

lubbalots says:

You won't regret!

lubbalots says:

I ask who controls the OS, MS or OEMs? Seriously, this is not Android! Come on Baldmar! Where is the Nokia/MS relationship. You have a better chance of getting things done with Nokia. For God sakes you're not listening!

PolishHitta says:

Ironically I'm abandoning HTC for a Lumia 920

Yes I have a hd7 and was looking forward to the update. MS said all devices will be updated. Guess if I won't get an update I'll roll with deep shining. Rooting and updating my phone. Ech

Planblover08 says:

That sux glad I switched out my HTC Arrive for a Nokia 900

cdb033 says:

That hurts.

Reflexx says:

HTC gained some good will with their 8X. People were giving them the benefit of the doubt.

This may destroy that for many consumers. And news like this spreads from one consumer to another. Dissatisfaction can be infectious.

HTC should feel pressured to give older devices support if for no other reason than the fact that Nokia is doing it. HTC is asking to be trounced by the competition by offering inferior product build quality AND inferior support.

futurix says:

I don't even understand why HTC is needed for HD7 to be updated. It's not like they need to provide new device drivers or anything else!

phatboy66 says:

Woww this is horrible. Guess it's time to sell that HTC HD7 and get a WP8 device

wpguy says:

With contracts lasting as long as three years, this seems rather short-sighted.

My HD7 has been my faithful companion these last two years, and I was looking forward to this one last update. HTC dropped down on my list as possible options. Likewise when friends ask about which phones to consider.

AhmedShuhaib says:

HTC, its over! was going to buy 8x over  920 but  will never buy/recommend your products anymore. BYE for ever

ioannisgk says:

Time to SWITCH. Leave HTC, go Nokia!!!

xma1e says:

Fortunatly when i replaced my HD7 i took a "No HTC" policy. From past experience HTC are only interested in selling new phones to the point where all they release are minor hardware upgrades.
Unfortunatly, my nephew now has a hand me down that wont be upgraded.

xma1e says:

ALL htc users should complain. This kind of think happens on Android too. HTC are only interested in selling phones and not keeping customers.

koffey says:

Terrible, guess that means I'm getting a Nokia to replace my HD7.  And then flash it.

Ridlah says:

You know my Nokia N97 mini came out in 2009 and it still gets updates for every nokia service app and firmwire updates for bug improvements, just goes to show that Nokia is way better than HTC.

david126 says:

Maybe Titan 2 will be the only device getting the upgrade? C'mon HTC at least the mighty Titan can receive 7.8!
Or u can always install it w ROM or android

fraddy says:

Why wonder? Microsoft did a similar thing to Lumia 800 and 900 owners, only more serious as far as the consequences are concerned by not providing even a light/basic type Apollo OS upgrade for us. Have they set a standard for other companies? Perhaps...

schlubadub says:

Lumia 800/900 owners are getting 7.8 this week... Not sure what you're talking about really

fraddy says:

This week... That's a good one! I doubt T-Mobile/EE UK releases it befor the end of March. I didn't mean that phoney upgrade (well, a bit more than that, but not much more), I said it clearly: no Apollo for Lumia 800/900. And consequently, almost no apps now, mainly those who had been around before WP8 was released. Mainly if not ONKY. Abandoning is one of main things according to MS's philosophy. I will probably do the same to them as far as my smartphone upgrade is concerned. And you, happy users of WP8, don't get shocked if you hear your Lumis 920's cannot upgrade because they miss that special button or have no 24MPx cameras or... :-)

schlubadub says:

Telstra have announced that it will take place this week... so that's all that matters :P
I do realise you said "apollo" but that ship has sailed and isn't worth discussing further. The only thing that matters is getting a final 7.8 update for ALL WP7 mobiles. Lumia owners either already have it, or will get it this week unless your carriers are lazy. HTC owners have been completely shafted on this matter.

baileystein says:

Disappointing, but keep in mind that it was supported for two years.

Ridlah says:

Anyone know how I can flash a custom 7.8 Rom to my HTC HD7S because i can't find roms for the HD7S just HD7
I have the bootloader version at 4.5.22
Carrier is AT&T
I understand that the reccomended method is to downgrade to bootloader 3.x but I don't see any pre-nodo roms that support my phone, am i aloud to use any HD7 t-moble rom or will that brick my phone?

schlubadub says:

Bloody ridiculous

Glad I upgraded from my launch day HD7 to the 920.. I gave my hd7 to my mom she has no clue about a update and I will keep that way lol

podsnap says:

That's dicouraging. I was going to get an 8x next month (they are much cheaper than a Lumia 920 in the UK) but this will make me think twice.

cannibeast says:

"At this time, HTC does not have plans to deliver a Windows Phone 7.8 upgrade."
What worries me (as a Titan owner) is there is no mention of this being specific to the HD7. Sounds more like HTC just isn't going to be bothered to do it at all, for any of their Windows Phone 7 handsets.
As many others have said, I cannot wait for my contract to expire so I can jump ship to Nokia. They seem to release new stuff for their WP handsets constantly.

starspec says:

Hd7s owner here. Ditching HTC and maybe even WP all together. I hate this lack of support.

MBowser says:

where and how do i eget 7.8 rom on hd7

ronanspy says:

I can assure that custom 7.8 give us more features than official 7.8.

MBowser says:

ru running this rom if so can you point me in the direction i need to be to enjoy this also

mr toes says:

I am very angry >:( this will be my last htc

I thought microsoft said any phone running 7.5 will get the update to 7.8.  This includes the HD7(s) and others.  The OEM doesnt matter...hell all first gen devices have EXACTLY the same internal hardware just look different on the outside.  I already flashed my L900 to 7.8 but am kinda ashamed that my old HD7S(which I can say is an awesome phone) may not see the light of day of custom live tiles.  I call this completely on microsoft for not living up to their promise.  Thanks for nothing.

Talbot690 says:

Soooo no 7.8 for any htc 7.5 phones.....damn but ill keep my surround... Soon ill have a 7.5,7.8 and windows phone 8 almost the whole family

macastle says:

My HD7 was handed down to my son. I just told him and he was very upset. The way I look at it if HTC feels that way then I guess I'm really going to have to think about future purchases and not go with a company that doesn't support there product.

Ronnet says:

F*CK YOU HTC.

I don't own a HD7 but I do own a HTC Mozart which is from the same generation. And their comment suggests HTC isnt planning on bringing the update to any of their devices. Even if the Mozart does get the upgrade the fact that they're ditching the HD7 means I can't trust them to support my phone.

And what does it matter how old the phone is? Microsoft is bringing an update to the OS so Windows Phone 7 isnt dead yet. As OEM it should be a mandatory service to support devices you release. It's been only two years and I don't feel like being forced to upgrade. If HTC hopes this means I'll switch to a HTC 8X then they get suck it. NEVER. HAPPENING.*

Only Windows Phone OEM that I stil trust is Nokia. But if my Mozart is not getting the update then I'm seriously reconsidering Windows Phone. I'm a big fan of the UI and I've been a big supporter since early 2011. I've accepted a lot of crap (including getting 7.8 and being left behind in the long-term) but this is just rediculous. This is no way to threat fans!!!

*I was considering the HTC 8X as my next phone

sinlessearth says:

And this is one more reason to get a Nokia. They support their products. I still haven't received the last update for my HD7 and that was almost a year ago. HTC blows. I use to have a blackberry and blackberry 10 is looking nice. I love windows phone but I never had issues updating my berry.

tristandyer says:

That may be a carrier issue as opposed to HTC. My HD7 is up to date on Bell in Canada.

schlubadub says:

Yep, my HD7 is up to date on Telstra in Australia. Tango rolled out in August IIRC

macastle says:

This is why Microsoft is doing their own hardware. I will never buy an HTC product again. HTC YOU SUCK!!!!

Ronnet says:

This mentions that the update for the HD7 is in the 'first test round'. If HTC isnt working on the update for the HD7 then the whole list is BS.

It wouldnt suprise me if Nokia ends up being the only OEM that supports WP7.8...

I should have never bought an HTC phone... But I've learned my lesson... Again, F*ck you HTC...

Ordeith says:

At this time, Ordeith does not have plans to purchase anything from HTC again. If that should change, I'll let you know.

Neo Nuke says:

HTC: Quietly boning you

So glad I jumped to windows phone 8, this will it, won't it bs was driving me mad!! Focus S was sweet but I truly felt abandoned by att and Sammy!! Nokia, I have loads of faith, and I'm loving my 920

Jim_MAY says:

Why in the world would someone go purchase the 8x knowing down the road HTC will not support. Nokia sounding better than HTC right.

I brought the HD7 on release and only recently upgraded it for the 820.
My wife now owns the HD7 and thinks its the bees knees.

awesumjon says:

I'm never going to go with HTC again. This time I'll go with a OEM that cares about the customers that choose it's device over others.

I just got off the phone with HTC Support. The guy I spoke to was very helpful & knowledgeable. I asked him whether the HTC Trophy will be getting the 7.8 update. His response was “Ultimately, yes.” He said he could not give me a straight answer on future updates for company policy purposes. The answer was the same for all HTC WP7.5 devices besides the HD7. This means that devices like the Trophy, Mozart, Arrive, Radar, Etc… will get the update.
He also said that HTC has little to no control over 7.8 at this point. At this stage, it’s strictly up to Microsoft. HTC was able to approve all phones except the HD7 for the update. When the update is released, all HTC will do is announce that it’s released. Microsoft will release it to Zune and HTC WP7.5 users can update at their own will.
The reason the HD7 was not approved for the 7.8 update was because of one hardware deficiency: a shutter button. The lack of that one hardware requirement makes the HD7 ineligible for the update.
This is what the customer service representative was able to share with me. It seems like this ultimately does not fall on the backs of HTC, but rather Microsoft.

alex6272 says:

That's very interesting information, I hope the rep was correct. I will be really disappointed if my HTC Surround doesn't get 7.8.

tristandyer says:

A shutter button? Isn't that part of the wp7.0 baseline spec? My HD7 has a two phase shutter button.

yosagojimbo says:

Could've sworn my old HD7 had a dedicated shutter button

I don't actually own and haven't played with a HD7 before. So I didn't exactly know what he was referring to. But he was able to pin point that hardware requirement specifically as the reason the HD7 is not compatible with 7.8.

schlubadub says:

What nonsense - my HD7 has a dedicated camera button like any other WP. We have Tango perfectly fine... I don't see what a new start screen has anything to do with the camera

wpguy says:

Calling BS on the lack of a hardware shutter button. Guess that button I press all the time to focus, and press harder to snap a photo is a figment of my imagnation.

Ridlah says:

I just emailed HTC about the HD7 twitter post and included how i would leave HTC for their lack of updates and the person replied back mentioning he would forward my desire for 7.8.
"I have also forwarded your comments to the appropriate department."

tristandyer says:

Well, seeing as I still have a year and a half on my 3 year contract this is quite frankly a kick to the ballsac.
Last HTC phone I will ever buy.

Well that's just great. Can't afford to upgrade and now o won't get the update (typing from hd7 now). Screw HTC and the beats the rode in on. Never again will I buy their hardware.

LaNiQuE says:

I get that you guys are pissed but shouldn't you be sitting on a upgrade mines is very far away tho my 900 will be updated... So go buy a w8p and help us make it through the Rim storm thats coming

dumbog says:

I am one of the few that still has the HTC HD7 and I had almost made up my mind about buying the Nokia Lumia series and this just made the decision so much easier. Over the years I had two other HTC Windows phones and I liked that they were putting out updates, but this and also the fact that they say the maps are free but then after a month tell you that you have to pay shows them as being not sticking with loyal customers. All for Nokia now.

ArousedSpoon says:

As a HD7 owner with little under a year left on my contract, who was planning on upgrading to an 8X, this is really dissapointing. Looks like it's time to switch to Nokia.

morpheus1982 says:

The HD7 was their first wp7 and released over 2 years ago! Blame Microsoft for taking to long to release 7.8! I had one for 18 months during that time window and then moved on. The fact that some got the phone on contract long after global release is irrelevant.

John20212 says:

Microsoft should take care of the update themselves if the OEM is lazy and does not care about its customers. All I can say is HTC won't be getting my business any time soon, Nokia here I come.

ej1024 says:

Why would you even own a hd7 right now... Come on men you have to let go...i still have my hd7 as a back up.. Hd7-710-titan2-900 and im witing for an aluminum NOKIA

schlubadub says:

There's nothing to buy right now. Neither 8X or 920 have microSD so I'm not bothering. ATIV has it, but it's too big & plasticy. I'll probably abandon HTC after this, even though my HD7 has been amazing and regularly updated so far. Not giving us the very last update is insulting to say the least.

Dannay says:

Im so annoyed!! My hd7 isn't even two years old yet I got it in July 2011 and didn't wanna get a new phone till October this year :( this sucks im not going to get another HTC again then.

Pages