Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Forcing the Windows Phone 7.8 update: Camera button not required but patience is

If you've checked your Windows Phone 7.5 device for the 7.8 update with no success, you may want to try to force the process, just as we did with other Windows Phone updates like Mango.

This is a little different than downloading and installing Windows Phone 7.8 manually, which we reported on earlier. With this method you're basically tricking the Microsoft servers to recognize your Windows Phone and initiating the update early. Think of it as cutting in line (and Microsoft is okay with this, no worries).

The other benefit with this method (versus the CAB one) is it means you are getting the official carrier/OEM update that usually includes the firmware too. If using just CABs you are updating the OS but not any device specific software. That's not a bad thing but it's really not ideal.

How to

Forcing requires patience and the ability to disconnect your computer from the internet. Make sure you have the Wifi and your data connection turned off on your Windows Phone and connect to Zune.  Go to settings and check for an update and as soon as you click the "Update" link in the settings you'll need to disconnect from the internet.

Let Zune come back and tell you that it can't check for an update right now, reconnect to the internet and you should see that an update is now available. Timing seems to be key and it may take you a few tries to get things just right (took me six tries).  From there you follow along with the update wizard and your Windows Phone is updated.

Windows Phone Updates

If this trick doesn't work, it likely means that the update files for your device aren't out there on the servers yet to be installed.  We were successful in forcing the update on the AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 but couldn't get the HTC HD7S to update.  When all was said and done, the Windows Phone version ended up being 7.10.8858.136.

Interesting note on the 7.8 update is that it provides support for devices without a camera button. More than likely this is for future low-end devices like the Alcatel One Touch where the lack of a camera button will keep production costs down.  You may see this in a smaller update that installs before the 7.8 update goes through.

Step by step instructions to force the Windows Phone 7.8 update

1. Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
  2. Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
  3. Time to force the update. Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update). Then click the Update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
  4. Wait 30 seconds or so and Zune should display a notification that an update is available.
  5. Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.
  6. Depending on what OS build you are starting with, you may be prompted for several OS updates
  7. Let the phone update and wait. The final OS build is 8858. If you are getting just 8779, you'll want to repeat 1-4 above
  8. You may also be prompted to install a firmware update at the very end, follow through with this
  9. Celebrate! The whole process, including backup could take up to 60 minutes. Check that you are on build 8858 to see if you are done.

What if this method just doesn't work?

This won't work for every Windows Phone out there, only those that are officially designated for the 7.8 update, so your experience will vary.

If you don't get the update, it can mean one of two things.

1. Your software update is literally not on Microsoft's servers for your phone/carrier. Try again in a few days.
  2. Your update may never come.

On the second point, we're not too confident generation one devices or Sprint's Arrive will ever "officially" get this update, which is why try as they might this method will never work. For you folks, you'll have to do the more tricky manual CAB method.That will do the job but obviously it won't include any firmware. C'est la vie.

Let us know in the comments if you've had success with the forcing trick to get the update.

Comments

court6714 says:

Anyone get the updat thats on T-Mobile USA

Dreadi66 says:

Just got it for Lumia 800 using the Zune disconnect trick...There were 3 seperate updates altogether but I persevered and got it done. I'm on Orange in the UK and now quite content with my Lumia... I can avoid shelling out for the new WP8 for now lol

mikeharden says:

I did the manual update with my HTC Arrive in Sprint and works great. So far no issues.

Pelatz says:

Please don't play with your fellow sprint users emotions.

Hellow Zah says:

CONFIRMED  worked with ROGERS Canada L900.  Had to do it twice.  Once to get 8779.  can't believe i didnt have that one already?  then after 3-6 attemps got the 883 one. aka 7.8.  Sweet!!!!

bronzekid91 says:

FINALLY!
Quick tip guys make sure the build number is.8858.136 That is WP7.8
On my first try I got a small update to MANGO , now on my second try , I got 7.8

TURN AIRPLANE MODE ON
AND LEAVE IT ON . WAIT ATLEAST 6-7 SECONDS AND THEN TURN UR WIFI /INTERNET OFF .

If you get the error of "can't connect or check updates at this time" you turned it off too quickly. Be patient, and good luck. Updating now

LUMIA 900 ATT , NYC

rdaskew says:

Connected my Samsung Focus(Rogers) to Zune and boom! update available, 2 updates then updated to 7.10.8858.136, very surprised since I had to do the trick for Mango update.

eddedd1985 says:

Nice!!! Works great LUMIA 800 UK. i instald 3 updates and last one was 8858...finaly. thanks

mnnD says:

Has anyone gotten the error code: C1010009? I have a carrier unlocked ATT branded Nokia Lumia 900. The prompt for the update comes up on it's own. I can start the process. After the step 2 of 10 though, it gives me that error code. I haven't been able to figure out what the code means.

rdaskew says:

Try a different USB port on your computer.

mnnD says:

Wish that helped. Thank you though

tbonenga says:

This will also happen if you don't have enough free memory on your phone.

mnnD says:

I will free up space and see if that is the issue.

Hellow Zah says:

ROGERS USERS NEED AT LEAST 3 UPDATES. to get the 7.8 one.  They are cumualtive so they have to be installed.  the instructions are wrong saying if you get 8779 start over.  What you do is update it everytime.  The number keeps rising until 8853 one.

thaman04 says:

Worked for me!
Rogers Samsung Focus here!

I had to install the first update twice, and then the third update was the big 7.8 (7.20.8858.136) update. :)

silverdoe says:

Anyone got it working with Omnia7 on Orange UK yet?

Alvin Tran says:

Is anybody able to change the default browser search engine? I was able to update my ATT L900 but can't seem to be able to change the default search engine. I thought this feature is included in the update, am I right?

schlubadub says:

No such feature

Shiroi says:

Oh man, I liked the camera button requirement. That's one of the features that mattered to me and made me switch to Windows Phone.

RobinPaul says:

Wel I give up, after 4 hours of trying cable trick. Lumia 710 has 2 updates installed / Lumia 800 has 1 update installed. Hopefully both will say tomorrow: Update Available.

astroboy#WP says:

Worked for me on my Gen 1 Samsung Focus. Three updates in total. Only problem in the directions was I needed to make sure WiFi and cellular on my phone was off too before it would work. Thank you Microsoft for leaving this little loop hole in Zune available to us crazy techies!

thirdday2002 says:

+1 Same exact experience on my old Samsung Focus. My backup phone is 7.8ified!

StevePT says:

What carrier is your guy's Samsung Focus 1st Gens on?

kim q says:

Follow the steps and was able to update on the fourth try. But now after updating to 7.8, and going to into the marketplace and look at an app, then side scroll to see more details but once it reaches the related apps an error comes up: Marketplace error, we're sorry but we can't complete your request right now. Try launching Marketplace again. If the problem continues, check back in a little while, or try restarting your phone. error code: 80070057. I have restart the phone many times and waited about two hours and the result is the same. Anyone else getting the same error?

oscarbum says:

I've spent the last ten hours trying to get this to work on my Lumia. Decided it would just be easier to cancel AT&T. Problem solved. Yay!

xconomicron says:

haha good luck with that...ATT will not miss you.

baj78 says:

And give up the "surf the web while you talk"? Lol

tororojo says:

NO LUCK WITH TITAN 2,ive done force updates before and im having no luck...anybody having issues with titan 2?

djdoubt03 says:

No go here either, wish someone would verify if a Titan II update is coming and if the got it.

all_trev says:

GOT IT!!!! or atleast beginning to download the update. boomshakalaka Lumia 900

Shobiz says:

I tried for 2 hours. O don't see how you guys get to wait 4-5 seconds. I have to pull the plug as soon as it says "checking." It gives me 2 seconds at the most.

all_trev says:

after you ran the first update check did you unplug your phone from the computer, reconnect and run the update check again? you should have enough time then. But really 2 seconds should be enough to disconnect from the internet

tororojo says:

same here shobiz, which phone are you trying to update?

Shobiz says:

Nokia Lumia 900 on At&T.  I did everything that everyone has mention.

RazaNaqvi says:

I managed to update my Lumia 900, but I don't see the new start screen. The version number indicates I have build 8858 running, but even when I hold down on a tile on the start, I don't see more size options like I expected. What gives?

I updated my Lumia 710. I have now Windows Phone 7.8 but the application to share bluetooth does not work. It says that is not compatible with the version of operating system...

bronzekid91 says:

Try restating your phone .

ramrac says:

I wrote a post about how to force the update with sucess and without any luck and "feeling" here, maybe you can include the relevance of waiting for the network connection to show a sign of clear activity before pulling the plug (otherwise you get a "no connection" error - waiting to long will get you a "no update found") into this article. You can check it if you want, the last updates from 7.0 to 7.8 since I have had my phone, it always took me 10-40 tries, now that I have found that trick it worked on the first try every single time.

akashpats says:

what's the trick ??

ramrac says:

Here's the direct link to my comment (it's on another wpcentral article, I am not poaching for clicks, don't worry):

I updated my Lumia 710. I have now Windows Phone 7.8, but the application Bluetooth Share does not work. I downloaded it from Marketplace, but when I open it, says that does not work with the version of my Operating System... :(

Bee Mon says:

Updating now on my unlocked Lumia 710 from Malaysia. The update was detected immediately so I did not have to force it.

goofbox says:

Just got my phone to pick up the update using the "disconnect" method ...Rogers/Canada. It took several tries and it looks like I was missing 2 updates prior to....it's updating right now! cannot wait!

Can anybody help me? I have a Nokia Lumia 900 (AT&T) and it says my phone is up to date. Why wont it let me install 7.8?

Well I just got the forced update to work so we will wait and see if it fully installs. :)

RobinPaul says:

I forced 1 of the 3 updates on my phone and cant force the other 2, will i still get them after (like automatically from the server / getting a message saying i have update, cause i get fed up after 4 hours trying

Jack Gmt says:

Help me I completed Update my phone To 7.8
but I got only 2 update 1st showing from nokia telling camera support without key
and 2nd is for os build 7.10.8858.136
but there is no blutooth share or ringtone maker on marketplace
what to do?

boss.king says:

OK, I have 8858 installing now. The trick I found is to let it check properly the first time (and between updates), then try the disconnect trick. I didn';t let it check after the first update and it didn't work for ages, tried again and let it check fully, nailed out the next step, let it check fully again, and then got 8858 after a 2 second count.

Good luck guys

RegalWinston says:

Yeah I can't get it to force updated. Womp womp. Patience is a virtue

I do have an AT&T Lumia 900. I couldn't update with my mac. I downloaded Zune on my friends Computer and the update with the cable trick worked at the first time. I like the different sizes of the tiles. But i truly like only one theme colour. Not really a huge update.

cowboy620 says:

I have a friend at Verizon that works in tech I'll find out when and if Verizon gonna release the update for trophy. Watch for my comment right here later today.

zorb58 says:

Any word on that Verizon Trophy?

It's later today...now. Although, I'm sure the answer will be "Nope, no Android updates this week. What? Trophy's not Android?"

wetworker says:

I updated mine from earlier this evening. Rogers - Toronto - Canada.
Here is my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQvFolAWUg

MattLFC says:

Same old WP shite, instead of just making the update available when connected to Zune, lets fook the process up, so we leave some users waiting for months, whilst the update is clearly available to roll out... And people wonder why im gradually becoming disillusioned with Microsoft and windows phone...

bronzekid91 says:

We waited for more than 6 months and all we got was these lousy times..

I guess for MISFT a screenshot function might come when WP7.9.99 arrives..... IN 2014!
Fu** this , im going back to iphone , at least they have something called UNIVERSAL SEARCH

bronzekid91 says:

We waited for more than 6 months and all we got was these lousy tiles..

schlubadub says:

Noone ever said it was coming to WP7... but it is in WP8

barnettb99 says:

We have ATT and live in KY ... Iwe have Lumia 900 cyan .. Did hers from Navifirm and Nokia Suite. Working perfect ...

jamsjordn says:

No luck on both an unlocked HTC Titan and a Telstra HTC Mozart which is supposed to be unlocked. I'll give it a day hopefully it is just overloaded servers and dodgy internet and not my meddling with my Titan's ROMs.

schlubadub says:

Unlocked doesn't necessarily mean unbranded. Unlocked means you can use any SIM, like the HD7 phone I have which is a Telstra branded device (I use Vodafone though). I still have to wait for Telstra to release the updates. However, I have done the cable-disconnect-trick and it's currently updating (the 2nd update so far).

pookiewood says:

Finally got my father in laws ATT L900 updating.  Someone mentioned counting to 4 Mississippis but it took me seven Mississippis.  Everyones internet connections are different experiment with counting.

perfectly worked on HTC Titan i received updates me now wp 7.8

TechnoTim says:

1202 am I see the update on Nokia Lumia 900 att

TechnoTim says:

1202 am update available on Nokia Lumia 900 ATT

williewillus says:

Successful, ATT 900
3 tries for firmware update, another 3 for 7.8

Jack Gmt says:

Oh yes update give me to pair my phone with laptop via bluetooth

Jack Gmt says:

somebody help me where is bluetooth share app

Gilgameshi says:

The network cable trick works, but takes awhile to get the timing down; just don't forget to turn the internet back on before pressing that update button!

ResonantEcho says:

I just updated my "HTC Arrive" (Sprint) using the manual method.  Works great.  I installed each update (total of 3) one at a time.  I'm now running 7.8.  Now to play with my icons tomorrow. ;)

noshiro21 says:

does anybody know if they will have it for the LG quantum? i notice that i need to run zune, does it work with windows 8 OS? please reply to my comment with a response...thanks.

goldy17venky says:

Thanks A Lot wpcentral.com !!! Worked for my Lumia 900.. Though have to try atleast 20-30 times before getting it, but finally have it !! Yeahhhh !!

I used the 'forcing' method to update my Lumia 610 on Koodo in Canada. During the afternoon this method went very smoothly to force the Nokia Update and the preliminary Update for Windows Phone 7.10.8783.12 Update. However it took me until late evening to receive 8858.136. Fat tiles filling up the screen! Thank you Microsoft, Nokia and Koodo.

Update my htc 7 mozart to Windows Phone 7.10.8858.136
Rumanian . tnx

Jack Gmt says:

hey anybody getting bluetooth share or ringtone maker
i don't get it after update

xconomicron says:

Haven't been released by NOkia...yet.

In fact about 3 weeks ago, it was released to the marketplace (as I had installed ringtone maker to my Titan). However, after I flashed to another custom rom, it appeared Nokia took them off the marketplace for a later release date.

Tafkas373 says:

Man, it is smooth!!! Feels like a new phone to me. I like Xboxish touch on the Zune tile too. Awesome! L800

monigal2 says:

I haven't gotten it yet :-(, L900

TimothyAk says:

For all the Dutch people in the Netherlands. My lumia 800 is updating right now to 7.8. It took me like 30 min and it is just a matter of waiting and patience.

iamoniwaban says:

So close with this force method. I attach phone, click update, disconnect from WiFi. It checks for a bit, then my phone alerts me there is an update. However since I am,disconnected when I reconnect it searches again and it says no updates.

Scatty69 says:

forcing it on my l710 cro t-mob :D

Payam ACE says:

got it without doing any tricks, just connected the phone to the Windows Phone 7 Connector on my Mac. (wifi on the phone was also on)
Lumia800 unlocked, Finland

dave_ronak says:

Hey guys,
I just received WP 7.8... Loving it!! =)
but I just wonder, can anyone tell me if home + lock screen takes a screenshot.
I know it does on WP8 but does it on 7.8.

Lumia 800 Singapore Locale - residing in UAE, no carrier lock

Scatty69 says:

why dont you just try?

HTC mozart being updated right now... I didn't have to disconnect my internet. I plugged in my Zune and it automatically detected the new update..
7.8 is downloading as I type. I had to go through 2 other small updates before this one.
One for a fix for an email syncing issue and the 2 one for was that 'no camera button' thing.
Located right under India. :)

THE EXCITEMENT IS OVERWHELMING!!!!!

I am now officially on 7.8!! :D THANK YOU MS ..

C4RL0S says:

LG Optimus 7 on Telus in Canada.
It took about 20 tries using the disconnect trick, but it finally updated. I had to repeat the process 2 more times for more updates. But after getting the first update, each next update only took a couple tries. Remember to turn off wifi and data on the phone.

EAA575 says:

Works on HTC Arrive. The Start Screen makes a huge difference! And the update just makes the phone feel fresh :D

windows phone 7.8
No bluetooth share
No Ringtone maker
No Google set "home"
My guess is that this update is no different from 7.5 Can only new Live Tiles

Jack Gmt says:

oh and i think only i who doesn't get bluetooth share and ringtone maker

I tried this method for 2 hours using Wi-Fi on a laptop. I couldn't get my LG Quantum to update as it kept on giving the "No internet" message. I then read comments which said that it meant that I disconnected too soon. I tried for an hour, this time timing with a stop watch. The message for "phone up to date" appeared at 4.5 seconds. I tried disconnecting from 3-4.5 seconds and nothing worked. After that second hour, I just gave up.
Either the update hasn't come to the LG Quantum in Australia, the servers haven't gotten the file yet or that doing it with Wi-Fi in Australia is next to impossible.
If anyone can give advice, it would be much appreciated. Or if there is another method for force updating, please reply ASAP
If not, I'll just try with ethernet when I can.

alekalek says:

Thanks for the clear instructions! Worked for me without a problem here in Switzerland (unlocked 710 on Orange). I did have to go through two updates before "7.8" came along.

ktmlycan says:

Hi I'm from Singapore just updated to WP 7.8 Singtel Carrier. The trick works! Just need a little patience and to find the correct timing to unplug the Ethernet cable. The timing is quite random, it may be 1-5 secs it depends. If after the first update you don't see the 7.8 start screen, don't worry, just repeat the process again as I had to update twice to get it. One thing to note is do not ever try to turn on the cellular connection in your settings after zune and your phone prompt you "Update Found" which I did, it immediately cancelled my update and stated no updates found and I have to go over the process again. You may go here http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/lumia-software-update/ to confirm the firmware is correct and up to date for your Lumia.

Duffau says:

If I've already updated via cab files (impatient me), can I still get on Zune and get the firmware updates or is it too late?

Nilesh Jena says:

Just running the 3rd update i.e 8858 update.
The phone is going to update 3 times so you will have search for updates unplug and replug ethernet cable 3 times,
Lumia 710 here in India.

mrad_man says:

after like 20 times trying to force the update, it finally came through.. :-) I don't know if it helped, I changed my phone's name and immediately after that forcing to update worked..

Omnia 7 - tmobile - Croatia

Gavin Fielke says:

My GF got the update automatically but I had to force it all 4 updates before I got to the final one.
It would seem that there needs to be the 3 incrimental updates installed before the final one goes in so keep on updating until a feature mentioned in one of the top paragraphs is "20 accent colours"
The below link shows all of the updates going in today one after the other.

Gavin Fielke says:

I can't edit my post but forgot to mention how important turning off your phones data is.
I tried a few times before I realised I had made that mistake.
Either turn off wifi and mobile data which are two seperate settings or just enter Airplane Mode before trying the update otherwise you still have an internet connection no matter how many times you pull your network cable.

Jameson Chu says:

Thanks!!! Worked on my Nokia Lumia 800! Took me 3 tries, waited for about 5 secs then disconnect Wi-fi! :D

btbam91 says:

I am stuck here and it won't move! Tried 10 different times for hours!

KingJj says:

Finally updating my HTC HD7 after a few (less than 15) trials and failing....yipppppeeeeeeeeee

I just upgraded to 7.8 but now I am having a slight problem regarding marketplace icon.When I resize it to small size I get the new Windows Store logo but when I resize it to medium size I get the default 7.5 icon.Is this normal?

zmao says:

Whenever i disconnect wifi connection I get  "can't check for updates right now. please try again later"
what then?

zmao says:

newermind :)

Surendar says:

whooo.. . There are two more updates before the 7.8 which I have to do. Took me 7-8 attempts. forced the update on my Omnia 7, unlocked phone and currently in India..

suraj.das says:

Ah finally the cable trick worked <3 had to disconnect it after 8 seconds!! Omnia w from india

easynote says:

Update at this moment LG E900 unbranded from Portugal :D

Jameson Chu says:

1st update got me to 8779, now going to 8783, hopefully the 3rd one would get me to 8858.

easynote says:

False alarm, me too. XDD

luiscamino says:

worked with my HTC Trophy! (Vodafone Spain). it took no less than FIVE updates actually. turns out i didn't even have Tango :D
WPcentral should write a story soon about how successful this update is being (provided you use the trick, of course).

Hi, right now 8858 update is installing on my LG Optimus 7. The cable trick - actually in my case i was trying on a mobile connection on my laptop. The first update was 8779, then 8783. For these two i had to do the trick just 2 or 3 times. But for 8858 i tried like 20 times. Zune kept saying i had the last software (8783). And then, suddenly, another final update. So now, my Optimus 7 is running version 7.8. My carrier is Vodafone Romania.

Got it! Done! Lumia 900! DKR Germany!

raananan says:

Worked for Samsung Omnia 7 from SFR.

Kevin Cruz says:

Waited all day while occassionally trying this and it finally worked! I'm guessing there was just too much traffic but oh well.  I have my Lumia 900 updated and it looks freakin sexy! The only flaws I have noticed so far is some minor lag when moving tiles around, might just be me or my phone but there seems to be a higher sensitivity, and some apps have somewhat blurry tiles because the square tiles are enlarged.  Other than that I am content with this update.  I don't know about Microsoft but Nokia is usually faithful to providing more service to customers in the form of updates and apps so I am hopeful that this may not be the last update for Lumia 900.

easynote says:

One more left for my E900 :)

mkikj12 says:

My unlocked HTC Radar got the update on Zune this morning, I didn't have to force anything. Good luck guys!!

easynote says:

Finally done :D
I'm happy now. eheheh

korg250 says:

So no update yet for AT&T Focus, even with the trick?

blakeynz says:

Currently have 7.8 installing using the trick above on my Trophy, Vodafone New Zealand.(after 4 other updates)

Trick only worked for me using a laptop with wifi hot key. approx 2.5 seconds after searching for update turn off and when its been looking for 12seconds turn wifi back on

Fellipe Abib says:

I've updated my HTC Mozart and it works just fine, but... Seriously? I thought 7.8 come with several updates and new stuff.. But few things changed.. The mainly change was the new start screen. What about corner kids? Password with pictures? Those things does not require a powerful hardware to accept these changes/updates.

DJ Mr P says:

I can confirm that this works on nokia Lumia 800

DJ Mr P says:

need to wait 3 seconds. This is in the uk

DJ Mr P says:

Just to add to this..... I had the do 3 updates to get to the final main one

nemenv says:

successfully updated my Focus S - no forcing required. Just plugged it in and Zune launched and updated automatically. ATT branded but unlocked and using in Australia

ZTE Tania WORKS!! It took me like a 100 tries but it worked (dont get all fired up when you get 8783 :D)

Well it works alright. The new start screen is there and tiles work as they should.. Things missing is the bluetooth file transfer app, screenshot and ringtone maker. This is on a HTC Radar. (India)

Saulys says:

Lithuania. Updated succesfully. Samsung Omnia 7. Greetings to all wpcentral community :)

xCort says:

Lithuanian keyboard?

MrSean490 says:

Update works in Australia, no trick required. LG Optimus 7.

Plaschke says:

Oh goodie :) Unlocked Omnia 7 in Denmark. 7.8 in house!

Fer Cos says:

It just worked for me with Movistar Argentina on a Lumia 900. Had to install upgrades as described and had to wait 5 sec to disconnect my computer from internet. I had to install two updates, though. 7.10.8783.12 first and then the 7.10.8858.136 one showed up.
Good luck!

pls help me
i have nokia lumia 800,
OS version is: 7.10.8773.98
Firmware revision number: 1750.0805.8773.12220

Is this the latest update for 7.5??

And what updates come, except 7.8?

Mark Richey says:

Patience is right. Busily updating my unlocked Titan now. Happy camper, but it is a frustratingprocess.

On the second legnow; 7.10.8783.12. wondering if I will have a third go-round, or if this time it will pop both in. The little bugger gets faster and faster finding that it is updated. They were right that the timing changes as you go on.Good lukc, everyone!

shinho says:

Lumia 800 : UK : Three network
Detected the first update with using the Zune trick
But failed on second update to 7.10.8783.12 .
It failed at the point where it was rebooting the phone (Nothing at all on the screen, but did detected the phone as removable media and asked me to format the drive)
Left it like that for a while and did nothing
Soft reset my phone, tried again still failed on seconds update (dark screen and removable storage asking to format)
Another soft reset, uninstalled Zune and then reset my phone to start again, and it now it says no update available
Will try the Zune trick again later

link containsnothing dude...

contains nothing dude... check ur link... nd by the way did u got bluetooth file transfer in update... because mine update is complete but no bluetooth file transfer... bluetooth feature is still same...

Mark Richey says:

"Great success!" - Borat. Now installing 7.10.8585.136 "Provides new Start screen ...etc@"
For those of you havingtrouble, I think you have to hold your tongue right while you do it.

Seriously, don't forget to go back to step 1 if you have trouble. It seemed different for me each time, but the most frustrating was after the first install. At that point, I rebooted, started from scratch, and pulled it off. The easiest was the third.

Sorry....paused to watch step 8 - restarting the phone. Pretty blue splash with the new Windows logo...man, those 1/2 sized tilesare big on the Titan. now to play. Have fun everybody.

MillionMonks says:

No Love from Singtel (Singapore) on my Lumia 610 :(

FernandoDB says:

I did this and worked, but after this I can´t download any nokia software, they don´t appears in my marketplace and I can´t download by direct link, any clue ?

amityriot says:

Just found an update using this trick with a locked Lumia 800 on Orange UK - need to start again with free space on my phone though! took me about 10 seconds and i think it helped by disabling other network connections on windows that might still show up as a "connection" - i disabled my hamachi connection and my (out of range) wifi adapter as precautions

Stucked on Step 6 of 10 on the first update, is it normal?

Carrver86 says:

Looks like i'm one of the unlucky ones, my O2 locked HD7 isn't working with the wired trick, its also not finiding a update normally. Might have to manually update it this weekend. :(

Ionosphere says:

You and me both, been at the cable trick on and off for the last 4 hrs, no joy on O2 Locked and Branded HTC HD7 (Yet).

Fallenclient says:

Same here. Tried on and off with HD7 on O2. Their forum post on 7.8 didnt list any HTC phones and no response from a tweet to O2UK yet.

Carrver86 says:

Thankfully its not just me then. Be intresting to see what the response from O2UK is. I'd of thought that seeing as every other phone & network and even non O2 locked HD7s are getting updated it should be soon we do.

Fallenclient says:

Spoke to Nelson O2 Guru (yea i know wasting my time). He was of the opinion it was down to the manufacturer to release. Stuck to this even when i pointed out it was on other HTC HD7's not on O2.... Still no response from O2UK.

Carrver86 says:

Yeah the Gurus are pretty crap. They don't really know enough to be called Gurus.

Ionosphere says:

I've used WPHackers Seven-Eighter (See home page feed here) and updated to 7.8, painless and working perfectly, 78er itself crashed after every phone reboot but ran the following update once re-started. (Win7 x64). I had the 3 cumulative updates with reboots and install time, 11 minutes flat.
I've noy lost any data, none of the settings in place were effected, it is exactly as was right down to the last played song on the way into work this morning, it's just 7.8 now.

Fallenclient says:

Cool i did look at the article on seven to eight but i am holding out that i wont need to use it as it seems to be a very mixed bag reading its comments. I did have a response from O2 asking for my model of HTC phone so hopefully they know something and come back to me later. Anyone tried the cable trick today?

Carrver86 says:

Yeah its not working still. i'm holding out doing the manual update too as my WP7 is my only phone I did tweet O2 myself and got a reply today saying did I try updating via Zune?
I replied saying" yes and it says no update avaliable, also tried the wire trick and still didn't get a update. "
It seems to me that O2 arnt that bothered about it as they tend to be flirting on their twitter feed more than answering customers. (if last night was anything to go buy.) Tbh I may leave when when my contract comes up, as i'm not impressed by their Gurus and their twitter support. But i'll let you know when I get a reply.
EDIT: I thought I tweet them saying is it possible for them to unlock my phone so I can leave them when I contract expires. As judging from their tweets they do unlock your phones. (Would aid in the update also said in me leaving O2.)

Carrver86 says:

According to O2 (phoned them) if you can't get the update on your HD7 phone its a fault with the phone so take it into your local O2 store and explain to them.
EDIT: I can't wait to be there when they open tomorrow and get them to look at it. (Excited)
EDIT2: if you have a manual update/unoffical then then i'm guessing they wounnt look at it. Also makre sure to back up your contacts and stuff as i'll assume that O2 most likely will perform a reset.

Fallenclient says:

DOH! Saw you reply late after applying seven to eighter. After a promising start i got the O2 response of "Sorry we have no updates on this" so i assumed i was on my own. Will be interesting to hear how you get on. If they dont do anything then at least i know as Ionosphere did that the seven to eighter works just Run as Administrator and restart it when it crashes after each update install. I may revert mine now and take it to the local O2 tomorrow.

Carrver86 says:

I'll let you know. Got the blokes name so I'l lbe in there saying WTF is going on?

Carrver86 says:

Ok just got back from them and their "Guru" had a look at it and it seems all he did was plug it into Zune and got told there was no update avaliable. They wanted £25 to send the phone to HTC for repair, they also said (after them initially denying that there is in fact a new update out) that its slow to roll out so it could be that it hasn't reached my handset yet. They didn't listen to me when I said but other people who have HTC HD7 have already got the update. So i've just requested a unlock code from them and will go to pay as you go for the moment with another provider as O2 is just being crap.

Fallenclient says:

Interesting as another O2 branded HD7 i picked up for my son got the update just short of the 7.8 one where as my HD7 is still two updates back... O2 guru didnt help one bit as you wrote he just plugged it in to Zune. Im going to seven to eight it as i dont intend to spend any more time on it. Crazy really that it isnt consistent even on two same brand same make/model phones.

Kal B1 says:

Just installing the update on my unbranded Samsung Omnia 7. I had to do the disconnect/connect thing several times because I haven't updated the phone since Mango :P Just installing now....can't wait!! lol

Robin Bulham says:

Hi all,
Im not sure if another method was already mentioned, but I tried another way to get an forced update.

1. Connect your device and open zune
2. Open command prompt and type in: ipconfig/release (Do not press enter yet)
3. Press in Zune "Update"
4. wait about 4 seconds and press in Cmd Prompt "enter"
5. Zune will a update
6. Type in Cmd Prompt ipconfig/renew
7. Follow the steps in zune
I had to try it a few times and had to install 2 updates en the third was the final one.
I hope, that if the other method doesn't work for you, that this method works. It worked for me. :)
Let me know...

Robin Bulham says:

When you types ipconfig/renew, press enter right away, otherwise you don't have an internet connection...;)

Buelligan says:

SWEET! My WP7 Pro (Arrive) is on the second update now (8783) Hopefully it will go to the last step! So much for Arrive not getting it!

Buelligan says:

Updating my WinPro7 (Arrive) to 8858 as we speak!!!!!!!

CliveMerritt says:

And now my nokia lumia 800 is performing an update after 'forcing' it, very helpful advice, took a couple of trys with the disconnecting trick,

vafo says:

Unlocked Omnia 7 in Portugal, Success! (took 3 updates)

alijahg34 says:

USA at&t HTC titan Gen 1,? anyone updated to 7.8 yet thanks.

Nope :(

I've been trying since last night but no luck on my at&t HTC TITAN.
I know I'm doing it right cos of three things:
1. If I DC the net too late = It says your phone is up to date.
2. If I DC the net too early = It immediately gives me the message that you are not connected to the internet, try again.
3. If I time it perfectly = It does what the instructions say., it takes about 20+ seconds, like it is doing something, but eventually does say that you are DC from the internet, try again.
Has anyone with an at&t HTC TITAN been able to get this to work?

jonharrell says:

I tried all day yesterday and had no luck. I don't think it is avaiable yet.

MetalDude says:

I've been trying on my ATT HTC Titan (Locked Phone) since yesterday also, and couldn't get anything. Very disappointing.

mms-pc says:

Just successfully updated my HD7 to WP7.8, it's good news that HTC still hasn't forgotten us first generation Windows Phone 7 users, although I do hate such method to force the update going, timing for disconnect internet is so essential that I had to try many times.......

I've been trying since last night but no luck on my at&t HTC TITAN.
I know I'm doing it right cos of three things:
1. If I DC the net too late = It says your phone is up to date.
Has anyone with an at&t HTC TITAN been able to get this to work?

Ridlah says:

That phone along with other phones like my HD7S arn't up on the servers which means you can't get them through the DC trick, im almost sure our phones will appear on the servers sometime in feburary so that we can download them.

chataddicted says:

yahooooooooooooooooooooooooo. its work force update really work with my omnia w.... im from india...

chataddicted says:

yahooooooooooooooooo its work really work samsung omnia w india..........

CliveMerritt says:

After forcing an update through it unfortunately only turned out to be this version - 7.10.8858.136.  which is in fact not the 7.8 update, so i will have to wait for it to do itself as i can no longer force through annother update, oh well...

chataddicted says:

yes thats the 7.8 update.... update that version....

SaulSantos says:

Just did it in my Lumia 610, I'm locked to Portuguese Vodafone. I thought it wouldn't work, but it did. it's indeed all about timing. Had to do it 3 times to get all the updates.

Clintiii says:

After couple of try and error.. worked perfectly for my Samsung Omina W(India) ,,,!!!

datalossfs says:

Worked for with a HTC Mozart from Phones4U on Vodafone but sold unlocked/unbranded. Had to install/force two other updates first and then finally another couple of attempts to get 7.8 to force install.

How do you do the ROG-CA trick? I don't see it in the registry.

Caltech13 says:

Worked great on my HTC Radar last night! Lovin' 7.8! Thanks for the tips guys!

ruddevil says:

Got the force update working on my Omnia 7 16 GB unlocked and my friend's Radar 8 GB unlocked. No one gets left behind it seems. Kudos to Microsoft!

Ryan Boylett says:

Successfully updated HTC Radar without needing to force!

Ethan J says:

I'be been trying to up my LG Optimus 7 for two hours now, I've turned off both WiFi and Data Connection, I've tried Airport mode and taking the SIM card out- yet every time I disconnect and reconnect to Zune and attempt and update it gives me an error: either 8000FFFF or 80072FA8.
How do I solve this? I just want 7.8 :(

GuitarGuyJon says:

Its saying that I have 7.10 (8779) but I haven't updated it yet. My mom got the update already this morning but my dad and I have yet to get it. All three are Lumia 900 on At&t. I tried to force it but it hasnt worked yet. If anyone has a tip, please help me out!

jsfx07 says:

Has anyone had success with the dell venue pro?

erekola says:

Im from finland and my unlocked lumia 800 is being updated at the moment, took me about 10 tries before i was able to download the updates. The best way is to pull the ethernet cable off just before zune has finished checking for updates. I counted how long it did take for zune to finish checking updates and then repeated and pulled the ethernet cable about a second before it was supposed to be done. Hope it works to all of you.

Travis Knaak says:

Worked Chicago IL. 31Jan2013 0909

Travis Knaak says:

Lumia 900 AT&T

djdoubt03 says:

Any word on AT&T HTC Titan II

koffey says:

No luck yet on hd7 from Tmob

SRRAE says:

Omnia 7 on Orange
It worked for me after a few attempts, what I did was run the update and time how long it takes to say there is no update.
Click off Update and then back on to it.  This time disconnect from the internet about halfway through the update,  ie. if it said there was no update after 6 seconds, wait 3 seconds before disconnecting.
I had to do this 3 times as it installed 2 smaller updates first.

vikrant6 says:

Its working. On 7.8 now :) Samsung Omnia W India..

chataddicted says:

yeah...... now just want a bluetooth apps from sammy or microsoft just like nokia..... :D

CliveMerritt says:

2nd update done, now 3rd update has come throguh, 7.8 currently installing, this works perfectly, looking forward to changing my phone up a little,

sonosp says:

I've done this previously to get Tango, but its not work AT ALL! i've been trying this since the servers had 7.8 on them! just no luck!
HTC 7 Mozart.

ilgulamc says:

i did the cable trick and got to update to 8779.. no more luck after first update... lumia 800, switzerland

mdrapps says:

Lumia 800 on ATT updates just fine.  No tricks required.  I bought my unlocked 800 last year to do some app testing.

koffey says:

No go on the HD7 from Tmob....  sigh....

UltimateKGB says:

Forced update of UK Lumia 800 on t-mobile. Ps does the wp central small tile give news notifications

chataddicted says:

checked all comments... bad luck Koffey no hd7 still get this update....keep trying.... lumia, omnia, focus, troffy, titan tania, dvp, lg all get this update....... gr8 work ms..... love u....

schlubadub says:

You couldn't have read all the comments as many HD7 owners have reported getting the update. Currently for Bell in Canada, and in Switzerland. I have a HD7 on Telstra and I'm currently installing the first 8779 update (I already have Tango from September last year)

ej1024 says:

Damn you guys are salivating for this update.. Im not doing no tricks or anything im gonna wait for the official update for my phone I have been patient enough for months why would I be inpatient since att announced it already.. Good luck to all yoh

chataddicted says:

Thats cool but if u are trying the force update again and again nd failing each time suddenly u get the update that make u happiest person in the world........... lol..... by the way we waited this update for so long.... so cant wait any more....

HitTheBricks says:

I did the force trick and everything seemed to go through properly but I still ended up on 7.10.8783. Anyone else have this happen?

chataddicted says:

@ hit the bricks.. keep try keep try bro... ur next update is 7.8 (7.10.8858.136) all the best.....

HitTheBricks says:

I see now. I didn't read the instructions well enough. I didn't realize there was more than one update. Thanks!

ilgulamc says:

Worse, I got to update only to 7.10.8779.8, and here i'm stuck.. Lumia 800 Switzerland

dont give up.. ur next update will be 8783.... keep try

schlubadub says:

FYI I have a Telstra branded HD7 (all HD7's were unlocked by default, but not unbranded in Australia) and after a few tries I've got the first 8779 update coming through... I'll reply here with further updates...

schlubadub says:

... okay, that update went well. I had to do the cable-trick again, and it's now offered me 8783 (support for phones with no camera button etc). I'll have to run through this update later as it's time to go to work!

schlubadub says:

... Now on to 8858... I had to cable-trick again, but as it's so easy to do it's not a problem. This should be the last update! :D

schlubadub says:

BAM! and I'm done! :D :) :D :) :D
Holy cr4p those tiles are huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcr2176 says:

I have a Lumia 900 on AT&T in the US and I can't get the update. I've had no luck trying to force the update from my Mac either. Maybe I'm mising somthing. When I called AT&T they said I should be able to, but sent me to Nokia tech support. Who said to wait, becasue the update comes out in batches... Not wanting to wait any longer! lol
Any suggestions? Anyone have luck forcing and update with a Mac in the US?

Saed Shawwa says:

Still Lumia 710's "locked" T-mobile USA are not getting the updates yet...

rk8flame says:

Same boat here.

Didn't have to force. Zune served up the update this morning and other than it's typical non specific errors it gives from time to time when updating which I've determined is probably server load, 3rd time was a charm. Took about 25 minutes...

podsnap says:

Oh dear, I've turned into a little child! I'm sitting here playing with my newly updated phone and giggling!

hahahahaha same here

mjrtoo says:

For all you ATT Quantum users, I just change the MobileOperator key with the MFG app to 000-88 and I didn't need to use the trick, zune just found the update by itself.

Rockstar760 says:

Could you or somebody else tell me where I can change the key?

sonosp says:

WHY IS IT NOT WORKING FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEE?! WHY MICROSOFT WHY!?!?!?!?!? :(
(this post makes me look like an idiot)

chataddicted says:

do u get any update after 8779  like 8783???

sonosp says:

Nothing, i've not been able to force any of the 3 updates.
I know what i'm doing, its just my phone won't take it. ><

chataddicted says:

u can follw missisipi trick.... as describe bellow..... by the way is there any htc moz get this???

sonosp says:

Other Mozarts have been getting it.
Tired it most of today, it just won't work, it either tells me there is no connection or that it is up to date.
Then, on the off chance it is thinking about it - it returns saying that there is no connection :/

chataddicted says:

ok..... here is ur solution. first try to check update while ur connection is active. count tie time needed for the messege ur phone is up to date. then click wareless sync below the update.next click update again. then just before that time whn prvious msg popup disconnect ur connection.... keep try in this way.. it definately work... i also face same prob like u... this trick really work for me... all the best..

Kumar Ankit says:

the idea is to find the sweet spot to disconnect between connection not found and your phone is up to date messages.. Keep track of time and increase the time to turn off incrementally till you hit the sweet spot!

FW190D says:

YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAH.... just started on my HTC 7 Pro ( aka Arrive).At my seventh or eighth try. Do not forget to re-enable wifi just before the end of the search.. that's what I did.

congrats..... :D

FW190D says:

Thanks dude! Just finished customizing it 3 minutes ago. Looks nice!

Jeepao says:

ATT L900, Works fine after many many plug and unplug. Patience ** 10. Finaly is step 10 of 10.

cypripri says:

Worked a treat here this morning. Thanks WP central! Who knows how long I would have had to wait here with Virgin Mobile UK. 7.8 start screen is great, though everything seems to run a bit slower on my lumia 610 I find...

HPDeskjet says:

This trick worked for my HTC Radar c110e here in The Netherlands.  My 'phone is on the T-Mobile network here in The Netherlands and is not unlocked.
I had to carry out 2 updates.  The first was 7.10.8783.12 and after that the phone updated to 7.10.8558.136.

craigwalsh says:

Unlocked Lumia 800

Three Network - UK
Mine has started just now, followed the missisipi trick got to 19 missisipi's. However found a shortcut. When first checking for the update - where it comes back as "your phone is up to date" count how many missisipi's this takes to happen. as what your aiming for is to disconnect before the server reports back, for me it was 21 missisipis to connect to the server, so i tried 19 before pulling my connection and pop! it started.

chataddicted says:

exactly same i did..... nice trick thanks to missisipi.... hahaha

syncretism says:

Success in forcing update to 7.8 with lumia 800 thx wpcentral!

This forced update trick is one of the coolest Windows things I've learned! Had to do it twice; camera button update, then new UI update :-D

KingJj says:

Successfully updated my HTC HD7 unlocked phone. It took me longer than I expected and I had to do the trick 3 times for three different updates. In the end, I can confirm that HTC HD7 has updated to windows phone 7.8...I would say timing is important for the trick to work and if you keep trying, you will get it! :)

gerrymad says:

What carrier? I'm on tmobile US and no luck. I pul the ethernet cable on my computer after clicking on update. It eventually times out and says it cannot check.Once I put my computer back on line nothing happens. Am I missing a step?

Chef316 says:

Same here!!! I'm on T-Mobile US and can't get the tricks..any of them...to work. Are we doomed to settle for a ROM or the Manual CAB file dealy and chance loosing our data files????

miyagiCE says:

Getting the update as I’m typing this on my HTC 7 Pro, carrier unlocked with German Telekom branding. Had to force the update just like with Mango and Tango before. Will try my sister’s HTC 7 Mozart, also Telekom branded, once I’m finished with mine.

nancorocks says:

Just an update: Lumia 900 AT&T USA.
Yesterday i could not get the force update to work. This morning decided to try again. Got the first update on the first try. Waited 1.5-2 sec to disconnect the ethernet cable. Second update was 7.10.8858.136, waited 2.5 - 3 sec to disconnect ethernet cable. I just got 2 updates, expected 3. Anyways it is done now, hope this helps.

Pages