Windows Phone 7.8 Update

Forcing the Windows Phone 7.8 update: Camera button not required but patience is

If you've checked your Windows Phone 7.5 device for the 7.8 update with no success, you may want to try to force the process, just as we did with other Windows Phone updates like Mango.

This is a little different than downloading and installing Windows Phone 7.8 manually, which we reported on earlier. With this method you're basically tricking the Microsoft servers to recognize your Windows Phone and initiating the update early. Think of it as cutting in line (and Microsoft is okay with this, no worries).

The other benefit with this method (versus the CAB one) is it means you are getting the official carrier/OEM update that usually includes the firmware too. If using just CABs you are updating the OS but not any device specific software. That's not a bad thing but it's really not ideal.

How to

Forcing requires patience and the ability to disconnect your computer from the internet. Make sure you have the Wifi and your data connection turned off on your Windows Phone and connect to Zune.  Go to settings and check for an update and as soon as you click the "Update" link in the settings you'll need to disconnect from the internet.

Let Zune come back and tell you that it can't check for an update right now, reconnect to the internet and you should see that an update is now available. Timing seems to be key and it may take you a few tries to get things just right (took me six tries).  From there you follow along with the update wizard and your Windows Phone is updated.

Windows Phone Updates

If this trick doesn't work, it likely means that the update files for your device aren't out there on the servers yet to be installed.  We were successful in forcing the update on the AT&T Nokia Lumia 900 but couldn't get the HTC HD7S to update.  When all was said and done, the Windows Phone version ended up being 7.10.8858.136.

Interesting note on the 7.8 update is that it provides support for devices without a camera button. More than likely this is for future low-end devices like the Alcatel One Touch where the lack of a camera button will keep production costs down.  You may see this in a smaller update that installs before the 7.8 update goes through.

Step by step instructions to force the Windows Phone 7.8 update

1. Connect your Windows Phone to a PC and launch the Zune software
  2. Click on Phone > Settings > Update. Allow the software to tell you whether an update is available. If so, skip this guide. If not continue to the next step.
  3. Time to force the update. Click another button (any of the options above or below the word Update). Then click the Update button again, and this time disconnect your computer from the internet after 1-2 seconds. Do this by pulling out the Ethernet cable, disabling Wi-Fi, etc. If it says your phone is already up to date, you didn't disconnect quickly enough and need to try this step again.
  4. Wait 30 seconds or so and Zune should display a notification that an update is available.
  5. Now reconnect to the internet and continue with the update process through the Zune software.
  6. Depending on what OS build you are starting with, you may be prompted for several OS updates
  7. Let the phone update and wait. The final OS build is 8858. If you are getting just 8779, you'll want to repeat 1-4 above
  8. You may also be prompted to install a firmware update at the very end, follow through with this
  9. Celebrate! The whole process, including backup could take up to 60 minutes. Check that you are on build 8858 to see if you are done.

What if this method just doesn't work?

This won't work for every Windows Phone out there, only those that are officially designated for the 7.8 update, so your experience will vary.

If you don't get the update, it can mean one of two things.

1. Your software update is literally not on Microsoft's servers for your phone/carrier. Try again in a few days.
  2. Your update may never come.

On the second point, we're not too confident generation one devices or Sprint's Arrive will ever "officially" get this update, which is why try as they might this method will never work. For you folks, you'll have to do the more tricky manual CAB method.That will do the job but obviously it won't include any firmware. C'est la vie.

Let us know in the comments if you've had success with the forcing trick to get the update.

Comments

court6714 says:

For TMobile USA??

Yamagushi says:

I can walk you through a manual update if you want. Just did it on mine. Just reply here if you want to.

rossart12 says:

Please, I can't figure out how to manually push mine past 8107.

Yamagushi says:

If you have a Tmobile HTC Radar 4G, currently on mango (8107) with 5 language files (Deutsch, English, Espanol, Francais, and Italiano) under Settings->region+language->Display language. The following file will completely walk you through updating to WP7.8, everything included. I have done this on my own phone.
Enjoy!

I have an HTC radar. And there is no updates on Zune if I check. Will be trying the cable trick later. But U know how I could skip the cable trick and still update my phone.. Also avoiding the cab files method. Thanks

kurotsuki says:

My brother had HTC Radar. He successfully executed all three updates consecutively without any failure. We're in Indonesia though.

I want to say if you fail. Start completely over. Unhook phone, shut down zune, reconnect phone, open zune, check for update, nothing found, check again, disco the net.

jasonlacarl says:

success with unlocked htc titan on t-mobile in tx.

techtiggie says:

Omnia W updating to 7.8, finally :)
Three pre-7.8 updates had to be done through the disconnect trick though!

suraj.das says:

my phone just got updated to 8779. and says no update available after that

jersey shore says:

you have to do "unplug ethernet cable" trick one more time.

suraj.das says:

Doesnt work! I got 8779 by the cable trick!

celtic_jim says:

is anyone else unable to even download the update? My zune software shows it as available and shows the update in progress but I just can't get past 0% download. Stuck on "step 2 of 9"

DalekSnare says:

Remember to turn the internet connection back on after it detects the update.

celtic_jim says:

I did...Internet is working but the download just won't go past 0.

niyoko says:

I can confirm that Fujitsu IS12T owners on au are able to get the 7.10.8779.8 through this process. I have yet to confirm if the 8858 update is on the servers for the phone.

niyoko says:

**I'll check back later with an update on 8858.

niyoko says:

I've been able to confirm that the 7.10.8858.138 update, Windows Phone 7.8 update, is available for Fujitsu IS12T owners. I have yet to be able to download it, but AU KDDI has published documentation on their site stating that the update is available:
There is also a How-To pdf for users to follow in oder to get the update.

akar33 says:

What should be the version final version number for the Firmware revision number for the AT&T Lumia 900 in the US? Different people report differently. The Nokia site (http://www.nokia.com/us-en/support/product/lumia900/) says 2175.2905.885x.124x0, but on the forums, people report 2175.2307.8858.12480. Note this is the firmware version, not the OS version.

Why the discrepency? Is some firmware not getting installed by doing this trick? Also ATT hasn't announced the availibility of this update so there may be a possibility that all updates don't flow through.

blessthejon says:

I am getting the same problem doing this trick. I think this trick is not allowing us to download the last firmware update. That's why many people cant get the bluetooth sharing app etc.

jmagwp says:

Yeah it's just not working for me on my HTC Titan on AT&T. When I first plug the phone into the computer and it connects to Zune it takes makes 5-6 seconds to come back that the phone is up to date. Then when I click away from Update and then back it takes less than a second to come back with the phone is up to date message. So if I have to get between the "cannot connect" and "up to date" message timing down, that means I have a millisecond window. I guess I'm not that fast. Sigh.

baj78 says:

Same here. Too fast. Maybe if I had dial up

xconomicron says:

Please read the other comments, you are wasting your time.

The only phones to get this update ARE: unbranded/unlocked WP's and the ATT L900 - no one else!

ALL OTHER - ATT Titan's, Titan 2's, HD7s, Surrounds, Focus', Focus 2, Focus S, and Focus Flash are still pending release from ATT.

THAT ALSO INCLUDES: Verizon Trophy, Sprint Arrive, T-Mobile Radar/800 (locked to t mobile)

scdkad says:

Lumia 900 only! Not sure why you're trying a Titan. Please point to ATT site that says the Titan is getting it..

Mouthsmasher says:

Well screw Sprint and the HTC Arrive!! Dumping them as soon as my contract is up in May.

Pelatz says:

It is our lot in life to suffer.

Mouthsmasher says:

*Sigh* Sprint sure seems behind the times, considering they're tagline is "The Now Network" Last carrier to get iPhone, doesn't support Windows Phone at all, and from what I hear, they'll be late to the game for Blackberry too.

david126 says:

Got mine on at&t lumia 900 cyan to work and now running 7.8 after second update. Location: Los Angeles CA

rendeo says:

Succesfully updated on w8pro computer with zune and cable trick, Samsung Omnia 7 (3updates to 7.8) and our new game Armed Strike http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/armed-strike/85f2cdbb-0a0b-4217-a3d5-d63c7f802e58
working like a charm and maybe smoother :) .
Trick is to unplug a bit earlier than 2s.

david126 says:

Servers are slowing down, got stuck a few times myself for about 10 min on a few steps

drg says:

tried this morning before work quickly on L800 on telstra in Australia but no joy. anyone in Australia got the update yet?

jvdbosc says:

Managed to update to build 8779 with the disconnect trick, but no luck with further updates. L800 on Telstra (Voda branded)

jvdbosc says:

update: finally after numerous tries, I now have 7.8 fully installed on my Lumia 800. Voda branded L800 on Telstra network.

mikeeemm says:

havent had any luck on my samsung focus out in california.

jcarvajal says:

ah!!!!! it worked!!!!

att Nokia L900.
1!!!!! ahahahaha yes! thank you for the trick. did it about 5 times. airplane mode is def helps.

david126 says:

Make sure your device is in airplane mode and WiFi off when u check for update, I usually put my computer WiFi connection in airplane mode (aka pulled plug) within 4 seconds of clicking check update, timing is key, should get an update notification within 20 seconds

ebradley says:

Nothing for the Titan II

djdoubt03 says:

No Titan II here either

MichaelAPerz says:

If you're a Lumia owner that's having trouble receiving this or any other update through Zune, make sure that your PC doesn't have USB drivers for Nokia Care Suite installed (Start > Control Panel > Programs). These drivers will prevent Zune from connecting your device to the Internet to check for updates

Scatty69 says:

i have those drivers in comp & was still able to force update

pnp2013 says:

Unlocked lumia 900 in India - worked on my 8th attempt.

jodybiz says:

3 updates, 3 zune force, very well worth it! :)
Indonesia, Unlocked HTC Mozart, 7.8!

heri_cure says:

How did you get that...? I'm from indonesia too...

jodybiz says:

Halo Heri,
1. Aktifkan Airplane Mode.
2. Masuk ke Zune. Klik Settings - Phone, lalu klik Update.
3. Setelah beberapa detik Zune akan katakan "Your phone is up to date".
4. Klik salah satu menu di atas/di bawah Update, contohnya klik "Name Your Phone".
5. Siap-siap untuk mematikan link internet...
6. Klik Update.
7. Setelah beberapa detik (ini tergantung koneksi Anda. biasanya saya dapat sekitar 6-10 detik), matikan link internet.
8. Jika munculnya "Your phone is up to date", berarti Anda terlalu lama menunggu sebelum mematikan link internet.
9. Jika munculnya "Can't check for updates right now", berarti Anda terlalu cepat mematikan link internet.
10. Jika terlalu cepat/terlalu lama, ulangi kembali dari langkah 2.
11. Jika timingnya tepat, akan muncul pesan bahwa tersedia update... nyalakan link internet lalu tinggal klik Update.
Ada 3 updates untuk sampai ke 7.8. Dan ketiganya harus melakukan proses force seperti di atas. Saya udah update HTC Mozart dan Nokia 710. Semua okeh. Selamat mencoba!

DJCBS says:

Well I tried to update my old L800 (Deutsch T-Mobile) with this trick and no luck. I know the update is on Nokia's servers as I've seen it on Navifirm. So I clearly lack the hability to perform this. Oh well...seems my mother will have to wait for the "official" release. :P

thinn149 says:

Mine will say checking for updates for like 30 minutes and never tell me update found or not found when I disconnect... Lumia 900 att

david126 says:

Restart zune

aa.flores says:

as of RIGHT NOW...I have the Nokia Lumia 900 from AT&T and attempted the force uprade, I live in Virginia and it's currently upgrading. After you disconnect the wi-fi from your internet, give it some time to bring the update itself. It'll come up on it's OWN! and once it does, turn your internet connection back on and begin the upgrade!

cursivek1d says:

Finally forced an update but wasn't 7.8 :-\

jersey shore says:

OK, it required 3 times update (3 times disconnet ethernet cable) and all works great.

Best way, if you go for airplane mode.

Wow, it actually worked (is currently working). Thanks!

HatimQ says:

anyone did this on the focus??

Sandrot says:

when i try i get cant check for updates right now try again later  and then it says we couldnt connect to the update server disconnect and reconnetc your phone and make sure your computer has internet has that happen to any one else

jessecabrera says:

Just updated my T-Mobile HD7 to 7.8. I used cab sender. It's pretty easy. You don't have to be a genius to do it. Here's the thread that really helped me out. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1306415 You may have to update from mango to tango (8017 to 8773) , if you haven't done so already, first. From tango to 7.8 I had to send Cab files 3 times. From 8773 to 8779 (with language pack), from 8779 to 8783 (without language pack), and from 8783 to 8858 (It's 2 cab files and has a language pack). Hope this helps those HD7 users or others who can't update using the "turn off internet" method.

zdentonz says:

Im trying to manually update my HD7 right now but Im confused by the XDA post even though I read pages of it.  So do I download all four of the cab files for each update? Could you tell me what links you used?  I just dont fully understand it and do not wanna brick my phone.

Dre325 says:

AT&T Lumia 900 here, got the update available on the 3rd try and a half hour later I'm on 7.10.8783.12 (still 7.5).  The backup takes a while.  The only updates it said it was installing were updates for phones without a camera button.  Trying again...
UPDATE: About 6 more tries and I'm currently installing 8858 (i.e. 7.8).  YES.  This is a big win for Nokia.  Not even going to bother with the wife's Focus S as I haven't heard of anyone getting theirs to update yet.

phatboy66 says:

Damn I'm blocked from 8783 to 8858 - Rogers Lumia 900

ArtSooby says:

Keep trying ... you will have it :)
I did it with my 900 with Rogers.

purefire says:

unlocked 900 on rogers here .. thought the same thing but finally getting update as i type this. :).. i pulled sim and killed all wifi and date and airplane mode and waited for 4 seconds.. gl man

jcarvajal says:

the disconnect trick seemed to do the trick for the actual 7.8 update. took several tries. so here goes, currently downloading.

mjyumping says:

The disable internet trick do not work for lumia 610, it has only found nokia update and when I install it, theres an error occured.

mnkhalid2000 says:

Has any had any luck with samsung omnia w in india ?

Wait for 3-5 seconds...... Getting my first update... India ..... HTC Radar

Via the cable trick? Or direct zune connect?

Use zune... wait 6-8 seconds before u disconnect

Was anyone able to update with a Mac???

Wildfire359 says:

Bam! Finally got it on my last attempt of the night.

jbrown9070 says:

I usually don't do all the extra stuff, but this cable trick worked. I'm now using 7.8, but it takes a few tries.

JsLee14 says:

This update process seems to be working on my Nokia 800 guys, Thanks WpCentral for the tip!

Actually, it only updated to 8783. Lumia 900 AT&T.

RobinPaul says:

If you get the first update (with the cable trick?), will you be prompt for the 2nd update (automatically?)

jodybiz says:

I had to force it three times.

RobinPaul says:

im trying to the 2nd one for 2 house now, still nothing :(

2nd Update now..... give it some time to reach the server before u disconnect

agion1 says:

From reading, it appears that most peopel are still doing the cable trick to get the update.  So you all know, my wife's Lumia 900 (AT&T, state of Georgia) was never setup with Zune.  I did so tonight for the first time and, when I did, it checked for updates and gave me 7.8--no cable trick!  I hope this helps!

spadX says:

After 3 hours and 160 attempt...finally got wp 7.8 on my HTC Radar.

court6714 says:

what carrier??

spadX says:

Vidéotron (Canada)

TMaestro says:

Worked for me at the first try. I'm from VN btw.

RobinPaul says:

waw lucky, still trying for 2nd update

RobinPaul says:

i keep getting: Can't check for updates right now. what to do? i unplugged it to early or to late?

jodybiz says:

You disconnect the internet too fast. add a couple of seconds before you disconnect.

dude, can U tell me how ur doing it? Coz im from India as well and I can't find anything on zune

Follow the instructions ... connect phone to computer... start zune..... settings>update..... wait for 5-7 secs and disconnect the internet.... try for a few times.

RobinPaul says:

Alright, got the 2nde force update this morning, so going to try force update 3 later :)

bronzekid91 says:

Okay so i got some other build but its not 7.8 , anyone else get this?

Any luck with HTC HD7S (AT&T)?

suraj.das says:

Anyone from India got an update on their Omnia w?
I got the 8779 update.. But after that Zune says.. Your phone is up to date. I had to get the 8779 update through cable trick.

akashpats says:

try the trick many times, you will get other updates too

jmagwp says:

I couldn't get the connect trick to work on my Titan on AT&T, but just updated everything using the CAB method. F*** yeah!

Thanks to the nerds that are nerdier than me!

nikoli90 says:

Took a few tries but the update is working on my lumia 900 as I type

kinaton says:

Anyone in UK got the update via normal notification.

Downloading it on my Omnia W :) INDIA
for every update you need to do trick. Disconnect after 3-4 seconds. If you have laptop see for wifi lights to judge when to disconnect.
Edit : Please put your phone in airplane mode and after each update disconnect phone and close zune and open and connect again

akashpats says:

could you plz tell me step by step the 3-4 seconds trick.

Thanks, it will be helpful to me

Did you get all 3 updates? I own an Omnia W too, in INDIA. I can't seem to get past the 2nd update!

Never mind! Finally got it! Lost count of the number of tries =D

Ok, after many repeated attempts got the 2nd update. 1st one only took me to 8783.

court6714 says:

Anyone get the updat thats on T-Mobile USA

Dreadi66 says:

Just got it for Lumia 800 using the Zune disconnect trick...There were 3 seperate updates altogether but I persevered and got it done. I'm on Orange in the UK and now quite content with my Lumia... I can avoid shelling out for the new WP8 for now lol

mikeharden says:

I did the manual update with my HTC Arrive in Sprint and works great. So far no issues.

Pelatz says:

Please don't play with your fellow sprint users emotions.

Hellow Zah says:

CONFIRMED  worked with ROGERS Canada L900.  Had to do it twice.  Once to get 8779.  can't believe i didnt have that one already?  then after 3-6 attemps got the 883 one. aka 7.8.  Sweet!!!!

bronzekid91 says:

FINALLY!
Quick tip guys make sure the build number is.8858.136 That is WP7.8
On my first try I got a small update to MANGO , now on my second try , I got 7.8

TURN AIRPLANE MODE ON
AND LEAVE IT ON . WAIT ATLEAST 6-7 SECONDS AND THEN TURN UR WIFI /INTERNET OFF .

If you get the error of "can't connect or check updates at this time" you turned it off too quickly. Be patient, and good luck. Updating now

LUMIA 900 ATT , NYC

rdaskew says:

Connected my Samsung Focus(Rogers) to Zune and boom! update available, 2 updates then updated to 7.10.8858.136, very surprised since I had to do the trick for Mango update.

eddedd1985 says:

Nice!!! Works great LUMIA 800 UK. i instald 3 updates and last one was 8858...finaly. thanks

mnnD says:

Has anyone gotten the error code: C1010009? I have a carrier unlocked ATT branded Nokia Lumia 900. The prompt for the update comes up on it's own. I can start the process. After the step 2 of 10 though, it gives me that error code. I haven't been able to figure out what the code means.

rdaskew says:

Try a different USB port on your computer.

mnnD says:

Wish that helped. Thank you though

tbonenga says:

This will also happen if you don't have enough free memory on your phone.

mnnD says:

I will free up space and see if that is the issue.

Hellow Zah says:

ROGERS USERS NEED AT LEAST 3 UPDATES. to get the 7.8 one.  They are cumualtive so they have to be installed.  the instructions are wrong saying if you get 8779 start over.  What you do is update it everytime.  The number keeps rising until 8853 one.

thaman04 says:

Worked for me!
Rogers Samsung Focus here!

I had to install the first update twice, and then the third update was the big 7.8 (7.20.8858.136) update. :)

silverdoe says:

Anyone got it working with Omnia7 on Orange UK yet?

Alvin Tran says:

Is anybody able to change the default browser search engine? I was able to update my ATT L900 but can't seem to be able to change the default search engine. I thought this feature is included in the update, am I right?

schlubadub says:

No such feature

Shiroi says:

Oh man, I liked the camera button requirement. That's one of the features that mattered to me and made me switch to Windows Phone.

RobinPaul says:

Wel I give up, after 4 hours of trying cable trick. Lumia 710 has 2 updates installed / Lumia 800 has 1 update installed. Hopefully both will say tomorrow: Update Available.

astroboy#WP says:

Worked for me on my Gen 1 Samsung Focus. Three updates in total. Only problem in the directions was I needed to make sure WiFi and cellular on my phone was off too before it would work. Thank you Microsoft for leaving this little loop hole in Zune available to us crazy techies!

thirdday2002 says:

+1 Same exact experience on my old Samsung Focus. My backup phone is 7.8ified!

StevePT says:

What carrier is your guy's Samsung Focus 1st Gens on?

kim q says:

Follow the steps and was able to update on the fourth try. But now after updating to 7.8, and going to into the marketplace and look at an app, then side scroll to see more details but once it reaches the related apps an error comes up: Marketplace error, we're sorry but we can't complete your request right now. Try launching Marketplace again. If the problem continues, check back in a little while, or try restarting your phone. error code: 80070057. I have restart the phone many times and waited about two hours and the result is the same. Anyone else getting the same error?

oscarbum says:

I've spent the last ten hours trying to get this to work on my Lumia. Decided it would just be easier to cancel AT&T. Problem solved. Yay!

xconomicron says:

haha good luck with that...ATT will not miss you.

baj78 says:

And give up the "surf the web while you talk"? Lol

tororojo says:

NO LUCK WITH TITAN 2,ive done force updates before and im having no luck...anybody having issues with titan 2?

djdoubt03 says:

No go here either, wish someone would verify if a Titan II update is coming and if the got it.

all_trev says:

GOT IT!!!! or atleast beginning to download the update. boomshakalaka Lumia 900

Shobiz says:

I tried for 2 hours. O don't see how you guys get to wait 4-5 seconds. I have to pull the plug as soon as it says "checking." It gives me 2 seconds at the most.

all_trev says:

after you ran the first update check did you unplug your phone from the computer, reconnect and run the update check again? you should have enough time then. But really 2 seconds should be enough to disconnect from the internet

tororojo says:

same here shobiz, which phone are you trying to update?

Shobiz says:

Nokia Lumia 900 on At&T.  I did everything that everyone has mention.

RazaNaqvi says:

I managed to update my Lumia 900, but I don't see the new start screen. The version number indicates I have build 8858 running, but even when I hold down on a tile on the start, I don't see more size options like I expected. What gives?

I updated my Lumia 710. I have now Windows Phone 7.8 but the application to share bluetooth does not work. It says that is not compatible with the version of operating system...

bronzekid91 says:

Try restating your phone .

ramrac says:

I wrote a post about how to force the update with sucess and without any luck and "feeling" here, maybe you can include the relevance of waiting for the network connection to show a sign of clear activity before pulling the plug (otherwise you get a "no connection" error - waiting to long will get you a "no update found") into this article. You can check it if you want, the last updates from 7.0 to 7.8 since I have had my phone, it always took me 10-40 tries, now that I have found that trick it worked on the first try every single time.

akashpats says:

what's the trick ??

ramrac says:

Here's the direct link to my comment (it's on another wpcentral article, I am not poaching for clicks, don't worry):

I updated my Lumia 710. I have now Windows Phone 7.8, but the application Bluetooth Share does not work. I downloaded it from Marketplace, but when I open it, says that does not work with the version of my Operating System... :(

Bee Mon says:

Updating now on my unlocked Lumia 710 from Malaysia. The update was detected immediately so I did not have to force it.

goofbox says:

Just got my phone to pick up the update using the "disconnect" method ...Rogers/Canada. It took several tries and it looks like I was missing 2 updates prior to....it's updating right now! cannot wait!

Can anybody help me? I have a Nokia Lumia 900 (AT&T) and it says my phone is up to date. Why wont it let me install 7.8?

Well I just got the forced update to work so we will wait and see if it fully installs. :)

RobinPaul says:

I forced 1 of the 3 updates on my phone and cant force the other 2, will i still get them after (like automatically from the server / getting a message saying i have update, cause i get fed up after 4 hours trying

Jack Gmt says:

Help me I completed Update my phone To 7.8
but I got only 2 update 1st showing from nokia telling camera support without key
and 2nd is for os build 7.10.8858.136
but there is no blutooth share or ringtone maker on marketplace
what to do?

boss.king says:

OK, I have 8858 installing now. The trick I found is to let it check properly the first time (and between updates), then try the disconnect trick. I didn';t let it check after the first update and it didn't work for ages, tried again and let it check fully, nailed out the next step, let it check fully again, and then got 8858 after a 2 second count.

Good luck guys

RegalWinston says:

Yeah I can't get it to force updated. Womp womp. Patience is a virtue

I do have an AT&T Lumia 900. I couldn't update with my mac. I downloaded Zune on my friends Computer and the update with the cable trick worked at the first time. I like the different sizes of the tiles. But i truly like only one theme colour. Not really a huge update.

cowboy620 says:

I have a friend at Verizon that works in tech I'll find out when and if Verizon gonna release the update for trophy. Watch for my comment right here later today.

zorb58 says:

Any word on that Verizon Trophy?

It's later today...now. Although, I'm sure the answer will be "Nope, no Android updates this week. What? Trophy's not Android?"

wetworker says:

I updated mine from earlier this evening. Rogers - Toronto - Canada.
Here is my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQvFolAWUg

MattLFC says:

Same old WP shite, instead of just making the update available when connected to Zune, lets fook the process up, so we leave some users waiting for months, whilst the update is clearly available to roll out... And people wonder why im gradually becoming disillusioned with Microsoft and windows phone...

bronzekid91 says:

We waited for more than 6 months and all we got was these lousy times..

I guess for MISFT a screenshot function might come when WP7.9.99 arrives..... IN 2014!
Fu** this , im going back to iphone , at least they have something called UNIVERSAL SEARCH

bronzekid91 says:

We waited for more than 6 months and all we got was these lousy tiles..

schlubadub says:

Noone ever said it was coming to WP7... but it is in WP8

barnettb99 says:

We have ATT and live in KY ... Iwe have Lumia 900 cyan .. Did hers from Navifirm and Nokia Suite. Working perfect ...

jamsjordn says:

No luck on both an unlocked HTC Titan and a Telstra HTC Mozart which is supposed to be unlocked. I'll give it a day hopefully it is just overloaded servers and dodgy internet and not my meddling with my Titan's ROMs.

schlubadub says:

Unlocked doesn't necessarily mean unbranded. Unlocked means you can use any SIM, like the HD7 phone I have which is a Telstra branded device (I use Vodafone though). I still have to wait for Telstra to release the updates. However, I have done the cable-disconnect-trick and it's currently updating (the 2nd update so far).

pookiewood says:

Finally got my father in laws ATT L900 updating.  Someone mentioned counting to 4 Mississippis but it took me seven Mississippis.  Everyones internet connections are different experiment with counting.

perfectly worked on HTC Titan i received updates me now wp 7.8

TechnoTim says:

1202 am I see the update on Nokia Lumia 900 att

TechnoTim says:

1202 am update available on Nokia Lumia 900 ATT

williewillus says:

Successful, ATT 900
3 tries for firmware update, another 3 for 7.8

Jack Gmt says:

Oh yes update give me to pair my phone with laptop via bluetooth

Jack Gmt says:

somebody help me where is bluetooth share app

Gilgameshi says:

The network cable trick works, but takes awhile to get the timing down; just don't forget to turn the internet back on before pressing that update button!

ResonantEcho says:

I just updated my "HTC Arrive" (Sprint) using the manual method.  Works great.  I installed each update (total of 3) one at a time.  I'm now running 7.8.  Now to play with my icons tomorrow. ;)

noshiro21 says:

does anybody know if they will have it for the LG quantum? i notice that i need to run zune, does it work with windows 8 OS? please reply to my comment with a response...thanks.

goldy17venky says:

Thanks A Lot wpcentral.com !!! Worked for my Lumia 900.. Though have to try atleast 20-30 times before getting it, but finally have it !! Yeahhhh !!

I used the 'forcing' method to update my Lumia 610 on Koodo in Canada. During the afternoon this method went very smoothly to force the Nokia Update and the preliminary Update for Windows Phone 7.10.8783.12 Update. However it took me until late evening to receive 8858.136. Fat tiles filling up the screen! Thank you Microsoft, Nokia and Koodo.

Update my htc 7 mozart to Windows Phone 7.10.8858.136
Rumanian . tnx

Jack Gmt says:

hey anybody getting bluetooth share or ringtone maker
i don't get it after update

xconomicron says:

Haven't been released by NOkia...yet.

In fact about 3 weeks ago, it was released to the marketplace (as I had installed ringtone maker to my Titan). However, after I flashed to another custom rom, it appeared Nokia took them off the marketplace for a later release date.

Tafkas373 says:

Man, it is smooth!!! Feels like a new phone to me. I like Xboxish touch on the Zune tile too. Awesome! L800

monigal2 says:

I haven't gotten it yet :-(, L900

TimothyAk says:

For all the Dutch people in the Netherlands. My lumia 800 is updating right now to 7.8. It took me like 30 min and it is just a matter of waiting and patience.

iamoniwaban says:

So close with this force method. I attach phone, click update, disconnect from WiFi. It checks for a bit, then my phone alerts me there is an update. However since I am,disconnected when I reconnect it searches again and it says no updates.

Scatty69 says:

forcing it on my l710 cro t-mob :D

Payam ACE says:

got it without doing any tricks, just connected the phone to the Windows Phone 7 Connector on my Mac. (wifi on the phone was also on)
Lumia800 unlocked, Finland

dave_ronak says:

Hey guys,
I just received WP 7.8... Loving it!! =)
but I just wonder, can anyone tell me if home + lock screen takes a screenshot.
I know it does on WP8 but does it on 7.8.

Lumia 800 Singapore Locale - residing in UAE, no carrier lock

Scatty69 says:

why dont you just try?

HTC mozart being updated right now... I didn't have to disconnect my internet. I plugged in my Zune and it automatically detected the new update..
7.8 is downloading as I type. I had to go through 2 other small updates before this one.
One for a fix for an email syncing issue and the 2 one for was that 'no camera button' thing.
Located right under India. :)

THE EXCITEMENT IS OVERWHELMING!!!!!

I am now officially on 7.8!! :D THANK YOU MS ..

C4RL0S says:

LG Optimus 7 on Telus in Canada.
It took about 20 tries using the disconnect trick, but it finally updated. I had to repeat the process 2 more times for more updates. But after getting the first update, each next update only took a couple tries. Remember to turn off wifi and data on the phone.

EAA575 says:

Works on HTC Arrive. The Start Screen makes a huge difference! And the update just makes the phone feel fresh :D

windows phone 7.8
No bluetooth share
No Ringtone maker
No Google set "home"
My guess is that this update is no different from 7.5 Can only new Live Tiles

Jack Gmt says:

oh and i think only i who doesn't get bluetooth share and ringtone maker

I tried this method for 2 hours using Wi-Fi on a laptop. I couldn't get my LG Quantum to update as it kept on giving the "No internet" message. I then read comments which said that it meant that I disconnected too soon. I tried for an hour, this time timing with a stop watch. The message for "phone up to date" appeared at 4.5 seconds. I tried disconnecting from 3-4.5 seconds and nothing worked. After that second hour, I just gave up.
Either the update hasn't come to the LG Quantum in Australia, the servers haven't gotten the file yet or that doing it with Wi-Fi in Australia is next to impossible.
If anyone can give advice, it would be much appreciated. Or if there is another method for force updating, please reply ASAP
If not, I'll just try with ethernet when I can.

alekalek says:

Thanks for the clear instructions! Worked for me without a problem here in Switzerland (unlocked 710 on Orange). I did have to go through two updates before "7.8" came along.

ktmlycan says:

Hi I'm from Singapore just updated to WP 7.8 Singtel Carrier. The trick works! Just need a little patience and to find the correct timing to unplug the Ethernet cable. The timing is quite random, it may be 1-5 secs it depends. If after the first update you don't see the 7.8 start screen, don't worry, just repeat the process again as I had to update twice to get it. One thing to note is do not ever try to turn on the cellular connection in your settings after zune and your phone prompt you "Update Found" which I did, it immediately cancelled my update and stated no updates found and I have to go over the process again. You may go here http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/lumia-software-update/ to confirm the firmware is correct and up to date for your Lumia.

Duffau says:

If I've already updated via cab files (impatient me), can I still get on Zune and get the firmware updates or is it too late?

Nilesh Jena says:

Just running the 3rd update i.e 8858 update.
The phone is going to update 3 times so you will have search for updates unplug and replug ethernet cable 3 times,
Lumia 710 here in India.

mrad_man says:

after like 20 times trying to force the update, it finally came through.. :-) I don't know if it helped, I changed my phone's name and immediately after that forcing to update worked..

Omnia 7 - tmobile - Croatia

Gavin Fielke says:

My GF got the update automatically but I had to force it all 4 updates before I got to the final one.
It would seem that there needs to be the 3 incrimental updates installed before the final one goes in so keep on updating until a feature mentioned in one of the top paragraphs is "20 accent colours"
The below link shows all of the updates going in today one after the other.

Gavin Fielke says:

I can't edit my post but forgot to mention how important turning off your phones data is.
I tried a few times before I realised I had made that mistake.
Either turn off wifi and mobile data which are two seperate settings or just enter Airplane Mode before trying the update otherwise you still have an internet connection no matter how many times you pull your network cable.

Jameson Chu says:

Thanks!!! Worked on my Nokia Lumia 800! Took me 3 tries, waited for about 5 secs then disconnect Wi-fi! :D

Pages