Skulls of the Shogun now available for Windows Phone

Skulls of the Shogun

It's a little early but Skulls of the Shogun is now live in the Windows Phone Store.

Due to be released tomorrow, January 30th, the newest Xbox title not only breaks the drought of Xbox game releases but also spans the full gaming spectrum with versions for Windows 8/RT and Xbox Live Arcade as well as for Windows Phone 8 and 7.x.

With the release comes special pricing as well. The Windows Phone version is discounted to $4.99, the Windows 8 version will run your $9.99 and the Xbox Live Arcade version launches at 1200 Microsoft Point (about $15).

While we are seeing the Windows Phone version of Skulls of the Shogun appearing in the Windows Phone Store, it's yet to make it to the Windows 8 or Xbox Store. Hopefully it's just a case of the other stores being a little behind our Windows Phone Store front.

There is a trial version available for Skulls of the Shogun and you can pick up your Windows Phone version here in the Store.

Thanks, Kei, for the tip!

QR: Skulls of the Shogun (Windows Phone)

Comments

Cross our fingers...

Mister Gore says:

Downloading it now, been excited for this for a while. Planning on getting the WP8 version and the XBLA version as well.

Sweet present! I didn't expect a trial...

nrask7 says:

Getting it now!

Anyone see if it was released for the Surface yet?

Yeah...it could have changed since I read it, duesch-bag.

Sorry. Some tool asked me of I could read, then deleted his comment.

igadget says:

I thought it great entertainment with just your comments. keep up the good work :)

K_lando says:

Ummm... your inter-webs spelling of 'douchebag' doesn't really help your cause though.
Also seems like a rather unnecessary question to be honest....
Win 8 Store> SEARCH> 'Shogun'... thats certainly gotta be more efficient and quicker than posting the question in comments and waiting for replies, no?

gunnerou says:

Just purchased for the surface!

ChrisLynch says:

Yep, it's live in the Windows 8 Store.  Just downloaded it on my L920 and Win8 laptop.

expectafight says:

Anyone notice the entry in the windows phone store says it was last updated 1/11?

Judge_Daniel says:

What exactly is the connection between the three versions? Are they three separate games with the same name? Can you pause on one and play on the other?

Iskassasya says:

I haven't seen any log stating they sync together. I believe they are stand alone version available on multiple platforms...i would love to be proven wrong though.

Terrin says:

THey have cloud saving so if you save a game you can pick up and continue on another and cross platform multiplayer so you can play people on xbox and w8 using async mp which is pretty cool *also you can take ur turn on wp8 and then do your turn on xbox* its the first true 3 screen game we have

hacer619 says:

gonna buy it now

wpwaukesha says:

I'm not a big gamer, nor do I play a lot of games on my phone but I have been watching the progress of this game. I love the aesthetics, the story line and music. I just downloaded this (1/29/13) and played the game through my blue tooth speaker. it is a cool game, looks so good on my Nokia Lumia 820! Highly recommend.

Nakazul says:

So small. With all the fuzz I thought this game to be 200mb+. Now I'm thinking that the hype around the game can only make us disappointed. Will try it when I get to WiFi.

Banstyle says:

Lol so much disappointment just over file size.

elvisff says:

Not the size of the game, but how well it plays... :)

Nakazul says:

True for all your comments, but look at what im really meaning here, its telling how much content there is in the game. I was thinking that SoS would be a graphical master peace. A game can be fun being 10mb but I with the buzz around the game, I thought it to be a graphical heavy super game. I am longing for one. The style of graphics seems cool and all and the game might be fun (not my first impression), just was hoping for more.

sejgiul says:

Actually a game's size doesn't make a difference at all. Levels can be auto-generated from a script, the sprites can be re-used throughout different levels etc.

Frustrating that you have to have WiFi to download larger apps and games... Let me use the LTE for what it would work best with... large files!

andrewq911 says:

I second that!

spyderzWPC says:

got it downloaded (WP8 version) so far so good...

navidee says:

Can't wait to get home so I can download over wifi

Terrin says:

also hope this is the end to the drought hopefully next week we get nova 3

MacDaMachine says:

I think the graphics could be a lot better than what they are imo. And everything is so blown up on the menu it feels like it isn't at 720p resolution...

MacDaMachine says:

And the battery drain was really bad...

ChazTyldsley says:

I thought this too... Disappointing

TechAbstract says:

This game is made for WP7 too. I don't expect crazy graphics. Games that are made for WP8 only, do look great.

MacDaMachine says:

I know wp8 games can look great. I got chimpact and it looks nice and crisp.

dubnukem says:

I was also hoping it would be optimized for WP8, but i think the awesomeness of the game makes up for the lower resolution.

JamesDax3 says:

Very good game so far.  Great graphics and nice humor.  Controls are easy to master.

Iskassasya says:

Just completed the trial, now buying. I got addicted straight away.

sanders2232 says:

Nice, I like the graphics it seems very smooth and clear. Fun game so far.

DreadVenom says:

Great game. Now all we need it this to continue going forward. Come on MS, we have new hardware, so lets push it.

darth3pio says:

That's what was said about Games for Windows - LIVE ....

InkabodCrane says:

Been playing for the last half hour on the phone, it's already super fun and charming. Can't wait to get the Surface version.

bcasteel says:

Downloading...

Sulslim says:

Now this day must be the Holiday Because MS decided to release the Game !!!! Wow ??? And how much month should we wait till the next game ????

Paul Acevedo says:

Maybe you could not just complain all the time?

NickyNichols says:

It is probably the best game available for WP. And we need to buy the hell out of it so Microsoft doesn't forget about us, this is our chance to show them. $5 is pricy, but so is a value meal at mcdonalds and this probably won't give you diahhrea, its a win-win.

TonyDedrick says:

I'll try it. But I'm not gonna buy something just for the heck of it.

nathanb131 says:

Strange, mcd's usually constipates me. I'm assuming from lack of fiber. Taco bell though....woooosh!

CJ Thunder says:

While playing the intro movie my phone locked. Anyone else have that happen? To play multiplayer on the console, do you have to have Xbox Live gold? Multiplayer on two phones, do I have to be connected to the internet or just WiFi?

darth3pio says:

I'm afraid Gold is a necessity on XBox for Multiplayer.

Meathooks says:

If I was to buy one version between Windows RT or WP8, which might be the better experience?

Probably Windows RT. Bigger display, the battery on the phone dies pretty fast, and the resolution will probably be a bit better too.

Definitely the RT version. Played on my L822 first at first and then with an Xbox controller on my surface. Gaming bliss.

hacer619 says:

downloaded it on my lumia 920 and now my mozart

Ignotum666 says:

downloading the trial version...

joeynox says:

Great game but it is eating my battery

KevlarGibs says:

Windows 8 version is live now.

Downloading the trial now, hoping it's amazing.

aaa6112 says:

Sorry for the ignorance, but why does the last updated date show 1/11/2013 in the store?

That can possibly be when the game had gone "gold" and finished being developed.

johaas says:

Darn it, my my Microsoft gift card account from bing rewards was 3 cents short after tax (but not buying it was never an option). Oh well, now I have some credit to buy Mehdoh with!

simpkijd says:

Kinda tedious on a Lumia 920 screen. Cool looking graphics and and the animation is fun.

Kei Square says:

man, surprise to see it when i did the search earlier... this game is a battery killer!

CrackFachry says:

Yay! Finally a new game that's available straight away in our Region. Gonna buy it when I got a wifi connection.

jhoff80 says:

The graphics are horrible on the phone.  Tons of jagged edges, and altogether blurry; my guess is that part of it is upscaled.
It's a shame, because it looks a ton better on the Surface RT (which nearly has the same resolution).  It's too bad that the Windows Phone 8 version doesn't take advantage of the better quality assets they're using on the tablet.

JamesDax3 says:

Must be something wrong with your phone. Looks great on my 8X.

MacDaMachine says:

Agreed jhoff. Graphics are seriously underwhelming on my 920.

ChazTyldsley says:

Same here on my 920. Very underwhelming looks like a title made for pre-wp8 phones. Low res blown up

This is why we can't have nice things... If we don't buy WP games with large production values like SoS (not to mention exclusive) we might never see its like again. The game play is top notch and the artwork is great. Not sure I agree with your numerous complaints about the graphics.

pfroo40 says:

It's not native 720p, has black bars on my 8x and I'm pretty disappointed that they didn't make a version that showcases the quality of newer screens. There are tons of Android games that have different texture packs, resolutions and graphical effects based on what chipset you're using so they could have easily done the same. That being said, I think the graphical style, polish and performance are great and IMO it's easily the best game available for WP.

brandoshido says:

Bought without a trial. But there's already 5 star reviews. Good old hype machine, how is it 5 stars when the games been out for not even a day yet?

Hanhua Yin says:

Must be first impression roses.

Bill McGee says:

Not bad, playing trial on L920. Sure cranks some heat on the processor!

Milk21 says:

Yeah same here Bill.

TechAbstract says:

Fun game, not bad graphics at all.

Hanhua Yin says:

i have trouble signing into xbox live on windows 8 version. wp8 version works ok

CodeFuzion says:

Same. Also can't see saved game from phone version on surface version. Other games can log into live.

cowboy620 says:

Just downloaded trial version no issues will buy full version reminds of total war shogun for my PC great game.

jlynnm350z says:

Played for about 3 minutes on my Lumia 920 and you could have cooked a hotdog on my phone. If I played any longer it would be a pile of melted plastic.

insi says:

HD graphics where are you? Hello? C'mon, it looks a little awful without you...

DaSchnee says:

For 4,99€(6,99€) this game should have HD textures... Really disappointing. I bought it anyway to support the platform...

marbig says:

Fun game, wish it were made for wp8 though. My 920 screen feels so wasted here...

Dare2Blink says:

Played for about 20 min and bought it straight away. Awesome game play, controls and art style. The humour is the icing on the cake

jlynnm350z says:

How about a first person shooter game? God, halo would be sooo amazing!!

lemonsteveo says:

Looks like it's restricted to certain regions, can't download in Hong Kong.

tranite says:

So there is no HD graphics? I was worried that is was my Lumia, because I felt it was better the first time I played it. Then my phone froze and I had to soft reset and then I saw the low resolution.. So it's not HD?

MacDaMachine says:

Its definitely not HD, very disappointing. And it isn't optimized well at all because my phone cooks while it played the trial. No buy for me until those two get fixed.

Vheissu says:

Runs great looks awesome, definitely worth the $4.99.

busngabb says:

Those complaining about the lack of hd graphics need a bit of perspective. This is a fully fledged console strategy game that in terms of playability hasn't been dumbed down AT ALL. It is a fantastic game, easily the best game on Windows Phone and up there with the best on any mobile system, if not better.

Paul Acevedo says:

Als, the Windows Phone version was in development for quite a long time and went into certification back in August, before WP8 became available. It couldn't have been optimized for WP8 without causing all three versions to suffer another delay.

Like the game, but two issues, one it drains battery real fast, two, I only played the trial but with large number of troops it is difficult to find and position people, I also had an issue where the second round no words were spoken, the dialogue is witty...i feel it would be much better on w8 or rt

jhoff80 says:

Neither has Civilization Revolution, but that doesn't stop me from saying that port looks like garbage too.  One can enjoy a game and still wish that they had put out a version that takes advantage of the hardware.

Besides, people are using the fact that the WP7 version was already near the end of its cycle by the time the WP8 SDK came out... but the fact that the developer has a WinRT version means that they were already most of the way to getting a native WP8 version.

Paul Acevedo says:

It still would've meant a delay for all three versions though.

KingKapa says:

Phone battery died!!! WHILE PLUGGED INTO CHARGER!! for a game thats far from graphically intence (great artwork but its not hardware taxing) thats insane!!!

busngabb says:

It is insane. What phone do you have? I have played an hour on battery with no problems.

soumitro316 says:

difficult game

Banstyle says:

Played the first level this morning, geniunely awesome. First game in a long time that I can't wait to pick up and play again.

whitecow says:

do i need xbox gold to play skulls in multiplayer?

Paul Acevedo says:

Not if you're playing the WIndos 8 or Windows Phone versions.

segadc says:

Asking again (asked via games forum) can you save your progress in campaign and pick it up from Surface/W8 or 360?  I read it does but I don't see how.  Are all saves on Windows Phone synced via the cloud?  Haven't bought it for W8 and/or 360 until I know for sure I can do it.  Thanks!

edit:  opps now I see (loading online) so that answers my question.